Author Topic: Worst single financial mistake you've made?  (Read 21595 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Worst single financial mistake you've made?
« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2022, 10:35:33 AM »
Without a doubt, my biggest financial mistake was buying a first home in mid 2007 right out of college. Digging myself out of debt was excruciating.  If I’d just rented a place and invested it would have been several hundred thousand dollars difference today. I dont blame myself, because The decision making process was sound, I just got blindsided like everyone else. The silver lining is that the stress of that situation forced some incredible saving and earning habits.
Sounds like you still have the house.  What's it worth now?

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2022, 01:57:24 AM »
My wife has never been good with money, by her own admission. It's not a problem of spending, she is generally thrifty and mostly frugal - it's a syntax issue. Her parents never, ever, ever taught her or her siblings how to earn, save, and spend money beyond what you would typically learn at a public high school.

FWIW, my wife and myself had the same issue.  I suspect that most middle class Americans have this problem.  In my family, we just didn't talk about money, and in my wife's family, the extent of their financial advice was to tell her not to spend money.  Now that I have kids, I'm still not totally sure how I'm going to break this cycle because I didn't really get it as a kid. 

Sorry if this was already addressed. @rothwem, I found the book "The First National Bank of Dad" by David Owen helpful with teaching children about money.

Also, simply start talking to them about money, and tell them that your family didn't talk about money when you were growing up, so you made lots of mistakes.  Discuss why you purchased one product rather than another, how to select for quality or service, how to save up for a big purchase, the two-edged credit sword, the idea of opportunity cost.  Give them an allowance so that they can make their own decisions, including mistakes.

Thoughtful Mule

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2022, 07:51:25 PM »
Without a doubt, my biggest financial mistake was buying a first home in mid 2007 right out of college. Digging myself out of debt was excruciating.  If I’d just rented a place and invested it would have been several hundred thousand dollars difference today. I dont blame myself, because The decision making process was sound, I just got blindsided like everyone else. The silver lining is that the stress of that situation forced some incredible saving and earning habits.
Sounds like you still have the house.  What's it worth now?

I do still own the house, but it’s been a mediocre investment at best. I leveraged myself into a pit of debt and used my beginning-of-career w2 earnings to dig out of it when I really should have been investing. Too proud to walk away, but that may have been a better financial decision. What I really gained from this costly lesson was motivation. I used it to take a risky job with less desirable conditions and used it to learn about real estate investing. Both paid off.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2022, 04:37:59 AM »
My biggest financial mistake was co-signing on a car loan with a female friend-with-benefits.  She had joined me in an MLM business (another large financial mistake on my part - I spent down a $15k inheritance from my grandmother trying to make it work) and needed a car.

She drove the vehicle and agreed to let me know if she ever had trouble with it financially.  Our on-again off-again FWB relationship continued amicably, we even told each other about the new people we were dating.

I was speaking with a mutual friend one day who remarked, oh btw did you hear about so-and-so's car?  The bank took it.  The same day - I'm sure my poor emotional reaction contributed - I crashed my own car.  Nobody was injured, but now I actually needed the repo'd car.  I asked the bank how much they wanted before I could pick up the car, and they replied, we're not sure you're going to want the car given its condition.

My credit cards were almost maxed, then I borrowed to the limit to come up with the cash (~$950 if memory serves) to get the car back from the bank.  The car was full of laundry, McDonald's bags, mostly-empty soda cans thrown in the back... and the glove compartment was loaded up with parking tickets and a few moving violations for expired tags.  I called the jurisdiction in which all the tickets had been accumulated - I was also living there at the time - and they told me it was ~$2500 (this was the late 1980s), almost as much as the balance on the loan at the time.  I was lucky that the bank and not this particular jurisdiction had picked up the car.

Since I didn't have the cash for the parking tickets, I called my father and had him register the car in another jurisdiction.  Nobody ever followed up by matching the VIN, I guess computers were pretty dumb back then.  Crisis narrowly averted.

I picked up a new fender from a junk yard to fix the one my ex-with-benefits had mashed in, fixed the broken window, changed the oil & filter, and asked her to sign over the title to me because she had broken our agreement.  Amazingly, she signed!  She was also repaying me for the three months of back payments, repo, and storage fees the bank had charged.  Then she moved away and gave me a check in exchange for picking up her possessions.  Of course, the check bounced.  I spazzed and threatened to file bad-check charges, a felony.  A money order showed up in due course for the remainder she owed me.

Fortunately I made these mistakes when I was young & foolish and had little to lose.  I resolved never to cosign on a loan with anyone with whom I wasn't married, and never to join another MLM.  Probably not a huge mistake all things concerned, though I was this close to bankruptcy.

I found ever better-paying jobs, controlled expenses, and paid down the CCs so that I could settle up every month without incurring interest.  Lessons learned and passed down to the next generation ("Dad, you were soooooooooo foolish!!!  You cosigned a car loan for sex??").

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #254 on: September 02, 2022, 04:40:40 AM »
My biggest financial mistake was co-signing on a car loan with a female friend-with-benefits.  She had joined me in an MLM business (another large financial mistake on my part - I spent down a $15k inheritance from my grandmother trying to make it work) and needed a car.

She drove the vehicle and agreed to let me know if she ever had trouble with it financially.  Our on-again off-again FWB relationship continued amicably, we even told each other about the new people we were dating.

I was speaking with a mutual friend one day who remarked, oh btw did you hear about so-and-so's car?  The bank took it.  The same day - I'm sure my poor emotional reaction contributed - I crashed my own car.  Nobody was injured, but now I actually needed the repo'd car.  I asked the bank how much they wanted before I could pick up the car, and they replied, we're not sure you're going to want the car given its condition.

My credit cards were almost maxed, then I borrowed to the limit to come up with the cash (~$950 if memory serves) to get the car back from the bank.  The car was full of laundry, McDonald's bags, mostly-empty soda cans thrown in the back... and the glove compartment was loaded up with parking tickets and a few moving violations for expired tags.  I called the jurisdiction in which all the tickets had been accumulated - I was also living there at the time - and they told me it was ~$2500 (this was the late 1980s), almost as much as the balance on the loan at the time.  I was lucky that the bank and not this particular jurisdiction had picked up the car.

Since I didn't have the cash for the parking tickets, I called my father and had him register the car in another jurisdiction.  Nobody ever followed up by matching the VIN, I guess computers were pretty dumb back then.  Crisis narrowly averted.

I picked up a new fender from a junk yard to fix the one my ex-with-benefits had mashed in, fixed the broken window, changed the oil & filter, and asked her to sign over the title to me because she had broken our agreement.  Amazingly, she signed!  She was also repaying me for the three months of back payments, repo, and storage fees the bank had charged.  Then she moved away and gave me a check in exchange for picking up her possessions.  Of course, the check bounced.  I spazzed and threatened to file bad-check charges, a felony.  A money order showed up in due course for the remainder she owed me.

Fortunately I made these mistakes when I was young & foolish and had little to lose.  I resolved never to cosign on a loan with anyone with whom I wasn't married, and never to join another MLM.  Probably not a huge mistake all things concerned, though I was this close to bankruptcy.

I found ever better-paying jobs, controlled expenses, and paid down the CCs so that I could settle up every month without incurring interest.  Lessons learned and passed down to the next generation ("Dad, you were soooooooooo foolish!!!  You cosigned a car loan for sex??").
Wow - that’s a made-for-Hollywood Rom-Com script right there.
Sorry you went through all that, but it gave me a chuckle this morning.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2022, 02:17:52 PM »
Wow - that’s a made-for-Hollywood Rom-Com script right there.
Sorry you went through all that, but it gave me a chuckle this morning.

Actually, I hadn't thought of that, and if I could figure out a more dramatic happy ending than the boring real one, it could work!  I also leave out some of the sexier details that would spice up the film.

I don't think I laughed at myself very much when that was all going down, but that was a looooong time ago and things have mostly turned out ok.  Hope others here enjoy the story as well.

BiscuitsandGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2022, 04:12:00 PM »
Edited: High student loan debt, $179k remaining on my loans for grad school, husband has around $35k for undergrad. I’m 39 and will be paying these on my deathbed. 😵
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:52:30 PM by BiscuitsandGuy »

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
High Six figure student loan debt for grad school. I’m 39 and will be paying these on my deathbed. 😵

What does high six figures mean? 800k?

BiscuitsandGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2022, 07:53:34 PM »
High Six figure student loan debt for grad school. I’m 39 and will be paying these on my deathbed. 😵

What does high six figures mean? 800k?

Whoops, I was tired, made sense in my head when I typed it. Edited post. Over $200k between husband and I.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2022, 01:14:22 PM »
My wife has never been good with money, by her own admission. It's not a problem of spending, she is generally thrifty and mostly frugal - it's a syntax issue. Her parents never, ever, ever taught her or her siblings how to earn, save, and spend money beyond what you would typically learn at a public high school.

FWIW, my wife and myself had the same issue.  I suspect that most middle class Americans have this problem.  In my family, we just didn't talk about money, and in my wife's family, the extent of their financial advice was to tell her not to spend money.  Now that I have kids, I'm still not totally sure how I'm going to break this cycle because I didn't really get it as a kid. 

Sorry if this was already addressed. @rothwem, I found the book "The First National Bank of Dad" by David Owen helpful with teaching children about money.

Also, simply start talking to them about money, and tell them that your family didn't talk about money when you were growing up, so you made lots of mistakes.  Discuss why you purchased one product rather than another, how to select for quality or service, how to save up for a big purchase, the two-edged credit sword, the idea of opportunity cost.  Give them an allowance so that they can make their own decisions, including mistakes.

Hey thanks for this.  I put it on hold with Libby, might be worth actually buying the book though to have it around.  My kids are only 3 years and 6 months old, but I feel like money is a topic that's going to come up in the next year or so with the older one.