Author Topic: Women (or lovers of clothes) how much do you spend on clothes?  (Read 4957 times)

Mellabella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Women (or lovers of clothes) how much do you spend on clothes?
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:44:18 AM »
Hi! I’m new here & new to the whole FI idea. I’m curious how much per month/year people particularly women spend on clothes? I like to buy good quality things rather than cheap things that don’t last but I find it hard not to spend a fortune. I live in Australia where clothes are not cheap but luckily I’m a social worker so don’t have to dress up much for work. Any tips?

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Women (or lovers of clothes) how much do you spend on clothes?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:12:11 AM »
I would find it very difficult to come up with an 'average' amount spent on clothes because it completely depends what wears out, what new circumstances I have to be able to dress for that I couldn't before, or what item really really tempts me.

In our first (so far only) full year of tracking spending, my husband and I spent £411.73 on clothes. I didn't track how much was mine, and how much was his, it probably leaned slightly more toward mine. The bulk of that (over £300) was cold-weather gear we didn't already own because we went on an Arctic trip. Real cold-weather gear is more expensive than I was expecting! The rest breaks down to shoes for both of us as they wore out, and several 'I just want them' items for me.

Barring unusual circumstances, most people by the time they reach adulthood have a lot of clothes. Rarely people are in the circumstance where they simply don't have enough clothes and need to acquire a larger quantity. Buying new clothes at that point tends to break down into: (a) replacing things as they wear out or don't fit, (b) buying things for a specific purpose or mode that you don't already own or don't own enough of for a new circumstance (arctic wear example above -- or starting a new job that dresses smart when you've previously been in jeans and t-shirts -- or beginning to cycle and needing cycle gear, etc), (c) dressing for changing fashions e.g. "I am really into how people are wearing mustard now, I should buy a mustard blouse while they are in the shops"/"I just LOVE that, I have to have it", or (d) recreational shopping, e.g. choosing to browse shops or online shops and buy what takes your fancy, giving yourself a 'clothes budget' to acquire more stuff.

There's going to be a lot of variety in clothes spend, because some people really only do (a) and (b). I do some amount of (c) and I'm happy with that choice and might even do more next year. I imperfectly try to avoid (d). Both (c) and especially (d) can expand to fit whatever budget you allow, so clothing spend for a typical adult in a typical year can really range from 0 to infinity.

If you're finding it hard not to overspend, it might help to work out what 'type' of clothing purchases are actually causing you to overspend. If it's (a) or (b), you will need strategies to acquire what you need cheaper, or to decide you can do without by changing something else. If it's (c) or (d), well, that spending is really 100% optional (maybe excepting if you work in fashion or something and have to look up-to-date) so it's ultimately an issue of expectations and willpower.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 02:27:17 AM »
What do you consider a 'fortune'? If you buy higher quality clothes that last long, you'll barely have to buy clothes as they will last 5+ years!

Personally, I spent 170 euros on clothes in the last 12 months or YTD (no clothes bought in Nov/Dec 2017). This includes a bikini, 2 pairs of shoes (1 second hand), some underwear and socks, a pair of jeans and a pair of shorts. Oh, I also bought a legging for sports at some point but guess I categorized it as sports in my budget.

I buy what I'd call medium quality clothes. No items where I pay for the brand. Some of my clothes wear out relatively quickly (e.g. jeans) but that's because I keep only a low number of them and wear them VERY often. The only think I spent much on are bras as I have a difficult size and large boobs don't allow for cheap bras. But they last long so I only buy about 1 bra/year.

Note; if it wasn't obvious from my budget I care 0 about fashion and walk around in simple tops with jeans or a $5 H&M skirt (those last forever!).

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:56:17 AM »
I spent €550 this year and I think that's the most I've spent on clothes ever. This was for 1 winter coat, 1 pair of winter boots, 1 pair of work shoes (heels) 1 work dress, 1 party dress (for a wedding, but I will wear it again) one pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Also some socks and underwear.

I have very few clothes,  in most categories I only  own one item (1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of heels etc). I walk a lot so I need comfortable shoes and a warm coat, but the jeans and t-shirt were cheap. I hardly ever buy shirts because I get hand-me-downs from friends and I try to buy used as much as possible.

I got a new job this year and I wanted to improve my appearance a little bit and replaced some pretty worn out items. My boots and coat were at least 10 years old. I look a bit young for my age because I have long hair and wear almost no make-up. I don't want to be mistaken for a 21-year old intern.

brunetteUK

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:05:09 AM »
Hi Mellabella!
I'm glad you asked because I always though that I spend so much money now while in previous years I spent not much and the numbers below don't say the same thing!

The numbers below is for all clothes (not too formal smart wear for the office, holiday clothes, cycling stuff) and excludes shoes and accessories. I was aged 25 to 29 if that helps.

£928 - so far in 2018 - needed to replace many items like jeans/trousers in a bigger size due to bigger bum :P and some basics were wearing off like rain jacket.
£570 - 2017 - I knew I wasn't going to spend winter here so put on hold buying new things.
£2,151 - 2016 -  My mom looked at my closet and felt she had failed as a mother if I had so little clothes. We went out and bought many high quality, timeless, expensive items that are still being used today and are in perfect condition, only gave one dress away because of bigger bum :P
£825 - 2015 - still building wardrobe
£610 - 2014 - moved countries to a different weather and start building warbrode.

Hope this helps, let us know if you need any guidance on what to buy, how to sort out warbrode etc.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:09:13 AM by leroleroUK »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:52 AM »
This year I have obtained the following new clothes:

- 3 Undies of basic design, but fitting well. I think they were $10 per piece.
- 1 pair of cross country skiing gloves of a cheap, functional, no-nonsense brand at discount at the end of the season. To replace my previous pair with holes in the fingertips. Cost $6.
- 1 pair of sports/hiking shoes because the ones I had got a holes in the material. I got my money back from the shop and bought a new pair of shoes. I had to pay for the difference, as the new shoes cost twice what the old shoes had cost. Difference: 60$.
- DH has sewn me a indoor jacket that I can wear to work. The cloth was from his mother's collection. Cost: just some minor materials.
- I wanted a new pair of solid hiking trousers. DH gave me a pair of his hiking trousers that he never wore. We adjusted the waist to make it smaller and it fits quite well. Cost: free.
- A new bra at the H&M sale for $6. Not particularly good quality.
- A new bra from a fancy, good quality brand, for sale at 50% discount. Cost 50$. I expect this to hold for many more years than the cheaper H&M bra above.
- 1 or 2 packs of 3 pairs of thick hiking socks. Cost 12$ per pack.
- DH sew me a pair of new decent trousers that I can wear to work. Cost: Don't remember, but we had to buy the cloth.

That is all for 2018 so far. I try to reduce my footprint on the planet a bit by not buying stuff I don't need. I just mostly wear out the clothes that I have. And as DH has sewing as a hobby, I sometimes get a new piece of clothing from him.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 05:30:39 AM »
I've bought a lot of clothes, relatively, this year.... I needed stretchy "exercise" type pants to wear after I had knee surgery, so I've picked up about 6 pairs of assorted stretchy pants this fall. They'll either end up as exercise clothes for the rest of my life, or I'll be stuck wearing them forever. Maybe $100 altogether? Plus I bought a couple of tunic tops to go with them.

I buy socks when somebody complains that they are low and I see them for sale in Aldi's.

Oh! I did buy bras at Kohl's this summer, so that was another $100 plus one of them I liked so much that I found them online and bought 4 more just like it, because they were a lot cheaper online.

I usually buy a pair of sneakers every summer. Last year I asked dh to buy me a pair of Uggs, on the condition that he not buy me anything else for Christmas. I usually buy him clothes for Christmas, too, because there's really nothing much that we want.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 06:22:05 AM »
Do you want this answer from women, or from lovers of clothes? I'm a woman, but I despise clothes shopping.
I spend less than $100 a year on clothes, and the past 3 years that's been to add a professional piece to my maternity wardrobe.

I own one pair of jeans that I wear 5-6 days a week. Currently the thigh patches in the jeans have been re-patched, but I refuse to buy another pair if these still roughly fit.

I buy a new pair of shoes every 3-5 years.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 07:15:40 AM »
I decided to buy as few new clothes this year as I could, so I may not be a great data point for you either.  So far I've purchased:

A pair of secondhand leggings and a cheap sweater in Jan before I decided not to buy clothes
Some bralettes because mine were falling apart
A swim suit because I went to Target and couldn't help myself
Secondhand maternity clothes for $31 total to supplement what I already had - two pants, one leggings, four shirts. 
Three pairs of new underwear because pregnancy makes your hips huge :(

I have, however, gotten a LOT of secondhand clothes from my SIL.  She's about my size and 9 years younger than me, so she's all hip and fashionable, and she downsized when she moved out of state. 

If you have anyone you can trade clothes with, that helps a lot too.  Set up a clothes swap with your friends and their friends!  You can all trade around the clothes you're bored of wearing and find new-to-you clothes.  Much less sketchy than a thrift store, if you're not into buying secondhand clothes usually.

Also, if you're into any sort of outdoorsy things, Patagonia and REI both have an online Used program where they take lightly used clothes that have been returned, refurbish them if necessary, and sell them at a steep discount.  That's where I'm hoping to get the majority of my new clothes after I'm back to a more stable size after I have this baby in March.  I'm not sure if they ship to Australia, but it's worth looking into.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 07:41:45 AM »
So far this year I've spent $0 on clothes.  I buy only what I need to and hate shopping.  If you are interested -- there's an 'Absolutely Zero Clothes Shopping in 2018' challenge thread in the Throw Down the Gauntlet section of the forum, and it looks like there are a number of us that will succeed.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/absolutely-zero-clothes-shopping-in-2018/

There's another challenge thread for 'Only Necessary Clothes Shopping':  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/only-necessary-clothes-shopping-2018/   

Next year I think I'll spend less than $150.  I have a pair of shoes that needs replacing, and I may need some underwear.  Otherwise all my clothes (mostly high quality) are going strong.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 07:49:22 AM »
I spend about $500 to $800 on clothes per year and I can’t  seem to gets lower than that.  I seem  to be very hard on my clothes, with things getting holes and stained.  I am an artist in my private life, hence the stains in my casual wear, and mysteriously I even have paint on my winter coat (which I continue to wear anyway).  Despite my best efforts, having a cat with claws seems to do my work clothes in pretty quickly.

I am not a clothes lover, I purchase things on sale online, and usually only to replace what needs to be thrown away. Living in a climate with hot summers and brutally cold winters also necessitates a larger wardrobe to work with the weather. I am very much a capsule wardrobe advocate, and keep only 5 work  outfits out for 6 months at a time - the slacks cross season boundaries but the tops typically don’t.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 08:36:27 AM »
This year I’ve developed a terrible taste for high end, high quality clothes that improve with age.

This year I’ve bought two pairs of red wing heritage boots. They are made in the US, can be re-soled, and will likely last 15+ years depending on use. They were around $275 each.

I’ve also bought some very nice selvedge denim from Japan (Japan Blue). These were around $200 ea, and like the red wings, they get far better with age as they are raw when new.

I’ve also bought a few button up shirts that have been very nice that were made in either US, Canada, or Japan. A couple of the companies are 3sixteen and Freenote cloth.

It’s a bad habit, but they’re high quality clothes in a vintage style that should last a very, very long time.

Until you actually touch and feel the quality of the clothes it’s hard to understand the difference. I have a Reigning Champ Hoodie and Sweetpants, and again, while expensive, the weight, stitching, and quality of these items is very easily distinguishable from other mainstream manufacturers in lower to middle level cost ranges.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
We've been tracking our spending for the 5 years we've been married. We average $60/month (total for a family of four). Before I was married I averaged (for myself) $100/month.

Both my husband and I work full time (I'm a teacher and he's a social worker) and require business casual attire.

Clothes shopping is one of my major budget cuts since I've had children and decided to prioritize money for saving and childcare.

Some of my tips are replicable, others not.

1. My biggest source of savings is a large community of friends who love clothes and are also nice enough to pass their clothes on when they are tired of them. Many of my clothes are hand me downs from my spendier friends. This goes for my childrens' clothes, too.

2. Three pairs of work shoes in neutral colors. The shoes are high quality but were all bought gently used on ebay. I love shoes but this simplifies my life.

3. I go to Ross and TJMaxx and a couple of consignment shops for kids' shoes and specialty clothes items that I don't find in the hand me down bags from friends.

4. I've found that clothes from Target don't last, but clothes from the clearance rack at the Gap dynasty of stores have lasted me for 10+ years.

5. I live in Hawaii, so I don't have to buy any cold weather apparel. This is a huge help. Sorry for people who have seasons.

6. Costco clothes are excellent in my experience.

I just don't buy clothes much anymore. I think of it as a wonderful time, money, and space saver to be content with what I have in this department.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 09:14:26 AM »
This year I’ve developed a terrible taste for high end, high quality clothes that improve with age.

This year I’ve bought two pairs of red wing heritage boots. They are made in the US, can be re-soled, and will likely last 15+ years depending on use. They were around $275 each.

I’ve also bought some very nice selvedge denim from Japan (Japan Blue). These were around $200 ea, and like the red wings, they get far better with age as they are raw when new.

I’ve also bought a few button up shirts that have been very nice that were made in either US, Canada, or Japan. A couple of the companies are 3sixteen and Freenote cloth.

It’s a bad habit, but they’re high quality clothes in a vintage style that should last a very, very long time.

Until you actually touch and feel the quality of the clothes it’s hard to understand the difference. I have a Reigning Champ Hoodie and Sweetpants, and again, while expensive, the weight, stitching, and quality of these items is very easily distinguishable from other mainstream manufacturers in lower to middle level cost ranges.
I bought a pair of Canadienne winter boots 5 or 6 years ago and they ruined me.

ANewLeaf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
I really struggle with this one.  I have a professional job and like to dress slightly above business casual.  I do a capsule wardrobe and try to buy quality fabrics and classic styles that will last for years.  I do have the occasional look in thrift or consignment stores for pieces, as this would have a big impact on my budget, but I find that when pieces are cheap, I end up buying things that are not-quite-right just because they're cheap, and that feels like a waste of money when I don't wear them, even if it's just a waste of 5-10$.

In Canada (like Aus), clothes are not cheap, but I try to buy exclusively on big discounts (40-50% off), and I agree that Costco is at times great value.  I also cycle my clothes from work clothes, that as they wear become leisure clothes, and then become garden clothes, and then become pajamas, lol.

All that said, I still tend to spend around $300-400 per season (fall-winter, spring-summer) just to replace things that are wearing out. I shop for the best fabrics I can at the Gap (on sale), especially for pants and summer clothes, a department store here that carries Lord & Taylor merino sweaters and drapey tops (on sale) for work, and Costco for tops, pants, socks when there's something good.  A few years ago, Costco had a merino sweater in a perfect cut for me for about $35--I bought 3 and am still wearing them regularly. 

That $600-800/year budget doesn't include shoes, though, which are also expensive, even for mid-range quality.  I find I can only get about 3 years out of a sole/cushion support, even if I spend $100-200 before my feet start to really complain.  I had some extra foot issues this year that meant replacing EVERY pair I wear.  Sigh.  So this year, I've spent about $600 on shoes alone--even with sales!  Hopefully that will do me for a while!!

And that's only me, not my husband, who wear jeans and t-shirts year round, but wears through things faster than I do.  I budget $100/month, which feels completely extravagant and ridiculous compared to a lot of the numbers around here. 

I struggle because lots of my colleagues are dressed down compared to me; there are no expectations that I dress as I do, but after much trial and error, it's what I feel comfortable in.  I love my clothes, love my capsule wardrobe.  But there's no question if I was working from home, I would save some cash!  I am contemplating spending even MORE for some specific pieces that I might get more years out of.  I can't seem to get more than 2 years out of my tops, so I'm always replacing a few each season.  Ditto for pants--I might get 3 years out of some of those, but usually need to replace at least 1 bottom piece per season.

Honestly, I really don't feel like I'm buying all that much; I tend to do a blitz 2-3 times a year to replace what I need and I never shop in my daily life.  But somehow I can't seem to keep the costs as low as most here.  Maybe it's just where I am?! :)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
I work from home most of the time and when in the office wear casual clothes (although I often do business casual instead, since I have the clothes from a previous profession). I wear jeans most days, with occasional forays into a leggings-heavy lifestyle.

My general view: I like clothes. I also have a closet full of clothes that I like. Why keep adding things when I have all these clothes that I like?! I use the number of hangers I have and my drawer space as my limits: If there's no hanger for it or there's no space in the drawer, then I don't buy it unless I get rid of something else. I replace specific objects when they're so busted/worn that they're no longer fixable or usable.

So far in 2018: $303.34 (including two pairs of jeans to replace the pairs I finally destroyed, a pair of sandals to replace a busted pair, a swimsuit)

2017: $244.92 (included a pair of very good running shoes)

2016: $258.84 (included a pair of good leather boots, a swimsuit)

2015: $831.74 (included very good new bras, which I have made last through this year, and new jeans to replace previously busted pairs)

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
There are certain things I am always willing to spend a bit extra on regarding quality.  Good quality and comfortable shoes, good quality jeans that will last years as well as tops that won't shrink or get destroyed in the wash.  After years of buying quality items I need less replacements of things.  My wife on the other hand buys lots of cheap stuff and often.  Where I will spend $25 on a good t-shirt, she will spend $6 on 4 t-shirts.  Where I will spend $150 on a good pair of shoes that will last me for years, she will spend $50 on 3 pairs of shoes.

I always agree with spending a little extra on buying quality that won't need to be replaced.  In the long run it will cost less.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
I'd say typically around $500/year. This includes a new pair of running shoes, which are usually around $120, and running socks, which wear out & can be expensive.

I buy most of my clothing at Costco, or on sale. I like clothes (not sure I'd go so far as "love"), but find the shopping process a hassle. I also work in tech in the Bay Area, and there is a very low bar for a dress code. A typical outfit is one similar to what I have on today:

-Rothys (shoes, purchased for $100, which is a fortune for me. But, are washable, and are my every day, go to shoes 9 months or so of the year). The washable element was huge for me. I do a lot of walking at work, and these are the most comfortable flats I've ever owned. I also stand at my desk, so comfort was a big selling point.
-Gap outlet jeans. Maybe $25
-Black long sleeved Gap tshirt. $10?
-Black sweater, from Costco. $12 or so
-Long necklace with various color blocks - $10 or so from the Banana Republic outlet
-Undergarments - Victoria's Secret underwear, from maybe 10 years ago. Bra, from Target (Maidenform) & I actually adore it. I'm a full C cup. Believe I paid $7 for it, on sale.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:38 PM »
I average around $300/year on clothes, and maybe another $150/year on shoes. In the past year or so I've started trying to buy most things used, mostly for environmental reasons but it helps save money too.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
I've done some "no new clothing" challenges.  I hate to shop.

Sometimes, you just need to though.  I probably went  1.5 years with  no new clothes.

Things that I've purchased:
-2 new pairs of jeans (at $120 each).  These are high quality brand and the last pairs I bought lasted 10 years.
-2 pairs of running shorts, after having to constantly pull up the running tights that I bought right after I had my 2nd kid 6 years ago.  ($110 total)
-2 pairs of running shoes.  I generally wear through 2 pairs a year, at $120-160 each
-1 swimsuit per year ($20)
-2 bras.  I was finally due ($15)
-3 pairs running socks ($40)
-1 shirt from Costco ($10)
So that's $615.  Seems typical, except I probably won't need jeans for 5 years now.

As far as everything else goes, I'm in the process of "wearing things out".
- At work, I wear jeans and sweaters, cotton shirts, blouses, polo shirts (casual workplace).  When they get holes or wear out, I let them go.  But they take a long time.
- For exercise, I wear a myriad of workout shirts and tights and shorts, some of which are from races. 
- For lounging, I wear shorts or crop pants and t-shirts, until they wear out.
- For shoes, I mostly wear out my running shoes.  At work I wear either my one pair of black flats that I've had for 9 years, or my old running shoes.  I have one pair of leather wedges.  I actually no longer have any dress shoes, and will have to do something about that if I wear my one black dress this year.

I probably have too many clothing items (many of them gifts).  Some of them are 10+ years old, still in good condition, and I still wear them. Because: why not?

As far as my husband and kids go...
Husband:
2 pairs jeans per year (he wears them out) $80
3 shirts (Costco): $60
1 pair shoes: $80
underwear:  $20
socks: $20
$260

Boys:
12 yo wears shit till it falls apart, and lives in shorts and T-shirts.  Plus we get occasional hand me downs.
3 pairs pants: $40
PE gear (mandatory): $25
2 pairs shoes: $50
dress clothing for flute performances: $40 (always last minute, "oh crap last year's doesn't fit!" (at least we are saving it for kid bro)
socks: $20 (though he's happy to wear them with holes)
underwear: $10
$175

6 yo loves clothing, little bugger
Shoes: $60 (he's growing fast and wears them out)
PJs: $60 (several pair a year)
Pants: $50 (a few pair, we are keeping big bro's stuff but a big gap)
Shirts: $50
Socks: $10
Underwear: $20
Misc: $50
$300

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »
I looked at my spreadsheet and for
2016 it was 966 or 80 per month
2017 990 or 83 a month
2018 is averaging $54 a month.
That is for a family of 3 and does include: shoes, socks, underwear, outerwear, bathing suits and purses/bags  (adult woman with job that does require decent office clothes and growing 15 year old and 12 year).

I feel what I spend is generous. I do need to at some point get a new pair of boots, and two shoes which are still wearable but have cracks in the soles so I can't wear in wet weather. But that's more delayed because I don't enjoy shopping for these things. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:33:39 PM by partgypsy »

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 11:18:21 PM »
Interesting thread, OP.  Thanks!  I'm learning some new sources for shopping.

I work at home so shorts and T shirts or sweatsuits suffice.  And where I live, dressing dowdy is the norm, unfortunately.  But at least, that keeps costs down.  At least I choose all natural fibers in great colors and find most items secondhand.

I do have a few things for dressing nicely for professional meetings and attending performances.  A few blouses were found at thrift stores after much searching.  I have sewn some of my tops from beautiful fabric that was not cheap.

But I have laid out over $100 each for a quality attractive rain coat with hood and good shoes / boots.  These items last many years.

No matter how unfashionably I dress, I always wear high quality shoes outdoors - whether trainers or dress shoes.  So many older people have malformed feet from wearing cheap shoes.  I don't want to be on this list.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 01:02:01 AM »
I do have the occasional look in thrift or consignment stores for pieces, as this would have a big impact on my budget, but I find that when pieces are cheap, I end up buying things that are not-quite-right just because they're cheap, and that feels like a waste of money when I don't wear them, even if it's just a waste of 5-10$.

I also buy most of my new stuff on sale and as you say, sometimes it is tempted to buy something not perfect just because it is a good bargain. This is of course a trap. My motto is now: Try to only buy clothes that you are going to wear regularly. Independent on the clothes being cheap/expensive/good quality/cheap quality, at least make sure they fit well and you love them and think of how often you are going to wear them.
I have in the past made the mistake of buying clothes for an occasion and not worn them enough times after that to justify the purchase. Better to spend your money on stuff you will wear out.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 04:33:17 AM »
Around USD$200 per year. I buy solely from thrift shops located near/in wealthy neighborhoods. I’m a “regular” size (medium) and wear “regular” size shoes (size 8) which means that I usually have lots of great name brand choices. Since I know what labels are good quality and what labels I like, I’m usually able to pick up several pieces per year that are great quality and that are very inexpensive. Actually, I didn’t buy any clothes this year because the good quality stuff I bought last year still fits and haven’t worn out.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 05:18:02 AM »
I spent 5 years as a SAHM and spent almost nothing.  When I went back to work I found that my spending has increased steadily. 

-After 5 years a ton of stuff had just worn out. 
-Shoes are $$$.  I have very limited shoes- 1 tennis shoe, 1 winter warm shoe, 1 sandal, 1 summer dress shoe (black flat), 1 winter dress shoe (black boot).  The work shoes, which are worn daily, last 1-2 years.  The rest last about 2 years.  That is about 3 new pairs a year at ~100 each. 
-Outerwear is $$$ (MN)
-Bras are $$$ (I have 2, 1.5 year old, and both are about to die.  Weird size means I need to go a nicer store than Target.  That'll be 100$).
-Stuff wears out or gets stained pretty regularly.  I always wonder how much people start with if they can go years without replacing work clothes- I only have ~10 tops and 4 bottoms so they get heavy use and wear out.

So that is just bare minimum of replacing worn out stuff.

I need ~2-3 fresh pairs of work pants a year as they start to look scuzzy.  I used to wear wool slacks that probably lasted more seasons but they had to be dry cleaned. Jeans get downcycled to casual wear after a year.

Work blazers and shells and cardigans can be found at thrift stores, but frequently you find a 200$ blazer for 10$ at a thrift store, but need a certain color top under it, which cannot be found at a thrift store- and costs 40$ new. Very annoying but still a deal compared to finding a top at the thrift and buying a blazer new.

IDK.  I could thrift it all with unlimited time but I don't actually like shopping.

All told I spend about 800 a year I am guessing. 

My H has been WFH and continue to wear his beat up work shirts.  He is about to place and LL Bean order for probably 5 dress shirts and 3 pairs khakis.  All brand new full price, because those are the only ones we have found that are truly no-iron- he tumbles them dry and they look perfectly crisp.  He wears holes in that many clothes a year just in normal use- pants get ratty on the hems and where his wallet is.  Shirts get ratty along cuffs and collar.  That is ~400-500$ just for basic work wear per year.  Again add in shoes, underwear, outerwear and you are probably at 800 for the year. 

Considering we make ~100K each, it seems a small price to pay to have to dress up for work.

Now the kids we spend almost nothing on- their basics are 8$ target shirts and 20$ target jeans, they get lots of hand me downs, and clothing as gifts.  We probably spend 100$ per kid per year.  But even that is going to skyrocket soon as the kids enter their teen years and have opinions about their clothes.  We'll probably set a budget of ~200 a season and give it to them to spend in the next few years.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
@MayDay - regarding your comment below, not sure if helpful, but I change immediately upon getting home. What I wear for cooking, cleaning, or even just general around the house stuff is not what I'd wear to work, or even for a weekend soccer game. At home, I wear a pair of Lululemon yoga pants purchased 12+ years ago, and a variety of race shirts. The Lulu pants were expensive (and a gift), but wash well, and have held up forever. The Costco workout pants also work for this, but are $15 or so.

-Stuff wears out or gets stained pretty regularly.  I always wonder how much people start with if they can go years without replacing work clothes- I only have ~10 tops and 4 bottoms so they get heavy use and wear out.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
2016: 65.00 (one new pair of jeans)
2017: 120.00 (one new pair of jeans and 1 bra)
2018: 430.00 so far. This is a big replacement year for me. Bought a new winter coat, new winter boots, thermals, underwear, dress for an event, casual dresses for church, new pair of casual shoes, a couple of shirts and I'll need to buy another pair of jeans and a couple of bras by the end of the year. We moved to a much colder climate in 2015 and I have been suffering through winters (which is stupid). I'm winter gearing myself up.

I also found that I went a little crazy paring things down trying to be minimalist a few years ago and ended up throwing away things that would have been useful. I'm slowly re-placing those when I can find them used or cheap.

I LOVE clothes and used to be incredibly fashionable.  I've worked from home for the last 9 years and now just wear jeans all the time. I miss being fashionable honestly, but have decided I will allow  myself to spend money on clothes again if I ever work in an office. I just feel happier when I look nice (and by nice I don't mean presentable - I mean stylish).

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »
@MayDay - regarding your comment below, not sure if helpful, but I change immediately upon getting home. What I wear for cooking, cleaning, or even just general around the house stuff is not what I'd wear to work, or even for a weekend soccer game. At home, I wear a pair of Lululemon yoga pants purchased 12+ years ago, and a variety of race shirts. The Lulu pants were expensive (and a gift), but wash well, and have held up forever. The Costco workout pants also work for this, but are $15 or so.

I do the same on office days -- I have no desire to wear slacks for longer than is necessary! The jeans or leggings come out pretty quick. If I'm wearing a constricting "work" top -- fitted blouse, etc -- and not a sweater or long-sleeved tee, then the comfy tees come out pretty quick, too. This especially helps in the stain prevention department, since then the clothing isn't exposed to kitchen stains.

I also think people just vary in how hard they are on their clothes -- things like body shape can affect wear patterns (I have a friend who has sharp elbows and allows wears out her sleeves!), as can the situations you use them in (I wear shoes out quickly because I walk a lot) and how you wash them (I get at least five wears out of a pair of pants before I wash them).

That being said, I do have a fairly extensive wardrobe that I built up over time. I've kept pretty size consistent and have had quite a few of my tops and dresses for 5-10 years.

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
For quite a few years I got by on a clothing & personal care budget of $50/month ($600/year) - just enough to replace worn out items and add one nice outfit per year, which is my idea of an adequate wardrobe update.

Then three things happened:

1)  I hit menopause and gained about 10 lbs, all around my waist & hips, plus a nice case of plantar fasciitis.  A lot of my clothes no longer fit or are appropriate for my new body, and shoes got to be a problem too.  I started exercising more but there's only so much you can do... I gave a lot of stuff to my nieces though, thus reducing their clothing expenditures.  They hate shopping as much as I do, it turns out.

2) I had a clothes moth invasion, and had to throw out a lot of stuff :-(

3) My career has really taken off and I now travel quite frequently and give talks in front of up to 3,000 people.  That means I need to look better than just presentable.

I upped the clothing budget to $100/month and bought a bunch of clothes on sale last year.  On the plus side, I figured out what works for me at low cost.  Unfortunately, a lot of the new stuff is already pilling and looking worn - so much for buying cheap.  So I've upped the budget further and concentrating on buying quality pieces at a steady clip.  My idea is to do this for one year, until my wardrobe is restored to a decent baseline (one small closet with versatile pieces that will last a long time).  Then I'll go back to my 1-2 new outfits per year plan, and my $50/month budget.

However, one "cheap clothing" trick I still maintain:  Lee everyday pant.  I have them in black, brown, and gray. Top with a quality blouse/tank and blazer, and no one will be the wiser.  And they have POCKETS!!!!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
Yeah it's funny how certain things will wear out faster, for me underwear and shoes. I walk in my work shoes. It's either that or carry an extra pair of shoes with me which I don't care to do. So my work shoes or sandals need to both look nice and be comfortable walking 1-2 miles. I've also realized I can't really wear payless level shoes anymore. However I can usually find decent shoes at around the 40-50 range (Clarks).

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 10:58:45 AM »
I buy high quality and designer items in excellent used condition at consignment shops, on Ebay, and sometimes thrift stores.  I usually pop into such places once every couple of months just for a quick browse and hone in on barely worn and never worn items.

As a result, I've spent relatively little on nice clothing and it lasts for years.  I think it helps that apart from during pregnancy, my size hasn't fluctuated.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »
I'm male, and work in a formal office environment (moved into this role this year after several years in a casual office). I also run quite a bit and commute a sizeable enough distance by bike. This means that my spending on clothes this year has been very high: I've bought eight work shirts at 35 each, a suit at 140, two pairs of work shoes at 40 each, and two ties for 20. I also subscribed to a monthly fancy-man-stuff delivery box for three months thanks to a discount I received: it was an indefensible expense, but some of my favourite socks and ties came from them. I've spent about a hundred on fitted shirts in fancy patterns following a binge watch of Queer Eye - after the third dude in a row who looked much better in a fitted, patterned shirt, I was in. I don't really know how much I've spent on running and cycling gear - it's at least a couple of hundred. So about a thousand in total?

One thing I will say is that I tend to buy bulk once I find a fit I like. I have about twenty pairs of identical black boxers, every work shirt I have is the same size and fit from the one manufacturer, and I have three pairs of the same set of bibshorts for cycling. I may need another suit for work soon, and I'm already planning to buy the same suit again in a different colour. Barring that additional suit, though, I don't anticipate needing much new clothing next year (maybe a couple of pairs of casual pants) as I've filled my wardrobe for work, running and cycling this year. I reserve the right to buy more fancy socks, though, even after I decided I had enough fancy socks in July (and promptly bought another eight pairs).

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
Not much. I have made a game of only getting free items, or things thrifted, especially from the local $0.25 sale at the charity shop benefitting refugees. I was at a salvage store (a regular store's discarded materials) on Tuesday and found some underwear, was upset that it wasn't $0.25 as advertised on the cart. still $1.25 was a decent enough price.

My main costs come from bras ($16 is about the highest I'll pay at Kohls), athletic pants ($12 at SAMs / Costco), and athletic shoes at $60 each due to having messed up feet. Almost everything can be found used with enough time and opportunity.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2018, 06:41:13 AM »

I do the same on office days -- I have no desire to wear slacks for longer than is necessary! The jeans or leggings come out pretty quick. If I'm wearing a constricting "work" top -- fitted blouse, etc -- and not a sweater or long-sleeved tee, then the comfy tees come out pretty quick, too. This especially helps in the stain prevention department, since then the clothing isn't exposed to kitchen stains.

I also think people just vary in how hard they are on their clothes -- things like body shape can affect wear patterns (I have a friend who has sharp elbows and allows wears out her sleeves!), as can the situations you use them in (I wear shoes out quickly because I walk a lot) and how you wash them (I get at least five wears out of a pair of pants before I wash them).

That being said, I do have a fairly extensive wardrobe that I built up over time. I've kept pretty size consistent and have had quite a few of my tops and dresses for 5-10 years.

Unfortunately I already always change right away- I think I am just hard on them. Part of it is I am an engineer and while I am mostly in an office I abuse clothes in the plant and lab at times.

My H OTOH is definitely guilty of wearing his work clothes all evening. Drives me crazy.

Mellabella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 05:41:35 AM »
Thanks so much for all your replies! They have definitely given me some food for thought. Sounds like I am pretty average in how much I spend but need to keep to the categories a and b that Katiekat mentioned. I will definitely try and keep buying good quality clothes.

AriesFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
I will spend about $4,000 this year on clothes, jewelry, and shoes. I actually would like to spend more because I love dressing up and shopping, and just feeling like I’m well put together. I work in an office where the way you present yourself can really boost careers.

I do understand that this is terribly anti mustachian and I make sacrifices in other areas to do this

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 09:41:12 AM »
~$500 a year, mostly for professional wardrobe items. I have to wear suits or dress business casual 4-5 days a week.

Haven't purchased non work clothes besides running shoes in nearly 5 years.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 11:59:14 AM »
I spent $249 on clothing last year, and $159 so far this year. I tend to absolutely beat the shit out of my non-work clothing, so I probably go through more of it than I would if I didn't do things like crawl through the forest on my stomach. I'm also a snob who feels too rich to patch up socks or underwear, so those go in the garbage when they start to get holes.

Most of my office clothes predate my relationship, and we celebrate our 10 year anniversary next summer. So yeah, I don't really buy much of that stuff.