Author Topic: Winter boot recommendation for my husband?  (Read 2110 times)

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Winter boot recommendation for my husband?
« on: November 20, 2018, 02:59:40 PM »
Couple of Los Angelenos working in the Northeast for a few months (Nov - March)...

Husband needs some new winter boots.

What he will do with them at work:
Stand outside for hours on concrete/asphalt, mostly all in the middle of the night.
Transition to standing inside for hours (no time to change shoes). Back and forth.
Maybe run around a bit/quick maneuvers with a heavy camera attached to his body.
Wear them for 14+ hours at a time (but probably only once a week).

His complaints with current boots (North Face):
Toes get cold (and he gets cranky) when standing outside on concrete after a few hours even with wool socks.
Not very breathable when transitioning inside.

Does this boot exist?

Thanks for any and all recs!!

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Winter boot recommendation for my husband?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
That's a tall order. Working in NE California or NE as in New Hampshire/Maine?  If he wears a boot warm enough for outdoors in New England, his feet will sweat when he's indoors and then all bets are off going back out.......

I'm in and out all winter and my first recommendation is a Gortex hunting boot from someplace like Cabelas (usually their Elk Hunting lines with 600 or 800 weight thinsulate insulation. You can get up to 1200 weight)  Standing on concrete is cold no matter what you wear short of "Mouse Boots" or Sorels but they are uncomfortable to stand in for a long time.  If he is mostly stationary, get an insulated pad to stand on (closed cell foam with a carpet on top?)

Just make sure he gets good socks and boots that are not too tight with those socks.  Oversized socks stuffed into tight boots causes a lot of frostbite in unknowing climbers......even with insulated double boots.

JM2C

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
Columbia Lifttop Thermal Coil.

My husband and I both have a pair. They are fantastic for low movement activities because they reflect your heat back to you. I have cold feet, but these keep me warm (Even 5 hours of metal and wind chill). Under pants they have a decently low profile.  I mention standing because neither of us would opt to go hiking in them unless there is snow on the ground, but the rest of our shoes are of the barefoot variety so these stand out to us.

They are a tad warm inside, but adjusting clothing layers helps a lot.

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
I have had great experiences with Danner boots. About 4 times a year they run a hella good sale and $300 dollar boots can be had under $100. Not every deal is that good but still. They make insulated versions and I'm going to guess around 600 gram with good socks would be a decent number to look for. Too tight as mentioned above is not a good thing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 05:21:31 PM »
Just a thought . . . but your husband knows that winter boots should fit much looser than regular shoes/boots, right?  You want to be able to get several thick pairs of socks in 'em and still have room to wiggle your toes.  Tight winter boots (no matter how well insulated) will make your feet cold because they reduce blood flow.

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »
Thanks for all the recs so far!

To answer a question:
NE as in Pennsylvania.

Re: too tight lacing. One of our family jokes is how tight DH always ties his shoelaces... so this is very good info! I have a feeling this might actually be his problem, as I'm sure he also over tightens his winter boots. If this turns out to be correct, he will never, ever heard the end of it. This info could provide me with jokes for many years! :)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 05:52:29 AM »
Apart from the boots, your husband might be interested in heated socks. He could turn them off once he gets inside.

https://www.bustle.com/p/the-4-best-heated-socks-for-skiing-7831254

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »
Heated socks! Hot damn! There is some cool shit in this world!

Thanks again for all the recs so far!

DH is in the process of comparing all the choices you guys sent over for boots. He's also now talking jackets, and his research has led him to the Fjallraven. Anyone have this jacket or have heard good/bad things about it?

https://www.amazon.com/Fj%C3%A4llr%C3%A4ven-F80665-Fjallraven-Yupik-Parka/dp/B014A0WPDK

It seems pricey to me, but then again I'm not going to be the one spending hours outside at night during winter.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »
I've lived in Canada my whole life, deep within Northern Canada for more than half that period.  I've never owned a 300$ jacket, because that's just silly.  Last time I needed a coat I picked up a cheap very warm ski jacket around March when stuff was warming up and they were all on sale.

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
@GuitarStv waiting until spring until prices are cheaper would be great! however, the job will be over in march and we'll be headed back to LA by then. do you have any recommendations on features to look for that have kept you warm and cozy during the canadian winters?

*I guess I should have expected some shame on here by purchasing winter clothing in the prime expensive winter clothing time of year, but just so you know, we are freelance, and this job came out of nowhere, so there wasn't time before hand to look for good deals. I guess you could argue, 'well hell, you should have been prepared by buying this stuff years ago as things went on sale' and I'll counter with in our 15 years working freelance we haven't ended up somewhere northern in the winter so... [insert shrug emoji here].*

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 01:55:37 PM »
DH is in the process of comparing all the choices you guys sent over for boots. He's also now talking jackets, and his research has led him to the Fjallraven. Anyone have this jacket or have heard good/bad things about it?

https://www.amazon.com/Fj%C3%A4llr%C3%A4ven-F80665-Fjallraven-Yupik-Parka/dp/B014A0WPDK

It seems pricey to me, but then again I'm not going to be the one spending hours outside at night during winter.

I wouldn't buy a jacket like that. I'm in the Northeast, and have spent plenty of time outdoors in VT and NH when the temps are well into negative digits. I find that layers work better for me. Get a tight thermal undershirt (I use cheap Walmart/Target ones), maybe a flannel shirt, a fleece top, and then, if you need more, an outer coat/jacket (maybe with a removable liner for more options).

Don't forget gloves. If standing around a lot, your hands will get cold. Again, you can get gloves that come with a fleecy inner glove and a waterproof outer glove that can be separated when you don't need both layers. If he doesn't need great dexterity while wearing them, mittens are even better for staying warm.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »
@GuitarStv waiting until spring until prices are cheaper would be great! however, the job will be over in march and we'll be headed back to LA by then. do you have any recommendations on features to look for that have kept you warm and cozy during the canadian winters?

I assume your husband is wearing a good pair of ski pants while outside?  It doesn't matter how warm your jacket is if half your body is uncovered. . .

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
@GuitarStv  yes, he has ski pants already, thanks for checking!

@Dave1442397  yes, he has all those layers you mentioned! and he does have rechargeable battery-operated heating gloves, so the fingers are good to go! dexterity is very important. I feel like he is set... but the chat we had was revealing. it's a matter of being completely, totally comfortable while standing and working outside for 14+ hours. his job requires extreme creativity/focus, so i think it's about him not wanting to waste a *single moment* being distracted by thinking about his personal comfort.

it sounds weird, i know!

but he's the best, so I really want him to be as comfortable as possible! thanks again for all the suggestions!

cheapbarb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 12:40:21 AM »
IMHO, North Face is more of a fashion line than a real outdoor wear company. Most of their boots and coats are marketed to people who never get any closer to the great outdoors than rolling down the car window at the Starbucks drive thru.
From what you are describing, your hubby needs supportive, well insulated footwear. I'd look into insulated hiking boots. I've got a pair of Vasque Pow-pows myself and I love them. My hubby wears insulated men's overshoes over regular running shoes to snowblow the driveway. https://www.overshoesneos.com/.
Wicking long underwear is another nice item to have in cold weather. Half of the fight to stay warm is to stay dry. Also it helps your feet stay warm if your legs are warm.
Air activated warmers are nice to have in really cold weather. They are available for hands, feet and as body patch warmers. Any drugstore, sporting goods store or big box store in the northeast would have them.
Nice coat. It looks toasty. With holiday sales at sporting goods stores you should be able to get a deal on one.
He might want a face mask for that kind of work, especially if it is windy.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:29:10 AM by cheapbarb »

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 02:40:31 AM »
I've lived in the Northeast for 38 years and worked outdoors for many winters..  I've never once seen someone wearing ski pants unless they were skiing/sledding/snowboarding.

CSuzette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 03:34:25 AM »
For bottoms I recommend Marmot dri-clime side zip pants. I like the top too for layering but I see they have changed the style again. Very toasty and easy on /off. Agree that keeping legs warm keeps feet warm. I have used them climbing and running and snowshoeing in frigid temps.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!