Author Topic: Why I want to pay my mortgage off early  (Read 32242 times)

Valhalla

• Bristles
Re: Why I want to pay my mortgage off early
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »
Yes, but you have been arguing that there is only one best strategy 'based on math' and completely dismissing modern portfolio management theory and risk as factors to consider when constructing your asset mix.  You are also mixing morgage as a liability with house values.

We are trying to educate the group that both strategies (paying or not) are viable and rational.

Several people keep insisting that it is not rational to take less risk.
We are going back to risk now.  Buying a house is a risk. Paying down a house is a risk.  Putting all of your money into CDs or cash is a risk.  Everything has risk tied to it.

The key here is, looking at how to optimize your choices in the long run, and minimize your risk of not keeping pace with inflation / long term returns while covering yourself in the short run.

Anyone who says paying down a house is a "risk free" decision, is wrong.  There is risk to making long term decisions with your money.  Period.

It is because you are not approaching risk with a consistent financial framework, while insisting it is all math.  The example you raise of 100% cash is a good one.  Under a low risk situation, 100% cash is perfectly rational.  In fact i recently read an article about a billionaire who felt market conditions and his risk preferences had him in almost 100% cash equivalents.  This can be a rational portfolio.
holding cash is a rational portfolio depending on time horizons.  If you believe holding cash for 1 - 2 years is better for you, ok I may buy that.   If you believe in holding cash for 10-40 years, I'd think you're insane.

Personally I'd urge you to build that fallout shelter, if you think holding cash is better in the long run.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:56:32 PM by Valhalla »

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
The fallout shelter comment is alluding to the mentality of someone who honestly thinks holding cash as a long term investment strategy is the optimal decision, and not aimed at anyone here.  I'm sorry if it you interpreted it incorrectly and took it personally.

I put those people into the same category as those who are into "prepping", and spends most of money and time doing that. Some people are just into Armageddon and doom.  I think those folks are a little crazy, but hey, we need a little crazy in the world sometimes or it'd be too dull. ;) 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:16:20 PM by Valhalla »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
mm1970 you made a choice to have yours paid off we get that.  but if you went into the pay down your mortgage thread i bet greater than 50% of those thinking they are doing the right thing are greatly increasing their risk early in their working careers. 

screaming I DONT CARE about the math basically as you're doing hurts the younger newer members IMO.  similar to having a thread about why escalades are awesome and everyone posting pictures of their new whip.  Its a decision you made its suboptimal this is a forum focused around optimizing.

No but I really don't care.  I mean, I'm saying there is always a middle ground, and I seriously hate that there is a tendency on these boards to be "black and white" and "right and wrong".

I would not suggest that anyone put all of their money in paying down their mortgage, and not invest.

I would not suggest that anyone have the largest mortgage possible, and use all spare money to invest.  And keep taking out new mortgages to be highly leveraged (because, frankly, most people suck at money - this is how I've had many neighbors lose their homes...how do you lose a house that you bought and took a $200k mortgage on 20 years ago?  You refinance and take out equity and lose that money.)

Where to fall in the middle ground is a personal issue.  How much to have in the stock market is a personal issue.

What about someone who is still making payments.  Does it affect them?  No!  They still make the same payments they were already planning on making.

Unless you actually work in the housing or construction industry and a housing downturn affects your income.  Housing prices do not exist in a bubble.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »
This is a pretty epic post from the other mortgage payment thread... everyone should read and understand this...

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/why-do-you-do-and-pay-off-your-mortgage-early/msg1503657/#msg1503657

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2017, 09:51:02 AM »
...  if its all sunk in your house ...
Let me be clear:  I'm a firm advocate of paying off your house early for reasons discussed earlier, but I'm NOT in favor of putting ALL your money into your house.  You should never put all your eggs in one basket.

I had a very hard childhood too. Which included many nights of being woke up to move in the middle of the night because my parents were skipping out on the rent. That would happen about every 6 months, which 9 times out of 10 that meant me switching schools. We also never had food, and duct tape holding my shoes together that were two sizes too small. It was rough. During my teenage years my parents were skimming money off of my bank account from money I was earning from a fast food job. It was so bad that I was putting my paycheck into my boyfriends (now DH) bank account.

You could tell me that it would be the stupidest most expensive thing in the world to pay off my house and I would have done it anyway. To know that my daughter was brought home from the hospital to this house and she will go off to college from the same house is priceless to me. And there is no investment, no money nothing that would be worth more that that. EVER!
Yep, you and I are on the same page. 

For those that feel strongly about paying off your mortgage faster... Why is it important that you make larger payments towards the mortgage rather than investing the difference and giving yourself the OPTION to pay it off in one chunk?  Is it that important to you to see the balance drop while still making payments than ending up with likely more money and the ABILITY to pay it off?
When you pay down the principle faster, you're paying less interest.  Yes, I can see the point:  If you invest that money, you're earning interest.  However, I bought my house in the 90s, and my interest rate was 9.xx% ... so that interest built up fast. 

Pay down a mortgage is NOT a risk free transaction.  You're essentially move your financial assets into a property that can go down in value, and can lock you into a location at an inconvenient time.
[/quote]
True, you can't necessarily liquidate your house with a week or so's notice ... but my house represents less than 5% of my total net worth.  While it would be unwelcome, I could walk away from my house without bankrupting myself. 

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
I'm considering it because the house is cheap to begin with, ongoing expenses are very low, and potential rental income minus expenses would give a pretty good return ($1000/mo on roughly $130k total value).  This is about the same as my favorite index funds.  There may be more risk, but...  I'd still have the house to live in if needed, cheaper than renting anywhere.  Finally, prices in the area are rising, but please note that I'm not counting on it.

Needed to get there:  $90k mortgage plus another $10k in repairs/refurb.  Roof ($10k unless I do it myself) may also need redoing within 5-7 years.

Monthly costs now are no more than a cheap apartment in the area, and it's a 3 bedroom, 1500 sq-ft home in a nice neighborhood.  I'm willing to make a much bigger mortgage payment as my income improves, or pay-off/refinance in chunks.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »
Funny that it's always the exact same people that are so adamant about keeping their mortgage that feel the need to berate and justify their use of leveraging their mortgage for the stock market.

Yet what even these same posters have their limits. For some reason, they're willing to leverage their home for stock market returns, but not willing to continue that leverage in purchasing LEAPS.

I don't understand why there's been this up-tick in mortgage related threads that need their own cheering crowds to pound into. The simple fact is that whether you pay off your mortgage or intentionally use that money to invest instead, you both come out ahead.

Paying off mortgage: Risk free 3-5%
Using leverage to invest: Low beta 4-8%
Using leverage to invest in leaps: higher beta (12-15%?)

These are all trade-offs. Some people like investing in more bonds, others go all equities. There is no inherent best choice or not, but they're all subject to risk. Using you mortgage to leverage has a statistically significant chance of being a losing bet. That's the extra earnings on the leverage. You could leverage that even further in options.

They're all individual choices. Each is smart, because they all invest in your future. But eventually, we will all be old and trying to earn an unneeded extra 2-3% won't be worth the risk. Trying to make an extra 100-200k isn't worth it when you are already FIRE and don't want to put your independence at risk. These threads aren't fun.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
As someone else noted, OP owns a boat and regularly discusses it on here. A 60-second search of his post history quickly reveals...

also not 100% mustachian but i own a boat on Raintree lake and wakeboard and wakesurf avidly... so if there are any others out there that want to try just PM me.  I run Waketheworld.org  for the KC area as well.
Boat's can be good investments if used properly and bought properly.  and you have to weigh the enjoyment you get from it.  but for 95% of people yeah they just want the status they feel they get with a boat. i have 17k in a boat i can flip mid summer for 25k if i wanted to sell... strongly considering it actually... then i will get a new one next fall when the boat market goes to crap again.
thats what our travel budget is ... we dont have the airplane but i have a boat.  probably costs me 2-3k a year to operate that.  you have to keep some things you love in your life.  we plan to FI by 35 with a 7000 dollar travel budget at that time.  we may not retire then but we will have 4x our expenses.  4200 in travel can go a long way. i havent calculated what we have/will spend this year but we have done quite a bit for very cheap in my opinion. 
Yeah everyone has their own version of what they want. My wife and I are shooting for what most would consider very unmustacian retirement value at 50-60k.  I am an avid wakeboarder and own a boat.  We save close to 55% of our income and it increases each year.

In other words, OP knows owning a boat in some way hampers his FIRE date. But he also understands that personal finance is personal, and he wants a boat, so he has intelligently and reasonably calculated owning a boat in his FIRE calculations.

Given the above, I don't quite understand why OP struggles to comprehend why other people tend to make similar personal decisions with their money.

My fiancee and I are in the crowd that wants to pre-pay our mortgage. This is for the following personal reasons: (1) it removes the biggest recurring monthly payment, (2) it will reduce fixed monthly expenses to about $2,000 a month, meaning either one of us can stop working and it won't matter, (3) it gives me almost unlimited borrowing power in case of an emergency via a HELOC, and (4) quite frankly, I will be tickled with joy knowing I don't owe the bank any more money.

To use boarder's own words, we have our "own version of what we want," we will get great "enjoyment from [not having a mortgage]," and we want to do some things "we love in our life."

We've weighed the pros and cons and, despite the math saying we could theoretically earn "x" more dollars if we put every penny in index funds, we want to prepay our mortgage. This is basically the same calculation boarder makes in owning a boat--he knows it potentially hampers his FIRE date, but fuck it, he want a boat, so he worked it into his math. Similarly, we want our mortgage paid off, we know it potentially hampers our FIRE date, but fuck it, we don't want a mortgage when we FIRE.

Personal finance is personal. There's rarely a completely right or wrong answer. Live it up and have a couple chuckles.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:11:32 AM by ReadySetMillionaire »

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2017, 10:48:45 AM »
Personal finance is personal. There's rarely a completely right or wrong answer. Live it up and have a couple chuckles.
I think you addressed it pretty well.

The only thing I will add is, mortgage rates are among the lowest in history.  It's a bit of a shame to see people squander the most opportune time in history to pay off a mortgage when they could be doing more with that capital.

End of the day, if someone wants to pay off a mortgage, do something else better with the money, or light a bunch of $100 bills on fire, it's their prerogative to do so.  Some people are so rich that lighting $100 bills on fire brings them more joy than whatever else the money could have spent on. You can't fault them for that at all.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »

The only thing I will add is, mortgage rates are among the lowest in history.  It's a bit of a shame to see people squander the most opportune time in history to pay off a mortgage when they could be doing more with that capital.

End of the day, if someone wants to pay off a mortgage, do something else better with the money, or light a bunch of $100 bills on fire, it's their prerogative to do so.  Some people are so rich that lighting $100 bills on fire brings them more joy than whatever else the money could have spent on. You can't fault them for that at all.

Quick and honest question: what's the analysis regarding having a mortgage and your FIRE number?

With a mortgage, I think we would expect to live on $50,000 per year, making our retirement number $1,250,000.  If we did not have a mortgage, then we would expect to live on $40,000 per year, making our retirement number $1,000,000.

Prepaying the mortgage so it's kapoot by the time we FIRE requires $3,600 in extra payments per year over the next fifteen years, and this "saves" us (loosely using that term) approximately $40,000 in interest.  We could invest that $3,600 per year for 15 years and it would be worth $96,000.

However, that wouldn't cover the difference between being able to FIRE, because we'd still have to have $1,250,000 to FIRE if we had a mortgage payment.

I'm pretty sure I'm either grossly oversimplifying this or missing a step in the analysis here, so any insight on how prepayment of a mortgage affects the FIRE date?

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »

Quick and honest question: what's the analysis regarding having a mortgage and your FIRE number?

With a mortgage, I think we would expect to live on $50,000 per year, making our retirement number $1,250,000.  If we did not have a mortgage, then we would expect to live on $40,000 per year, making our retirement number $1,000,000.

Prepaying the mortgage so it's kapoot by the time we FIRE requires $3,600 in extra payments per year over the next fifteen years, and this "saves" us (loosely using that term) approximately $40,000 in interest.  We could invest that $3,600 per year for 15 years and it would be worth $96,000.

However, that wouldn't cover the difference between being able to FIRE, because we'd still have to have $1,250,000 to FIRE if we had a mortgage payment.

I'm pretty sure I'm either grossly oversimplifying this or missing a step in the analysis here, so any insight on how prepayment of a mortgage affects the FIRE date?

You're missing a step, which is fine, this is probably the most common mistake people make when doing the calculation themselves.

Let's say your non-mortgage expenses are 40k, implying a 1M nest egg.  Your 40k -> 1M follows the 4% rule, but somehow you converted a 3.6k annual mortgage payment into a necessary 10k increase in expenses.  Really, you'd be living exactly the same, but with a 3.6k annual payment, thus requiring a 43.6k annual salary which in perpetuity would only require 1.09M, not 1.25M.  But, even then your math doesn't make sense.  You only need to pay off the house, so you really need 1M + 54k, because you're not paying that extra 3.6k forever.  Thus, the difference isn't 250k, it's 54k.

But, even that is an oversimplification.  Because these calculations are focusing on dollars invested early on in the mortgage term, the difference becomes even more pronounced the further in time you go.  You'll need to post more specific numbers to get a numerical estimation beyond this level of analysis.

ozmickey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »
There was a recent thread asking why some mustachians engage in a lot of relatively low-impact penny-pinching tactics (like hand drying clothes) to save a few bucks here and there, but then pay off their low-interest mortgages early, thus missing out on the arbitrage of the mathematical difference between the rate of the mortgage and the average rate of return in the markets over 30 years.

I get it, you don't care if you have a liability on your house. I don't care. I do. Some people don't mind working at all, and don't understand why somebody would bother being frugal and giving up certain things just to not have to have a job.

I love the idea of having my housing needs all but completely taken care of, no matter what happens in the markets, with a job, or anything like that.

And there are a host of other reasons people may have for preferring it.

But the bottom line is, it is simply choosing to maximizing personal happiness at the expense of an increase in possible wealth - EXACTLY like retiring early.

My DH and I have decided our biggest priority is paying our mortgage off early. Our mortgage is a 15yr with monthly payment of $3,100 per month. We plan to have it paid off in half the time.

The reasons are:
1. Corporate restructuring in both of our jobs. Who knows if either of us will have the same job in a year's time.
2. Mortgage interest is not tax deductible (in Australia). Caveat - for the primary residence.
3. Health scares with both of us, which can affect earning the big money.
4. The security of knowing that we will always have a place to call home!

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »

My DH and I have decided our biggest priority is paying our mortgage off early. Our mortgage is a 15yr with monthly payment of $3,100 per month. We plan to have it paid off in half the time.

The reasons are:
1. Corporate restructuring in both of our jobs. Who knows if either of us will have the same job in a year's time.
2. Mortgage interest is not tax deductible (in Australia). Caveat - for the primary residence.
Hmmm, if I was afraid I was going to be out of a job, I would be hoarding cash, not plowing cash into a mortgage.   Cash can help pay for emergency expenses, food on the table, unexpected car repair, etc.  A paid off house is not going to help you in an emergency, or pay for groceries... especially if you're out of a job, getting a HELOC or refinance would be especially tough.

As long as you have cash, you'll always have a roof over your head.  If you have a house, no guarantee that it'll be your home forever... try not paying for property taxes, or have a major water leak, or foundation issues, slab repair, mold, etc... I'd rather have the bank help me spread the risk of holding the house, and if I have to walk away from the house in a worst case scenario, and leave the bank sharing part of the loss, I can. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:51:35 PM by Valhalla »

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2017, 03:11:04 PM »
There was a recent thread asking why some mustachians engage in a lot of relatively low-impact penny-pinching tactics (like hand drying clothes) to save a few bucks here and there, but then pay off their low-interest mortgages early, thus missing out on the arbitrage of the mathematical difference between the rate of the mortgage and the average rate of return in the markets over 30 years.

I get it, you don't care if you have a liability on your house. I don't care. I do. Some people don't mind working at all, and don't understand why somebody would bother being frugal and giving up certain things just to not have to have a job.

I love the idea of having my housing needs all but completely taken care of, no matter what happens in the markets, with a job, or anything like that.

But the bottom line is, it is simply choosing to maximizing personal happiness at the expense of an increase in possible wealth - EXACTLY like retiring early.

The reasons are:

I agree.  I would encourage people who are considering paying off a mortgage early for safety and risk-related reasons to reread Boarder's original thread, as well as this one.  Funneling you excess liquid cash into an illiquid location does not reduce any of your risk, but it does make it more difficult for you to deal with emergency scenarios should they arise.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »

The reasons are:
ozmickey- good job with that savings rate!  That's a high payment and would terrify me (I had a similarly high payment and it made me very uncomfortable).  You didn't say whether you make early payments agains your mortgage or whether you're stashing the extra money in a sinking fund that is earmarked for your mortgage payoff.  If you're not using a sinking fund, it's another option and one that made me pretty comfortable with my decisions.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »
People that I've talked to, after having paid off their home months or years ago, when I describe my 2.75% 15 year mortgage and annual interest deduction as well as the opportunity to have more exposure to appreciating equities (200k at 5 - 10% these last 10 years) because I'm 'buying a bond' every month...  well, they typically come around to my line of thinking.  I'm probably 200k more wealthy than if my money had sat tied up in a paid off mortgage when I could've paid it off in 2008, not that I spend much time thinking about how much better off I am.  I guess it is just something you have to experience first hand for some folks, but I'm nothing but happy about knowing I did the right thing.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
People that I've talked to, after having paid off their home months or years ago, when I describe my 2.75% 15 year mortgage and annual interest deduction as well as the opportunity to have more exposure to appreciating equities (200k at 5 - 10% these last 10 years) because I'm 'buying a bond' every month...  well, they typically come around to my line of thinking.  I'm probably 200k more wealthy than if my money had sat tied up in a paid off mortgage when I could've paid it off in 2008, not that I spend much time thinking about how much better off I am.  I guess it is just something you have to experience first hand for some folks, but I'm nothing but happy about knowing I did the right thing.

You are lucky to be able to get fixed rates like that. If I could get that in Aus I'd pretty much never pay off my home loan...
I'm in the boat of not paying off my loan faster, but only at the moment while my variable rate is 3.99%. I'll be able to get that down hopefully by refinancing in ~2 years once my LVR gets to better than 80%, though if rates hold in that time I'll be looking around 3.5-3.6% if I'm lucky. But that's historically low for us. If rates shoot up I'll likely be like many in Aus and start rapidly trying to pay it down...

I do use an offset account and credit card (always pay if off each month prior to interest) though to help reduce interest where possible.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2018, 06:29:28 AM »
If I ever had a mortgage, I would absolutely want to pay it off early - though, for me, the most likely scenario is that I will never have a mortgage to begin with.

I absolutely understand b42's maths - I have a maths degree, and I've read enough of the posts. I agree with him that in the case where the assumptions MMM and most Mustachians make about stock market performance are true, LongTermIncome(investing in stocks) > ReductionInExpenses(paying down mortgage). Personally, I think the assumptions may be somewhat optimistic, given that the twentieth century was effectively the golden age of oil, but I think stocks are unlikely to drop to zero, especially global. Stagflation's probably something to watch for, though. I'm definitely not as comfortable with putting 100% or even 80% into stocks, especially US stocks, at this point in time.

However, the fact that the mortgage payment IS an expense is not to be ignored, because it requires that you budget to pay it every single year, not just on the years where your investment income is doing well.

I think I am following a rather unconventional path to FIRE, which is what would make locking in such an expense very inconvenient for me. I'm self-employed, and effectively am planning to consider myself semi-retired by a varying amount until such time as I am fully FIRE. For me, a single, childless woman in my 20s, my priority is to keep my expenses as low as possible, because then it means I have fewer hours to work each year until I reach profit - and, because I'm trying to align at least some of my income sources with things I would do anyway, I'm unlikely to stop working once I reach that point each year, but once I do, it will take the mental pressure off because I know I won't be drawing down on my savings that year. Ideally, of course, I'd like to earn enough for at least a 50% savings rate, but the higher I can get it, the better. Right now, I have around £10000 between all the different places I have money.

I'm living with my parents at the moment, because this is a better option by far than either rent or mortgage: I'm effectively paying the amount I'd be paying for food only if I was by myself, and doing a bunch of chores, in exchange for food, shelter, and all bills included. This means that I expect my total expenditure to be less than £5000, even including car insurance, a (rare for me) foreign holiday, and about three different hobbies. Without the holiday and a couple of planned expensive hobby purchases, I could get it to less than £4000, I think. If I was having to pay bills, though, they would almost certainly be lower than average, because I try to be eco-friendly and therefore avoid turning lights on, turning the heating high, using tumble dryers, etc, whenever possible.

If I had a typical mortgage, monthly payments might cost £500 to £1000 per month, depending on the property - ie, I'd be spending more than my entire budget again just on a mortgage. This means I'd have to do at least twice as much work in a year to break even, and at least four times as much work in a year to get to a 50% savings rate.

Here is what I need to earn to achieve different savings rates:

Savings RateSpend £4000Spend £5000Spend £10000
0%£4000£5000£10000
10%£4444.44£5555.55£11111.11
20%£5000£6250£12500
30%£5714.29£7142.86£14285.71
40%£6666.67£8333.33£16666.67
50%£8000£10000£20000
60%£10000£12500£25000
70%£13333.33£16666.67£33333.33
80%£20000£25000£50000
90%£40000£50000£100000

As you can see, by the time we make it to the 50-60% savings rates, the difference between expenses without locked-in mortgage or rent payments and with them are in the region of a whole extra full time minimum wage job per year. That's a whole bunch of extra success/hours of work I'd need with any given self-employed business endeavour, especially early on when my investments haven't had time to snowball yet.

That's why my home ownership plans are to continue living with my parents until either:
a) they die sudden unexpected early deaths and I inherit their house (and can either live there or downsize and buy a smaller house) (this is the most tragic option, so I'm hoping this isn't the option that happens)
b) I become successful enough with my self-employment/passive income endeavours that I can buy a decent house in a decent area outright with no mortgage and leave myself with a decent savings buffer, and then, if I don't have a romantic partner by then, immediately invite one or more of my friends (I have a few who are also single and living in their parents' houses) to come live with me in exchange for an even share of all the bills
c) my parents kick me out for some reason (not likely since we have a good relationship and I actually do stuff that is useful around the house) and I get a temporary rental place, and then try and move in with a different friend or relative, offering to pay an even share of food and bills and do a bunch of chores in exchange.

I think the argument is that the interest I got from the investments would cover the difference in expenses. But the stock market goes up and down, and I'm not as confident in it as some. Maybe I just have a low risk tolerance. It won't cover the expenses difference every year.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »

On the other hand, if someone does understand those trade-offs and is willing to say "I would prefer to trade the expectation hope of an extra $100k or $200k or whatever for the peace of mind of not having a mortgage to pay", then more power to them! 

Fixed that for ya.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »

On the other hand, if someone does understand those trade-offs and is willing to say "I would prefer to trade the expectation hope of an extra $100k or $200k or whatever for the peace of mind of not having a mortgage to pay", then more power to them! 

Fixed that for ya.

So you're just hoping retirement works with a 4% swr. Not expecting it to. That's quite a large leap of faith you're taking there

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »
I see the merits in both arguments. Thats why I do both.

I try to spend very little money on myself these days, I get more kicks out of buying another chunk of Vanguard funds than new clothes or even beer (sometimes!), but I also get just as much joy out of seeing our mortgage balance falling with the occasional overpayment.

I am at a cross roads now where my wife is expecting our first child, so I will have to build up a bigger emergency fund now and maybe postpone both / just invest and not overpay. 

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2018, 03:45:48 PM »

RE risk of investment in a house.

It seems to me that it would be best to either owe as much as possible or own it outright where the more you equity you have into it without having it paid off representing the most risk.

If you owe as much as possible and something happened that forced you to walk away you have less to lose and if you own it outright as long as you can pay the tax bill you should be golden barring an odd ball situation.

Follows the same logic why banks do not like to go 100 LTV and why PMI exists under 20%

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
I've paid off my home but it really may be more a result of the current financial environment than something I'm doing on principal.  I currently am nearing my FI number.  I thought by now I would have diversified more away from equities with my investments but am still at about 90% stocks due to the outlook for bonds with yields rising and the low return on cash.  So my paid off home kinda represents a good portion of my low risk low return "investment" I would otherwise have in bonds or cash (5 year CDs were pretty cool alternatives when i was younger and they were paying 6%).  I look at it as making me 4% (as thats what it would be costing me), so if I was 30 and was 30% of the way to my target I wouldn't be passing up the opportunity to make more in equities, but for where I'm at at the current choices in front of my for diversifying and reducing risk I consider it a pretty easy choice to make.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »

Fixed that for ya.

So you're just hoping retirement works with a 4% swr. Not expecting it to. That's quite a large leap of faith you're taking there

Indeed.  It's all a crap shoot.  I don't even know if I'll be alive in a few years.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »
This thread makes me think I’m going to consider home equity as part of my bond allocation. Gonna mull it over some more first though.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »

Fixed that for ya.

Indeed.  It's all a crap shoot.  I don't even know if I'll be alive in a few years.

So why are you wasting time posting here if that's your opinion on life.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »
This thread makes me think I’m going to consider home equity as part of my bond allocation. Gonna mull it over some more first though.

Poor strategy. Bonds are easily rebalanced a mortgage is not. Bonds typical returns are higher than current mortgage rates. You can't go back in time and get the rate you have on your house again if rates rise. This topic comes up a lot and it's a poor analogy   

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »

Your house is NOT an investment, unless you are a home flipper who lives in and works on it at the same time.  It is a place to live.  Yes it has value, and I hope the value goes up.  Counting on your home to provide you money only works when you go to sell it, and even then you will incur more costs before you get any money out of it.  It's easy to lose money on a house.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »

Fixed that for ya.

Hedging my bets, hoping I get to live long enough to spend some of the money I saved. I had a much more optimistic outlook before I came down with a random case of cancer.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »

Fixed that for ya.

Hedging my bets, hoping I get to live long enough to spend some of the money I saved. I had a much more optimistic outlook before I came down with a random case of cancer.
A rare cancer is what fueled my quest for FIRE, before there was a catchy name for it. It also made me want to do it as optimally as possible. Ergo, I chose to fill my investment accounts first and make just the regular mortgage payments. If the shit hit the fan again, I wanted to have a LOT of money. Money=Options. It worked, and thankfully, so far there has been no recurrence.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2018, 07:04:15 AM »

Fixed that for ya.

A rare cancer is what fueled my quest for FIRE, before there was a catchy name for it. It also made me want to do it as optimally as possible. Ergo, I chose to fill my investment accounts first and make just the regular mortgage payments. If the shit hit the fan again, I wanted to have a LOT of money. Money=Options. It worked, and thankfully, so far there has been no recurrence.

Totally agree!  And I do have a lot of money.  Having that money made the 6 months of surgery, chemo, and radiation easier- no financial worries. 

I've been filling the investment accounts for 25+ years.  Now, hubs and I have agreed to get the mortgage beast off our backs, and we are done.  (We are still filling the tax-advantaged space as well.)

We have wasted a lot of money over the years that may have been better off locked up in home equity.  We have never been super frugal, and there must be a lot of people like us out there that build up a few thousand dollars in a savings account but spend it instead of investing it.  The perceived inability to obtain the money kept us from spending what we saved in the 401k/IRA's over the years.

At our age (53 and 54)  it feels riskier to invest taxable money in the market, because of the shorter time frame and because we have basically all our assets invested in stocks already.  It is much easier mentally for me to "set it and forget it" in a 401k type vehicle.   I have not been able to make myself invest in taxable mutual funds, even though I believe the economy will most likely continue to grow.  And hubs is excited about putting that money toward the mortgage.

I do get the enthusiasm for investing over paying off a low-rate mortgage, but I don't think  a one-size-fits-all answer exists.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »

Fixed that for ya.

Totally agree!  And I do have a lot of money.  Having that money made the 6 months of surgery, chemo, and radiation easier- no financial worries. 

I've been filling the investment accounts for 25+ years.  Now, hubs and I have agreed to get the mortgage beast off our backs, and we are done.  (We are still filling the tax-advantaged space as well.)

We have wasted a lot of money over the years that may have been better off locked up in home equity.  We have never been super frugal, and there must be a lot of people like us out there that build up a few thousand dollars in a savings account but spend it instead of investing it.  The perceived inability to obtain the money kept us from spending what we saved in the 401k/IRA's over the years.

At our age (53 and 54)  it feels riskier to invest taxable money in the market, because of the shorter time frame and because we have basically all our assets invested in stocks already.  It is much easier mentally for me to "set it and forget it" in a 401k type vehicle.   I have not been able to make myself invest in taxable mutual funds, even though I believe the economy will most likely continue to grow.  And hubs is excited about putting that money toward the mortgage.

I do get the enthusiasm for investing over paying off a low-rate mortgage, but I don't think  a one-size-fits-all answer exists.

none of this changes the fact that its an expectation not a hope around here that the market will perform.  and that while you may have emotional issues preventing you from keeping a mortgage and investing - you still obviously see the benefits and should want to help encourage others to make the best financial choices even if its beyond your ability to let go and do it yourself.

to go a path i havent gone before for comparison. - someone posts a case study in which they are investing in a Roth 401k -(this was me when i got here) - its a suboptimal way for most to get to FIRE - our response should be hey you know thats really suboptimal and here's why - also here is some info on why/how suboptimal it is. - and this is rarely met with any opposition - where as if someone posts they are prepaying their mortgage and someone chimes in with hey you know thats really suboptimal and here's how incredibly suboptimal it is -  its often met with people who IMO are trying to justify their own decision to pay down a mortgage and pull more people into their click saying how great it feels and post bad math indicating interest saved etc. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:05:50 AM by boarder42 »

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2018, 08:34:39 AM »
behavioral vs. optimal. 

that's fine it just adds to the discourse.