Poll

Read the Descriptions and choose the one that most closely matches why you want to FIRE.

I don't
5 (3.5%)
I won't (was Workaholics Anonymous)
1 (0.7%)
I hate my job
12 (8.4%)
I hate the politics
11 (7.7%)
I hate the people
4 (2.8%)
Delayed Traveller
12 (8.4%)
I have a dream
10 (7%)
It's the only way out
9 (6.3%)
It's the family
4 (2.8%)
Do Anything
75 (52.4%)
South Sea Islander
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: Why do you want to FIRE?  (Read 5419 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Why do you want to FIRE?
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »
We have many people in the forum, and it's always interesting to hear how people view Mustashianism. Some years ago, I put together a light hearted poll about where people were in their Mustashian journey, and we all had a lot of fun (see https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what-type-of-re-person-are-you/  ). This time I would like you to think about why you want FIRE, and what category you fall into. Again, if you don't fit into one - add a suggestion and I may add it to the poll, or change it and add it to the poll.

So what categories do I think there are...

I don't - These people may be trying to re-create Scrooge McDuck's gold vault, or want the luxuries life can give. Either way, they're not at all ready to turn off the cash-hose.

I won't - These people love their work. They may be well recompensed, but maybe not - they might even work for free. Work is their life, whether full time, part time or contract. They do like the idea of being frugal though - and they will be if they have the time.

I hate my job - These people love their work colleagues, but absolutely hate the work they're doing. Anything else would be better. But they feel they can't leave because there's nowhere else to go. They really dive into Mustashianism, frantically cutting their bills and saving. They know that it's a life line.

I hate the politics - These people cannot stand the B*S* that accompanies the job. The work itself is OK, but they are often expected to pull rabbits out of hats, work 50 hour days for a couple of weeks... because someone can't manage properly, or maybe they work for 5 years on a project that suddenly gets canned. Or the union is continuously calling strikes. Politics are grim. They are intermittent Mustashians because work often gets in the way, but they're determined to do it - especially after the latest management stupidity.

It's the people - You are surrounded by incompetent people who are driving you mad. Your team mates make stupid mistakes, your boss is an idiot. These people are determined to FIRE and become a hermit (there will be no people to drive you mad). They will do it remarkably quickly, because they don't have the need for parties and possessions and travel that get in the way of amassing a stash.

Delayed Traveller - These people have always wanted to travel EVERYWHERE, but know that it costs a lot. They see FIRE as a way to live their dreams. They went on a holiday, and never wanted to go back to work, but knew they couldn't stay. They are DRIVEN to FIRE and travel. They have no ambition to have things (house, car...), so their road to FIRE is fairly easy because they know what they want, and they want it soon.

I have a dream - These people have an unfulfilled burning desire. They want to teach in Uganda, develop a moonlanding parachute, paint the greatest ever painting... And they can't do it without being FIRE. They'll get there. Or be hijacked along the way.

Do Anything - Unlike those who have a dream,  for these people it's nebulous. They don't want to be told what to do with their life, and there are a lot of things out there that they could do if they weren't stuck in a job. FIRE for them means a stash that enables them to live life on their own terms, with the ability to do what they want, when they want (legally, morally and sanely), without the tether of work or obligations dictating their movements or desires.

It's the only way out - These people are in terrible situations. They have burning debts, they have health problems... They know that frugality is the only way they can get out of that mess, and they will do it. If they also become FIRE, that's a real bonus. They'll probably do it too. But maybe the underlying issues that caused their problems will hijack them along the way.

It's the family - These people want to be around to see their kids growing from babies, and don't want work to get in the way. Or it might be some other family thing - homeschooling children, being there for a disabled family member. Whoever it is, is more important than work.

South Sea Islander - These people can't stand the idea of work, and would rather be basking on a south sea island or anywhere but at a job. They go about aiming to be frugal, but their savings never seem to start happening. They can't make up their minds about what they actually want to do or how they can achieve it. They keep on suggesting ways to FIRE without a stash to the rest of us.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:46:14 PM by deborah »

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Why do you want to FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 06:08:46 PM »
Initially I was going to check Delayed Traveler, but the real answer is: Freedom—I just want to live life on my own terms, with the ability to do what I want, when I want (legally, morally and sanely), without the tether of work or obligations dictating my movements or desires.

That’s it in a nutshell. I didn’t think that life was possible unless you won the lottery through luck or family. Now I know it can be possible with planning, strategy and commitment. Sure, it’ll happen a bit later but that’s ok. I have unknowingly kinda lived this life anyways but I was never secure, just figured I wouldn’t live long enough to worry about the future. Since I’m here, I can’t think like that anymore so now I’m using everything to make true FI happen as quickly as possible and once there, it’s time to RE and enjoy that journey, wherever it takes.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »
Traveller, for sure - except not totally delayed, because we travel about 10% of the year now, but totally want to do more. But the description you gave is totally accurate - we did our first trip together to England, it was amazing, and literally as soon as we got back I started researching my options and seriously learning about FIRE. We have zero desire for material things like a house, car, etc, and like you said, it is very easy.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »
Freedom is mine as well. I don't have specific plans or dreams, yet. And travel isn't calling me. And I like my job and the people I work with. I have enough and it is time to be free to do whatever I decide I want to do.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 06:35:26 PM »
Initially I was going to check Delayed Traveler, but the real answer is: Freedom—I just want to live life on my own terms, with the ability to do what I want, when I want (legally, morally and sanely), without the tether of work or obligations dictating my movements or desires.

That’s it in a nutshell. I didn’t think that life was possible unless you won the lottery through luck or family. Now I know it can be possible with planning, strategy and commitment. Sure, it’ll happen a bit later but that’s ok. I have unknowingly kinda lived this life anyways but I was never secure, just figured I wouldn’t live long enough to worry about the future. Since I’m here, I can’t think like that anymore so now I’m using everything to make true FI happen as quickly as possible and once there, it’s time to RE and enjoy that journey, wherever it takes.

This is me, too. I just want to own my time. That’s all.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »
Delayed Traveler, zero desire for a car and all. Except my initial drive to be a retired nomad didn't come from a trip. I went on plenty as a kid. But it didn't click that you could do it full time until I read about someone else's retired nomad life.

Ironically, after a year of traveling, I am over it. I'm settling down in a new city instead.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »

None of the answers fit.  I want to FIRE to have freedom to do what I want when I want without the responsibilities of a job.  I think that's one of the most common answers, but it's not a choice here.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »

None of the answers fit.  I want to FIRE to have freedom to do what I want when I want without the responsibilities of a job.  I think that's one of the most common answers, but it's not a choice here.

Yeah, I'm in this boat. I want to FIRE because I can, because I think recreation is more fun than work, and because I find my job - though often satisfying and rewarding - to be not the optimal use of 45 hours of each week. I also derive satisfaction from knowing that I am able to take modest advantage of "the system" - I see FIRE as like beating the final boss of a video game, and I'm trying to get there reasonably early without making too many unwanted lifestyle sacrifices.

So part recreation/leisure (Delayed Traveller), part "winning"/challenge (*), part practical/lifestyle (South Sea Islander - but not sure why the description for this option is pejorative).

(*) - I would suggest another option - the Everest nomad. This person FIRES because it's there, and it's a worthy challenge.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:47:45 PM by Bloop Bloop »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »
OK. I have problems with "freedom". It has so many meanings. The USA claims to be the land of the free, but, although it has 5% of the world's population, it has 20% of the world's known prisoners. This doesn't strike me as freedom. I like the Paula Pants slogan "afford anything". Is that what you mean?

Afford Anything - Unlike those who have a dream,  for these people it's nebulous. They don't want to be told what to do with their life, and there are a lot of things out there that they could do if they weren't stuck in a job. FIRE for them means a stash that enables them to live life on their own terms, with the ability to do what they want, when they want (legally, morally and sanely), without the tether of work or obligations dictating their movements or desires.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 07:52:01 PM »
I don't quite understand how there are 9 options in the poll and I don't identify with any of them.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »
I don't quite understand how there are 9 options in the poll and I don't identify with any of them.
Because I cannot think of all the options by myself.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »
OK. I have problems with "freedom". It has so many meanings. The USA claims to be the land of the free, but, although it has 5% of the world's population, it has 20% of the world's known prisoners. This doesn't strike me as freedom.
It probably depends on whether you're speaking from the perspective of a prisoner or a normal layperson. Normal people still don't get imprisoned in the States. It's just that the ones who stray and have brushes with the law are subject to much harsher penalties than most other countries.

Back on topic:
Afford Anything - Unlike those who have a dream,  for these people it's nebulous. They don't want to be told what to do with their life, and there are a lot of things out there that they could do if they weren't stuck in a job. FIRE for them means a stash that enables them to live life on their own terms, with the ability to do what they want, when they want (legally, morally and sanely), without the tether of work or obligations dictating their movements or desires.

I think this is a good description, although I think maybe the label should be "Do Anything" rather than "Afford anything".

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
I don’t think the characterization of those of us who don’t wish to FIRE is accurate. And therein lies a  problem within the FIRE community: the inability/ unwillingness to separate FI and RE as different concepts. I’m a huge fan of FI. To me that represents the ability to chose one’s financial fate and all that entails. FI doesn’t necessarily equal RE. There are some of us out there who are generally happy with our careers and don’t see RE as all that greatly attractive. To characterize those here who aren’t equally excited about both halves of FI and RE as somehow rolling in the bucks and unwilling to give up their (probably nonexistent) domestic help is inaccurate as well as condescending.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »
I don’t think the characterization of those of us who don’t wish to FIRE is accurate. And therein lies a  problem within the FIRE community: the inability/ unwillingness to separate FI and RE as different concepts. I’m a huge fan of FI. To me that represents the ability to chose one’s financial fate and all that entails. FI doesn’t necessarily equal RE. There are some of us out there who are generally happy with our careers and don’t see RE as all that greatly attractive. To characterize those here who aren’t equally excited about both halves of FI and RE as somehow rolling in the bucks and unwilling to give up their (probably nonexistent) domestic help is inaccurate as well as condescending.

I get where you're coming from. I think the labels were meant to be playful (Workaholics Anonymous is not meant to be an actual criticism or a statement that you're literally a workaholic) but I can see why you might find them inaccurate.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 08:11:15 PM »
Why doesn’t Workaholics Anonymous fit?

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 08:39:53 PM »
Because characterizing those who are happily working as “workaholics “ isn’t really accurate, either.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 08:41:04 PM »
Because characterizing those who are happily working as “workaholics “ isn’t really accurate, either.
What would you like them to be called?

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »

Do Anything - They don't want to be told what to do with their life, and... FIRE for them means a stash that enables them to live life on their own terms, with the ability to do what they want, when they want (legally, morally and sanely), without the tether of work or obligations dictating their movements or desires.

^

My aspiration to live  in a condition of maximum freedom, as described above,   is what motivated me to FIRE as soon as possible.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:15:01 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »
OK. I have problems with "freedom". It has so many meanings. The USA claims to be the land of the free, but, although it has 5% of the world's population, it has 20% of the world's known prisoners. This doesn't strike me as freedom. I like the Paula Pants slogan "afford anything". Is that what you mean?

That description sounds better to me, but not the name "afford anything" because it's not about being able to afford anything to me, but it's about freedom to do what I want.  I realize there are things I won't ever be able to afford, but that's ok, as long as I have my freedom.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 11:59:15 PM »
Selected 'delayed traveler' but for the last 12 years I've been able to travel for work.  I'm FI but still enjoy the work travel and expat lifestyle, so maybe I'm 'I don't' want to FIRE?  I certainly don't want to FIRE if I enjoy what I'm doing and get paid for it, although I also think I'll enjoy ER too but have to pay out of my own pocket for travel and health insurance. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:15:33 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

sillysassy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 12:34:33 AM »
i love to travel and i have been traveling for the past few years.
unfortunately, very low savings so i decided to start saving, start working but with very few expenses.

and putting the money to work and hope can shorten my time to FIRE and back to traveling again!

sillysassy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 12:35:26 AM »
i only managed to choose 1 "Delayed Traveler"
but i have more than 1 reasons.

I hate my work too. hahaha. it motives me to save and keep getting better at FIRE so that I can fire my job.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 04:05:31 AM »
For me it's a combination. I would like to do anything on my own conditions. But I also hate office politics and I don't enjoy my current office space and some work tasks. Not bad enough to change jobs though, because that would mean a much longer commute and depending on the train.

But I chose Do Anything.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 04:18:30 AM »
I have come to realize that I'm a workaholic and need to stop it!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 04:56:32 AM »
I picked "I don't" and it has nothing to do with rolling in money, and the description is pretty hostile.

There are many paths to happiness, and sometimes those paths include continuing to do profitable work.

...kind of like MMM himself...shocking!

Unlike MMM though, I decided to skip the whole decade of working a day job and went straight to working only fun projects on my own terms.

That's why I don't care about FIRE, for me it's not about putting off happiness for more money, it's actually that I'm too impatient to put it off for the sake of reaching a savings target.

My attitude? The money will work itself out. I don't really need to think about it too much.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »
I suppose the closest category is the Do Anything as it's definitely nebulous and want freedom but I'm not sure how much the job is holding me back.  I have a good work/life balance currently (remote employee, pick your own 80 hours each pay period, get paid for OT or voluntarily work extra for comp time [if you want to save/build your vacation balance], can roll over a decent amount of vacation, etc.).  When FIREd, sure, the freedom will only increase but as an example, shifting the lake house trips from the weekend to the weekday just because I can isn't anything earth-shattering.  I will retire earlier than normal but likely not as soon as I'm FI.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 11:40:13 AM »
I want everyone to leave me the fuck alone.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »
Do anything, followed closely by delayed traveler. Although, we travel a fair bit anyway in the meantime, just not as much as I WANT to. Also, what @Cool Friend said. :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 02:16:22 PM »
I’m a bit puzzled by some of the comments.

The categories distinguish between those who won’t retire (I don’t and workaholics anonymous), those who are retiring from something and those who plan to retire to something. I expected everyone to have something concrete, and exaggerated the categories so people could distinguish between them. I thought of comments that people have made in the past to devise my categories.

The people who don’t want to retire appear to have problems with those categories - money and status (I don’t) vs love of the work they do (workaholics anonymous). And I don’t understand. Especially the comments that the description in the first one is pretty hostile. And people seem to be avoiding the second one, where they actually seem to fit. Maybe it’s a cultural difference as I’m Australian rather than American. Maybe there’s another reason that should be a separate category.

I’m also surprised at how many who are retiring to something have a nebulous idea of what they want from retirement. I wouldn’t have thought that would be enough to drive people towards FIRE. There’s a lot of constant work involved: getting your finances in order, ignoring the rampant consumerism of society... Too much for it to be so much of a driver, I would have thought.

I was never going to retire. I loved my work (workaholics anonymous). I felt that I was able to do enormous things that you could never do alone. But things happened. Politics (it’s the politics). And disasters occurred that my people were involved in, and I couldn’t be there to help because of work. I resolved that I was never going to be in that situation again (I have a dream). So I retired. I’ve never regretted it.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 03:01:00 PM »
I expected everyone to have something concrete, and exaggerated the categories so people could distinguish between them. I thought of comments that people have made in the past to devise my categories.

Sometimes, the extra comments actually disqualify something that might otherwise fit.  But I was surprised freedom wasn't a choice.  You added "do anything" which I would have picked if it had been available when I voted, but it won't let me change my answer.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 03:18:58 PM »
I expected everyone to have something concrete, and exaggerated the categories so people could distinguish between them. I thought of comments that people have made in the past to devise my categories.
Sometimes, the extra comments actually disqualify something that might otherwise fit.  But I was surprised freedom wasn't a choice.  You added "do anything" which I would have picked if it had been available when I voted, but it won't let me change my answer.
Sorry, I didn’t check the box that allows people to change their answer, and it is no longer available.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:40:55 PM by deborah »

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 03:44:42 PM »
I want to spend quality time w my wife and kids while we are still young - the thought of retiring when the kids are leaving the house to go on leading their own life is depressing to me. I would feel like I have missed one of the biggest purpose of my time on this planet.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »
Feel like quite a few applies, but I guess "Do Anything" kind of wraps them all up.

I don't like my job, I'm not particularly fond of the people I work with, and I don't like the politics of it. I also want to travel and be able to do whatever I want (even if it means nothing).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 03:58:34 PM »
You don't find "They must have all the accoutrements of wealth and certainly can't do without a house cleaner. The rest of us wonder why they're here" to be at all hostile?

And you don't get why someone who wants to work casually on cool projects that may be profitable might not consider themselves a "workaholic"? It also specifically describes the people who love their work as not particularly frugal, which seems like a weird assumption, since Pete himself continues to work...

Also because you thought you wanted to continue working, but couldn't, and now don't regret it, everyone else who wants to continue working is...what? Wrong?

Both of your options for continuing to work sound judgemental as fuck, but whatever, it's your poll, they can be whatever you want them to be.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:02:26 PM by Malkynn »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 04:13:24 PM »
You don't find "They must have all the accoutrements of wealth and certainly can't do without a house cleaner. The rest of us wonder why they're here" to be at all hostile?

And you don't get why someone who wants to work casually on cool projects that may be profitable might not consider themselves a "workaholic"? It also specifically describes the people who love their work as not particularly frugal, which seems like a weird assumption, since Pete himself continues to work...

Also because you thought you wanted to continue working, but couldn't, and now don't regret it, everyone else who wants to continue working is...what? Wrong?

Both of your options for continuing to work sound judgemental as fuck, but whatever, it's your poll, they can be whatever you want them to be.

The options certainly weren't meant to be that judgemental! And I certainly don't think they are bad or wrong options. Things happened to me, otherwise I would still be happy working at what I did. I planned to develop my own business when I retired, but I now have frail elderly parents, and live a day's drive from them, so my life is spent going up and down the road. I've been there 10 times so far this year, for a week each time, and I would probably prefer your life. But they'll soon be dead or in some dementia place, so these are my last chances to see them living independently, and they really need the assistance I'm giving them.

How would you reword the options, as I still have trouble working out what's wrong with them? I'd appreciate your input.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »
It's not so much that I hate my job.  It's that I've never figured out what I'm good enough at to be paid for that I also enjoy doing.  I guess if I thought I was great at my job and really enjoyed it I might not be in such a big hurry to retire.  But if I get laid off (again), I don't know what I'll do for paid employment.

I just went through a 4-month stretch of unemployment, and it was no fun.  Every day I beat myself up for not being good at something that's in demand.  But at the same time I really had no idea what I might want to do.  I'm envious of people who are confident they could lose their job today and find a new one tomorrow.  I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  I'm afraid I could go years without finding a new job, and I'd rather not have to worry about that any more.  So, I'm trying to each my FI number as soon as possible.

In a nutshell, I've never had a job I liked and doubt I'll ever find one.  So, why would I want to continue working any longer than I have to?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 04:50:01 PM »

The options certainly weren't meant to be that judgemental! And I certainly don't think they are bad or wrong options. Things happened to me, otherwise I would still be happy working at what I did. I planned to develop my own business when I retired, but I now have frail elderly parents, and live a day's drive from them, so my life is spent going up and down the road. I've been there 10 times so far this year, for a week each time, and I would probably prefer your life. But they'll soon be dead or in some dementia place, so these are my last chances to see them living independently, and they really need the assistance I'm giving them.

How would you reword the options, as I still have trouble working out what's wrong with them? I'd appreciate your input.

If you want to keep them light hearted you could say

I don't: These people have some Boglehead tendencies. Maybe they spend a little more, maybe they don't and are trying to re-create Scrooge McDuck's gold vault, either way, they're not at all ready to turn off the cash-hose.

I won't: These are the weirdos who would work for free. They tried getting a hobby once, but ended up making money on it anyway. Maybe full time, maybe part time, maybe contract...maybe they'll start a massively successful blog about personal finance while building houses and starting community initiatives...who knows!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 05:07:27 PM »
I want everyone to leave me the fuck alone.

"The makers of our Constitution...conferred, as against the Government, the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men." Justice Brandeis

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
The options have been changed. As I have never read bogleheads, I tend to assume there are others like me. I hope the changes are more fitting.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2019, 06:37:14 PM »
I want FI for Freedom, dont see any of the voting options that match this reason. Not so interested in RE.

Freedom to to work at what I want to do, when and how I want to do it as well.

Without compensation polluting my decision whether or not to take the work opportunity. The larger the stash, the less the pollution.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
I identified with both the Traveling and Dream selections but mostly with the Do Anything camp which for me is like Having multiple dreams as opposed to a single thing.  Not nebulous per se because they are ideas I've kicked around but there is no one thing to retire for.  I like to keep my options open. 

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2019, 04:11:14 AM »
I wish you would have kept it as Freedom and not Do Anything. You reframed it because of some personal belief about the different connotations of freedom, but I had provided a concrete one. You wanted to know what people think, we told you, and you modified it. Lol, weird. I’ll keep calling it Freedom cause that excites me.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2019, 05:17:59 AM »
I didn't answer the poll because I have multiple equally valid reasons.

I want freedom to act on my various (many!) dreams, mostly having to do with creative and entrepreneurial projects that may or may not make money. I don't want money to get in the way of doing anything.

Also, can't stand work politics or the rigidity of a schedule where I can't take a day off unless it is requested months in advance.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2019, 06:11:43 AM »
I want to be able to FIRE. The FI part is the most meaningful.

I don't want to have to work. Freedom to choose my job or where my money goes are really meaningful to me.

My wife and I were talking the other day about setting a goal to give away $50/day. Where does that fit into your categories?

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 12:17:12 PM »
I like to "win" and FIRE is just the worthy goal I've got in front to be motivated about. I was also the kind of kid to sit in the front row and do all the assigned reading.

I anticipate having difficulty finding purpose after hitting FI, so I've started now with lifting weights, journaling, and spreading the FIRE to open-minded young people.

jaysee

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »
Thanks for posting, this is a cool personality test!

For me:

33.333% - It's the people
33.333% - Delayed Traveller
33.333% - Do Anything
00.001% - Misc

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
I'm an artist who has almost always lost money. Maybe my work will bring me millions, but maybe I just need to make some millions and fund the dream.

Us2bCool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »
I'm going to say Do Anything, but my specific reason is to shield myself from work politics. Not that they are bad necessarily, but I'm a woman working in technology, I'm remote, and I'm over 50. If I get laid off, it's going to be very hard to find a comparable position, so my stache let's me sleep at night. And I sleep very well!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
So many of these options are so negative. I tend to frame it as FIREing towards something not away from something. The leaving the work behind and the like is just an inevitable consequence of reaching FIRE. Those particular things that are perceived as negative just are there. There will always be some form of BS out in the world. Trying to FIRE to escape BS is like moving to another city to make you happy. The hint is that it is not the location which makes you happy or unhappy. It is you.

In short I guess I would put it as Do Anything then.

BuddyXL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2019, 06:05:32 AM »
I just don't want to work anymore.

Been working since I was 16 and 50 something now so I'm done.  I no longer feel work means anything more than collecting a pay check.  Maybe if I was a doctor saving lives or something important yeah, but I am not.  I just push papers around and attend meeting for a boss who thinks they are really important because they collect a big salary.  At the end of the day if we did nothing, the world would be no worse off.

So no hard feelings with anyone or anything, I would just like to step away from work, do things in my yard, travel and just take it easy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!