Author Topic: Who has the best Cult? Dave Ramsey or MMM?  (Read 19094 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: Who has the best Cult? Dave Ramsey or MMM?
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »
The BogleHeads cult is older than MMM's. And in it's previous incarnation as the Diehards forum at Morningstar.

BH is a cult. Saying "Feck" will get you a warning. Any spicy language will get you banned. The fogies there don't like spicy language, and giving a verbal facepunch will result in a mod's wrath.

But it is the best cult, because lazy portfolios and tons of great resources to read. They have very technical forums, with some smart heavyweights posting there. And then you'll have the folks who ask you to help justify their $5000 Rolex purchase or new Porsche.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:21 AM »
The BogleHeads cult is older than MMM's. And in it's previous incarnation as the Diehards forum at Morningstar.

BH is a cult. Saying "Feck" will get you a warning. Any spicy language will get you banned. The fogies there don't like spicy language, and giving a verbal facepunch will result in a mod's wrath.

But it is the best cult, because lazy portfolios and tons of great resources to read. They have very technical forums, with some smart heavyweights posting there. And then you'll have the folks who ask you to help justify their $5000 Rolex purchase or new Porsche.
Anytime I want to feel financially well off I poke around the DR forums

Anytime I want to feel poor I head over to bogleheads

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »

How on earth does that make it a cult? They simply have a different image that they are trying to cultivate. A more "respectable businessman" image if you will, vs MMM's "rootin-tootin cowboy of the financial wild west" image. Not every forum on the internet that has forum rules that you don't like is a "cult".

I have often heard DR followers justify their plan with "well that's what Dave says" in response to criticism, which sure is pretty cultish. I have sometimes heard people here do the same with MMM's advice, but they usually get criticized a little for it. and people typically revert to actual facts and math. Far less cultish, but maybe a little. I've never gotten the impression that Bogleheads are following John Bogle's advice without actual understanding (or anyone else's).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:27:08 PM by sherr »

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2020, 01:12:57 AM »

I don't have any difficulty justifying a $5000 Rolex or new Porsche (well, maybe the Porsche should be 3 years old to take advantage of the depreciation curve, but for a GT3 or GT4 the depreciation is barely there). I'm glad that this forum has a good spread of financial opinions. Also Rolexes, though not my thing, hold value extremely well. If you pick an asset that holds value well and/or you make it tax deductible (and in my country it's extremely easy to make vehicles tax deductible if you're self employed) then it can be surprisingly cheap.

One reason I think the MMM "cult" is superior to a lot of others is that we allow many, many divergent views. And that's wonderful.

I have unorthodox views in that I'm pretty neoliberal, but I am very rarely flamed on this forum, and I'm never moderated. That's so great. On other forums I've been banned just for expressing my views. I don't think you'll find a post where I'm rude or I resort to personal attacks, so it's not like my manner was personally aggressive. I love the intellectual freedom we have on these forums. It's similar to real life where I hang out with a bunch of pretty cool people and can put up controversial opinions and people recognise it as an intellectual sport, not some sort of personal war.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2020, 05:45:00 AM »

I don't have any difficulty justifying a $5000 Rolex or new Porsche (well, maybe the Porsche should be 3 years old to take advantage of the depreciation curve, but for a GT3 or GT4 the depreciation is barely there). I'm glad that this forum has a good spread of financial opinions. Also Rolexes, though not my thing, hold value extremely well. If you pick an asset that holds value well and/or you make it tax deductible (and in my country it's extremely easy to make vehicles tax deductible if you're self employed) then it can be surprisingly cheap.

One reason I think the MMM "cult" is superior to a lot of others is that we allow many, many divergent views. And that's wonderful.

I have unorthodox views in that I'm pretty neoliberal, but I am very rarely flamed on this forum, and I'm never moderated. That's so great. On other forums I've been banned just for expressing my views. I don't think you'll find a post where I'm rude or I resort to personal attacks, so it's not like my manner was personally aggressive. I love the intellectual freedom we have on these forums. It's similar to real life where I hang out with a bunch of pretty cool people and can put up controversial opinions and people recognise it as an intellectual sport, not some sort of personal war.

I agree that one of the things I like about this particular forum (and is severely constrained in both DR and BH) is the freedom permitted to discuss a variety of viewpoints in a civil manner.  Tip of the hat to the mods, who help make that happen.  It's not easy allowing a lot of opinions while keeping it from becoming a raging dumpster fire (like much of Reddit).

It's weird we've settled into discussing $5k rolex watches and Porches.  Personally I have an ethical problem with both - particularly the Rolex.  In brief, I don't like luxury objects who's sole function is to signal wealth.  A $5k Rolex watch does not perform it's sole fucntion demonstrably better than it's $50 counterparts. IMO at that end of the spectrum it's no longer about style or design, but social signaling (in a very F-you, 'I'm better than you,' consumeristic sort of way).

As for 'holding it's value' - meh.  I totally get how luxury jewelry can maintain and even increase their value.  As for luxury vehiches... that's been discussed on this forum and typically requires the owner to conveniently ignore a lot of additional factors, like opportunity cost, insurance, maintenance and storage.  Every so often a car becomes a classic collectable and skyrockets in value, but the majority don't, and there's (almost) always the requirement that it's not actually driven much and kept in near-new condition. In other words... you can't use your Porshe like a normal car and expect to come out ahead.  Those that argue that Porches are 'a better value because they depreciate less' are - IME - ignoring the above factors.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »
Love that table.

If you allocate spending on a per-capita basis, we are somewhere around level 6 at this point.  Which also feels about right in terms of the other descriptors.  After the kids launch and I move somewhere with a better setup for year-round food productions (chickens, I'm looking at you....) I might move up to level 7. 

I read Your Money Or Your Life while still in grad school with no debt so we probably started our journey somewhere between level 3-4   --  back in 1997 the million dollar goal seemed much further away but on a practical level we were pretty much already at level 4.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2020, 10:16:49 AM »

In brief, I don't like luxury objects who's sole function is to signal wealth. 

One of my dearest older friends is a sage Jewish matron.

She told me that women wear their expensive jewelry so that other women can see it.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:47:11 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2020, 10:30:51 AM »

Hear, hear!

MMM is a superior website.

"If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other, it is the principle of free thought—not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate." Justice Holmes

"Of that  freedom [of speech] one may say that it is the matrix, the indispensable condition, of nearly every other form of freedom." Justice Cardozo

The "right to criticize either by temperate reasoning or by immoderate and indecent invective, [is] normally the privilege of the individual in countries dependent upon the free expression of opinion as the ultimate source of authority."  Judge Learned Hand
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:43:17 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »
To understand the Ramsey values, you really need to read The Legacy Journey. (ETA: a lot of non-Christians find Ramsey useful for getting control of their debt and spending, but the deeper questions about a lifetime approach to ethics cannot be separated from Ramsey's reliance on Evangelical Christianity)

To understand the MMM values, you really need to read https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/11/23/not-extreme-frugality/

Both movements are ultimately about creating people who share these values. You choose your movement based on yours.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:10:22 AM by talltexan »

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2020, 05:16:14 PM »

It's weird we've settled into discussing $5k rolex watches and Porches.  Personally I have an ethical problem with both - particularly the Rolex.  In brief, I don't like luxury objects who's sole function is to signal wealth.  A $5k Rolex watch does not perform it's sole fucntion demonstrably better than it's $50 counterparts. IMO at that end of the spectrum it's no longer about style or design, but social signaling (in a very F-you, 'I'm better than you,' consumeristic sort of way).
I agree the Rolex (and almost any luxury good) has a problematic aspect as it's partly - not solely in my view, as the mechanical craftsmanship is far better than a $50 watch - there to signify wealth. At some level this becomes obscene. In my view most yachts are obscene. In your view a Rolex is obscene. We each have different tolerances for lavish objects. I don't disagree that most luxury items have some degree of problematic signalling attached.

As for holding value, my point isn't that it's value neutral, for there are considerable maintenance costs, but if you buy carefully it's a lot cheaper than it would otherwise seem and it can be fairly affordable despite the 'on paper' cost. Most cars and watches hold value very badly, but some cars and watches (and bags and other things) hold value very well so if you're going to buy something nice at least try to do your research.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2020, 07:20:13 AM »
I think there is a fundamental difference between what DR does and what FIRE/MMM does.

DR is very much a top-down institution. You buy into his teachings and do not deviate from the one true path (ie baby steps). Yes you can win that way and that may be the type of handholding that a lot of people need.

FIRE as I see it is very much a grass roots movement, and obviously MMM is the most well known practitioner, but there is no one true path and it recognises that everyone has their own way of doing things. You can philosophically have a debate between one person who aggressively overpays their mortgage and another who doesn’t intend paying it off at all and invests all their cashflow instead. DR would shut that sort of debate down immediately.

That’s why I don’t see much overlap between them. A rigid rule based approach will work if you’re crap with money. If you have good money habits already then FI is a much better community to express yourself.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2020, 07:43:31 AM »
To understand the Ramsey values, you really need to read The Legacy Journey. (ETA: a lot of non-Christians find Ramsey useful for getting control of their debt and spending, but the deeper questions about a lifetime approach to ethics cannot be separated from Ramsey's reliance on Evangelical Christianity)

To understand the MMM values, you really need to read https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/11/23/not-extreme-frugality/

Both movements are ultimately about creating people who share these values. You choose your movement based on yours.

I tend to take what I want from both camps.  It's not an either/or proposition.  Both Ramsey and MMM have some very good wisdom and practices to share.  Both have things I don't agree with and things that I'm much less hardcore about.  Both are fantastic at communicating and motivating. 

kevj1085

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2020, 05:19:11 AM »

The thing I hate about the DR group & even the blogs is it’s always his way or you are blocked. The MMM  crowd is much more open to debate & discussion & finding what really works for you.  I see nothing wrong with responsible credit card or HELOC use. Buying cash flowing rental properties with a mortgage is something the DR crowd will miss out on.

Do you think this is because he has a "method" and if people start accepting corner cutting on his suggestions and it goes accepted, it becomes a "oh well Dave ramsey said I could carry debt on my rental loan, etc. etc."? It seems he has more of a business brand to uphold, whereas MMM can say what he wants.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2020, 06:31:06 AM »

The thing I hate about the DR group & even the blogs is it’s always his way or you are blocked. The MMM  crowd is much more open to debate & discussion & finding what really works for you.  I see nothing wrong with responsible credit card or HELOC use. Buying cash flowing rental properties with a mortgage is something the DR crowd will miss out on.

Do you think this is because he has a "method" and if people start accepting corner cutting on his suggestions and it goes accepted, it becomes a "oh well Dave ramsey said I could carry debt on my rental loan, etc. etc."? It seems he has more of a business brand to uphold, whereas MMM can say what he wants.

Yes, that's exactly it. He doesn't just have more of a business brand, he has a full on multi media business structure whose purpose is to sell as much product as possible. His product is his system, so he builds a culture around reverence of the system.

DR is running a major business with an intense focus on maximizing his market share, MMM occasionally writes opinion pieces with little regard for how they will be recieved, and generally disregards his market share.

From a consumer point of view, yes, they seem quite similar, but from a top down point of view they could not be more different.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »
I think Suze Ormen could buy and sell both of them.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2020, 10:27:35 AM »

No, google says Suze is worth between 30 and 75 million depending which site you believe.  She could buy and sell MMM who doesn't seem motivated to reach that level of wealth so he has stopped trying to make money and gives a lot away.  Ramsey is worth over 200 million (and also gives a lot of money away) but he is still trying to make money so I wouldn't expect Suze to ever come close to catching him. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2020, 11:32:38 AM »

No, google says Suze is worth between 30 and 75 million depending which site you believe.  She could buy and sell MMM who doesn't seem motivated to reach that level of wealth so he has stopped trying to make money and gives a lot away.  Ramsey is worth over 200 million (and also gives a lot of money away) but he is still trying to make money so I wouldn't expect Suze to ever come close to catching him.

Thank you for putting actual numbers to what I've been trying to say throughout this whole thread.

These two entities are WILDLY different, they only appear similar in the most superficial of ways.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »

Thank you for putting actual numbers to what I've been trying to say throughout this whole thread.

These two entities are WILDLY different, they only appear similar in the most superficial of ways.

It also suggests that both would be willing to sell their brand for enough money.  Given that MMM has repeatedly turned down offers to sell his blog (even though he's pretty passive overall) I'm not sure an offer would be accepted.  DR lends his name to all sorts of stuff (e.g. syndicated radio personalities; paid seminar speakers, real-estate courses) so I think he'd be more responsive to a buyer.  But then again, what a company is worth is often far more than its current book-value. If Dave can earn a couple million each year through his name, typically it would cost an order of magnitude (or more) to gain control.

tl;dr - Suze likely doesn't have anywhere close to 'buy' DR, and MMM seems unlikely to be for sale anyway.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2020, 02:53:59 PM »
It also suggests that both would be willing to sell their brand for enough money.  Given that MMM has repeatedly turned down offers to sell his blog (even though he's pretty passive overall) I'm not sure an offer would be accepted.  DR lends his name to all sorts of stuff (e.g. syndicated radio personalities; paid seminar speakers, real-estate courses) so I think he'd be more responsive to a buyer.  But then again, what a company is worth is often far more than its current book-value. If Dave can earn a couple million each year through his name, typically it would cost an order of magnitude (or more) to gain control.

tl;dr - Suze likely doesn't have anywhere close to 'buy' DR, and MMM seems unlikely to be for sale anyway.

"could by and sell" is just a phrase to say they have more money.  I can't see either DR or MMM being willing to sell.  MMM is not actively pursuing more money plus he doesn't want to sell his blog and see it used for anything he doesn't like.  DR enjoys his work, wants to help people and wants to leave the business to his kids.  So, neither wants to sell and neither needs more money than they already have.  The only way I could see either one being willing to sell is if they were convinced that selling would align with their values and do more good than continuing to own. 

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2021, 10:38:11 PM »
DR cult is dangerous for its employees health...

https://religionnews.com/2021/01/15/dave-ramsey-is-tired-of-being-called-a-jerk-for-his-stands-on-sex-and-covid/

Side note the amazing hypocrisy of firing a woman for sex out of marriage, but his biggest "ramsey personality" gets a pass on some extramarital BJs...

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2021, 05:50:43 AM »
DR cult is dangerous for its employees health...

https://religionnews.com/2021/01/15/dave-ramsey-is-tired-of-being-called-a-jerk-for-his-stands-on-sex-and-covid/

Side note the amazing hypocrisy of firing a woman for sex out of marriage, but his biggest "ramsey personality" gets a pass on some extramarital BJs...

HOly shit wow. I found DR in 2008 and it made a big impact on my life... over the years I'd watch YT clips of him to keep me on track but after his covid views I was done.

This though, wow. I have fam that I turned on to him and they even got to be financial coaches by him. I'd love to share this with them, but they're super xtians and have drunk the kool aid on Dave so there's no hope.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2021, 07:55:39 AM »
God damn this is enough to make me feel dirty for ever having listened to him and for buying one of his books like 12 years ago. What a petty and hypocritical tyrant. It would honestly amaze me (but not surprise me) at the thought of someone reading this and saying, "Hell yes, that's where I want to work! For someone who will micromanage my entire life."

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2021, 08:27:18 AM »
God damn this is enough to make me feel dirty for ever having listened to him and for buying one of his books like 12 years ago. What a petty and hypocritical tyrant. It would honestly amaze me (but not surprise me) at the thought of someone reading this and saying, "Hell yes, that's where I want to work! For someone who will micromanage my entire life."

Same. I even feel dirty giving him YouTube clicks

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »

There is no "best" way. This is true of almost everything in life. There's only what works best for each individual, which is a function of temperament and education.

Right.
Temperament, education,... and values.

That’s why I always wonder when the  cry comes  “we must teach financial literacy in the public
schools “ I want to know what exactly are they going to teach!??? So much of financial success comes from values we learn at home. So, if we can’t learn them at home, can an inspirational teacher pass on those values? Maybe.

But what if that teacher is Ramsey driven versus MMM driven? Dave Ramsey is never going to light my fire. Pete, and the ones before him like  Joe Dominguez, will light my fire. A friend of mine while I was a young adult tracked every purchase she made. While  I never did that, that tracking idea caught and held my attention.

Traditional “budgeting”  that they taught us in home economics way back in high school never caught me. I don’t budget and never have. And I have a craploads of money.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:15:01 AM by iris lily »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2021, 08:50:06 AM »

There is no "best" way. This is true of almost everything in life. There's only what works best for each individual, which is a function of temperament and education.

Right.
Temperament, education, and values.

That’s why I always wonder when the human cry comes out about “we must teach financial literacy in the public schools “I want to know what exactly are they going to teach!??? Paragraph so much of financial success comes from values we learn at home. So, if we can’t learn them at home, can an inspirational teacher pass on those values? Sure maybe?

But what if that teacher is Ramsey driven versus MMM driven? Dave Ramsey is never going to light my fire. Pete, and that was before him like Joe Dominguez, light my fire. A friend of mine while I was a young adult tracked every purchase she made. Well I never did that, that tracking idea cut my attention.

Traditional “budgeting quote that they taught us in home economics way back in high school never caught me. I don’t budget and never have. And I have a craploads of money.

To me, budgeting has always reminded me of religion.  Those who practice it assume everyone would be better off if they practiced it as well, and even go so far as to try to convert people (e.g. “You Need a Budget!!) But there’s a dichotomy with those who don’t - those who have ‘strayed from fiscal responsibility’ could almost certainly benefit, but then there are those of us who don’t need and don’t want and won’t particularly benefit - yet the converts are constantly telling us “you need a budget!”

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »

Right.

That’s why I always wonder when the human cry comes out about “we must teach financial literacy in the public schools “I want to know what exactly are they going to teach!??? Paragraph so much of financial success comes from values we learn at home. So, if we can’t learn them at home, can an inspirational teacher pass on those values? Sure maybe?

But what if that teacher is Ramsey driven versus MMM driven? Dave Ramsey is never going to light my fire. Pete, and that was before him like Joe Dominguez, light my fire. A friend of mine while I was a young adult tracked every purchase she made. Well I never did that, that tracking idea cut my attention.

Traditional “budgeting quote that they taught us in home economics way back in high school never caught me. I don’t budget and never have. And I have a craploads of money.

To me, budgeting has always reminded me of religion.  Those who practice it assume everyone would be better off if they practiced it as well, and even go so far as to try to convert people (e.g. “You Need a Budget!!) But there’s a dichotomy with those who don’t - those who have ‘strayed from fiscal responsibility’ could almost certainly benefit, but then there are those of us who don’t need and don’t want and won’t particularly benefit - yet the converts are constantly telling us “you need a budget!”

This reminds me of a book “Budgets Dont Work!” Which addresses these various ways of looking at money. One size does not fit all.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:58:26 AM by iris lily »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2021, 11:15:47 AM »
I looked up the Melissa Browne book, thanks for the referral!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2021, 11:57:06 AM »
I looked up the Melissa Browne book, thanks for the referral!

I haven’t read the book so I can’t give you a personal recommendation. I just know that I’ve never been a budgeter.   And it was only when I was in my 50s that I finally figured out that most of those “responsible with money” are budgeters.

I have two life lessons about budgeting:

The first one is one I’ve told on this forum before and it’s about the pervasive view of “budgeting.”

Two times in my life, first with my first job as a young adult and second a subsequent job decades later, the personnel department when explaining benefits talked about “the extra paycheck we get. “

I never understood what they were talking about. What the hell is an extra paycheck? We get paid every two weeks with no variation. What is this extra damn paycheck? It took a long time for me to figure out they’re talking about for people who budget on a monthly basis, there are couple times a year where there are paychecks issued three times within a month. Or something like that.it is a bonanza of unaccounted-for money.

Then that leads into the second life lesson that’s always made sense to me: one of the financial gurus said that people who think in terms of monthly seldom build significant wealth.

I insist my financial guys talk to me in terms of annualized numbers. If they talk to me starting out with monthly numbers I can’t  follow what they’re talking about.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:19:01 PM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »

Right.

Bingo! I love this. Love talking to a fellow non-budgeter.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2021, 12:08:11 PM »
Budgeteers be like

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2021, 12:17:48 PM »
Can anyone explain the hate for budgeting? How do you track things in order to "save more" "spend less"?

is it just all about an overall lifestyle? Like calorie counter vs "clean" eaters?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2021, 12:20:29 PM »
Can anyone explain the hate for budgeting? How do you track things in order to "save more" "spend less"?

is it just all about an overall lifestyle? Like calorie counter vs "clean" eaters?

You examine every purchase you make for usefulness and value to your life. Most things in life are not worth trading life energy I.e. parts of a paycheck.

“budgeting” or my general idea of it “allows” one to spend $ on crap you don’t need or value, if the money is “in the budget.”

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:26:11 PM by iris lily »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »

Budgeting is more like macro counters. You are trying to get these specific categories just perfect, only with budgeting the difference accumulates, so if you need extra for the car this month, that category sits in the red for a few months until the budget catches up. So you could be undereating, but you had an ice cream bar, so the fat macro is still blinking red two days late, judging you, even though you have tons of room left over in the whole calorie budget.

Successful non budgeting is more like mindful eating. You assess your spending on a case by case basis for your overall utility and goals. You might have a lot of helpful habits in place, and anything outside of that is judged on its own merits.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2021, 12:27:04 PM »

I don't hate budgets, I view them like training wheels for toddlers. Your (financial) brain isn't fully developed yet, so you put guardrails in until you figure out how this thing works.

At some point it's time to move past it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2021, 12:27:46 PM »
Absolutely a good comparison is eating.

Are the calories worth it? Do I really NEED to eat, or is it just “time to eat! Must eat because it is time!”

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2021, 12:34:09 PM »

Budgeting is more like macro counters. You are trying to get these specific categories just perfect, only with budgeting the difference accumulates, so if you need extra for the car this month, that category sits in the red for a few months until the budget catches up. So you could be undereating, but you had an ice cream bar, so the fat macro is still blinking red two days late, judging you, even though you have tons of room left over in the whole calorie budget.

Successful non budgeting is more like mindful eating. You assess your spending on a case by case basis for your overall utility and goals. You might have a lot of helpful habits in place, and anything outside of that is judged on its own merits.

perfect thanks

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »
Apologies if I missed it, but what I didn’t see is IMO DR’s most egregious bit of bad advice: pay off all non-mortgage debt before saving for retirement. So let’s say you have a reasonable amount of debt at a reasonable interest rate. And let’s say this debt is on a term, not open ended like a credit card. Is it really worth paying off every last nickel of a low-interest car or student loan before contributing to your 401k, where you likely get...employer matching????  Like WTF?  Go ahead and pay that $10k on your Honda Civic which will expire at minimum payments in 2.5 years/1.9%, and do it at the expense of employer matching 6% of your 401k contributions.

I don’t care how bad you are financially, that’s shit advice. Invest to capture all of your employer 401k matching AND THEN pay off your debt. You can’t beat a 100% investment return.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2021, 01:36:24 PM »
Apologies if I missed it, but what I didn’t see is IMO DR’s most egregious bit of bad advice: pay off all non-mortgage debt before saving for retirement. So let’s say you have a reasonable amount of debt at a reasonable interest rate. And let’s say this debt is on a term, not open ended like a credit card. Is it really worth paying off every last nickel of a low-interest car or student loan before contributing to your 401k, where you likely get...employer matching????  Like WTF?  Go ahead and pay that $10k on your Honda Civic which will expire at minimum payments in 2.5 years/1.9%, and do it at the expense of employer matching 6% of your 401k contributions.

I don’t care how bad you are financially, that’s shit advice. Invest to capture all of your employer 401k matching AND THEN pay off your debt. You can’t beat a 100% investment return.

In the DR universe debt is evil and should always be eliminated, regardless of the type, term or rate. There is a moral judgement in holding debt strategically. I got in trouble on the DR forums years ago for stating that I had no intension of paying if a subsidized (0%) SL, even though I could.

ETA:  Dave also has some interesting views on employer/employee relationships as well. From stuff he has said he seems to view a company as an almost parental figure that ought to be followed and obeyed, and employers in turn as having an obligation to the growth of their employees as people, and not just as a fair-labor agreement.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:40:34 PM by nereo »

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »
Here is a well known financial author who also is skeptical about the for everyone to budget:

https://humbledollar.com/2018/09/budget-buster/

He also draws the parallels to dieting.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2021, 03:42:43 PM »

I don't think it's a hate for budgeting, it's a lack of use for it.

Also tracking and budgeting are not the same thing. Tracking just records and notes what you have spent. Budgeting plans what you intend to spend in the future.

Budgeting has its uses, it's just not the necessity that budget-evangelists make it out to be.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2021, 01:46:23 PM »

We have a budget of sorts but really just pay more attention to tracking our spending.

When we were really focused on getting out of debt and our income was lower we did use the envelope system to good effect. It helped to see the money building up in our household envelope each month for those larger intermittent purchases like a new appliance. Or knowing there was $100 in the clothing envelope meant my wife didn't feel guilty about buying a couple of pieces of clothing because we had already allocated money for it.

Now, we just keep tracking of our monthly spending for tracking purposes and rely on the fact that we're both relatively frugal by nature. We don't think too much about a $10-20 purchase. But we also don't have many extraneous expenses on things like clothing, restaurants, hobbies/toys.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2021, 07:55:07 PM »
I read the Total Money Makeover when I was young and entering the “real world.” I was a Dave Ramsey fan in the sense that it was motivating. I had read books about other types of money planning but they weren’t as detailed as Ramsey’s.

While reading, I always could see the gaps in some of his suggestions. Instead of using logic and math, some of his suggestions are more on “keeping you motivated.” Such as.. paying off small debts first, regardless of interest rates.

I found MMM around 7-8 years ago. I read every single blog post before I even noticed the forum existed.

MMM was more “extreme” but I liked his bluntness as that resounds better with me. I also liked his no-nonsense approach to investing which is logical and reasonably safe. There’s no get rich quick suggestions, and there’s a lot of advice about life, mindset, and happiness.

Just like Diet and Exercise, the best financial philosophy is the one that’s better than you’re currently doing, and the one you can stick to.

I’ve been big into fitness/diet my whole life, and have watched countless people around me try and fail. It almost always stems from them going from one extreme to the other, being unable to maintain it, then circling back to where they once were, or worse.. I strongly prefer MMM, but if DR is working great for someone (worked great for several people in my family who retired a few years before the normal age) then great for them.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2021, 04:56:14 AM »

We have a budget of sorts but really just pay more attention to tracking our spending.

When we were really focused on getting out of debt and our income was lower we did use the envelope system to good effect. It helped to see the money building up in our household envelope each month for those larger intermittent purchases like a new appliance. Or knowing there was $100 in the clothing envelope meant my wife didn't feel guilty about buying a couple of pieces of clothing because we had already allocated money for it.

Now, we just keep tracking of our monthly spending for tracking purposes and rely on the fact that we're both relatively frugal by nature. We don't think too much about a $10-20 purchase. But we also don't have many extraneous expenses on things like clothing, restaurants, hobbies/toys.

I think budgeting can be really helpful for many people, but most people on MMM are advanced mustachians and for most of us frugality is a second nature. And most of us have more than enough money to pay for our basic needs.

But learning to budget is a valuable skill for young people to learn. That exercise in school where you have to create a budget for a fictional family, for a lot of kids that's the first time they realize that income is limited and that if John and Mary want to spend €1200 on a summer holiday, they need to set away €100 every month, and that if they get takeout twice a month then they can't save up for a holiday.

That's not what the average mustachian's budget looks (and personally I don't budget either except for setting certain net-worth goals for EOY) but for the average person that's a big eye-opener. When I was a young adult and had just moved out of the house I budgeted religiously, because I simply only had about €1000/month to spend. And yes, sometimes it happened that I had €20 left over from my €100 food budget at the end of the month, and I would treat myself to some fancy foods. I don't see the issue with that unless you're in debt. Sometimes I wouldn't treat myself but add that money to the "trips" pot but I really don't see why it would be wrong to get a tub of Ben & Jerry's to celebrate instead.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2021, 12:43:10 PM »

I think budgeting can be really helpful for many people, but most people on MMM are advanced mustachians and for most of us frugality is a second nature. And most of us have more than enough money to pay for our basic needs.

But learning to budget is a valuable skill for young people to learn. That exercise in school where you have to create a budget for a fictional family, for a lot of kids that's the first time they realize that income is limited and that if John and Mary want to spend €1200 on a summer holiday, they need to set away €100 every month, and that if they get takeout twice a month then they can't save up for a holiday.

That's not what the average mustachian's budget looks (and personally I don't budget either except for setting certain net-worth goals for EOY) but for the average person that's a big eye-opener. When I was a young adult and had just moved out of the house I budgeted religiously, because I simply only had about €1000/month to spend. And yes, sometimes it happened that I had €20 left over from my €100 food budget at the end of the month, and I would treat myself to some fancy foods. I don't see the issue with that unless you're in debt. Sometimes I wouldn't treat myself but add that money to the "trips" pot but I really don't see why it would be wrong to get a tub of Ben & Jerry's to celebrate instead.

Theoretically,  in my non budgeting world, “treating yourself”  happens not because there is money left over but because it is important to treat yourself. But this “treating yourself” comes after much practice in determining if it really is a treat that has been greatly enjoyed or only a little bit enjoyed. Or, instead of the entire Ben and Jerry container, half of it equals the same level of enjoyment  as the full container.

Your example articulates what is wrong in my mind with budgeting and leftover funds.

Also, in addressing the “feeling guilty” thought above, spending according to your values does not have room for “guilt.” When you spend according to your values, you learn what is worth it and what isnt.
Buying clothes you don’t need or value because there is money leftover in the budget,
 Doesn’t teach long term spending values.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:47:15 PM by iris lily »

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2021, 07:27:57 PM »
Yeah, I've never felt guilty about spending. It's either worth it or it's not. Spending, like sex, is something you do if it feels right. There's no guilt attached.

I also don't budget because generally I feel that spending and earning shouldn't be tied together, so any budget that correlates spending and earning (e.g. "save 20% of your net income") is likely to be inefficient.

The only context in which I would tie together spending and earning is in exchanging money for time. For example I'm more likely to take a $10 uber if I earn $100/hour as opposed to $10/hour. But otherwise, just because your earnings go up or down doesn't make the value of an item more or less.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2021, 05:03:26 AM »
Yeah, I've never felt guilty about spending. It's either worth it or it's not. Spending, like sex, is something you do if it feels right. There's no guilt attached.

I also don't budget because generally I feel that spending and earning shouldn't be tied together, so any budget that correlates spending and earning (e.g. "save 20% of your net income") is likely to be inefficient.

The only context in which I would tie together spending and earning is in exchanging money for time. For example I'm more likely to take a $10 uber if I earn $100/hour as opposed to $10/hour. But otherwise, just because your earnings go up or down doesn't make the value of an item more or less.

I agree with most of what you’ve said, but the “exchanging money for time” bit to be devilishly misleading for most.  Typically its high(er) earners who use it as an excuse to outsource all sorts of tasks.  Problem with this logic is that people are rarely actually choosing to take that Uber so that they can work an extra 20 minutes longer (earning them the $XX/hr more in their calculation), and they ignore/discount the benefit of doing it themselves (in this case riding a bicycle, which has all sorts of downstream positive health effects).  That’s not to say that free time isn’t incredibly valuable, but simply the “paying for your time” too often isn’t the freedom it’s made out to be.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2021, 08:06:18 AM »

I agree with most of what you’ve said, but the “exchanging money for time” bit to be devilishly misleading for most.  Typically its high(er) earners who use it as an excuse to outsource all sorts of tasks.  Problem with this logic is that people are rarely actually choosing to take that Uber so that they can work an extra 20 minutes longer (earning them the $XX/hr more in their calculation), and they ignore/discount the benefit of doing it themselves (in this case riding a bicycle, which has all sorts of downstream positive health effects).  That’s not to say that free time isn’t incredibly valuable, but simply the “paying for your time” too often isn’t the freedom it’s made out to be.

I think it's less about buying the actual time and instead about buying more capacity to perform.

When I'm working full time, sure, I have time to cook and clean, but I can't cook, clean, and be raring to go on Monday morning with the level of killer motivation I need to maintain the super high octane level of performance I did at work.

It allowed me not to feel like work was work, because I was so refreshed and mellow going into it. Because of that intensity, I was able to produce at much higher levels than, for example, my colleagues who had kids and couldn't recharge nearly as much as I could in my down time. They couldn't summon the balls-to-the-wall hardcore focus that I could. So I billed upwards of 50-100% more than they did.

Same with DH, once I stopped working and took over more of his day to day chores, suddenly he got way more motivated in his work, launched a whole new project, and had no problem putting in longer hours when needed, because home time was so recharging and not taxing.

So it really depends on the individual, what their work is like, and what they're getting from the outsourcing. But yes, a simple equation of "I make so much more per hour so it makes no sense to do it myself" doesn't actually add up.

roomtempmayo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »
Dave Ramsey is the personal finance equivalent of a Jerry Springer Show run by a health and wealth gospel nondenominational preacher.  His personal finance advice is okay (as far as it goes), but the advice isn't the point.  The point is to cultivate a listener base gathered around the "guests" in self-righteous judgment that will then buy products from his company.

His schtick needs a larger health and wealth framing of society more broadly for its purchase.  Money isn't just money, it's a sign of virtue and likely favor from God.  The rich are the good people, the virtuous people, and likely the elect.  We can all then infer what the lack of money must mean.

The main advantage I see to MMM is that it's personal finance without all of the pseudo-Calvinist baggage.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2021, 02:44:58 AM »

Theoretically,  in my non budgeting world, “treating yourself”  happens not because there is money left over but because it is important to treat yourself. But this “treating yourself” comes after much practice in determining if it really is a treat that has been greatly enjoyed or only a little bit enjoyed. Or, instead of the entire Ben and Jerry container, half of it equals the same level of enjoyment  as the full container.

Your example articulates what is wrong in my mind with budgeting and leftover funds.

I'm sorry, but I really still don't understand. Yes, if you are wealthy, like I am today, "treating yourself" i.e. buying certain things that are not necessary for survival but do make life nicer, doesn't happen because there's money leftover in the budget but because it's an important thing to do. But that's a choice you can only make if you have plenty of money.

If you are on a very limited budget, as I was, then under normal circumstances, there's simply not enough room in the budget to pay for anything not necessary for survival. Treats are something you have to save up for.  When you have a bit of luck, like the supermarket giving away free bread right before closing time, you can save up a bit of money to spend on "treats" at the end of the month when you're sure you're not having any bad luck that month (like a lightbulb breaking) I still don't see what's wrong with saving up to pay for luxuries like a tub of icecream. Is it somehow morally wrong to enjoy luxury food every now and then? I don't think so. I didn't have debts to payoff either, and I already saved a small amount every month on the day I was paid. Of course, the whole tub of icecream doesn't have to be eaten in one go (I would only eat small portions to make sure I could enjoy it for many days) but one problem for poor people, is that food comes in containers that are not necessarily ideal in size. Icecream comes in large expensive tubs, which is why you need to save up to buy them, but small single servings cost almost the same as big tubs, so those are certainly not efficient to buy.

Of course, it's not mandatory to buy a treat. I'm sure there were months that I didn't spend my whole budget. And I didn't just buy unhealthy treats, I also love fruit so I'd often buy a whole pineapple or a few mangos. Another thing I would do with my 'saved up' money is buy bags of flour and sugar and baking soda, so I could make cheap pizza and bread and muffins. Homemade is a lot cheaper, tastier and healthier than storebought, but you need to invest in supplies first. Or I'd buy the large containers of spices at the grocery store that offer much more value for money than a small container but would cost a significant amount of my grocery budget for that week.

At that point I did budget per week (€100/month, €20/week so that's partially where the extra's came from) because I would go to the farmer's market and the grocery store every Saturday and that's what I could spend. Of course, now I have more than enough money, I don't have to think about money that way anymore. I simply buy what I need, in the quality that I prefer, from the local shops that I value. But that's an option that's only available to those not on a limited budget. The one thing I love most about having a higher income is not having to spend all of your mental energy calculating how much money there's left this month.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2021, 05:08:15 AM »

I'm sorry, but I really still don't understand. Yes, if you are wealthy, like I am today, "treating yourself" i.e. buying certain things that are not necessary for survival but do make life nicer, doesn't happen because there's money leftover in the budget but because it's an important thing to do. But that's a choice you can only make if you have plenty of money.

If you are on a very limited budget, as I was, then under normal circumstances, there's simply not enough room in the budget to pay for anything not necessary for survival. Treats are something you have to save up for.  When you have a bit of luck, like the supermarket giving away free bread right before closing time, you can save up a bit of money to spend on "treats" at the end of the month when you're sure you're not having any bad luck that month (like a lightbulb breaking) I still don't see what's wrong with saving up to pay for luxuries like a tub of icecream. Is it somehow morally wrong to enjoy luxury food every now and then? I don't think so. I didn't have debts to payoff either, and I already saved a small amount every month on the day I was paid. Of course, the whole tub of icecream doesn't have to be eaten in one go (I would only eat small portions to make sure I could enjoy it for many days) but one problem for poor people, is that food comes in containers that are not necessarily ideal in size. Icecream comes in large expensive tubs, which is why you need to save up to buy them, but small single servings cost almost the same as big tubs, so those are certainly not efficient to buy.

Of course, it's not mandatory to buy a treat. I'm sure there were months that I didn't spend my whole budget. And I didn't just buy unhealthy treats, I also love fruit so I'd often buy a whole pineapple or a few mangos. Another thing I would do with my 'saved up' money is buy bags of flour and sugar and baking soda, so I could make cheap pizza and bread and muffins. Homemade is a lot cheaper, tastier and healthier than storebought, but you need to invest in supplies first. Or I'd buy the large containers of spices at the grocery store that offer much more value for money than a small container but would cost a significant amount of my grocery budget for that week.

At that point I did budget per week (€100/month, €20/week so that's partially where the extra's came from) because I would go to the farmer's market and the grocery store every Saturday and that's what I could spend. Of course, now I have more than enough money, I don't have to think about money that way anymore. I simply buy what I need, in the quality that I prefer, from the local shops that I value. But that's an option that's only available to those not on a limited budget. The one thing I love most about having a higher income is not having to spend all of your mental energy calculating how much money there's left this month.

I never had a budget, even when I was extremely low income. I just focused on spending as little as possible.

That said, I went from being a student living on almost nothing to a 6 figure earning professional, so I was never a normal median-ish income earning trying to build a life on modest resources. I either couldn't afford anything or could afford any given thing I wanted. 

Were I living on something like a 40K income, I would probably budget