Author Topic: Which Income Class Are You  (Read 21635 times)

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
Re: Which Income Class Are You
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2022, 01:27:19 PM »
Income class is such a strange concept when viewed in isolation.

I'd love to see income class to net worth comparisons( both with and without home equity) for various segments of the population.

we are 40-44
Income at 97th
https://dqydj.com/household-income-percentile-calculator/

Net Worth at 87th with no home equity (for age group)
Net Worth at 88th with home Equity (for age group)
https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-calculator-united-states/

Net Worth at 84th with no home equity (not counting age)
Net worth at 85th with home equity (not counting age)
https://dqydj.com/net-worth-percentile-calculator-united-states/

Using the link above:
Average Net Worth (50th percentile) not counting home equity in the USA is $39k
A net worth of ~$1 million (not counting home equity) puts you in the top 9% of households

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »

Hey, port is delicious.  Every Canadian Anglican grew up with red port, it is our communion wine.

I didn't realize that.  We attended Anglican church in Australia but I thought they used red wine. 

Religion
L - dancing or laying on of hands during service
M - normal outfits, no dancing, possible guitar playing
U - lavish costumes worn by officiants, formal service, large pipe organ, possible boys choir

Nope, Anglican churches use port for communion wine because it tastes richer and more blood-of-god-like. Source: my dad who is an Anglican minister.

@Malcat given the context that last one probably isn’t referring to Catholicism but High Anglican, which also goes in for the Latin and the pipe organs and the choirs etc

Anglican/Episcopalian churches in America use port for communion wine because, once opened, the bottle last much longer. Source: me, an altar guild member.
Also a factor! You can buy it in bulk without fair the bottle will go rank.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2022, 07:36:36 PM »

Hey, port is delicious.  Every Canadian Anglican grew up with red port, it is our communion wine.

I didn't realize that.  We attended Anglican church in Australia but I thought they used red wine. 

Religion
U - lavish costumes worn by officiants, formal service, large pipe organ, possible boys choir

Nope, Anglican churches use port for communion wine because it tastes richer and more blood-of-god-like. Source: my dad who is an Anglican minister.

@Malcat given the context that last one probably isn’t referring to Catholicism but High Anglican, which also goes in for the Latin and the pipe organs and the choirs etc

Anglican/Episcopalian churches in America use port for communion wine because, once opened, the bottle last much longer. Source: me, an altar guild member.

I always thought the altar minions polished off the last of the wine immediately after the service, as a matter of duty.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2022, 07:40:51 PM »

Religion

I always thought the altar minions polished off the last of the wine immediately after the service, as a matter of duty.
Minister polishes off anything that is left in the communion cup because, well, it's been sanctified and you can't just leave the blood of Christ around for any old bozo. The port that hasn't been sanctified sits in the stash for next service, assuming that Father Ted and friends don't come for a visit, and needs to still be good.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2022, 08:48:36 AM »

I'd love to see income class to net worth comparisons( both with and without home equity) for various segments of the population.
Amongst the already FIREd crowd I'm sure it would be fairly common to see high net worth and a low income - even poverty level (taxable) income - who appear to live a middle class livestyle. Not sure how that work work when modelling an income class.

Right, a lot of countries' tax policies provide favorable treatment to income from capital so researchers have to make adjustments if using tax data to examine wealth.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2022, 09:19:27 AM »
Regarding the "new aristocracy"... it takes two distinct forms:

1. There are places, often rural or small-town, often in the South (but not exclusively), where you really don't want to cross certain people. It's a combination of wealth, highly local political power, and means of applying state-sanctioned violence that create something similar to medieval aristocracy. They are mostly fine with not being very culturally influential, as long as they maintain control of their fiefdoms.

2. There are also places, often but not always in the Northeast, where old money sees their political power somewhat diminished, and wealth overshadowed by new money - but their cultural pull is such that they still can see themselves as above others. This is more akin to the later stage aristocracy - even to their modern aristocratic counterparts in Europe.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »

Amongst the already FIREd crowd I'm sure it would be fairly common to see high net worth and a low income - even poverty level (taxable) income - who appear to live a middle class livestyle. Not sure how that work work when modelling an income class.

Right, a lot of countries' tax policies provide favorable treatment to income from capital so researchers have to make adjustments if using tax data to examine wealth.
I wonder how they would do that? Since (in the USA at least) income class is all about income rather than social activities or spending I guess the only way would be ask about total NW and total spending. If total NW is $2mm and total annual spending is $15k (to use an example from @CurledMoss in another thread) are you in a wealth class or a poverty class? Maybe FIREees need their own income class ;-).

They use other sources of data like the census or surveys and just rely on that alone or use it to produce an adjustment to a broader data set.

Income is independent from expenses. If total NW is $2mm, invested Mustachian style, that likely generates an average income, capital gains and dividends, of $160K/yr. Whether the owner realizes any capital gains/losses, takes distributions from retirement accounts, etc. is only an artifact of tax policy and doesn't reflect true income as it relates to wealth.

It's not just FIREees. Wealthy people who are also high spenders can maintain a very low taxable income. You just need to own the company and/or be the beneficiary of a trust, not earn income as a non-owner employee.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2022, 11:31:49 AM »

I wonder how they would do that? Since (in the USA at least) income class is all about income rather than social activities or spending I guess the only way would be ask about total NW and total spending. If total NW is $2mm and total annual spending is $15k (to use an example from @CurledMoss in another thread) are you in a wealth class or a poverty class? Maybe FIREees need their own income class ;-).

This is why I think net worth is much more relevant than just about anything else.  If Scrooge McDuck has zero income but a swimming pool full of gold coins, he can live as extravagantly (or not) as someone with an income of several million per year.  (Dear Uncle Scrooge is missing out on interest or other growth from all those doubloons and maravedis, of course.)  Now, if he only spends $20k, he's living roughly the same lifestyle as someone with less net worth, but even then I'd argue that his experience is different than someone with almost no net worth, making $20k and spending $20k, because that person has no security and no clear path out of that cycle.

Even looking at income tells you very little.  If someone makes $250y/yr but pays $200k just servicing debt, they are far worse off than someone debt-free and making $125k. 

So I'm not even sure why "income class" is a category for much of anything because I don't think it has much relevance. 

I don't think any snapshot category is going to accurately reflect all possibilities and differences, but to me net worth comes as close as possible, with just one simple metric, to giving you a picture of someone's situation.  Even if you take 2 people with a #3m net worth and have one that spends $20k and another who spends $500k, you still have a clear understand of what each of them *could* spend, and of the safety and longevity of their stockpile. 

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2022, 04:45:53 PM »
I'm not even sure why "income class" is a category for much of anything because I don't think it has much relevance. 

I don't think any snapshot category is going to accurately reflect all possibilities and differences, but to me net worth comes as close as possible, with just one simple metric, to giving you a picture of someone's situation.  Even if you take 2 people with a #3m net worth and have one that spends $20k and another who spends $500k, you still have a clear understand of what each of them *could* spend, and of the safety and longevity of their stockpile.

"Income class" doesn't have much relevance for people with high net worth, because in most cases their net worth determines the bulk of their spending capacity. It has a lot of relevance for people without high net worth, because in most cases income does determine their spending capacity.

Most people do not have high net worth. Therefore income is the most relevant category for the majority of the population.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2022, 04:44:27 AM »
I'm firmly middle class based on income from pension and VA disability. Not touching investments for now.

Considering my investments and looking at guaranteed pension income as an investment, I'm in the 87th percentile for wealth at my age (54).

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2022, 08:55:47 AM »
That calculator is sort of bunk.  We are 99.7% income and the best it could tell us was we're "upper".  Yeah, no shit.

Dang, that's what ... >1.6M ish?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2022, 09:10:14 AM »
Spending and activities are a good way to look at it.

Home
Lower Class - rent, own pre-fab home
Middle Class - own typical suburban home or urban condo
Upper Class - house and significant land with manicured gardens, gates, privacy wall

Wheels
L - American truck or SUV
M - Japanese or European SUV
U - Rolls Royce, Suburban

Wings
L - discount airlines, regional airlines
M - commercial airlines
U - private aircraft

Boats
L - airboat, fishing boat, water ski boat
M - canoe, kayak, sailboat
U - 50 ft plus motor yacht

Vacation
L - Vegas, Theme Parks
M - Canada, National Parks, Europe
U - Martha's Vineyard, Hamptons, Swiss Alps, St. Tropez

Staff
L - may actually be staff
M - bi-weekly maid service, lawn service
U - live-in maid, cook, au-pair and groundskeeper

Beverage
L - beer, ripple, box wine
M - modern wines, craft beer
U - aged Scotch, vintage French wine, port

Dining
L - fast food, diners
M - every public restaurant with sit-down service
U - private club, no prices shown

Leisure
L - bowling, off track betting,
M - golf, tennis, soccer, skiing domestically
U - polo, croquet, tennis, skiing in the Alps

So, basically, class = vibes. Because no other definition puts someone owning a $40K truck and a water ski boat in lower class.

Not saying it's not a popular view. This is what (partially) drives WWC resentment towards the "elites". "Look, I'm financially stable, I have my sh*t together, I hit every marker a responsible adult must hit, I may be better off than you - and you still look down on me".

Yeah this is a really weird list.  A new high spec F150 is shockingly close to $100k and ski boats can run double that.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2022, 11:43:37 AM »
I am expecting to bump up into the middle income classification for 2023.  So far that means an increase in out of pocket expenses due to falling off off of the benefits cliff with respect to food and health insurance subsidy and resisting the urge to spend all the additional money on projects.

The urge to spend is complicated by tax subsidies that want me to spend on electrification and offer 30% off.  It's like a 30% off sale.  I am not sure if I can resist because not paying tax seems like a whole other addition benefit, in addition to the sale price.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2022, 02:21:28 PM »
That calculator is sort of bunk.  We are 99.7% income and the best it could tell us was we're "upper".  Yeah, no shit.

Dang, that's what ... >1.6M ish?

More than that

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2022, 08:29:29 AM »
Oh boy. The only thing I’m going to add to this is that these things are not as “easy” or accessible to all people. The playing field is not level.

I don’t get the point. Is it for those on the fortunate side of the field to not try because it is not fair to win? Or for those on the unfortunate side to not try because they will not win? Hopefully neither, since both or bullshit. Everyone should strive to reach the level of success they desire, and be accountable for their choices along the way.

Not sure what is unclear. The playing field is not level. Saying that someone “only” needs to do xyz to achieve a particular success is ignoring that not everyone has access to the same resources. You don’t get to look down on those who aren’t at the same level of success and say they didn’t try hard enough, etc. being poor isn’t a moral failing and being middle or upper class isn’t a virtue.

Thank you for this.  Many of us worked damn hard, but there were other circumstances that prevented us from earning higher wages or being promoted.  It is the height of arrogance to suggest that higher wage earners just got there by working harder than others. 

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2022, 12:30:31 PM »
Oh boy. The only thing I’m going to add to this is that these things are not as “easy” or accessible to all people. The playing field is not level.

I don’t get the point. Is it for those on the fortunate side of the field to not try because it is not fair to win? Or for those on the unfortunate side to not try because they will not win? Hopefully neither, since both or bullshit. Everyone should strive to reach the level of success they desire, and be accountable for their choices along the way.

Not sure what is unclear. The playing field is not level. Saying that someone “only” needs to do xyz to achieve a particular success is ignoring that not everyone has access to the same resources. You don’t get to look down on those who aren’t at the same level of success and say they didn’t try hard enough, etc. being poor isn’t a moral failing and being middle or upper class isn’t a virtue.

Thank you for this.  Many of us worked damn hard, but there were other circumstances that prevented us from earning higher wages or being promoted.  It is the height of arrogance to suggest that higher wage earners just got there by working harder than others.

I've actually been thinking retrospecitively about my career for several months now, about the exceptionally hard work, long hours, and talent I brought to the table at several companies where it was not rewarded hardly at all. In some cases I did find out at some point I was paid a lot less than coworkers while actually doing more. I did move around but it was the same shit show everywhere, and it was an employers market and getting new jobs was not easy.

I did eventually move up and make ok money, but I was already into my 50's, so just a few years to tie up my financial loose ends and save as much as I can as I ready for FIRE (or just maybe FIR depending on the market over the next year -2 - 3, and when I pull the plug. Will be sad if I'm still working at 60!).

I'm actually witnessing something at work right now that is infuriating. There are two young men that I have worked with, and have been their direct and indirect supervisor at various times over the past few years.

One is talented, creative, and hard working, and the other is lazy and sloppy, only performing when senior leadership is watching, and constantly pushing for more money and promotions.

So lazy and pushy is climbing up and hard working and talented is not. Lazy went out of my chain of command, although when he was getting that first promotion I did mention to the supervisor hiring him on that he needs some direction and oversight, I was diplomatic as that decision was already made and I certainly didn't want to poison the well, and who knew - maybe he'd step up once in a position he wanted or was more suitabel for? I'm not in the loop but seems he is working at the same, but puts it on whenever senior leadership is around.

But meanwhile, I've been pushing for the talented guy, but it took me 2 years to get him one promotion while lazy had gotten 2 within that time. I am working closely with talented's manager to lay the groundwork for another promotion, but it is going to hard work for us.

You have to ask why? I'd put it down to arrogance and confidence. Not talent and hardwork. I'm sure pushy will go far in life without ever working hard or bringing in fresh ideas.

I'm trying to make sure talented goes as far as I can push through. But so much is out of my hands, and so much unrelated to doing good work.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2022, 02:43:38 PM »

I've actually been thinking retrospecitively about my career for several months now, about the exceptionally hard work, long hours, and talent I brought to the table at several companies where it was not rewarded hardly at all. In some cases I did find out at some point I was paid a lot less than coworkers while actually doing more. I did move around but it was the same shit show everywhere, and it was an employers market and getting new jobs was not easy.

I did eventually move up and make ok money, but I was already into my 50's, so just a few years to tie up my financial loose ends and save as much as I can as I ready for FIRE (or just maybe FIR depending on the market over the next year -2 - 3, and when I pull the plug. Will be sad if I'm still working at 60!).

I'm actually witnessing something at work right now that is infuriating. There are two young men that I have worked with, and have been their direct and indirect supervisor at various times over the past few years.

One is talented, creative, and hard working, and the other is lazy and sloppy, only performing when senior leadership is watching, and constantly pushing for more money and promotions.

So lazy and pushy is climbing up and hard working and talented is not. Lazy went out of my chain of command, although when he was getting that first promotion I did mention to the supervisor hiring him on that he needs some direction and oversight, I was diplomatic as that decision was already made and I certainly didn't want to poison the well, and who knew - maybe he'd step up once in a position he wanted or was more suitabel for? I'm not in the loop but seems he is working at the same, but puts it on whenever senior leadership is around.

But meanwhile, I've been pushing for the talented guy, but it took me 2 years to get him one promotion while lazy had gotten 2 within that time. I am working closely with talented's manager to lay the groundwork for another promotion, but it is going to hard work for us.

You have to ask why? I'd put it down to arrogance and confidence. Not talent and hardwork. I'm sure pushy will go far in life without ever working hard or bringing in fresh ideas.

I'm trying to make sure talented goes as far as I can push through. But so much is out of my hands, and so much unrelated to doing good work.

You have to play the game right. Lazy works harder at what matters to get ahead than talented. Puting an hour of thought and having insight during a large meeting pays 10x the rate of 1hr of good hard technical work. If you want to make more money, figure out how to be a force multiplier and get others to do the work. @coppertop is exactly right. High earners didn't necessarily work harder. They worked smarter and probably had a bit of luck to get where they are. It sucks, but producing work product is the bottom rung of an organization and pay hierarchy.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2022, 08:36:25 PM »

You have to play the game right. Lazy works harder at what matters to get ahead than talented. Puting an hour of thought and having insight during a large meeting pays 10x the rate of 1hr of good hard technical work. If you want to make more money, figure out how to be a force multiplier and get others to do the work. @coppertop is exactly right. High earners didn't necessarily work harder. They worked smarter and probably had a bit of luck to get where they are. It sucks, but producing work product is the bottom rung of an organization and pay hierarchy.

I certainly agree, and if lazy was shopping his own ideas in front of senior leadership, that would be great. But - it is usually someone else's.

Kind of reminds me of the old movie all about eve.

roomtempmayo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2022, 02:00:05 PM »
So, basically, class = vibes. Because no other definition puts someone owning a $40K truck and a water ski boat in lower class.

Not saying it's not a popular view. This is what (partially) drives WWC resentment towards the "elites". "Look, I'm financially stable, I have my sh*t together, I hit every marker a responsible adult must hit, I may be better off than you - and you still look down on me".

Well...yeah...

That's why I keep making reference to the old school aristocratic values having been adopted by the meritocrats and how problematic that is, especially since most don't even know that that's where they come from.

Old school aristocratic superiority is still alive and well, it's just dressed up in a seemingly palatable meritocratic bow.

My wife sometimes says the neighborhood she grew up with was “construction money,” i.e. new money, no taste.

Class isn’t a matter of money. It’s how you make your money, and what you do with your time and money.

The WWC understands perfectly well what class is and how it works, they just don’t like it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2022, 02:18:49 PM »

Well...yeah...

That's why I keep making reference to the old school aristocratic values having been adopted by the meritocrats and how problematic that is, especially since most don't even know that that's where they come from.

Old school aristocratic superiority is still alive and well, it's just dressed up in a seemingly palatable meritocratic bow.

My wife sometimes says the neighborhood she grew up with was “construction money,” i.e. new money, no taste.

Class isn’t a matter of money. It’s how you make your money, and what you do with your time and money.

The WWC understands perfectly well what class is and how it works, they just don’t like it.

My experience of living amongst people of various backgrounds and various levels of wealth ranging from working with homeless people to socializing with billionaires is that everyone seems to think they "know" what dictates "class" but almost no one is actually in agreement about it.

roomtempmayo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2022, 02:42:00 PM »

Well...yeah...

My experience of living amongst people of various backgrounds and various levels of wealth ranging from working with homeless people to socializing with billionaires is that everyone seems to think they "know" what dictates "class" but almost no one is actually in agreement about it.

It’s not exactly a conversation I regularly have with strangers, so I’m going to need to defer to your crossectional assessment.

However, at least in the US, I suspect if you offered people a set of occupations and hobbies and asked them to code them by class you’d get a fair bit of agreement. If you asked a group whether it’s higher class to make a million dollars as a surgeon or as the owner of a corner liquor store, I doubt many are going to say it’s the liquor store owner who’s higher class.

The past 6-8 years of American politics have gone a long way to cement class perceptions and boundaries in American minds.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2022, 07:24:50 AM »

Well...yeah...

It’s not exactly a conversation I regularly have with strangers, so I’m going to need to defer to your crossectional assessment.

However, at least in the US, I suspect if you offered people a set of occupations and hobbies and asked them to code them by class you’d get a fair bit of agreement. If you asked a group whether it’s higher class to make a million dollars as a surgeon or as the owner of a corner liquor store, I doubt many are going to say it’s the liquor store owner who’s higher class.

The past 6-8 years of American politics have gone a long way to cement class perceptions and boundaries in American minds.

In broad strokes, sure, there are broad class themes, but they break down pretty quickly under closer examination and actual lived experience.

And literally everything to do with "new money" and "old money" class nonsense dates back to the aristocrats.

Which is HILARIOUS since the famous "old money" families in the US today were ALL white trash new money back in the day.

And once you see inside the world of the ultra wealthy "upper class" you see that virtually all concepts of "class" are nonsense circular logic anchored to nothing real.

No matter how much you have, no matter who your family is, no matter what cultural signifiers you engage in, someone will always find a way to define you as "not actually high class" for some reason or another.

And the things that most Americans would agree upon are the old aristocratic class signifiers, which are based on a system that literally doesn't exist anymore, and are therefore meaningless and on exact contradiction of many of our celebrated class features today.

The old status signifiers were all about demonstrating a *lack* of industriousness. Aristocrats specially engaged extensively in activities that signaled that they weren't spending their time making money. Hence why certain leisure activities are seen as "high class."

But they were the ones with the money, and now that earning money is also status, the markers of class and wealth go in direct conflict with one another.

Is someone high class because they are brilliant and made a ton of money being brilliant and getting heavily into philanthropy? Is someone high class because they are the descendant of generational wealth, have never had a job in their life, spend all of their time playing rich-kid sports, and are best known for never being prosecuted for all of the servants they rape?

Trust me, every rich person I know thinks that most of the other rich people are total trash. There's only generally agreement about what constitutes class by people who see themselves as beneath that class or above it. Within each class range, there's shocking levels of disagreement about class. Hence why everyone in the broad "middle class" has the same level of disagreement.

It's all a bunch of self-conflicting, fucked up nonsense that completely crumbles under any critical examination.