Author Topic: Where to check credit? (I should know this!)  (Read 1595 times)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Where to check credit? (I should know this!)
« on: July 10, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this as it seems like something I, as a fairly financially savvy person, should know.  But I haven't checked my (or DH's) credit report in at least a decade.  We will be moving soon-ish and likely renting and it suddenly occurred to me that I should probably check everything out to make sure it is accurate.  There are eleventy million results to a google search but determining which one(s?) is legit is tough and since I will have to provide a lot of identifying info, I want to be sure I use a reliable source.

So...?

CindyBS

• Bristles
Re: Where to check credit? (I should know this!)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:03:32 PM »
annualcreditreport.com is the site to go to to get your free credit report once per year.  Each bureau is required to give you 1 free report per person, but they are not required to give you your credit score and they do try to upsell you on that. 

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:09:02 PM »
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this as it seems like something I, as a fairly financially savvy person, should know.  But I haven't checked my (or DH's) credit report in at least a decade.  We will be moving soon-ish and likely renting and it suddenly occurred to me that I should probably check everything out to make sure it is accurate.  There are eleventy million results to a google search but determining which one(s?) is legit is tough and since I will have to provide a lot of identifying info, I want to be sure I use a reliable source.

So...?

Creditkarma.com is legit and gives you a free full credit report from 2/3 bureaus including a (non fico) score. It's a good free way to keep tabs on what's on your credit, but not from the bureau that won't play ball.

The agorementioned annualcreditreport.com is the best place to get 3/3.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 10:10:17 PM »
Remember, too, you can ask for the report your landlord receives (if he requires one).

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:24:38 PM »
Also, since you're entitled to one free credit report on annualcreditreport.com each year from each reporting company, it behooves you to get one every four months from one of the three reporting companies, so as to keep a rolling tab on your credit, i.e., rather than order all three at once and have to wait a year.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
Also, since you're entitled to one free credit report on annualcreditreport.com each year from each reporting company, it behooves you to get one every four months from one of the three reporting companies, so as to keep a rolling tab on your credit, i.e., rather than order all three at once and have to wait a year.

Or just get free reports every month from creditkarma.com (or similar) from 2/3, which should provide you all you need to keep on top of any real issue (e.g. identify theft/unauthorized accounts, collections, judgements, inaccurate info, etc.). It's a lot easier =)

jimmyshutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »
I just did the free yearly credit checks recently and none of the three gave me an actual score. They listed all my credit accounts and history payments blah, blah, blah, but to get an actual score they said I would have to pay for it.

My Chase credit card has a site that links me to a free credit check analyzer and also provides me with a FICO score. It updates every month and I can access as often as I want for free. I would guess Chase isn't the only card that provides this?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:58:09 PM by jimmyshutter »

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »
It's pretty common now. BoA does this. Discover does it. Chase does it. Amex does it.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »
It's pretty common now. BoA does this. Discover does it. Chase does it. Amex does it.

Amex does the free score?  I guess I need to log on to my Amex account and look around.  Thanks!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 05:46:32 AM »

Capital One does it.

Villanelle - if you haven't checked in ten years it would be a good idea to start off with all three credit bureau reports, just to have fully updated information. It's online all in one spot under annualcreditreport.com and it is free.
They do not have identical information which is why you want all three and if there are any errors you would still have time to get it corrected before you apply for an important, big loan.

I find I rather like getting my free FICO score from my bank, because they do alert you when there is a change. I'd know immediately if someone opened an account in my name for instance - so it is actually a security measure as well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!