Author Topic: Whatever happened to....  (Read 49765 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Whatever happened to....
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2022, 07:38:20 PM »
Tyler Darden cancelled on MMM forums 9/12/2021.

Possibly the last person to regularly question the mainstream here.
You must not go to Investor Alley much. There, people say all sorts of things that the wider FIRE movement would consider heterodox, but they generally manage to do it without making concentration camp references or being inflammatory, and they generally don't get banned as a result. I wonder if there's a lesson in that...

I’m not sure I understand the sentiment you are trying to make @iris lily - certainly the forum “center” has moved far more towards the typical American middle class (complete with high spending on new luxury items), but overall I’d say the breadth of the community is much greater than it was a few years ago, with more women, more international and a broader range of budgets and occupations. I’m seeing a broader range on the political spectrum compared with five years ago. Seems there’s way more posters over 50 too

This isn’t to say this is some pinnacle of diversity, it’s still not, but I feel we are seeing way broader opinions and backgrounds than in the early years. Maybe you mean something different though…!
If anything, I take it to mean that our way of life is possibly becoming slightly more mainstream. I have been a frugal weirdo all of my life. I found my tribe here and I take comfort in that. If it gets slightly more mainstream as time goes on, I'm fine with that, too. I also sorta dig the colorblindness, and relative gender/sexual orientation blindness that seems to exist here. People are free to reveal as little or as much of themselves as they are comfortable with as we all speak, or learn to speak, the language of money, with a nice dollop of environmentalism on the side.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #201 on: October 24, 2022, 07:41:20 PM »

You must not go to Investor Alley much. There, people say all sorts of things that the wider FIRE movement would consider heterodox, but they generally manage to do it without making concentration camp references or being inflammatory, and they generally don't get banned as a result. I wonder if there's a lesson in that...

I’m not sure I understand the sentiment you are trying to make @iris lily - certainly the forum “center” has moved far more towards the typical American middle class (complete with high spending on new luxury items), but overall I’d say the breadth of the community is much greater than it was a few years ago, with more women, more international and a broader range of budgets and occupations. I’m seeing a broader range on the political spectrum compared with five years ago. Seems there’s way more posters over 50 too

This isn’t to say this is some pinnacle of diversity, it’s still not, but I feel we are seeing way broader opinions and backgrounds than in the early years. Maybe you mean something different though…!

I mean political diversity. Very little of it here. And becoming less daily.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I don't talk about politics much here, and avoid the more inflammatory, partisan threads. I suspect this is true of many forumites.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2022, 10:55:43 PM »

I mean political diversity. Very little of it here. And becoming less daily.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I don't talk about politics much here, and avoid the more inflammatory, partisan threads. I suspect this is true of many forumites.

Political diversity - not much point discussing it except in Off Topic, since political diversity is really a non-sense term.   What country's political diversity?  The US?  Canada?  Australia?  New Zealand?  The various European countries?  The many other countries represented on the forums?

One of the nice things about the MMM forums is that they really are international.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!