Author Topic: Whatever happened to....  (Read 49742 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Whatever happened to....
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2021, 06:32:49 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe Mr Orange holds the notorious distinction of being the only member to have his own journal partially deleted by the Mods. Normally that’s an area where one is granted a ton of leeway.

Challenge accepted.

You have your own unique, infamous status on these boards… :-P

(Glad to have you back, just don’t screw it up)

I've calmed down quite a bit life's too short. Bigger problems to solve in the finance world than my old hot button

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe Mr Orange holds the notorious distinction of being the only member to have his own journal partially deleted by the Mods. Normally that’s an area where one is granted a ton of leeway.

Challenge accepted.

DittoDittoDitto

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2021, 04:04:07 AM »

Challenge accepted.

DittoDittoDitto

Getting the popcorn ready.  Glad you're back.

dadbod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2021, 07:20:47 AM »
I always liked reading readysetmillionaire's posts - the financial ones not the current events ones.  That guy always had 10 irons in the fire.  Hope he is doing okay.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2021, 07:46:56 AM »
Another one I think is still around but not posting often is @Nords. I am not military, but he was full of good ideas for civilians as well.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2021, 11:16:41 AM »
Another one I think is still around but not posting often is @Nords. I am not military, but he was full of good ideas for civilians as well.
Thanks for the tag, @Dicey!

I check this forum every week for the "military" keyword, and people here are still tagging me or sending PMs.  Instead of a journal here I post to Facebook.  This year it's mostly photos of my granddaughter being cute.

These days I spent the majority of my forum time in Facebook groups for military family personal finance.*  I'm also experimenting with paid memberships on BiggerPockets Pro and ESIMoney's Millionaire Money Mentor forums.  I'm not suggesting that anyone should pay for a forum, but those are occupying a significant portion of my online time.

We're also recently returned from six weeks on the Mainland with our toddler granddaughter.  We're going back in August to help her (and our daughter and son-in-law) transfer to San Diego for SIL's sea duty and our daughter's final year in the Reserves.  In mid-September I'm going to Austin for FinCon21**, and I'll also be at CampFI Joshua Tree on 8-11 October.

Otherwise I spend most of my days on writing, recording (audiobooks & blog posts), reading, home improvement, yardwork, and surfing.  (Not necessarily in that order.)  Life is good.

* I'm not suggesting anyone here would want to join these FB groups, but they're where I'm spending my time. 
If you're military or a vet then you might want to look at these FB groups:
ChooseFI US Military
Personal Finance For U.S. Military Service Members and Families
Military FIRE
Hawaii Military Life
Hawaii Military Retired Veterans Life
"The Men's Room" for Male Military Spouses  (If you're a male military spouse then you really need to join this.)
Military Money Questions And Answers
Military In Transition
Military Retirement Information for Spouses & Servicemembers
Military Money Matters.

For everyone (not just military) there's also:
ChooseFI Honolulu
ChooseFI Families With Kids
"GoWithLess - Nomadic Life, Early Retirement, Travel Hacking, House Sitting."

** This year FinCon21 is online as well as in person.  I'll be there in person (vaccinated) and moderating a panel discussion on slow travel.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »

Challenge accepted.

I've calmed down quite a bit life's too short. Bigger problems to solve in the finance world than my old hot button

So should I pay off my mortgage @boarder42 ? j/k
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:27:30 AM by elysianfields »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2021, 12:08:21 PM »

Challenge accepted.

So should I pay off my mortgage @boarder42 ?

i think this community is well aware of my answer to that

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2021, 01:00:34 PM »

Challenge accepted.

Good job not rising to the potential bait.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2021, 08:16:48 PM »

Challenge accepted.

What do you mean by "potential" bait?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2021, 08:42:59 PM »
I haven't seen John Gault Incarnate's unmistakable writing style for awhile.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2021, 04:17:28 AM »

Challenge accepted.

B42 is not to engage in discussions about not paying down the mortgage, as part of his “parole”
:-)

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2021, 04:20:05 AM »

Challenge accepted.

B42 is not to engage in discussions about not paying down the mortgage, as part of his “parole”
:-)

I kiiiiiiiiid, I kiiiiiiiid!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2021, 05:44:52 AM »

Challenge accepted.

That you maybe were just joking, and not stirring the pot trying to get a reaction from B42.  AKA - benefit of the doubt regarding your intentions.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2021, 05:54:19 AM »
Imo, either way, was kinda a shitty thing to do even with good intentions.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2021, 05:55:38 AM »
I didn't realize that not talking about mortgages was part of @boarder42 's parole, and my repartee was solely meant facetiously.  Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2021, 06:10:25 AM »
I didn't realize that not talking about mortgages was part of @boarder42 's parole, and my repartee was solely meant facetiously.  Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way.

That’s the problem with just text - and sometimes emojis / emoticons or other things help a bit (like /jk = joke, /s = sarcasm (I think….)).

I didn’t know there was such a thing as “parole”, or if Nero was joking.  Oh, the ambiguity of it all.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2022, 10:00:05 AM »
I'm curious what happened to FIRE_at_45 - he used to be pretty prolific, then one day just vanished.
Yeah, I really miss him, too. Paging @Chaplin.

We chat regularly, along with RC and Stasher. We got together a several times last summer and fall, and have plans for this summer as well. I'll ask him if he'd like to write something for me to post on his behalf in this thread.

He said to say that he's enjoying time away from the forum and may return some day.
I hope you told him he is missed!

He is also one of my favorites.  How I wish I had copied some of his vegan recipes down.  I didn't even know you could wipe out all your posts until he left.

I was just looking for his journal because I seem to recall that he had great tips and plans about making friends. Anyone remember how he went about it all?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2022, 10:35:54 AM »
I'm curious what happened to FIRE_at_45 - he used to be pretty prolific, then one day just vanished.
Yeah, I really miss him, too. Paging @Chaplin.

We chat regularly, along with RC and Stasher. We got together a several times last summer and fall, and have plans for this summer as well. I'll ask him if he'd like to write something for me to post on his behalf in this thread.

He said to say that he's enjoying time away from the forum and may return some day.
I hope you told him he is missed!

He is also one of my favorites.  How I wish I had copied some of his vegan recipes down.  I didn't even know you could wipe out all your posts until he left.

I was just looking for his journal because I seem to recall that he had great tips and plans about making friends. Anyone remember how he went about it all?
Oooh, it's @lifejoy! Squee! [Dicey waves enthusiastically]

@Malcat has some solid gold stuff about creating friendships. Also, the first page of her journal is packed with amazing, mostly vegan  recipes.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:39:37 AM by Dicey »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2022, 02:24:14 PM »
“Whatever happened to… JenniferW”?

Very occasional poster, then for about six months this year she started more threads and posted more than almost anyone else.  Now complete silence for the last several weeks…

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2022, 02:55:18 PM »
I think that the forum can be quite stressful for JenniferW, where communication styles clash quite strongly at times. I think I remember reading a post or two from her stating that she might stop posting/reading for a while, so that may be the case.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2022, 03:15:08 PM »

Very occasional poster, then for about six months this year she started more threads and posted more than almost anyone else.  Now complete silence for the last several weeks…

I think she stopped posting shortly after the altercation(s) with boarder42.

I refrained from participating in her threads because they seemed to be fuelled mostly by anxiety and she seemed to be using the forum like Facebook (1 new thread per new thought). However, she didn't deserve the bullying she got from boarder.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2022, 04:19:52 PM »

I think she stopped posting shortly after the altercation(s) with boarder42.

I refrained from participating in her threads because they seemed to be fuelled mostly by anxiety and she seemed to be using the forum like Facebook (1 new thread per new thought). However, she didn't deserve the bullying she got from boarder.

Well, since someone else said it first.

Yeah, that was a big piece of it. I'm one of the people who was online and saw the back and forth as it was occurring. Both of them share blame, and frankly I think both should have been temp or perm banned. Boarder because he was being nasty, Jennifer because she was allowing herself to be baited and being equally nasty in return. I pm'ed her to check on her, and based on her response to me I chose to disengage going forward.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2022, 05:06:36 PM »

This must have all happened during the months while I was away...

Hey wait a second. She posted prolifically for several months while I was away?

Are we certain that she and I aren't the same poster? I mean, has anyone actually seen the two of us post at the same time???

I smell a conspiracy.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2022, 05:09:28 PM »

Are we certain that she and I aren't the same poster? I mean, has anyone actually seen the two of us post at the same time???

I smell a conspiracy.

IF you are the same poster, then you are the motherload of polar personalities.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2022, 05:10:44 PM »

I smell a conspiracy.

IF you are the same poster, then you are the motherload of polar personalities.

Or maybe I just really like to fuck with people??

I mean, how better to throw everyone off the scent than to be opposite of my normal self and pick a fight with one of my most beloved forum members?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2022, 05:22:56 PM »

Well that’s a given…

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2022, 05:51:03 PM »

Well that’s a given…

I have this magnet on my fridge, courtesy of my own mother.

https://bjustfabulous.com/products/now-whose-mind-shall-i-fuck-with-today-magnet

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2022, 07:51:59 PM »

Well that’s a given…

I have this magnet on my fridge, courtesy of my own mother.

https://bjustfabulous.com/products/now-whose-mind-shall-i-fuck-with-today-magnet

Well, who knows you better than your own mother?       ;-)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2022, 09:20:58 PM »
@UnleashHell is one I really miss! Well, besides @BigMoneyJim who will no longer post because he is no longer with us. RIP Jim! YOLO and FIRE….

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2022, 09:26:29 PM »
But @UnleashHell 's been posting lately!

I never interacted much with BigMoneyJim, so I was surprised by how sad I felt when I learned he passed away. Rest in peace.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2022, 10:16:01 PM »
Eh? Did I miss something about BigMoneyJim?

Edit: Ah, from his journal. :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:19:14 PM by bacchi »

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2022, 07:02:00 PM »
I wonder what happened to RetiredToWin. He had his own blog at Retiredtowin.com that I enjoyed. He abruptly stopped posting in 2015. :(

Edit: @RetiredToWin
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:50:14 PM by Night Elf »

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2022, 09:18:31 PM »
Seems like once people retire, they start scribbling a journal or graduate to Bogleheads to count their millions.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2022, 04:01:30 AM »
Seems like once people retire, they start scribbling a journal or graduate to Bogleheads to count their millions.

Some certainly do.  There’s also a lengthy list of posters who’ve FIREd and are still active members on this forum and still post more than once per day on average.  Of our top ~25 most prolific posters, I count more than half as being retired for at least a couple of years.  Then there’s a large group that find they’ve learned what they can from both this forum and from Bogleheads and spending time on these forums no longer holds their interest.  Sol and Forummm have both basically said as much, but I’m guessing this is a large group as well.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2022, 09:50:47 AM »

Some certainly do.  There’s also a lengthy list of posters who’ve FIREd and are still active members on this forum and still post more than once per day on average.  Of our top ~25 most prolific posters, I count more than half as being retired for at least a couple of years.  Then there’s a large group that find they’ve learned what they can from both this forum and from Bogleheads and spending time on these forums no longer holds their interest.  Sol and Forummm have both basically said as much, but I’m guessing this is a large group as well.

Facts. Y'all are only stuck with me because I'm disabled and hanging out here is often my best option for something interesting to do because I can only study and research so much, and tv isn't interesting enough to hold my full attention.

If I was able bodied, I wouldn't be here chatting in retirement, I would probably be exploring the arctic or teaching orphans at my friend's school in Ghana.

Instead, you're all stuck with me and my long-winded bullshit. Lol

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2022, 12:35:14 PM »
Some people are here to learn how this FIRE thing works. They figure it out and get on with their badass lives.

Some people feel this site isn't warm and fuzzy enough/ too high income oriented/ whatever and find a place they like better.

Some people know they don't fit the profile, but want to lift the lantern to light the way for others.

I stay because I like it here.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2022, 02:00:02 PM »
It seems like the forum traffic peaks mon-fri then dips on the weekends. It wouldn't surprise me if many people are just posting here because they're bored at work, lol. When they retire there are more interesting things to occupy their time. This is why I'm typically here. Work is boring, there are only so many books I can read, and I generally don't like tv unless it's a documentary or some sort of non-fiction channel.

Also the conversations here are far more intellectually stimulating than facebook.

I just wish there were places in real life where adults can go for the purpose of meeting and talking with complete strangers. Like a book store with a sign that says 'anyone who enters here may be approached by complete strangers for conversational purposes' lol. I much prefer real life conversation.

The local meetup groups and bars are about as close to this as I have found...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2022, 02:37:07 PM »
I too have noticed a long trend of lower activity on weekends.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: October 23, 2022, 11:23:16 PM »
It seems like the forum traffic peaks mon-fri then dips on the weekends. It wouldn't surprise me if many people are just posting here because they're bored at work, lol. When they retire there are more interesting things to occupy their time. This is why I'm typically here. Work is boring, there are only so many books I can read, and I generally don't like tv unless it's a documentary or some sort of non-fiction channel.

Also the conversations here are far more intellectually stimulating than facebook.

I just wish there were places in real life where adults can go for the purpose of meeting and talking with complete strangers. Like a book store with a sign that says 'anyone who enters here may be approached by complete strangers for conversational purposes' lol. I much prefer real life conversation.

The local meetup groups and bars are about as close to this as I have found...
This is part of why the Moab Meetups are so spectacular. I'll bet the rest of them are great too, but Moab is my only frame of reference. Just got home, still floating on clouds.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2022, 11:35:43 AM »
Some people are here to learn how this FIRE thing works. They figure it out and get on with their badass lives.

Some people feel this site isn't warm and fuzzy enough/ too high income oriented/ whatever and find a place they like better.

Some people know they don't fit the profile, but want to lift the lantern to light the way for others.

I stay because I like it here.
Lifting my little lantern here ;-). Especially for the lower income, lower spending but not quite ERE hardcore peeps that still want to FI and RE fairly young. But really, just have lots of free time so checking in occasionally and responding to a couple of posts is very non-time consuming. I do it on my phone (no computer or laptop) so can do it anywhere - like from the beach or the park or my bed on a Monday morning while I see everyone else go off to work ;-). Oh yeah, do it for the gloat-factor too lol.
Sparty, you're one of my favorite "peeps"!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »

Facts. Y'all are only stuck with me because I'm disabled and hanging out here is often my best option for something interesting to do because I can only study and research so much, and tv isn't interesting enough to hold my full attention.

If I was able bodied, I wouldn't be here chatting in retirement, I would probably be exploring the arctic or teaching orphans at my friend's school in Ghana.

Having online friends is a good thing. Granted we are usually lesser friends than IRL friends, but still, online can provide satisfying human interaction.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2022, 12:00:24 PM »

Having online friends is a good thing. Granted we are usually lesser friends than IRL friends, but still, online can provide satisfying human interaction.

For sure, and I've pulled a lot of my friendships here offline.

I'm not devaluing being part of an online community, I'm just stating that if I were able bodied, I wouldn't be socializing much online. This is not at all my preferred way to socialize, but I'm very happy it exists.

I'm basically a hardcore outdoor adventure person who isn't actually allowed to be one.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2022, 01:14:38 PM »
Tyler Darden cancelled on MMM forums 9/12/2021.

Possibly the last person to regularly question the mainstream here. Most others with alternative views have left, and that’s fine because that was their choice. But Tyler was summarily banned.

Sorry, you can’t convince me the ban was for anything other than ideological differences. His were politely expressed.

R.I.P Tyler.

And while I’m at it, the strange  banning of a poster who kept his thoughts all within his journal here,a place where no one had to go, was…W.T.F.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2022, 03:14:25 PM »

Possibly the last person to regularly question the mainstream here.
You must not go to Investor Alley much. There, people say all sorts of things that the wider FIRE movement would consider heterodox, but they generally manage to do it without making concentration camp references or being inflammatory, and they generally don't get banned as a result. I wonder if there's a lesson in that...

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2022, 03:43:32 PM »

You must not go to Investor Alley much. There, people say all sorts of things that the wider FIRE movement would consider heterodox, but they generally manage to do it without making concentration camp references or being inflammatory, and they generally don't get banned as a result. I wonder if there's a lesson in that...

I guess I will have to check out Investor Alley because you are right, I do not go there.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2022, 03:53:33 PM »

I’m not sure I understand the sentiment you are trying to make @iris lily - certainly the forum “center” has moved far more towards the typical American middle class (complete with high spending on new luxury items), but overall I’d say the breadth of the community is much greater than it was a few years ago, with more women, more international and a broader range of budgets and occupations. I’m seeing a broader range on the political spectrum compared with five years ago. Seems there’s way more posters over 50 too

This isn’t to say this is some pinnacle of diversity, it’s still not, but I feel we are seeing way broader opinions and backgrounds than in the early years. Maybe you mean something different though…!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2022, 05:03:19 PM »

I’m not sure I understand the sentiment you are trying to make @iris lily - certainly the forum “center” has moved far more towards the typical American middle class (complete with high spending on new luxury items), but overall I’d say the breadth of the community is much greater than it was a few years ago, with more women, more international and a broader range of budgets and occupations. I’m seeing a broader range on the political spectrum compared with five years ago. Seems there’s way more posters over 50 too

This isn’t to say this is some pinnacle of diversity, it’s still not, but I feel we are seeing way broader opinions and backgrounds than in the early years. Maybe you mean something different though…!

Do we have more women?  Or just more women willing to identify as such?  This place is not exclusionary - I gather some forums are. I remember a survey from way back that showed we were vaguely 50:50, which surprised a lot of people who figured it was skewed heavily male.  Given the basic fact that women have a longer life expectancy, we should be skewed female.

By the very nature of this forum we are not going to represent the world demographic, but we do have some diversity.  I enjoy seeing posts from people who are not American (the majority on here, I think) or Canadian.  Do we have any idea of the national diversity here?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2022, 06:40:42 PM »

I mean political diversity. Very little of it here. And becoming less daily.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2022, 06:46:25 PM »

(Edited to remove inaccurate data. I can in fact see all of Mr. Darden’s posts.sorry!)

My reading of his posts about social, economic, and political  topics was that he was confident and didn’t shy away from asking questions. I didn’t find them rude. I find  many people here ruder. But I don’t require that my feelings are not hurt in forum  discussions.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 10:21:34 AM by iris lily »