Author Topic: What would y'all think of this 2011 Nissan Leaf?  (Read 2831 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
What would y'all think of this 2011 Nissan Leaf?
« on: February 18, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/6000820213.html

It says there are 6 bars left on the battery dashboard.  How long should I project the batter to last with 6 bars left?

What does it cost to replace the battery?

mwulff

• Bristles
Re: What would y'all think of this 2011 Nissan Leaf?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/6000820213.html

It says there are 6 bars left on the battery dashboard.  How long should I project the batter to last with 6 bars left?

What does it cost to replace the battery?

That's one of the original non-lizard batteries. In the texas climate that battery is toast and should have been replaced by Nissan under warranty. I would only recommend buying this car after getting a quote for a completely new battery pack.

The problem here is that the 2011 pack couldn't stand hot climates and degraded terribly, Nissan actually agreed under a class action lawsuit to replace all the affected batteries. Somehow the own didn't get the memo.

In all likelihood the car is just fine, the electric motor is fine, the brakes are fine and so on. But that pack is toast and will need replacing.

Compare the price of the car to other cars with all 10 bars, if the cost of replacement is more than the price difference then drop it.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 11:09:34 PM »
Yikes.  That car is worth about $2k tops, IMO.

The battery was warrantied and should have been replaced by Nissan for free, and it's not clear why it wasn't.  The warranty guaranteed free battery replacement for any car that dropped below 9 bars before 60k miles or 60 months, and while this car is very much under 60k miles it is now beyond 60 months and thus probably no longer eligible for the warranty protection upgrade.

I'd pass, unless you know something we don't about how Nissan is handling cases like this.  Maybe they'll still honor the warranty, but I wouldn't count on it.  I certainly wouldn't pay the same price you would pay for a car with a functional battery.

2011 Leafs are going for under $6k around here with batteries that actually work.  Newer models cost about $1000 more per year of newness.  This car is a rip off, sorry.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »
Yikes.  That car is worth about $2k tops, IMO.

The battery was warrantied and should have been replaced by Nissan for free, and it's not clear why it wasn't.  The warranty guaranteed free battery replacement for any car that dropped below 9 bars before 60k miles or 60 months, and while this car is very much under 60k miles it is now beyond 60 months and thus probably no longer eligible for the warranty protection upgrade.

I'd pass, unless you know something we don't about how Nissan is handling cases like this.  Maybe they'll still honor the warranty, but I wouldn't count on it.  I certainly wouldn't pay the same price you would pay for a car with a functional battery.

2011 Leafs are going for under $6k around here with batteries that actually work.  Newer models cost about $1000 more per year of newness.  This car is a rip off, sorry.

If I got one say from 2014 for about $7500, how long should I expect it to last? (In miles and years?)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »
If I got one say from 2014 for about $7500, how long should I expect it to last? (In miles and years?)

That depends on where you live. 

Like any other modern car, it should go hundreds of thousands of miles if you do the required maintenance. 

The battery will degrade over time, and you'll slowly lose range.  Nissan is predicting 1 to 3 per year of range loss, so after ten years you could theoretically be down to 70% of the original range.

But it's not as bad as it sounds.  Gasoline powered cars are far more mechanically complex, and they sometimes have engine or transmission failures that electric cars appear to be immune to.  So instead of spending $3k on a new transmission after 10 years, you might instead expect to pay $3k on a new battery after ten years.  Also, electric cars never get cracked radiators, they never need their timing belts adjusted, and the fuel pumps or alternators never go out.  Those parts are absent.  They just don't have as many moving parts as gasoline cars, so their maintenance costs are projected to be much lower for years and years. 

There's a raging debate in the EV community about whether or not battery replacements will ever even happen.  Some people believe that EVs will get so cheap, and the technology will progress so quickly, that most people will buy a new one with more range instead of upgrading the battery in an old one, and the old ones will end up in the hands of students or short-commuters who will be thrilled to get a virtually free car that only goes 40 miles on a charge.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

That depends on where you live. 

Like any other modern car, it should go hundreds of thousands of miles if you do the required maintenance. 

The battery will degrade over time, and you'll slowly lose range.  Nissan is predicting 1 to 3 per year of range loss, so after ten years you could theoretically be down to 70% of the original range.

But it's not as bad as it sounds.  Gasoline powered cars are far more mechanically complex, and they sometimes have engine or transmission failures that electric cars appear to be immune to.  So instead of spending $3k on a new transmission after 10 years, you might instead expect to pay $3k on a new battery after ten years.  Also, electric cars never get cracked radiators, they never need their timing belts adjusted, and the fuel pumps or alternators never go out.  Those parts are absent.  They just don't have as many moving parts as gasoline cars, so their maintenance costs are projected to be much lower for years and years. 

There's a raging debate in the EV community about whether or not battery replacements will ever even happen.  Some people believe that EVs will get so cheap, and the technology will progress so quickly, that most people will buy a new one with more range instead of upgrading the battery in an old one, and the old ones will end up in the hands of students or short-commuters who will be thrilled to get a virtually free car that only goes 40 miles on a charge.

Thanks for the details a short min learning about t this. What would a replacement battery cost?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
Thanks for the details a short min learning about t this. What would a replacement battery cost?

Right now, Nissan dealers are charging $5499 to replace a Leaf battery.  That includes parts and labor, and requires that you turn in your old battery. 

Non-dealer options may be cheaper.  The dealer option may be cheaper in the future, as batteries continue to come down in price.  But $5.5k is today's going rate, and that's the reason I think that 2011 Leaf isn't worth much.  With a brand new battery in it, it's probably worth $7k.