Author Topic: What was your SAT or ACT percentile/score?  (Read 10658 times)

Luck12

• Bristles
What was your SAT or ACT percentile/score?
« on: December 02, 2019, 12:41:07 PM »
The other thread really got me thinking of this topic.   Someone mentioned avg IQ here probably is > 115.    So what did you get on the SAT or ACT?   Percentiles for 2016-2019 (SAT) and 2018 (ACT) are below.     If you went to school outside the US just base it off your country's version of the SAT or ACT.    I realize SAT/ACT has its flaws, but since it's nearly universally taken by the college attending crowd, it's the best we have.   And I realize this will be skewed upwards since people who scored low will be less likely to post. 

Don't be shy, guess I'll start.  I'm in the 95th or 96th percentile depending on the year.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/historical-percentiles-new-sat

https://blog.prepscholar.com/act-percentiles-and-score-rankings

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What was your SAT or ACT percentile/score?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
Not American, so no idea what ACT is.

ontheway2

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 12:50:30 PM »
Oh cool; I've never looked this up. So I scored 96 percentile on my composite; took it one time

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:57:40 PM »
I'm too old.

Kidding, sort of.  I took the SAT before they recentered it, then went to 2400 scale, then back to 1600 scale.

Straight up, 94.  But, factoring that in, google tells me 98/99.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:01:56 PM »
Only ever took the ACT (once with zero prep). Got a 34, moved on with life.

Standardized tests pretty much only test: were you paying reasonable attention in school? I wouldn't get too excited about saying you're in the nth percentile of human intelligence based on them, hah.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »
I remember this!  1460 on a 1600 scale way back in 1987.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 01:04:15 PM »
Took the ACT once, zero prep.

95th percentile, looks like.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »

Standardized tests pretty much only test: were you paying reasonable attention in school? I wouldn't get too excited about saying you're in the nth percentile of human intelligence based on them, hah.

Is 34 a good score or a bad score?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »
I'm glad you posted this! That thread made me interested in the average IQ across the forum.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:56:11 PM by StarBright »

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »

34/36, 99% percentile composite (according to the links in the OP)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
I'm glad you posted this! I am now interested in the average IQ across the forum.

Most people never have an actual IQ test done, so it would be hard to get this kind of stat. However, it's not hard to infer average IQ levels based on level of educational and professional accomplishment, as well as just based on demonstrated analytical skills.

If we're using standardized high school tests as a rough proxy for IQ, then it's won't be surprising if the stats here are typically in the 90th+ percentiles.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »

The fact that the ACT score is calculated out of 36 has always made me question the intelligence of the designers... lol!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
I took the SAT the first year that writing was added, and the total score went up to 2400. I scored 780 on the math and don't remember the exact score on the other two parts, though I know my writing score was terrible. I also had to take the SAT II for math and got a perfect score.

I took the ASVAB prior to joining the military a few years later and got in the 99th percentile with a GT score of 138. I was still dumb enough to join the Army instead of the Air Force, so it may not be too indicative of intelligence.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
I scored 1340/1600 on the SAT as a twelve year old. Scored slightly higher as a thirteen year old. (Part of a youth aptitude test.) Never took it again as my country doesn't use SAT scores for university entry so it was all moot.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:34:53 PM by Bloop Bloop »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the responses will come from people who had good scores and those with lower scores will be avoiding this thread.

I agree that it's an interesting question, but it will be very difficult to get a representative sample of forumites. An anonymous poll might get better results.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:21:26 PM by Davnasty »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
I took the SAT once, as a junior, in 1971, and I don't think it was such a big deal then. I got 1400/1600? It was good enough.

I'm so old that there were no calculators when I took that test!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »

So...you tested in the 99th percentile with little to no preparation and you're attributing it to paying reasonable attention in school?

I think your case would be one that demonstrates a high capacity for learning, not the opposite message that you seem to be expressing, which is that everyone should be able to do it.

It reminds me of when I was in undergrad and used to have the attitude that anyone should be able to maintain an A- average with just the least amount of basic effort. Then I started teaching and realized just how criminally wrong that attitude was. I saw countless students work their asses off and struggle to obtain a low B grade.

If you find standardized testing easy, then congrats, you are one of the intelligent elite! The reason it doesn't feel important is because in and of itself, it isn't. But if a standardized test feels easy to someone, then it's not because it's easy, it's because they are atypically intelligent in measurable ways.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 01:30:51 PM »
I took both 25 years ago, at 16. I think my ACT composite was 30 or 31 (out of 36). The SAT was 1360/1600. No test prep, and my working-class parents were willing to pay for only one round of tests. In 1994, those were above the 90th percentile. I doubt the percentiles would be as high now. My highest component scores, by far, were always on the verbal sections.

Took the GRE in 2005, got a 700/800 math, 730/800 verbal, 4.5/6 written. I think only the verbal was over the 90th percentile. Good thing I didn't go into engineering.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 01:38:18 PM »
32 on the ACT, so 96th percentile, and didn't take the SAT. My good ACT score made up for my only okay GPA (3.2ish I think, I didn't like doing homework) when applying for college, but at the time all I really cared about was that I beat my twin (by one point) haha!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »
SAT: 1 million billion! Muahahahaha!

Or, from Gattaca, "Higher than most but not as high as some."

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »

Eh.  Back in the day, the "old" SAT was trying to be more like an IQ test and so focused more on logic and reasoning, whereas the ACT was designed to be more a test of what you had learned.  I don't know that you could ace either just by paying attention in school if you weren't already smart, but that person would definitely do better on the ACT than the SAT.  Personally, I didn't know many of the SAT words but was able to figure them out by deconstructing the meaning of the various prefixes/roots/suffixes, and I have an innately logical mind that made the comparison questions very easy to decipher and the math questions pretty easy to work through.  Plus I saw test-taking as a game -- the goal wasn't just to figure out the right answer, it was to figure out what the testmaker would think was the right answer, and to spot how they were trying to trip me up.  And I like games.  ;-)

99%+ for me (National Merit Scholar).  But like Malkynn says, that is due to some very specific innate abilities, along with the privilege of being raised by a couple of English professors -- language just always made sense to me.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
Oooh, I remember this one particularly well. In 8th grade I got a 28 on the ACT and worked it up to a 33.5 composite score (98th percentile) by my senior year. The reason this stands out is that if I could have gotten a 34 I would have gone from getting a $1k scholarship to almost a full ride scholarship. It was...disappointing to say the least. Being so close helped me put things into perspective though as I only had myself and my own poor study habits to blame for the less good scholarship.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
97th.

And I think Davnasty is right.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 02:01:24 PM »
Good thread - I was just googling my ACT percentile out of curiosity based on the other thread when I saw this.

I got a 20 on my ACT and tried very hard. That’s 52 percentile. I also have mild dyslexia, dysnomia, and a non verbal learning disorder that weren’t identified until college (after struggling through high school with a 2.7 GPA and failing multiple classes.)

I’ve recently leaned that this doesn’t matter because I’m so privileged and that’s the only reason I’m successful.

Somehow I’ve managed to mitigate my learning problems through a lot of very specific habits I’ve created over the years to propel myself in a highly technical advanced career at the same level as most top engineers at one of the countries largest oil & gas companies. Unfortunately I don’t know I could ever complete the schooling my engineering counterparts have. It took me 3 years to get my associates.

I’ve mastered so many other skills that others lack that it seems to overcompensate my inability to quickly learn, remember, and understand.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:05:17 PM by use2betrix »

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 02:02:11 PM »
I’m Canadian, so I never took the SAT/ACT, but I scored 172 on the LSAT, which was 99th percentile for that testing session. First try, just studied on my own from workbooks and practice tests.

Not sure how closely LSAT measures IQ. My understanding of the LSAT is that it isn’t a great indicator of law school or career performance (although I did very well in law school), but it is well correlated with bar exam passage rates. Ie. people who do well at the LSAT are good at tests.

I agree with the comment that an anonymous poll would be more likely to get an accurate sample.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2019, 02:03:26 PM »
I'm glad you posted this! I am now interested in the average IQ across the forum.

Most people never have an actual IQ test done, so it would be hard to get this kind of stat. However, it's not hard to infer average IQ levels based on level of educational and professional accomplishment, as well as just based on demonstrated analytical skills.

If we're using standardized high school tests as a rough proxy for IQ, then it's won't be surprising if the stats here are typically in the 90th+ percentiles.

I am sort of surprised that most people don't get IQ tests. I believe you, just surprised. At least when I was in elementary school (late 80s) I thought they tested everyone for GT testing. Honestly I just remember elementary being non-stop testing- even 30 years ago. We also had a high school teacher that administered a shorter version of the SB (probably not perfect- but a reasonable indicator, I would imagine).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:11:41 PM by StarBright »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2019, 02:08:46 PM »

I am sort of surprised that most people don't get IQ tests. I believe you, just surprised. At least when I was in elementary school (late 80s) I thought they tested everyone for GT testing. Honestly I just remember elementary being non-step testing- even 30 years ago. We also had a high school teacher that administered a shorter version of the SB (probably not perfect- but a reasonable indicator, I would imagine).

I looked into it, but it costs more time and money than I am willing to part with just to stroke my ego.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2019, 02:09:52 PM »
I agree that it's an interesting question, but it will be very difficult to get a representative sample of forumites. An anonymous poll might get better results.

Unfortunately I created this in haste as I was warming up to go running.   Should've seen the "New Poll" button.  Doh, despite my 95-96th percentile score I'm an idiot. 

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »
Here's a strawpoll if anyone is interested:

https://strawpoll.com/a1b7wzch

MoneyQuirk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Aspiring writer at www.moneyquirk.com
    • Money Quirk
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »
I think most of it goes back to the marshmallow test.

People on here are people that choose to delay gratification (they understand the importance of waiting for stuff).

That exact same group also tends to do the best in school and other areas (because choosing to study over, say, video games also requires delaying gratification).

Though, to answer your original question, I got a 1530 SAT, which puts me at 98.5th percentile.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »

I am sort of surprised that most people don't get IQ tests. I believe you, just surprised. At least when I was in elementary school (late 80s) I thought they tested everyone for GT testing. Honestly I just remember elementary being non-stop testing- even 30 years ago. We also had a high school teacher that administered a shorter version of the SB (probably not perfect- but a reasonable indicator, I would imagine).

I also took multiple tests as part of normal G&T testing (I think they were IQ tests - a couple were definitely Raven's, which is a standardised test, and the others resembled standardised tests though I can only guess) but we were never given our scores. Probably a good thing.

I think the trend these days is to avoid explicit IQ testing in school, particularly because children and parents whinge about it. In fact there is a movement against streaming in general, preferring more organic mixed classes.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »
Good thread - I was just googling my ACT percentile out of curiosity based on the other thread when I saw this.

I got a 20 on my ACT and tried very hard. That’s 52 percentile. I also have mild dyslexia, dysnomia, and a non verbal learning disorder that weren’t identified until college (after struggling through high school with a 2.7 GPA and failing multiple classes.)

I’ve recently leaned that this doesn’t matter because I’m so privileged and that’s the only reason I’m successful.

Somehow I’ve managed to mitigate my learning problems through a lot of very specific habits I’ve created over the years to propel myself in a highly technical advanced career at the same level as most top engineers at one of the countries largest oil & gas companies. Unfortunately I don’t know I could ever complete the schooling my engineering counterparts have. It took me 3 years to get my associates.

I’ve mastered so many other skills that others lack that it seems to overcompensate my inability to quickly learn, remember, and understand.

Don't be salty, we all know you are both very intelligent and incredibly hard working.

I can absolutely believe that you didn't test well based on your history, but based on your posts, I don't believe for a damn second that you aren't fundamentally very intelligent.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 02:17:45 PM »

99%+ for me (National Merit Scholar).  But like Malkynn says, that is due to some very specific innate abilities, along with the privilege of being raised by a couple of English professors -- language just always made sense to me.

I was also a National Merit Scholar.  I got lucky and was in the 99th percentile on the PSAT (compared to 96th on the SAT) which the NMS scholarship was largely based on.   

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
I took SAT before they added the writing section. I scored 790 on math (likely 99 percentile or higher - I still wonder what mistake I made) and somewhere around 550 on reading (just a little above average). Looks like my composite score was around the 66th percentile (one of the lowest scores to respond here). Only took the SAT once, but did take the PSAT (with similar results). Ultimately both tests were a waste of time and money as I went to community college before university so I don't think my high school SAT scores really played a role in my college admissions.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
I took SAT before they added the writing section. I scored 790 on math (likely 99 percentile or higher - I still wonder what mistake I made) and somewhere around 550 on reading (just a little above average). Looks like my composite score was around the 66th percentile (one of the lowest scores to respond here). Only took the SAT once, but did take the PSAT (with similar results). Ultimately both tests were a waste of time and money as I went to community college before university so I don't think my high school SAT scores really played a role in my college admissions.

Dude you scored 1340 pre-recentering which I believe puts you around the 95th percentile.   I had very similar math/reading splits as you and also took the SAT pre-recentering. 

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »

790 + 550 = composite score of 1340, or 90th percentile.

Now we know why you only got a 790 on math =D

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2019, 02:30:25 PM »
Mathlete, you have to convert pre April 1995 results due to re-centering, there's a scale somewhere that does this.  I remember you have to add 60-80 points to any pre April 1995 score.    A few siblings took the SAT after April 1995 so of course I was curious how we compared apples to apples. 

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »
Mathlete, you have to convert pre April 1995 results due to re-centering, there's a scale somewhere that does this.  I remember you have to add 60-80 points to any pre April 1995 score.    A few siblings took the SAT after April 1995 so of course I was curious how we compared apples to apples.

Now we know why I didn't score as high on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »

Here's a conversion chart: https://www.greenes.com/html/convert.htm

According to the scale, my current-equivalent score would be 650 math/780 verbal.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »

Now we know why I didn't score as high on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section.

Actually I might be wrong, he might've taken the SAT after re-centering, don't know why I just assumed he took pre-recentering.  In any case, he's at least 90th percentile. 

sabanist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 02:43:17 PM »
The other thread really got me thinking of this topic.   Someone mentioned avg IQ here probably is > 115.    So what did you get on the SAT or ACT?   Percentiles for 2016-2019 (SAT) and 2018 (ACT) are below.     If you went to school outside the US just base it off your country's version of the SAT or ACT.    I realize SAT/ACT has its flaws, but since it's nearly universally taken by the college attending crowd, it's the best we have.   And I realize this will be skewed upwards since people who scored low will be less likely to post. 

Don't be shy, guess I'll start.  I'm in the 95th or 96th percentile depending on the year.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/historical-percentiles-new-sat

https://blog.prepscholar.com/act-percentiles-and-score-rankings

I have no idea but I scored  a 20 on the ACT in 1994.  Took it once.  No its not a good score.  But I got into every college I applied to.  My how times have changed in that regard.  My daughter scored a 24 and cant even think about getting accepted to the flagship public schools in the state.  She will go to community college and transfer.  No problem. 

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »

So...you tested in the 99th percentile with little to no preparation and you're attributing it to paying reasonable attention in school?

I think your case would be one that demonstrates a high capacity for learning, not the opposite message that you seem to be expressing, which is that everyone should be able to do it.

It reminds me of when I was in undergrad and used to have the attitude that anyone should be able to maintain an A- average with just the least amount of basic effort. Then I started teaching and realized just how criminally wrong that attitude was. I saw countless students work their asses off and struggle to obtain a low B grade.

If you find standardized testing easy, then congrats, you are one of the intelligent elite! The reason it doesn't feel important is because in and of itself, it isn't. But if a standardized test feels easy to someone, then it's not because it's easy, it's because they are atypically intelligent in measurable ways.

I'm not saying everyone should be able to score in the 99% percentile; I'm saying that scoring in the 99% percentile on a standardized test doesn't mean you're in the 99% percentile of human intelligence. It just means you're in the 99% percentile for taking a test which covers basic human knowledge covered in k-12.

A corollary: I bet if I took the ACT today I would not score nearly as high (at least on the timed version). Have I gotten less intelligent over the years, or have I just forgotten/gotten rusty on a lot of material from k-12?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
I remember this!  1460 on a 1600 scale way back in 1987.
same same
Well, the 1987 part
I wasn't too far behind you on score, but a bit.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2019, 02:52:48 PM »

Standardized high school testing and IQ testing generally aren't the same thing AFAIK. IQ tests are quite expensive, so I would be surprised if public schools administered them for everyone.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »

I'm not saying everyone should be able to score in the 99% percentile; I'm saying that scoring in the 99% percentile on a standardized test doesn't mean you're in the 99% percentile of human intelligence. It just means you're in the 99% percentile for taking a test which covers basic human knowledge covered in k-12.

A corollary: I bet if I took the ACT today I would not score nearly as high (at least on the timed version). Have I gotten less intelligent over the years, or have I just forgotten/gotten rusty on a lot of material from k-12?

Ahhhh, gotcha

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »
I was in many AP classes, finished my Bachelor's of Engineering with a 3.9 GPA. Finished High School with a 4.0

Took SAT twice and scored around 1050 each time.

So no, I don't feel that those tests are very representative of intelligence or of my general success in life.

Recently took the GRE and scored a 321. I think that's around the 80% mark? Still not a good measure for success in grad school.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2019, 03:00:31 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the responses will come from people who had good scores and those with lower scores will be avoiding this thread.

Probably true.  A few months back, I read an article about the average SAT score for incoming freshman at UCSB.  It was ... high.  So then I got to wondering, what is the average incoming SAT score for other schools, including my alma mater?  And, what was my equivalent SAT score, adjusting the 1987 score at least twice with the re-centering.

So I went down THAT rabbit hole and...
I probably would not get into my alma mater today, at least not easily, with that score.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »
I graduated high school back in 1999.  Took SAT twice, scored a little higher the 2nd time after I learned some strategies.  I think I got a 620 verbal and 550 math.  I’ve always been a little embarrassed by this score.  That said, I took the French subject SAT 2 test and scored in the 700s I think and somewhere in the 600s for the writing. 

I spent my junior year abroad in a French high school and basically only had 2 years of high school math before taking the SAT exam in the fall of my senior year. 

Coming up through school I always scored average or below average on the various statewide standardized tests.  I attribute my success in life to two main things 1) differentiating myself from my peers by doing things they weren’t willing to do (studied in France as an exchange student and becoming a US Army officer, etc...) and 2) Spending a lot more time studying, working on projects, etc... than my peers.  As a result I graduated with a 3.4 gpa from a fairly well known liberal arts college and a 3.95 gpa from grad school.

I’m not naturally the smartest guy in the room but I’ve learned how to do things better than many others.  And because of this I have been “professionally successful”.  Never felt that the standardized test scores really reflected by abilities well.  Oh well!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »

Actually, I looked at this just today, and saw, the ACT is designed to see what you learned in HS and the SAT tests for Critical thinking and problem solving. It has more math and checks the concept of students.
 I have never taken the test and was curious how I would do at 64 yrs old.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
Probably true.  A few months back, I read an article about the average SAT score for incoming freshman at UCSB.  It was ... high.  So then I got to wondering, what is the average incoming SAT score for other schools, including my alma mater?  And, what was my equivalent SAT score, adjusting the 1987 score at least twice with the re-centering.

So I went down THAT rabbit hole and...
I probably would not get into my alma mater today, at least not easily, with that score.

This illustrates why it's so ridiculous when older people try to claim that Millenials or Gen Z have it so easy or that they don't know failure.   Most of these old people wouldn't stand a chance of getting into their alma maters today.   Extend that to the employment market, housing market, etc.