Author Topic: What was your SAT or ACT percentile/score?  (Read 10734 times)

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What was your SAT or ACT percentile/score?
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
I never took the SAT/ACT, so I guess that makes my score 0?

Since then:

Graduated community college
Finished my BA
Finished my MBA (I had mid-range GMAT scores with minimal studying)

I even started an SAT prep company for a brief period, although it didn't do well.

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »

Since then:

Finished my BA

I even started an SAT prep company for a brief period, although it didn't do well.

Same path here--bought a SAT prep book, but since they never asked for my scores when I joined community college (or later when I transferred to a four year to finish my degree.)

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »

Since then:

Finished my BA

Same path here--bought a SAT prep book, but since they never asked for my scores when I joined community college (or later when I transferred to a four year to finish my degree.)

Honestly looking back, I should have done community college. My degree (while not expensive by most college's standard), would have been a lot cheaper (like probably 20-30k cheaper). But I was so ready to get out of the house.

My college didn't hand out scholarships for people who scored <1300 on the SAT, but my GPA was so good that by the time I was a Junior I was receiving enough scholarships to cover my full tuition. There were a few classes though that I took that I would not have been able to take at a Community College that I really enjoyed and I think were a bit higher quality.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »
My understanding of the LSAT is that it isn’t a great indicator of law school or career performance (although I did very well in law school), but it is well correlated with bar exam passage rates. Ie. people who do well at the LSAT are good at tests.

My law school ran the numbers on our particular class to determine correlations between LSAT scores, law school class rank, undergrad GPA, SAT/ACT scores, and bar passage (1st time) rates. I thought their findings were very interesting:
Correlation between undergrad GPA & bar passage - nearly none
Correlation between SAT/ACT & bar passage - low
Correlation between LSAT & law school class rank - low
Correlation between LSAT & bar passage - low (but better than SAT/ACT)
Correlation between law school class rank & bar passage - very high

This was just my class, so the representative sample size likely isn't statistically significant. But I found it interesting.

Doesn't seem to interesting. The bar exam tests very specific knowledge gained in law school, not general knowledge or intelligence. That the people who did the best in the classes and tests meant to instill that knowledge were most likely to pass a test of that knowledge seems pretty expected, no?

I don’t know about American bar exams. The Canadian exam I took tested a lot of “practice” points that aren’t taught in law school. Still a multiple choice exam, but to study for it you had to read 100s of pages about cottage conveyancing, the estate administration tax, and why you should always get a retainer agreement.

And it was open book. There were too many questions in too little time to look everything up, so it partially tested your ability to use an index/table of contents.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2019, 05:08:36 PM »
Took the SAT in spring of 1975 and got a 1400, evenly split between both sections.   It was a pretty good score at the time. 

I was asked to apply for a graduate assistantship in fall of 1978.   I could take the GRE or the MAT (Miller Analogies Test).   The MAT was cheaper and didn't interfere with my work schedule so I took it.

It was a 100 question test, multiple choice, four answers per question (choose one), earning one point per question.    I got an 87, which I thought was fair but not particularly good.  However, it turns out that the average score was a 25 at the time.   An 87 was well within the top  2%.  There was a mini-scandal on the usage of the MAT to get into graduate school because the required score to get into the education department was a 24.    When it was pointed out that a monkey trained to mark "C" would, statistically, get a 25, the education department raised the required score to a 26.    It now took a slightly lucky monkey to get in.

Some years later (circa 1990) I ended up taking the GRE.  I've forgotten the score I got but it was a good one.

I'm not particularly smart.   I just did the work I was assigned to the best of my ability.  I like to learn. I also read a lot - a whole lot and on a wide variety of topics.    I make a conscious point to check all knowledge I have to see if it's relevant to all problems.   I don't put my knowledge into separate silos and only consult just one silo to find an answer.  So I don't think I've done well because I'm brilliant, I've done well because I'm average and I really apply myself.   If you really apply yourself you can appear to be brilliant to people who haven't taken the trouble to master event he simplest portions of their profession.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
Took the SAT in spring of 1975 and got a 1400, evenly split between both sections.   It was a pretty good score at the time. 

I was asked to apply for a graduate assistantship in fall of 1978.   I could take the GRE or the MAT (Miller Analogies Test).   The MAT was cheaper and didn't interfere with my work schedule so I took it.

It was a 100 question test, multiple choice, four answers per question (choose one), earning one point per question.    I got an 87, which I thought was fair but not particularly good.  However, it turns out that the average score was a 25 at the time.   An 87 was well within the top  2%.  There was a mini-scandal on the usage of the MAT to get into graduate school because the required score to get into the education department was a 24.    When it was pointed out that a monkey trained to mark "C" would, statistically, get a 25, the education department raised the required score to a 26.    It now took a slightly lucky monkey to get in.

Some years later (circa 1990) I ended up taking the GRE.  I've forgotten the score I got but it was a good one.

I'm not particularly smart.   I just did the work I was assigned to the best of my ability.  I like to learn. I also read a lot - a whole lot and on a wide variety of topics.    I make a conscious point to check all knowledge I have to see if it's relevant to all problems.   I don't put my knowledge into separate silos and only consult just one silo to find an answer.  So I don't think I've done well because I'm brilliant, I've done well because I'm average and I really apply myself.   If you really apply yourself you can appear to be brilliant to people who haven't taken the trouble to master event he simplest portions of their profession.

Are Americans allowed to refer to themselves as smart?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »

^I think this is interesting! I have a younger brother who is somewhere way up the IQ scale - whenever someone would tell my parents how bright my brother was they would reply "Well he's not Einstein or Mozart."

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »
You are going to see bias in self reporting,  so take what’s posted in this thread with a grain of salt...

However, based on how many people here don’t know when to use principle vs. principal, loose vs. lose, their vs. they’re vs. there, its vs. it’s, whose vs. who’s, etc., in their posts, I’d guess the median SAT verbal score here is about the 50th percentile.

I struggle with their/there/they're, it's true. Luckily, I get fuck-o right every time!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2019, 05:09:45 AM »
About 95th percentile for the US and 50th for this thread. I took them in either 1996 or 1997, or possibly 1998, I’m really not sure. Got a 32 on the ACT and ether 1420 or 1460 on the SAT (one was the PSAT and one was the SAT). I don’t remember the scores for each subject. No studying involved, but I did take Latin, which is known to help on the verbal part, and I was in the higher math classes at my school.

I was a horrible student and only studied subjects I was interested in, but always did well on standardized tests. I also remember thinking class rank was stupid because it rewarded students for taking easier classes.  I did not have a good enough GPA for national merit, but after going to cc and transferring in some good grades I got a scholarship to finish my bachelors.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2019, 08:39:42 AM »
I couldn't have given 2 shits about the ACT when I was in high school. I wanted to attend the flagship state school in my state that has since rocketed up the rankings but at the time and 18 would get you in. I was hungover on 3-4 hours of sleep and got a 23. Now they would laugh my application away. I easily got accepted into dentals school and graduated in the mid 3.xxs in undergrad and dental school and passed all of my licensing exams well above minimum and on the first try. Do I have the lowest score here?

diffusate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »
I'm almost (but not quite) embarrassed to say I got a perfect 1600 on the SAT with minimal prep. It felt like a big deal at the time. Word got around even though I only told a few close friends and I felt like a minor celebrity for a short while.

I'm not surprised that most of the people here have gotten above average scores. I'm pretty clear that these tests don't measure something intangible like "smartness" but something more like tendency to think in an organized way. Organized thinking is great for a discrete set of things, but definitely not all - creative and artistic exploration most notably.

Organized thinking does help a lot with financial decision-making. In fact, that's sort of the premise of a lot of the discussions here. Taking what most people do intuitively and applying rigorous long-term analysis to it. Certainly helps one end up with more money, does not necessarily help one enjoy life more.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »
I took the ACT in 2006. I think. Maybe 2005, maybe 2007. Took it twice, once  because I needed it to start applying for college, once because school made us take it together (and it was too late for me to start applying when I wanted). 31 both times, but they let you take the best scores from each section and it upped it to a 32.

Math I got a 34 or 35 both times. 99th percentile. Overall the 31/32 put me in the 95-96%. Doesn't mean much. My GPA was about 2.5, but I had one class that was co-enrolled at a community college and 3 AP classes so I graduated with 11 or 12 college credits.

Laura Ingalls

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
As someone that has administered hundreds of IQ tests in the last 25 years I would go with the average for this board is not higher than 115.  I would guess more like 105.  We aren’t that much smarter than average. 

Trump is also neither stable or a genius😀.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »
As someone that has administered hundreds of IQ tests in the last 25 years I would go with the average for this board is not higher than 115.  I would guess more like 105.  We aren’t that much smarter than average. 

I was the one who initially mentioned 115 in another thread although I never said average, and I was basing that off of the typical careers and level of education of people I see posting here. There are a lot of doctors, lawyers, engineers, and people with doctorates, so I would assume that IQs above 115 are not at all atypical here.

I've always read that the doctor/lawyer/PhD crowd typically have IQs over 120, but feel free to correct me, I haven't studied psych in over a decade.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »
I would be willing to bet that the average IQ here is greater than 105, even accounting for the sampling bias evident in this thread. Firstly, the general online average would be higher than 100 to begin with since those with major psychosocial dysfunction, barriers to literacy and adverse life circumstances are less likely to be posting on an internet forum (any forum) in the first place. Secondly, when you consider that this forum is specifically for those who care about and plan their finances carefully, I think that would push the average beyond 1/3 of a SD above the mean.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »
I couldn't have given 2 shits about the ACT when I was in high school. I wanted to attend the flagship state school in my state that has since rocketed up the rankings but at the time and 18 would get you in. I was hungover on 3-4 hours of sleep and got a 23. Now they would laugh my application away. I easily got accepted into dentals school and graduated in the mid 3.xxs in undergrad and dental school and passed all of my licensing exams well above minimum and on the first try. Do I have the lowest score here?

@Bucksandreds - so far I believe I have the lowest here at a 20.

I’m proud as hell of my great score of 20. I’m 31 with an associates degree and I’ve made $320k this year. Further reinforces my belief that hard work and deliberate practice can largely compensate for a low IQ.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »
I have said many other times on this forum, I have a very hard time learning and understanding things without a lot of work. Fortunately, I can recognize that and find good workarounds for it. While i may struggle with many of the technical concepts, I can make a conscious point to know where to find the answers and know better than to try and quote the answers. Beyond that, I also do things to help my learning. I’m insanely anal regarding my work, following up on tasks, attention to detail. I use my iPad/iPhone religiously and create “action item lists” and take meeting notes weekly. All of these things help compensate for my shortcomings in regards to learning.

This is good though.  I was always a really good test taker, I learn ... okay.  Some concepts, I have to work really hard at.  I am an engineer, I can learn a lot of things...but spatially, it takes me a LONG time if I cannot touch/ feel/ SEE the thing.

I lecture a fair number of my coworkers.  Many of them are super bright, PhDs in engineering.  Some organized, many not.  A lot of them have a tendency to rely on memory.  I basically warn them that they aren't gonna be 30 forever.  The people that I see that are in their 50s and 60s and still very successful have developed systems for recording and retrieving information.

Reminds me about a very smart physicist I worked with, that liked to "develop from first principals", whatever that means.
He had to have surgery and go under anesthesia. His biggest concern was losing all the formulas he had in his head.
He said after woke from the anesthesia, he started recalling formulas just to check himself.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2019, 01:21:57 AM »

Sure.

I'm effectively smart.    In my professional field of endeavor, I was effectively damn smart.

I'm not smart because I was born smart.  I'm on the higher end of the average range.   I'm smart because I did the work.

American school systems repeat themselves.  Boring as hell.   In the higher grades they would add more material, but they frequently started with the assumption that you didn't know a damn thing.   And because I actually did the work to learn instead of did the work to pass the test and then promptly forget it, I retained much of the knowledge.  So when the material was covered yet again, I already knew a lot of it.  I could focus on the 20% I didn't know instead of having to learn the 80% we had been taught earlier.

The old saying, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."    I've met plenty of people who were born way smarter than I was.   If those folks did the work, no way in hell I could keep up with them.   But I could do better than a lot of born smart folks who didn't do the work to excel.   And I could run rings around average folks who barely applied themselves.

I got into my professional field by accident.  I needed a job really bad and the guy who hired me needed a hard worker who would work for very little.  It was a major recession in the small town I had moved to, the kind of small town where your great-great-great-great-grandkids might (sometimes) be considered a native of the town.   So it was hard to find a job.  I took what I could get and it didn't pay well at all.   Looked like it would be a great career so I started reading.  The store I worked in sold personal computers (which was my job).  Didn't know a damn thing about them when I started.  They also sold books and magazines, so I read them when customers weren't around.   I learned to program a bit.    I signed up for computer book clubs, the kind where you get a bunch of books for a few dollars, buy a few, then get bonus books if you sign someone else up for the club.   It wasn't like libraries had much on the topic way back then.   Ours certainly didn't!    When I finished reading the books I would sign up my wife.   When I finished those books I signed up my daughter.   When I finished those books I signed up my son.   Then my cat.  Then my other cat.    I practiced at home.   I read at lunch.   I went to user group meetings and learned from those presentations.  I started doing presentations and writing articles.    I started meeting smart, hard-working folks and would trade ideas with them.   

The end result of all that human capital was a darn good paycheck and a well-earned reputation for being able to do hard stuff quickly and correctly.

If you work at it on a consistent basis over a number of years, you can effectively become damn smart.

It's kind of like our stash.  You can start at -$50k, $0k, or $50k.   Your starting point will make a big difference for awhile, but if you get a high enough savings rate, that starting advantage quickly becomes overwhelmed by your savings and investment earnings.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2019, 02:26:03 AM »

People around here tend to have better spelling and grammar than most of my college students, but that could reflect age and education more than IQ.

How often is IQ testing done these days? I’ve only seen it in people with a suspected learning disability.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:30:34 AM by Aunt Petunia »

Laura Ingalls

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »

People around here tend to have better spelling and grammar than most of my college students, but that could reflect age and education more than IQ.

How often is IQ testing done these days? I’ve only seen it in people with a suspected learning disability.

Individual IQ tests are done pretty often in the k-12 public school setting and mental health settings too.  Not just about learning disabilities but for planning and eligibility for other special education areas too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!