Poll

What was your net worth at 30 years old?

Negative, I was still in debt!
$0-50k
$50-100k
$100-200k
$200-300k

Author Topic: What was your net worth at 30 years old?  (Read 148433 times)

warlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What was your net worth at 30 years old?
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2015, 08:36:45 PM »
I agree this thread is both inspiring and depressing.

Three years out of high school I wasn't doing much but addicted to video games.

Did community college and good engineering school in four years after my 180o.

Just completed my fourth year in the work force and have NW of 110k @ 29.

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2015, 08:44:16 PM »
I agree this thread is both inspiring and depressing.

Three years out of high school I wasn't doing much but addicted to video games.

Did community college and good engineering school in four years after my 180o.

Just completed my fourth year in the work force and have NW of 110k @ 29.

This was me. In fact, I was even globally ranked in a Halo 2 game type.

2 years of community college followed by 2.67 years at a state school. It's never too late to turn it around and amazing what you can accomplish when you commit 100% of your energy to it.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »
I'm 30 now, my net worth is negative 225K. Medical school was very expensive. Remember me the next time someone tells you doctors get paid too much.
Don't make the same mistakes the other doctors make.  Read The Millionaire Next Door and avoid your peers' plights!

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »
$27,000.  I'm worth ~$200k eight years later thanks to a huge boost in income which started that year.  Actually, I would have lot more, but, in those 8 years, there was a disastrous first marriage (-$60,000), an elective medical thing for which I paid out-out-pocket (-$20,000), and a 4 month leave of absence to work in Ireland (-$10,000).

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:05 PM »
$27,000.  I'm worth ~$200k eight years later thanks to a huge boost in income which started that year.  Actually, I would have lot more, but, in those 8 years, there was a disastrous first marriage (-$60,000), an elective medical thing for which I paid out-out-pocket (-$20,000), and a 4 month leave of absence to work in Ireland (-$10,000).

Lemons turned into lemonade. Looks pretty badass to me.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2015, 07:46:03 AM »
True story, Faraday.  I can either say "woe is me!" or think about how hard these things would've been had I not had good habits in place.  The opportunity in Ireland was amazing, and I'm very glad I had the ability to CHOOSE the medical thing, instead of my finances dictating my health.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2015, 08:31:07 AM »
I discovered MMM when I was 29, a few months from being 40. When I first calculated my net worth, it was around ~$35,000. By the end of that year, it was about $67,000. I was never a spendthrift, but I spent the latter half of my 20's trying to get past the mistake of buying a house in Jan 2008.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2015, 08:46:16 AM »
I discovered MMM when I was 29, a few months from being 40.

Damn Common Core math. :-) :-) :-)

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2015, 07:41:31 AM »
I discovered MMM when I was 29, a few months from being 40.

Damn Common Core math. :-) :-) :-)

+1 :) Too funny!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »
I had no idea at 30.   Didnt calculate NW until I was 39.  The good news is the wife kept increasing our mortgage pauments without me knowing, and Ive always contributed to my employer match RRSP.  Now we are pushing $800k at 41.

dontwannaworkforever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
Not 30 yet :)

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2015, 03:19:40 AM »
well this sucks

20 years old and only working part time atm. 100% savings rate because living with mum and dad still.

£6100/ yr being funneled into my investments. meanwhile everyone here is earning 100k+ a year.

it's a shame because im an ERE fanatic and my living expenses are so low i could FIRE in 2 years with some of your salaries :(

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2015, 03:52:03 AM »
Not 30 yet, but based on rough projections I'll be at $1.2M(ish) combined net worth with spouse. Of course he'll be closer to 40 by then, so HIS net worth at 30 was much lower :-P

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2015, 03:56:08 AM »
well this sucks

20 years old and only working part time atm. 100% savings rate because living with mum and dad still.

£6100/ yr being funneled into my investments. meanwhile everyone here is earning 100k+ a year.

it's a shame because im an ERE fanatic and my living expenses are so low i could FIRE in 2 years with some of your salaries :(

Time to go earn more, work for 3 years, and have a 50% boost to your spending (or 4 years, and double your spending)!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »
North of 700k.. Sold a small business back then.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
well this sucks

I'd be curious to know more about your circumstances. At 20, have you really learned that you don't like any aspect of work? Being stressed/constrained/ruled by your job/employer blows, and that concept get's a lot of press around MMM and ERE forums. But there's another concept that doesn't get mentioned very often - the idea that being a master of your trade is really enjoyable.

There are lots of trades that you can master outside of any system, but there are an equal number that require someone else to own and maintain the infrastructure. You can build your own tool library, and find the mentorship you need to be a master plumber. But it's much harder to build your own nuclear reactor, or a thousand tonne warship. If you want a higher income, it might be worth considering your willingness to give up autonomy, in exchange for mastery.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
well this sucks

It's worthwhile to point out that most of us didn't have our ending salaries when we were 20 either.  Don't let that get you down.

At 20 I was working a minimum wage job and going to school.  And after graduating, I pretty much went through most of what I earned from 20-30.  Effectively: I started at 30, but with a decent paying job.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
I think I had around $5,000 when I was 30*I was single and had just bought a house. Way back then I was paying 11% interest on the mortgage.

Now I've got 26 years of DINK marriage under my belt and our net worth is very healthy. It helps to,have a frugal marriage partner.

*according to an inflation calculator that was around $11,0000 in today's dollars
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:46:59 PM by iris lily »

verily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »
Around 50k in 401k and stock. I bought my home at 30, which was in 2009, so I was simultaneously house poor and debt-free (except for mortgage) thanks to judicious use of the govt tax credit.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »
well this sucks

It's worthwhile to point out that most of us didn't have our ending salaries when we were 20 either.  Don't let that get you down.

At 20 I was working a minimum wage job and going to school.  And after graduating, I pretty much went through most of what I earned from 20-30.  Effectively: I started at 30, but with a decent paying job.

Good point.  A 20-year old shouldn't be comparing himself to people posting their net worths at 30.

I bet if the question was "what was your net worth at 20" most of the responses would be "very little" (negative, personally, because of student loans, but even with the outliers we have around here that paid for college in cash, and had jobs and such still likely had a very low net worth).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
Well, this is not a race. Though by 30, barring some really huge difficult-to-surmount issue like a major health setback, I would hope most had at least cleared debt other than housing. Maybe student loans if they were law/med school and the like and certain that a very large income was to follow shortly.

I counted DH and mine together (because our spreadsheet was set up that way) and not any home equity (no idea what it was then). Not quite 150K. Now about 5X that in a decade that involved an upside-down house, major recession and a good number of months of unemployment. So even if you're on the small side, take hope! It can be done.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
I'm running my own race here. Congrats to those that got there earlier than me but its my own actions that I can change - not anyone elses. Regrets? not a thing.

+1!

Wise words.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »
Not 30 yet.  Hope to make it to $1MM+ by that point.  About 5 years out.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
When I was thirty if you count the house about -$255,000 while I was delivering pizzas full time and collecting the GI Bill while going to 12 credit hour semesters. When I look back at it I wonder how Im still here with nothing on the credit card, and money to invest myself. I don't even make that much money.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
Holy shit, some people in here switched on to the MMM way of thinking much younger than I did! Congrats for those who were so smart, so young!

Myself - I'll be 30 next year and hopefully be at around $220-$250k all being well. If you'd told me that 3 years ago I would've presumed I'd have won the lottery but nope, just good ol' sensible living and saving. All being well, will hopefully be FI/RE at about 36, 40 for definite.

I'm not depressed by others in here, it think it pretty incredible. I just look around in the real world and realise that being FIRE by 40 at the latest is still pretty amazing :)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2015, 09:50:24 PM »
well this sucks

Good point.  A 20-year old shouldn't be comparing himself to people posting their net worths at 30.

I bet if the question was "what was your net worth at 20" most of the responses would be "very little" (negative, personally, because of student loans, but even with the outliers we have around here that paid for college in cash, and had jobs and such still likely had a very low net worth).

Spork and arebelspy are right. I didn't make jack squat for a long time. I had negative net worth until I was 40, paying off student loans for myself and DW, like most people.  I'm 53, about halfway to my stash goal and I've got no stories of big cars, houses, boats or vacations.

The great thing, mohawkbrah, is that if you stay the MMM course, by the time you are my age, you may have been FIRE for many years!

jexy103

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2015, 06:07:48 AM »
I selected the $100K-200K bracket, though I was on the low end of that. Last year, my goal was to hit $75K by my 30th bday in May (which I just missed), and $100K by Dec 31 (which I did, by only a few hundred dollars). :-D I turned 31 in May, with about $115K in net worth. So my net worth was $75K-$115K the year I was 30.

For background, I learned of Dave Ramsey in September 2011 at 27 and found MMM about a year later, so I went from (slightly) negative net worth to $100K at the end of 2014 on a moderate income (avg $50K/yr).

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
We are 200k+ at 30 including home equity. My wife is finally getting her salary increased too (longggg JD/PhD program with no debt) - it was a long tail item but the extra dough is awesome except for the crazy daycare expenses (increased salary easily covers it but man, I hate seeing that money go out every week).

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #178 on: December 14, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
well this sucks

Spork and arebelspy are right. I didn't make jack squat for a long time. I had negative net worth until I was 40, paying off student loans for myself and DW, like most people.  I'm 53, about halfway to my stash goal and I've got no stories of big cars, houses, boats or vacations.

The great thing, mohawkbrah, is that if you stay the MMM course, by the time you are my age, you may have been FIRE for many years!

I think this is also worth highlighting.  Starting at 20 making crap wages, but with the right mindset is HUGE.  As I mentioned: I mostly started at 30.  That's 10 years of compound interest lost.  mohawkbrah: You're on the right path earlier than most.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
Single - $32,500

dmbfan4life20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2015, 10:17:52 AM »
31 and married here.

Our NW is just under $200K. We are hoping to cross that threshold before the summer.

Wife and I just started investing about 2 years ago and found MMM about 6 months ago. Her salary has continued to increase over the years while mine has remained flat (Local Gov't). Hopefully our salaries will continue to rise and allow us to grow our NW.

I feel that we are well ahead of lots of our friends in our Age Group and probably well behind others who have higher salaried jobs.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
I think this is also worth highlighting.  Starting at 20 making crap wages, but with the right mindset is HUGE.  As I mentioned: I mostly started at 30.  That's 10 years of compound interest lost.  mohawkbrah: You're on the right path earlier than most.

I used to have in my signature "I don't regret my lost youth, but I do regret lost compound interest." Took it out, seemed a little whiny after awhile. :-)

I think everyone who finds MMM and the MMM forums feels some initial sharp pangs of regret. There are LOTS of journal threads where newcomers express the pain of opportunity lost.  I think it hits us most completely when we realize that FIRE is actually within the reach of us regular joes.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »

I used to have in my signature "I don't regret my lost youth, but I do regret lost compound interest." Took it out, seemed a little whiny after awhile. :-)

I think everyone who finds MMM and the MMM forums feels some initial sharp pangs of regret. There are LOTS of journal threads where newcomers express the pain of opportunity lost.  I think it hits us most completely when we realize that FIRE is actually within the reach of us regular joes.

Meh.  I don't see it as whiney.  It's humorous and true.

Pain/regret can be a valid learning tool.  I could fill pages with mistakes I've made.  Life has turned out pretty awesome regardless. 

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »
31 and married, NW of 750k.  Graduated with no student loan debt (thanks to generosity of parents) and a major (Geophysics) that (not on purpose) perfectly timed about a decade of high oil prices from 2005-2014.  Made six figures as a 22 year old after working on a seismic boat roughly 250 days out of the year and didn't spend hardly any money because everything was provided for (meals, etc).  If I could change one thing about my 20s, I would have worked MORE overtime than I did, because I would be nearly FI right now.  I switched to a very stable office job about 5 years ago due to my wife's insistence, but if I had to do it again I'd have pushed for 1-3 more years as a contractor rather than W-2 survey employee, which would have put my pay right up at $1500-$2000 a day depending on the survey location (North Sea, Africa, South America, etc).  That extra year(s) would have been enough time to save an extra 200k (on top of the 200k we put down) that would basically made our mortgage less than what we are collecting in monthly dividends/quarterly draws.

+1 to the "right mindset" in your 20s.  Be willing to work hard and long hours and do shit work and you will like where you end up at 30.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »

I really liked that quote too! Perhaps because I can strongly identify with it. :p I don't normally regret things, but it gets tough some days when I see everyone's exciting skyrocketing networth graphs over the last half dozen years. I just started paying attention and making significant contributions a year ago and since then it's been flat and boring (which is ok for now!) Ah well.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
I'll pop back on this thread in about 6 years =)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2015, 09:35:54 AM »
Ups and downs folks. A couple bad choices can totally kill your plans. Building up that bank account is good insurance, and falling off the wagon is never permanent, but you are always a car crash, cancer diagnosis, or natural disaster away from ruin. Man, am I ever a killjoy.

At 20 - NW around $7,000 - Bought first house, worked for $11/hr in a chrome plate plant. Thought I had the world by the short & hairies.
At 25 - NW exactly $2500 - Newly divorced, sold house & came away with $2500. No assets, working in a machine shop for $15/hr, suddenly raising a kid alone.
At 30 - NW around $25000 - Attending Engineering program in College, had a micro-house. Life is Good! Debt beginning to be a factor.
At 35 - NW around -$250,000 - Remarried, bought a 'Real house' and got a 'Career' after graduation. Joined yacht club, bought a small boat, having tonnes of fun, trips abroad, Yee Haaa!! Also student loans. Salary up to $55,000 Thought I was on top of the world when I was actually in a sinking ship.
At 40 - NW about the same. Discovered MMM, making changes. Salary growth remarkable. Savings increasing. Maybe too late for FIRE, but I'm trying for a 10 yr schedule.

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2015, 04:40:49 PM »
Currently 28 and my net worth is a hair over 500K.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2015, 04:52:26 PM »
Negative due to my student loan debt and the fact that we had moved and were starting from scratch again.

Now that the debt is gone and we have been piling cash into savings and investments, NW is well into positive territory just a few years later.

TL8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
Just about $300K. Married, relatively high-earning DINK couple. Not fully Mustachian but I have always been strongly anti-debt and a bit of a saver. Wife is equally anti-debt but not really a saver.

Rough estimates at the end of the year:
26: -$45K (all debt is student loans; started work after graduate school)
27: $20K
28: $125K
29: $300K (left job, invested about $50K in starting a business)
30: $300K (just about broke even in the first year after living expenses)
31: $340K
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:47:54 PM by TL8 »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »
At 30 years old I was still a graduate student making $11k/year.  My net worth was about $20k, split roughly 50/50 between a Roth IRA and a checking account.

edit: note that 8 years later it's over a million dollars and rising at an alarming rate.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:49:15 PM by sol »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »
I wasn't tracking it at 30, because there was nothing to speak of. I had a house and two cars but no equity - some were even negative. I was such a dumbass.

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »
About $300,000 back in 2003, or around $380k in inflation adjusted dollars.

Mike

GuyinTexas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 5Xed my Net Worth in 10 Years. Thanks MMM.
    • Debt Free Alpha
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2015, 01:00:22 AM »
When I turned 30 it was about -29k not including the townhouse I no longer own.
32 now and it's closer to -9k. I bought a new car in 2014 for a "good" deal but still it's money I owe...
Getting rid of my student loan in 2016 and that makes up more than 45% of my total debt right now.
Trying to move up the ranks professionally but my income has been pretty flat.

arpies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2015, 02:49:49 AM »
18 months ago, when I turned 30. I was -$20k or so, in my 2nd year of college. Hit my low mark at -$35 immediately post-graduation in July. Now I'm at about -$24 again.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2015, 08:33:01 AM »
Not 30 yet.  Hope to make it to $1MM+ by that point.  About 5 years out.

Ambitious!! I like it =)

microscopes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
No option for me in the poll.

24: 50k
25: 200k
26: 400k
27: 600k
28: 775k

I predict I will be around 1.1-1.2M by 30.

This is impressive.
Could you tell me how you accomplished it?

MisterTwoForty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: December 27, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »
I am 30, wife is 31.  I just ran the #'s and we are at about $260K.

Just this year I started setting yearly goals and have seen the #'s start to climb more rapidly.  Living with purpose.

Dan_Breakfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BREAK FREE
« Reply #198 on: December 27, 2015, 09:16:55 PM »
When I turned 30 our net worth was $308k and the day before I turned 31 it was $446k thanks to a strong market and realized gains when we sold our house. When I turned 31 in 2013, we just started our round the world trip and we were in New Zealand - those were the days!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2015, 08:52:52 AM »
I have to ask, because it looks sooooo familiar.  Is this an rrdtool graph?
Oops. Missed this back when you asked. It's just Excel, filled in manually.