Poll

What was your net worth at 30 years old?

Negative, I was still in debt!
$0-50k
$50-100k
$100-200k
$200-300k

Author Topic: What was your net worth at 30 years old?  (Read 148455 times)

EcoCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What was your net worth at 30 years old?
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2016, 11:00:44 PM »
Short Version: 60k (CAD).

Longish Version (of a more everyman scenario?):
Everyone's path is very different. Myself, I came from a single parent family, that was running their own business and keeping the house/food on the table was a concern that I was aware of before I was 10y old. We lived in an affluent town but were on the poor side in it so I sort of snubbed money/possessions early on and this mentality has continued except now I'm smarter and want to use money to fund the modest-ish life I want.

That being said myself and my GF  (now Wife) didn't really start our careers until 27. We were both savers but we saved to have big adventures and were not very investment savvy, this is something we are working on this year actually. We could both have been way further ahead than we are but we had a lot of fun and met each other so it was worth it IMO. My biggest blunder was wasting time trying to figure out a career path - I didn't take it seriously enough when I was younger.

My story sums up like this:

19 - Had no idea what I wanted to do after High School. Chose a random UNI/program and forced myself to go.

20 - Went to UNI for one year - hated program. Left after completing 1st year.

21 - Decided to stay in school but switched to a local college (save $ / live at home - figure life out).

22 1/2 - Finished 2y program in 1.5 years (used credits form Y1 Uni to finish early). Program helped me get in to next school as I got my act together and grades skyrocketed. Went to Europe for a month for life adventure (Save then spend).

23 - Figured out the general field I wanted to be in started at New Uni for a 4y program.

23-27 - Worked hard during summers to pay for school. Part time during school. (1 summer amazing adventure - minimal saving)

27 - Finish School (huzzah) and start working - crappy salary but foot in the door. Approx 10k in debt for school.

28 - WTF major health issue (not life threatening but causes major issues and requires surgery - basically incapacitated for 3/4 of year.) Lose a year of work / job is good about benefits but we part ways. Pay off 10k in debt.

29 - Start working and saving again. Marry GF (Amazing but ouch all savings from work disappear). Move across the ocean to new job (Relocation $$). Takes wife 5 months to find work, once work is found our savings kick in to high gear.

30 - Managed to start the year positive and end the year at 60k.

Now 31 and have finally hit the 100k+ mark and by the time I turn 32 we'll be hovering near 150k.

The next daunting challenge is age 33..... we hope to be starting a family which means dropping back down to one income, thankfully in our current situation we *should* still be able to save 50k-70k/y while the wife is not working. General plan is to be mortgage free by 40 with modest investments and then ramp up investments.

Life has been interesting that's for sure. I've always been Mustachian but the MMM influence is definitely helping prepare for the next 30-40-50years.

Cheers,
EcoCanuck
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:02:15 PM by EcoCanuck »

PathToFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2016, 08:33:10 AM »
I'm envious of some of the replies from people who are/were stacking it pretty deep by age 30.  I had to think back 13 years to recall where we were at 30. 
I guesstimate 150K. 
Our combined earned income was <75K but we started trickling money into stocks at age 25 and were able to buy our own modest house and 2 duplexes as rentals with 20% down payments.

The 13 years since hitting 30 have been full of ups and downs (lost job, lived abroad 3 years, sold the rentals) but I like to think we are back on track.

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
This thread is motivating the hell out of me.

Currently 27 and ~175k

Wife just started making real money for the first time ever and I think the next couple of years are going to be great for us savings-wise.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
you need more options!

I'm turning 30 this year, should be ~360K (including my apartment). Just found MMM this past winter but have been relatively frugal and high earning regardless.

randommadness

• Stubble
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
I'll be 30 this year, and while I could get away with inflating my #'s I think by $30-60k based on some supposed Redfin/Zillow estimates, I'll leave them be.

I'm in between $130-$140k.

SyZ

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »
Legitimate question: is there a point to this thread other than to brag?

I'm curious what knowledge I'm meant to glean by chain reading how people had $432,152 NW at 30

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
I'm envious of some of the replies from people who are/were stacking it pretty deep by age 30.

Me too!  At age 30, I was worth MAYBE $10K?  And that was even after stashing away 10-15% of my pay (as common advice dictates) like a good, little squirrel for my whole working career.  This thread pisses me off so much, I don't ever want to see it again!  ...Not because of you folks, you're great, but because I was stupid enough to follow "common advice" until I found this site in 2012.  I'm a total free-thinker, good at math, and still can't believe I didn't come up with the 50%/retire early thing on my own.  While I know the world was looking out for my best interests by saying to save 15%, their advice sucks donkey balls.

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
You will be happier if you don't compare yourself to others.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »

I'm curious what knowledge I'm meant to glean by chain reading how people had $432,152 NW at 30

I view this thread as people writing down their origin stories. It would be different if people just listed the number, but most people responding type up at least a sketch of a story.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »
North of $1 mil at 30, but it was mostly business and real estate assets, not much liquid.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
You will be happier if you don't compare yourself to others.

Fair enough, but I think there's value in reminding yourself you're not the only one who hasn't bought in to the education at all costs, consume everything, you deserve it lifestyle.  When I hang out with my colleagues too much, I start thinking that I too can afford a car/should go out to dinner more often/deserve a trip to Japan/etc.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
I'll be 30 on May 7. I have $500 in my savings account, $1,422 in savings, and $36,614 in various investments. Not great, but not terrible.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2016, 12:32:05 PM »

If you scroll back to my post, I said near zero.  Not sure that was bragging. 

I'd say the point is "Look at the folks that had almost nothing (or negative) at 30 and look where they are FIRE many years later.  This is totally doable.  You've got this."

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2016, 01:09:44 PM »

If you scroll back to my post, I said near zero.  Not sure that was bragging. 

I'd say the point is "Look at the folks that had almost nothing (or negative) at 30 and look where they are FIRE many years later.  This is totally doable.  You've got this."

its also a good post to show new people that may be starting in their early 20s what they could have by 30.  Its not really bragging, its also a poll of the site to see where people are

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
Being 25 with a NW of around $300k (200k being cash/investments) I think I will be nearing a million when I turn 30. Adding around 100k/year assuming 0 growth I will hit 800k...

I didn't vote for that reason.

SyZ

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: April 12, 2016, 02:53:55 PM »
If I don't screw up life in the next year, I can probably be out of debt, at which point I'll be 32.5 years old, have maybe 25k in my 401(k), and roughly 3k in savings. If I don't find something amazing, I'll still be in CA with an average apartment in my area costing $1,300. Quick math off the top of my head without doing any actual numbers shows that if I continue to live exceptionally below my means, I can maybe have 500k at 40?

Which also completely forgoes having a wife, children, vacationing, spending anything on luxuries, or really having a purpose in life. But I suppose if that trajectory continues I can retire by 50 at the latest? So there's that

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2016, 04:46:24 PM »
Since we don't want to compare ourselves to others.
http://www.shnugi.com/networth-percentile-calculator/?min_age=20&max_age=85&networth=360000

50th percentile:
@20 $3,500
@30 $19,950
@40 $38,500
@50 $133,710
@60 $142,580
@70 $234,500
@80 $191,000

Oh, and this is household net worth, last I checked the average household size in the US was around 2.5 people.

I was about Zero, but after going back to school in my early 30's ended up about -48K by 36.  Pretty impressive, I know.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:50:51 PM by Classical_Liberal »

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2016, 04:49:23 PM »
The jump between 40 and 50 is interesting.  Is it specific to that generation?  Or maybe it's something about the average age of kids during that time?  (too old for presschool/baby sitting, but not receiving support for college?)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »
I came from a frugal family. We never ate out. Parents taught me how to save. They let me use a car for 2 years. Then gave me 2k towards whatever I wanted to buy.  I got ~10k from them for college and the rest was scholarships and working in the summers. I'm an engineer so low cost state school and high earning potential.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »
We were six figures in the red two years ago when I was 30. Now we're five in the black, on track to be six in the black early next year. Turned that shit all around

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2016, 12:00:52 AM »
A thing not much mentioned in this thread is that if you were doing well at 30 anytime in the past (like let's just say you were positive at 2009's conclusion and had anything invested) then you are doing really well right now.  Let's just say I was 135k in mid 2009 and 30, but staying the course, I am easily 500k+ now.  This is MMM's case, his success spreads like wildfire since the market has consistently rewarded savers since then.  If you invested in March 2009 and held until today, you are up 3+ x, which is huge for 7 years.

I only say this because bonds used to be a 'loser alternative' at 5 - 9% safe (e.g. moderate inflation).  CD's gave a good inflation adjusted return too.  But, not anymore.  So I don't understand why folks think that  equities will continue to yield outsize gains going forward if safe or fixed assets (the alternative) are zero expected.

TL;DR  So, if you are 30 just today, I'm telling you that your NW is skewed high vs. MMM had his 625k at 2008/9 timeframe (S&P at 667 + low Real Estate valuations).

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2016, 05:19:23 AM »
I believe I was at about $200k net worth at 30, including home equity. I had help from parents in that they got me part time jobs at the companies they worked for, and those jobs carried on through college. I moved out when I went to college and paid for all living expenses and college fees myself, by working those jobs. I started working at 14 during the summers, and in college worked summers and two days a week at those jobs till I got my first "real" job at 23.

My parents also thought me fairly good money skills - basically, save a bit and never go into debt. I had no student loans, and didn't even have a credit card until I was 23 or 24. I remember feeling very adult about it, like in a "with power comes responsibility" kind of way. My mom talked me into opening an rrsp at 19 when I had 2k saved and wanted to go on a trip. The mmm side of me approves of this choice, but looking back, maybe the trip would have been good too.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: April 13, 2016, 06:27:39 AM »
It's hard to build net worth if you're battling debt.
The notion that everyone has to go to college is a bad one.  Going straight out of high school into college and burying yourself in debt to pay for it starts you off at a serious disadvantage. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: April 13, 2016, 06:34:10 AM »
This is an older thread, but it sure would have been nice for it to have requested "net worth at age 30 in 2016 dollars."

Plenty of folks on this forum are 50+ and their net worth at 30 could very well be lower in absolute dollars and higher in purchasing power than anyone recently turning 30.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2016, 08:13:40 AM »
This is an older thread, but it sure would have been nice for it to have requested "net worth at age 30 in 2016 dollars."

Plenty of folks on this forum are 50+ and their net worth at 30 could very well be lower in absolute dollars and higher in purchasing power than anyone recently turning 30.

Fair. NW numbers also don't adjust for pensions (which you have to value somehow, and probably much higher 30 years ago then now, given solvency issues abounding everywhere) or the possibility of SS payouts (i'm 29 and am discounting SS to 25%, which I don't think is unnecessarily bearish.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2016, 08:17:09 AM »

It's less than six months old.  Have you seen that much inflation in the past 6 months?  I think people that used 2015 dollars, say, 5 months ago, are "close enough" to today.  It's not Zimbabwe here.  :P

Your point about asking people to adjust for inflation from whenever they did retire is a good one, but would be relevant whenever this poll was posted.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »
Fair. NW numbers also don't adjust for pensions (which you have to value somehow, and probably much higher 30 years ago then now, given solvency issues abounding everywhere) or the possibility of SS payouts (i'm 29 and am discounting SS to 25%, which I don't think is unnecessarily bearish.

SS & Pensions should not have anything to do with net worth.  They are income.
The only instance you would count a pension as net worth would be if it has a "cash out" value where you could take cash in lieu of the pension.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »

SS & Pensions should not have anything to do with net worth.  They are income.
The only instance you would count a pension as net worth would be if it has a "cash out" value where you could take cash in lieu of the pension.

Sure, but it seems like this thread is really asking what financial position you were in at 30.  if you paid in to a pension (or didn't but were expecting benefits anyway), that seems relevant, especially in light of arebelspy's discussion of differences between people hitting 30 in 2016 versus 1976.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
Well we aren't quite 30 yet, but me and the wife together are a little over 200k at 26. So it would be about the same as just over 100k individually.

I didn't vote due to the fact we aren't anywhere near 30 yet, but I would suspect it would be over 300k shared at least by 30 unless something unexpected happens.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:18 AM »
I love some of the numbers people posted on the difference from 30-40. So exciting to see the progress that can be made in those 10 years.

DH and I turn 35 this year and are probably at 215k or so but this is his first year in a real, salaried full time job with benefits after spending all of his 20s and early 30s as a professional student. On top of that one of the benefits is subsidized daycare so we could see our daycare bill drop by 10k next year!!!!

We'll never post the numbers that DINKs can, but I bet we can raise our numbers substantially by the time we're 36.

Thanks all for sharing your stories!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
At 18 I had a NW of about $3,000 from mowing yards.  That would be about $13,000 in today's dollars.

At 30 my wife and I were living on about 1/3 the median family income.  Our NW was whatever that $3,000 had grown to over the last 12 years because we didn't touch it.  I doubt it was much more than that because it wasn't properly invested.  I think it was in a savings account.

It wasn't until I turned 31 that I got a good paying job that got us to median family income.  At that point my wife quit work and went to college in her 40s.

She didn't have a good paying job for over a decade because she went on for a doctorate.   

We went over the $1M mark last December at age 58.

Had we known what we learned from MMM 28 years ago we would have millions.   Our NW grew by leaps and bounds over the last two and 1/2 years.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »
Ten years ago when I finished my PhD at 29, our NW was -48k. I had 16k in student loans, and we borrowed 32k from the in-laws for a down payment on our first house (which needed a 6k new roof in the first year) and to furnish said house. We were both starting our first real (non-student) jobs with starting salaries of 65k. Fortunately, the previous decade of living as students taught us to be frugal and we paid off all debt except the mortgage in our first year of working. Ten years later at 39, our net worth is now ~950k. I frankly don’t even know how this is possible because we went through some pretty serious lifestyle inflation (bigger house, went from one car to two cars, and replaced our 12 year old car with a brand new one), we traveled to exotic locales, we had two kids who are both currently in daycare ($$$), and my salary was reduced to 30% during two yearlong parental leaves. I only wish I had discovered MMM 10 years ago instead of last year! Hopefully this can provide some inspiration to those who feel like they are starting late (cj25, SyZ?). Even with getting our first real jobs at 30 and starting with a negative net worth, we are doing reasonably well 10 years later.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »
MOD NOTE: Split off cj25's sidetrack on how it was possible to get a high NW by 30, and replies, to a new thread:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/cj25-compares-self-to-others/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CodAlmighty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2016, 04:20:10 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a new mustachian and I'm also new to this forum. (In fact this is my first post).

Although I've never had any large debts such as student loans, throughout my early to mid-twenties I had a couple of credit cards on which I allowed the balances to accumulate. I also wasted a fair amount of money leasing cars that I shouldn't have.

When I was 26 my girlfriend and I bought our first house for £250k ($350k) with a 20% deposit, most of which I had saved myself over the last four years, and the rest I had borrowed from a relative. This house is now worth £370k ($520k). Combined with my small amount of savings and my girlfriend's pension contributions so far, I estimate our NW to be around $280k. So by luck more than anything else my NW is around $140k.

Since I started following MMM in September last year I have destroyed my two credit card debts and have almost saved up a decent emergency fund. My car lease terminated last month, and I am currently sharing what was previously our second car with my girlfriend. Once I've finished the emergency fund I'll be ready to start my 'stache. I'm 29 so my target for this time next year is to increase my NW to $170k ($340k combined).

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2016, 04:56:04 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a new mustachian and I'm also new to this forum. (In fact this is my first post).

Although I've never had any large debts such as student loans, throughout my early to mid-twenties I had a couple of credit cards on which I allowed the balances to accumulate. I also wasted a fair amount of money leasing cars that I shouldn't have.

When I was 26 my girlfriend and I bought our first house for £250k ($350k) with a 20% deposit, most of which I had saved myself over the last four years, and the rest I had borrowed from a relative. This house is now worth £370k ($520k). Combined with my small amount of savings and my girlfriend's pension contributions so far, I estimate our NW to be around $280k. So by luck more than anything else my NW is around $140k.

Since I started following MMM in September last year I have destroyed my two credit card debts and have almost saved up a decent emergency fund. My car lease terminated last month, and I am currently sharing what was previously our second car with my girlfriend. Once I've finished the emergency fund I'll be ready to start my 'stache. I'm 29 so my target for this time next year is to increase my NW to $170k ($340k combined).

Congrats on the 'stache! Impressive NW Cod. And, of course, welcome to the forum!

lampstache

• Stubble
« Reply #235 on: April 14, 2016, 12:17:14 PM »
I'm 29, DW is 26. I make 75k and we've been single income household the last 2.5 years while the DW has been pursuing her RN degree. Two kids. We're in the red, but I feel pretty good considering where we're coming from. And, we'll be in a great position to tackle debt and increase investments when she's working.

The good:
30k in 401k, mutual funds, stock
30k in house equity
$60k assets

The bad:
167k mortgage

The ugly:
90k school loans when she graduates in December

Total
-197k! Yikes!

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: April 14, 2016, 01:02:21 PM »
Lampstache you are not doing as bad as you thought.  Unless the value of your house is only 30k, by your numbers having 30k in equity will mean its value is 197k.  This would offset your mortgage meaning your total net worth is only -30k!

It looks to me like you are in a great position to knock out your debt and invest once she starts working.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: April 14, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
I'm 29, DW is 26. I make 75k and we've been single income household the last 2.5 years while the DW has been pursuing her RN degree. Two kids. We're in the red, but I feel pretty good considering where we're coming from. And, we'll be in a great position to tackle debt and increase investments when she's working.

The good:
30k in 401k, mutual funds, stock
30k in house equity
$60k assets

The bad:
167k mortgage

The ugly:
90k school loans when she graduates in December

Total
-197k! Yikes!
Proud Foot is correct...you are counting your mortgage twice in this calculation
You should calculate it like this:

401k - 30k
Equity - 30k
S. Loans - -90k
Total NW = -30k

---or, like this---

401k - 30k
home value - 197k
mortgage - -167k
S. Loans - -90k
Total NW = -30k

spud1987

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: April 14, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »
No option for me in the poll.

24: 50k
25: 200k
26: 400k
27: 600k
28: 775k

I predict I will be around 1.1-1.2M by 30.

This is impressive.
Could you tell me how you accomplished it?

Nothing too impressive. My wife and I (combined figures are used above) spend quite a bit, but our savings rate is high due to our high salaries (law for me, medical device sales for her). Investments are all in equities/bonds, with the exception of a 150k rental condo that we used to live in but never sold because of the housing downturn. Our goal is to be FI by 33-34, which is early but it could be earlier if we spent less.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #239 on: April 14, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
No option for me in the poll.

24: 50k
25: 200k
26: 400k
27: 600k
28: 775k

I predict I will be around 1.1-1.2M by 30.

This is impressive.
Could you tell me how you accomplished it?

Nothing too impressive. My wife and I (combined figures are used above) spend quite a bit, but our savings rate is high due to our high salaries (law for me, medical device sales for her). Investments are all in equities/bonds, with the exception of a 150k rental condo that we used to live in but never sold because of the housing downturn. Our goal is to be FI by 33-34, which is early but it could be earlier if we spent less.

I would call $1.1-1.2M at 30 VERY impressive any way you slice it Spud =)

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: April 14, 2016, 04:11:44 PM »
At 30 I had a nice Volkswagen, quite the load of climbing gear, and about $4,000, maybe.

JrDoctor

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »
Sitting around the £110k mark at 26, got very lucky with the stock market circa 2008/9, have had more than a few stocks go up 600%.  So far in my first year of being a doctor I've saved £12k or my £24k post tax wage, made about £10k on the stock market.  Aim is for around £200k by 30, planning on filling my ISA consistently each year and moving into property.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »
I just had my 30th, and Mint says my net worth is $26,000.  Mostly 401k with some cash savings, too.  In the past two years I've had my pay increased 45%, and become debt free.  I'm looking forward to a net worth of close to $50k by age 31, and continuing up from there.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2016, 06:03:53 PM »
I'll be 30 on May 7. I have $500 in my savings account, $1,422 in savings, and $36,614 in various investments. Not great, but not terrible.

Do you realize that a very large percentage of Americans 60 to 65 do not have even $25,000 in savings?

Or that another very large percentage of Americans who are working could not come up with $2000 in cash (that is not owed for bills that month), even given a month to do it?

You aren't even 30 and you've already done better than a lot of Americans ever did by age 65!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #244 on: April 14, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »

Do you realize that a very large percentage of Americans 60 to 65 do not have even $25,000 in savings?

Or that another very large percentage of Americans who are working could not come up with $2000 in cash (that is not owed for bills that month), even given a month to do it?

You aren't even 30 and you've already done better than a lot of Americans ever did by age 65!

Perspective, I love it!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2016, 06:15:18 AM »
Mine was actually a bit higher than the max of your poll at right around $350K at age 30.  At age 42 it is close to $550K.  That includes mortgage debts etc...  I'm projecting to hit 1M by around age 50 between my mortgage being paid off plus retirement accounts.  There is also a decent chance of a pretty big (low to mid six figure) windfall from my husband's business, but I don't count on that because there is a lot of risk there.  Basically, I will either retire around age 55 with enough money for a good lifestyle, or enough money for a ludicrous lifestyle.  :) 

lampstache

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2016, 06:39:40 AM »
Lampstache you are not doing as bad as you thought.  Unless the value of your house is only 30k, by your numbers having 30k in equity will mean its value is 197k.  This would offset your mortgage meaning your total net worth is only -30k!

It looks to me like you are in a great position to knock out your debt and invest once she starts working.

Thanks for the correction and education Proud Foot! Well that makes me feel a whole lot better! I've been looking at it wrong for years...

pjleonhardt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2016, 07:27:49 AM »
Turning 30 this weekend; was $103k at the start of the month.

Started on my track to FI/RE about 3 years ago and had a NW of about $10k at the time, so I'm pretty happy the progress so far!

Aus_Stashington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2016, 06:32:54 AM »
26: -$50,000 (2 degree's)

I'll update in 4 years time lol. But holy god, who are some of you people who have accumulated 500k+ by 30, that is madness!

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2016, 08:45:33 AM »
At 30, NW was $0.

At 49, combined household NW (with husband) is just shy of $800K (including home equity).

It's fairly astounding to look back over that progression--I'd never really put those numbers together before, as I just really started tracking net worth in my "household dashboard" file in early 2015--but thanks to Quicken, I had the data available and was able to pull it together.  We'll be knocking on the door of the Double Comma Club in a few years, and if you'd asked me if I thought I'd EVER be there when I was 30, I'd have doubled over laughing. 

Gotta share the Four Yorkshiremen sketch at this point:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:55:33 PM by Zoot »