Author Topic: What perks does your job provide for you?  (Read 8856 times)

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What perks does your job provide for you?
« on: December 31, 2018, 06:02:05 AM »
I am just curious.  What sort of perks?  Bonuses anyone?  If so, how large and what percent of income?

I'll begin with myself.  I am a Federal employee, so the perks are few.  If I had to really think about this, I would say my perks are that which is provided to me that used to also be provided to private industry and has been eroded.

Namely:

A pension.  The ability (now) to retire under FERS at age 57.  BTW, CSRS employees had it far better, in the '90's and '00's, MANY walked out the door not long after their 55th birthdays.

The ability to sock away $18,500 ($19,000 starting tomorrow) tax free towards retirement.  $6000 more the year you turn 50 and beyond.

26 days vacation after 15 yrs in.

Used to be decent pay increases.  Averaged 3.29% annually under Clinton, and 3.54% annually under the second Bush.  These have been greatly diminished in the last decade.

Not much else.  A bonus every Christmas would be nice, but the RARE occasion Uncle Sam gives a bonus, it's really an insult.  Something like $500 before taxes, and could happen anytime RARELY and has nothing to do with any time of the year.

Health insurance--only okay, definitely not free, at best, partially subsidized.

So, I guess the "perk" is keeping the faith and knowing I can get out of the rat race at a younger age than most with a pension.  Definitely a long range plan for perks.

BTW, I never in a million years thought I would be a Federal employee.  I didn't have any other viable options.  I would not recommend it today--unless you do not have other options.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What perks does your job provide for you?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 06:41:30 AM »
Big Tech employee here:

I got a signing bonus that was $25k cash and the same in company stock that vests over 5 years.

Generally our bonus is 10-20% of salary in cash and similar in stock. Like the signing bonus you get the cash immediately and the stock vests. If you do a good job you can also get an additional cash bonus.

50% 401k match up to the federal max, so if I put in 18k they pay 9k.

$800/year for fitness equipment. It's a little lame in that you buy something and then they reimburse as income (you get taxed twice) but it's still free money. You can also take a gym membership but I don't live near any of the gyms and I'd rather buy bike parts, ski passes, etc.

Stock purchase plan, we can defer up to 15% of our base salary to purchase 10% discounted company stock quarterly.

Our health plan options are varied but all very good. I do an HSA and the company dumps $2500/yr into the account.

There might be some minor things but those are the big ones. Had I known it was like this I'd have gone to work for a big tech company way earlier in my career.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:58:06 PM by big_slacker »

JenWins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »
50% 401k match up to 10%.
Bonuses twice a year: usually 3-5k
Decent health/dental
20 paid days off per year, at least until I hit 5 years. I was also able to get away with extra days last year unpaid.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »
Ok, I'll play.

I am a public servant in Denmark.

I guess my state-run perks are:

- Free healthcare
- Free education

My current job as a public servant has the following perks.

- 30 days of paid vacation
- Paid sick days
- A very healthy 401k (17% of my salary, all paid from my employer)
- Flexible working hours
- 30 minutes paid lunch every day.
- Paid overtime (I get to take time off)

I don't have a child but if I had I would also get:

- The childs first and second sick days (no limit)
- 5 child-caring days

I even have a competitive salary compared to the private sector. I don't make as much, but my perks more than make up for that. Especially my 401k.

Ohh and I did I mention the option of working from home when I need it.

All in all it's a great place to work. I also have interesting tasks and co-workers that I really like.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 12:23:15 PM »
I work in IT for a not-for-profit organization in Arizona.  The perks include:
  • 13 paid holidays and 15 days vacation a year
  • Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents
  • $50-a-month employer contribution to employee health savings accounts
  • 4% 401(k) match that is immediately vested
  • 6% once-a-year 401(k) contribution that fully vests after 4 years
  • covered parking, which is a BIG plus in the sunny climate of Southern Arizona
  • bicycle parking and a shower
  • Flexible working hours
  • The organization promises, and largely delivers, 40-hour work week

the cheapining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »
My job gives me tons of work,a 70 week is bording on slow.Last year the boss gave ma 2016 fully loaded gmc z71 4 door truck for personal use.The catch is dont ask for a raise and when the phone rings at 2am sunday get to work and dont complain when a job is 4 days straight with no sleep.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »
Higher Ed Professional

University contributes equivalent of 10% of my salary to my 403(b).  They require employees to put 5% of their own money into the 403(b) as well, but of course I max out and am well above 5.

Tuition waiver for employees and spouses (3 credits per semester).

Tuition waiver for children ($26,000 per year for each child up to 4 years to attend our university or any other).

Very good health insurance.

Three weeks vacation, four weeks after 10 years served (doesn’t include two week Xmas break).

We have a brand new gym that we use for free (indoor track, pool, basketball courts, rock climbing, etc) - it’s stunning.

Free tickets to most athletic events on campus - discounts for football and MBB.

On-site daycare (not free but subsidized and quality).

On-site summer camp for children (not free, partially subsidized but tremendously valuable).

Numerous educational/cultural/family events.

Adoption benefit (I haven’t used it but I know it’s quite generous)

Four weeks paid leave for newborns.

Some employee friendly discounts with local companies.  Nothing spectacular, but maybe some people find useful.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 03:46:27 PM »
My small company got bought out by a large company and I lost some 401k, and bonuses, but not vacation.   They also had at least one time wasting CYA training requirement (as in regulations that did not apply) per month.
I went to a new small company one year ago.

• 4 weeks vacation
  • 10 holidays
  • life insurance, disability
  • 5% 401k
  • no useless paperwork exercises
  • no bonuses
  • no paycheck deductions for benefits
  • One company activity followed by nice Christmas dinner
  • No useless performance report process,  just lunch with owner and year end raise

The owner made up for 2% 401k loss, 1 week vacation loss by increasing base salary,   he also cashed out unneeded health plan.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
Also a fed...

I can think of two more-- double time for overtime (but no weekend or night differential).  A schedule that is horrible for most people, especially those with young children, but perfect for me and great for travel (I work a rotating 12 hour shift on a somewhat unique schedule).

And, if they don't go away before I can retire, the social security supplement and health insurance into retirement.

Another location got mad that we still got bottled water supplied to us (5 gallon jugs), and they don't, so they tried to take it away.  However, when the tap water frequently tests positive for ecoli and other nasty stuff, you get to keep the bottled water.

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 05:54:55 PM »
How do you get double time for overtime?  I only get time and a half.  I get double time for holidays, but you will already get paid for the holiday anyways so it's really straight time on top of the Holiday.  That's why if it's a Holiday weekend, Monday Holiday, and you have the option of working any of the three days, Saturday or Sunday are the better options.

Comparing what you and I get compared to many of the other responses, I now better understand why the Federal government is the employer of last resort.  The younger generations don't want compensation relative to their peers which equates to little more than a joke, these days.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 06:27:42 PM »
How do you get double time for overtime?  I only get time and a half.  I get double time for holidays, but you will already get paid for the holiday anyways so it's really straight time on top of the Holiday.  That's why if it's a Holiday weekend, Monday Holiday, and you have the option of working any of the three days, Saturday or Sunday are the better options.

I'm in Trades and Crafts, so WB, not GS.  Our grades don't have steps, so everyone makes the same unless they are a working foreman, supervisor, etc (and then all those versions make the same).  So that, and overtime, are two of the differences I can think of off the top of my head.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 06:38:05 PM »
Private Sector, small business

My job got me a remote office so I don’t have to commute far or spend money on commute.
Bonus of 40-45% of my salary for meeting certain work benchmarks (it’s really just that a large part of my compensation is tied to performance and is backloaded to the end of the year to prevent me from leaving)
No retirement plan.
20 paid days off per year that I’ll never be able to use.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
I am just curious.  What sort of perks?  Bonuses anyone?  If so, how large and what percent of income?

I'll begin with myself.  I am a Federal employee, so the perks are few.  If I had to really think about this, I would say my perks are that which is provided to me that used to also be provided to private industry and has been eroded.

Namely:

A pension.  The ability (now) to retire under FERS at age 57.  BTW, CSRS employees had it far better, in the '90's and '00's, MANY walked out the door not long after their 55th birthdays.

The ability to sock away $18,500 ($19,000 starting tomorrow) tax free towards retirement.  $6000 more the year you turn 50 and beyond.

Used to be decent pay increases.  Averaged 3.29% annually under Clinton, and 3.54% annually under the second Bush.  These have been greatly diminished in the last decade.

Not much else.  A bonus every Christmas would be nice, but the RARE occasion Uncle Sam gives a bonus, it's really an insult.  Something like $500 before taxes, and could happen anytime RARELY and has nothing to do with any time of the year.

Health insurance--only okay, definitely not free, at best, partially subsidized.

So, I guess the "perk" is keeping the faith and knowing I can get out of the rat race at a younger age than most with a pension.  Definitely a long range plan for perks.

BTW, I never in a million years thought I would be a Federal employee.  I didn't have any other viable options.  I would not recommend it today--unless you do not have other options.

Gosh, you hate on Federal Government jobs a lot.  Most of the professionals in my field that work for the government are effusive about their work life balance and the fact that don’t ever really work more than 45 hours in a week but still pull down high five figure and low six figure compensation.  The health insurance and retirement benefits are really good too arent they?  There are also a lot of days off (all the little federal holidays that only government employees and teachers actually get to enjoy).  I’m just surprised because your description is totally opposite of the description from a great many friends.

givemesunshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 06:56:28 PM »
Australian State employee, we get;
- 12.75% employer contribution to Super (retirement savings) if we contribute 5%
- Ability to Salary Sacrifice (pre-tax) more to retirement up to a $25K annual limit
- 5 weeks holiday
- Long Service Leave (13 weeks every 10 years)
- Paid sick leave/carers leave
- Average maternity/paternity (could be better)
- Flexible start and finish times (very autonomous as long as the work gets done)
- Conference attendance/PD opportunities
- Decent pay
- Time off for 'overtime' if arranged in advance
- free gym access

I'd love to get;
- Subsidised Private Health Insurance
- Ability to salary sacrifice living expenses
- Bonuses for good performance

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 07:16:33 PM »
The biggest perk is that I get to work with young people and see the joy and excitement in their eyes when they master a skill or concept that has been challenging and difficult for them to understand. 

Other perks.  I finally make a decent salary after teaching 29 years and getting multiple endorsements and certificates in my area of study.  I have decent health insurance.  I will get a decent retirement benefit when I retire.  I get 8-9 weeks off in the summer to recoup and rejuvenate, spend time with family, take classes to improve my skill set, and maybe take a short road trip. 

It’s been a challenging career but one that I’ve enjoyed immensely and feel great pride in having made a difference in the lives of my students.  I will die knowing that I have left the world a better place. 

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »

Namely:

Gosh, you hate on Federal Government jobs a lot.  Most of the professionals in my field that work for the government are effusive about their work life balance and the fact that don’t ever really work more than 45 hours in a week but still pull down high five figure and low six figure compensation.  The health insurance and retirement benefits are really good too arent they?  There are also a lot of days off (all the little federal holidays that only government employees and teachers actually get to enjoy).  I’m just surprised because your description is totally opposite of the description from a great many friends.

Yes and no.  I have not really known anything else, other than dead end private jobs, at low wages, so, in that sense, the Federal government is most excellent.  On the other hand, you see what others get, and it's definitely back end loaded.  I think my salary is decent, I have lived frugally and socked a bunch away.  But that's a lifestyle choice.  And, it takes locality pay and 23 yrs in to make high five figures.  Not bad, it's not just the absolute killing I expected to make right out the door (obviously elsewhere).  I think I brew and stew about stuff to the point where it pisses me off.  For example, there's a ton of shoreline in this country (but being a Federal employee, the mid Atlantic coast would be most desirable).  Given how much there is, it's hard to believe how developed it is.  Walking distance to the beach is expensive.  Last I noted, it's pretty much privately owned.  Don't know any Federal employees able to plop down $1 to $10 million for these places.  Obviously, lots of folks do it.  Where do they get the money from?  Federal government doesn't pay enough to so it.

I think I am a bit of a dichotomy.  Not manic depressive, but maybe I spend too much time dwelling on fantasy vs reality.

Reality is, I earn a decent salary, can live modestly, and still manage to put a fair amount in the stock market.

Fantasy is, I have an employer who pays me gobs of money, doesn't really worry about what I do or where I'm at, which is a good thing because I'm out putting those gobs of money to good use, and expensive hobbies sure can eat up a lot of my time.  Beach houses and the like, I guess.

I think the reality is I do okay, but if I pick up a Wall Street Journal or watch TV, it feels like sometimes everyone else out there is far wealthier than I.

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 08:53:11 PM »
Well, I'm self-employed, and don't make a lot of income, but my job comes with one amazing perk:

My wardrobe!

I'm a knitwear designer, which means that I knit and crochet.  A lot.  And I get free yarn.  Very often.  So my wardrobe is made of a lot of hand-made things, many of which I didn't pay the cost of the yarn for! 

Since I'm usually making my samples for me and to my size (since I'm my own model), I end up with lots of nice, well-made clothing!  :D

Other perks include: 
- a pretty much completely flexible schedule -- if I want to go do a thing, I'm responsible to no one but myself.  As long as stuff gets done when it needs to get done, it doesn't matter when I do the work! 
- a general lack of commuting.  I sometimes have to go off to an event or show, but in the day-to-day, I work from home! (And given that traffic is awful where I am, I'll take that!)
- A job where my disability accommodations are all in place.  No fights, no issues if I have to go off to a doctor's appointment or am just not able to work that day.  No fear of retaliation or discrimination. :)

nwhiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 11:38:48 PM »
Insurance Professional.

My bonus can be up to about 15% of my salary. I have 40 days off between vacation and holidays.

My company matches 100% up to 6% and I have a small schedule. I get to work from home mostly so no commute. They also contribute $1k to my HSA.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 11:55:09 PM »
Physician:
I get no perks.  I don't get paid time off, I don't get matching, I don't get health insurance, though they do provide a service that links us with an overpriced insurance plan that I don't purchase.  Basically if I don't produce I make no money. 

All those perks are paid out as cash and I do get paid decently for what I do. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 12:19:11 AM »
Medical management

I get a 3% match, 3 weeks paid holiday, 7 days a year paid sick leave. Those are legislated, though.

Perks: free coffee, free medical care, flexible time/hours, workplace is within walking distance of my home, paid voluntary overtime, free lunch once a month, MANY days free food when the leftovers from catered meetings are left in the staffroom for everyone. What else? Staff discount on medical supplies, friend-and-family free medical care x3.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 06:09:19 AM »
My job provides:

In general a below-market value salary and low salary increases, compared to the private job market. :-(

Governmental pension. But this is not as good for people of my age as it used to be for elder people. From now (January 2019) it will be replaced by a private pension, with some of the highest employer-paid premiums in the country. Especially good for people for very high incomes. With my reduction to working 80%, I fall just outside this bracket of very high premiums.

Short working days. I work 7,5 hours a day including half an hour lunch break. Most other company in Norway require 8 working hours including half an hour lunch break.

Prioritized health insurance. In Norway you don't need a health insurance, you get very "free" health care (with own shares to a certain maximum). But if there are queues for treatment, you might have to wait a long time to be treated. So companies sometimes buy a private insurance that guarantees fast treatment.

We have a life insurance and a disability insurance. This will paid out a couple of 100K$ in such an occasion.

All year around, whole family travel insurance.

Discount on parking at certain places.

We used to get an hour a week off for training at work with a professional trainer. But since a year or two, we don't get time off to do so. The trainer is still there, and it is for free, but you need to train in your own time now.

We have the possibility to sleep at work, for free. There are bedrooms, cleaned like hotel rooms. I haven't needed this yet, but my co-workers often use this after a party at work.

We have a car wash hall. It costs 0,5$ to buy soap, the rest is for free. We can borrow a hanger for the car, for free. We also have a lifting stand for your car with some tools, where can also dump oil after an oil change. This is for free.

We get free fruit in our department. Lots of bananas and some other fruit.

The cafeteria has pretty good prices, compared to other cafeterias. But I still save money by bringing my lunch from home.

Free charging of electric cars. I don't have one.

There is also a small gym that is for free. Clean towels and shampoo are provided in the showers.

A financial contribution for cell phone and internet at home.

Standard for all (or most) companies in Norway:
25 Days of vacation in addition to national holidays.
Unlimited amount of paid sick days. But I think after a year, you get into the governmental system. My personal number is sick days per year varies between 0 and 5, on average 2.
Paid overtime. To be paid out or taken off.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:11:02 AM by Linda_Norway »

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 07:06:08 AM »
Another big tech employee.

I got a 25k signing bonus.  Six figures in stock.

I have a 6% match on my 401k, ability to contribute after tax dollars and do an in service rollover to Roth.

Stock purchase program with 15% discount and no sell restrictions.

Every year my cash bonus is 20-30k.  I also get  around 100k-200k in stock every year.

Good time off including 2 weeks in addition to earned time. 

Also got 6 weeks of parental leave.

Work from home. 

Finally, get cool computer/phone equipment. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »
State govt employee:

Undermarket salary compared to private (though above non-profit)
- Plus under inflation salary raises

Eligible for Pension at certain ages/years of working, but:
- I contribute about 10.5% of my salary for it
- I will lose out on social security benefits I've already earned due to WEP
- See above undermarket salary, I'm paid much lower in part due to this (and due to govt pay as low)
- It starts at only 15% of my final 3-yr average salary

Reasonable hours
- 1.5x pay after the first 2.5 hrs/week (I usually take as vacation, but rarely work overtime)

Work from home 1/day a week (newish perk)
15 vacation days, 3 personal
- started at 10 vacation days, which is very chintzy for my exp/type of job.)
- Will up to 20 vacation days in another 2 years
15 sick days/year
11 holidays

10 days maternity/paternity leave

Reasonable health care coverage

Bad dental coverage

Reimbursement of a professional fee (couple hundred dollars)

Mileage reimbursement under federal rate (and requires cheapest distance, not shortest time, as my time is worth zero apparently.  They also will calculate shortest distance from either my house or work, whichever benefits them - despite not paying for parking from office if I were to do that, which is very expensive)

Minimal crap office supplies after pulling teeth

Pizza 1/month (no drinks) at annual group meeting

And nothing else, e.g. pay my own way at the holiday party

What I don't get that I did when working for-profit company:
- Big salary
- Substantial bonus (about 20-25%)
- Profit sharing (albeit very very minimally)
- 20 vacation days officially, although I could take more (it'd just be extremely hard to get work done)
- Unlimited sick days
- Work from home any day I didn't have a meeting
- Tech
    - Reimbursed 50% up to $3k I think
    - Reimbursed my internet bill
    - Lots of phone support, including for at home issues
- Free dinner at 7:30PM
- Free cab ride home after 8PM
- Lots of leftover lunch/drinks from meetings to scavenge
- Summer time lunches with coworkers reimbursed
- Great support staff
- Fancy holidays/other parties a few times a year
- Misc. items like deluxe office supplies of my choosing, and other things I'm likely forgetting
...Long hours & more stress
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:15:33 AM by Captain FIRE »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
Private Sector, small business

My job got me a remote office so I don’t have to commute far or spend money on commute.
Bonus of 40-45% of my salary for meeting certain work benchmarks (it’s really just that a large part of my compensation is tied to performance and is backloaded to the end of the year to prevent me from leaving)
No retirement plan.
20 paid days off per year that I’ll never be able to use.

If it wasn't for a retirement plan I'd think you were my coworker :) Well I also don't get bonuses that big.

But the 20 days off a year that never get approved is me for sure! I left 10 days on the table this year. Not for lack of trying - but my leave is never approved.

That remote work is nice though! It allows my husband to have his dream job which does have a lot more perks. I like to count his perks as my own since my job makes his possible :)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »
MegaCorp in Europe:
- competative salary
- pension paid for by employer. Getting a much better plan in 6 months that I have to contribute to as well.
- in 6 months, will also get a form of life insurance and disability / accidental death insurance almost completely paid for by employer
- paid time off on national holidays, 25 vacation days (if you don't take them, they will be paid out)
- option to get more paid time off
- tax-free reimbursement for commuting costs (€0,19 per km)
- option to get valuable certifications paid for by employer + they pay yearly registration fees and necessary continuing education courses
- they basically pay any kind of training I request to attend, as long as I succesfully complete it
- paid overtime
- nice working environment, very positive and supportive. This is much more important than any financial compensation.

You didn't ask, but here's how I landed this job, because you seem to be fascinated by this. I have a working class background, came of age right as the last economic crisis happened, didn't have rich parents to fall back on or a professional network. I started working fulltime at 19, got my degree parttime while working, i grad school now, also parttime. Did not need loans because I had a fulltime job. In my country, education is cheaper, but it was still a lot of money to me (approx. €3500-4000 per year). I have lots of work experience for someone my age. I got a better job every 2 years or so for a bit more money.

The economy is a lot different now than it was in 2008 and right now, people with work experience and a degree are hard to find. This summer I was accepted into grad school and as soon as I added that to my LinkedIn profile, I was approached by my current employer. They were looking for someone with a graduate degree, but as they couldn't find any, they were willing to offer me my current job just based on my acceptance into grad school. I hadn't even started yet when I signed with them. I get paid as if I already have the degree and they also pay for some additional certificates.

PepperPeter

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 12:45:36 PM »
@MrBojangles  You have been spewing bitterness in like every thread this week.  Cool your jets, man.  99% of the country lives shittier lives than yours - I think you would be much happier if you tried to focus on gratitude and spent less time obsessing about trust fund babies. 

I'm grateful I have a job, period.

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »
@MrBojangles  You have been spewing bitterness in like every thread this week.  Cool your jets, man.  99% of the country lives shittier lives than yours - I think you would be much happier if you tried to focus on gratitude and spent less time obsessing about trust fund babies. 

Yes.  Understood.

It's something I have found to be a major source of irritation for over a quarter century now, but I've managed to let lose all this bitterness in only a few days.

It's obvious that my life is far different than I expected.  My job determines where I live, what sort of income I have, etc.  That's not what I expected.  Had I known, I never would have wasted time and money on college.

I AM very happy to have a job.  In fact so much so that I give few details as to what I do, where I went to college, what I majored in.  It can be a small 🌎 and I don't want any repercussions.

Yes, probably90% of the country lives worse than I.  Isn't that sad.  We are supposed to be a wealthy nation.  If you had told me I would be the top 90% growing up, I'd have thought I would have a mansion, a domestic staff, and a Rolls Royce in the driveway.  Just goes to show you how little progress there has been in this country.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 02:25:51 PM »

Yes.  Understood.

It's something I have found to be a major source of irritation for over a quarter century now, but I've managed to let lose all this bitterness in only a few days.

It's obvious that my life is far different than I expected.  My job determines where I live, what sort of income I have, etc.  That's not what I expected.  Had I known, I never would have wasted time and money on college.

I AM very happy to have a job.  In fact so much so that I give few details as to what I do, where I went to college, what I majored in.  It can be a small 🌎 and I don't want any repercussions.

Yes, probably90% of the country lives worse than I.  Isn't that sad.  We are supposed to be a wealthy nation.  If you had told me I would be the top 90% growing up, I'd have thought I would have a mansion, a domestic staff, and a Rolls Royce in the driveway.  Just goes to show you how little progress there has been in this country.

One of the things MMM teaches you is that your job does NOT determine what you earn etc. You're allowed to feel what you feel, and if that is bitter, so be it. BUT..... first be bitter, then get better.

As for the mansion and staff, do you really want those things? Can't say that I do. This site will help you drill down into what it is that YOU really want and what it is that YOU are missing. Then you can go get it!

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »
No, wouldn't want the overhead, etc.  Just seems like being probably in the top 10% would mean I'd feel wealthier.  Then again, living beneath my means, probably I am.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »
No, wouldn't want the overhead, etc.  Just seems like being probably in the top 10% would mean I'd feel wealthier.  Then again, living beneath my means, probably I am.

If you earned more than you do currently, would you feel wealthier? My guess is you won't, until you let go of your negative emotions.

If you are in the top 10% earners in the US means you're pretty wealthy compared to most people in your country and like Scrooge McDuck compared to most people in the world. If you don't really feel wealthy, that's not a problem that can be solved by a few more $$$. I wonder if you miss a sense of purpose, as you seem to be so disappointed in life. It's never to late too find your calling in life.

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
Just an ER nurse in a smallish hospital system that has multiple locations.
 Perks for me:
 Decent insurance that encourages health
 Lots of OT
 Great work culture(rare for ER)
 Fidelity 401k
 Decent hours,12hr nights

Not bad for an associates level job but I do work my butt off. Sometimes tracking 8 miles of waking in a shift. 

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
How do you measure this feeling of wealth in others?  By what you see (depreciating assets or frivolous purchases) or what is beneath the surface (IRAs, 529s, taxable accounts, 401ks, etc.) and not shared with you except occasionally in aggregate?

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
My job gives me tons of work,a 70 week is bording on slow.Last year the boss gave ma 2016 fully loaded gmc z71 4 door truck for personal use.The catch is dont ask for a raise and when the phone rings at 2am sunday get to work and dont complain when a job is 4 days straight with no sleep.

Fuck that

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 06:09:44 PM »
Big Tech employee here:

I got a signing bonus that was $25k cash and the same in company stock that vests over 5 years.

Generally our bonus is 10-20% of salary in cash and similar in stock. Like the signing bonus you get the cash immediately and the stock vests. If you do a good job you can also get an additional cash bonus.

$800/year for fitness equipment. It's a little lame in that you buy something and then they reimburse as income (you get taxed twice) but it's still free money. You can also take a gym membership but I don't live near any of the gyms and I'd rather buy bike parts, ski passes, etc.

Stock purchase plan, we can defer up to 15% of our base salary to purchase 10% discounted company stock quarterly.

Our health plan options are varied but all very good. I do an HSA and the company dumps $2500/yr into the account.

There might be some minor things but those are the big ones. Had I known it was like this I'd have gone to work for a big tech company way earlier in my career.

I think we work at the same place. Another big HUGE perk is work life balance on half the teams. An average day could be 5-6 hours and you can use the balance for bike commute, side hustle, or something equally as awesome. Working from home 1+ day a week without impacting your bonus, full remote employees usually get screwed, but using it carefully works out. You can offset your work hours too on many teams. Some people come in at 5am, others at noon, some at 2pm. It's crazy flexible if you have the right management chain, probably my favorite perk. All that matters on many teams is you get your projects done and support them.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »
Big Tech employee here:

I think we work at the same place. Another big HUGE perk is work life balance on half the teams. An average day could be 5-6 hours and you can use the balance for bike commute, side hustle, or something equally as awesome. Working from home 1+ day a week without impacting your bonus, full remote employees usually get screwed, but using it carefully works out. You can offset your work hours too on many teams. Some people come in at 5am, others at noon, some at 2pm. It's crazy flexible if you have the right management chain, probably my favorite perk. All that matters on many teams is you get your projects done and support them.

Yes indeed. The work/life balance and flexibility are why I'm there. I do have a decent amount of meetings (they seem to love meetings) midday but other than those I'm free to work when I please.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »
I just got a job at Big Tech and the perks are out I this world. Just a few of my favorite:

Signing bonus
Hefty stock grants that vest monthly
Free food
Free phone and cell service
Company-provided ebike for six months to get me in the habit of bike commuting
Points that I can redeem for bike gear earned by commuting to work with a bike
Massage chair in my building
$9k 401k match
Auto after-tax Roth conversion
Vanguard 401k administrator
Good coworkers
A company culture that seems to genuinely want to be good people and not hire assholes

P.s.
Previously I spent many years at a gov contractor so this new company is night and day different. My old company didn’t even provide free coffee.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:34:29 PM by ysette9 »

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 05:56:12 AM »
Wow to those working public sector or for tech companies!  My company got bought by an Indian company so perks went down, but somehow I got on the retention bonus list. 

$10k retention last year, $15k retention this year (but no reg bonus after purchase)
3% 401k match
pretty horrid benefits that I don't use
4 weeks PTO (grandfathered and has to cover any sick time or leave time), 6 holiday days and 2 floating holidays
$100 a month tech reimbursement
laptop, I use my own phone
I work remotely with a very flexible schedule as my boss trusts me to get my job done
company is very hierarchical and my boss has to deal with a lot of crap as I'm not considered high enough up for bothering so she gets it all.  I feel bad about it, but yay for me!

DH works for a European mega-corp, his benefits are awesome compared to mine. 

4% 401k match, plus 5% automatic contribution after 12 months
401k allows a mega back door Roth
great medical, dental benefits, we do an HSA lite and they contribute $800
$200 a year just for getting your annual checkup and tests
every other kind of insurance you can think of - we're using the legal benefit this year
3 weeks PTO, 8 holidays, 2 floating holidays
unlimited sick time and very generous leave amounts
stock match of 1/3 of contribution
company car, gas card
laptop, cell phone, iPad and printer for home office
$300 a year fitness reimbursement
On the road in sales with an office at home, boss is very hands off so minimal oversight
lots of samples - from food shows and company products, encouraged to use company products at home
all kinds of discounts - we've used the Apple discount and movie tickets discount

en58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 09:22:04 AM »
My job has this cool benefit. Every so often it decides to shutdown and I have the great perk and benefit of working for free.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
My job has this cool benefit. Every so often it decides to shutdown and I have the great perk and benefit of working for free.

Years ago during one of the Obama-era shutdowns I was in a job that interfaces closely with a gov customer, and we were utterly reliant on the customer to get anything accomplished. So during the shutdown the gov customer counterpart was off work as non-essential, but we still had to come in. It was a little silly as we couldn’t do too much without our counterparts.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »
I work for a Japanese company in Australia, the pay is terrible but my boss advocates for me and gave me a one month bonus this Christmas.  My boss is flexible with me coming in late due to school drop off. Biggest perk is the job itself, I get to travel overseas and meet interesting people. It was a choice between this one and a much higher paying job but I'm so happy I chose this one even though I earn 2/3 the other job.

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »
Cry yourself to sleep on your defined benefit pension pillow. :)

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 12:21:26 PM »
-HDHP
-Dental and vision that is probably pretty okay
-Pension
-401k w/ 50% match up to 6%
-4 weeks of PTO
-Some modest life insurance

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 02:33:39 AM »
I am worrying that might become more expensive when not receiving these perks. DH thinks he can save money by eating cheaper lunch and having less formal clothes. But I already eat lunch from home and dress pretty casual at work. We also don't hire people to do our chores for us, so there is nothing to save there either. We already make food from scratch and there is nothing to save either.

The only things  that I know we will save on are:
- DH's monthly train ticket and car parking ticket at train station
- DH's lunch to some degree, but he will eat half fancy food at home then, as I know him right.
- My daily commute to a certain degree. I think I will still drive quite often, probably the same distance as to work, which is close by. But I might not drive every day.
- The second car. That is a large cost, even though the car is very old and cheap in maintenance and only basically insured.
- Travelling on the cheapest days.
- Housing costs by moving to a cheaper area (hopefully).
- Cycling/walking more instead on driving (hopefully).

But we will have to pay ourselves for:
- Travel insurance
- Incidental copy or print out
- Fruit
- Internet and phone
- Car wash hall. But of course we can do it by hand for cheaper.
- Renting a hanger
- A health insurance to be prioritized for treatment?
- I think we will drop the life insurance. But I am not sure about the disability insurance.
- Parking full price
- The cost of living outside a big city. Everything is further away. We might not have an Ikea close by. The driving costs might increase a lot.

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 04:18:43 AM »
National construction manager, of and on glassdoor top 50 companies

Industry leading salary

Due to the size and complexity of projects, most jobs are over staffed. Some view this as a negative but it allows for a better work life balance. I have no interest on being on site 6 to 6 every day

20 days vacation, 13 holidays

8% match on 401k.

About monthly dinners or team drinks which helps me get that out of my system and reduces my out to eat budget

Free lunch once a week ish.

HSA with $2k deposit

Most of our clients are institutional or class A developers who are former employees. Makes the jobs go well on a high level.

Paid parking or commuter pass

Car allowance after certain level

Half months salary at Xmas

Cons

Hard to work at home in the construction industry

Subcontractors can suck

As a victim of its own success people LOVE this company. The retention is over 90 percent and they hire very few experienced hires. Lots of internal promotions which is good but the place becomes people’s entire lives. We have a lot of married couples, parents/children, and groups of friends working here. You have community service, soft ball, etc. For example the CEO and all EVP’s started as an interns. I don’t think anything will ever happen to the company but I try not to have my entire life revolve around one entity

Company was bought by a conglomerate a decade ago, liquidating stock ownership

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:24:49 AM by MMMarbleheader »

ol1970

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
My significant other works in the airline industry for a major carrier and we get to fly for free.  It’s awesome!  Works out really well because I’ve got the stash to cover the expenses of the trips baked into my 1% withdrawal rate and we never worry about the cost of flights.  It’s cheaper to fly round trip first class to Europe for the weekend than it is to drive anywhere fun and stay for the weekend.  Only drawback is going standby, but when you are FIRED, there is no stress to need to be home on a schedule!

3mNewb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 05:14:35 PM »
I’m an academic.

~10% of salary into a 403b without any contribution from me
Up to ~$25k/year for my child in tuition support to attend any college in the country

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
I work for a private company in Australia
* 6 weeks of annual leave a year
* long service leave of 10 weeks every 5 years
* 3 months of sick leave per 12 month period
* bereavement leave/ compassionate leave and domestic violence leave
* subsidised private health insurance
* three months paid parental leave plus the ability to take up to 2 years off with my job being held for me

* not sure if this counts - days I am working I get three meals a day and access to a gym/ swimming pool/ sports courts (but my work place is 100km from the nearest town so they kind of need to supply these things otherwise we wouldn't be able to eat)

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2019, 05:58:12 AM »
Large consumer product manufacturing company.

-Small annual bonus (2% of salary in my function with modifier based on performance)
-Effective 7.5% 401(k) match (4.5% match on 6% contribution, plus annual 3% safe harbor)
-$2k/year contribution to HSA (for a family)
-21 vacation days, plus standard paid holidays. New employees automatically start with 18 days.
-Relaxed corporate dress code (for this industry, this is huge - most peers in other companies in my role are required to wear business casual at a minimum)
-Flexible work hours
-WFH 1-2 days a week if your function isn't critical on location
-Extended maternity leave beyond FMLA (additional 6 weeks)
-Paternity leave (6 weeks FMLA style or 15 days to use within 12 months)
-(Above two also apply to adoption and fostering)
-Hilariously inexpensive corporate fitness centers, including a pool and a track - $10/month

It's not as shiny as the IT sector, but it's pretty nice considering that a lot of these were added within the last 5 years or so. It's probably the single biggest reason I stay here, finding even half these if I were to relocate (at least, where I want to relocate) would be a big challenge.

ohio4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »
State Government

• 80 hour (somewhat flexible) 2 week schedule
  • 4.5 weeks of vacation with nearly automatic approval (except around major holidays)
  • 10 state holidays
  • sick time and personal time that if unused can be converted to pay (about an extra 2 week paycheck once a year)
  • pension
  • Vanguard options in 457(b) (Pre-Tax Deferred Comp plan), but no match
  • nearly free (~6 dollars a month) gym on premises

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
Higher education here.
  • 8.5% Employer contribution into my 403b, mandatory 5% contribution from me
  • Tuition waiver for myself, spouse, and dependents
  • Free life insurance on 2x my annual salary
  • Free short and long term disability insurance
  • 15 days PTO (20 days at 5-year), 12 days paid sick leave, 2 personal days, 16 holidays
  • Free city bus pass
  • Good health insurance, the employer pays the majority of premium
  • Small wellness bonus ($250)
  • Access to campus gym/fitness center
  • Tickets to sports games (one of our teams is top 10 in the country)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!