Author Topic: What makes you feel rich?  (Read 21898 times)

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
Re: What makes you feel rich?
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2019, 12:57:35 PM »
I feel rich in knowing that I don't have to "save up". In the event that an intermittent expense of below $500 or so appears, I can just pay using a piece of this two-week's paycheck without much thought to it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2019, 08:31:54 AM »
Space and safety. Its been nice to be able to supply this to our family with DW's help. At different times in my life both were in short supply.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2019, 01:23:20 AM »
Wearing my gym outfit all day as I switch from one fitness activity to the next and only getting properly showered/dressed at 5pm.

Today: running, then stand-up paddling.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
There are so many things to be thankful for - like the people we have around us but its our things and our freedoms that make me feel rich.

We recently replaced a car for cash money for our eldest. No rush. Plenty of time to find a private sale with low miles for the right price. Final choice was a gas sipper with some years on it but below 100K miles. Seller was a nice person to work with and very agreeable. No banks and no dealers and no debt. Lots of MMM lessons built into that exercise for our eldest about savings and careful shopping and working hard. 

We feel fortunate to live some place that other people visit for outdoorsy day trips and camping. I can come home from work and go for a long bike ride on rural roads and watch the sunset. I can bicycle to and from my job.

I can sit on the porch with DW and watch the sun dip below the horizon, the fireflies come out, the stars appear in the sky, the night critters start to talk to each other. Other people have to drive a long distances to visit the country nights that we can enjoy every day. 

Feels rich to have an ebike. I can get a bit of help for the motor to climb the hills around here or to rush home a little quicker before a rain arrives.

Air conditioning. I've lived long periods without it and know I can cope. Nice that we don't NEED to when the weather is hot and sticky.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2019, 08:10:32 PM »
Enjoying an evening out with large Broker/Dealer CFOs - including ANC qualifiers.

Telling the same folks that I'm out early so that I can read my kids a bedtime story.

Solving problems solo that the same firms' best IT teams are unable to slice.

Picking at the thoughts of highly successful folks - and offering ideas of improvements they may not have contemplated in return.

Coaching folks into a path of financial or/and health freedom. (perhaps I should start charging?.... Nah)

Coaching kids science, problem solving, and how to use their brains.

Writing.

Taking off an evening to eat a roasted chicken with a bottle of wine and a good book outside.

Checking off the next physical achievement (I lost 100 pounds of fat, gained some muscle, and now know how to use nutritional science combined with targeted exercise to hit each goal I set)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »
Living where I live with daily walks on the beach, not having to go to a job, getting to spend almost every day how I want.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »
Got a nail in my tire this morning. It's an annoyance to have to wait at the tire store while they fix/replace it, but it's comforting to know that I could easily pay to replace all 4 tires today if needed.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:07 AM »
Got a nail in my tire this morning. It's an annoyance to have to wait at the tire store while they fix/replace it, but it's comforting to know that I could easily pay to replace all 4 tires today if needed.

I hade to do that some time ago, replacing 4 tires because of one beyond repair. It was an annoying extra expense, but we don't really notice it in the yearly savings.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »
When I came home from Iraq, I felt rich when water would flow at a such high rate from my sink. So much water, it could flood a city given enough time. And I could drink it, but [I'm so rich] I wouldn't touch the stuff.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2019, 01:34:34 PM »
I live on a street that is a pedestrian path to a sports venue and some entertainment areas.  When there are a lot of people traipsing up and down the sidewalks to their cars, I feel rich when I turn off the sidewalk and hop into my house.   I think all those tourists must be jealous of my living so close that I can just leave a restaurant and go right to bed without having to sit in traffic and then drive an hour home. 

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
Interesting question posed in the OP!

To me, I feel rich when I pay for a meal eating out when I whip out my wallet and then plunk down my share of the bill in cash, rounded up to include a nice tip. Friends always marvel that I carry considerable amounts of cash.  I don't have to faff around waiting to take my turn when everyone else is queueing up to use the card payment machine. I've eaten, I'm done, I'm happy, I've paid. I don't need to quibble and screw around with trying to work out my exact share of the bill etc etc.

enFuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Somewhere between On Fire and FIRE...
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2019, 08:03:36 PM »
I don't know if rich is the right description, but it's incredibly satisfying when I see the email every two weeks that the deposit has been received in my brokerage account, and I stop and say to myself "Oh yeah it's payday today, I totally forgot!".  I feel so fortunate to be in a position where I'm not waiting on a paycheck.  It wasn't always that way...

Also, knowing I could (not would) purchase just about anything (not everything) I could want makes me feel really rich.  Those things aren't anywhere near luxury and I don't buy most of them, but the combination of a solid financial position combined with a healthy dose of Stoicism is a satisfying place to be.  Just knowing that if I really want something I can afford it is probably more satisfying than actually buying it.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2019, 09:36:23 AM »
Last week my mom was debating the cost of an airline ticket to attend a memorial service in another town. She had a free place to stay, and free rides from the airport and to/from the service, but didn't want to spend the admittedly high ticket price. It was so nice to tell her (without thinking anything of it!), "Mom, I'm happy to give you $xxx toward the ticket" and because I know my mom well enough, I had to add, "It'll be part of your birthday present!"

She did hem and haw. My brother called me "Hey big spender... do I have to offer Mom the same thing now?" and he decided to... so between us, she agreed to go. It gives me a warm feeling to know that a spontaneous gesture like that - which doesn't put me out in any way - will allow my mom time with good friends, even for a sad occasion.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2019, 10:49:18 AM »
I don't know if rich is the right description, but it's incredibly satisfying when I see the email every two weeks that the deposit has been received in my brokerage account, and I stop and say to myself "Oh yeah it's payday today, I totally forgot!".  I feel so fortunate to be in a position where I'm not waiting on a paycheck.  It wasn't always that way...

I frequently forget which week is payday, which I realize is its own level of security and peace-of-mind.  I've seen how others stress about how many days/hours are left until they get paid next, and I feel fortunate that's not me.  At my previous job we typically got paid on a Friday, and a few times a year there'd be a glitch on payroll and it wouldn't arrive until Monday morning.  Some of the workers would wind up seriously altering their weekend plans and complain (with some validity) about the impacts of not being paid on time.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2019, 10:50:19 AM »
The other day I looked at my 401k, and I realized that I have enough money to eat for the rest of my life. Even if I don't yet have enough for rent, I won't starve.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »

I frequently forget which week is payday, which I realize is its own level of security and peace-of-mind.  I've seen how others stress about how many days/hours are left until they get paid next, and I feel fortunate that's not me.  At my previous job we typically got paid on a Friday, and a few times a year there'd be a glitch on payroll and it wouldn't arrive until Monday morning.  Some of the workers would wind up seriously altering their weekend plans and complain (with some validity) about the impacts of not being paid on time.

This, for sure. Years ago we were the type that would just be hoping that there was enough money in the account to buy whatever it was we were buying. Now we forget it's payday. It's a wonderful change.

Also, a few years ago we had the experience of my husband's debit card number getting hacked. Someone charged $2,500 worth of stuff the day before we were supposed to leave for our (already budgeted for) vacation. We just shrugged and said "Eh, the bank will get it back to us." Two years prior, we would have seriously considered cancelling the vacation because we wouldn't have been able to afford to go.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »
Today was laundry day and I always feel so rich when I look out to the garden and see all the clean clothes moving in the wind.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »

I feel rich because I live in a LCOL area with a house, no debt, and a net worth around $1.6M per household member, and everyone I work with plans to keep working into their 60's while I'll be long retired by that age.

Also, never having had to worry about bills or unexpected expenses in many years, having a great family, good friends, and good health, plus having a very good job that I enjoy the majority of the time while being FI and not really needing to work.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »

I feel rich because I live in a LCOL area with a house, no debt, and a net worth around $1.6M per household member, and everyone I work with plans to keep working into their 60's while I'll be long retired by that age.

Also, never having had to worry about bills or unexpected expenses in many years, having a great family, good friends, and good health, plus having a very good job that I enjoy the majority of the time while being FI and not really needing to work.

You're just counting the humans, right?

If not our dogs and fish would ruin our numbers!  ;) 

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »

You're just counting the humans, right?

If not our dogs and fish would ruin our numbers!  ;)

Oh yes, although there are no pets here, so it would still calculate out the same if I included them.  :)

AdaBeansonFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »
Puffs tissues with lotion. I know it sounds crazy but after years of blowing my nose with toilet paper and the cheapest sandpaper tissue, it was like a revelation. When my allergies flair up and I have those babies, I feel like a million bucks.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »
Puffs tissues with lotion. I know it sounds crazy but after years of blowing my nose with toilet paper and the cheapest sandpaper tissue, it was like a revelation. When my allergies flair up and I have those babies, I feel like a million bucks.

Oh my yes, it seems like such a little thing but it makes such a huge difference!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2019, 11:30:04 AM »
It's also the little things that make me feel rich, like a full pantry.  I just got back from a vacation to Kenya and Rwanda combined with a stay in an apartment in Toulouse, France for a week while my husband attended a conference and jet-setting around the world actually makes me feel rather poor.  Because I don't have enough money to avoid airlines treating me like shit.  Of course, I did feel rich (in like a not-great way) when visiting with many locals in Kenya and Rwanda.  Because of course, I am rich.

But what makes me feel most rich is buying a huge supply of toilet paper and having plenty at home.  I also like being stocked up on other things, like soap, sponges, Q-tips, etc.  It makes me feel safe, which means I feel rich.  But somehow, TP is the ultimate signifier to me.  If I have plenty of TP at home, all is gonna be ok.

Gary123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »
When the waiter at a restaurant cautiously asks whether you still want a side order or another drink because, “that will be extra.”  Of course, I don’t care about the extra charge and wouldn’t have even noticed it on my bill but apparently others do or they wouldn’t ask.

One of my favorite quotes about money goes something like this,

“Most people who accumulate money will need to make a choice between living like a mult-millionaire or being a multi-millionaire but few ever make enough to do both.”

We chose the latter.  So modest homes, cars and attire often confuse people into thinking we would care about an up-charge on our meal.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »
When the waiter at a restaurant cautiously asks whether you still want a side order or another drink because, “that will be extra.”  Of course, I don’t care about the extra charge and wouldn’t have even noticed it on my bill but apparently others do or they wouldn’t ask.

One of my favorite quotes about money goes something like this,

“Most people who accumulate money will need to make a choice between living like a mult-millionaire or being a multi-millionaire but few ever make enough to do both.”

We chose the latter.  So modest homes, cars and attire often confuse people into thinking we would care about an up-charge on our meal.

We always spring for the Combo too!  ;)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »
But what makes me feel most rich is buying a huge supply of toilet paper and having plenty at home.  I also like being stocked up on other things, like soap, sponges, Q-tips, etc.  It makes me feel safe, which means I feel rich.  But somehow, TP is the ultimate signifier to me.  If I have plenty of TP at home, all is gonna be ok.

Yes. I spent $300 at Costco last week to stock up the freezer and pantry. We could easily afford it, and now we won't run out of ground beef, chicken, or coffee beans for weeks or olive oil, bar soap, toilet paper, contact lens solution, or toothpaste for months.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »
I like to be stocked up on everything. I rarely run out of anything and have a small grocery store in the garage along with an upright freezer and full size refrigerator with freezer. If I run out of something that I want to use for cooking; it makes me cranky! Fully loaded house makes me feel rich!

enFuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Somewhere between On Fire and FIRE...
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2019, 02:06:15 PM »

"You can look rich or be rich" is how I always phrase it... but I like how you note few can afford both.  I'm not willing to work long enough to accomplish that!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
We needed a new car (mine was completely dead unexpectedly) and I didn’t have to panic.  Just used some of the emergency fund.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2019, 09:03:47 PM »
Knowing we could buy an expensive vehicle for cash at any time (but choosing not to). 

Having the kids college education funded 9 years before the money will be needed.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2019, 09:11:04 PM »
I don't really feel rich but when I walk in Wal-mart on the grocery end where they keep the battery powered carts and that smell of shit hits me in the face, I feel lucky that I have enough money that I should never have to take the job of cleaning those cart seats.

(I guess if I were really rich I would never actually go in a Wal-mart in the first place)

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2019, 09:55:28 PM »
Knowing we could buy an expensive vehicle for cash at any time (but choosing not to). 

Sometimes I don't feel super-rich, but then realizing that I could pay cash for a C5 Corvette and not be hurt financially makes me feel like a millionaire (even though I'm not even close).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2019, 07:46:09 AM »
I don't really feel rich but when I walk in Wal-mart on the grocery end where they keep the battery powered carts and that smell of shit hits me in the face, I feel lucky that I have enough money that I should never have to take the job of cleaning those cart seats.

(I guess if I were really rich I would never actually go in a Wal-mart in the first place)

And now I feel rich for not having set foot in a Wal-mart in years.  Thanks?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:39:03 AM by Raenia »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2019, 06:03:46 AM »

And now I feel rich for not having set food in a Wal-mart in years.  Thanks?

What the hell is going on with your WalMart??

cassafrass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2019, 06:22:19 AM »
Running my central AC!

I was just thinking about this last night while I was sitting in my embarrassingly-comfortable-for-July living room. This is the first summer in my adult life that I've had central AC and it feels like such a luxury. I even slept with covers on last night! Normally unheard of in the humid Rust Belt mid-summer. I feel like I finally made it to the big time.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2019, 06:30:07 AM »
One of the WalMarts in my area is a nightmare - crowded, dirty, disorganized. I drive further or spend more at Target to avoid that place.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2019, 07:08:43 AM »
Diet Coke out of glass bottles. It always tastes better. I don't buy it very often in glass bottles but when I do, It's because i'm splashing the cash

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2019, 08:38:26 AM »
One of the WalMarts in my area is a nightmare - crowded, dirty, disorganized. I drive further or spend more at Target to avoid that place.
Weird. 
We have just one Walmart in our area, and it's a 40 minute drive so we go there only a few times a year, but each time we've been it's sparkling clean and almost clinically sterile, in an almost uncomfortable sort of way.  The only smells I can recall are the disinfectant cleaner they seem to use on everything from the floors to the carts.  Ironically it the artificial-sterility that makes me no want to go there, much in the way that the uncleanliness of other Walmarts seems to be keeping others away.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »
I don't know for sure but the smell is always at the entrance where they keep the electric shopping carts.  My wife told me that people sometimes just do their business in the cart rather than trying to find a bathroom.   It is hard to believe that is true but something sure does smell at that end of the store nearly every time I go in.

I still think it is worthwhile to save $2 per bottle of DEET by shopping at Wal-mart vs the local sporting goods store in our town so I just hold my nose.   Guess I am not rich.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
Mountain biking the Laguna Coast.
Surfing the Laguna Coast.

Seriously, both are absolutely FREE, but between the adrenaline, world class views, and technical ecstasy of negotiating berms or curls, I feel like I'm on top of the world.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2019, 12:52:43 PM »
Well, the check kiting of my youth is long gone.

Being debt free* except for the obligatory mortgage at 3.5%

Being 18 months short of my 80k old age retirement goal.

Swiping my card and not really caring how much things cost. I decided I wanted it, I trust my desires enough not to lead me astray. The thing costs what it costs.

Loaning 15k a year back to help out my trustworthy sister dig herself out of the interest cycle.

A month in Hawaii in a self decided 6 week vacation

Going back to college on my own dime.

Visiting multiple cities/states for work and getting to see this massive country on someone else's dime. This summer is Boston.

Getting a dog walker and a house cleaner this summer because finally making more than that would lose and the pit bull deserve a midday walk to blow off steam

My loving expenses are so low that I could live about two years on what's in my bank account.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:59:47 PM by Mesmoiselle »

cowpuncher10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2019, 01:07:42 PM »
- Putting the thermostat to 74 at night in the deep south during the summer!
- 1 - 4 again
- Being able to spend free time answering my kids questions and ensuring that their thirst for knowledge will NOT go unquenched while I can help it
- Cheap cold beer after cutting the grass, sitting in the garage watching the thunder/lightning at night during the summer, and enjoying one not saying a damn thing at all with my Dad and the silent understanding that is shared that life is good in that moment
- Buying the same thing as a peer at a steeply discounted price because I spent time researching and waiting for the right moment to pounce
- I also really really really hate to say this one but internally gloating (sinful) that I have more than the assholes who used to mock my families status due to low income and being blue collar (WHO IS DIGGING DITCHES NOW?!11?!1ONEONE)

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
always having a little hope that I'll be laid off today? ;-)

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »

every week I send $1000 to our retirement accounts, it will be more soon - that makes me feel rich!

travelling - always feels like a luxury to have the time and money to travel

a full fridge & pantry

expensive sheets - I've always bought the cheapest sheets & a few months ago I bought really good quality sheets on a half price sale - oh wow, the difference is amazing & every night I just love how it feels when I first get in to bed.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2019, 02:46:54 PM »
Being able to have a coffee and cake with my wife on the weekend ... we could probably do that every day without noticing (financially), but I like the fact it still feels a treat.

Mmmm....cake

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »
A/C in the car my wife and I share.

Being able to help our eldest buy a used car without a loan.

My bike broke. I fixed it with skills learned online and affordable parts I paid for with cash.

Having the internet.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »
I’ve been feeling very rich lately. First, I never worry about utility bills or other bills like that that vary month to month. I used to stress in the summer or winter when the bills would spike. Now, it’s not a big deal but I still try to keep the bills down. No need to go crazy with the utilities just because I can.

And another huge thing that makes me feel rich actually happened almost a year ago. I struggled at work for a few years, like full on depression and nervous breakdown. In a lot of ways I loved my job but had serious ethical issues with certain things. That was the catalyst for me looking into MMM. At the time we couldn’t really afford to leave and my mental state was terrible. We worked hard to earn some FU stash. And last summer I had a job offer on the table. It would even be a pay cut and I was in a position to say yes. Told my boss about the offer but he wanted me to stay. I stayed but said the ethical issues would have to change.  As of now, the program has been changed. The ethical issues are now resolved. Ultimately our clients benefit from the change, I can sleep at night knowing I’m doing the right thing and I love my job again. I don’t think I’d be here without MMM. And the ability to stand up for what I believe in because I have some FU stash make me feel super rich. 

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2019, 09:07:40 PM »
I’ve been feeling very rich lately. First, I never worry about utility bills or other bills like that that vary month to month. I used to stress in the summer or winter when the bills would spike. Now, it’s not a big deal but I still try to keep the bills down. No need to go crazy with the utilities just because I can.

And another huge thing that makes me feel rich actually happened almost a year ago. I struggled at work for a few years, like full on depression and nervous breakdown. In a lot of ways I loved my job but had serious ethical issues with certain things. That was the catalyst for me looking into MMM. At the time we couldn’t really afford to leave and my mental state was terrible. We worked hard to earn some FU stash. And last summer I had a job offer on the table. It would even be a pay cut and I was in a position to say yes. Told my boss about the offer but he wanted me to stay. I stayed but said the ethical issues would have to change.  As of now, the program has been changed. The ethical issues are now resolved. Ultimately our clients benefit from the change, I can sleep at night knowing I’m doing the right thing and I love my job again. I don’t think I’d be here without MMM. And the ability to stand up for what I believe in because I have some FU stash make me feel super rich.

You're using BADASSITY (TM) to make the world a better place!  Nice!

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »
My work is offering overtime for the next couple of weeks, at time-and-a-half pay.

I said no. It's not high enough pay to make any real difference to my savings rate, and I relish my free time too much.

I would have jumped at the opportunity a few years ago, but my stash is at a level now where I can turn those "opportunities" down.

Edit: I am not even remotely close to FI, but the stash that I do have has already started giving me freedom! 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:19:42 PM by aGracefulStomp »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »
In the general, being richis whatever I want to buy I can buy. If we Need to spend money on something, we can afford it.

In the  particular, sometimes I feel like
The Queen of England because I don’t carry cash,  I have a credit card and sometimes I take that with me, sometimes I just go with D.h and he’s my money person. I just don’t pay that much attention to money on the daily,  it is  plastic and then the bill comes in and he pays it.

Once a year I look at our assets. That snapshot of our assets as of December 31 is what keeps me either spending at a level where I’m perfectly happy or it could mean that I need to cut back if I see that number change drastically.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!