Author Topic: What makes you feel rich?  (Read 21780 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What makes you feel rich?
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »
- Having a well stocked store cupboard, and knowing that every item in it was bought at a great sale price
- Having multiple sets of sheets. Some people don't, I have no idea why! I don't want to have to wash and dry a set of sheets just to change the bed every time.
- It's the start of winter in NZ, so my huge big feather duvet makes me feel rich. I also like knowing that I bought two old second hand ones, drycleaned one and used the feathers from the other to overstuff the first. It actually cost me less than $50 for a heavy weight, overstuffed, feather down duvet inner.
- Being able to switch on the heater any time I like. Being cold makes me feel poor. Assume that I put on a sweater before I get to the heater-turning-on stage!
- The well fed cat fast asleep in a warm house makes me feel rich.

LearnTo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
One thing that always comes to mind when I think about this question is frozen berries.

I can't believe that I can just go to a Costco 1.5 miles from my house and load up on as many organic frozen berries as I want.  Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.  As much as I want!  And then I can come back home and make all sorts of shakes with them. 

It always makes me feel very rich and also somewhat wrong at the same time.  I didn't plant, grow, pick, or transport any of these berries.  Yet here they are, fresh and sweet, in unlimited supply, in my kitchen.  This always drives home how privileged and ridiculously lucky I am, and most of us are.  And how, on the flip side and as Homer Simpson acknowledged, the machinery of capitalism is oiled with the blood of its workers....

Me too, I always feel rich after I've been to Sam's Club to load up on produce AND fill up my car for a few cents cheaper per gallon.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 06:37:21 PM »
One thing that always comes to mind when I think about this question is frozen berries.

I can't believe that I can just go to a Costco 1.5 miles from my house and load up on as many organic frozen berries as I want.  Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.  As much as I want!  And then I can come back home and make all sorts of shakes with them. 

It always makes me feel very rich and also somewhat wrong at the same time.  I didn't plant, grow, pick, or transport any of these berries.  Yet here they are, fresh and sweet, in unlimited supply, in my kitchen.  This always drives home how privileged and ridiculously lucky I am, and most of us are.  And how, on the flip side and as Homer Simpson acknowledged, the machinery of capitalism is oiled with the blood of its workers....

YES. I feel this way about good tomatoes. My immigrant grandparents (and my dad and his siblings as kids) spent their summer weekends picking tomatoes to supplement my grandfather's income. Seven kids in a 3-bedroom bungalow.

My husband and I live with only pets in our 3-bedroom home, and I can afford any tomatoes I want at the grocery store on my comfortable wages from my at-home desk job.

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2019, 07:19:01 AM »
Driving by car lots and knowing I can buy any car in cash and it wouldn't affect my daily life, but choosing to drive a very inexpensive car knowing that it's helping me get ahead.   

That's not to say I don't want a nice car.  I've been fighting the urge for over a year to buy a nice used new-to-me car but so far I've resisted. 

TomSelleckJR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »

Knowing that if something happened, and I lost my job today, that everything would be fine.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
...- Having multiple sets of sheets. Some people don't, I have no idea why! I don't want to have to wash and dry a set of sheets just to change the bed every time.

I only had one set of sheets before marriage.  I would wash and then put right back on my bed.  I liked this because I didn't have to fold the fitted sheet.  I still cannot competently fold a fitted sheet, they resemble somewhat squarish piles. 

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »
...- Having multiple sets of sheets. Some people don't, I have no idea why! I don't want to have to wash and dry a set of sheets just to change the bed every time.

I only had one set of sheets before marriage.  I would wash and then put right back on my bed.  I liked this because I didn't have to fold the fitted sheet.  I still cannot competently fold a fitted sheet, they resemble somewhat squarish piles.

I don’t think it’s possible to competently fold a fitted sheet.  My wife, naturally, disagrees...

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2019, 06:21:55 PM »

I don’t think it’s possible to competently fold a fitted sheet.  My wife, naturally, disagrees...

There's probably a proper way to fold fitted sheets. I can't be arsed finding it.... or doing it, even if I found it. I can live with squarish piles! Life's too short for anything beyond squarish piles, like moving the couch to vacuum under it or cleaning behind the fridge.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
Being asked why I am not stressed when I come in Monday after rounds of layoffs and everyone is in a panic. I just think about having zero debt, payed off house, and under 30k living expenses in hcol area with a massive stache.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »
Having an emergency fund. Being able to cash-flow money emergencies.

Smaller things; when my kids need something like a new backpack or lunchbox or fee for school, not sweating the cost. Being able to afford a pet. Not sweating about buying a new pair of shoes or item of clothing, even if more money than I wanted to spend.

Walking home from work to my own home. Especially when my house is tidy and clean, I feel rich (extra double points a bouquet in the house).

This.  When unexpected bills come in, it's annoyance, not a crisis.  Knowing we are not one ER visit / car repair / broken appliance / family emergency away from disaster is an amazing relief and not to be taken for granted.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2019, 05:49:09 PM »
1 - Not caring about the cost of medical bills or insurance.

2 - going to see my grandparents and not caring about the cost of the tickets or rental car. Offering my sister a plane ticket to go since she hasn’t been in a couple years.

3 - in-laws bought us a condo! Debt free for life now.

4 - offering to buy my mom a new car or make payments for her

5 - family asking for financial advice or help planning / budgeting

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2019, 05:43:42 AM »
My neatly stacked woodpile with enough logs for the next two winters.  As my neighbour said: 'It's like looking at a well-stuffed bank account.'

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:10 AM »
Having the time to make a home cooked meal nearly every night.

I would say money, too, but the $ involved is probably less meaningful than the time involved.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:16 AM »
My husband came home from the dentist needing two crowns. Out of pocket cost for us will be about $1,000.

My reaction? “Bummer. When’s your next appointment?” :goes back to what I was doing:

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2019, 06:58:45 AM »
A paid off home, a job that brings me joy & fulfillment, the ability to stay at home with my son during school breaks & summer break (I'm a teacher), knowing that my son attends excellent public preschool, food in the freezer & canned goods in the basement, the fact that my son's cousins are less than an hour's drive away, not feeling stressed about bills each month. I have so much to be thankful for that I usually feel like the other shoe will drop at any point...my life seems almost too good. So, I'm trying to find ways to focus on being present/living in the moment.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2019, 12:04:19 PM »
Having 3 cats feels like such a luxury. There's nothing more indulgent than a cat washing it's face. Makes me want to slow down, get a book, and stretch out in the sunbeam next to them.

jaysee

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
Leaving my iPad on playing nice scenery videos from around the world as I drift off to sleep.

Riding a very nice train to work, bordering on luxurious.

Going for a one-hour work-out at a very nice, large gym near my home.

Using my $200 Bose noise-cancelling headphones at work.

Never having to fix anything around the house (renting FTW).

Occasionally casual-hiring a newish convertible for a few hours for some late-night city driving. Fun!

Catching a flight for a holiday or a work trip (I move to a new country every couple of years).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:52:16 PM by conwy »

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
+/- $10M /s

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2019, 03:13:20 PM »
New socks. No better feeling in the world than the first time you ever wear them.

mancityfan

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
I have had cancer twice. I have been told it will eventually return. Every six months I get a complete body (PET) scan that looks for cancer activity. Within two days I get news on the results from my oncologist. When I get the news of a clean scan, I feel rich.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2019, 03:38:49 PM »
New socks. No better feeling in the world than the first time you ever wear them.

New socks inside new shoes! And a fresh white tee!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »

New socks inside new shoes! And a fresh white tee!

What are you, a 6 year old?

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
Yes, this!! Just got a 10-pack, they brighten up my days so much.

Also, my lovely little rental apartment, which is my one big luxury. Having a place where I can relax and unwind without being disturbed by anything is very important after a long day.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »

Knowing that if something happened, and I lost my job today, that everything would be fine.

I actually think this is the best answer and the reason we are all on this forum to begin with.  I’m at a point financially where if I got fired tomorrow my savings is large enough to where I could “retire” and work part time and be just fine.  A layoff wouldn’t cause panic in my family.  My 10 year old son wouldn’t feel a thing.  We’d keep our nice house, eat great food and life would go on pretty much the same.  That’s a great feeling.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
Forgetting what day of the week it is, because it doesn't matter.

[/size][size=78%]  [/size]

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2019, 10:58:47 PM »
Intellectually, I know we're rich because we plan on buying a house for cash every year or three -- even now that we've retired.

Emotionally, buying a big bag of Jordan almonds. Just a small box was such a luxury back when we were poor.

india dark ale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2019, 07:49:43 AM »
I am 59. I feel poor because I don't have much time left. I can make more money, but I can't make time. So I choose to spend my time wisely.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
In March of 2018 I went to Morocco for two weeks. It was awesome, I consider it a highlight of my life, and remembering it makes me feel insanely privileged.

In November of 2018, I had to use my FU money and walk away from a toxic, bigoted Director. I had enough to pay my rent, do some cheap travel, and get certified as a SUP instructor. That’s insanely rich. For an added bonus, my FU find is at or about the same place as when I quit. I just got a new job that will pay my bills. It’s part time, so I’m going to find a volunteer position as well. Once again, insanely rich.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:42 PM »
You know what makes me feel rich?

Looking at my net worth and seeing it well over ten million dollars and liquid.

I don't have anywhere near that amount, so it hasn't happened, but it's something that makes me feel rich.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2019, 03:58:51 PM »
You know what makes me feel rich?

Looking at my net worth and seeing it well over ten million dollars and liquid.

I don't have anywhere near that amount, so it hasn't happened, but it's something that makes me feel rich.

This made me lol.

Knowing I could buy a new car with cash if I wanted makes me feel rich.
Being able to help out my gf financially and not even really feeling it.
Knowing I could lose my job and be perfectly fine for a long time.  Allows me to give far fewer fucks

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »
+/- $10M /s
Net worth high enough that it can bounce $10M in a second is unbelievable - that someone with that net worth would be on MMM and that someone who focuses enough on instantaneous market valuation could achieve that net worth.

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »
A clean and tidy apartment where no one bothers me lol

Knowing that in the past, when I did have a chunk of money to spend freely, I chose not to take expensive vacations or buy a huge TV or designer clothes etc. because I didn't feel like I really wanted them. So now that I'm back to the beginning again, I feel rich because I'm free of envy for what other people might buy, because I know I value other things more.

Does that make sense? :)

Edited to add: I also feel rich right now, even though I'm actually money-poor, because I've finally gotten control of my spending habits.  Even though I only had $41 in my bank account until payday today, at last I feel like I know where my money goes, and when I spend it, it goes places with purpose, not just leaking away because I have no control over myself. It's a great feeling to see that I've made so much progress with my issues with money over the last few years.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:42:04 PM by Redstone5 »

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2019, 04:38:56 PM »
Probably that it's payday and I put nearly 75% of my check into savings after paying bills.

And the time off I have. Today is only day off two of five.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
Massages

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »

This is funny cause I only have one set of sheets and never even thought of having a second set. I thought you always just washed and dried them and then put them back on the bed? You have to make the bed either way.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »

This is funny cause I only have one set of sheets and never even thought of having a second set. I thought you always just washed and dried them and then put them back on the bed? You have to make the bed either way.

If you have a family, each with one set of sheets on their bed, and you wish to change the sheets? That's a huge amount of washing and drying that has to be done that day. If you have multiple sheet sets, you can save up the washing to a sunny day where the sheets will dry on the line. If you have multiple sheet sets you can change your bed "off schedule" for some reason like illness, pet or child accident etc. If you have multiple sheet sets, you can choose a winter flannelette or a summer cotton. They're so handy to have around - a spare sheet over the sofa when the kids are eating cheese balls in front of a video, for instance. Or one over the top layer of your bedding on a wet night when the cat will come in with muddy paws. Or pop one down on the floor when the friend's baby comes over and wants to crawl around. Hell, even a toga party!

I was taught that you have three per person of everything like sheet sets and towels - one in use, one in the wash, one in the linen cupboard.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »

When doing a wedding registry, they encourage 3 sets saying "one on the bed, one put away, one in the laundry". I didn't question it at the time and it does make sense to me to make the bed right away instead of having to wait until the sheets are washed and dried (especially if line drying); however, there isn't really a good reason that you need a set to be put away while you're washing the set that just came off the bed.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2019, 05:22:09 AM »

When doing a wedding registry, they encourage 3 sets saying "one on the bed, one put away, one in the laundry". I didn't question it at the time and it does make sense to me to make the bed right away instead of having to wait until the sheets are washed and dried (especially if line drying); however, there isn't really a good reason that you need a set to be put away while you're washing the set that just came off the bed.

I don't know, I've had a lot of times when I've had a dreadful flu or stomach bug and just managed to get up and have a shower and change the bed. It would have been just gross to get back into a sickness-sweat bed. I've even done that twice in a row. I had the sheets to do it.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2019, 06:36:40 AM »

Sheets often don't dry in a day, at least not where I live? Even now in early summer it's still raining quite often. I'm glad that when I changed my sheets this morning I had another dry set ready to go on the bed, because after some sudden heavy rain I think they are now more wet than when I took them out of the machine this morning :)

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2019, 07:12:45 AM »
"Do you dry sheets on a line outside?" and "How many sets of sheets (per bed) do you own?" are good ideas for a poll!

My answers:

1) No (hoa doesn't allow it if I wanted to) and 2) I use one set of sheets repeatedly until I get bored or they start looking worn. Then older sets move to the closet to use in a sheet emergency or for picnics/rags/drop cloths.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2019, 09:04:59 AM »
"Do you dry sheets on a line outside?" and "How many sets of sheets (per bed) do you own?" are good ideas for a poll!

My answers:

1) No (hoa doesn't allow it if I wanted to) and 2) I use one set of sheets repeatedly until I get bored or they start looking worn. Then older sets move to the closet to use in a sheet emergency or for picnics/rags/drop cloths.

Yep, this is me. I actually realize I do have two extra set of sheets but I never use them except when guests visit and I have to make up the sofa beds. I wash, dry (in a dryer) sheets and put back on the bed.

Regarding the 3 of everything rule, well of course they’d recommend that, you just bought more stuff. The set sitting in the closet is kinda useless. I get it if you line dry things. I’m trying to get away with less stuff and it’s funny to realize how much you don’t “need”.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
Three sheets/bed is a pretty good idea if you have little kids. It only takes one round of stomach flu to appreciate that, even if you've got your own washer and dryer.

I'm a morning person. I want to change the sheets and make the bed first thing, and it would annoy me to look at the unmade bed all day.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
Forgetting what day of the week it is, because it doesn't matter.

[/size][size=78%]  [/size]

Hear, hear!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2019, 02:15:55 PM »
Hosting my daughter and her friends for dinner. They are all young artists of one type or another and I think really appreciate when we pick up the tab or cook them a nice dinner here at home. They are also lovely and interesting people so makes for a very fun meal.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »

Beer in a glass.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:43:01 AM by GreenEggs »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2019, 01:16:52 AM »

My answers:

Yep, this is me. I actually realize I do have two extra set of sheets but I never use them except when guests visit and I have to make up the sofa beds. I wash, dry (in a dryer) sheets and put back on the bed.

Regarding the 3 of everything rule, well of course they’d recommend that, you just bought more stuff. The set sitting in the closet is kinda useless. I get it if you line dry things. I’m trying to get away with less stuff and it’s funny to realize how much you don’t “need”.

Funny, for me, I feel rich when I've got more than enough. I have three sets of sheets (useful when we have visitors, which is quite often) and 5 regular towels, 3 bath towels, probably about 10 kitchen/dish towel sets. Yes, that's way more than a couple need (the only time everything is in use is Christmas) but it feels very rich to just be able to grab a new dish towel when the one you're using is wet instead of having to wait for it to dry. I'm also really happy to have maybe 10 plates and 15 cups.

Of course I'm not defending hoarding but having a little bit extra is great. I also don't get stuff new, most of this kind of stuff was inherited or gifted by someone who was going to throw it away otherwise. (Yes, there are people who give their whole set of plates away when one or two were broken and they can't find relacements).

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2019, 11:43:26 AM »
(Yes, there are people who give their whole set of plates away when one or two were broken and they can't find relacements).

I should meet up with some of those people. Our family of 4 is down to 4 bowls, 4 salad plates, and 6 dinner plates. DH and I don't have enough interest in shopping to sort through a website and find a new set we agree on, let alone are willing to spend $ on.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »
(Yes, there are people who give their whole set of plates away when one or two were broken and they can't find relacements).

I should meet up with some of those people. Our family of 4 is down to 4 bowls, 4 salad plates, and 6 dinner plates. DH and I don't have enough interest in shopping to sort through a website and find a new set we agree on, let alone are willing to spend $ on.

Somehow if I postpone a purchase long enough, it will eventually be given to me for free by someone.

Good sources for kitchen items are Hyacinth Bouquet-type relatives and old ladies looking to give away all the possensions they have collected over a lifetime, if you don't mind old fashioned styles. I have two plates left over from a set that I had from nu great aunt and eating from those ugly green and yellow plates always brings back happy memories.

Another option would be thrift shopping / garage sale but that's suspisciously similar to regular shopping, except a bit more mustachian. I'd rather wait until stuff turns up at my doorstep. It helps if everyone thinks you're a pauper and can't afford buying plates.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2019, 11:17:08 PM »
What about the devil's advocate answer - does anyone feel rich due to knowing that he or she has more job security, privilege or money than others?

Sure, it's not the cornerstone of MMM - but it doesn't hurt to have money and privilege.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2019, 01:35:46 AM »

Flea markets have this stuff for cheap. DH recently bought some wine glasses of the type that we have, but where a few were broken.
I have also said to DH that maybe after this, we should just get Ikea wine glasses and not so many...