Author Topic: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?  (Read 174342 times)

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?
« Reply #750 on: December 07, 2019, 05:48:49 PM »
I really can't stand the narcissism and pettiness of LinkedIn, and I can't wait to be able to delete my profile on that site (or at least change it to: "Retired"!)

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: December 08, 2019, 06:04:56 AM »
Pettiest reason that I'm still self-righteous enough to think is legitimate: Move out of the american south, get to the northeast, and never have to deal with 95 degree weather (and 80%+ humidity) in late October again. Look, palm trees are nice I guess, but I've lived in the south my entire life and I just think the weather's goshawful horrific. Bonus: I get to stop listening to other homegrown southerners complain "it's so freezing outside waaaaaaa" when the temp dips below 50. Geez y'all are weak. This is why the south lost the war.

Additional less petty and more Mustachian reason: Avoid traffic and driving at all costs for as long as we live here. Atlanta drivers are legitimately the meanest I've ever seen..every single day I see people run red lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, and nearly cause fatal crashes casually. And it's always inevitably the most expensive, shiniest, biggest luxury gas-guzzlers doing this. I just don't want those abominations in front of mine eyes ever again.

You do recognize the irony of calling southerners weak for complaining about cold weather, but then not being able to deal with heat and humidity yourself, right?

But yes, I totally would like to leave the South.  For me it's much more about the culture than the weather.
You could move to Atlanta.  It's the least "southern" town I've lived in.  Almost everyone here is from somewhere else.  As the other poster mentioned, you would have to deal with some shitty traffic and crazy drivers.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #752 on: December 08, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to not maintaining or updating a resume along with not dealing with cover letters, phone screens, interviews and whiteboard coding exercises.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #753 on: December 09, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »
Pettiest reason that I'm still self-righteous enough to think is legitimate: Move out of the american south, get to the northeast, and never have to deal with 95 degree weather (and 80%+ humidity) in late October again. Look, palm trees are nice I guess, but I've lived in the south my entire life and I just think the weather's goshawful horrific. Bonus: I get to stop listening to other homegrown southerners complain "it's so freezing outside waaaaaaa" when the temp dips below 50. Geez y'all are weak. This is why the south lost the war.

Additional less petty and more Mustachian reason: Avoid traffic and driving at all costs for as long as we live here. Atlanta drivers are legitimately the meanest I've ever seen..every single day I see people run red lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, and nearly cause fatal crashes casually. And it's always inevitably the most expensive, shiniest, biggest luxury gas-guzzlers doing this. I just don't want those abominations in front of mine eyes ever again.

You do recognize the irony of calling southerners weak for complaining about cold weather, but then not being able to deal with heat and humidity yourself, right?

But yes, I totally would like to leave the South.  For me it's much more about the culture than the weather.
You could move to Atlanta.  It's the least "southern" town I've lived in.  Almost everyone here is from somewhere else.  As the other poster mentioned, you would have to deal with some shitty traffic and crazy drivers.

Atlanta is ok, but I wouldn't care to live there.  It is way too sprawly and car-dependent. 

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #754 on: December 10, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »
I want to delete the Ask a Manager link from my bookmarks.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #755 on: December 10, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »
I want to end the yearly self-evaluations and reviews.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #756 on: December 10, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
Last week, I gave a personal recommendation for a coworker’s husband for a job that was being posted by a friend’s company. My friend was on the hiring committee. Yesterday, same coworker complained to her and my superiors about me and my work and according to my superior “said some really unkind things”. Luckily, I was right, she was wrong, and the whole incident just made her look petty, but this kind of crap is tiresome.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #757 on: December 11, 2019, 12:24:27 AM »
I'm sorry if I wrote these before, but I don't remember all that I wrote in this thread.

I don't want to have to drive to work in all sorts of difficult driving circumstances (icy roads).

I want to sleep as long as is natural to me.

I don't want to have to break off my trips/vacations while they are still good because I have to be back at work at certain days.

I don't want to do any more scrum meetings, or scrum-related shit.

I don't want to have to focus on flexitime, saving up enough extra hours for a period to be able to take a day off later. Currently I have 4 hours left while tomorrow is my last day. I have decided to leave really early this afternoon, like at 1 pm. My goodbye cake is at 2 pm, so I'll need to wait until after that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:29:24 AM by Linea_Norway »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: December 11, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »

Atlanta is ok, but I wouldn't care to live there.  It is way too sprawly and car-dependent.

And when you're in your car, it's like Mad Max on the Interstates...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #759 on: December 12, 2019, 02:39:31 AM »
I work across several teams in my company. My petty reason for FIRE-ing is that I won’t have to decide who to give Christmas cards to and who will be offended if they don’t receive a card. Or maybe next year, I’ll just make several packages of goodies and give to whomever crosses my path over the course of the week.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #760 on: December 12, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »

Only on those occasions when they're not parking lots.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: December 12, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »

Only on those occasions when they're not parking lots.

I'm pretty sure that the car on fire was at least partially the reason that I-85 was a parking lot the last time I was there. 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #762 on: December 13, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
Pettiest reason that I'm still self-righteous enough to think is legitimate: Move out of the american south, get to the northeast, and never have to deal with 95 degree weather (and 80%+ humidity) in late October again. Look, palm trees are nice I guess, but I've lived in the south my entire life and I just think the weather's goshawful horrific.

Same, but, opposite? Lifelong Chicagoan, and I think our weather is horrific. I hate cold. I hate snow. I hate snow in late April. I hate snow on Halloween. Both of those things happened this year. I don't think that -50 F windchills are ever OK. I hate that it was only in the 50s (ABOVE zero, haha) this year on the freaking summer solstice. (My tomato and pepper plants hated it too.) I'm increasingly resentful of my job, and my entire industry, because it ties me to snowy climates. Or, oddly, Florida - no thank you. No offense to Floridians but I've been a few times and didn't like it.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #763 on: December 23, 2019, 03:37:35 PM »
My latest reason is the constant distractions at work.  I'm never given the time I need to sit down and actually focus on a task/project long enough to complete it.  I bet I'm interrupted at least 15 times per day.  Every time there's an interruption, I lose focus and it takes a while to figure out where I was when I come back to whatever I was working on.  I find this kind of work environment to be extremely exhausting.  It's hurting my ability to focus on anything, and when I get home my nerves are totally frazzled.  I'm mentally tired all the time now.

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #764 on: January 03, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
I don't think that -50 F windchills are ever OK. I hate that it was only in the 50s (ABOVE zero, haha) this year on the freaking summer solstice. (My tomato and pepper plants hated it too.)

Gosh, that...doesn't sound nice. I'm sorry. I'd like that more what we have here, but that's admittedly not even close to "ideal" for me. Still...wanna switch? :)

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #765 on: January 09, 2020, 05:14:35 AM »
My latest reason is the constant distractions at work.  I'm never given the time I need to sit down and actually focus on a task/project long enough to complete it.  I bet I'm interrupted at least 15 times per day.  Every time there's an interruption, I lose focus and it takes a while to figure out where I was when I come back to whatever I was working on.  I find this kind of work environment to be extremely exhausting.  It's hurting my ability to focus on anything, and when I get home my nerves are totally frazzled.  I'm mentally tired all the time now.

This is exactly why I quit my previous job. There were endless scrum calls, planning meetings, review meetings, all-hands - gah! Nobody ever got any work done in that company.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #766 on: January 09, 2020, 09:48:29 PM »
Petty shit I don’t miss that pushed me to FIRE:
- Useless weekly staff meetings that were not about meaningful communication or project planning.
- Having an office next to the employee entrance and watching the boss drag his ass in everyday with the enthusiasm of a sloth
- Listening to personal dramas of co-workers
- Hearing the English language abused by co-workers (“I seen”) who admonished others for not speaking decent English
- As financial manager, by default and for no apparent reason, having to deal with employees’ broken cell phones, damage to work vehicles, DUIs...

By the end I was so over.  It.  All.  I still don’t know how I lasted.

teacherwithamustache

• Stubble
« Reply #767 on: January 10, 2020, 10:34:59 AM »
Go to the bathroom whenever I need too
Being able to drink beer whenever I wish

I want to laugh at all of the spendy pants teachers I know who have no idea how to save money, and no desire to save money.  Continue to fail at life and hate working every day. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: January 10, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
- Hearing the English language abused by co-workers (“I seen”) who admonished others for not speaking decent English

Oooo, this happens all the time at my workplace. Is yours always barely-educated native speakers claiming they can't understand anyone with a foreign accent? 'Cause that's what happens here.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #769 on: January 10, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »

Oooo, this happens all the time at my workplace. Is yours always barely-educated native speakers claiming they can't understand anyone with a foreign accent? 'Cause that's what happens here.

Yup.  This was usually followed by talking to them loudly — you know, to make English more clear — and getting pissed off the minute the customers left.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #770 on: January 22, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
Getting a text from my manager Sunday morning to change my time card to match a new policy they did not announce last week, and asking for justification of how I spent my time. Pointless and stressful on a weekend.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #771 on: January 23, 2020, 03:53:10 AM »
I'm really sick of arguing with my coworker over vacation time.  Every year it's the same stress.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #772 on: January 23, 2020, 04:36:10 AM »
I don't want to wear shoes to go into the office (I have now 3 of 4 days homeoffice and shoes start to feel weirder every week).

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #773 on: January 23, 2020, 06:25:19 AM »
Any (and all) activities relating to justifying "what I do" and "why the company needs me", including, but not limited to: meetings, daily stand-ups, self-performance-evaluations, peer-evaluations, etc.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #774 on: January 28, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
Seems to me that most of these answers come down to dumb people wasting your time on dumber things.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #775 on: February 02, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »
I'm so glad I am FIREd.  If not, could look forward to bunches of people talking about and asking about and wasting time about the BIG GAME or the Commercials that were on.  The last BIG GAME i watched was when the Packers won.  No I don't watch it for the commercials. Not I don't want to google the commercials.  I don't even have television with which to turn on the game.  I am vaguely aware of which teams were (are?) playing, though I don't know which state one was from....

Ahh, I soo do not miss that.  So petty :).

@AnnaGrowsAMustache yes apparently so. 

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #776 on: February 02, 2020, 06:40:48 PM »
I don't know if this is petty...but I'm tired of googling things for people too lazy to look things up for themselves and tired of solving problems for people that have absolutely nothing to do with my job.  (I'm a 911 dispatcher)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #777 on: February 03, 2020, 04:02:36 AM »
Never having to smell the pungent food of my co-worker that likes to eat at his desk. Fish, fermented foods, cabbage, spicy stuff... Pretty much every “eat at your desk” faux pas you can commit, he commits. He is completely oblivious. I know he has been asked to stop eating smelly stuff at his desk, but he just stops bringing in that specific item and substitutes it with something that smells just as bad. If you only like smelly food, just eat it in the cafeteria.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #778 on: February 03, 2020, 05:09:45 AM »
I'm sick.  Not as sick as I was this weekend, but sick enough that one more day in bed watching Netflix would probably be the best thing for me.  But, alas, I'm at work because it's the first working day of the month and I owe the accountants reports so that they can do end of month processing and there is no back up for that function.  And it's the Monday after the Super Bowl, so even though my team didn't make it, it is generally frowned upon to call out today. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #779 on: February 03, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »
I don't know if this is petty...but I'm tired of googling things for people too lazy to look things up for themselves and tired of solving problems for people that have absolutely nothing to do with my job.  (I'm a 911 dispatcher)

People call 911 just to ask easy-to-answer non-emergency questions?  I'm curious if you're willing to tell us some of the most frivolous calls that 911 dispatchers get.  That seems like it is basically hurting the people that are in actual emergencies. 

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #780 on: February 03, 2020, 12:03:09 PM »

People call 911 just to ask easy-to-answer non-emergency questions?  I'm curious if you're willing to tell us some of the most frivolous calls that 911 dispatchers get.  That seems like it is basically hurting the people that are in actual emergencies.
that, and is there not some kind of charge or consequence to that?  I've read articles about how people call 911 because their pizza delivery is late.

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #781 on: February 03, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »

They usually call the non-emergency line for those questions...usually.  But I've taken many many calls on 911 for things like "my car won't start, the battery's dead!" The sad part, I think, is people seem almost completely unwilling to figure out anything for themselves.  I guess it's a societal problem...

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #782 on: February 03, 2020, 12:12:55 PM »

that, and is there not some kind of charge or consequence to that?  I've read articles about how people call 911 because their pizza delivery is late.

If people abuse the 911 lines, yes, they can be charged, but it usually doesn't get to that point because they typically have to do it multiple times before any action is taken.  The problem is that people can't be bothered to look up the non-emergency number so as soon as something isn't going right, they just call 911, because we can fix everything, right?  :)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #783 on: February 03, 2020, 12:25:06 PM »

Uh...late pizza is an emergency.

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #784 on: February 03, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »

Uh...late pizza is an emergency.

LOL...agreed!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #785 on: December 31, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
Reviving an old thread, but I thought of a good answer for it today...

I don’t know why, but it seems that the weather disproportionately sunny on workdays and rainy on weekends when I have free time. I’m looking forward to making my weekend be whenever the weather is nice.

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #786 on: December 31, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
To never spend another day having to worry about whether or not my long-planned, long-approved, nonrefundable vacation is going to be pulled out from under me 2 weeks before I'm supposed to leave because things went sideways at work.

I hate that employers just expect you to drop everything and do as they command. A couple years ago my current employer tried to force me to cancel a vacation that I had planned ten months earlier so I could attend training in Denver. They stated that this shouldn't be an issue since they gave me five weeks notice. I told them it wasn't about the notice, it was about their request interfered with a vacation I had planned almost a year in advance. When they tried to push me harder to cancel I told them that I would not be cancelling my plans regardless of consequence, and if it was that big of an issue they could just have my last check ready the day I left for vacation. Needless to say they not only backed down and rescheduled the training, but I got a huge promotion a year later. That was the first time I realized the power of FU money.

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #787 on: January 01, 2021, 05:18:53 AM »
The inconsistency and and waste of tax dollars.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #788 on: January 01, 2021, 06:16:27 AM »
So that I never have to hear a coworker clipping their nails in an open office space again.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #789 on: January 01, 2021, 06:21:10 AM »
To never spend another day having to worry about whether or not my long-planned, long-approved, nonrefundable vacation is going to be pulled out from under me 2 weeks before I'm supposed to leave because things went sideways at work.

I hate that employers just expect you to drop everything and do as they command. A couple years ago my current employer tried to force me to cancel a vacation that I had planned ten months earlier so I could attend training in Denver. They stated that this shouldn't be an issue since they gave me five weeks notice. I told them it wasn't about the notice, it was about their request interfered with a vacation I had planned almost a year in advance. When they tried to push me harder to cancel I told them that I would not be cancelling my plans regardless of consequence, and if it was that big of an issue they could just have my last check ready the day I left for vacation. Needless to say they not only backed down and rescheduled the training, but I got a huge promotion a year later. That was the first time I realized the power of FU money.

Great story but I’d say that’s not petty in the least.  There’s a thread about Epic FU money that story belongs in.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #790 on: January 03, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »

Similarly in my last grown up job (which I left 7 years ago next week) was 80 miles one way from my house. The directors came up with the bright idea to have all their managers send them an email saying that they were "All in".. A silence erupted in the "come to jesus meeting" that this was announced in.

Then a voice from the back row (mine) asked "what exactly does "All in" mean? I had to ask twice but my director said it would mean that when ever the phone went off, day or night we would come running to the site!

Needless to say every manager except one sent in that email.. One of us sort of ignored it and never did come in despite what the "emergency" was...:)

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #791 on: January 27, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »
So that I never have to hear a coworker clipping their nails in an open office space again.

I really like this one and it fits so well with the thread title. 

I was new to my last executive job and had flown to Detroit for a large leaders meeting in the second week of my employment.  It was a classroom set up and I was in the back and watched the Director of Engineering in the row in front of me, clipping his nails, making a neat pile on the desk in front of him. 

It was a room full of national leaders having a rather heated discussion on how we were going to spread around the reliability budget that was too small to manage risks that were too big. 

Clip.  Clip.  Clip.     

I took a picture of the scene from my vantage point, and wondered what the hell I had gotten into.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #792 on: January 27, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »

I was new to my last executive job and had flown to Detroit for a large leaders meeting in the second week of my employment.  It was a classroom set up and I was in the back and watched the Director of Engineering in the row in front of me, clipping his nails, making a neat pile on the desk in front of him. 

It was a room full of national leaders having a rather heated discussion on how we were going to spread around the reliability budget that was too small to manage risks that were too big. 

Clip.  Clip.  Clip.     

I took a picture of the scene from my vantage point, and wondered what the hell I had gotten into.

I love how Director of Engineering cared enough to gather all his nail clippings in a neat pile. My coworkers let theirs fly everywhere.

We've been mostly WFH for almost a year now so I haven't seen anyone do it lately, but my blood pressure still shoots up at the thought.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #793 on: January 27, 2021, 10:00:43 PM »

Clip.  Clip.  Clip.     

I love how Director of Engineering cared enough to gather all his nail clippings in a neat pile. My coworkers let theirs fly everywhere.

We've been mostly WFH for almost a year now so I haven't seen anyone do it lately, but my blood pressure still shoots up at the thought.

Yeah, and when in the office you didn't even have to see it, even the sound coming over cubicle walls triggered disgust.  I was just hoping their shoes were on whenever I heard it. 

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #794 on: January 27, 2021, 10:32:33 PM »
The sound of someone clipping their nails (in public) is so repulsive. I once found a neat little pile of fingernail clippings on the table of some casual food dining place. So sick. WTH are people thinking?????

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #795 on: January 28, 2021, 03:50:18 AM »
The sound of someone clipping their nails (in public) is so repulsive. I once found a neat little pile of fingernail clippings on the table of some casual food dining place. So sick. WTH are people thinking?????
Do you react the same to all those hairs and dead cells people constantly lose everywhere? At least nails you see and they are compact enough to move them away easily, not like the rest.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #796 on: January 28, 2021, 03:54:49 AM »
Do you react the same to all those hairs and dead cells people constantly lose everywhere? At least nails you see and they are compact enough to move them away easily, not like the rest.

Have you actually experienced cleaning up a pile of nail clippings from a complete stranger?

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #797 on: January 28, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »

Have you actually experienced cleaning up a pile of nail clippings from a complete stranger?

And the nail clipping is done intentionally. You can't call someone rude for accidentally shedding a hair or some skin cells.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #798 on: January 29, 2021, 03:51:45 AM »

And the nail clipping is done intentionally. You can't call someone rude for accidentally shedding a hair or some skin cells.
Good point.

I still wonder why the difference felt for so many people is so big. For me it's about the same. And yes, I have taken away nails a few times. Not a pile though. But I would.
Do you also think leather (since horn stuff isn't used anymore) is itchy to touch?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #799 on: January 29, 2021, 04:04:16 AM »

Good point.

I still wonder why the difference felt for so many people is so big. For me it's about the same. And yes, I have taken away nails a few times. Not a pile though. But I would.
Do you also think leather (since horn stuff isn't used anymore) is itchy to touch?

Oh, leather is just fine. But then, I don't have to think about animals picking their noses or scratching their behinds ;)