Author Topic: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?  (Read 174042 times)

Dragonswan

• Bristles
Re: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?
« Reply #650 on: October 30, 2019, 06:45:20 AM »
Every few years there's a new management philosophy that makes the rounds and I'm tired of buying in, checking in, total quality management, LEAN, 6 Sigma, Briggs Myers, It's your Ship, and all the rest of the crap that amounts to do more and work harder with less and less and less.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #651 on: October 30, 2019, 06:50:22 AM »
Every few years there's a new management philosophy that makes the rounds and I'm tired of buying in, checking in, total quality management, LEAN, 6 Sigma, Briggs Myers, It's your Ship, and all the rest of the crap that amounts to do more and work harder with less and less and less.

I was just interviewed by my manager about what I thought of the company, as part of learning from those who are leaving.
I mentioned that I wasn't going to tell her anything new, as I am in general an open person who takes up things immediately. But I did tell her what I thought about the management who always want to do multiple big projects at the same time, not seeing the realism in how you can meet those deadlines. And that the budget cuts they are doing now are on the wrong things (like the Christmas dinner at a restaurant, the weekly training sessions, education).

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #652 on: October 30, 2019, 09:42:35 AM »
Did she listen politely but indicate there is nothing they can do?  'Cause that's usually the response to legitimate concerns.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #653 on: October 30, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »
So today someone was asking me about a thing I do every day, and I honestly don't know who, if anyone, actually needs that work to be done.  Turns out that it's likely that literally no one actually needs this work done, bah!

You would be surprised in how many cases that is true.

(Amazon) Bullshit Jobs, David Graeber

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #654 on: October 30, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
So today someone was asking me about a thing I do every day, and I honestly don't know who, if anyone, actually needs that work to be done.  Turns out that it's likely that literally no one actually needs this work done, bah!

This quote was immediately above 1 that said Internal Audit was their petty reason.  I'm in Audit and think one of the most satisfying part of the work is finding inefficiencies when auditing a process.  Last audit, talked to a employee who says they do task x which takes about 6 hours a month.   Investigate and find that a system option can be turned on and automate that process (I had worked on system implementation and thought no one had ever investigated it).   I hope my temporary PITA audit requests will be offset by reducing hours/problem/issues in the future.  Other satisfying thing is finding fraud, least satisfying: documenting all that stuff.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #655 on: October 30, 2019, 12:07:10 PM »
Did she listen politely but indicate there is nothing they can do?  'Cause that's usually the response to legitimate concerns.

If that was a question to me, then yes, she listened and even agreed with me most things, like the lack of cleaning of the lady's loo, the acoustics on our floor. And anyway, what I told here now isn't to be solved for me, but maybe for my coworkers. They can do with my answers whatever they want.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #656 on: October 30, 2019, 06:43:16 PM »

This quote was immediately above 1 that said Internal Audit was their petty reason.  I'm in Audit and think one of the most satisfying part of the work is finding inefficiencies when auditing a process.  Last audit, talked to a employee who says they do task x which takes about 6 hours a month.   Investigate and find that a system option can be turned on and automate that process (I had worked on system implementation and thought no one had ever investigated it).   I hope my temporary PITA audit requests will be offset by reducing hours/problem/issues in the future.  Other satisfying thing is finding fraud, least satisfying: documenting all that stuff.
One of the things I like to do is automate or simplify the things that I do, I am always looking for opportunities to simplify.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #657 on: October 31, 2019, 07:18:53 PM »
Not getting an email response from anyone at the audit client

It's been a couple weeks, and I've emailed a handful of people with zero response. As far as I know, my emails are just going to spam.

Yeah this is terrible. I know they hate me because I do (internal) tax audits and they don't want to confess that they messed up. But I'm internal, if you are honest and reply to my e-mail and don't refuse meeting requests, I can help you out and fix the mess together before the external tax people show up.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #658 on: November 04, 2019, 12:49:48 PM »
I'm tired of pretending to be interested in football. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #659 on: November 05, 2019, 01:35:06 AM »
So that I don't have to look at the overly full trash can in our open office area. If I remember correctly, the can has been pretty full since Thursday and overly full since Friday. Today on Tuesday morning 9:30 am, it is still overly full.

At home I hate full trash cans, so I normally have a good routine to empty them before they flow over.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #660 on: November 05, 2019, 09:01:05 AM »
Being told to do things that make no sense. Decisions based on what is in our upper management's performance agreements, which were written without the data or analysis. It drives me crazy that we allocating resources to these things that make zero fiscal sense. What is worse I get told to make it happen, and also help justify the political BS.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #661 on: November 05, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
Being told to do things that make no sense. Decisions based on what is in our upper management's performance agreements, which were written without the data or analysis. It drives me crazy that we allocating resources to these things that make zero fiscal sense. What is worse I get told to make it happen, and also help justify the political BS.

Sounds familiar, we do that with whole projects. Decisions are always made by the managers who don't know how complicated the existing system is, or how complicated it is to build a new, bug free software system is. Our current plan is to alter a new system and integrate it with the old existing system. I am happy to be FIREd next year, because I think it will be difficult to test this new system.

MKinVA

• Bristles
« Reply #662 on: November 05, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »
Having to hang around with people I don't like. You go to school and are stuck with the other kids who happen to have been born at the same time. Then you go to work and have to hang around with the people who were hired at the same place as you. Now, after FIRE, I don't have to hang around with anyone I don't want to...for the first time in my life! Yay!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #663 on: November 05, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »
I don't want to care about Daylight Savings Time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #664 on: November 05, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
I don't want to care about Daylight Savings Time.

From what I have heard, Europe was planning to have only one time, no daylight savings time. I could even send in a vote. They were still figuring out whether to keep summer time or winter time.
I was really looking forward to have only one time, but it has been suspiciously quiet around the subject. We will wait and see if the 2020 spring is the last time we switch to summer time and keep it there....

Billy D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #665 on: November 05, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »
Never again having to talk in fake chirpiness to keep up morale for people + tasks I don't particularly care for.

I'm willing to be friendly, decent and polite but the exaggerated affability in American work culture always made me wince.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 11:08:55 AM by romasur »

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #666 on: November 05, 2019, 05:41:03 PM »
Having to talk up year 12's confidence before their exams when realistically they should have done lots more work 6 months ago.  I dislike having to be less than honest.

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #667 on: November 05, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
Never again having to talk in fake chirpiness to keep up morale for people + tasks I don't particularly care for.

I'm willing to be friendly, decent and polite but the exaggerated affability in American work culture always made me wince.

This is what parents do with their kids

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #668 on: November 06, 2019, 06:17:08 AM »
Agile is the worst.  A complete destroyer of productivity.

Can I add "metrics" to that too?

We are a "performance-based" organization, so the other hostages and I spend hours with multiple tracking systems to generate metrics that no one looks at.

When something goes sideways on a project, we have to go through a three hour IEG (Important Expectation Gap) meeting. And, oh yeah, we don't look at the metrics in those meetings either.   

Anoushka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #669 on: November 06, 2019, 06:29:22 AM »

Ha! I love this one. I'm pretty sure this is a reason for my husband to get out of the workforce too.

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #670 on: November 06, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »

Thank you!

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #671 on: November 06, 2019, 11:49:23 AM »
Tired of creating and managing CYA documentation.  Documents which get archived in our controlled doc center "vaults" never to be seen or read again by a breathing person.

What a brutal waste of time and energy.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #672 on: November 07, 2019, 10:27:31 AM »
I absolutely hate waking up early.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #673 on: November 07, 2019, 10:28:06 AM »
I also hate wearing tights.  I HATE THEM.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #674 on: November 07, 2019, 11:02:43 AM »

Are tights a requirement for you to do your job?  If not, can you just stop wearing them?  Maybe switch to something else? (pants?)

wait - are you a superhero?  Is there a cape required as well?

Pants are ok but I  have about 20-30 minutes of walking and 8 months of the year it's like 30 degrees or below, so the types of pants that are comfortable are also really not insulated enough.  I'm allergic to wool so I can't wear wool pants either (business workplace so I'm stuck with materials like polyester, which are fine but are not warm).  So my only option is to wear skirts with tights if I want to be really warm.  Jeans work fine too but I can't wear those to work.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #675 on: November 07, 2019, 11:29:34 AM »

Are tights a requirement for you to do your job?  If not, can you just stop wearing them?  Maybe switch to something else? (pants?)

Pants are ok but I  have about 20-30 minutes of walking and 8 months of the year it's like 30 degrees or below, so the types of pants that are comfortable are also really not insulated enough.  I'm allergic to wool so I can't wear wool pants either (business workplace so I'm stuck with materials like polyester, which are fine but are not warm).  So my only option is to wear skirts with tights if I want to be really warm.  Jeans work fine too but I can't wear those to work.

@Daisyedwards800

You could ware something over your pants, like a pair of rain trousers. That gives an extra layer of insulation and keeps the wind out. In my experience this works very well. Also easy to take off at arrival.

Cali4en

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #676 on: November 07, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »
Our small company got bought by a much larger international firm owned by a complete a-hole and I so loved telling him off in front of the entire international staff of his company.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #677 on: November 08, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
Our small company got bought by a much larger international firm owned by a complete a-hole and I so loved telling him off in front of the entire international staff of his company.
Sounds like an awesome FU-money story!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #678 on: November 11, 2019, 04:51:34 AM »
I want more privacy during the day. Currently sitting in an open office situation, but with a wall behind me. Still people sitting very close to me. This is challenging when I want to clean my nose. Or when I want to take a lady's towel to the bathroom. Or showing something private on my screen. Or taking a phone call.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:16:36 AM by Linea_Norway »

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #679 on: November 11, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »
I feel you on this one, Linea-Norway. Hang in there, you’re soon FIRE!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #680 on: November 11, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »
I love these!  Here's mine; I don't want to have to laugh at another incompetent executives jokes again.  And, I don't want to have to wear makeup.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #681 on: November 11, 2019, 05:24:01 PM »
Saving others arse's when they are incompetent.  I am responsible for writing an exam, collaborating with another colleague, and they haven't put together anything worthwhile despite repeated requests.  Now the final exam needs to be shared with the department, and I finish off their section because it needs to be appropriate for the students.

I need to stop caring so much.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #682 on: November 12, 2019, 01:53:05 AM »
Making vacation requests.  I hate it and don't do it anymore since I switched to self employed + casual work.

Still have to work but I will never ever put myself in the situation where I must request a vacation or day off and have it arbitrarily refused for no operational reason.  Which happened constantly in my last full time job - I had to go through hell to get time off to attend my son's birth, and took passive aggressive grief over it for about 5 years afterwards.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: November 12, 2019, 06:11:49 AM »
I'm tired of pretending to be interested in my job.

I'm also tired of not being able to get anything done on my own at work.  I do about 5 minutes of actual work and then realize I need someone else to provide input or approve something.  So I reach out to them and wait.  I start another task and work for 5 minutes and run into the same damn thing.  So I reach out to someone else and wait again.  I'm never able to work independently for long enough to get into any kind of rhythm (much less a state of "flow").  As someone who thrives on solo work, this is driving me insane.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:24:13 PM by Schaefer Light »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #684 on: November 12, 2019, 07:42:42 AM »
I am currently getting nuts of the tool that we bought (with me in the lead). And I need to find a way to work with it. So farm there is no solution.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #685 on: November 13, 2019, 05:56:49 AM »
My company rarely has meetings but the one we just had took the cake.  Picture Ben Stein in Ferris Buellers Day Off but reading a list of towns in Iowa and there relative distances to each other; and this information was fascinating to my boss. 

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #686 on: November 13, 2019, 11:47:48 AM »

Try wearing leggings under your pants (the cotton and spandex kind not the poly shiny stuff).  I use this method and I'm quite toasty and comfy.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #687 on: November 13, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
Making vacation requests.  I hate it and don't do it anymore since I switched to self employed + casual work.

Still have to work but I will never ever put myself in the situation where I must request a vacation or day off and have it arbitrarily refused for no operational reason.  Which happened constantly in my last full time job - I had to go through hell to get time off to attend my son's birth, and took passive aggressive grief over it for about 5 years afterwards.
Here in socialist Germany not only the mother get maternal leave for up to a year, but also the father can get 3 month. (If I am right the 3 month are substracted from the mother's time and you could also do mother 3 month father 9.)
You don't even need to take it in one go, my boss just got back from a 1 month time and will take the 2 month later (in that year).
The state pays 60% of the income during that time and employers must put you in the same or similar position when you come back.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: November 13, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »
Today's reason: annual training at work. It used to take 2 hours a year. Now we're up to 7.5. Ugh.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #689 on: November 13, 2019, 03:41:03 PM »
Today's reason: annual training at work. It used to take 2 hours a year. Now we're up to 7.5. Ugh.

Yes! Training.  Definitely won't miss that after I take the leap. 

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #690 on: November 13, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »
We have a fancy overpriced oversized coffee machine at work — this thing is probably 3 feet tall and likely costs a few thousand dollars. Unfortunately the coffee tastes like watered-down dirt water and sadness :(

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #691 on: November 14, 2019, 06:52:57 AM »
We have a fancy overpriced oversized coffee machine at work — this thing is probably 3 feet tall and likely costs a few thousand dollars. Unfortunately the coffee tastes like watered-down dirt water and sadness :(
I was going to ask what sad work coffee tastes like, but I suppose any coffee from work is sad coffee :-(

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #692 on: November 14, 2019, 07:17:05 AM »
I was going to ask what sad work coffee tastes like, but I suppose any coffee from work is sad coffee :-(

I am not a coffee drinker, but we have sad chocolate milk at work, from a similar fancy looking machine. The end product just doesn't have much taste at all, it is watery.

Luckily for me, someone has put a pot of cacao beside it, so I always put two spoons of cacao powder in my cup, before I select chocolate milk from the machine. After some mixing, it becomes acceptable.

Home made chocolate milk with chunks of dark chocolate melted into milk and some herbs added is of course even better, but makes you fat.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #693 on: November 14, 2019, 07:53:11 AM »
One feature we have at work is what I call "Lowest Bidder Coffee".  Essentially, work buys massive amounts of the cheapest coffee available. It's brown, usually has a slight oily sheen to it and on a good day, tastes like licking the outside of a Starbucks cup.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: November 14, 2019, 09:21:31 AM »
I've worked here three years.  THREE YEARS and today is the FIRST TIME that they've included a vegetarian option for me in the office wide company lunch.  My petty reason?  Let me quote the company email:

Lunch is here!  It has been put in the refrigerator.  Get it at your leisure.
You will get 1 meal, 1 bag of accessories and 1 CAN of soda.  There are two vegetarian meals for SheWho and Redacted in the meat drawer.

in the MEAT DRAWER - sheesh

Is there any other kind of drawer in a fridge?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #695 on: November 14, 2019, 09:33:56 AM »
I've worked here three years.  THREE YEARS and today is the FIRST TIME that they've included a vegetarian option for me in the office wide company lunch.  My petty reason?  Let me quote the company email:

You will get 1 meal, 1 bag of accessories and 1 CAN of soda.  There are two vegetarian meals for SheWho and Redacted in the meat drawer.

Vegetable crisper!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #696 on: November 14, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »

Are you throwing shade?  Or just unfamiliar with common kitchen appliances?
There are Meat Drawers in a fridge???
Here in Germany we only have vegetables drawers, and surely not because of the lack of meat.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #697 on: November 14, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »

The good coffee at work is the one thing I WILL miss...we have a fancy espresso machine with good coffee beans. The current coffee is actually my favorite that I buy at home (Peets).

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #698 on: November 14, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »

Here in Germany we only have vegetables drawers, and surely not because of the lack of meat.

Every drawer is a meat drawer if your priorities in order.

it was a joke

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #699 on: November 14, 2019, 08:57:15 PM »

Every drawer is a meat drawer if your priorities in order.

it was a joke

So was putting my vegetarian meal in a box with dead animal parts.  I get enough of those jokes at work thank you.
I'm allergic to milk and all things made from it like cheese and butter.  Usually work lunches they will get some bbq wings to go with the pizza, but after a particularly rough work week last week they bought just pizza for the team. 

It smelled like sadness to me :-(