Author Topic: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?  (Read 173997 times)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?
« Reply #600 on: September 16, 2019, 07:33:48 AM »
Workplace bathrooms.
That's one of the things I'll miss!  "Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime..."

Shouldn't that be "Boss makes a dollar, I drop a deuce..." ;)

I would suggest you Google the quote above yours.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #601 on: September 16, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »
Effort Certification.

I made the mistake of trying to change project percentages on the "Annual Effort Certification Report" one of the first years I was working when it didn't at all reflect how I had spent my time. It got returned to me with a note that I couldn't change it . . . I have to certify it "as is" even if it doesn't match my actual effort.

Other years I've tried just ignoring it and that just gets them to badger me to certify it . . . So I can't ignore it and I can't change it, but most years it doesn't match my actual effort very well. Whatever.

Bear in mind that my employer doesn't have externally billed client hours or anything like that; instead, this is busy work on internal codes created by some pencil pusher.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #602 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
So that I can enjoy the rain!   I want to be able to curl up in a blanket with a hot mug of tea and listen to the patter of raindrops against the window.  I want to go out stomping around in puddles when there's a light drizzle and come home windswept and red-cheeked.  No more of this sitting in front of a computer in professional dress, staring longingly out the window as gray clouds roll in.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #603 on: September 17, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
So that I can enjoy the rain!   I want to be able to curl up in a blanket with a hot mug of tea and listen to the patter of raindrops against the window.  I want to go out stomping around in puddles when there's a light drizzle and come home windswept and red-cheeked.  No more of this sitting in front of a computer in professional dress, staring longingly out the window as gray clouds roll in.

Hey, at least you have windows! Not a single window in this entire building.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #604 on: September 17, 2019, 08:05:12 PM »

Windows just set you up for disappointment.  I have one, but it doesn't open.  I spend far too much time pressed up against the glass wishing I could feel the breeze on the other side.  Part time management here runs the AC at far too cold all summer then, switches to far too hot all winter.  Seriously, the winter heat setting is frequently 5-10 degrees F warmer than the summer cool setting (I'll deny this if you repeat it, but I know the settings because someone keeps sneaking into the main office and adjusting them to a more bearable temperature for those of us who work here full time.)
You don't happen to live/work in Texas, do you?  I remember they kept our offices at 60-62 during the hot summers.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: September 18, 2019, 06:55:00 AM »

Windows just set you up for disappointment.  I have one, but it doesn't open.  I spend far too much time pressed up against the glass wishing I could feel the breeze on the other side.  Part time management here runs the AC at far too cold all summer then, switches to far too hot all winter.  Seriously, the winter heat setting is frequently 5-10 degrees F warmer than the summer cool setting (I'll deny this if you repeat it, but I know the settings because someone keeps sneaking into the main office and adjusting them to a more bearable temperature for those of us who work here full time.)
You don't happen to live/work in Texas, do you?  I remember they kept our offices at 60-62 during the hot summers.

This is my office too, but not quite to that extreme.  It's set to cool if it hits 71 degrees F during the summer, I think, and then warms if it gets below ~75 in the winter.  It's not the biggest swing, but I'd like to be able to maybe wear a sweater to work in the winter and not sweat to death, or not need to bring a cardigan to every single meeting I go to. 

I also switch the temperatures on the days I'm here :)  I'm glad I'm not the only one.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: September 18, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
Can't remember if this was mentioned, and I am already retired from Megacorp, but for me it was the darned ID badge.

Needing to have your ID on a lanyard around your neck or clipped to your shirt pocket all day.  Needing to badge in every day.  Searching for your badge in your purse.  Needing to keep track of your badge because if you lost it, the fee is $10 to replace it.  And getting a new badge means waiting to catch the "badge shop" during its limited open hours.  Now, I'm living badge free!!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: September 18, 2019, 08:32:39 AM »
Can't remember if this was mentioned, and I am already retired from Megacorp, but for me it was the darned ID badge.

Needing to have your ID on a lanyard around your neck or clipped to your shirt pocket all day.  Needing to badge in every day.  Searching for your badge in your purse.  Needing to keep track of your badge because if you lost it, the fee is $10 to replace it.  And getting a new badge means waiting to catch the "badge shop" during its limited open hours.  Now, I'm living badge free!!

Ole SemiBigCorp instituted badges for our little, 20 person, shop after I left.
A petty enough reason to STAY  FIREd.
I could see the tidal wave of SemiBigCorp stupidity heading our way, so I left before it hit.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #608 on: September 18, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »
I hate having to do anything because I have to do it. My employer is great, plenty of paid time off (6.5 weeks including holidays), understanding, kind and I’m never micromanaged. They pay me well, pay 80% of my families health premiums, match my 401k, etc, etc, etc. I despise every morning that I get up to go, only because I have to go. Comparing my job to 90% of people I should want to work there forever.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #609 on: September 18, 2019, 10:10:00 AM »

^ This.  I'm definitely less productive and focused on rainy days because I keep wanting to stare longingly out the windows.

That said, a building with no windows sounds like a torture chamber in the making, holy shit.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #610 on: September 18, 2019, 10:21:06 AM »

Sometimes when I wake up on a rainy morning, there's a brief moment where my brain tells me I don't have to go to work today. Then disappointment sets in as I realize days off for rain aren't a thing.

availablelight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #611 on: September 19, 2019, 04:10:05 AM »
My most petty reason is my number one reason: I want everyone to leave me alone.

Saw the thread title, thought about posting this, saw it in the second reply.  Well done.

Other than that, I never want to hear an alarm clock again*.  I'll also echo others' comments about afternoon naps.

*I'll probably continue to need one for when I inevitably put off packing until late the night before going on a trip that requires taking a train or plane somewhere.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: September 20, 2019, 09:48:45 PM »
Other than that, I never want to hear an alarm clock again*.  I'll also echo others' comments about afternoon naps.

*I'll probably continue to need one for when I inevitably put off packing until late the night before going on a trip that requires taking a train or plane somewhere.
I don't mind an alarm clock...for special things.  As an every-day thing, though....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2019, 06:38:07 AM »

I don't mind an alarm clock...for special things.  As an every-day thing, though....
Lol - DH still works, and we normally get up at 5. He's out the door by 5:40. I get up with him, make his breakfast, pack his lunch, then go back to bed. Currently, I'm awake but hoping to fall back to sleep. Just now, he stirred, turned over, looked at the clock and mumbled, in a worried voice,  "Oh baby, no alarm!". "Don't worry, it's Sunday" says Dicey, and back to sleep he goes. Can't wait until he retires!

The surprising part about this story is that I know what day it is.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2019, 03:40:08 PM »

I love this. And the same goes for snow. I want to stay inside where it's warm and cozy and sip a mug of cocoa while I watch the snow flying.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #615 on: September 22, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »
Not having to wear a bra.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #616 on: September 30, 2019, 02:14:52 AM »
To be able to go on trips and vacations when the circumstances as best, the travel is cheapest and without asking for permission for time off.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #617 on: October 02, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
To be able to go on trips and vacations when the circumstances as best, the travel is cheapest and without asking for permission for time off.

I've found that having a kiddo in school has been the absolute biggest killer of vacation budgets. 

Though my husband's now-former employer made him buy back PTO (instead of offering LWOP) two weeks before we left for our last big trip.  Then still insinuated that he might not have a job when he got back.  He called her bluff and cleaned out his office before he left...just in case.  The only thing that was ever said after he got back was by another employee that used it as an excuse when she wanted time off ("but he got to take off...why can't I?")

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: October 02, 2019, 01:57:37 PM »

I've found that having a kiddo in school has been the absolute biggest killer of vacation budgets. 
Heh, that's one of the many benefits of homeschooling--you're not constrained by the public school schedule.  Wanna take a trip to somewhere warm during the winter, but want to avoid the Christmas rush?  No problem, go hit Florida at the end of January! :)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #619 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »

Heh, that's one of the many benefits of homeschooling--you're not constrained by the public school schedule.  Wanna take a trip to somewhere warm during the winter, but want to avoid the Christmas rush?  No problem, go hit Florida at the end of January! :)
But then you have to homeschool....pettiest reason to NOT FIRE.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #620 on: October 03, 2019, 10:09:38 AM »
And I want to be able to sleep like this morning. For some not understandable readon my alarm clock went off at 6:30 am on a Sunday. I turned it off and slept again until 8. If I could ever sleep to a natural time every day, that would be so great.
YES!! I would love to sleep until I wake up and not until the alarm decides it is time to wake up.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #621 on: October 05, 2019, 01:37:39 PM »
Just getting rid of my three-hour commute and being able to have mid-day naps.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: October 06, 2019, 06:08:11 PM »
Not having to wear a bra.

This made me snort laughter!

Mako52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #623 on: October 07, 2019, 07:03:40 AM »
Corporate politics and backstabbing. 
Pipeline/backlog reports. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #624 on: October 10, 2019, 05:33:30 AM »
So on days when my allergies are kicking my ass, I don't have to drag my ass into the office because calling in sick the day before an already long weekend is frowned upon.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #625 on: October 10, 2019, 06:55:10 AM »
So I don't have to listen to co-workers' and clients' racist and homophobic talk.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #626 on: October 10, 2019, 07:20:15 AM »
So that I no longer need to pretend what we are talking about her at the office, if the technical details go way above my not so technical head.

lisabobisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #627 on: October 10, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »
Teacher here.... my petty reasons:
1) Because of recent events in schools, all doors have to be locked at all times, which means I have to get up 20 billion times a day to open the door for silly reasons!  LEAVE ME (and my class) ALONE!!
2) Not having to wake up with an alarm
3) Being able to go to the gym at 1 pm which is the slowest time, vs. 5 am and 7 pm which are the busiest times!
4) Books.... all the books.

Lgx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #628 on: October 10, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »
I never want to be forced to log into ADP to request an off day ever again. If it please ye, sire, I ask that you approve 1 of my 14 days to not have to be here in this wretched hellscape.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #629 on: October 10, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
No more bus rides with 12 year olds who get motion sickness.  Excursions.  Meh.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #630 on: October 11, 2019, 03:40:18 AM »
No more having to witness coworkers cutting their nails at their desks!

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #631 on: October 11, 2019, 01:26:04 PM »
- Only having to talk to the people that I choose to.

- No more meetings!

- Being able to live with my normal body clock: go to bed ~ midnight, get up ~ 7:30 am.

- More time with the cats. DH spends way more time with him, so my cat now prefers him.

- Having coffee on the deck in the morning, instead of in my car.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #632 on: October 23, 2019, 02:19:17 AM »
I honestly don't mind my work as it is currently, but one thing I will certainly not miss when I eventually leave this place is the insufferable crapchat of the Sales department who are unfortunately located right next to my desk (I'mone of the quiet ones in IT).

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #633 on: October 23, 2019, 10:50:14 AM »
The lighting in the bathroom on my floor at work is horrible - I can't figure out how they've designed a lighting situation that shows every gray hair, stray chin hair, wrinkle, blemish while giving you the complexion of an anemic jaundice sufferer.

You can't avoid seeing yourself - there is a giant mirror above the sinks.

I leave the house thinking I'm looking cute, visit the bathroom and I'm depressed at how old, tired and yellow I look and how did a chin hair grow 2 inches overnight?

I'm only looking in the mirror in flattering lighting after I FIRE.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #634 on: October 23, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
Sick of the politics and the deeper I go into why things are done and trying to solve all the problems the more I am disillusioned.  I want to stop giving a @#$! and focus on something else.

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #635 on: October 23, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »
Sounds like most of the reasons listed in this thread amount to...

"Not having to put up with people's bullshit"

...which is a great reason to want to RE. It's not petty at all.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: October 25, 2019, 03:59:25 AM »
You know when a birthday/leaving/baby/whatever card is passed around the office for you to sign and contribute towards... you duly do your bit and then find some poor shmuck who hasn't yet signed/contributed to pass the whole thing on to, thereby taking it off your hands.... yeah, I won't miss that ONE BIT.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: October 28, 2019, 03:11:48 PM »
To avoid the constant stress of feeling rushed to do things.  I always try to get my work done as quickly as I can without sacrificing quality.  I don't need someone emailing me at 10AM to say they need my solution for a client by noon.  But once I see the email I bust my ass to get it done in the 2 hours I've been given.  And then I hate myself for being such a people-pleaser.  What I should do is start missing these deadlines on purpose.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #638 on: October 28, 2019, 05:03:13 PM »
To avoid the constant stress of feeling rushed to do things.  I always try to get my work done as quickly as I can without sacrificing quality.  I don't need someone emailing me at 10AM to say they need my solution for a client by noon.  But once I see the email I bust my ass to get it done in the 2 hours I've been given.  And then I hate myself for being such a people-pleaser.  What I should do is start missing these deadlines on purpose.
This is me too and I kind of hate it!  I was proud of myself today though, there was a thing that I do every day that usually takes me 5 or so minutes, but for some reason there was a few hours worth of work today.  So I did some of it and told them the rest would get done when I had time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #639 on: October 29, 2019, 01:38:23 AM »
This is me too and I kind of hate it!  I was proud of myself today though, there was a thing that I do every day that usually takes me 5 or so minutes, but for some reason there was a few hours worth of work today.  So I did some of it and told them the rest would get done when I had time.

DH sometimes gets requests from people in other departments who have not informed him of an assignment, but contact DH Friday at noon and stress him to add his part of the deal before Friday afternoon (4 pm). In the past DH would stress about such things and was very disappointed that they hadn't warned him earlier. Now he just laughs at them and ignores them.

It is important to set boundaries for your coworkers, but it certainly helps to have some FU money.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #640 on: October 29, 2019, 05:19:41 AM »
Allergies + medical mask = gross

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #641 on: October 29, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »
Timesheets. Filling in sodding, pointless, justify-your-existence timesheets.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #642 on: October 29, 2019, 02:41:53 PM »
Having to redo work which was already done by another team who were incompetent. 

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #643 on: October 29, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
Having to redo work which was already done by another team who were incompetent.
Or having to redo work because the process has changed (again) and now the work you did last week can't be used because there's a new process in place....which you didn't know you needed to follow when you did the work the first time.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #644 on: October 29, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »
So today someone was asking me about a thing I do every day, and I honestly don't know who, if anyone, actually needs that work to be done.  Turns out that it's likely that literally no one actually needs this work done, bah!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: October 29, 2019, 04:40:05 PM »
internal audit and DFARS compliance

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: October 29, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »
Or having to redo work because the process has changed (again) and now the work you did last week can't be used because there's a new process in place....which you didn't know you needed to follow when you did the work the first time.

So true! new process or you must submit it in a new format using a new template (because they just updated it).

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: October 30, 2019, 03:00:37 AM »
So today someone was asking me about a thing I do every day, and I honestly don't know who, if anyone, actually needs that work to be done.  Turns out that it's likely that literally no one actually needs this work done, bah!

Been there. A large part of my previous job was creating reports that I could demonstrate had not been accessed by anyone for years. Not only that, but the reports were so badly thought out that they weren't even close to measuring what they were so supposed to be measuring. Do you think I could convince anyone that they were a waste of time???

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: October 30, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »

Or like my DH: having repair the relationship with unhappy customers because your coworker who delivered a report to the customer is so incredibly incompetent. DH has now stepped down from being the manager and is happy that it is now not him who needs to talk to these customers.

And before you ask: in Norway it is not at all easy to get someone fired. You always have to give the employee another chance and document for a long time in detail what went wrong. And even then it is a long and probably expensive process. DH has done all this documentation and had the talks with the employee, and given the coworker a 0% salary increase in the hope that he would quit voluntarily. But so he is still there. We think the rumor of his incompetence has spread through the branch and he cannot easily get another job. DH handed over the employee file to the new manager, so that he has an easier process to fire the guy.

The coworker normally asks DH loads of questions per day to get his work done, even though he has 7 years of experience and shouldn't need to do this. Now he asked DH about his "year off" period in 2020. Would DH be accessible by phone in 2020 for professional questions? ;-)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: October 30, 2019, 06:00:35 AM »
Not getting an email response from anyone at the audit client

It's been a couple weeks, and I've emailed a handful of people with zero response. As far as I know, my emails are just going to spam.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!