Author Topic: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?  (Read 174018 times)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?
« Reply #400 on: May 26, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »
Time in the garden can not be considered a petty thing!

I think of gardening as a relaxing pastime for those who like it  and one of FIRE's rewards for having long endured the stress and sundry aggravations of working. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:03:07 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #401 on: May 26, 2019, 08:51:23 PM »
If I chose to FIRE solely so I could win this thread, would that be considered petty enough?

Engineer93

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #402 on: May 27, 2019, 04:19:32 AM »
I love taking a nap.  When I retire I plan to take one every day.  Can’t do that right now with work.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: May 27, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »
there are a couple guys in the office that have nasty throat clearing noises.   

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #404 on: May 27, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
I imagine my pettiest reasons involve not wanting to be around my loud co-workers, my cackling co-workers, those with deep coughs, and so on. I would like to be able to ditch the 90-day password rule, but my bank requires it too.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #405 on: May 27, 2019, 09:46:14 PM »
My boss is a heavy smoker and smells appallingly like an old ash tray after a smoke break. I can barely stand to be in his presence during these times.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #406 on: May 28, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »
If I chose to FIRE solely so I could win this thread, would that be considered petty enough?

Sounds pretty petty to me. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2019, 02:52:56 PM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned office radio yet. Having to listen to the radio at work is probably my least favourite part of being employed.

Where I worked there would often be someone listening to the constant venom spewed by right-wing talking heads.  So very glad I never have to listen to that hate-filled, ignorant clap-trap ever again.

Or Fox "infotainment" masquerading as news. 

==

Never having to listen to someone go on and on about some sports ball team in agonizing detail.   Over and over again, one game after another.   

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
Time in the garden can not be considered a petty thing!

Especially since the best time to be in the garden is when you are at work :(

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #409 on: June 02, 2019, 10:59:41 PM »
My boss is a heavy smoker and smells appallingly like an old ash tray after a smoke break. I can barely stand to be in his presence during these times.
OMG, this is the opposite of petty, especially for a pregnant woman. How do you stand it???

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #410 on: June 03, 2019, 04:55:02 AM »
I thought of a good one.  I'm the youngest sibling by 7 and 9 years, and I want to retire earlier than either of them and with more money.

To be fair I do egg both of them on to save more, but I still want to win!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #411 on: June 03, 2019, 05:13:09 AM »
Not sure whether I mentioned this before, but I want to experience some years of freedom in relative good health before more and more bodily decay that comes with old age sets in.

I have heard the same argument for people who lives as adventurers (with some sponsor money). They want to live out their adventures, while they are still young and healthy.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: June 03, 2019, 10:07:32 AM »
Not sure whether I mentioned this before, but I want to experience some years of freedom in relative good health before more and more bodily decay that comes with old age sets in.

I have heard the same argument for people who lives as adventurers (with some sponsor money). They want to live out their adventures, while they are still young and healthy.
This isn’t petty at all in my mind but a fairly fundamental reason we should all want to seek FI.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: June 03, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »
OMG, this is the opposite of petty, especially for a pregnant woman. How do you stand it???
It is slightly less awful now that I am last the stage of most scent sensitivity, but it is really tough. The weird thing for me is that I expect smoking to be treated with a bit of shame in our society and for smokers to not hide, but not flaunt their habit. My boss comes recently from a different country with a much higher smoking rate and he doesn’t seem to have picked up on this. The admittedly few people I have known who did smoke went to great lengths to hide their habits whereas my boss talks merrily on a revisit basis about smoke breaks.

I find myself wondering if there is a non-rude way to give him a JUUL ecig as a gift. 

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: June 10, 2019, 04:19:13 AM »
Open floor plan offices with low cubicle walls. Whoever invented them can eat a dick and die. They’re noisy, distracting, and awkward.

I hate always having someone in my line of sight especially when they are only 3 feet away. I managed to create a visual barrier so I’m not staring at the person on the other side of the cubicle wall all the time, but it doesn’t help with the noise.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #415 on: June 10, 2019, 04:59:13 AM »
Open floor plan offices with low cubicle walls. Whoever invented them can eat a dick and die. They’re noisy, distracting, and awkward.

I hate always having someone in my line of sight especially when they are only 3 feet away. I managed to create a visual barrier so I’m not staring at the person on the other side of the cubicle wall all the time, but it doesn’t help with the noise.
On that same line, the terrible hissing noise that the ventilation is designed to produce all day every day as a noise barrier.  I just hate that noise so much!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #416 on: June 10, 2019, 06:18:21 AM »

On that same line, the terrible hissing noise that the ventilation is designed to produce all day every day as a noise barrier.  I just hate that noise so much!

I could probably deal with the white noise. For me it’s the conversations and doors opening and closing. Those are Harder for me to ignore. Those little annoyances add up though. I get it.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: June 10, 2019, 06:42:40 AM »
I just received notes to clear for an audit that I did the work for three months ago. Apparently, my manager waited three months to go over my work and somehow thinks I'll be able to recall information from then. She's wanting notes on things that are irrelevant to the purpose of the audit.

Also, our busy season just started, so I have a plethora of other things to work on.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:25:41 AM by DadJokes »

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #418 on: June 10, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
WTF, if your system remembers 13 old passwords, that has gotta be hackable.

If they're hashed properly it's not insecure to store X number of previous passwords, although 13 is excessive.  However, checking to see if a password is SIMILAR to a previous one means that the passwords are not hashed, and are retrievable by the system/a user, which is a BIG no-no in password security (password hashing is one way, even the system itself can't get a password back from it's hash).  That's a way worse security violation than reusing a password, or using a similar password.

Huh? Weird that I'd never thought about this before.

This is kind of frightening as it seems like every government system I have to log into check against around 10 of your last passwords. Not surprising I guess that my data has been stolen by the Chinese like a dozen times at this point.

Anyway, for another petty reason:

Had my mid-year performance review, and I'm tired of having to lie about what "professional development" I'm going to pursue. Or that I care whatsoever about doing "training." It's getting tiresome.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: June 11, 2019, 12:23:04 AM »
Anyway, for another petty reason:

Had my mid-year performance review, and I'm tired of having to lie about what "professional development" I'm going to pursue. Or that I care whatsoever about doing "training." It's getting tiresome.

I recently had a performance review, but didn't get this question. We obviously don't have many career options, just a job.

My problem is that I often get excellent reviews, but am told that there is almost no money to give to those with the highest reviews. Luckily I don't need it anymore to FIRE next year.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #420 on: June 11, 2019, 05:48:04 AM »
I just received notes to clear for an audit that I did the work for three months ago. Apparently, my manager waited three months to go over my work and somehow thinks I'll be able to recall information from then. She's wanting notes on things that are irrelevant to the purpose of the audit.

Also, our busy season just started, so I have a plethora of other things to work on.
You just brought back daymares for me. Why does anyone think this is OK for the manager to do? Two weeks is the max it should ever be-or they should bring in another manager. But I am not doing busy season this year!!! I may go to the pool today just because I can. Happy FIRE....

Petty reason 1,001....so I don’t have to clear any more petty and stupid review notes.

Bruin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #421 on: June 11, 2019, 07:46:10 AM »
My petty reason:

I want to say what I want to say about politics, religion, culture etc without having to be confined by a work place policy or normal.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: June 11, 2019, 11:57:15 AM »
My petty reason:

I want to say what I want to say about politics, religion, culture etc without having to be confined by a work place policy or normal.

Good one! As a realtor, I don't say anything political because people on both sides of the aisle need houses and I don't want to alienate anybody. But after FIREing in July, I could even volunteer for a campaign!

dmmms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #423 on: June 11, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
So I don't have to pretend to care about some of the stupid stuff and things I'm expected to. No, I don't need your opinion or random thoughts about nothing of importance beyond this minuscule place and time in the grand scheme of everything.

firestarter2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #424 on: June 11, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »
I love this thread so much. I actually like my job, but there are so many things I'm looking forward to filling my day with instead. Even just being able to sip my coffee at a leisurely pace instead of gulping it down and then scrambling to get a kid off to school and myself to work.

I'm also going to love never having to hear the corporate jargon that's particularly prevalent in my company. For some reason people like to say "planful," meaning "let's be thoughtful as we plan this new project/initiative out." It drives me NUTS.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #425 on: June 12, 2019, 12:58:03 AM »
I love this thread so much. I actually like my job, but there are so many things I'm looking forward to filling my day with instead. Even just being able to sip my coffee at a leisurely pace instead of gulping it down and then scrambling to get a kid off to school and myself to work.

I'm also going to love never having to hear the corporate jargon that's particularly prevalent in my company. For some reason people like to say "planful," meaning "let's be thoughtful as we plan this new project/initiative out." It drives me NUTS.

Planful? That’s just jibberish :D

I also won’t miss corporate word salad. One saying that really grates on me is when managers say “I have a big ask”, or “here’s my ask”. Damn it just use the word request like a normal person. Nobody would ever say stuff like that in real life if management wasn’t saying it.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #426 on: June 12, 2019, 06:02:37 AM »
I actually enjoy my job, but not at the expense of having to actually spend time doing it, if that makes sense. Plus I find pretending to be enthusiastic and caring about stupid ideas and co-workers exhausting. I'm always "on". I just wanna read a fucking book in quiet with a nice cup of tea in my garden thanks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: June 12, 2019, 06:43:36 AM »
I actually enjoy don't really mind my job, but not at the expense of having to actually spend time doing it, if that makes sense. Plus I find pretending to be enthusiastic and caring about stupid ideas and co-workers exhausting. I'm always "on". I just wanna read a fucking book in quiet with a nice cup of tea in my garden thanks.

:-)

+1
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:56:41 AM by Linea_Norway »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: June 12, 2019, 06:52:51 AM »
Plus I find pretending to be enthusiastic and caring about stupid ideas and co-workers exhausting. I'm always "on".

One of my sisters told me she "hates having to be on."

She'll be a FIREee within a few years.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:55:29 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

5Oclocksomewhere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #429 on: June 12, 2019, 07:00:23 AM »
Yesterday, while I was at my desk web-surfing at 4pm, I was going to write: "Having to be at my desk until 4:30, even though I will accomplish nothing else but surfing the web for the rest of the day."  And then I suddenly remembered I already gave notice that I was retiring. So instead, I just left. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #430 on: June 12, 2019, 07:14:05 AM »
Yesterday, while I was at my desk web-surfing at 4pm, I was going to write: "Having to be at my desk until 4:30, even though I will accomplish nothing else but surfing the web for the rest of the day."  And then I suddenly remembered I already gave notice that I was retiring. So instead, I just left.
Good on you! When is your last day?

I just remembered, in a horrible flash, something else I don't miss. Call reports. OMG, I hated them! In sales, the numbers tell the story. If my numbers are good and my customers are happy, leave me the fuck alone! Expense reports are a close, but distant, second. I hated keeping track of all those paper receipts, but I was happy to drive a company car and have my cell phone paid for, so at least there was value for the time spent, unlike call reports. And banking those reimbursement checks was always mitigating fun.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:07:53 AM by Dicey »

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #431 on: June 12, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »

I love this.  :)

For roughly the last year I was working, I just left work when I was done.  I probably averaged somewhere around 35-37 hours a week, and no one said anything.  I did have to burn down my PTO balance, but I valued those extra hours a lot more than I would have valued the PTO payout as part of my last paycheck. 

5Oclocksomewhere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #432 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »
@Dicey - After my last day on July 5th, I will no longer be annoyed by that one sneaky co-worker who never cleans up after themselves and simply leaves their dirty dishes in the communal kitchen sink.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #433 on: June 12, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
@Dicey - After my last day on July 5th, I will no longer be annoyed by that one sneaky co-worker who never cleans up after themselves and simply leaves their dirty dishes in the communal kitchen sink.
I'm about ready to start just throwing all that crap in the trash.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
Today I was getting a rather deep cavity drilled and filled at the dentist. I was also having an unusually stressful day at work. I was trying to decide if I would rather have my teeth drilled Over and over again or keep going through these very stressful days. Which would be worse? I decided that the teeth drilling wasn’t all that bad, at least they numb your mouth first, and the dentist is nice enough.

MMM123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #435 on: June 23, 2019, 01:00:40 AM »
Driving 200km a day
Missing all sunshine (at least in winter months)
Missing sundowner drinks at home
Grafting for other people's profit
Red tape

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #436 on: June 24, 2019, 12:43:51 AM »
This time of the year: not having a/c in the office, in an office on the top floor, right under the roof, with large windows. I don't have a/c at home either but it's maybe 25C when it's 35C outside. At work it's 30+ and that's just too uncomfortable to work. I don't want to be a sweaty mess at work.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: June 24, 2019, 04:45:47 AM »
Right now my partner and I miss out on every tax concession there is, because we are on above-average income. Once I retire and our passive income falls down to the 'average' range, we will suddenly be eligible for a huge raft of middle class welfare. Concessions left right and centre! It will be so nice to be able to be a sponger for once! I'm really looking forward to that.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #438 on: June 24, 2019, 05:49:39 AM »
I never want to have to organise a software fix release ever again. Today we were told to make the next fix for our new release. Goodbye quiet summer period.
What I hate even more with summer time fix releases, is that others are planning this fix and the test periods in the weeks that I have protested against. It doesn't matter what I say, they don't take it into them.

I have experienced this before, coming back from a 4 week vacation and right into an FAT. Too much chaos and stress for me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:34:42 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: June 24, 2019, 06:01:19 AM »
And another one. That I never again have to deal with company Skype meetings. It always takes at least 10 minutes before the sound works properly. Today, I tried to connect with the modern sound system in the meeting room. It sort of worked in the beginning and the customers who joined by skype heard us and we heard them, although they sometimes breathed a bit loudly. But during the meeting, many times the system complained about my network connection being too bad. I had to rejoin the skype meeting and after that it failed several times again. Until I gave up and plugged in a Jabra thing. At least, that worked. Never again I want to use bluetooth sound systems on a shitty network. And why does my PC have a shitty network connect in the first place? At my home all works fine, including wireless music systems.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: June 24, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
I never want to have to organise a software fix release ever again. Today we were told to make the next fix for our new release. Goodbye quiet summer period.

I work on cloud stuff so no concept of fixed release times anymore - we are always releasing stuff. But I share your feelings about this. I have come to absolutely hate my daily 9:45am scrum - this is one of my main reasons for wanting to quit :-)

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #441 on: June 24, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
I love not answering the phone.  For decades, I had to answer after the third ring if staff didn't get the phone first.

Now I might glance over to see who is calling. 

So nice not be interrupted all the time!

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #442 on: June 24, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »
Wow, this thread is awesome.  I would like to say though, some of these reasons are not petty at all and should be the main drivers for retiring early!

I thought of a petty reason today:  My closet is about 2/3 work clothes and 1/3 "civilian" clothes.  I want my whole closet back.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #443 on: June 24, 2019, 12:13:07 PM »
I would like to eat lunch at home and not have to rush through breakfast.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: June 24, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
I just want to see some really big numbers on a spreadsheet.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #445 on: June 24, 2019, 11:33:47 PM »

I work on cloud stuff so no concept of fixed release times anymore - we are always releasing stuff. But I share your feelings about this. I have come to absolutely hate my daily 9:45am scrum - this is one of my main reasons for wanting to quit :-)

I work with a safety critical system, so lots of official procedures to follow and meetings to have, thick test plans and test reports to produce, customers present at our tests and running a couple of days with live data and pretending real world usage. So a fix release is a couple of weeks extra work, even if we have the software fixed in an hour.

I hate my 12 o'clock scrum too. It is like having someone looking over your shoulder all day to see how much you work.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: June 25, 2019, 02:24:55 AM »
I hate my 12 o'clock scrum too. It is like having someone looking over your shoulder all day to see how much you work.

Same :-) This feeling of having someone watching over your shoulder really grates on me!

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #447 on: June 25, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »

Our organization is in the process of implementing agile, and I've been telling people that it's going to burn people out and make them miserable. The group I used to be a part of used it, and while it's certainly amazing at pumping out a lot of work in a hurry, in my opinion it's at the detriment to the employees.

I already dislike our weekly "status" meeting. Having to do a meeting every single day would probably be the breaking point for me (luckily I don't do software dev, so no worries yet about daily scrums).

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #448 on: June 25, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
This is hilarious.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: June 27, 2019, 11:13:41 AM »
My grandma also hated cooking.  She cooked and baked but from necessity in order to feed 4 kids. A lot of household chores were much harder when she was young though from plucking chickens, to boiling the laundry in a huge tub to knitting socks and making clothes for the entire family. My parents cooked because they had to in order to feed us but both worked full time in all consuming jobs.  When I was in my teens I took an interest in cooking (partly because I was sick of the fish sticks and powdered mashed potato that my mother served up) and I had basically taken over family cooking and shopping by age 15-16.  My mother was a single mother who worked long hours.  For a while, I entertained the idea of becoming a chef, but working part time as a kitchen hand in a restaurant cured me of that desire.

I did the same as a teenager. The funny thing is, well into adulthood I still believed I was just a super picky eater, because I hated and refused to eat nearly everything my parents cooked, and mostly subsisted on sandwiches, cereal, and raw fruit/veg from our garden and fruit trees/bushes. Well, it turns out I'm not a picky eater at all, they're just terrible cooks!

Ha ha - same here.  Actually each of parents is not a bad cook when they put in the effort but the problem was that they are both kind of workaholics so their work always came first.  Food was just a way to keep body and soul together.  My parents each put in some effort and made nice food for holidays though.

I'm more of a "llive to eat" kind of person.  I remember as a teenager making home made pasta, pad thai, 7 layer cakes, osso buco, chicken liver pate and quenelles.  I used to pore over recipe books and attempt to make the foods that appealed to me.  As a side effect, I became a pretty good home cook so I started making dinner most nights for the family as a teenager.  My mother often worked late or travelled for work so she was very happy to let me do the shopping and cooking.

Right there with you both but I was cooking full meals at 7. My parents divorced and mom worked really long hours so if I wanted to eat I would cook for myself and my older brother. This was the early 80's so I would read our Bettycrocker cookbook and or the packaging instructions and cook. I still own that cookbook, every once in a while I will bake something out of it.