Author Topic: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?  (Read 174012 times)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2019, 09:23:52 PM »
^Nice! Dongles are another perfectly valid petty reason for FIRE.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2019, 09:35:41 PM »
My most petty reason? I don't like being told what to do . . . by anyone . . . for any reason. Most of the time that just means I'm being petty.

Basically, shooting for this: (nsfw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfeXqHFmPI

edited to add the brilliant modern take by jlcollins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikbQPldhPY

Ni-ice. *tips hat*

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2019, 02:41:29 AM »
Thanks Greentothecore that cheered me up this morning😉

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2019, 04:06:00 AM »
I am a Lazy person that forced myself out of that comfort zone long enough!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2019, 06:57:02 AM »
The office coffee always tastes burnt, even if I make it fresh and even after we bought a new machine.  How?

Does it have a warmer pan you can't turn off? Or that always seems to be left on so that when the pot is empty the last bit crusts to the bottom and it gets all smokey?

It's a mystery.  We bought a new, uncrusted machine 2 weeks ago, and even if I make it with the exact proportions I like, and serve myself right away, it's still burnt.  The best I can do is water it down. I literally fill my mug with water, microwave it to the right temp, and add a few dribbles of coffee until the color looks right. 

It might be the coffee itself, but we rotate brands and they all taste weird.  I started using a french press exclusively at home, and I have one particular kind I get at Costco that I am in love with, so maybe I'm just a snob now *shrugs*

Maybe you just need a coffee filter funnel. I make my own coffee at work this way.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:35 AM »
The JL Collins version:
https://youtu.be/eikbQPldhPY

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »
For some reason this reminded me of a post I saw a while back.  I don't remember who or what thread, but she said she would set an alarm in the morning just so she could laugh and turn it off.  So cruel. 

Laughing at all the people fighting morning traffic before nodding back off is a decently petty reason.

A few especially frustrating days, I've imagined setting an alarm for my post-FIRE weekdays, just so I can turn on the radio, listen to the traffic report and gloat to myself, "Poor suckers."

God, I'm petty sometimes.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2019, 04:18:08 AM »
^Nice! Dongles are another perfectly valid petty reason for FIRE.

so is PowerPoint.

My most petty reason? I hate meetings and I hate clocks.

I would like to FIRE so I can quit teaching. It's not the kids. It's the parents. Seriously.
God YES. What a bunch of fucking enablers and whiners today's parents are. They try and game EVERYTHING.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:22:11 AM by facepalm »

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2019, 09:23:35 AM »
For some reason this reminded me of a post I saw a while back.  I don't remember who or what thread, but she said she would set an alarm in the morning just so she could laugh and turn it off.  So cruel. 

Laughing at all the people fighting morning traffic before nodding back off is a decently petty reason.

A few especially frustrating days, I've imagined setting an alarm for my post-FIRE weekdays, just so I can turn on the radio, listen to the traffic report and gloat to myself, "Poor suckers."

God, I'm petty sometimes.

I would never set an alarm if I didn't have to. I relish the day when I can sleep through the night without work stress waking me up at 3:00 a.m.

And I would love to never have to live through another tax season. Tax Season? FU!

I would also love to adopt a rescue dog.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
I never want to hear another aggressive "GOOOOOD MORNING!!!!!" from that one co-worker who I run into in the breakroom every morning when I am just trying to get my damn coffee in peace. Jesus Christ, how can he be that unrelentingly cheerful every damned morning?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »
I never want to hear another aggressive "GOOOOOD MORNING!!!!!" from that one co-worker who I run into in the breakroom every morning when I am just trying to get my damn coffee in peace. Jesus Christ, how can he be that unrelentingly cheerful every damned morning?

I'm totally that coworker.
It's a good thing I'm rarely in the office.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: March 30, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »

When I've been that coworker, I feel like the greeting translates to "Shields Up, Red Alert, Grumpy person inbound". 
To be clear, only one person at work got that treatment.
I once walked into a hotel for a field job, and was greeted by, "What the f$ck are doing here?"

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2019, 11:50:31 AM »

When I've been that coworker, I feel like the greeting translates to "Shields Up, Red Alert, Grumpy person inbound". 
To be clear, only one person at work got that treatment.
I once walked into a hotel for a field job, and was greeted by, "What the f$ck are doing here?"

I'm just genuinely really energetic at the beginning of most workdays.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »
I used to have a coworker who would make the same joke every single morning (from a famous Dutch comedy series). I am so glad I don't work there anymore. He was a nice guy but man, I was instantly grumpy every time I heard that.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2019, 01:58:09 PM »
I used to work in a modern glass/steel building in the middle of the city. We had great floor to ceiling windows all around the office building. However, when the sun came round in the afternoon, the automatic blinds would go all the way down (summer and winter). For every window. Even the ones that were in the shade. Every time, it felt like some prison door shutting down. Not only was I stuck in an office in beautiful weather, now I couldn't even SEE the beautiful weather.

I would usually go over to a panel beside the entry door and manually press the "up" button, raising the blinds to where the people working at the window could still work without the sun glaring in their screens. That lasted about an hour until the automatic mechanism would kick in again and fully lower the blinds.

Sometimes, I was stuck in awful, neverending conf calls and I couldn't do my blind-lifting trick. If I was lucky, a colleague would jump in and press the "up" button.

Now that I am FIREd I really enjoy being outdoors on sunny days and definitely do not miss being stuck in semi-darkness with artificial light.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »
I used to work in a modern glass/steel building in the middle of the city. We had great floor to ceiling windows all around the office building. However, when the sun came round in the afternoon, the automatic blinds would go all the way down (summer and winter). For every window. Even the ones that were in the shade. Every time, it felt like some prison door shutting down. Not only was I stuck in an office in beautiful weather, now I couldn't even SEE the beautiful weather.

I would usually go over to a panel beside the entry door and manually press the "up" button, raising the blinds to where the people working at the window could still work without the sun glaring in their screens. That lasted about an hour until the automatic mechanism would kick in again and fully lower the blinds.

Sometimes, I was stuck in awful, neverending conf calls and I couldn't do my blind-lifting trick. If I was lucky, a colleague would jump in and press the "up" button.

Now that I am FIREd I really enjoy being outdoors on sunny days and definitely do not miss being stuck in semi-darkness with artificial light.

I sit in a new part of the building. When the sun shines, the blinds to down automatically on the other side. But on my side, it is reflected by the snow and glates into my screen. They don't go down automatically on my side. The manual button is on the other side of the desk group. So every day I need to walk around and press the button when my screen is getting blinded. Then I need to remember to put them up manually many hours later, otherwise they will stay down forever.

I also love natural sunlight and the outdoors and think it is a petty that we need to use blinds most of the day.

I just came back from a skiing trip at our cabin in the mountains. DH and I had both forgotten our ski glasses, but the sun was really sharp. Luckily we found some fishing glasses that cover your face well. We have been skiing in those.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2019, 03:00:26 PM »
That reminds me of my school. When we got automatic blinds it was incredible how punctual they worked: When the sun vanished behind a cloud, the blinds would go down, and when the sun came out again, they would go up. (Which took about 2 loud minutes every time, too.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:48:14 AM by LennStar »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: March 31, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »
When we got automatic blinds it was incredible how punctuous they worked: When the sun vanished behind a cloud, the blinds would go down, and when the sun came out again, they would go up.

I do not think that words means what you think it means.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2019, 12:48:54 AM »
When we got automatic blinds it was incredible how punctuous they worked: When the sun vanished behind a cloud, the blinds would go down, and when the sun came out again, they would go up.

I do not think that words means what you think it means.
Better now?

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »
I want to stop pretending like I'm excited by really stupid projects that will take a ridiculous number of hours of work and everyone knows will go nowhere.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #270 on: April 01, 2019, 09:23:17 AM »
I want to stop pretending like I'm excited by really stupid projects that will take a ridiculous number of hours of work and everyone knows will go nowhere.

Sometimes I get to hang out with my former coworkers, outside of office hours, and it always gives me big goofy smiles when they start talking about work.  Recently, it was something like "At last week's staff meeting they unveiled new process rules for how we're supposed to route documents through..." and I just listened intently to the whole spiel with a big grin on my face and then said, "Wow, that sounds so very very... boring."  And then they all scowled at me and I laughed.

My career was good to me, for a decade, but I definitely don't miss it.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #271 on: April 01, 2019, 10:48:28 AM »
I can't wait to see the look on the faces of a few people at work when I say I'm quitting and I don't have another job.  Most people at work know I'm saving for early retirement, but I'm not sure they believe me when I say how early.  There's one smug sob in particular that I would love  to gloat over a bit....yep I'm petty like that.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »
THAT guy! Everyone needs to work with that guy at least once. I left my version behind a couple of jobs back.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: April 10, 2019, 12:09:57 PM »
I don't want to wear shoes every day.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: April 10, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
I used to have a coworker who would make the same joke every single morning (from a famous Dutch comedy series). I am so glad I don't work there anymore. He was a nice guy but man, I was instantly grumpy every time I heard that.

"Goeiesmorges!" or "Goeiemoggel!"? Both will have the same effect on my bowels as a strong cup of coffee.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #275 on: April 10, 2019, 03:50:07 PM »

Reasons I haven't seen/didn't notice:
1. Never again having to estimate how long it will take to do something that's never been done before with an unknown scope, but let's make my random guess the official budget proposal anyway, even though I told you it was just a shot in the dark.
2. An end to "go ahead and work these 5 projects simultaneously, but this particular project is the most important one so focus on that..... until next week when I'll ask you why that other one isn't done yet and make it sound like you're incompetent for not realizing I wanted it done first actually... and now it's late and it's all your fault"
3. An end to choosing between being undercompensated because current employers don't increase your pay commensurate with your experience/market value or constantly changing employers (and probably locations) in order to be fairly compensated.
So accurate it made me feel a little sick reading it.

Well it's not really the reason I want to FIRE, but the petty part of me won't mind if my spendy ex finds out that I've retired a decade or two before he is able to. Ex and I had built a sizable nest egg (due to my frugal nature and against his will). We divorced 16 years ago and divided everything in half. While I'm getting ready to ride off into the sunset, he's probably back up to his eyeballs in debt and looking at several expensive years of educating the kids from his third marriage.
Good one! I too confess that I wouldn't mind if my spendy ex finds out I've retired a decade or two before he can.

I want to live in a more quiet world. I experience it today on my free Fridays. Quiet roads, quiet parking lots, quiet shops, readonably quiet ski tracks. So much nicer than the usual crowded world.
This doesn't sound petty, it sounds lovely.

Probably my most petty reason is so I am never again invited to a "party" by a coworker whose sole reason for having said party is to sell me something I don't need at a price that is way more than it's worth. Or, worse yet, have a coworker try to convince me to book my own party or become a "distributor" for said products. Trying to be polite while inside I am screaming at the stupidity of pyramid schemes is exhausting.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:27:09 PM by Parizade »

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #276 on: April 10, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »
  I don't want to smell the tuna that one of my colleagues brings everyday for lunch

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2019, 12:34:43 AM »
Even though I've tried to incorporate more responsibility into my life recently, and am doing a good job of fulfilling those responsibilities, on some level there's a part of me that goes "WAAAAAAAHHHHH! I don't wanna!" when confronted with even a microgram of responsibility, especially if it's a responsibility I have to carry out at a specific time.

Also, it's a beautifully sunny morning today. Where am I going today? The office. Will I be able to take advantage of the weather to go on an epic walking adventure in my local area? No.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:25 AM »

Looking forward to this as well. My manager and senior co-workers (who are awesome) pull me aside privately and ask me in advance if I'm okay with working on a new product or initiative. It's nice of them to ask I guess, but it's difficult to pretend to be excited about these projects. Honestly, as long as I'm getting a paycheck and I'm not breaking the law, then I could care less what I'm working on. Not to mention, declining work because you don't feel like doing it sounds like a surefire way to miss out on a pay increase come review time.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
After this week I have to add another reason: never have to sit in a 'pod' of desks.  Seriously what fucking moron thinks that's a good work space solution?!

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »
What a great thread.  It should be required reading for anyone writing a news article on FIRE!

My petty reasons:

- Never having to see the word "mandatory" in an email again.

- Not having to fill out online forms or take online tests on an almost weekly basis.

- No more work-related travel to meetings that start at 7am and/or end at 10pm in another time zone.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #281 on: April 11, 2019, 08:18:49 AM »
After this week I have to add another reason: never have to sit in a 'pod' of desks.  Seriously what fucking moron thinks that's a good work space solution?!
A status concious extrovert.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: April 11, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »

Also, it's a beautifully sunny morning today. Where am I going today? The office. Will I be able to take advantage of the weather to go on an epic walking adventure in my local area? No.

I hate this! We have so little nice weather here, I hate having to blow a day of it sitting in a frigidly air conditioned sealed-up office.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »

"Goeiesmorges!" or "Goeiemoggel!"? Both will have the same effect on my bowels as a strong cup of coffee.

Yup :(  They captured office life perfectly though, even 20 years later it's still so accurate.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #284 on: April 11, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
For me:
1) I like to fix things.  To build things.  To optimize things in my life.  To find "pain points" in my life and banish them.  To tackle projects just for fun.  Having a full-time job (even though I enjoy it!) gets in the way of fixing those things.
2) So I can occasionally stay up late playing video games without worrying about how it will affect me the next morning.
3) Waking up in the morning and staying in bed watching youtube or surfing until I'm hungry enough to go make breakfast.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: April 11, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »

Ugh, due to the type of work we do here, I work in a building with zero windows. ZERO! In fact, I haven't worked in a building with a window in almost 7 years. You know how depressing that is?

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #286 on: April 11, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
Its great weather here today and there is a free music festival today through Sunday about a mile from me.  I went at lunch and listened to a few songs and will be going tomorrow and Sunday, so not all bad. 

However, a co-worker retired last year just texted.  He has seen 3 bands so far, found some shade and is listening to another, then will walk down to another stage to hear more.   I don't want to be looking at a spreadsheet anymore. 

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: April 11, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
So I don't have to change 6 passwords every month to different systems,  that all have a different format requirement......

(having just been prompted to change another one......)

seattleite

• Stubble
« Reply #288 on: April 11, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
High school classmates — Yeah, so maybe it's been 25 years and they don't know or even care, but I get satisfaction thinking about being retired early while those assholes (some of them) are still working. You said petty, right? Oh yeah, though it turns out that a lot of the people that I thought were assholes because I didn't fit in and wasn't popular are actually really nice people... sooooo.... maybe I'm the asshole?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2019, 12:42:45 AM »
So I don't have to change 6 passwords every month to different systems,  that all have a different format requirement......

So much this. Especially when they limit the length and prevent special characters then wonder why people give up on secure passwords or use a post-it note.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2019, 02:10:26 AM »
One of my coworkers is standing in the hallway shouting and arguing with his manager. He has his own office! As does the manager! Why can't they go yell and scream in one of their offices! Ugh! This is not the first time. I'm only in the office once per week, and I hear it at least a couple times a month. (Luckily, I also have my own office with a door and a noise cancellation machine.) I pity the coworkers who are in the open pod.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »
High school classmates — Yeah, so maybe it's been 25 years and they don't know or even care, but I get satisfaction thinking about being retired early while those assholes (some of them) are still working. You said petty, right? Oh yeah, though it turns out that a lot of the people that I thought were assholes because I didn't fit in and wasn't popular are actually really nice people... sooooo.... maybe I'm the asshole?
People change with time :)  I like to think I was a pretty good kid, but I like to think I'm a lot nicer and more mature now.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: April 12, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »

So much this. Especially when they limit the length and prevent special characters then wonder why people give up on secure passwords or use a post-it note.

Don't forget it can't be similar to any of your last 100 passwords!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »

Don't forget it can't be similar to any of your last 100 passwords!

This morning at work, I changed my password because they forced me to.
My old pattern was: Someword345!. On my windows machine, I changed it to: Someword678! That went fine. After I did that, I couldn't log in to a program that I use every day. Turns out that the IT in my company stores passwords in some strange way that causes an hour delay to spread to other systems that use the same AD users. Luckily we also have a separate administrator user that I could access for a while to do some work.

But we also have a virtual machine with a separate password, which I always change to the same as my windows password. But when I entered my pwd change there, the virtual desktop interpreted it as a similar word. I tried like 8 times, sometimes not typing the 2 new passwords exactly the same way. And when I did type it correctly, it complaned about the password being similar to the old one. Obviously it only compared the word, not the other characters. So I ended up having to change my windows password once again, to be able to make the same passwords in the two desktops.

Now I have started my easter holiday, 10 days away from work. Jay! But when I come back on day 11, I will probably have forgotten when the new password is. I have forgotten it now already...

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2019, 08:38:07 AM »
Now I have started my easter holiday, 10 days away from work. Jay! But when I come back on day 11, I will probably have forgotten when the new password is. I have forgotten it now already...

That's the sign of a good vacation!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2019, 05:58:15 PM »
I was reminded of this petty reason on Friday after parking my butt in my office chair for the entire day....My chair is uncomfortable. The last time I asked for a new chair, it took three years before it was approved and purchased....and that was only because one of the chair legs broke.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #296 on: April 15, 2019, 09:17:41 AM »

Ugh, yes.  I had a system that required exactly 8 characters, no specials, no double letters, no dictionary words, must be changed every 90 days, and not similar to 10 past passwords.  I had to develop a little algorithm for making new passwords. At least I can still use it... but I STILL have to write down a reminder clue for all the accounts.  I've got a post-it note with 14 accounts hidden right now.

....My chair is uncomfortable. The last time I asked for a new chair, it took three years before it was approved and purchased....and that was only because one of the chair legs broke.

So much, this. 
I've started taking over a counter in our kitchenette a few hours a day so I can get out of my chair.  I'm really close to bringing in a small bolster to sit on and working on the floor for part of the day, too.  Most of my coworkers have private offices, but I'm in the open cube farm at the main entrance with 3 others and am not quite at the IDGAF level necessary to work on the floor in front of the door, but I am damn close.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: April 16, 2019, 11:14:45 PM »
I found a new petty reason today for being FIREd.

My sister is staying with me and working remotely. I went to sleep late yesterday catching up on some recorded shows I missed while out of town...so I woke up around 11am. I am FIREd already.

She made a snarky comment along the lines of "if I got up that late I would feel like I wasted the day".

I replied "I don't care, I don't have anyone to report to."

She said she would keep her words to herself in the future.

Priceless...

AllOfTheDogs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2019, 10:53:56 AM »

This. So much this. I worked from home the other day and spent five minutes just guessing at passwords until I got the correct one.

But I am especially excited to be free from tracking and billing my time in six minute increments.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2019, 11:19:51 AM »
I found a new petty reason today for being FIREd.

My sister is staying with me and working remotely. I went to sleep late yesterday catching up on some recorded shows I missed while out of town...so I woke up around 11am. I am FIREd already.

She made a snarky comment along the lines of "if I got up that late I would feel like I wasted the day".

I replied "I don't care, I don't have anyone to report to."

She said she would keep her words to herself in the future.

Priceless...

I've never understood that mentality anyway.  Why does nobody ever say "if I went to bed that early I would feel like I wasted the night"?  Nighttime hours are worth just as much as early morning ones, despite what people may think.