Author Topic: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?  (Read 174000 times)

Gail2000

• Stubble
Re: What is your most petty reason for seeking FIRE?
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 06:20:40 PM »
So I don't have to sit in traffic anymore.

Once I FIRE I can travel using at my leisure, maybe take public transportation or bike. And I can avoid rush hour because I don't have to actually be anywhere. :) My commute isn't terrible but I hate the waste time in the car when I could be somewhere else doing something else that is actually productive.

If enough of you fire in my area, my commute wouldn’t be so bad. Win win

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 06:55:12 PM »
Workplace bathrooms.
That's one of the things I'll miss!  "Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime..."

Right? Getting paid for my bathroom time in a bathroom I'm not responsible for cleaning? Definitely something I'll miss.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »
Being able to pick my own plane flights and not having to go with the routes contract carrier even if that means having a 30 minute connection in Chicago in the winter.  (and then having to spend all day and another connection through Newark and still not knowing if I'd get to where I need to work the next day)

Also as long as I have my diabetic cat I will have to have my alarm in RE.  The fuzzy needs his insulin 12 hours apart, right now it's 6am and 6pm.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »
I want to quit work before it affects my appearance too much - wrinkles, extra pounds, gray hair.

this

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 07:30:57 PM »
... on my two days of freedom each week, feeling like I was wasting half of them just lying around recoperating while I tried to do some laundry and grocery shopping, without any motivation to actually do the things I wanted to do with my life.
This!  So much this!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2019, 07:45:32 PM »
I want to have sex during the day.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2019, 07:57:51 PM »
I want to be able to dress like teenage me again.  Doc Martens, black nail polish and dye my hair any color I want.  Might look a bit silly on a 40 something but I just want to have the freedom not to have to dress in a "professional" manner. 

I also love sleeping in and want to do that a whole lot.  And also want to avoid the small talk with coworkers, performance reviews and having to be nice to my boss.

This is kind of sappy but I'd also like to spend the majority of my day with the people I love ie. my husband and kids - rather than with my coworkers.

I don’t have kids or a husband but I am 1000% with you on the clothes. I just want to wear workout clothes. I have wasted time and money on buying “meeting” clothes. And I only have to wear them a few times a month. I can’t imagine if I had to dress up every day.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
Sunshine. In winter I start work before sunrise and depending on how close we are to the equinox it’s either dark or close to it by the time I’m done. I probably have seasonal affective disorder (and should probably talk to my doctor about it but that would require actually going to see the doctor). I do a lot better emotionally when I get at least four hours of sunshine. Even going for a walk on my lunch break isn’t enough.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
I don't do mornings.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »

3. I am so tired of having to interface and rely on people that do not give a damn, are complacent or just do as little as humanly possible without getting fired.

I don't want to have to be around people who use fancy sounding dumbass words like "interface".    Also don't want to deal with people who take our bullshit work so seriously.   Nobody is going to fucking die if the response to the corporate client is at 9AM tomm morning vs 5PM today.   

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »
Great thread and I concur with most reasons.

My list:

Lunch meetings (with no lunch provided)
"High importance!" emails
Seven hours worth of meetings in an 8-hour day
"Strategic objectives"
All hands on deck
"Mission and values"
Four months without a dishwasher in the break room (one arrived a week ago, but is sitting still wrapped), "Your mom doesn't work here, wash your dishes" sign

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2019, 09:53:55 PM »
Luckily engineers don't really care what you wear to work, business casual now includes jeans and sneakers.  I have a very simple and comfortable wardrobe, set on infinite repeat, but when I started I had to wear a tie and that was what got me started on saving like a FIend.

My petty reason, to eat what I want whenever I want, a la https://youtu.be/H6u0VBqNBQ8?t=135

Or maybe it is to screw around on researching stuff like consciousness, AI, and economics for fun all day...

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 09:57:26 PM »
So I can talk with people during working hours that can speak English.  (It wasn't this way when I started but in the past decade management has decided that being able to speak so others can understand you is severely over-rated)

L8_apex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:17 PM »
Timesheets.  Then explaining to the client why it took so long to fix the last clusterfack

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »
One more petty reason:

Not having to hear the word "ping" being used as a verb in a non-technical sense. Somehow engineers think this is a verb, and non-engineers don't understand them in context.

Normal people don't use the word "ping" as a verb to see if someone answers their phone or texts.

I have not heard the word "ping" in over a year and that makes me happy.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2019, 12:01:59 AM »
I really hate being told what to do, where to be, and when to do it.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2019, 12:13:19 AM »
I like supercars and want to buy one and just have fun with it, detail it in my garage, take it out on track, etc, and enjoy it, and meet other supercar owners and all of that is hard if you have a day job. Plus it's so much more fun if people ask you what you do to afford it and you can honestly say "I'm unemployed."

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2019, 03:17:40 AM »
Being able to go outside and do something fun on those days with really nice weather. And as mentioned above, to be able to go outside during daylight hours in the midst of the winter.

Being able to extend my trips to our cabin when the skiing circumstances there are perfect. Not needing to stress on any type of vacations to make it back on a fixed date.

Being able to book flights whenever the prices are lowest.

To avoid scrum meetings. Those are shortish, daily meetings. Everytime I am working on something in deep concentration and really getting into a good flow, there is a scrum meeting. That means: drop everything you're doing and come to report in detail what you did since yesterday's meeting and what you will be doing after today's meeting. Difficult to pretend you did a lot of work on the days you haven't been doing that.

To avoid sitting in a noisy working landscape. What a hell this workplace is for me who can't concentrate at all in noisy surroundings. Also avoiding a very noisy cafeteria to eat lunch in. Some days it is stressful to have a break there, because of the noise.

To not have to work with a certain co-worker who blows up every minor 5-minute task into a major issue that needs discussions (with me and others) and diagrams and lots of written comments in different colours.

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2019, 03:37:05 AM »
Friday: "Are you up to anything fun this weekend?"
Monday: "How was your weekend?"

I will never ask about anyones weekend ever, nor answer a question about my weekend, when I FIRE.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2019, 03:40:04 AM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned office radio yet. Having to listen to the radio at work is probably my least favourite part of being employed. I love music but my coworkers always choose the most bland station and there are commercials all the time.

I also hate dressing up for work. My coworkers dress in business casual style and they allow me to dress slightly more casually - I walk a long distance to work so they don't mind me not wearing heels for example - but it's still awful. Plus hair and make-up. I just can't do it, I'm always the girl looking slightly scruffy at work no matter how hard I try and I hate it. I have to have two different sets of clothing because I'm not going to wear work clothes outside of work. There's also lots of pressure on women to wear a variety of fashionable clothing instead of the same work 'uniform' every day.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2019, 03:46:27 AM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned office radio yet. Having to listen to the radio at work is probably my least favourite part of being employed. I love music but my coworkers always choose the most bland station and there are commercials all the time.

Maybe radio at work is not so common in other countries, depending on the type of work place.
I remember we had radio at work when I lived and worked in the Netherlands.
Here in Norway work radio is not really a thing in places where I worked.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2019, 04:25:10 AM »

Maybe radio at work is not so common in other countries, depending on the type of work place.

Definitely, no workplace radio here.  In fact, yesterday I walked into the work kitchen and a colleague was there listening to top 40 type music on her phone.  She immediately turned it down and asked it I was ok with the music.  I told her to turn it back up as I was just there to microwave my lunch from home.  She seemed really surprised.  It would be really tough to work with music on (especially horrible music) at work.  I would find that really hard so you have my sympathy.

As far as clothes, my boss decided that we'd do casual Fridays a while back and I just LOVE going to work in jeans and sneakers on a Friday.  I still feel some pressure to wear clean clothes that match though as the rest of my office is formal every day of the week.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2019, 04:44:25 AM »
Damn...no wonder you all want to FIRE so bad...I don't even consider any of these things petty...

Suddenly I feel very spoiled in my job where I don't work often, wear comfy athletic clothes and running shoes, have my own playlist, and if there's a meeting then I'm the one running it.

My only thing is that although I have control over my schedule, I need to set it months in advance. An impromptu day off is impossible.
It's annoying, but I have most days off so it's not a big deal.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2019, 04:46:14 AM »

I didn't know that, I guess I should move! ;) I know having the radio on in the office is common in the Netherlands and Belgium. To me it's just noise pollution.

I am lucky that on Wednesday our office is almost empty and I  can wear what I like, but I'm still not wearing my regular weekend outfits ( oversized knitted sweaters, flower print dresses, band shirts and boots) but a neat pair of dark jeans and a classic woollen jumper. Comfortable but not really something that makes me happy.

Also: endless webex meetings where everyone is secretly sleeping except for the host

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2019, 05:12:18 AM »
Needing to buy and wear lab appropriate shoes.  I have 8 working days left and my shoes died a while ago, but I keep wearing them.

In my size, they are expensive, hard to find, and not something I would buy if I didn't have to.

LV

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2019, 05:18:16 AM »
My boss has a TV on all the time. Luckily he is two doors down so it is not that obtrusive if he keeps it low. The other boss has one also, but thankfully keeps it on mute most of the time.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2019, 05:35:46 AM »

I'll add, by idiots managers who don't know what I should be doing, where I can do it and when I can do it best.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2019, 06:04:41 AM »
I can't wait for the ability to control the thermostat, specifically the AC.  In summers here I'm dressing for 80F for the drive to work and bringing sweaters and layers to survive 65F in the office. It's insane! Not to mention wasteful!

And being able to see outside. I have an interior, basement-level office. I don't see the outdoors for 9 hours a day and its depressing.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2019, 06:07:37 AM »
I work from home, so don't have to deal with office bs, commute bs, clothes or make-up bs.  BUT, the meetings kill me.  I hate Skype, I get dropped all the time and try amuse myself with playing conference call bingo, but it just reminds me how much I can't stand the endless meetings.  Or being a manager.  Or having team members overseas.  Or dealing with people who know everything.        Or "circle back", "reach out", "deep dive", "needful is done", "revert back" and all the other stupid phrases that get used. 

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2019, 06:18:25 AM »
I never want to hear the words "Happy Friday" again.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2019, 06:40:47 AM »
I want to FIRE so I never have to engage in scripted conversations with coworkers again.

"Big plans for the weekend?" "The weather is so [insert platitude here]! Can't wait for [next season]!" "How is it only Tuesday? Feels like it's been a full week already!" "TGIF!".

Urg. I hate that this is essentially performance art. Nobody is listening to the answers - it's automatic responses once the speech machinery has been set in motion.

yes yes yes! Mindless interactions bothers me to no end. When people ask "How are you?" ..."Fine" (don't you dare say anything else but fine!)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2019, 06:51:10 AM »
I want to FIRE so I never have to engage in scripted conversations with coworkers again.

"Big plans for the weekend?" "The weather is so [insert platitude here]! Can't wait for [next season]!" "How is it only Tuesday? Feels like it's been a full week already!" "TGIF!".

Urg. I hate that this is essentially performance art. Nobody is listening to the answers - it's automatic responses once the speech machinery has been set in motion.

yes yes yes! Mindless interactions bothers me to no end. When people ask "How are you?" ..."Fine" (don't you dare say anything else but fine!)

I think I'm really lucky in that regard. I work in a small business with just six employees (including the owner). We actually talk about each other's lives because we genuinely like each other, which is a really nice change from my previous employers. I've been at work for 45 minutes, and I literally just got done talking to everyone so I can start my work. I'm an introvert, too, but the "small talk" doesn't feel like wasted time when you have legitimate friendships at the office, rather than forced interactions.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2019, 06:53:06 AM »
I think this is an Italian thing but the endless small talk about food and digestion.  I remember one day my colleagues were having a huge heated discussion about the tastiest brand of tuna fish at the supermarket.  Today, I went into the work kitchen and they were all chatting about which fruits they find "difficult to digest".  These are people younger than me not old people.  TMI and sooo boring.  I'd almost prefer to talk about the weather.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:54:50 AM by Hula Hoop »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2019, 06:54:19 AM »

I will never ask about anyones weekend ever, nor answer a question about my weekend, when I FIRE.

+1 for weekend interrogations. It's nobody's business to ask what I do in the weekend. If I have something to tell, I will do so by myself.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 07:18:39 AM »
Not necessarily petty, but not waking up to an alarm would be bliss.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2019, 07:40:56 AM »

+1 for weekend interrogations. It's nobody's business to ask what I do in the weekend. If I have something to tell, I will do so by myself.

In my experience, anyone asking about my weekend really just wants to talk about theirs.  If I have something interesting to say, I will respond, but otherwise, a "Nothing much, what about you?" lets them get it out of their system while I listen with half an ear and make mhmm noises.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2019, 08:21:28 AM »
Email distribution lists that are only relevant to your job 2% of the time, so you're stuck sifting through the other 98%.

And the ridiculous reply all chains where some poor soul accidentally emails 20k+ people on a distribution list in the company and morons keep replying all to "remove me". We had one that generated at least 100 of those responses.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »
Not necessarily petty, but not waking up to an alarm would be bliss.

This is the one that I'd choose.  More generally, "going to bed when I want to and waking up when I want to".  Unfortunately for those of us who might FIRE while we still have school-aged kids, this option is off the table.  :/

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »
The seagull management. I've had 3 VPs in TWO years.

They fly in, shit on everything, then fly off. No one seems to know how to reverse the changes they make...

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2019, 09:43:41 AM »

YUP.  Fortunately, I've found my way to a job where I have a lot of freedom to do my thing. But not complete freedom.  And being volun-told to take over a task no one else wants is a near constant irritant.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
Having to shave every day.

Also: endless webex meetings where everyone is secretly sleeping except for the host

I am in one of those this very minute...

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2019, 10:18:55 AM »
Weather.

I hate the cold in the winter, and I hate the humidity in the summer. So I'm going to spend winters in Florida and summers...well, I haven't worked out where to spend summers yet.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
One more petty reason:

Not having to hear the word "ping" being used as a verb in a non-technical sense. Somehow engineers think this is a verb, and non-engineers don't understand them in context.

Normal people don't use the word "ping" as a verb to see if someone answers their phone or texts.

Wat.  Ping isn't a universal verb?  I'm pinging to the left and pinging the right.  I'll ping you over email or ping you on Skype.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »
NEVER EVER COMMUTE AGAIN.  I live in a place where the traffic is atrocious, and my long-ass commute is a major source of stress.

That, and be able to go out/stay in at my leisure on rainy days. :)  I love walking in the rain, and I love sitting cozy on my couch with a hot drink in hand listening to the sound of the rain.  Neither of which I can do while I'm at work.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:38 AM »
One more petty reason:

Wat.  Ping isn't a universal verb?  I'm pinging to the left and pinging the right.  I'll ping you over email or ping you on Skype.

Thank you for ruining my otherwise blissfull day in FIRE.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »

Thank you for ruining my otherwise blissfull day in FIRE.

I thought that the player on the left pinged and the player on the right ponged.

Have I been wrong all these years!!1

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
Petty reasons to pursue FIRE:

- I won't back down
- Spend more time with my American Girl
- Tired of of having to remind my superiors not to do me like that
- No longer want to be concerned with corporate profits that are free fallin'

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2019, 11:02:02 AM »
Also, I get all these awesome deal notifications from Travelzoo and Scotts Cheap Flights. I just want to take advantage of them instead of having to see if I have enough PTO, waiting to see if the PTO will be approved, blah blah blah. However, I am a little worried that I'll get carried away when I FIRE haha.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Petty reasons to pursue FIRE:

- I won't back down
- Spend more time with my American Girl
- Tired of of having to remind my superiors not to do me like that
- No longer want to be concerned with corporate profits that are free fallin'

haha

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »
I think this is an Italian thing but the endless small talk about food and digestion.  I remember one day my colleagues were having a huge heated discussion about the tastiest brand of tuna fish at the supermarket.  Today, I went into the work kitchen and they were all chatting about which fruits they find "difficult to digest".  These are people younger than me not old people.  TMI and sooo boring.  I'd almost prefer to talk about the weather.

A roommate during an internship in college told me that anybody who has a drop of Italian blood will be focused on food.  This was after a long conversation about what we liked to eat and then finding out my grandmother was Italian. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!