Author Topic: What is your cost of living for housing?  (Read 17861 times)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
Re: What is your cost of living for housing?
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
Sounds like a nice setup. Out of curiosity, what do you do when they want to use the place?

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »
Sounds like a nice setup. Out of curiosity, what do you do when they want to use the place?

When they are here, I just have roommates! We are long time friends (and they are much older than me, so no drama), so it's just like having roommates who are friends for a weekend, and then they leave! It's the best, because it's a nice social interaction for a few days, but it's not all the time. I try to be very courteous, and I make sure the house is spotless when they arrive, and I move some of my things from the common areas so they feel like it's still vacation, and not like someone is living all over their house.

AlotToLearn

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
Mortgage 890
HOA 170
Insurance 25
Utilities 79

3 br 2.5 bath 1600 sq ft townhome

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »
Question for the people who pay a shit ton for housing (there seem to be a lot!). How do you feel about it? Do you feel like you get a lot of value from it and it's worth the cost, or do you feel ripped off? Do you feel like buying/renting it was a good decision?

Buying was a good decision.  Bought a triplex in 2012 For 717k with 20% down.  Rents pay all expenses including ours, and it has appreciated about 600k since we bought.  Some of the west coast markets have gone up a crazy amount.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »
I looked at a house yesterday - single family home, but with three kitchens (one on each level), two separate garages, and two separate driveways.

The monthly payment would be 68% of my take-home before roommates, and after roommates about what I have now (but with 5x more parking, 50% more square footage, and 4x the lot).

Sometimes I wish I lived in a LCOL area again so I could afford more than one parking spot (I can barely fit my car in my little garage with most of my tools), but then it'd be hard to match my salary...agh.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2019, 11:57:22 AM »
Mortgage, taxes and insurance are 650/month. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!