Author Topic: What is with the toilet paper hoarding?  (Read 21591 times)

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
Re: What is with the toilet paper hoarding?
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2020, 10:21:23 PM »

I was just out at a local Walmart and grocery store between 9 and 10 PM.  It was pretty slow.  There was definitely a drop in stock on various items.   There were quite a few empty bins for cough and flu meds, the canned foods were pretty thinned out, and there were very few paper towels packages.  TP was still out of stock, and now the tissues were out of stock.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2020, 10:46:09 PM »
Hopefully Vancouver has peaked with the TP hoarding. (and paper towels, kleenex...)
We make paper products here, and they are running extra shifts at the plant to accommodate the demand... which will dry up to almost nothing once people have their 6 month supply. Except for those of us who aren't buying, because we still have a month's worth of TP, and a little faith in those manufacturers that they will not need to close because of this.

The surge really has nothing to do with actual need. It has to do with anxiety, and the need to do something to feel you are somehow in control of something. But buying TP doesn't relieve the anxiety the way people hoped it might -- they just ask themselves what's next? I've been watching the waves as people go from TP & pasta & ramen, to canned beans and soup and pasta sauce (which they missed on the first run because people who are panicking aren't thinking through, what will I eat with all this pasta) to dried fruit and nuts (which the bf and I bought the week no one was buying, because pasta was the item du jour).

The mood here is half normal, half 'i better buy before it's gone.' It isn't 'oh, I should prepare in case I'm at home with the flu for 2 weeks', more like 'god knows when I'll be able to buy groceries again.'

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2020, 04:32:22 AM »
It's just a way of trying to take back some control of the situation. I bet that before the Civil War there was panic buying of buttons or nails, or some other useful but not gonna win the war type of items. I think we all have the instinct to gather/stock up when things look uncertain. At least it's not people stockpiling ammunition, huh?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2020, 08:58:45 AM »
It's just a way of trying to take back some control of the situation. I bet that before the Civil War there was panic buying of buttons or nails, or some other useful but not gonna win the war type of items. I think we all have the instinct to gather/stock up when things look uncertain. At least it's not people stockpiling ammunition, huh?

Who says we're not stockpiling ammunition? :)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »
The more I think about it I don't think the panic buying and hoarding is a psychological response to help people feel in control. That may be true for a small minority, but I think the rest of it is a perfectly rational response to others.  I certainly don't think the situation required hoarding (obviously as I created this thread), but in retrospect I should have panicked and hoarded goods I need just in response to other people's panic. By trying to be responsible and not panic I have now put myself at a disadvantage compared to everyone else that did panic.  Hopefully the situation doesn't get any worse and I am able to find some toilet paper in the next couple of weeks.  If see anything useful that I fear will be panic bought en mass I will be snatching it for sure and adding to panic buying

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »
The more I think about it I don't think the panic buying and hoarding is a psychological response to help people feel in control. That may be true for a small minority, but I think the rest of it is a perfectly rational response to others.  I certainly don't think the situation required hoarding (obviously as I created this thread), but in retrospect I should have panicked and hoarded goods I need just in response to other people's panic. By trying to be responsible and not panic I have now put myself at a disadvantage compared to everyone else that did panic.  Hopefully the situation doesn't get any worse and I am able to find some toilet paper in the next couple of weeks.  If see anything useful that I fear will be panic bought en mass I will be snatching it for sure and adding to panic buying

Give it a few days and try the stores again. Right now, people are reacting to 1) the first positive tests, 2) Gov. Whitmer's late-night press conference on Thurs., and 3) all the shutdowns. Once the initial panic dies down, the stores should be able to restock a bit more normally.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »

We're buying a house soon and this is my worry, we're going to move in and.. not be able to find a lot of basic life things like toilet paper or non-perishables.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2020, 11:05:14 AM »
My sense is people are trying to get two months ahead. Once they do that they will have this inventory at home and things will return to normal and supply chain will stabilize. Temp shortages no big deal.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2020, 11:09:02 AM »

Give it a few days and try the stores again. Right now, people are reacting to 1) the first positive tests, 2) Gov. Whitmer's late-night press conference on Thurs., and 3) all the shutdowns. Once the initial panic dies down, the stores should be able to restock a bit more normally.

My husband found some TP at Meijer today.  I convinced him to do the social distancing, so he today bought a ton of stuff to get us through ~ a month at home.   We're just trying to help the cause of not contributing to the spread/ overwhelming the hospitals.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2020, 11:20:09 AM »
My sense is people are trying to get two months ahead. Once they do that they will have this inventory at home and things will return to normal and supply chain will stabilize. Temp shortages no big deal.

I don't believe this.  We wouldn't be running out of fresh fruit and vegetables if people were planning months ahead.  None of that will last for months.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »

My husband found some TP at Meijer today.  I convinced him to do the social distancing, so he today bought a ton of stuff to get us through ~ a month at home.   We're just trying to help the cause of not contributing to the spread/ overwhelming the hospitals.

In our area, it’s probably best to try on a weekday given the population density. Although AG Nessel was just on Facebook giving a press conference about prosecuting those who violate the state ban on large gatherings. That might ease the crush inside stores, at least, or it might just make the lines outside worse.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
Big run on bread too. I haven't seen a loaf of bread in weeks.

Went to Target today.  Completely out of toilet paper and bread.  They did have stock of some other things though so I was finally able to get some bananas, which is good because I eat a banana every day.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2020, 11:43:38 AM »
I’d say bake your own bread, but Aldi was out of flour on Friday so that might be tricky.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »
Just got back from my Aldi - plenty of bread there.  Found everything I expected to.  The only things I noticed they were out of were mandarins and cabbage, which were both on sale this week.  Neither was on my list, but I probably would have gotten one of each if they had been in stock.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »

I don't believe this.  We wouldn't be running out of fresh fruit and vegetables if people were planning months ahead.  None of that will last for months.

Right maybe some of it is that but then the irrationality kicks in. Of course they may be canning or some such. And what about onions! Store was actually out of onions on Thursday--that's a first for me. In some fiction novel I read years ago there was a huge blackout and some woman showed up with a whole bunch of frozen food--not connecting the dots that lack of power+frozen food=ummm...

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »
I went to our local Aldi yesterday. Thankfully, we usually keep plenty of food and didn't need much. Shelves were mostly empty.

I think people have confused "overabundance of caution" with "overabundance of fear."

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »

We made one last (for the next 2-3 months, we're estimating) trip to the grocery store a few days ago and bought a fair amount of fresh produce. We already had a lot of pantry staples (because we always do), but I wanted to get some "nice to have" items that will allow me to continue to make all of our favorite recipes.

(I also wanted to use up a chunk of the gift cards I got on a Cyber Tuesday sale for this local mini-chain. I'm sure grocery stores would be one of the last businesses to fail in a bad economy, but a "fancy" one with higher prices, less robust supply chains, and fewer resources than, say, Walmart or Costco... you never know.)

I plan on eating some this week and freezing the rest. Things like onions, garlic, ginger, and peppers can really help a rice and beans dish. (I do always have dried versions of all of those, but fresh/frozen is just so much better, so I'll use it while I can.) I try to eat greens every day, so I now have a ton of leafy greens in the freezer for smoothies, as well as broccoli to reheat and add to pasta dishes. Also lots of bananas and other fruits for smoothies/oatmeal and banana "ice cream."

I don't know if that's everyone else's thought process, but that's what I've been up to, anyway.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2020, 04:44:59 PM »

Exactly.  If the buyer is willing to pay that much and gets what is advertised, then it's a fair deal.  That's capitalism working as it should.

No it isn't.  If capitalism worked like that then the gasoline companies should have been able to collude to make the price of gas $50 a gallon in his area so he could not have afforded to drive the U-haul truck around to collect all the sanitizer.

People say they want this pure type of capitalism but they don't realize how many systems are in place to protect them from pure capitalism.

Collusion =/ capitalism.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2020, 04:51:42 PM »
It's basically an arms race.

If 5% of people freak out and initiate operation-hoarder-level-9000, the remaining 95% are forced to determine if they are going to take their chances by not hoarding themselves to some extent too or face the risk of being bystander casualties.
If stores would raise their prices in proportional response to the increase in demand, then I doubt many people would be willing to pay the premium required to hoard things.  Of course, then the stores would be charged with the heinous crime of "price gouging" (aka following the rules of basic economics).  I applaud stores that increase prices when demand is high.  It discourages people from buying more than they need, and ensures that product is available for the people who really need it.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2020, 05:46:09 PM »
I guess I just don't get it.  Why toilet paper? Why the run on toilet paper? All these people panicked about coronavirus - did they not anticipate needing toilet paper before this virus? What have they been using literally every day of their life? 
When I was a kid there were some fuel shortages. This led to lines around the block at petrol stations. In fact there wasn't really a great shortage. But because people worried about a shortage, instead of filling up when the tank was empty, they filled up whenever they saw a petrol station. Suddenly the places needed 50-100% more fuel, and the places which could get by with a weekly tanker delivery now needed one every 3-4 days. But before they could arrange it they'd run out of fuel and put a sign up saying so. Seeing this sign, drivers would rush to the next petrol station and line up, and...

This is consumer behaviour. A slight perception of a possible shortage in the stores actually creates a shortage in the stores. Meanwhile, exactly nobody has their car putter out with an empty tank and have to be left on the side of the road, exactly nobody is sitting at home on the toilet looking at the empty roll and wondering what to do. It's just that instead of being content with having 3-4 rolls sitting there waiting by the toilet, they want to see a 24 pack.

A run on the banks can happen the same way, history shows. If a rumour goes around that your bank will be limiting cash withdrawals soon, some people will rush to withdraw all their money, the branch will run out of cash, news that it's run out of cash will get around, so then more people will rush to other branches to withdraw their cash, and then the fractional reserve laws will kick in, and the bank will have to call in some of its debts, and - then the bank executive or the government steps in and limits cash withdrawals.

If it weren't bog rolls it'd be something else. Pasta and rice are getting wiped out here. Which is funny, really: even in refugee camps people get rice and beans. There's plenty of tinned fruit and vegies, stacks of fresh fruit and vegies. Do people think they will live on pasta and rice? No, they're just not thinking.

As they said in Men in Black, a person is smart, people are stupid.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:48:25 PM by Kyle Schuant »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2020, 06:24:59 PM »
I guess I just don't get it.  Why toilet paper? Why the run on toilet paper? All these people panicked about coronavirus - did they not anticipate needing toilet paper before this virus? What have they been using literally every day of their life? 
When I was a kid there were some fuel shortages. This led to lines around the block at petrol stations. In fact there wasn't really a great shortage. But because people worried about a shortage, instead of filling up when the tank was empty, they filled up whenever they saw a petrol station. Suddenly the places needed 50-100% more fuel, and the places which could get by with a weekly tanker delivery now needed one every 3-4 days. But before they could arrange it they'd run out of fuel and put a sign up saying so. Seeing this sign, drivers would rush to the next petrol station and line up, and...

This is consumer behaviour. A slight perception of a possible shortage in the stores actually creates a shortage in the stores. Meanwhile, exactly nobody has their car putter out with an empty tank and have to be left on the side of the road, exactly nobody is sitting at home on the toilet looking at the empty roll and wondering what to do. It's just that instead of being content with having 3-4 rolls sitting there waiting by the toilet, they want to see a 24 pack.

A run on the banks can happen the same way, history shows. If a rumour goes around that your bank will be limiting cash withdrawals soon, some people will rush to withdraw all their money, the branch will run out of cash, news that it's run out of cash will get around, so then more people will rush to other branches to withdraw their cash, and then the fractional reserve laws will kick in, and the bank will have to call in some of its debts, and - then the bank executive or the government steps in and limits cash withdrawals.

If it weren't bog rolls it'd be something else. Pasta and rice are getting wiped out here. Which is funny, really: even in refugee camps people get rice and beans. There's plenty of tinned fruit and vegies, stacks of fresh fruit and vegies. Do people think they will live on pasta and rice? No, they're just not thinking.

I definitely keep a bit more than just 3-4 rolls, but I am now below my normal level.  And I can't get any more.  I haven't seen a roll of toilet paper for sale in weeks.  All I see are empty shelves in every store.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2020, 06:39:04 PM »
I definitely keep a bit more than just 3-4 rolls, but I am now below my normal level.  And I can't get any more.  I haven't seen a roll of toilet paper for sale in weeks.  All I see are empty shelves in every store.

It was exactly 1 week ago I last saw TP in the store, and it was fairly plentiful at the time.  I didn't need any, but I went ahead and bought extra because I heard of shortages elsewhere.  So, I now have 300 rolls (regular equivalent). 

It was exactly 2 weeks ago I last saw hand sanitizer in the store.  I bought two large bottles of it.  I wish I had bought a couple more.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:42:41 PM by American GenX »

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2020, 06:44:04 PM »
They had stacks of soap, though. And that works better.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
They had stacks of soap, though. And that works better.

That's great at home and in restrooms.  Not so great when I return to my car or office.  But my stock should last a while.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2020, 08:02:01 PM »

It was exactly 1 week ago I last saw TP in the store, and it was fairly plentiful at the time.  I didn't need any, but I went ahead and bought extra because I heard of shortages elsewhere.  So, I now have 300 rolls (regular equivalent)

It was exactly 2 weeks ago I last saw hand sanitizer in the store.  I bought two large bottles of it.  I wish I had bought a couple more.

Wow, that's like 3 years worth for our family of four.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2020, 08:32:53 PM »

It was exactly 1 week ago I last saw TP in the store, and it was fairly plentiful at the time.  I didn't need any, but I went ahead and bought extra because I heard of shortages elsewhere.  So, I now have 300 rolls (regular equivalent)

That's the regular roll equivalent.  Each package of 6 says it is equal to 32 rolls.  Anyway, that's for only one butt, so it should last a long time.  I bought most of it before there was ever any clue that there was going to be a TP shortage on shelves.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »
Yesterday I went to the grocery store.  As I walked in, I passed a lady coming out in a daze, with packages of toilet paper stacked in her cart.   Most products in the store were still fairly well stocked, except the toilet paper, which had almost disappeared!  (And spinach for some reason. Gone!)

I thought about our tall stack of cloth wipes -- soft, freshly laundered, ready for use should the need arise.  I smiled a smug smile and congratulated myself for being a sensible hygienius.

Seriously, we are supposed to be Mustachians, not people who join a herd mentality consumerist frenzy!

Save money. Save the environment. Save yourself the stress of the great Toilet Paper Panic of 2020.

Cloth wipes!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:00:31 PM by marble_faun »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2020, 09:01:30 PM »
So, uhm....how does that cloth wipe thing work when you have, er....street tacos?   Do you just toss the completed wipe job in the laundry machine or do you have to sort of rinse it first?

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2020, 09:09:27 PM »
So, uhm....how does that cloth wipe thing work when you have, er....street tacos?   Do you just toss the completed wipe job in the laundry machine or do you have to sort of rinse it first?

So glad you asked!

We throw all the soiled cloths in the washing machine, do a rinse cycle on cold without detergent (using a high water level to make sure it can rinse well), then wash as usual.

So far we have used the wipes only for our baby's cloth diapering, but the TP panic is giving me the idea that we could use them for ourselves as well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:13:07 PM by marble_faun »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2020, 09:12:34 PM »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2020, 09:16:50 PM »

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2020, 05:51:41 AM »

Last night my country announced at 5.30 PM that the coffeeshops (the ones that sell marijuana) would shut at 6 PM. So what did people do?

Around-the-corner lines of people waiting in front of the coffee shops to stock up on a 4-week stock of marijuana ofcourse!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2020, 06:23:38 AM »
So this is how Demolition Man's 3 seashells is implemented... the great TP shortage of 2020.
Love it. LOL

But seriously people, just consider a switch to cloth. After years of using my own homemade stuff (by which I mean an old towel cut up into squares) I splurged last year on a set from Cheeky Wipes. No connection to them other than being a satisfied customer. I heard of them because my sister got a set when she had her twins a couple of years ago and she heard of them because a good friend got them when she had a baby. When my set arrived there was damage to part of the container and they sent me a replacement part immediately. I think it took the owner less than an hour to reply to my email.

If you cut up an old towel, do you need to sew the edges so it won't unravel when washed?
I think for old T-shirts the answer is "no"? I seem to recall reading somewhere that one could use old T-shirt squares for nose-blowing.
Also, what about old bedsheets? Need to sew edges?
You're supposed to but I never got around to it. The edges got a bit frayed on some but the frayed bits got tangled in the washing machine, which kept them from fraying more.
I did try the same with t-shirt material but it rolled up really badly and I preferred the smaller but thicker squares of towel. Even using a pinking shears, which is supposed to stop that kind of rolling up of the edges from happening.
Basically if you have the skills and patience to sew edges, it's probably a good idea. But it's not the end of the world if you don't - worst thing that will happen is they won't last as long as you might have wanted. Or if you have access to a serger, that would be ideal.

So glad you asked!

We throw all the soiled cloths in the washing machine, do a rinse cycle on cold without detergent (using a high water level to make sure it can rinse well), then wash as usual.

So far we have used the wipes only for our baby's cloth diapering, but the TP panic is giving me the idea that we could use them for ourselves as well.
Setting this in spoiler tags because it's likely TMI/far too graphic talk about poo for some.
Spoiler: show
I've never had street tacos so I'm assuming this is the kind of situation where you have the runs or something similar. Excuse the very explicit language here but I have no idea how to get this across delicately.
In general, I find cloth smears far less than paper. There's much less of that having to go back multiple times with more paper until you're done. I generally wipe once, fold the square over and wipe again to make sure I didn't miss anything. One wipe is usually enough - there may be people who manage to do that with paper, but I almost never have. And the cloth is softer, too.

For diarrhoea-type situations it depends on the severity. It may be you end up with, er, substantially quantities of poo on your wipe. That has only happened to me once or twice but I just used ordinary paper (I always do have ordinary toilet roll because I'm not cruel enough to force any guests to use cloth) to essentially scrape off the excess and flush it. I don't have kids myself but I do have a lot of nieces and nehpews and friends with kids - I got a lot less squeamish about poo having spent time around babies, especially ones that are being weaned. So this didn't seem as gross to me as it might have when I was a teenager. I do wash my cloths on a 60C wash with a prewash of baking soda. It's so long ago that I can't remember what exactly the reasoning behind that was but I know I read a good bit around it at the time and decided that was what I was comfortable with from a hygiene point of view.

For the more severe, explosive diarrhoea situations, well, nothing is going to help in those situations anyway and over the years I have learned to be kind to my bum. So I strip off before I get up off the toilet and just get straight into the shower and rinse off properly. After I've made sure anything in the bath/shower has been rinsed down the plughole, I'll take off my glasses (which I need to keep on until then to, well, basically make sure I'm not standing in poo) and shower properly using plenty of soap. 'Cos diarrhoea is horrible and having a shower helps you feel a little less grotty anyway.

So there you go. More than anyone ever wanted to know about my bathrooms habits and chances of me ever going to any real-life MMM meet-ups just went down to about zero. :-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2020, 07:21:57 AM »
I strip off before I get up off the toilet and just get straight into the shower and rinse off properly.

*hi-5*

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »

That's the regular roll equivalent.  Each package of 6 says it is equal to 32 rolls.  Anyway, that's for only one butt, so it should last a long time.  I bought most of it before there was ever any clue that there was going to be a TP shortage on shelves.

Oh, so you only have 56 rolls of TP for one person. That's definitely better... lolwut. That'd still last us probably 6 months as a family of 4.

It's amazing to me how people justify irrational hoarding.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2020, 07:33:24 AM »

It was exactly 1 week ago I last saw TP in the store, and it was fairly plentiful at the time.  I didn't need any, but I went ahead and bought extra because I heard of shortages elsewhere.  So, I now have 300 rolls (regular equivalent). 

Congratulations on being part of the problem.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2020, 07:51:49 AM »
@GuitarStv You should spoiler that quote for those who really don't want to know. :-)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »

Personally, I wish i had some face masks and another bottle of hand sanitizer.  I have never had masks, but now am mildly worried if I caught this, I wouldn’t have one to wear if I needed to go to the doctor.  I have half a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer, and I realize it isn’t going to last very long.  I keep baby wipes in my purse, as I am a compulsive hand washer in general, and always preferred a good scrub to using sanitizer but think I should be adding the hand sanitizer to the mix, but alas, the hoarders have ensure that I don’t have access to those things. 

I am only mildly concerned about those two things, but it makes me angry that I can’t just have them. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:51:12 AM by FIRE Artist »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »

Personally, I wish i had some face masks and another bottle of hand sanitizer.  I have never had masks, but now am mildly worried if I caught this, I wouldn’t have one to wear if I needed to go to the doctor.  I have half a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer, and I realize it isn’t going to last very long.  I keep baby wipes in my purse, as I am a compulsive hand washer in general, and always preferred a good scrub to using sanitizer but think I should be adding the hand sanitizer to the mix, but alas, the hoarders have ensure that I don’t have access to those things.

You don't need an official face mask.  Just wearing a scarf/buff kind of thing will help prevent droplets of infection from spraying everywhere when you cough and sneeze.  Probably not as effective as the n95 masks, but should help a fair bit.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2020, 11:58:00 AM »

I am only mildly concerned about those two things, but it makes me angry that I can’t just have them.

If you have a sewing machine, you can just make your own. You can also handset them, but it would take a lot longer. There are some great tutorials online. The one I used was from a Singaporean lady who uses the masks on high pollution days.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
I went to our small town Walmart today and bought my three daughters empty condiment squeeze bottles to use in the bathroom. Only 93 cents. They had 12 on the bottom shelf under the small kitchen gadget shelves. Sent them in the mail as a special present. This Walmart had nothing left in the store. Good thing the squeeze bottles were the only thing I wanted. Like a portable bidet! (Of course, I’ve been using one for years.)

They live in very large cities and have encountered massive shortages everywhere they’ve turned. Because they are home cooks, they do have enough food in their pantries.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2020, 08:51:10 PM »
Not coming over to your house for a cookout

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »

I bought all but one of the packages back in January, not during the time when people were reporting TP shortages at stores.

2 bottles of sanitizer is reasonable - I keep one at home and one in the car.  Hopefully my employer will keep providing it at work.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »

I bought all but one of the packages back in January, not during the time when people were reporting TP shortages at stores.

I mean, you are the textbook definition of why this is a problem.

Someone who has zero immediate need or even near term need to buy something buying it "just in case."

No wonder all the stores are out of TP.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »

I mean, you are the textbook definition of why this is a problem.

Someone who has zero immediate need or even near term need to buy something buying it "just in case."

No wonder all the stores are out of TP.

I don't think so considering I last bought one package of TP over 2 weeks ago when there was still plenty in stock and nothing since.

I know a guy that went around buying TP and hand sanitizer and was selling it on eBay, until he received a warning.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2020, 09:10:17 PM »
I don't think so considering I last bought one package of TP over 2 weeks ago when there was still plenty in stock and nothing since.

I know a guy that went around buying TP and hand sanitizer and was selling it on eBay, until he received a warning.

Huh, TIL that 8 days (exactly 1 week from yesterday) is "over 2 weeks ago."

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2020, 09:15:45 PM »
@Roland of Gilead,
That was funny! :)
On the note in the padded envelope, I wrote, "If you don't use this for TP replacement, you can always store homemade BBQ sauce!"

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2020, 07:25:15 AM »
My wife and I were about to go on a trip to New Zealand but we didn't find out about their two week mandatory self isolation until a couple days before we were supposed to leave. We canceled the trip. We had two rolls of TP and enough food to feed us for a few days. We didn't want to have a lot of fresh food on hand since we were going to be gone for a month. We figured we could stock up when we got back, on food and TP.

We ran out of TP, paper towels and our one box of tissues and now we can't find any in our area. I went to six different places yesterday and they're all out. I just went this morning when a couple stores first opened and they haven't re-stocked yet. We're down to using a bag full of rags (old t-shirts and socks with holes) that I use for working on my car. Of course we washed them first. We have some friends that offered to give us a roll but we feel bad because they all have kids, we don't. Certain types of food is also increasingly difficult to find.

So if there are any people actually hoarding toilet paper, please stop. If I find out who you are, I'm dumping our used rags on your lawn.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2020, 07:32:22 AM »
TP update - operation shower head bidet is fully underway in our house!

Not even out of toilet paper yet, just feels cleaner.  :P

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2020, 08:35:29 PM »

Huh, TIL that 8 days (exactly 1 week from yesterday) is "over 2 weeks ago."

I went and checked my receipt.  I was thinking I picked up the TP during the trip I got the hand sanitizer, so I must have picked it up the following weekend.  Oh well, there was still plenty in stock.  I actually used less of the local supply in the last couple months than I have in years, though, because January was the first time I ever bought TP off of Amazon, and I only bought that one package over a week ago.  So I'm helping out the local supply.  :D