Author Topic: What is everyones travel/vacation budget per year?  (Read 32875 times)

EXLIer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What is everyones travel/vacation budget per year?
« on: March 07, 2016, 06:35:49 AM »
Just curious. 

Our combined incomes are roughly $180K, and I budget $1,200/mo ( $14,400/yr ) for travel. 

We're a family of 4, take roughly 3 domestic and 1 international trips per year. 

It's excessive, but we moved away from family and we like to visit.  We're also dual citizens and enjoy going back to Europe every year to visit family. 

Other than that, there are no beach or destination vacations - everything is for visiting family.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: What is everyones travel/vacation budget per year?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 07:02:10 AM »
No budget; gasoline for various family visits and day trips a couple times a year comes from monthly cash flow. That's all we do, though I have to travel for work a bit, and he went to an overnight bachelors party a few years back (rented a cabin and played D&D all night, those wild and crazy boys).

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:09:16 AM »
I don't have one. Things come up and I attend what seems reasonable at the time. My sisters getting married soon (1500 miles away) and a very close friend is getting married a few weeks after (1800 miles away). I also have a class reunion is like to attend this year (1500 miles away). All of these will be more like 3 day weekends and the majority of the costs covered by credit card rewards.

Other than that, vacations happen when I'm able to make it happen with work. If I seem like I'll have a slow period I'll plan a vacation, or try to. Some years I travel more than others.

If I stuck to a xx amount every single year I may try to force trips when they aren't as practical or miss perfect times for good vacations because it's not "in my budget."

I'm like this for most things really. If you can have the self control not to be unreasonable with spending, budgets can be a big unnecessary inconvenience.

Lucky Girl

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:57 AM »
And I thought our travel budget was high!  We add $10k to our vacation budget from DH's bonus every year.  We are a family of four, and most of our travel is family, but we usually take one trip to a moderate hotel on a beach per year.  Family lives all across the country and across the Atlantic, but we have not purchased flights to Europe since the kids were born.  When we do, our budget will probably be $14k!

As other posters have noted, we don't believe firmly in the "budget" for travel.  We add to the amount every year, but are willing to go over budget or under as needed when travel arises.  Travel is a priority for our family, and we have the resources to have that high of a budget and still save 40-50% of income.

chubbybunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 07:15:53 AM »
I think we are very successful on our path to FIRE, but travel is an area that we am willing to spend on.  When I think of early retirement, I imagine long trips that could take months (where as now I'm limited to 1-2 weeks at a time).

I don't want to wait until I retire to have those experiences, so we spend the money.  Our income is about $165k and last year we spent about $5400 on travel.  This year will be more.  ($1200 each in the last few months, but we purchased plane tickets).  We have a beach trip planned for April, an international trip planned in June, and a week in Orlando in September.  I've thought about getting an RV so we can take more last minute trips, but it always seems cheaper to just pay for hotels and restaurants. 

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:17:50 AM »
Right now it's 6k per year for the four of us.  Pays for a long weekend every month or so.  When we're done with the mortgage, it will go up to 8k because travelling is our "thing", it's a priority.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »
No budget here, but if I look in Mint it tells me that we've (we = wife and me) averaged $248/mo (around $3k/year) on travel-related expenses since February of 2012. The amount spent appears to be trickling up each year.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
We spend a couple hundred dollars a year on gas for travel.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 07:26:35 AM »
Travel is one of those things we value spending our money on. I budget 1 international trip every other year, and 4-6 long weekend trips throughout the year around the US. We also do a lot of motorcycle trips, both day trips and overnight.

Spend about $5000/yr for two people. This is only 5-7% of our net income. Thank you travel hacking :)

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »
We like to travel, as well, but do one really local vacation annually that costs virtually nothing (stay with family), and plan to take either one domestic trip (US) annually, or one international trip every two or three years. Domestic trips have run us between $1,500-$2,500, depending on the destination and length of stay. International we've spent about $4,000-$5,000 for two people on each trip so far. We've agreed to live near family so we aren't spending our vacation time/travel budget to visit. Our incomes are much lower than the OPs, though.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
We don't really have a budget.  Our income is around $260k per year, family of 4.

Last year, following trips: ~$1400
1.  2 days camping in the desert, 2 days Palm Springs -~$400
2.  2 weeks visiting family on the opposite coast (used miles for tickets, plus train in between) ~$800 (included a last minute stay in a hotel due to flight delays)
3.  1 week visiting national parks in Utah (didn't happen, we got the stomach flu, only made one night in Las Vegas and went home): $170

This year: $4300 +
1.  Legoland: $700 (2 nights in a hotel, one day at park, family of 4 + MIL)
2.  That Utah trip (we were able to transfer our reservation for a small amount of money) $1200 (mostly Air-BNB, but also gas)
3.  Trip back East (my niece is graduating): $2000 (this is an estimate, haven't bought tickets yet)
4.  Trip to get my kid (we are leaving him back east for a couple of extra weeks after the graduation): $400
5.  Maybe some place over Thanksgiving.

So, I'd say in the last few years, $5k would be a high year.  Prior to having kid #2, we would spend more.  One year we went to Hawaii ($4k spring break), DC (oh wait, that was on miles), and at least one other place.  So maybe $7k.

Traveling with an infant sucks when you have another kid (wasn't so bad when there was only one of them), and it's not much better with a 3 year old.  In general, since kid #2, we've been on the "1 flight per year" path.  But we are breaking that this year.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 01:16:42 PM »
in the middle of the obligatory 5 year slog of rapid-fire weddings.

All the vacation hours are being donated!

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
My budget is pretty excessive - $0.

When we are on holidays we may spend a little more based on possibly eating out once or twice or going to see a movie or fixing something in the house. We will stay at home though.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 02:27:51 PM »
We don't have a budget. We spend what we spend.

We probably take 1-2 domestic trip each year, and also 1 international trip every other year. 

It's rare that a domestic trip costs more than $300 (driving to see family). It's rare that an international trip costs more than $3,000.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
We spent about $2K last year for a beach trip. Condo rental, some eating out, some fun stuff for the kids, groceries and gas money. Honestly it was a deluxe trip by our measure.

We can do that every year and not be financially hurt by that.

Want to do a big trip back to Europe were I lived years ago. bring the family along of course. That would be $15K as far as I can estimate. We could do that now too but am not motivated to spend like that at this time.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 03:09:53 PM »
$200/month. We try to use award points/miles for most of our airfare and lodging if possible, which saves a ton of money. We aren't spending $2400/year on travel, though, it's partly saving up for when we do a bigger international trip.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 03:14:35 PM »
Hard to say.

I have a trip this summer, 2 weeks in Europe, 2 people.  I expect it to be completely covered by travel/cash awards.  This includes flights, hotels, other transportation, food, all other costs like museum fees, etc. 

A 5-8 day roadtrip I'm planning in late summer I think will run me $800-$1200 (first rough estimate).  If I will have any cash rewards left over after trip to Europe (doubtfull!), I'll use to cover part of the cost.

Also have $800 set aside for two kids to fly to Florida for 2 weeks. Unaccompanied minor fees are killing me ($400 flights + $400 in minor fees), but not much I can do at this point.  It will be few more years before we can stop paying unaccompanied minor fees.  This is pretty much an annual expense, though last year my parents paid half of it.  This year it's all on me.  I budget for full cost since I don't want to be counting on something that is not certain and certainly not expected.

Summer 2017 trip is not planned or scheduled yet, but with destination set to Iceland, which is notorious for not being award friendly, I will need to price it and then budget for the trip.

I should have sufficient amount of rewards left to cover some portion of summer 2018 trip, whatever that may be. I should at least be able to cover flights and portion of the lodging, if nothing else.  I'll worry about that sometime in 2017. 

Any long weekend trip that may happen in the near future will be out of pocket since I will be saving my existing rewards for bigger trips in the next 2 years.  My problem with long weekend trips is that I don't have a car and I haven't completely figured out car rental/insurance costs as I've been without a car only for about 6 months now. 

I'm also taking a break from credit card travel awards for about 2 years.  Seems that I've reached saturation point with that. 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:18:43 PM by FiguringItOut »

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
We spend <$2k per year on a one week trip to a national park. Most of that is airfare and lodging. Everything else is pretty cheap, especially compared to visiting a big city. Rest of vacation time is spent at home, relatives visiting us or vice-versa.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 11:06:28 PM »
We spend about $1500 every other year or so to rent a house on a lake.

We also go to family weddings when they happen.

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 11:14:43 PM »
We're trying $600/month on for size this year. Not really a budget (we've spent a whopping $120 of the $1,400 or so "available" to us to date); it's our estimate based on where we've gone the past couple years, where we're planning on going this year and how much it looks to cost in light of how we've changed the way we travel.

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »
We cash-flow the vast majority of our travel, which is primarily to visit family and/or attend weddings (we have a standing family reunion with spouse's family every summer, and one every other summer with my extended clan). These are pretty cheap -- we camp for them! -- so they're barely a blip on the radar.

We're planning on taking bigger international trips every four years or so. We took the kids to Europe for two weeks a couple of years ago, and want to take them to Iceland in another couple of years. We save up for these and pay cash; each trip costs about $8 - $10k or so, mostly in airfare and lodgings (we rent apartments or cottages and self-cater).

Our travel-limiting factor, to be honest, is vacation. DH only gets 15 days a year; I teach and work for the county and the summer is my high season at work, so getting away is tough. We prioritize family gatherings, so finding time for these bigger trips is the real challenge.

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:29 AM »
I don't budget for trips. I always talk about trips with my friends (Germany for beer fest, mexico for spring break) but talk is all it ever ends up being no one commits to a plan and everyone wants their optimal time line/cost which makes things difficult. It's difficult because at my age group, most of my friends from school found dead end jobs they can't leave or face going broke or they are in school and can't afford it.

I have been to Mexico a couple times once for about 900$ for a week and the other for 1700$

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 03:13:35 AM »
I sort of budget... last year I spent ~a thousand bucks to fly my parents to where I live, and about half that to drive the american southwest, and a few hundred more to do the pacific northwest.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 03:41:30 AM »
I'm in my early years of FIRE, so travel represented about 25% of my spend last year. This year's travel budget is a more modest 14%.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 05:44:39 AM »
Right now our travel budget is low - somewhere around $1500 a year. We almost exclusively drive everywhere we go and it's almost always to visit family (where we have free food and lodging). I think there have been only a couple times in the past few years (honeymoon excluded, though even that was only ~$2,000) where my wife and I have gone somewhere other than to visit family.  Down the road we hope to do more traveling, especially internationally but it's really challenging when you have family in more than a dozen states and a finite number of vacation days to work with per year.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 06:00:11 AM »
Our travel budget is $600/month for two adults.  This covers an international trip every other year to see family on the other side of the world.  On alternating years we may do another international trip, or a few smaller trips to make sure we have money for the family trip.  We don't usually spend to that amount, but fluctuating exchange rates and inconsistent plane tickets have made us happy we have it.

EXLIer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 06:17:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yes, ours it rather high.  At $600 a r/t for a domestic flight, and $1,500 a r/t to get to Europe, it adds up. 

We've actually considered relocating to the east coast to be close to family mainly but also eliminate this rather costly expense ( along with the time and stress of traveling with 2 kids, and leaving a cat & dog behind ) but always scratch the idea.  It would really, from a financial standpoint, be a major setback. 

Hopefully I can get a set of free domestic r/t tickets with miles accrued on my AA card from purchases. 

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 06:37:13 AM »
Have you looked into either the BarclayCard Arrival MasterCard or the Chase Sapphire travel rewards card? Neither of these lock you into using a particular airline or hotel chain (you just buy your airline tickets and other travel-related costs with the card, and reimburse yourself for the purchase with your miles).

I love our BarclayCard--we don't spend nearly as much on travel as you, but so far it's saved us about $1,500 on the two trips to Europe we made in 2014 and 2015. With higher incomes, I bet you would rack up even more points than we do. :)

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 06:40:49 AM »
We don't really budget for trips, but I think we spent close to $10,000 last rolling year.  But, that is everything on a trip including gas, airfare, lodging, meals out ect.  It is high because we did a lot of month long travel and some airline trips.  But, this is our major expense in our lives, so we basically live to travel!

Miss Prim

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 07:20:07 AM »
I've been spending about £5.5k for the last few years, just for me. I've had some epic trips, notably Peru/Bolivia, doing the Inca Trail, amazon jungle retreat, seeing Lake Titicaca, and a Serengeti safari and hike up Kilimanjaro.

As my long term plans are for some slow travel, I'm going to cut back on expensive trips for the next few years, just a few European and UK trips. The maths say that 5 years of £3.5k holidays saved would give me one year in South East Asia. Whilst still allowing me to take ~8 trips a year, just closer to home and cheaper.

Sweetloveginger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Sweet Love & Ginger - A food & Lifestyle Blog
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 07:21:01 AM »
We don't really plan a travel budget, but then most of our vacations are backpacking or camping, so aside from a tank of gas we aren't paying much. This year however we are taking a real vacation to Italy (our last international trip was 2012) so for that I'm budgeting something like $4k or less.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 10:20:50 AM »
I've pretty consistently spent $5000 per year for each of the last 6 years.  This includes 1-2 international trips, a few days added on to business trips, and camping trips nearby. 

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 11:23:01 AM »
We budget $6000 per year for travel for DW and me but we haven't spent anything in the past two years except gas and expenses to travel from Calgary to our Gulf Island property a few times a year. Post RE, our annual slow travel budget will be $2500 for air tickets, and a maximum of $600 a month for living expenses such as renting a studio apartment or beach house, local transportation (scooter or bicycles), and food.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »
The past few years we have spent about 14k/year but are inour early 60's and want to travel while we can.  In years past we spent much less.

2lazy2retire

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
Just curious. 

Our combined incomes are roughly $180K, and I budget $1,200/mo ( $14,400/yr ) for travel. 

We're a family of 4, take roughly 3 domestic and 1 international trips per year. 

It's excessive, but we moved away from family and we like to visit.  We're also dual citizens and enjoy going back to Europe every year to visit family. 

Other than that, there are no beach or destination vacations - everything is for visiting family.

Very similar - ditto on the trips back home

loftygoal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 01:36:18 PM »
I never realized it before but we don't have a travel budget. We just make frugal travel choices. I churn about a dozen credit cards for sign-up bonuses and miles, so travel and lodging is often free (free + booking fees), but our largest travel expense is having to pay for boarding for our pets. I have yet to figure out a good way to frugalize overnight pet boarding.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
I never realized it before but we don't have a travel budget. We just make frugal travel choices. I churn about a dozen credit cards for sign-up bonuses and miles, so travel and lodging is often free (free + booking fees), but our largest travel expense is having to pay for boarding for our pets. I have yet to figure out a good way to frugalize overnight pet boarding.

A free housesitter? Or homeswap?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »
Don't really have a budget, but have been spending close to $20K annually last few years.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 02:35:36 PM »
I don't keep a number, I travel as much as I want, but I do is as economically as I can. EX: We are going to FL in the fall... credit-card points for the flight.

We are going to Tokyo in the spring of 2017... again credit card rewards.

Money Mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »
We drive to MIL's once a year for a week long visit, $1200 for that (gas, hotel, food, and a day at Hershey Park - grandma doesn't have room for us and trying to cook at her place is a bitch, so we do breakfast at the hotel, sandwiches at Gma's for lunch and eat out for dinner all week).

We used to spend another $1000 annually to fly to my Dad's home a few states away, but he's in the process of relocating back to my area so that will stop. I'll still fly out that way on occasion to visit my brother but it won't be annually any longer. So we get to see my Dad a heck of a lot more often AND we get $1k back into our budget to save/spend elsewhere, sweet!

Other than trips to see "the Grands", right now we are playing it by ear. We decide on if we want to take a trip, and if so then where, and depending on that we try to fit it into the budget based on current goals and funds.  DD is still young (4 years old) and while she's super easy to travel with, she isn't quite old enough to go on the types of trips we want to take. We are also saving like mad for a down payment. So I think this year will be just the trip to Gma's house. Next year I want to try and take the kidlet to Disney though, that will be about $2k (even after free air/hotel on points...yikes those park tickets are $$$), but it will depend on how the house savings is going.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »
We budget $500/mo for travel for a family of 5.  Any above this amount is from DH's or my bonuses. Our combined income is in the $275-$300K range.

We have managed to get all but 3 of the U.S. states (Vermont, Alaska and Hawaii) with our children over the past few years. 

Largely, we find great deals on airfare or we DRIVE.

We love Spirit (no Spirit) airlines and Hotwire.  They help us keep our $500/mo budget. Where else besides Spirit can you fly round trip from Chicago to California, Myrtle Beach, New Orleans, Portland, or Houston for $46.20/person ROUND TRIP?  We use Hotwire for the hotel and rental car - we don't usually care exactly which hotel we are staying in as long as it is a 3 1/2* or better. Priceline doesn't work for 4 people in hotels.

DH always says he "never gets a vacation" as he only considers week long vacations "vacations".  He never wants to take a full week off. We mostly do Saturday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Saturday vacations.  That's when Spirit has their cheap airfare. (Too bad they don't fly to HI or AK.) $231 gets 5 of us round trip, we spend $75/night on hotels, and usually $50 for the rental car. We pack everyone in 1 suitcase ($40 RT) which includes an aero mattress for the kid who gets stuck on the floor in the hotel room. We generally do one of those trips about every other month, which allows us to eat out and do some paid sightseeing. 

Actually, with our Spirit miles from all our trips, we have enough to do 6 days in Jamaica this December on their points break (10,000 miles is all it takes to go RT from Chicago to Jamaica)! DH is still trying to figure out if he can take that much time off.

This year travel will be more expensive because we are going to China with the kids for Spring Break....We used DH's bonus for that.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 07:00:24 AM »
With 4 people, the costs to get there kill us if it's flying distance, but if we drive it's obviously cheap. Last year we took a "big" trip to Yellowstone, 2k just for flights, then another 1-2k for all the other costs. Other than that we pretty much camp and visit family.

I've never had much luck finding super cheap hotels or air bnb, so unless we camp lodging has been 100$ a night typically. And after all the work of traveling with small children we do tend to eat out sone if we aren't camping.

I would ideally like to budget ~6-8k a year but that is not currently possible. Right now we are more like 2-3k a year on average but spending most of it one year, then taking the next year off and just camping.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »
Don't have a budget, but spend pretty liberally on vacations (usually 3 with the wife, 2 solo).  Probably spend in the neighborhood of $10k-$12k, depending on locations visited.  Income is about 20% higher than yours.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 08:31:27 AM »
Asking someone their budget of anything is like asking someone what brand of underwear they wear.

sam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Nest
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 08:38:51 AM »
Under £100 a month, I'm a single 27yr old living with my GF.

Covers enough for 2 international trips and several weekends away.

Sam

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
I put $5000 down on the spreadsheet but in reality we spend what we spend.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 08:42:04 AM »
Under 5% of gross income.  With airfares so low (as little as $300 inter-continental), that is plenty for four or five international trips per year for us.  Last year spouse forced me to get Invisalign braces so I subtracted the cost from the travel budget.

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »
Travel expense is by far the most un-Mustachian aspect of my budget, pushing around 1K a month.  My frugality muscle is incredibly weak in this department.  Every year I vow to take an ax to it, and every year I seem to cut off a financial limb instead.     

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 06:17:28 AM »
People in this thread spend an astounding amount of money on travel each year.

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 06:37:04 AM »
People in this thread spend an astounding amount of money on travel each year.
True, but just remember life is all about doing what you love and some people here seem to love their travelling so it's not a bad thing if you do something you love even if it costs alot....as long as it doesn't put you in debt.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!