Author Topic: What hobby do you have now, that you plan to continue enjoying post-FIRE?  (Read 7900 times)

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
I love me some hobby board games and I don't see that stopping any time soon. Although the number of games I've purchased has slowed down a great deal. I also enjoy walking/light hiking, fooling around with music production in Garage Band and reading.

What are your hobbies? How do you think FIRE will change them, if at all?

For instance - board games. I'll have a lot more time to play 'em, that's for sure! I'm planning on hosting private events and maybe doing a monthly meetup at the local library for anyone to show up. On the other hand, my post-FIRE budget (actually, my pre-FIRE budget as of 8 months ago) won't allow me to purchase as many as I have in the past. So I'll be replaying more and enjoying the 'cult of the new' less.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Being FIRE certainly means enjoying hobbies more!  I have more time for birding, crochet and reading.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
Thankfully we have a lot of interests and hobbies, so I don't see us "sitting around watching TV." etc. We never did.

Yes, reading, slow travel, gardening, boating and some fishing. Going to the beach, snorkeling, ski/skate in winter, yoga, cooking, just spending more time with family and friends, and some hiking just to name a few. Hope we can keep doing these as long as possible.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
Ooh, I forgot road trips. My wife and I have some wonderful (and wonderfully long) road trips planned. :) Hopefully we'll get to our first before we FIRE though.

Bobberth

• Bristles
I live near the Missouri River. My pre-FIRE goal, while I still have income, is to purchase a folding bike and to build a trailer for my kayak. Then my FIRE plan is to bike out 30 miles on the Katy Trail, lash the bike on my yak and paddle back 29 miles to the boat ramp, get the bike back out and pedal the last 3 miles home. Do that 3-4 times a week as time/weather allows. More time with my hobby and it becomes cheaper as I won't have to pay gas for the shuttle.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
Backpacking and ride my bicycle.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
Golf.  I plan to play a lot more when I retire.  Which means I have to budget for higher spending on my hobby.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
For instance - board games. I'll have a lot more time to play 'em, that's for sure! I'm planning on hosting private events and maybe doing a monthly meetup at the local library for anyone to show up. On the other hand, my post-FIRE budget (actually, my pre-FIRE budget as of 8 months ago) won't allow me to purchase as many as I have in the past. So I'll be replaying more and enjoying the 'cult of the new' less.

Look into Board Game Libraries.  There is one near me that has a monthly fee to be a part of ($18 I think) or you can pay some fee for a single visit ($6 I think).  There may be one near you, and you will never have to buy a game again!

Take the hobby money you save, and plan a trip to Indy for GenCon every year!

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
Cycling

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
Beekeeping.
Writing SF novels.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
I live near the Missouri River. My pre-FIRE goal, while I still have income, is to purchase a folding bike and to build a trailer for my kayak. Then my FIRE plan is to bike out 30 miles on the Katy Trail, lash the bike on my yak and paddle back 29 miles to the boat ramp, get the bike back out and pedal the last 3 miles home. Do that 3-4 times a week as time/weather allows. More time with my hobby and it becomes cheaper as I won't have to pay gas for the shuttle.

I can't imagine what this looks like.  Neither can my Google Fu.  O Bobberth, paddler of rivers, is there a picture of what this would look like?

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
Not a bad idea at all! I live waaaaaay out in the burbs so may have to travel a bit to find a board game cafe or some such thing. I've tried they mail order "Netflix of Board Games" type services with... meh results. I've not yet been to Gen Con but some day! I do have a local con or two I go to every year that helps me game my brains out for 3-4 days straight though.

Look into Board Game Libraries.  There is one near me that has a monthly fee to be a part of ($18 I think) or you can pay some fee for a single visit ($6 I think).  There may be one near you, and you will never have to buy a game again!

Take the hobby money you save, and plan a trip to Indy for GenCon every year!

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Running! I run ultramarathons, anywhere from 50k up to 100 miles. Currently stick to around 6-7 races a year (no more than 4 hundreds). Would love to be able to train more and perhaps do a hundred per month! I'm sure DW would be ok with it... yeah...

Edubb20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Jiu Jitsu, Basketball, Video Games and Reading.

I'll likely continue these as long as I am able.

Joeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Triathlons, read

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
At... the same time?

Triathlons, read

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
Likely fishing, jiu jitsu, cycling.

A hobby I used to have but don't at present due to time and family constraints is sailboat racing (crewing on other boats).  Given time off I will definitely reconnect with that world - it is all but free and endless fun.

rageth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
So cool that there are so many jiujiteiro mustachians! I'll also be practicing and learning jiu jitsu in my ER.  Also into the board games. I'm addicted to Twilight Imperium at the moment.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
Golfing, designing and building furniture, reading... Hey, Schaefer Lite, i got a volunteer gig at the local golf course and play and practice at no cost. When you have time, it doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
I enjoy writing and playing guitar, but neither one earns me money, so I just mess around with it as a hobby. I would love to do more with it when I FIRE.

Northwoods

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Kayaking
Snowshoeing
Fishing
Hiking
Travel

The more time, the better!

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
Sewing/quilting, painting (art), furniture design-build, cook elaborate dinner parties. I do all these things now, but look forward to my DH joining me on some, and for the kids to be older so I can spend more time on my hobbies.  (I'm semi retired already - I'm a SAHM, youngest is 2.)

MoMan

• Stubble
Woodworking!

... and using my woodworking projects. A few years ago I built a wooden, cedar strip canoe, and last summer I launched the 17 foot sailboat I built. I plan to go on more camping/boating trips when I FIRE in 2.58 years.

Otherwise, I want to up my industrial arts game: I bought a decent lathe last December and intend to create some really nice bowls, toys, and numerous gifts for friends (just listen for the tree trimmers' chainsaws in the neighborhood and the material is free!!). I also want to learn to weld, sew, upholster and whatever other skills I can absorb for cheap.

I also want to beef up my bike riding.

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
I build custom amplifiers

CU Tiger

• Bristles
I have an inexpensive hobby and a more spendy one.

Reading is cheap if you are a fan of the public library.

Quilting can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it. I own the machine and tools already, and fabric can be less or more expensive, depending on where you get it, what sort you get, and if you are willing to shop yard sales, thrift shops, etc.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
For me, cycling, hiking and photography.  Potential side hustle there, but I've got lots more to learn first.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
I used to do Muay Thai Kickboxing, and it was the most fun work out I've done.  There are a few schools close to me, but it is too expensive post-FIRE, and it was hard to get to the specific class times.  Hopefully FIRE will allow me to get back into it!

Also, skiing more than once a year!

I'm a former teacher, and I'd probably get back into teaching, or at least mentoring at local schools.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
Duplicate bridge

NESailor

• Bristles
Woodworking!

... and using my woodworking projects. A few years ago I built a wooden, cedar strip canoe, and last summer I launched the 17 foot sailboat I built. I plan to go on more camping/boating trips when I FIRE in 2.58 years.

Otherwise, I want to up my industrial arts game: I bought a decent lathe last December and intend to create some really nice bowls, toys, and numerous gifts for friends (just listen for the tree trimmers' chainsaws in the neighborhood and the material is free!!). I also want to learn to weld, sew, upholster and whatever other skills I can absorb for cheap.

I also want to beef up my bike riding.

THIS.  All of it :D.  I am starting a bit smaller though.  About to finish an okoume ply kayak (the kit, the one that everyone buys ;).  I also sail and race but on larger boats.  Ride my bike as much as I can.  Too much to list really.

I'm somewhat enamored by wherries with drop-in sliding seat units.  I have no real use for one (already have several watercraft) and I've never rowed anything but a gym-rowing machine but they are just so damn beautiful.  My sister's boyfriend grew up in some rich town in CT and was on several crews (HS and college) so I can use that as a reason to get into it...maybe :)

Peter Parker

• Stubble
I like to go deep with my hobbies....and can't wait to have the time to do it.

I used to fly fish a lot.  I  tied my own flies, built my own rods, and explored many back roads.  But life, kids, and my own excuses got in the way.

I hope to get back into it...fishing and exploring during the summers and tying flies/building rods/ taking aquatic etymology classes in the winter.  Gotta keep the brain and the body in shape!

Fire2025

• Bristles
metalsmithing
fiber and paper arts
home improvement
gardening

I'm looking forward to being busier in RE than I am now!!!!!!!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Mountain Biking
Hiking
Running
Cycling
Swimming
Traveling
Motorcycling
Camping
Video Games

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
Right now I knit and I have dogs, and that's about all I have time for. I imagine both of these things will carry through to FIRE. Hopefully I will add writing and gardening when I have more time!

Ox05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stock Music Musician
Continue making music for fun, whether in a band or through licensing it as a side hustle. Currently I make a few hundred dollars a month licensing music, but I'm sure if I focused on it with more of my time, it could really grow. I'd also keep blogging about how to get the most out of my favorite piece of music production software, Reason (www.reasonguide.com)

icegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I guess I my work is my hobby...I am a badminton coach and I don't think I will completely FIRE from it. I think I would like to keep coaching a few times a week after FIRE.

Other things I enjoy are working out, hiking, travelling, watching Netflix and reading. I plan to dedicate almost all my free time to these activities after I stop working :)

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
I like brewing beer and climbing rocks. When I head in FIRE 81 days from now I plan on spending a whole lot more time doing these two things. I actually can't think of a reason why someone would give up on a hobby when they finally start having more free time. Does it ever happen?

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
Hey, Schaefer Lite, i got a volunteer gig at the local golf course and play and practice at no cost. When you have time, it doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

I like that idea.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
Selling on eBay. I stinking love it. Did a lot less last year (3.5k profit) than previous year (6.5k profit). I'd probably be more selective about what I was selling, but then again, I don't want to get too attached to the items I'm selling. If I do that, then it means that I'm going to get really annoyed when the issues pop up.

Otherwise, volleyball. I'd love to coach my girls and continue playing outdoors as much as possible.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
All of them.  But spending more time on the outdoors ones!

Mountain + road bicycling, bike touring
Hiking, getting back into backpacking, camping
Skiing, more backcountry time
Traveling, longer trips.  Road trips, plane trips, international.
Supporting traveling via credit card hacking.  FIRE = flexibility to use the crazy-good deals that pop up at the last minute.
Reading more
Learning to play guitar
House projects that never seem to get done now
Learning to cook better + healthier

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Spending more time on existing hobbies will be great!

Tango, blues, swing dancing; teaching others to dance
Playing piano; teaching others to play piano
Helping out with kids (not my kids) lego robotics clubs/competitions
Reading
Gardening
Hiking/backpacking/camping
Travel

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
I don't think I have any hobbies I WILL give up post-FIRE!

Dogs - I have two of my own that I want to spend more time with, but I may have to stop fostering due to location and being more nomadic

Reading - Maybe I can catch up on my to read list

Canoeing, Fishing, Hunting, Hiking, Snowshoeing

Slow Travel, Offroading, Camping, and generally Exploring - Currently setting up my truck to camp in the bed

Leather Working, Tanning, Woodworking - Generally anything that involves building or creating

Gardening
Skating
Learning/Practicing Spanish - In Latin America?

Also I want to add Writing to the list, but I don't actually do very much writing currently

A hobby I used to have but don't at present due to time and family constraints is sailboat racing (crewing on other boats).  Given time off I will definitely reconnect with that world - it is all but free and endless fun.

OH YA!! I used to do this and would love to get back at it.

Woodworking!

Awesome! I thought about building a canoe post-FIRE too, but I may have to skip that step and build a sailboat instead!! I know my dad would be in for helping with that project, but I know he REALLY wants to build a tallship instead. Ha!

Welding is another good one I should learn.

Do you have any pics of your sailboat and your canoe? Or places/links for ideas to get started? What material is the sailboat made from? I'm not supposed to be starting new projects yet, but the wheels in my head are already spinning!

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Running half-marathons in different parts of the country.  Reading and traveling to where the books are based on.  Hiking.

akzidenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was an extremely frugal reader as a child (2 books/day checked out from my public school library) and I expect I'll be a…reasonably frugal reader as an adult (I tend to coast at buying one book a month, and aggressively use the library otherwise).

I stopped reading a bit in college, and got back into it around the time I began posting here. It reminded me that some of the most fulfilling experiences in my life have been tucked into an armchair, reading something wonderful. It's nice to truly bask in and enjoy a very frugal hobby.

MoMan

• Stubble
Do you have any pics of your sailboat and your canoe? Or places/links for ideas to get started? What material is the sailboat made from?

There are a couple of pix of the canoe (western red cedar with ash gunnels and some basswood and peruvian walnut accent strips) in there also.

Poke around elsewhere on that forum and you'll find tons of inspiration and resources.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:32:08 AM by MoMan »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Do you have any pics of your sailboat and your canoe? Or places/links for ideas to get started? What material is the sailboat made from?

Here's the build thread for my sailboat.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?174341-Welsford-Pathfinder-build-in-Houston
There are a couple of pix of the canoe (western red cedar with ash gunnels and some basswood and peruvian walnut accent strips) in there also.

Poke around elsewhere on that forum and you'll find tons of inspiration and resources.

Awesome, thanks!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
I have an electronics hobby and have a bench setup with all the test equipment.  I enjoy building radio related things. I  have retired and have done a few bench projects, but the morning email, check the stock market open,
follow a stock market related chat, and before I know it it's 11am. I go to the gym 4 to 6 days and week and spend
at least an hour working out. All that gets in the way of my hobby, but I do have a radio antenna project in the works, that will probably be a 3 or 4 day project. I have a hike and caverns excusion on Friday.

PJC74

• Stubble
poker, basketball, surfing, pumping iron

kiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SQL Practice Problems
PICKLEBALL! I just got into it a few months ago. There are 2 hour drop-in sessions at a nearby community center three times a week, and I frequently manage to make all three of them.

Pickleball is combination of badminton, tennis, and ping pong. You can visualize it by thinking of playing tennis, but standing on the ping-pong table.

There's a huge, very friendly sub-culture of pickleball players. Many of them are standard retirement age, and many of the drop-in sessions are during work hours, but it's starting to become more popular with the younger crowd too. It's something you can learn in about 30 minutes, and start having real fun in about an hour, though mastering it is an ongoing process and can take months and years.

Also, when you travel around in the US (and increasingly other countries as well), just bring your paddle with, and you'll probably be able to find a friendly pick-up game that you can join. At the community center I go to, there's the regulars, and and frequently also people who are just visiting the area and want to get some play in.

Here's a video you can watch for a little intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmYF67dqNaQ&t=5s

Many people, once the organized sports leagues of childhood are over, don't have any sports in their lives. I never played any organized sports, but now that I'm playing pickleball, I'm realizing how much I've been missing. Competitive play can be such pure, unadulterated fun!

And oh yeah - it's cheap. Buy a paddle ($15 - $80) and a few balls, and show up (my community center charges $2 a session, if you find outdoor courts it'll be free).

One more thing - I had heard of pickleball many years ago, and went to a drop-in session at a community center. Nobody was unfriendly, but there was also nobody who made an effort to welcome new players and show them the ropes. I didn't try again for a long time, and thus missed year of fun!  I later learned that that particular location was known for having quite advanced players. Don't make my mistake. If you find that a certain drop-in pickleball session is not the right place or is too advanced, don't give up, try another place, or take a class. Pickleball options around the country are exploding.

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm trying to spread the awareness of pickleball. Also, PM me if you're in the Seattle area and want to try it out, I have spare paddles.

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Woodworking.  I have a pretty good size shop and make things for friends and family.  Slowly replacing anything from ikea in my house.  I need to be careful with this hobby because it can get expensive with new tools and wood.  Moving to the east coast soon from the west coast and having a shop is pretty important in new house. I also like hiking, biking, gardening, weight lifting and would like to try bee keeping now that I've FIRED.

Dora the Homebody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm a hobby collector :)

Arts & crafts - oil painting, scrapbooking, crochet, knit, sew, other fibre crafts & misc (christmas ornaments, gift baskets)
Gardening - from flowers to a full vegetable garden
Food - I preserve the food from the garden (canning, freezing), I also love to cook & bake, pick berries
Animals - I have 2 horses, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 6 chickens
Outdoors - hiking, snowshoeing
Volunteering - Big Brothers Big Sisters volunteer; would love to dedicate more time to that in the future.

Investing/personal finance is my new hobby for 2017 :)