Author Topic: What have you taught yourself to do through researching online  (Read 3781 times)

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
What have you taught yourself to do through researching online
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:44:43 AM »
Sometimes I take for granted the astounding amount of information on the internet.  We truly live in an amazing time.  I am in a phase of life where I am having a lot of fun learning new things.  Have you taught yourself anything cool lately?  Care to share a link or story?  Right now I am starting to learn about the human microbiome through edX.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
Re: What have you taught yourself to do through researching online
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »
Fixed my clothes dryer for $4.00 in parts, and my stove for $8.50 in parts.

Wouldn't have even attempted without easily available information online.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
More work related, but I taught myself machine and deep learning through researching and learning on my own online.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
I recently taught myself how to retire at age 41.  That was pretty sweet.

But before that?  I went to graduate school for seven years, and the vast majority of "learning" I did there was by reading papers online.  I'm not sure that "teaching yourself online" is so very different from the generic process of learning that people have been pursuing since approximately 1543.  Learning how to fix stuff on youtube is great and all, but it's just a dumbed down version of reading for knowledge, streamlined and spoon fed to people who don't want to crack open dusty old books.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
Diagnosed and fixed my running toilet.

Learned a few hundred facts about animals to satisfy my 4-year-old's boundless curiosity.

Built the front end of a web application (for work) with HTML/CSS/JS with no prior experience in any of those things, using only free information I found online (my coworker did the back-end development).

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 10:15:19 AM »
So far I have learned how to lay floor tile, put together and install cabinets, install a sink, tile counters and paint so it doesn't look like a 3 year old did it.

For fun, I learned how to crochet/knit, upped my baking game by learning how to make a crust that doesn't tear and right now I am learning about astronomy and how to use the new telescope I got for free.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »
@mizzourah2006 Do you have recommendations for online resources for machine learning and deep learning?

Taught myself how to knit.

Taught myself a bunch of advanced crochet techniques.

Taught myself almost everything I know about cooking (with the help of a few very good cookbooks as well), and I'm a fair cook at this point.

Taught myself everything I know about finances beyond "balance your checkbook." ;)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »

Taught myself almost everything I know about cooking (with the help of a few very good cookbooks as well), and I'm a fair cook at this point.

Taught myself everything I know about finances beyond "balance your checkbook." ;)

I also taught myself how to knit from online resources! Similarly, I've learned a lot of cooking and financial skills online.

I wish I were better at crochet. I learned as a child but can't do large projects. I always miscount stitches if they're not all visible on the needles.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
I wish I were better at crochet. I learned as a child but can't do large projects. I always miscount stitches if they're not all visible on the needles.

In the interests of learning online (and please feel free to shut us up, OP, in case this derails) -- do you know what your issue is in miscounting? It sounds like you have difficulty "seeing" the stitches -- is that it's hard to tell stitches apart in a sea of single crochets? Is it losing stitches at the edges? Something else? (Because I can definitely find you resources/chat over PMs if you're interested!)

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 11:46:14 AM »
I have a terrible ear for identifying notes and chords. Over the past several years I have learned hundreds of songs on guitar by finding the well-written and highly accurate tablature notation online.

I went really far toward learning web-development, then hit a brick wall on the more complicated JS stuff. It made me think maybe I should stick with my current career, haha.

I replaced the fan motor in my home's air conditioner by watching a YouTube video.

I learned how to replace the battery in car's wireless key-fob by watching a YouTube video. (And coincidentally, the video was posted by an old coworker of mine!)

I could go on and on and on and on. I probably learn how to do something new every week on the internet.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:47:46 AM by eljefe-speaks »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »

In the interests of learning online (and please feel free to shut us up, OP, in case this derails) -- do you know what your issue is in miscounting? It sounds like you have difficulty "seeing" the stitches -- is that it's hard to tell stitches apart in a sea of single crochets? Is it losing stitches at the edges? Something else? (Because I can definitely find you resources/chat over PMs if you're interested!)

It's pretty specific to the original chaining. If I do something wider than a scarf or dishcloth, I always, always lose count of how many stitches I've chained and have to restart several times before I give up and find a knitting pattern. Once I have the first row of actual stitches, I'm usually okay.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
Various home and car repairs (thanks, youtube!).

Deepened my yoga practice, hitting the mat every day now for free (thanks again, youtube!).

How to raise monarch butterflies, how to care for my crape myrtles, how to make naan, pad thai, and dozens of other recipes.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 12:23:11 PM »
It's pretty specific to the original chaining. If I do something wider than a scarf or dishcloth, I always, always lose count of how many stitches I've chained and have to restart several times before I give up and find a knitting pattern. Once I have the first row of actual stitches, I'm usually okay.

Ah, so an issue of counting the first set of chains? They are indeed squirrelly little things. I usually go back and count my chains at least once or twice after chaining more than like... 20. If looking for the "v" on the front is visually difficult, it might be easier to feel along the chain for the indentation between stitches and the corresponding bump on the back.

Also, if you're looking for bigger projects, maybe something made out of motifs, or something like a mile-a-minute afghan? For example, I loved making this diamond and pearls afghan, and I don't think you ever chain more than 50 for that pattern.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 12:57:43 PM »
@mizzourah2006 Do you have recommendations for online resources for machine learning and deep learning?

To start with I have a PhD in a quant based field, so I had a very strong math and statistics background. But Coursera has some good courses, Udemy also has some good ones. After that looking at Kaggle competition notebooks and people's githubs and then trying it on your own data is basically how I did it.

Here are a few courses I found extremely useful starting out, especially on the Python programming side.

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/machine-learning

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/deep-learning?utm_source=gg&utm_medium=sem&campaignid=904733485&adgroupid=46370300620&device=c&keyword=coursera%20deep%20learning%20ai&matchtype=b&network=g&devicemodel=&adpostion=1t1&creativeid=231631799246&hide_mobile_promo&gclid=CjwKCAjw3qDeBRBkEiwAsqeO7sg_9IUm_E_i5Ewk7Ci_X4lof5jSP_bEYuJQfO2lY0-TO30IzHW8UBoCx7YQAvD_BwE

https://www.udemy.com/python-for-data-science-and-machine-learning-bootcamp/

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »
Most importantly, I've learned how to retire before I turn 30.

More mundanely, I've been learning Japanese entirely with materials/programs I got for free online.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
At home:
- change sink faucet
- fix leaky faucet (different sink...actually, different house)
- install programmable thermostat
- change light fixtures
- change car battery
All pretty easy....but I'm not naturally handy so I tutorials have been huge.

At work:
- learn new software like Tableau, Python, etc. youtube clips are awesome for figuring out advanced cool shit you've never had to do before.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
To start with I have a PhD in a quant based field, so I had a very strong math and statistics background. But Coursera has some good courses, Udemy also has some good ones. After that looking at Kaggle competition notebooks and people's githubs and then trying it on your own data is basically how I did it.

Here are a few courses I found extremely useful starting out, especially on the Python programming side.

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/deep-learning?utm_source=gg&utm_medium=sem&campaignid=904733485&adgroupid=46370300620&device=c&keyword=coursera%20deep%20learning%20ai&matchtype=b&network=g&devicemodel=&adpostion=1t1&creativeid=231631799246&hide_mobile_promo&gclid=CjwKCAjw3qDeBRBkEiwAsqeO7sg_9IUm_E_i5Ewk7Ci_X4lof5jSP_bEYuJQfO2lY0-TO30IzHW8UBoCx7YQAvD_BwE

This is great, thank you! I have a PhD in the social sciences -- not computationally oriented but computationally adjacent -- and getting better at ML and some related things would be a boon for me career-wise.

ETA: I also taught myself how to jump a car battery from the internet. :)

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 01:29:00 PM »

This is great, thank you! I have a PhD in the social sciences -- not computationally oriented but computationally adjacent -- and getting better at ML and some related things would be a boon for me career-wise.

ETA: I also taught myself how to jump a car battery from the internet. :)

Yes, I have a PhD in social sciences as well (Industrial Psychology), but my focus for research was in measurement and measurement theory, so lots of stats, Structural Equation Modeling, etc. So you should have a similar base to me. The good thing about social sciences that are familiar with ML and DL as compared to traditional BA level computer scientists is our research based nature. I.e. not taking the results as the truth and thinking about potential 3rd variables that may be causing the results that we just failed to capture. I was working with a statistician in my old job that suggested to the business we close the Pharmacy or drastically reduce staff because sales were down drastically between the hours of 12-1. I asked her if there could be another reason for that? Turns out it was pharmacists largely being on lunch break and the pharmacy being temporary closed during that hour. I've just noticed social sciences think about data as representing something in the real world and statisticians largely see data as just data.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »

Ah, so an issue of counting the first set of chains? They are indeed squirrelly little things. I usually go back and count my chains at least once or twice after chaining more than like... 20. If looking for the "v" on the front is visually difficult, it might be easier to feel along the chain for the indentation between stitches and the corresponding bump on the back.

Also, if you're looking for bigger projects, maybe something made out of motifs, or something like a mile-a-minute afghan? For example, I loved making this diamond and pearls afghan, and I don't think you ever chain more than 50 for that pattern.

Ooh, pretty pattern! Thanks. I would definitely prefer to crochet (rather than knit) afghans. Probably using granny square or other motifs is my best option until I get a better sense for it.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 05:28:58 PM »
Build engines, build transmissions, weld, restore cars, restore motorcycles, gut and renovate a house, rewire a house, plumbing, structural load calcs for various types of wood and steel beams, deflection and load calcs, tile, rebuild pressure washer pumps... Just a few things that come to mind, there's plenty more. I outsource virtually nothing, only if the equipment/tool costs are truly beyond what is reasonable to reach ROI in my lifetime. Usually the tools for a job pay for themselves in one use.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 05:44:56 PM »

But before that?  I went to graduate school for seven years, and the vast majority of "learning" I did there was by reading papers online.  I'm not sure that "teaching yourself online" is so very different from the generic process of learning that people have been pursuing since approximately 1543.  Learning how to fix stuff on youtube is great and all, but it's just a dumbed down version of reading for knowledge, streamlined and spoon fed to people who don't want to crack open dusty old books.

That's crazy talk!    Youtube videos on car repairs - for example - are much better than the old Haynes manuals.   

It's the same thing with some of the online courses.   Stanford has a series on machine learning by Andrew Ng that is much more efficient than trying to glean the same information through textbooks.

The list goes on.    Some things are just easier to learn by video than by reading.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 05:57:06 PM »
  • I learnt to make a website so I can show people what I am doing on a house rebuild.
  • I have re-leant how to knit which I will get back to when (1) is completed.
  • I have learnt that the idea of retiring before 65 is not insane.
  • More than learning, I have gained the confidence to have a go at things - think repairs at home or on the car etc.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »
Speech therapy for my child’s difficulty with “vocalic R”

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
I'm not sure that "teaching yourself online" is so very different from the generic process of learning that people have been pursuing since approximately 1543.  Learning how to fix stuff on youtube is great and all, but it's just a dumbed down version of reading for knowledge, streamlined and spoon fed to people who don't want to crack open dusty old books.

I think that "teaching yourself online" is often actually closer to the generic process of learning that people pursued *before* 1543.  Before printing, people learned by watching other people do things, not by reading how to do it.  Youtube videos can be like standing alongside a master craftsman.  The efficient search capabilities of the internet (assuming the creators of the videos have labeled them well) can be like getting to ask a master craftsman a question.

And I would argue that it's not dumbed down, because video is a better medium than print for spatial and dynamic information.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 04:02:31 AM »
I’ve learned whole bunch of stuff online.

Technology: Linux, Apache, IIS, MySQL, PHP, JavaScript, TypeScript, Angular, HTML, CSS, C#, Selenium, and a lot of the things required to administer and deploy them. Learning this has helped me get my current job and move up the ranks their.

Automotive Repair: I learned how to clean, lubricate, and adjust the brakes on my car and how to change the transmission fluid by finding videos and forum posts for my particular car. That saves a lot of money compared to having the dealer or mechanic do it for you. If you have the right tools, it’s dead simple.

Personal Finance: Pretty much everything I know about loans, credit cards, and investing I have learned from blogs and this forum. This has probably been the most fruitful thing I have learned from the web. If I hadn’t gotten curious about where all my money was going and how to keep more of it, I’d probably still be sleepwalking through life, letting thousands of dollars slip through my fingers.

GeeVee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 04:38:57 AM »
I learned to drape and Indian saree (or tie a sari as they say in India).

I attended an wedding in India.  On arrival at my hotel in India, the wedding organizers indicated that it would be greatly appreciated if all the guests could wear traditional Indian attire.  I immediately went out and bought a saree in the first saree shop I encountered down the street. In the process I also officially opened the tailor shop for business (they made my saree blouse and underskirt). I even threw in an impromptu speech.

Youtube taught me how to tie and secure a saree. As such I made it to the wedding properly attired in a pink saree with glitter.

I recently heard that they are still talking in India about a foreign lady who quickly learned that skill.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »

That's crazy talk!    Youtube videos on car repairs - for example - are much better than the old Haynes manuals.   

It's the same thing with some of the online courses.   Stanford has a series on machine learning by Andrew Ng that is much more efficient than trying to glean the same information through textbooks.

The list goes on.    Some things are just easier to learn by video than by reading.

I agree.  Not to mention you can dial in on specific skills you are looking for in a very short period of time as opposed to going to your local library, hoping they have a book on what you are looking for, reading the entire book (or skimming through it) in hopes that the specific information you are looking for is in there in a way that is understandable etc etc etc.  Learning today is a million times easier and more efficient. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
I self-taught the tech skills that got my foot in the door in IT, which led me to the career I have today.  I've learned a fair amount of auto repair stuff as well.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »
Years ago I learned how to gut a trout.  More recently, I learned how to gut a rabbit.

I've fixed my washer, removed and replaced carbs on a v45 Magna, learned how to build a few things... I love youtube!

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
Some things I've learned online:
  • How to optimize financial independence and retire early, I knew the frugal part already.
  • Web programming (javascript, html and css) and how to make a blog
  • How to play and coach soccer
  • How to fix a car window switch
  • How to build a indoor bouldering wall
  • How to optimize lightweight backpacking gear
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:26:57 PM by CCCA »

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »
I learned pretty much all of my career skills online and labbing things up at home. People talk a lot of crap about the plague that is the internet, but I often think of how insane and wonderful it is that we live in a time where you can learn, practice and grow into the top 5% of income with nothing more than a computer and an internet connection.

The thread isn't big enough to list everything I've learned online in addition to jawb stuff, but a ton of outdoors skills, bike technique and other fitness training, loads of business stuff, meditation technique, fixing cars, building stuff, etc.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »
Basic bike maintenance, and how to rebuild an internal hub! Forgot about that one. :D

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
I think I would look up information online on a daily basis. My cat has recently been quite sick. I read enough vet research papers and articles online to ask for specific tests and information, and now the cat is stable - and the vet doesn't talk to me like I'm a lay person, you know? That's saved me a lot of money because I no longer have to bring the cat to check up appts. They trust that I understand the condition, know what to look for, and they'll give me the medication over the counter.

I used the net to teach myself Excel when I needed to up my game at work. Used it to teach myself to crochet when I was laid up on the couch with a dislocated knee. Taught myself thousands of recipes, along with things like how to fillet a fish and all that.

Got chickens, never having had to care for a bird before. I learned everything I know about chickens from online blogs and forums.

I'm in the cross over generation - the internet really came to the fore after I'd already been through university etc. Can't imagine life without it now, and I was there when we didn't have it!