Author Topic: What happened to Rockstar Finance?  (Read 9068 times)

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
What happened to Rockstar Finance?
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
I know it got sold, but it was still decent for a while.  Now its just garbage articles and they don't even update them every day.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: What happened to Rockstar Finance?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 05:54:37 AM »
It was sold to the ESI Money guy, but I think he also sold it again not too long ago.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »
I was wondering the same thing.  Totally worthless now.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »
Anyone know of any alternatives?

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:37:58 AM »
Came here to post this.  It used to be a great portal to see new FI content.  Are there any alternatives now that rockstar is junk?

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 07:47:27 AM »
Are there any alternatives now that rockstar is junk?

In response to the Rockstar Finance situation the Get Rich Slowly guy started something along those lines: https://apexmoney.com/. So did the Four Pillar Freedom guy: https://collectingwisdom.com/. I didn't use Rockstar, and I won't use either of these, so I can't speak to quality, but I enjoy reading some of the posts from the creator's own sites, so there's that.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
What happened to Rockstar Finance?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 07:48:44 AM »
Campfire finance has a good FI/RE Feed. J Money tried to contact the new owner but she is now ignoring all emails. I have no idea why ESI didn’t sell it to someone reputable.

https://www.campfirefinance.com/fire-feed/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:52:16 AM by Chippewa »

jdroth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »
With regards to Apex Money, I should point out that while we're curating links, we're not trying to be Rockstar Finance EXACTLY. Rockstar was very blog focused. And yes, we're pointing to blogs, but we're also trying to cast a wide net, and we'll include articles from mainstream media -- IF they're good. Our main goal (seriously) is to share the best articles we see every day. (Hey. I'm already reading this stuff anyhow. I might as well point other people to the stuff I like best.) Plus, we're trying to find video too...which is hard because we're old and don't watch a lot of video haha.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
With regards to Apex Money, I should point out that while we're curating links, we're not trying to be Rockstar Finance EXACTLY. Rockstar was very blog focused. And yes, we're pointing to blogs, but we're also trying to cast a wide net, and we'll include articles from mainstream media -- IF they're good. Our main goal (seriously) is to share the best articles we see every day. (Hey. I'm already reading this stuff anyhow. I might as well point other people to the stuff I like best.) Plus, we're trying to find video too...which is hard because we're old and don't watch a lot of video haha.

Yeah skip the videos.  You can't watch videos at work ;)  Plus, reading is quicker.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »
Came here to post this.  It used to be a great portal to see new FI content.  Are there any alternatives now that rockstar is junk?

There is a new-ish single stock website www.WealthyJoeInvesting.com

I also like Dough Roller and Choose FI, but mostly for their podcasts.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »

Hey JD, thanks for providing this. I have been poking around and every article I have read so far has been terrific. Great work!

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 08:14:35 AM »
Seconded! I enjoy picking through a list of curated articles, thanks for taking up the task.

I found it odd that RSF went off the rails, it seemed like such a good model. And one that you could have a staff of folks doing for you if you wanted to take a break. Why let it lapse?

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 09:25:11 AM »
Are there any articles about Rockstars fall or comments from J or the new owner? Seems totally insane to nuke a website like that. We know enough from personal finance site disclosures they are real money makers. I wonder what the original owner thinks about their legacy being destroyed