Author Topic: What do you do in your spare time?  (Read 5230 times)

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What do you do in your spare time?
« on: December 29, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
I have a lot of free time. A LOT. I work 40 hours a week plus commute time, keep a clean house, relax a lot, read, cook, keep my resume/portfolio up to date, and have a few inexpensive hobbies. I do like to go out and do cheap or free things... but I’ve kind of done everything in my area.

I find myself wasting a lot of time. I don’t really watch tv and I don’t have home internet to waste time on. I’m starting to consider getting a part time job or trying to start a side business of some sort.

What do you guys do in your spare time?

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What do you do in your spare time?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:08:43 PM »
Lucky for you! I don't have a ton between the jawb, side gig and kids. When I have time it's mountain biking, snowboarding, gym and reading.

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
Lucky for you! I don't have a ton between the jawb, side gig and kids. When I have time it's mountain biking, snowboarding, gym and reading.

I don’t have kids so I have more free time than parents do. :)

What’s your side gig? I’m thinking that’s what I should do... find more income.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »
I get antsy when I have too much free time. Not because I don’t enjoy it, but time wasted to me is money wasted, since I’m still in the accrual stage. Hence, I’ve been working a full-time and part-time job for the last five years. At one point I considered getting a third job, but I didn’t want to be miserable. I was lucky though, and recently I was able to arrange my schedule so that I still get enough free time. Working my full job 4 days/ week versus 5, and working from home, this saving time on morning prep and commute, really goes a long way in giving me some downtime. I couldn’t maximize my time much better.

As for what I do in my spare time, I like to hike with my hiking group, clean/organize at the house since now I have one day off per week. I’ll be painting and redecorating my room. Working in the garden, visiting nearby family, spending time with pets. I would say reading but I don’t have the patience for it anymore. I listen to audiobooks while working and it kind of ruined reading for me. I also like to plot and plan my future.

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 11:34:45 PM »
I work 40 hrs week but otherwise

1. Cycle 5-10 hrs week
2. Surf the internet (need to reduce online hrs)
3. Eat out
4. Bible Study
5. Hike
6. Church
7. Hang out with friends

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 03:08:21 AM »
I do several things:
1. Teach as a college adjunct
2. Walk marathons/ half marathons
3. Do life coaching
4 Volunteer at a Tiger Rescue
5. Volunteer at Dress for Success
6. Tend our big veggie garden

My kids walk with me, garden w/me and do some volunteering w/ me so it's bonus family time too.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »

Same thing as my day job, but on a short term contract basis through consulting companies. My day job allows for this explicitly in their HR docs as long as there is no conflict of interest.

Definitely there are tons of creative ways to come up with more income. But also don't take on too much, having lots of free time is AWESOME!

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
I do several things:
1. Teach as a college adjunct
2. Walk marathons/ half marathons
3. Do life coaching
4 Volunteer at a Tiger Rescue
5. Volunteer at Dress for Success
6. Tend our big veggie garden

My kids walk with me, garden w/me and do some volunteering w/ me so it's bonus family time too.

Oh, you do a lot that I would like! How did you get on as adjunct? I could do that... I have a Masters.

Also, I really like the volunteering. I think I’ll look into that as well. Great ideas!

Same thing as my day job, but on a short term contract basis through consulting companies. My day job allows for this explicitly in their HR docs as long as there is no conflict of interest.

Definitely there are tons of creative ways to come up with more income. But also don't take on too much, having lots of free time is AWESOME!

Ah ok. I can’t decide if I should just get an easy part time job, start up something, or (ugh) freelance. I’ve had a bad experience so I’m not into it all that much.

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 06:49:07 PM »
I also like to plot and plan my future.

Haha. I do that as well. I also spend time scrutinizing my spending, budget, and policies for better rates.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 08:15:36 PM »
I got a dog:) If your more of a homebody, this might be a good option.

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:31:15 AM »
I got a dog:) If your more of a homebody, this might be a good option.

Thanks for the suggestion but... Hell no! Not after what I went through with my last dog. ::ugly cries profusely::

Also, dogs are expensive so I probably won’t get one again. I’m a cat person now. Costs about $25 a month and we have had 1 emergency vet visit in 15 years. After his neuter, he has never had a high cost month (except for the one emergency room visit). My dog had to go to the vet all the time for everything.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 08:21:51 PM »

zenyata

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 10:42:48 AM »
One thing I took up relatively recently (5 years ago) is learning to play the guitar.  I love music but it's not something I necessarily feel I have an innate talent for so it has been similar to continuously pushing that proverbial rock up the proverbial hill.  It is a very effective consumer of time in what I regard to be a constructive manner and I'm often very surprised by just how much time has gone by each time I practice.  If I had the stamina for it I could easily see it taking up a significant amount of my free time.  It has been a wonderful (and at times frustrating) addition of a hobby somewhat outside of the realm of other pursuits of mine (which tended to be more physical / sports related).

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
Its seasonal for me, in the winter time I like to mess around on the computer more often - video games, mining/trading/researching crypto-currency. In the summer I focus my effort on the garden, and in turn the fall become food canning/preservation time when I smoke the year's meat harvest as well. All the while I try to think of projects that I'm motivated to complete from auto repair to fixing broken items around the house.

Any idle time I have left is strictly regulated and taken up entirely by my cat, who wants me to play with the toy.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »
I like to sew/craft, take online courses, watch documentaries, experiment with cooking new foods and canning new things. I am also a volunteer: I help out members of our union with filing their taxes. In this country, tax season is March and April. In January and February I take a class in the evenings to keep my income tax knowledge up to date. I always spend some extra time reading up on the details outside of class and homework,  because we need to pass a test to be allowed to volunteer that season.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
One thing I took up relatively recently (5 years ago) is learning to play the guitar.
I might have to get back into guitar.  I get really bored sitting inside on these long, cold winter nights.  They seemed less boring when I was drinking all the time ;).

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
FT job, hubby and kids, not a lot of free time.

Back in the day...

- Got my master's degree at night
- Worked out every day (sometimes 2x a day)
- Played a lot of volleyball (usually in 2 different leagues at a time, if not 3, and also weekend tournaments)
- Read a lot of books

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »
Search the MMM Forums for duplicate(ish) threads.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what-do-you-do-on-the-weekends/

Thanks but wasn’t really looking for things to do on the weekend. Was looking to see what people do in their free time. Like wasted lunch breaks and after work for example.

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 09:44:37 PM »
Read
Ski/snowshoe/bike/hike/swim
Home improvement projects
Kill plants (seriously--dead mint, dead strawberries, dead zucchini...I should probably just give up on the whole garden thing)
Tutor
Variety of 3D crafts, tends to vary through the year

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 03:05:50 AM »
Walk even when its cold
Workout
Cook
Play candy crush! haha