Author Topic: What did you pay for gas this week?  (Read 57799 times)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Re: What did you pay for gas this week?
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »
I see $2.059/gal around 2 miles from where I work, on the way to the gym.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
I see $2.059/gal around 2 miles from where I work, on the way to the gym.

Sweet!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »
And the amazing drop continues.  I went to bed, got up, and bamm, gas is cheaper again!

Drove by several stations with $2.19 posted meaning I pay $2.15 with my 5 cent discount card.

Damn if it didn't happen two nights in a row!  Went to bed last night, got up this morning and paid 2.06 for my gas with my 5 cent discount.  Crap that was a 9 cent drop last night.

FIence!

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2014, 09:10:34 AM »
$2.18/gal yesterday in MI.

ETA: I have just been informed it is 2.13 today at the same station.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:12:54 AM by FIence! »

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »
It's official, saw $1.999 just now.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
.          Awesome!  Didn't know they could go 3 decimals?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »
.          Awesome!  Didn't know they could go 3 decimals?

Gas prices are typically three decimals. They just tack on a "9/10" at the end in a small font.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:21 PM »
It really should be 9/1000th, given its denoted in dollars (e.g. it should be $1.99 and 9/1000 to equal 1.999, but they post it as $1.99 and 9/10, which should = $2.89).

It's like when stores post a price as .99 cents (cents symbol) - you want to hand them a penny and tell them to keep the change, but they don't understand math/decimals.

Also see:
http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/2006/12/verizon-doesnt-know-dollars-from-cents.html?m=1

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9LZ3ojnxY
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2014, 05:43:20 AM »
I paid $0.889/litre last night.  I never thought I would see gas under $1.00/l again, and now it is below $0.90.  And that is as the Canadian $ goes down. 

It is hard on Alberta, but maybe it will help the more industrial provinces (i.e. Ontario) that have been hit hard by high energy costs.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2014, 08:18:28 AM »

Funny sign for you bikers.  Basically wrong though,  as it now costs me more in calories per mile to ride a bike than it cost in fuel to drive car.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2014, 08:28:17 AM »

Funny sign for you bikers.  Basically wrong though,  as it now costs me more in calories per mile to ride a bike than it cost in fuel to drive car.

But it saves you more in health care costs, gym fees, etc.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
Jeez, I was in love with $2.45 yesterday. You guys suck. :-P

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »
I respect those who chose to ride a bike but in my investigation it is neither cheaper, safer or more efficient than driving your old used fuel efficient car.  YMMV especially in small towns and cities conducive to biking.   

Not to derail the thread to biking but I did note the following from bike universe --

Health benefits of cycling outweigh the risks?  Various studies from Europe, where the roads are much safer than in the U.S., show that the health benefits of cycling add years to life on average, even after accounting for the increased risk of dying on the road.  U.S. cycling advocates like to quote these studies without ever bothering to mention (or perhaps even noticing) that the analyses were done on completely different populations.  As I write this (in 2013), I know of no study in the U.S. that comes to the same conclusion — and it's doubtful that one could, since cycling in the U.S. is 3-10x more dangerous than driving.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
$1.99 at the Meijer in Lafayette, IN.  Less than $15 to fill up as I passed through!  (That's the cheapest spot for gas anywhere between Chicago suburbs and rural Ohio if anyone else happens to be going between those areas.)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »

I respect those who chose to ride a bike but in my investigation it is neither cheaper, safer or more efficient than driving your old used fuel efficient car.  YMMV especially in small towns and cities conducive to biking.   

Not to derail the thread to biking but I did note the following from bike universe --

Health benefits of cycling outweigh the risks?  Various studies from Europe, where the roads are much safer than in the U.S., show that the health benefits of cycling add years to life on average, even after accounting for the increased risk of dying on the road.  U.S. cycling advocates like to quote these studies without ever bothering to mention (or perhaps even noticing) that the analyses were done on completely different populations.  As I write this (in 2013), I know of no study in the U.S. that comes to the same conclusion — and it's doubtful that one could, since cycling in the U.S. is 3-10x more dangerous than driving.

That just means there's room for improvement to make cycling in the U.S. safer :)

Filled up my new (to me) car yesterday, fuel was 119.9 cents a litre for regular unleaded (here the price is always shown as cents, no fractions). Filled up the tank for $46 from the light being on. It's probably been over ten years since I paid under $50 for a tank! Advantage of a little 1.4L hatchback. :)

Last time I owned a car (a year ago), I was filling up with high-octane premium at about ~155cpl, and a tank was about $80-85.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »
$1.999/gal cash price in MI.  I think cc price was $2.179

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2014, 07:53:49 AM »
$2.18/gal here at the warehouse store in NJ.  With my 3% cashback on my credit card, that works out to about $2.12/gal.  Not too shabby.  I only have to fill up every three weeks or so.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
Hit $1.93 in Springfield mo yesterday!

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »
NW of Baltimore, $2.49, and that's typically much cheaper than NW of DC

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »
Paid $1.95 in Oklahoma (No discounts).

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
It was $2.35 per gallon in Abington, MA.  However, due to gas points through the grocery store I paid $0.159 a gallon.  I got 35 gallons for under $6.  Yeah!!  That should last me about a month.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »

MustachianMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • MustachianMD
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »
Have not had to pay for gas this week, but right now the current price around town is 1.99.

OutBy40

• Stubble
    • ThinkSaveRetire.com
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »
$1.99 here as well now.

Which sucks, cause that means even more people are out on the roadways, txting and basically making the entire process of driving more dangerous.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2014, 08:28:47 AM »
I'm thinking that most people drive more when prices are low -- buy more SUVs -- buy houses further from work. 

Still $1.99 for me in Central Missouri -- noted the cheapest nationwide is $1.74 in Oklahoma.   

Reportedly crude oil bumped up today based on the Asian markets rebounding.    We may have just seen the bottom of gas prices.  Take pictures of those gas price signs.  They may be a happy memory come July. 

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
Paid $1.79 on Friday. I was shocked, I hadn't filled that pickup since early last month and it was far higher then.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
I didn't pay anything as I don't have (or need) a car, but noticed yesterday that gas at the station I often walk past was 1.53 chf/l. That's about 5.9 $/gallon. Pretty cheap by local standards but still I think math is very much in favour of cycling or public transport.

I pay about 800 $/year for my commuting to work (excluding any weekend use of my public transport pass). A colleague who lives ca 15 km farther than me and is driving estimated his costs at around 7,000 $/year. That's when gas was 7.5 $/gallon, the difference would be a bit less now.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2014, 09:10:26 AM »
Paid $1.79 on Friday. I was shocked, I hadn't filled that pickup since early last month and it was far higher then.

That is cool!  Take a picture of that sign for a pleasant memory. 

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2014, 09:36:37 AM »

To know how your area is doing re: gas prices, go to: USA National Gas Price Heat Map;

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
$1.99 here as well now.

Which sucks, cause that means even more people are out on the roadways, txting and basically making the entire process of driving more dangerous.

Do you really believe that people look at gas prices and say "Yay!!  Now I can drive my SUV in circles aimlessly because gas is cheaper!!"? 

I'm sure there is some change but it can't be that substantial, can it?  Any smart people care to save me the google time and point me to studies that show an increase in miles driven that correlates to gas price changes.

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
Paid $1.99/gallon for premium at Costco on Friday, with regular priced at $1.75. Haven't looked at non-Costco stations but I'd imagine they're close.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »
Just filled up for $2.519 93 octane this morning, but regular is back down to $1.999 here.  :-)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
$1.99 here as well now.

Do you really believe that people look at gas prices and say "Yay!!  Now I can drive my SUV in circles aimlessly because gas is cheaper!!"? 

I'm sure there is some change but it can't be that substantial, can it?  Any smart people care to save me the google time and point me to studies that show an increase in miles driven that correlates to gas price changes.

This --

Gasoline prices at five-year lows are prompting an estimated four million more Americans to hit the road this holiday season.

AAA estimates 98.6 million Americans, four million more than last year, will travel 50 miles or more between Christmas and New Year’s Day.

Read more: Lower gasoline prices have more drivers on the road - MRT.com: Business http://www.mrt.com/business/article_5dfa9fee-87a6-11e4-871d-fb08deac0891.html#ixzz3MemA3V7p
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Or this --
What they want are big, expensive models like the Cadillac Escalade, which surged 91 percent last month, and the Lincoln Navigator, up 88 percent. They have less interest in small, economy cars, such as the Ford Fiesta, off 26 percent last month, and hybrids like the Toyota Prius, down 14 percent.

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/automakers-sales-increase-as-gasoline-gas-prices-drop-suv-1.9680230

I know it has impacted my thinking substantially.   For example,  In June the cost for me to drive to the closest large city was $30 round trip.  That same trip is now $18.    So would I make the trip  a few more times per year based on that information.  Yep, I would.   In fact,  I find that, as compared to July, that I don't put much thought into limiting driving due to gas prices. 

The cost to fill my tank has gone from $65 to $40.    I don't find that $40 is cheap but on a relativity scale it is much cheaper.   I'm old enough to remember 19 cents per gallon gas. 

One would assume that optimism over gas prices will seep into most all our purchasing and lifestyle decisions.   Business owners are happier,  commuter drivers are happier,  school administrators just shaved a ton off their transportation budgets,  travelers are happier.   People in the oil business may not be happier.   

Most people are not frugal,  so the $100 per month the average family is saving is gas goes right into spending on other consumer goods or at least to pay down debts.   So that ripple effect will spread over the next business quarter. 

Terrible for global climate change but great for the economy!   

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2014, 01:48:36 PM »
For the first time ever, I have tracked every penny spent for the entire year. My gas for the year came out to $973 I asked my brother what his was (he has a giant Tahoe) and spent over $5,300

tracylayton

« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
$1.87 today in North Texas.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »
For the first time ever, I have tracked every penny spent for the entire year. My gas for the year came out to $973 I asked my brother what his was (he has a giant Tahoe) and spent over $5,300

Same mother and father?  lol

thanks for that insight.    I guestimate mine at around $3,000 for last year in my 1999 Mountaineer.  ouch.  The good side is that it is liability only and depreciates at around $500 per year.  And I anticipate driving half as much this year due to working from home more.   So potentially my gas cost assuming $2.25 per gallon (currently $1.97 here) could be as low as $850.    Looking at that $3,000 really hurts though.  Time to look for that $4,000 Camry that gets 30MPG.   At that rate I could be sub $500 for the year. 

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
Filled up yesterday for $2.65 cash price.  The cheapest I've seen in my neck of the woods.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2014, 06:17:43 AM »
We pay a premium in the mountains, and prices are very inconsistent.  Driving in to work this am (9 miles) I saw two Shell stations one at $2.89 (near a tourist intersection) and one at $2.64, a grocery chain at $2.59 and an independent Hess station at $2.47!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2014, 06:20:51 AM »
Interesting.. I recently read that gas demand is relatively  inelastic

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=19191

It really should be 9/1000th, given its denoted in dollars (e.g. it should be $1.99 and 9/1000 to equal 1.999, but they post it as $1.99 and 9/10, which should = $2.89).

It's like when stores post a price as .99 cents (cents symbol) - you want to hand them a penny and tell them to keep the change, but they don't understand math/decimals.

Also see:
http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/2006/12/verizon-doesnt-know-dollars-from-cents.html?m=1

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9LZ3ojnxY

I don't know... I think a valid interpretation of say 1.239/10 is:

The 1's place has a 1
The 1/10's place has a 2
The 1/100's place has a 3 and 9/10

So the price is 1*10^0 + 2*10^-1 + (3+9/10)*10^-2 = 1.239

edit: to be clear, I agree the notation is misleading, and should just read 1.239.  In fact, if they really wanted to get crafty, they could make it 1.239(repeating) which is actually equal to 1.24, just looks lower.

I have no idea what gas costs.  I go to the station and put in my card and fill up.

I'm not going to drive more if it's cheaper, or less if it's more expensive.  I'll drive when I need to drive, and I'll pay what that costs.

I'm mostly with you. Except I'm at least aware it's running between two and three dollars a gallon. So you're saying that if the station owner saw you coming they could raise your pump price to $14.95/gal and get away with it? ;)

Or like those Orlando airport stations that charge $6/gal just in case nobody is looking (or don't care since they are traveling on business):

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-08-29/business/os-airport-gas-wawa-20130828_1_airport-gas-suncoast-energys-larry-nieves
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:29:47 AM by dragoncar »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2014, 06:47:37 AM »
It's down to 2.23 in my area. I will have to fill up tomorrow so I hope it drops just a little more. The lowest in my state is 1.97, but that isn't close.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2014, 07:41:39 AM »
they could make it 1.239(repeating) which is actually equal to 1.24, just looks lower.

This proof always makes me mad. I understand logically why they are equal, but every time I still think it should be wrong.

I'm sure you are right that it isn't substantial, but yes, I really do believe -some- people look at the low gas prices and say almost exactly that.  In high school when gas was right around $1 a gallon, we would often just drive when we got together to hang out. Could easily do 100 miles on a weekday, driving around the Texas Hill country just listening to music and talking. I had a small car, but other friends had trucks or Jeeps- it made no difference, the gas was negligible.  At $4 a gallon, no freaking way people are driving without thinking about it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »
I don't know... I think a valid interpretation of say 1.239/10 is:

The 1's place has a 1
The 1/10's place has a 2
The 1/100's place has a 3 and 9/10

So the price is 1*10^0 + 2*10^-1 + (3+9/10)*10^-2 = 1.239

Your notation looks like 1.23 raised to the 9/10th, which is 1.204799

edit: to be clear, I agree the notation is misleading, and should just read 1.239.  In fact, if they really wanted to get crafty, they could make it 1.239(repeating) which is actually equal to 1.24, just looks lower.

Agreed. 

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2014, 03:37:51 PM »
Question is why it's not lower since oil prices have been so low? And is it time to rake in some oil stocks?

Its low because of fracking. We have more oil than the Middle East. As soon as this country wakes up and fracks for real....our economy will be gangbusters. Look at the local economies of states that frack vs. states that don't. WAKE UP NEW YORK

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
Fracking's fine as long as you don't need to drink the water.

$2.189 here.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
2.799 today. On the weekend I saw 2.59, but it's well out of my way.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2014, 06:14:54 PM »
Question is why it's not lower since oil prices have been so low? And is it time to rake in some oil stocks?

Its low because of fracking. We have more oil than the Middle East. As soon as this country wakes up and fracks for real....our economy will be gangbusters. Look at the local economies of states that frack vs. states that don't. WAKE UP NEW YORK

I'm glad NY banned fracking. Yes, it gives a short-term economic boon, but that is at the cost of long-term damage to the environment and liveability in the area. Leave the world better off than you found it should be goal number one. Just look at West Virginia and how messed up it is from the coal mining.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »

that is NUTS. DH and I spent maybe $700 and that's a high estimate. It will be lower next year, since we got rid of one of the cars last month.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »

that is NUTS. DH and I spent maybe $700 and that's a high estimate. It will be lower next year, since we got rid of one of the cars last month.
My husband has an hr commute and his cost for gas is about $5200/annually.  But given it was the closest job, that allowed me to finished my PhD we deal.  Next jobs we will look for closer areas. 

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »
My wife and I both paid 1.69 at two different stations (Costco and Western Fuel) in Fort Collins, CO two days ago.  We paid $22 and $21 each to fill up.  I looked back to July and it cost us $45-$50 per tank then.  That's a nice difference!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »
You are sort of right that gas prices are low because of fracking, but not the way you think.  OPEC is refusing to constrain supplies as demand has fallen because they are in a price war with the US and other oil suppliers.  It is always cheaper to pump oil out the ground than to frack it, and the OPEC countries have enough of a cushion to sell oil at a very low cost for awhile, even compared to the other "pumpers".  They are trying to eliminate other suppliers.   Russia and Venezuela are really hurting because they are taking a loss, but OPEC can afford it for awhile.