Author Topic: What comes after the ACA?  (Read 1916351 times)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What comes after the ACA?
« Reply #2100 on: May 04, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
Apparently some of the republicans were chanting "na na na hey hey goodbye" on the floor? Really disgusting. But man will that make an easy campaign add for the dems.
Actually, I think it was the Dems. No decorum on either side of the aisle anymore.
The process before and during the vote was contentious. After the vote, Democratic representatives chanted, "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye," apparently suggesting to their Republican counterparts that their votes would cost them control of the chamber.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ahca-vote-count-passes-trump-paul-ryan-2017-5

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2101 on: May 04, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »
Apparently some of the republicans were chanting "na na na hey hey goodbye" on the floor? Really disgusting. But man will that make an easy campaign add for the dems.
Actually, I think it was the Dems. No decorum on either side of the aisle anymore. http://www.businessinsider.com/ahca-vote-count-passes-trump-paul-ryan-2017-5

I stand corrected. I think this bill is a catastrophic disaster, but also agree that it's totally inappropriate behavior by the dems. I wish I could say politicians used to be more dignified, but sadly I've read too much history and know this is only par for the course.

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #2102 on: May 04, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »
I think it gets through the Senate and eventually approved.  Repubs always tow the party line no matter how much noise they make before the vote.  The only upside is the end of uncertainty so contingency plans can be put into action.  I have been basically frozen waiting to see what happens with this issue.

I feel the same way, as disheartening as this vote is. I can only hope the Senate makes this more palatable.

I'm sure they'll sprinkle some glitter on this turd of a bill and then start gaslighting the hell out of everyone with assurances that regardless of what independent think tanks say, this is what's best for America. Right now, polls suggest that's is a pretty damn risky gambit, but it's worked for them many times before, so we'll see.

OK, let's go with this scenario.  What happens when what is predicted actually happens?  Shirley, reality will set it at some point.  Tens of millions of people should experience at the very least mild hardship as a result, right?  The margin of victory, balance of power in Congress as well as in the White House is much much much slimmer than that.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2103 on: May 04, 2017, 01:16:38 PM »
Actually, I think it was the Dems. No decorum on either side of the aisle anymore. http://www.businessinsider.com/ahca-vote-count-passes-trump-paul-ryan-2017-5

I stand corrected. I think this bill is a catastrophic disaster, but also agree that it's totally inappropriate behavior by the dems. I wish I could say politicians used to be more dignified, but sadly I've read too much history and know this is only par for the course.

That just fricking turns my stomach -- as a Democrat.  Think it?  Sure.  Sing it quietly in your head?  Sure.  But trot it out there and make a spectacle of it?  GD juvenile.  This is not the damn Cotton Bowl.  This isn't a sporting event.  I want to know who it was so I can contact their offices and tell them to get their shit together for 2018.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #2104 on: May 04, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/hey-hey-goodbye
"This is both an homage and a literal repetition of what Republicans did when the Clinton tax bill passed in the House in 1993. Same singing, same song. The bill paved the way for budget balancing over the course of the decade and (more arguably) played a role in creating the prosperity of that decade. It also came little more than a year before Democratic majorities in both Houses were annihilated in the 1994 midterm."

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2105 on: May 04, 2017, 01:21:02 PM »
I think it gets through the Senate and eventually approved.  Repubs always tow the party line no matter how much noise they make before the vote.  The only upside is the end of uncertainty so contingency plans can be put into action.  I have been basically frozen waiting to see what happens with this issue.

I feel the same way, as disheartening as this vote is. I can only hope the Senate makes this more palatable.

I'm sure they'll sprinkle some glitter on this turd of a bill and then start gaslighting the hell out of everyone with assurances that regardless of what independent think tanks say, this is what's best for America. Right now, polls suggest that's is a pretty damn risky gambit, but it's worked for them many times before, so we'll see.

OK, let's go with this scenario.  What happens when what is predicted actually happens?  Shirley, reality will set it at some point.  Tens of millions of people should experience at the very least mild hardship as a result, right?  The margin of victory, balance of power in Congress as well as in the White House is much much much slimmer than that.
We all know what happens, they blame Obama and Repubs gain more seats.  You can't fix stupid.

TheBeeKeeper

• Stubble
« Reply #2106 on: May 04, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
regardless of this ugly uncertainty,
even with the ACA I'm not sure how we could pull the plug on our day jobs considering the monthly premium + cost of care
Currently the employer based cost is 1,200$/mo for family, employer pays about 2/3, and deductible/out of pocket are pretty minimal (large employer, great health plan)
As self-employed/FIRED,  for this price we would get the very basic plan + deductible would be thousands of $$

We are all very healthy, but with an active family someone always gets hurt, the kids need to see a Dr. every now and then, the adults see more Drs. as getting older (eye Dr for new prescription just for starters) . The amount the insurance paid for a simple ER visit for say a sprained wrist is unbelievable.

I roughly calculated we would need about 20K/year for some kind of insurance + deductibles, which means extra 500K$ stash, and about 5 more years of work on top of what we had planned,  and that is if we stay on path and not have major setbacks, like somebody getting terribly ill.
This sucks big time, and if current administration get their way , we may not be able to get any insurance at all without a day job
Need a way to stay rich and healthy and not sick and poor

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2107 on: May 04, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
Don't think republicans loose either, but will have a narrower gerrymandered majority...

The only way to loose your seat now is to be out republicaned or out democrated in the house...the more childish the behavior the better

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #2108 on: May 04, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »

NY is one vote short of having all the votes needed for S4840.  If passes,
 maybe we all move to NY.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/s4840/amendment/original

"PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL :

This bill would create a universal single payer health plan - New York
Health - to provide comprehensive health coverage for all New Yorkers."

http://www.indivisibleny19.com/2017/support-ny-health-act/
"New York continues to be a bulwark against the Trump Administration. We are now one vote shy of passing single payer healthcare in NY state!

The NY Health Act has already passed Assembly. It now needs only one vote to pass the NY State Senate. That one vote will have to be a Republican because all the other Senators have signed on. "

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2109 on: May 04, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »

maybe we all move to NY.

"New York continues to be a bulwark against the Trump Administration. We are now one vote shy of passing single payer healthcare in NY state!

The NY Health Act has already passed Assembly. It now needs only one vote to pass the NY State Senate. That one vote will have to be a Republican because all the other Senators have signed on. "

Interesting. California has something similar in the works, though the road ahead is much longer on that front. Lots of skepticism from both sides of the aisle here, but as I understand it, the plan proposal is still under development.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2110 on: May 04, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
Assuming things get worse before they get better, maybe this will lead to support for a public option.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #2111 on: May 04, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
Assuming things get worse before they get better, maybe this will lead to support for a public option.

Hear, hear.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #2112 on: May 04, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »

maybe we all move to NY.

Interesting. California has something similar in the works, though the road ahead is much longer on that front. Lots of skepticism from both sides of the aisle here, but as I understand it, the plan proposal is still under development.

Yes, I try to follow the developments of SB 562 as well.

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #2113 on: May 04, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »

maybe we all move to NY.

I'm already here.  Ya'll are welcome to come by ;)    I'm honestly not familiar with S4840 because it's not getting much press here at all.  I'd assume that's because it's not likely to make waves until we see what happens at the federal level.  Say the feds move forward on this crazy "replace"  (more like repeal and set on fire) plan.  NY loses billions in Medicaid funds that will have to be replaced somehow. 

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #2114 on: May 04, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »

NY ...

I'm already here.  Ya'll are welcome to come by ;)    I'm honestly not familiar with S4840 because it's not getting much press here at all.  I'd assume that's because it's not likely to make waves until we see what happens at the federal level.  Say the feds move forward on this crazy "replace"  (more like repeal and set on fire) plan.  NY loses billions in Medicaid funds that will have to be replaced somehow.

At least you are in a blue state that makes more money than many countries... NY will find the money. I'm in a red state and I'm sure if this dumpster fire of a bill passes, gov Walker will jump on pre-existing conditions exemptions the very next day. Sucks.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2115 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »
Okay, let's assume the Senate does not pass the House bill as is.  Exactly what can they change?  The best case scenario would be that the Senate and House cannot agree, therefore the ACA stands.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #2116 on: May 04, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »

maybe we all move to NY.

Damn everyone call and get this passed!  Worst case, guess I can move to NY (single, no kids), it's not too bad there and costs are lowish once you get of NYC area. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2117 on: May 04, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »

maybe we all move to NY.

Damn everyone call and get this passed!  Worst case, guess I can move to NY (single, no kids), it's not too bad there and costs are lowish once you get of NYC area.

And the winters are lovely I hear.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2118 on: May 04, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »
Okay, let's assume the Senate does not pass the House bill as is. 
They can put amendments on that say almost anything.  For example, they could take the Upton amendment (that which provides $8B over 5 years for high-risk pools) and introduce their own amendment that will provide $20B a year over the next ten years.  They could make an amendment limiting the ability for states to use their waivers to 'opt-out'.

Most of the Senate GOP members are moderates, with the exception of Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Mike Lee, who both are closer to the Freedom caucus.  So if it moves too much further to the center, all three may reject it.  If it doesn't move at all to the center there's a long list of senators that will have trouble supporting it.

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #2119 on: May 04, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »

Hahaha, yeah, our winters can be miserable.  Shoulder seasons can be stunningly beautiful, though, and the summers (if not rainy) are quite nice as well.  Cost of living north of Albany is actually quite low.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2120 on: May 04, 2017, 02:34:33 PM »
This made my choice clear and now I can put the FIRE plan into action without any hesitation: moving to Europe.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #2121 on: May 04, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »
I was paying $200/mo for rent in Troy back in 2003. Cheapest rent I've ever paid!  It has a walkable downtown/waterfront, too.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #2122 on: May 04, 2017, 02:37:41 PM »

Hahaha.  Winters where I live are just as bad.  Ideally CA passes SB562 and I move there, already have lot of family there and the hiking/camping are phenomonal there too. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2124 on: May 04, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
This made my choice clear and now I can put the FIRE plan into action without any hesitation: moving to Europe.

I've been meaning to ask these questions to the MMM crowd for a while... not sure if it justifies a separate thread....

But what are some good options for FIRE'ing abroad in a (hopefully) first-world country?

Assuming you can prove having on-the-order of a million USD in assets,

Which countries:

0. are essentially first-world where the police come when you call, you don't have to constantly worry about being assaulted/robbed, etc?
1. will let you stay (essentially) indefinitely if you want? 
2. will let you have access to their health care system?
3. will allow you to work with minimal hoops to jump through (possibly contractor/side-gig work)?
4. have a low enough cost of living where-by you can comfortably FIRE on a million USD?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2125 on: May 04, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »

I've been meaning to ask these questions to the MMM crowd for a while... not sure if it justifies a separate thread....

But what are some good options for FIRE'ing abroad in a (hopefully) first-world country?
Yes, that deserves its entirely own thread.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2126 on: May 04, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »

Yes, that deserves its entirely own thread.
There were a number of discussions on this topic recently.  Here is one:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/us-citizens-planning-on-retiring-in-europe/

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2127 on: May 04, 2017, 03:00:20 PM »
Canada.  It's not far for those of us who have family in the US, and it has good healthcare.  Also the exchange rate is favorable for Americans.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2128 on: May 04, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »
Canada.  It's not far for those of us who have family in the US, and it has good healthcare.  Also the exchange rate is favorable for Americans.
"good" healthcare depends both on which province you live in and what your definition of "good" is.

There are some things I like about provincial health care, and some things I absolutely hate.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2129 on: May 04, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »

NY ...

At least you are in a blue state that makes more money than many countries... NY will find the money. I'm in a red state and I'm sure if this dumpster fire of a bill passes, gov Walker will jump on pre-existing conditions exemptions the very next day. Sucks.
Amen brother.  Got into a heated discussion with a co-worker that loves Walker and all things Republican.  He was just bitching this morning about insurance but could not see how worse off his family would be with their multiple significant pre existing condition if this bill passes.  He thought high risk pools were a great idea but wasn't really understanding how they would work.  I just shake my head and wonder what it would take to convince my SO to move at retirement

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2130 on: May 04, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
Amen brother.  Got into a heated discussion with a co-worker that loves Walker and all things Republican.  He was just bitching this morning about insurance but could not see how worse off his family would be with their multiple significant pre existing condition if this bill passes.  He thought high risk pools were a great idea but wasn't really understanding how they would work.  I just shake my head and wonder what it would take to convince my SO to move at retirement

Those who don't remember history....

Your co-worker will get a serious awakening if TrumpCare passes as is.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2131 on: May 04, 2017, 05:27:02 PM »
Personally, I think all of this focus on removing the protections for pre-existing conditions, essential health benefits, and lifetime caps (while terrible) is basically small potatoes to what this bill really does, which is to give a huge tax break to the wealthiest Americans and pay for it by taking Medicaid away from millions of poor people.

Sure, disassembling ACA protections gets people riled up, because yes it definitely makes American healthcare worse.  But really the headlines on every major news outlet today should be REPUBLICANS VOTE TO STEAL FROM POOR PEOPLE TO PAY FOR TAX BREAK FOR THE RICH.  That's where all the real action is, that's what this bill actually does in terms of immediate dollars and cents changes.  It kicks millions of Americans off of Medicaid, and uses that money to lower taxes on people earning more than $250k/year (the capital gains and medicare surtaxes).  It's literally robbing the poor to pay the rich.

There are other problems, of course.  It looks like the current language prohibits the proposed federal tax credits from being used to buy insurance that includes any abortion-related services, which means that states like NY and CA that mandate abortion coverage in all of the insurance plans would get no federal tax credits.  Which the Republicans must just LOVE, because they love sticking it to liberals and are always trying to find laws that disproportionately hurt the blue states (see state income tax deduction on the chopping block, for example). 

Plus all the usual problems, like kicking tens of millions of people off of their current insurance instead of fulfilling the President's promise of "insurance for everybody" and the inevitable spike in premiums that will result from high risk pools being woefully underfunded instead of folded into the larger ratepayer population.  But really none of that bothers me as much as destroying Medicaid so they can give a tax break to the wealthiest households, that's just evil.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2132 on: May 04, 2017, 05:38:18 PM »
Absolutely, the destruction of Medicaid is my biggest issue with this bill, too.  And since Medicaid covers nursing home stays, this affects a LOT of us who will become elderly or have elderly relatives.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2133 on: May 04, 2017, 05:47:06 PM »
Personally, I think all of this focus on removing the protections for pre-existing conditions, essential health benefits, and lifetime caps (while terrible) is basically small potatoes to what this bill really does, which is to give a huge tax break to the wealthiest Americans and pay for it by taking Medicaid away from millions of poor people.

Sure, disassembling ACA protections gets people riled up, because yes it definitely makes American healthcare worse.  But really the headlines on every major news outlet today should be REPUBLICANS VOTE TO STEAL FROM POOR PEOPLE TO PAY FOR TAX BREAK FOR THE RICH.  That's where all the real action is, that's what this bill actually does in terms of immediate dollars and cents changes.  It kicks millions of Americans off of Medicaid, and uses that money to lower taxes on people earning more than $250k/year (the capital gains and medicare surtaxes).  It's literally robbing the poor to pay the rich.

There are other problems, of course.  It looks like the current language prohibits the proposed federal tax credits from being used to buy insurance that includes any abortion-related services, which means that states like NY and CA that mandate abortion coverage in all of the insurance plans would get no federal tax credits.  Which the Republicans must just LOVE, because they love sticking it to liberals and are always trying to find laws that disproportionately hurt the blue states (see state income tax deduction on the chopping block, for example). 

Plus all the usual problems, like kicking tens of millions of people off of their current insurance instead of fulfilling the President's promise of "insurance for everybody" and the inevitable spike in premiums that will result from high risk pools being woefully underfunded instead of folded into the larger ratepayer population.  But really none of that bothers me as much as destroying Medicaid so they can give a tax break to the wealthiest households, that's just evil.
+1
Well said, Sol.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2134 on: May 04, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »
On the bright side, this current version of the bill apparently keeps the expanded HSA and FSA limits from the previous version.  If you're a high-earning mustachian who typically maxes out these accounts, you just saved thousands of dollars on your taxes for next year!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2135 on: May 04, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »
The problem with sol's headline is that a significant fraction of the electorate thinks Medicaid recipients are already stealing from working people. It's not stealing if you're just getting back what's yours.

Of course everyone has a different opinion of what they are owed. There is a long list of people I think have been robbing me blind, but it's not getting much traction any time soon.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2136 on: May 04, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »
Medicaid recipients are already stealing from working people.

You can twist it however you want, if it makes you feel better.  Here's the breakdown in dollars per income bracket:

Regressive enough for you?

And those numbers are only assuming you're healthy and young.  They get ugly if you're a senior or have a pre-existing condition.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2137 on: May 04, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »
The problem with sol's headline is that a significant fraction of the electorate thinks Medicaid recipients are already stealing from working people. It's not stealing if you're just getting back what's yours.

Of course everyone has a different opinion of what they are owed. There is a long list of people I think have been robbing me blind, but it's not getting much traction any time soon.

When the significant fraction of the electorate thinking as much lives in states that take the most federal aid (leaving states like mine to subsidize them), I have a hard time seeing the logic in their viewpoint.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2138 on: May 04, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
just to play a bit of devil's advocate here..

My understanding is that those earning >$200k will save such an enormous amount of money because the AHCA does away with the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax (aka the "Obamacare tax" levied on the wealthiest).  I'm sure the rich will argue that this isn't a tax cut but rather returning to the Bush-era years when the tax didn't exist at all.  Of course they'd be just as guilty choose their prefered timescales, as under 'W' their taxes were much lower than during the Clinton years... or at the end of WWII when they could be >90% for those in the top bracket.

To be fair I don't disagree with Sol's assessment at all here - the GOP plan is far more about cutting/reducing/eliminating* taxes on the wealthy while reducing the government's long-term exposure on medicaid by cutting back on both the number of people and total amount it covers. In short, it cuts both revenue and outlays, and it certainly does this at the cost of millions of people's health care.

Reducing health care is the means. Cutting tax revenue on the rich and expenditures was the real goal.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2139 on: May 04, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »

When the significant fraction of the electorate thinking as much lives in states that take the most federal aid (leaving states like mine to subsidize them), I have a hard time seeing the logic in their viewpoint.

It's the same logic that led the 98%+ of southerners who didn't own slaves to support secession. Many/most aspired to and/or believed that they could one day become a part of the elite and thus supported anything that maintained their vision of the "American dream" they were convinced they themselves would one day get to live--if only the evil North (or modern Democrats) would stop holding them back. I'm oversimplifying, of course, but that's basically how the "logic" tends to go.

Zinsch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2140 on: May 04, 2017, 07:53:10 PM »
Okay, let's assume the Senate does not pass the House bill as is. 
They can put amendments on that say almost anything.  For example, they could take the Upton amendment (that which provides $8B over 5 years for high-risk pools) and introduce their own amendment that will provide $20B a year over the next ten years.  They could make an amendment limiting the ability for states to use their waivers to 'opt-out'.
I think the Senate is going to pretty much start over and write its own bill. It's called "amendment in the nature of a substitute".

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2141 on: May 04, 2017, 08:15:58 PM »

even with the ACA I'm not sure how we could pull the plug on our day jobs considering the monthly premium + cost of care
Currently the employer based cost is 1,200$/mo for family, employer pays about 2/3, and deductible/out of pocket are pretty minimal (large employer, great health plan)
As self-employed/FIRED,  for this price we would get the very basic plan + deductible would be thousands of $$

It's a shame people never did the numbers to understand how the premium subsidy worked to keep health insurance costs low. If you're a family in a state of FIRE you could have had a relatively high income to qualify for subsidies to help pay the insurance costs.
Assuming you would be living a relatively mustachian lifestyle in your FIRE you would have paid a fairly low price for comprehensive health insurance.

Anyone that contemplates retiring before 65 I hope you have a plan for health insurance now that ACA is likely to be destroyed by the Republicans.

Health insurance is your stash insurance. You built up that stash, but it will be for naught if you don't have health insurance.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2142 on: May 04, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »
Medicaid recipients are already stealing from working people.

You can twist it however you want, if it makes you feel better.  Here's the breakdown in dollars per income bracket:

Regressive enough for you?

And those numbers are only assuming you're healthy and young.  They get ugly if you're a senior or have a pre-existing condition.

Sol I guess you and I might stay longer working for the G in order to keep FEHB.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2143 on: May 05, 2017, 04:31:37 AM »
Anyone that contemplates retiring before 65 I hope you have a plan for health insurance now that ACA is likely to be destroyed by the Republicans.

Health insurance is your stash insurance. You built up that stash, but it will be for naught if you don't have health insurance.

Right now my sort-of plan is to do enough PT consulting to pay for the extra health insurance costs.  We'll see if I have the balls to actually take that risk.

But first let's see what the Senate does.  The buzz this morning is that they are planning to start over and write their own bill, which likely would have a hard time reconciling with the piece of shit that the House passed.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2144 on: May 05, 2017, 04:59:02 AM »
I don't see how a single payer system could work in the US.  Can you imagine the amount of overt and covert negative actions would happen by the Repubs?  They would do all they could to destroy it.  I don't see any easy way out of the mess in the US.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2145 on: May 05, 2017, 05:17:01 AM »
now that ACA is likely to be destroyed by the Republicans.

I think the ACA is now in dire straits, even if no variation or replacement of this bill ultimately gets adopted.  The very prospect of repeal alone (not to mention Trump's active campaign of ACA sabotage) was already contributing towards the destabilization of the individual insurance markets.  Now, a bill that would largely dismantle the ACA has been affirmatively passed by Congress.  Despite its small chances of surviving in its current form, it  casts enormous doubt on the viability of the ACA's future, which itself will further destabilize the market and very possibly render the GOP's claims of the ACA's imminent collapse a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Zinsch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2146 on: May 05, 2017, 05:47:32 AM »
At least until 2021, when Democrats will possibly be back in charge and change the system again.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2147 on: May 05, 2017, 06:01:51 AM »
At least until 2021, when Democrats will possibly be back in charge and change the system again.
The problem is, you can't switch from having health insurance to not having insurance every 4-8 years.  I too, would not retire in this system.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #2148 on: May 05, 2017, 06:37:42 AM »

It's the same logic that led the 98%+ of southerners who didn't own slaves to support secession. Many/most aspired to and/or believed that they could one day become a part of the elite and thus supported anything that maintained their vision of the "American dream" they were convinced they themselves would one day get to live--if only the evil North (or modern Democrats) would stop holding them back. I'm oversimplifying, of course, but that's basically how the "logic" tends to go.

++

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2149 on: May 05, 2017, 06:43:03 AM »
The problem is, you can't switch from having health insurance to not having insurance every 4-8 years.  I too, would not retire in this system.

Thats why they make this thing called health share. 

we should build a mustachian Healthshare company with Mustachianism being our religious grounds for development and exclusion.

We dont want to play your dumb games we're going to self insure our pool of people. thru our faith in mustachianism.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!