Author Topic: What comes after the ACA?  (Read 1916397 times)

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: What comes after the ACA?
« Reply #1200 on: March 02, 2017, 02:19:55 PM »
Or did you mean they should be taxed as you contribute to them each month while working, before being taxed as income when they pay out?

Yes, this.  Right now a person contributes somewhere between 0% and what, 30%? toward their pension while the employer contributes the other half (or fails to fund it as some entities seem to do).   I do not believe the employer contribution is taxed as income at the time it is made but I may be wrong?

If we are going to just have everyone get a IRA contribution deduction and remove 401K deductions then I think you have to examine pensions also, to be fair.

So you just want to end all tax deferred retirement vehicles?  That's probably going to be an unpopular opinion on an early retirement website.

Do you not want people to save for retirement?  Do you want them to save, but for congress to make it much harder for them to do so?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1201 on: March 02, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
Preexisting conditions makes health insurance incredibly expensive.  Imagine if house insurance allowed coverage after a fire started? 

I was trying to explain this concept to someone on Facebook earlier this week -- the mandate exists because insurers can't just deny coverage for preexisting conditions any more, those clients are more expensive, and so more money needs to come in to balance the books. Apparently applied arithmetic is only for "libtards".

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1202 on: March 02, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
Or did you mean they should be taxed as you contribute to them each month while working, before being taxed as income when they pay out?

Yes, this.  Right now a person contributes somewhere between 0% and what, 30%? toward their pension while the employer contributes the other half (or fails to fund it as some entities seem to do).   I do not believe the employer contribution is taxed as income at the time it is made but I may be wrong?

If we are going to just have everyone get a IRA contribution deduction and remove 401K deductions then I think you have to examine pensions also, to be fair.

So you just want to end all tax deferred retirement vehicles?  That's probably going to be an unpopular opinion on an early retirement website.

Do you not want people to save for retirement?  Do you want them to save, but for congress to make it much harder for them to do so?

No, it was rpr that brought it up, I just added in pensions because people may not realize the tax benefit you get on them (just like 401k has a tax benefit).

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1203 on: March 02, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »

No, it was rpr that brought it up, I just added in pensions because people may not realize the tax benefit you get on them (just like 401k has a tax benefit).
Yes  -- I did bring it up. My initial suggestion was to just increase IRA limits to $15-20K per person and get rid of all other vehicles such as 401ks, 403bs, pensions, SEP-IRAs etc. 

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1204 on: March 02, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »
I didn't contribute anything to my company pension, only 401K, IRAs, SS.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1205 on: March 02, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »

True, I did discount this segment of the population. But this is the segment who will never change their behaviors even if they "have skin in the game" like the previous poster was alluding to.
These people probably have Medicaid, or are uninsured. Cutting their insurance is not going to make them suddenly less dumb or mentally ill, won't make them more employable, and they're still going to be seeking out the ER for their care, except now the hospital is going to have to write it off (if they aren't already).

I don't really understand what any of this has to do with the ACA.  If people are making emergency calls for non-emergency matters, shouldn't the fix be to bill them for the services?  If that's not feasible, the problem is going to happen whether or not they have ACA, Medicaid, or no insurance at all.  Even before the ACA, all my insurance plans had a small/no copay for emergency services if admitted, but higher/full responsibility otherwise.  Preventing people from abusing emergency services seems to be a completely orthogonal issue.

You're agreeing with me. I'm not sure if you couldn't tell what my point was. Someone argued that free Medicaid people would ration their care more if they were kicked off and put on a HDHP where they'd suddenly have the sense to ration their care.
It would be great if these people were billed. It would be greater if they suddenly had the means and common sense to pay those bills.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1206 on: March 02, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »
It is total bullshit to say that Democrats don't want to fix ACA. Obama and other Democrats have been saying for years that there are things about ACA that need to be improved.
I haven't seen any legislation proposed or passed by Democrats to address this. Do you have the bill numbers so that i might look up the changes they have suggested?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1207 on: March 02, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »
Ryan's super secret repeal bill was supposed to be in a hidden location.  Rand Paul was seen dragging a copy machine behind him to make a copy of it.  After a search of hidden rooms the bill was nowhere to be found. 

I am not making this up!

One could be easily forgiven for assuming these news reports were coming from the pages of The Onion.

http://www.vox.com/2017/3/2/14792196/gop-obamacare-bill-search
They'll just have to pass it to find out what's in it.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1208 on: March 02, 2017, 09:02:27 PM »
It is total bullshit to say that Democrats don't want to fix ACA. Obama and other Democrats have been saying for years that there are things about ACA that need to be improved.
I haven't seen any legislation proposed or passed by Democrats to address this. Do you have the bill numbers so that i might look up the changes they have suggested?

You are aware that the minority party doesn't get to advance any bills at all, right?

But President Obama spent YEARS trying to fix the ACA, only to have Congress block him at every turn.  Starting with bringing in a whole new team to fix the botched rollout of healthcare.gov.  He has signed (or failed to veto) a whole bunch of bills that modify the ACA. 

Some of them were even sponsored and cosponsored by Democrats!  The most recent was apparently HR 34, sponsored by Democrats from Oregon, which was targeted at reducing Medicare/Medicaid fraud by healthcare providers.  It became law two and a half months ago.

The next most recent was apparently S 599, sponsored by a Democrat from Maryland, which expanded psychiatric care to Medicaid recipients.

Here's a brief summary of overall ACA changes in less technical language (from 2015, so it's missing some stuff), for folks who don't like to read real documents:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/congress-passed-bill-to-change-obamacare_us_5612af43e4b076812702b75f
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:28:46 PM by sol »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1209 on: March 02, 2017, 09:27:32 PM »

You are aware that the minority party doesn't get to advance any bills at all, right?

But President Obama spent YEARS trying to fix the ACA, only to have Congress block him at every turn.  Starting with bringing in a whole new team to fix the botched rollout of healthcare.gov.  He has signed (or failed to veto) a whole bunch of bills that modify the ACA. 

Some of them were even sponsored and cosponsored by Democrats!  The most recent was apparently HR 34, sponsored by Democrats from Oregon, which was targeted at reducing Medicare/Medicaid fraud by healthcare providers.  It became law two and a half months ago.

Here's a brief summary of overall ACA changes in less technical language (from 2015, so it's missing some stuff), for folks who don't like to read real documents:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/congress-passed-bill-to-change-obamacare_us_5612af43e4b076812702b75f
Can only the majority party introduce or sponsor legislation? You seem to be arguing that Republicans should be held responsible for all of the positive changes in the ACA since their rise to power in 2010, if they are the only ones who can advance legislation.

Thank you for the list. Still much work to do to improve.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1210 on: March 02, 2017, 09:34:02 PM »
You seem to be arguing that Republicans should be held responsible for all of the positive changes in the ACA since their rise to power in 2010, if they are the only ones who can advance legislation.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm suggesting.  The American political system is structured in such a way that the majority party has 100% control over each chamber.  Every law that passes only does so because the majority party wants it to.  The majority can always refuse to take up any bill they don't like, or pass it to a committee they control where it can be killed.  They don't even have to vote against it if they don't want to, they can just not let it go up for a vote.

I sometimes talk to congressional staffers, in my job, and they are a disillusioned bunch.  If you are a congressional staffer for the minority party, you basically have nothing to do.  You hold your job in the hopes that someday your party takes control and lets you work on something. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1211 on: March 02, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »
Well good. Then we can put the "Republicans refused to improve the ACA" myth to bed. I myself did not know they had positively amended the ACA.

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #1212 on: March 02, 2017, 11:51:04 PM »

True, I did discount this segment of the population. But this is the segment who will never change their behaviors even if they "have skin in the game" like the previous poster was alluding to.
These people probably have Medicaid, or are uninsured. Cutting their insurance is not going to make them suddenly less dumb or mentally ill, won't make them more employable, and they're still going to be seeking out the ER for their care, except now the hospital is going to have to write it off (if they aren't already).

I don't really understand what any of this has to do with the ACA.  If people are making emergency calls for non-emergency matters, shouldn't the fix be to bill them for the services?  If that's not feasible, the problem is going to happen whether or not they have ACA, Medicaid, or no insurance at all.  Even before the ACA, all my insurance plans had a small/no copay for emergency services if admitted, but higher/full responsibility otherwise.  Preventing people from abusing emergency services seems to be a completely orthogonal issue.

You're agreeing with me. I'm not sure if you couldn't tell what my point was. Someone argued that free Medicaid people would ration their care more if they were kicked off and put on a HDHP where they'd suddenly have the sense to ration their care.
It would be great if these people were billed. It would be greater if they suddenly had the means and common sense to pay those bills.
Except now with medicaid expansion there is a whole segment of the population WITH THE MEANS to pay their own medical bills. Eligibility for medicaid expansion is based on MAGI so all you have to do is donate to your 401k, and/or an IRA to whatever extent to lower MAGI. No resource limit either.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:04:44 AM by Erica »

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1213 on: March 03, 2017, 06:06:51 AM »
Except now with medicaid expansion there is a whole segment of the population WITH THE MEANS to pay their own medical bills. Eligibility for medicaid expansion is based on MAGI so all you have to do is donate to your 401k, and/or an IRA to whatever extent to lower MAGI. No resource limit either.

That's going to be a pretty small group of people without employer-sponsored insurance who are willing to shelter that much income and live on ~$16k just to get Medicaid.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1214 on: March 03, 2017, 06:35:58 AM »

Yeah, this sounds like a bunch of conservative rhetoric.
 I don't see how this is possible for most. If you work then you likely have some sort of employer sponsored insurance which would exclude you from Medicaid. If you don't have an employer option, you can only max out your 401k at $18k. So that would be employed people with no employer provided insurance who make no more than $30-$40k?
If you don't work then you don't have a 401k option or an IRA option (other than Roth and that doesn't shelter income). I guess some early retirees could do it by living on a cash surplus with no other source of income?

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1215 on: March 03, 2017, 07:11:10 AM »
This board is not typical of the average Medicaid user.  Probably 99.98% do not have huge stashes laying around.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1216 on: March 03, 2017, 07:23:38 AM »

If you don't work then you don't have a 401k option or an IRA option (other than Roth and that doesn't shelter income). I guess some early retirees could do it by living on a cash surplus with no other source of income?

Even then, it isn't sustainable over the long-term.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1217 on: March 03, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
Well good. Then we can put the "Republicans refused to improve the ACA" myth to bed. I myself did not know they had positively amended the ACA.

That's exactly the problem in both sides, though.

Republicans don't want to amend the ACA because it will look like they are trying to save obamacare instead of repeal it.  Democrats don't want to amend the ACA because it will look like they are admitting it has problems. 

Basically, everyone gains political advantage by letting it alone, warts and all.  Congress is so caught up in their partisan divide that they can't do what is best for their constituents.  Frankly, it's kind of amazing they've been able to find anything to fix that they can agree on, but they snuck some changes through as part of other bills when they thought no one would notice.

Notice that not one of the 20 ACA revision bills that have thus far become law made the news in any way.  You are not alone in being unawares.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: March 03, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
So it looks like the tax credits based on age will now also have an income test.  Employee health benefits to be taxed.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1219 on: March 03, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »
So it looks like the tax credits based on age will now also have an income test.  Employee health benefits to be taxed.

Source?  Politico is reporting that means-based eligibility criteria are under consideration but none have yet been added to the draft legislation.  (Note that these do not necessarily have to take the form of an income-only test; an asset test is also within the realm of possibility, which would generally be worse for mustachian early retirees.)

In any event, it's still way to early to say what will or will not be happening.  This is simply a draft version of a single GOP proposal, which has not yet been released to the public or even to the all legislators who would need to vote on it and is likely to undergo significant changes.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1220 on: March 03, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
I don't have a definitive source, but based on the House maniac caucus they were wailing about refundable tax credits going to the rich.  Logically the way to limit this would be to have an income phase out range.  A resource test would be too complex and intrusive. 

This whole thing is based on getting the taxes on the super rich taken away and put on the middle class.  They could care less people will die.

snapperdude

• Stubble
« Reply #1221 on: March 03, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »

The next most recent was apparently S 599, sponsored by a Democrat from Maryland, which expanded psychiatric care to Medicaid recipients.

What he said.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »
In doing my taxes I found that getting my AGI low by putting such a large amount into my Solo 401K and tIRA is giving me a whole lot of premium tax subsidy support.  It really makes a big difference.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1223 on: March 04, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
Any thoughts on the republican suggestions for the government to push HSA s, and fund or "seed" them for low income individuals?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1224 on: March 04, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »
Any thoughts on the republican suggestions for the government to push HSA s, and fund or "seed" them for low income individuals?

That's probably the only way you'll get people to put any money into them at all. The problem with HSAs is that they presume people have money to put into them.

If my family suddenly got thrown on a HDHP with no corresponding increase to our income (because let's face it, that's exactly what would happen), it would be a problem.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1225 on: March 04, 2017, 11:12:12 AM »
Separately and unrelatedly, Trump's general income tax proposal had proposed increasing the individual standard tax deduction to $15k (as discussed in this Kitces article), which is why you might have heard the $15k number come up as part of an actual proposal outside the four corners of this forum.
Thanks for clarifying. I would definitely be in support of increasing the individual standard deduction to $15000. At the same time we can get rid of deductions such as for mortgage interest, health insurance premiums (both employee/employer), HSAs, 529s etc. Plus if they also increase IRA contribution limits to $15-20K, I'd also be in favor of getting rid of deductions for retirement accounts like 401ks, 403bs, SEP-IRAs.

Increasing IRA contribution limits by $10k while erasing $18k in 401k would be terrible.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1226 on: March 04, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »

Refundable tax credits, subsidies, seeding HSAs; it's all the same thing - the government giving people money so they can afford their health insurance and out of pocket costs.  The amount is what matters.  Everything I've seen from the repubs so far suggests that they aren't willing to give low income people nearly enough to enable them to actually afford their premiums and out of pocket costs.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1227 on: March 04, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »

Refundable tax credits, subsidies, seeding HSAs; it's all the same thing - the government giving people money so they can afford their health insurance and out of pocket costs.  The amount is what matters.  Everything I've seen from the repubs so far suggests that they aren't willing to give low income people nearly enough to enable them to actually afford their premiums and out of pocket costs.
It is much the same. And no, the numbers floated haven't been very high. But say they were: would this direction give more people more choices, while funding low income people's health insurance? Obviously the devil is in the details and this would not address rising insurance costs, but it could be a step in the right direction overall?

Lance Burkhart

• Stubble
« Reply #1228 on: March 04, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many of you on here are paid to post in support of Obamacare? We know MMM makes a lot of money off his website and he posts in support of Obamacare.  I'm just connecting the dots here.

A majority of online and social media defenders of Obamacare are professionals who are “paid to post,” according to a digital expert.

“Sixty percent of all the posts were made from 100 profiles, posting between the hours of 9 and 5 Pacific Time,” said Michael Brown. “They were paid to post.”

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1229 on: March 04, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many of you on here are paid to post in support of Obamacare? We know MMM makes a lot of money off his website and he posts in support of Obamacare.  I'm just connecting the dots here.

A majority of online and social media defenders of Obamacare are professionals who are “paid to post,” according to a digital expert.

“Sixty percent of all the posts were made from 100 profiles, posting between the hours of 9 and 5 Pacific Time,” said Michael Brown. “They were paid to post.”
Dang, where's my paycheck?

I googled and found the article you're referring to, and I wonder how much this "digital expert" was paid to provide this quote...

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1230 on: March 04, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »

I'm waiting for those checks to come in.  Its a great side gig.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1231 on: March 04, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
I think if you do a tiny bit of digging (just look at post histories) on the folks on this thread (on all "sides" of the debate) you will not find any sock puppets. If there's someone who looks suspicious (ie, only comes here to talk about the ACA or other off-topic stuff) you can just flag them and a mod will ban them.

That said, where can I sign up? :)

Seriously, that kind of allegation just discredits you. You can disagree with Sol or whoever, but accusing him of being a paid shill is pretty low.

-W

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1232 on: March 04, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »

I feel like I've been doing it wrong....

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1233 on: March 04, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »

Shhh.  The pay is under the table.

Also, 95% of digital experts are really analog.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1234 on: March 04, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »

Your dot connecting sense is off. You're supposed to go from 1-2-3 etc. you appear to have gone off the paper, drawn on the wall and made an arrow pointing to your trash can.

The major premise of MMM has never been supporting the ACA. If that's all you've gotten from his writings, you ought to start over from the beginning. If anything, he harps on trucks to the point that you would have more basis (still virtually 0) in calling him an EV spokesperson.

I work in healthcare, and would probably have my compensation lowered if single payer ever came to pass. That doesn't stop me as a consumer from advocating for it. My immediate benefit < my long term benefit (as an old retired person receiving care) < society as a whole.

Also, there's a good chance that the people posting during work hours, are posting personally while at work. Any good paid trolling organization knows that you have to have your workers do 12 hour shifts day and night https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html?_r=0

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1235 on: March 04, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
Just looking at the ACA enrollment numbers.

Exchange enrollees: 12,235,500  (8,234,891 with high subsidies)
Medicaid enrollees:   14,977,083
BHP enrollees:              752,000  (NY and MN Basic Health Plans)
-------------------------------------
Total:                       23,963,983

Lets see what happens when you screw 20 million people out of health coverage.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1swuGOSJox2XEp3nYR6hCNxZhE60bYqTNg7T3VmTeuWU/edit#gid=1632264295

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1236 on: March 04, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if 60% of the posts on this forum come from the top 100 posters.  Of course, some of those top 100 absolutely hate the ACA.

It also wouldn't surprise me if (a different) 60% of posts were made between 9am and 5pm.

But I'm especially enamored of this quote, because it manages to tie together active denial of the fact that Americans are protesting the GOP repeal of the the ACA, a conspiracy theory about paid protestors, and a dig at left coasters.  All in one succinct little pile of crazy.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1237 on: March 04, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if 60% of the posts on this forum come from the top 100 posters.  Of course, some of those top 100 absolutely hate the ACA.

It also wouldn't surprise me if (a different) 60% of posts were made between 9am and 5pm.

But I'm especially enamored of this quote, because it manages to tie together active denial of the fact that Americans are protesting the GOP repeal of the the ACA, a conspiracy theory about paid protestors, and a dig at left coasters.  All in one succinct little pile of crazy.

I 100% agree most of them were paid to post.  By their employers, but for the job they were supposed to be doing instead of screwing around on the internet.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1238 on: March 04, 2017, 09:14:48 PM »

Your dot connecting sense is off. You're supposed to go from 1-2-3 etc. you appear to have gone off the paper, drawn on the wall and made an arrow pointing to your trash can.

ROFLMAO !!!

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1239 on: March 05, 2017, 04:54:36 AM »
New article today on MSN about the Republican plan:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/what-we-know-about-the-gops-healthcare-bill/ar-AAnNlma

The article is mostly old news, as it appears to be based on the draft that leaked a week or two ago.  But I thought this quote was very instructive regarding the Freedom Caucus attitude about health care:

Rep. Michael Burgess (R-Texas), the chairman of the Energy and Commerce health subcommittee, said last month. "If the [coverage] numbers drop, I would say that's a good thing, because we've restored personal liberty in this country."

Yes, let's restore the liberty to go without health insurance because you can't afford it.

There's some re-hashing of things we already knew about, but the basic mechanism by which 20 million people lose coverage bears repeating:

ObamaCare bases its tax credits on income, meaning that low-income people get extra help. The Republican plan, in contrast, would provide a tax credit based on age, with older people receiving more money.

A study from the Kaiser Family Foundation last week found that the average tax credit to help people buy insurance would be at least 36 percent lower in 2020 under a leaked House GOP bill or a previous plan from then-Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) than under the Affordable Care Act.

Avik Roy, a leading Republican health policy expert, wrote in Forbes that not adjusting financial assistance for income is a "key flaw" in the GOP plan.

"It means that millions of highly vulnerable people - those near the poverty line and those with poor health status - will not receive enough in tax credits to afford the coverage they need," he wrote.

Republicans argue that giving more assistance to people with lower incomes is a disincentive to work and earn a higher income.

"You don't get the implicit tax on making more income" under the GOP plan, said Doug Holtz-Eakin, president of the American Action Forum.

So it's very simple.  People who are barely scraping by in blown-out rust belt towns by working at a convenience store out by the highway just need to find a way to make more money, and the health care conundrum will be solved!

And then the coup de grace:

The GOP bill would keep the ObamaCare protection that bans insurers from rejecting people with pre-existing conditions - but with a twist.

Insurers would be allowed to charge people 30 percent higher premiums for one year if they have had a gap in their healthcare coverage.

So once we've kicked low income people off of their health insurance, we're going to make it even harder for them to get back on.  Mwu-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1240 on: March 05, 2017, 04:57:29 AM »
Oh, and who do I see to get my check?  I posted what you said I should post, now where's my money?  WTF?

What, I don't get anything because I'm in a red state, in Appalachia, in the Eastern time zone, posting on a Sunday before 7 am?  Liberal bigots!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:59:11 AM by Monkey Uncle »

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #1241 on: March 05, 2017, 05:53:35 AM »
Yep. This is going to be a disaster for poor people and people who are either sick or get sick. But I bet they'll crunch the numbers and make sure it mainly has negative impact on democratic voters. While giving the rich a big fat tax benefit.  And they'll let the states take medicaid from super poor people thus a state issue.

We are now looking at returning to NZ for FIRE... hello socialism that works.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1242 on: March 05, 2017, 06:06:40 AM »
I just posted on my Journal about a Pre-ACA health experience I had when I was really poor. Something that really was a minor issue could have become much worse because I couldn't afford health insurance.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1243 on: March 05, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
Yep. This is going to be a disaster for poor people and people who are either sick or get sick. But I bet they'll crunch the numbers and make sure it mainly has negative impact on democratic voters. While giving the rich a big fat tax benefit.  And they'll let the states take medicaid from super poor people thus a state issue.

We are now looking at returning to NZ for FIRE... hello socialism that works.
The irony is if they block grant Medicaid then the costs get shifted back to the states, and who controls most of the states?  Repubs do.  So they are shooting themselves in the face.  How can you cut a nursing home?  Throw granny into the street?  Block granting is a huge change that effects expanded and traditional Medicaid.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1244 on: March 05, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »
The GOP bill would keep the ObamaCare protection that bans insurers from rejecting people with pre-existing conditions - but with a twist.

Insurers would be allowed to charge people 30 percent higher premiums for one year if they have had a gap in their healthcare coverage.

So once we've kicked low income people off of their health insurance, we're going to make it even harder for them to get back on.  Mwu-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

That 30% provision sounds really reasonable, it's similar to the ACA penalty for opting out. The premiums will always stay in a reasonable range whether you're chronically sick or not.

The only thing that would be nice is giving more credits to low income. But complaining about it when you have a $2m stash and you want to FIRE is a little disingenuous.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1245 on: March 05, 2017, 02:40:05 PM »

That 30% provision sounds really reasonable, it's similar to the ACA penalty for opting out. The premiums will always stay in a reasonable range whether you're chronically sick or not.

The only thing that would be nice is giving more credits to low income. But complaining about it when you have a $2m stash and you want to FIRE is a little disingenuous.

Who says I have a $2MM stash?  If I did, I would be FIREd already and wouldn't be complaining about the cost of health care, because $2MM would be more than twice what I need to FIRE, even with paying the full cost of expensive health insurance.  Rather, I wouldn't be complaining about it on my own behalf, but I probably would keep complaining about it on behalf of poor people, because they are about to get royally screwed.

The 30% re-entry penalty is only reasonable if they keep subsidies/tax credits/whatever high enough to keep low income people from losing their health insurance in the first place.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1246 on: March 05, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1247 on: March 05, 2017, 07:05:35 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_you

Sorry for unloading on you; it was not clear from your post that you were referring to the "generic you."

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1248 on: March 06, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

I'm still waiting for my ones from Soros. I'm told that all liberals on the Internet are on his payroll.

jim555

• Magnum Stache