Author Topic: What College did you Attend?....  (Read 50263 times)

belgiandude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What College did you Attend?....
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »
Leuven, Belgium.
I did my bachelors, masters, and PhD there.

Cost of bachelors and masters: about 500 EUR per year + books.
I lived at my parents' during my bachelor/master, so no housing or food costs.

Cost during PhD: about 600 EUR for the first and last year.

I think that the day that I graduated, I ended up with a net worth close to 100k EUR, as PhD students are paid generously in Belgium (my last year was about 49k EUR gross (65k USD)). If I had stayed for a Post-Doc, I would have received about 60k EUR (80k USD) gross per year. I moved to industry, as I required an environment change (and it is better paid). (If you want to compare: income taxes are close to 50% and cost of living is a little bit higher than NY when taking into account salaries).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:21:31 PM by belgiandude »

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
I went to the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire for my bachelor's in Social Work.  No loans, worked my butt off to pay for it myself as I went through.
Now I'm getting my masters through Endicott college.  My employeer is paying 80% of the tuition.  My 20% is deducted from my paycheck.

those are smart ways to pay for a social work degree! rock on!!! is the masters in social work too?

(also, my little sis is in the UW system at La Crosse :))

My masters will be in Applied Behavior Analysis and Autism.  I actually grew up in La Crosse.  It's still one of my most favorite places.  But I'm biased.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
Undergrad:  James Madison University

Grad:  Old Dominion University

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:11 AM »
Associate's degreee in Computer Information Systems from my local community college, Jefferson Community College in Louisville. Right training , right time (1996). Built experience and now I do interesting work that's only about half involved with computers - business/data analysis. My teammates have BS's and MBAs, but we all make about the same money.
S.T.E.M., baby!!

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2014, 11:29:34 AM »
BA: University of Missouri-Columbia '06
PhD: University of Central Florida '12

Ended up with 15k in student loans, but actually had them paid off before I finished my dissertation because I did the thing they telll you not to do and got a job before I defended.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:36:02 AM by mizzourah2006 »

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
Cal Poly Pomona in the late 90's - commuter school, no college life
 - attended 3 different CC to get enough credits to transfer (included weekend college & watching VHS tapes at home!) - Hey, whatever it took!
 - I think my total tuition including books was a couple thousand per year

Janelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »
University of Idaho for BA (paid for with scholarship to do Special Education)
San Francisco State University for MA and Ed D (paid as I went)

I graduated with no debt, just broke even.

easton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »
"The" Ohio State University (it's okay though, you don't have to call me The Russ)

It was worth far more than what I paid for it
I went to Penn State University. But since you are mustachian I can learn to like you.

WE ARE! I dunno...for this Penn Stater even mustachianism might not be enough to make that happen :p

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
I went to Penn State University. But since you are mustachian I can learn to like you.

WE ARE! I dunno...for this Penn Stater even mustachianism might not be enough

When I went to graduate school at Penn State, I quickly figured out that Penn State graduates more students every year than my undergrad (Caltech) has ever graduated.  Ever.

The PSU alumni association likes to mention that about 1 in every 400 Americans is a Penn State grad.  That includes children not yet of college age.

Ajmsbu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
Saint Bonaventure University BBA Finance '03

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »
Undergrad: U of Michigan 2002
Professional: U of Michigan 2010

Graduated with significant debt, all gone now.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »
Went only a couple hours up the road in South Bend.  Don't see any other Domers, but doesn't surprise me.

You can count one more, at least.

Undergrad: Notre Dame (BS)
Grad: Columbia (MS)

Embarrassingly left each institution somewhat indebted; though I did benefit from a large scholarship because of a priestly relative working at ND, and my employer paying for part of my masters.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2014, 06:42:39 AM »
University of Vermont! I loved it. Graduated debt-free thanks to a full-tuition merit scholarship and my parents covering room and board. And despite the stereotypes, I never smoked weed and only went skiing once the whole time I was there.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »

WE ARE! I dunno...for this Penn Stater even mustachianism might not be enough

When I went to graduate school at Penn State, I quickly figured out that Penn State graduates more students every year than my undergrad (Caltech) has ever graduated.  Ever.

The PSU alumni association likes to mention that about 1 in every 400 Americans is a Penn State grad.  That includes children not yet of college age.

holy shitballs Caltech is small. I had to Google it. I mean, Penn State is also huge, but I thought to myself, "hmm, it was also much larger than my undergraduate alma mater, but not THAT much larger..." what an impressively large reputation/footprint for such an institution with so few students.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
Lehigh University! Like the above UVM poster, I didn't drink (as is the reputation of Lehigh).

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Clemson University.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
Smallish private university in the Big 10 that has a decent football team.

That would be Northwestern :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2014, 06:27:56 AM »
Three not-famous Canadian schools -- Concordia, Carleton, Ottawa. Good degrees, cheap tuition.

Ottawa  trained me for my current job, but Concordia did the most to shape me, as well as my idea of an ideal university (urban, multi-culti, engaged with the community, gay-friendly, accessible, artsy, residence-free, cheap).

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »
DH and I both graduated from University of Oklahoma. He with a degree in mechanical engineering. Me? English literature. Guess which one of us was able to find a job post graduation? :)

1tolivesimply

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:12 AM »
Florida International University (FIU) in Miami, FL.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »
BS Carnegie Mellon, Econ and math (and creative writing minor).  I don't really have any school spirit, but wow was it a tremendous (along with stressful and confidence-destroying character-building) experience, plus I met my husband-to-be (in one week!) there, so no regrets!
Currently doing my PhD at Penn.  And damn is that campus 89762348762543 times more beautiful!

My wife and I are both CMU grads (BS and MS for me). I had a great experience there, met a lot of friends, learned a lot (most useful, some not), met my wife, was introduced to whitewater rafting and kayaking there (which I orient my life around now. Seriously, my FIRE plans are kayaking the way Nords surfs), had 2 good job offers lined up before graduation and still I think the school is overpriced.

I would love for my future children to go there, but it wont be getting my recommendation unless the kids get more than a 50% scholarship.

schoopsthecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
Illinois Wesleyan - undergrad
Butler - masters

Storapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
Another Brit here.

Warwick Uni, to study Mechanical Engineering.  Man, they worked us hard. 

They had a great climbing wall and climbing club.  That suited me. 

When I graduated I was offered a PhD with some funding, but decided that I couldn't face more studying and financially it wouldn't be worth it.  A reasonably sensible decision at the time.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:22:29 AM by Storapa »

DSA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »
I got my BS in computer science at the University of Utah. I had a full-tuition scholarship, which I sadly lost after the first year (darn grades!), but by that time I was able to easily get in-state tuition. Not going to lie, my parents helped me out partially on the college costs (they did tuition while I did housing/living costs), but because of that I was able to graduate without any debt.

Currently at Purdue for a PhD program -- just started courses this week. It's a good school, but one of the big factors that encouraged me to come here is that they're the only school that accepted me with funding. I wouldn't have gone to grad school if I had to pay for it.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
I got my BS in computer science at the University of Utah. I had a full-tuition scholarship, which I sadly lost after the first year (darn grades!), but by that time I was able to easily get in-state tuition. Not going to lie, my parents helped me out partially on the college costs (they did tuition while I did housing/living costs), but because of that I was able to graduate without any debt.

Currently at Purdue for a PhD program -- just started courses this week. It's a good school, but one of the big factors that encouraged me to come here is that they're the only school that accepted me with funding. I wouldn't have gone to grad school if I had to pay for it.

Nice! I was starting to think I was the only UofU graduate on here ;)

I paid for my grad program at the U of U, with student loans of course *facepunch*. So not worth it. But I'm close to having them all paid off, and I graduated with my BS with no loans at least.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2014, 05:02:44 AM »
Well, that depends on where you are, I know them all.  Concordia and Carleton are better than their general reputations, I think, and U of O is like McGill, old, big, staid, interesting.  You can learn a lot at all of them if you want to.

Three not-famous Canadian schools -- Concordia, Carleton, Ottawa. Good degrees, cheap tuition.

downtownshuter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
Michigan State, Finance. Thankfully I passed on the MBA route.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
I went to Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. Did not graduate, as I chose to pursue other interests.

earlybird

« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »
Started at Appalachian State Univ., transferred to East Carolina Univ., then (finally!) graduated with a BS Nursing from Western Carolina Univ. Oh, and also took a few summer classes at UNC-Asheville. Obviously I couldn't make up my mind and wanted to experience as many colleges in NC as possible, lol. Early retirement for me last Dec. and I am loving my life now!

Edited to say my husband is a Duke Univ. grad.