Author Topic: What are your hopes/plans/dreams/resolutions for 2018?  (Read 3183 times)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
What are your hopes/plans/dreams/resolutions for 2018?
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »
Perhaps you're going to hit a Mustachian goal, or maybe your Mustachianism will give you the means to do something unrelated to finances. What's in the offing for you?

I am really looking forward to 2018. For the first time in a number of years, I am heading into the year without big financial/time commitments already in place. Of course, you never know what the Universe will hold for you and your loved ones, but it's nice to know that whatever comes up, I'm starting from a neutral position instead of already having a lot on my plate.

Here's what I'm looking forward to.

--Joining up with the weight loss thread. I have learned over the years that I do best at working toward a healthy weight when I'm not overwhelmed with other things. I'm actually excited about it, which is a really good sign.
--Being more spontaneous. I've always been a planner and an optimizer, and it's been good for me. I will probably always love making lists and crossing off items. But this past year, I started taking a few more risks and had a lot of fun with it.
--At work, we also entering the "clean-plate club" after several years of major projects and surprise challenges that have eaten up a lot of time and energy. My team has several things on the horizon that I'm excited about.
--My best friend and I have committed to a vacation together. We both have reasonable schedules, but we both work on an annual calendar and the free time doesn't line up very well. So if we miss a pretty narrow window, that's it for the year.

How about everyone else?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: What are your hopes/plans/dreams/resolutions for 2018?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »
Pay off student loan.
Replace electrical throughout the house (hiring that out)
Redo insulation in the crawl space so my 1st floor isn't 10 degrees colder than the 2nd floor next winter.
Get rid of all the damn rocks outside. (if you're in NWI and need river rock, PM me).

I'm not very good at this.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »
My 2018 plans looks something like this:
  • Visit brother in Singapore
  • Max out 401k
  • Help GF max out 403b
  • Take daughter to Europe
  • Lots of walks in my new neighborhood
  • Learn some new skills

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »
Finish renovating Rental #3.
Go dancing with my wife.
Sell old house.
Both of us will retire. 
Renovate Flip House #1 for fun (and hopefully profit).
Sell Flip House.
Make art.
Teach some art classes.
Fix stuff around the house.
Chase my wife around the house.
Snug the cats.
Walk and bicycle together, and lose weight together.

That should keep us pretty busy.

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
My money goals are:
1. Raise 401k to 15% (starts first paycheck of the year).
2. Shop for new insurance (home and auto). - DONE
3. Shop for new electric plan. - DONE (starts late January)
4. Refi student loans. - In progress.
5. Replenish $1500 in savings. (Moved some cash into my investment account)
6. Continue paying extra on car.

I have a lot of other goals as well. I have a reading list, travel list, and some things I would like to accomplish around the house.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
My goal for the whole of 2018 is to have my (currently low) income from self-employment exceed my expenses for the year, preferably by enough to put a decent chunk of money into the stache.

My goals for January are to improve my sales skills, learn to bake bread, and declutter the house.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
I need to work on my health and fitness.  May retire this year...depends on who is hired as my new boss and if they continue to allow my 70% part time deal. 

Llewellyn2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
I'd like our liquid assets to reach $1.25m and at the end of the year I want to quit my main gig. And I want to maintain a 4 day/30 hour working week. Apart from that I want to ride my bike more and do more photography as well as do more bike rides with my wife.