Author Topic: What's your walk score?  (Read 37894 times)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's your walk score?
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2016, 08:22:08 AM »
Mine says 5 (car dependent), but I don't think that's entirely accurate.  It says it takes 59 min to walk to our towns downtown area.  It doesn't- takes about 20.  My disabled mom only takes 35 min to walk to downtown.  You could actually walk to Super Target 1.25 mi away.  New elementary school is literally right next to my neighborhood.

I agree that we need a lower score b/c if you work full time it's likely not in the town and you commute but for life basics, it's not bad.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2016, 08:44:10 AM »
Walk score of 0 (I live in the country).

BUT:
- Distance to the woods and ski trail? Less than 100 feet.
- My in-laws? 3 minutes walk.
- Beach? Less than 1km
- Chickens, eggs, garden, etc? Less than 100 feet.
- Distance to work: 1/2 of the week, 50km. 1/2 of the week, my basement.
- Distance to kayaking, canoes, and fishing? about 500m.

There's a reason we live where we do. :)

It is interesting to see the big differences between the really high walk scores and the really low ones. 

I love seeing how different even Mustachians can be, showing there is no "one way" to be something.

PS.  I'm jealous of your chickens!  We hope to have some next year. 

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
48 walk score which strikes me as absurdly low. Everything I want: supermarket, library, Chinese food, train station, doctor, dentist, veterinarian, liquor store, post office, church is 3 blocks walk (schools too if I had kids). What more could you want? Even an airport 10 miles away (alright a 3 hour walk is a little extreme but still....). I have people asking me if I am going to move to some place warmer and less expensive but I figure I have it pretty good here so why bother?

I looked up the address where I grew up and that was a 9 which makes sense. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2016, 08:09:55 PM »
64 but they missed  2 midisized drug/grocery stores 1.5 blocks away.

town average 29.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
48 Walk Score -- although it should be higher. Looking at the details, my home scored a zero in the parks category, when in fact it's one block away from an entrance into one of the best parks in the city. The park is just so big that its marker on their map is miles away. So the score isn't definitive.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2016, 09:59:34 AM »
Only got a 50.  I think that's really low compared to what it should be.  We've got every type of store necessary under a mile away.  The only reason I need to drive is to get across town to my job.  There are walkable jobs here, I just don't happen to have one myself (yet).

dbanta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2016, 10:07:57 AM »
Walk - 38
Transit - 41
Bike - 84

I usually walk or bike to the bus to get to downtown.  I walk or bike to work and local coffee shops.  But the grocery store is usually a car trip.

Ethernet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
I got a perfect 10. No grocery store for three miles, apparently I should buy all my groceries at the gas station and my local post office is now serving food.

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
I got a Walkscore of 47. I'm not sure how they're classifying stuff. We live in an apartment - a township park butts up to the property, the elementary school is two block (my daughter is in kindergarten), I can walk or ride my bike to the library, a grocery store, coffee shop, TWO pharmacies, tutoring centers, major hospital (hoping to land a job there), a satellite campus of Princeton, and restaurants.

I would rather live in Princeton, but not for an extra 1000$/month.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »
30, but it's in the middle of the desert.  In California.  In a military town basically.  Could be worse.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
30, but it's in the middle of the desert.  In California.  In a military town basically.  Could be worse.

Ha ha!  We just drove from SB to Utah via Las Vegas.  Saw a lot of military towns in CA desert.  I can imagine.

But you got a 30, which is better than me.  My house got a 20!  In Santa Barbara!

They are right about the steep hills and lack of bike lines.  Also, we lost our major grocery store that was 1.25 miles away (up over a steep hill with little in the way of sidewalks) in the Albertson's/ Haggen debacle.

PepperPotts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »
1! (Bike 48)
But I love my new neighborhood--very convenient.  And I walk daily.  Greenline nearby, kids walk to school. I can even walk to the hospital 2 miles away.  But I work there only about 5% of my time and my other work location is 15min drive--haven't figured out a safe bike route yet.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2016, 09:00:31 AM »
17. There's a decent shopping hub within 2 miles. I'm pretty fortunate because the west side of Anchorage is pretty much a food desert.

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
34 for me, which seems a little low. There's a plaza across the street that has a dentist, sports bar, chinese food, sub shop, dunkin donuts, and a dry cleaner. Another plaza within 10 minutes has a walgreens, wells fargo, bbq, and a couple other things. The closest park is under a 10 minute walk, and a huge park with pavilions and gun range is probably 15-20 minutes the other way.

I didn't see a bike score but I imagine it would be much better, since another plaza with the major grocery store, 4 more banks, and more restaurants is about 1.5 miles away. Must be out of "walk" range for purposes of the site. 

One of the things I looked for was having things in walk/bike range without being overly crowded, so I'm pretty happy with the area. If they could put a grocery store in the plaza across the street (it's large enough to handle one) I'd be even happier.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2016, 08:52:38 PM »
34 for me, ..., and a huge park with pavilions and gun range is probably 15-20 minutes the other way.

a walkable gun range should be a massive multiplier for the score :-)

like hitting triple word Scrabbletm with zymurgy.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »
My house is apparently a 6.

What's weird is the grocery store, wholesale store, other retail establishments, many parks, the local library, and much more is all within 2.5 miles from my house. Is that not walkable? Plus, the more posh neighborhood across the bridge is connected by a 7-10 mile shaded walk/bike path. The whole loop around the local lake is 18 miles--a great route for exercise biking or running. Plus, I don't think the score takes short cuts of any kind for safety or expediency.

I get it that most of my neighbors are car dependent, but that should not affect the score for the willing person.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2016, 08:13:13 AM »
Where is the bikescore?  I didn't see that either.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »
I am surprised how high my walkscore is: 70! I got 100 for bike score too, which I am also surprised. We do live in an area with excellent bike roads, bike controlled cross walks, etc.

cbgg

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »
91 baby!

We HIGHLY value the walkability (and bike ability) of our current location.  We definitely spend a little more to live so close to the town center.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
My house is apparently a 6.

What's weird is the grocery store, wholesale store, other retail establishments, many parks, the local library, and much more is all within 2.5 miles from my house. Is that not walkable? Plus, the more posh neighborhood across the bridge is connected by a 7-10 mile shaded walk/bike path. The whole loop around the local lake is 18 miles--a great route for exercise biking or running. Plus, I don't think the score takes short cuts of any kind for safety or expediency.

I get it that most of my neighbors are car dependent, but that should not affect the score for the willing person.

People typically walk at around 3 mph; to grocery shop at a store 2.5 miles away would involve a 50 minute walk just to get there, followed by a 50 minute walk to return home, not counting any time spent shopping. Unless you'd regularly drive 50 minutes multiple times a day to get groceries, deposit a check at a bank, visit a restaurant, buy stamps at the post office, and do other mundane tasks, you probably instinctively understand why most people wouldn't consider 2.5 miles functionally walkable.

Studies have suggested that people typically prefer a 15-minute commute to shorter or longer ones. That works out to 3/4 of a mile by foot, which fits comfortably within the 1 mile radius that's heavily weighted by Walkscore and other surveys of walkability.

Walkability doesn't mean how far you can theoretically walk if you're "willing"; you can technically walk a marathon a day if you decide to. It refers to how likely you're able to accomplish *all* of your daily tasks on foot; this is correlated highly with a 1 mile radius for the vast majority of people who actually live this way voluntarily.

On a side note...I took a walk with my wife and kids in a stroller the other day. We walked to a grocery store that was just 1.5 miles away. It still took us 40-50 minutes each way between crossing streets and giving our toddler turns to walk out of the stroller when requested, not including time actually spent shopping. The entire exercise was 2 hours long. It was fun, but it definitely wasn't the kind of thing we could do on a daily basis. If the store had been .5 miles away, on the other hand, we could have made the trip, even with our kids, in about 15 minutes each way. That's walkability.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:36:37 PM by tobitonic »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2016, 09:53:43 PM »
We're at 80 in my part of town. 100 for entertainment, drinking and dining [mostly expensive foreign restaurants I never visit], the city's largest park is down the road. Quality, affordable groceries are a bit of a hike (50 score) - but it's on the way home from work. Transit's very good too.

Funny, the walk score here feels much lower, with massive boulevards and streets surrounding; our last neighborhood felt like, well, a neighborhood. Now it's a compound in an expensive part of the city.

ETA: In a few months, I'm moving to Hong Kong, and my address there rates 100. It's connected to the entire city through the metro and buses, everything you need is nearby.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:52:20 AM by expatartist »

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2016, 07:30:22 AM »
Home- 32 Walk Score, 38 Transit score. Interesting, considering we have all 3 schools, a grocery store, CVS, mail store that accepts FedEx and UPS shipments, 2 restaurants, and a bus stop within a mile of the house.

Work- 73 Walk Score, 67 Transit score. Makes sense, as it's in a very well-developed area near a major city and my home is in the suburbs.

seattleite

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »
70 - It's a big reason why we chose this neighborhood. Unfortunately it makes it very difficult to move to a more reasonably priced neighborhood because we can't imagine giving up walking places with our kids every day.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »
38. I am sort of surprised because I can walk to three grocery stores, the drug store, banks, post office, several restaurants, elementary, middle, and high school, a bunch of pros, etc. nature preserve and hiking is right across the street from me. I can bike to Sesrs, shopping center, library, public pool, YMCA.

I wonder how close things have to be to be considered walkable.