Author Topic: What's your price to get bumped on a flight?  (Read 21065 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: What's your price to get bumped on a flight?
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »

the passenger is not unlawful

Once United tells him to get off the plane and he doesn't he is trespassing.   He may have a breach of contract claim, but he still has to legally get off the plane if the owner tells him to doesn't he?
Not if he paid to be there, I don't think. 

MidWestLove

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
think of that this way  - you get into a cab to go into airport to make a flight. driver takes money upfront (fixed charge), locks the door, and starts driving (you are boarded, in your seat in United situation)

half way, a dispatcher tells driver that his brother in law is looking for him and BIL wants a favor by getting a  ride into the airport so driver tells you to get out of his car so his BIL would ride. Why? Why not tell BIL to get a different ride, find uber, etc? How is it your problem as a passenger if you have been sat down and already on the trip?

driver goes on the power trip demanding you leave his moving car and then calls a cops on you. why should cops get involved? so driver can take his brother in law at your expense? where is law enforcement issue here and what law?

that is united situation - they acted with arrogance believing themselves to be above any review including that of public opinion. that isn't true as they are learning now.  solving crew needs at expense of your passengers is not free  either at least in reputation damages.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »

the passenger is not unlawful

Once United tells him to get off the plane and he doesn't he is trespassing.   He may have a breach of contract claim, but he still has to legally get off the plane if the owner tells him to doesn't he?

It gets murky fast.  I had to call the police on an angry opposing party that refused to leave my office lobby.  They were not inclined to intervene but eventually did when he was still there an hour and 45 minutes later.  They told him to get off the property and not come back and if he did come back THEN he would be trespassing.  Me telling him to get out, in and of itself, did not create a trespass situation in a semi-public business.

East River Guide

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
  Me telling him to get out, in and of itself, did not create a trespass situation in a semi-public business.

Agreed in a public business you can't claim someone who walks in is trespassing, but I think property owners generally retain the right to ask people to leave their property.   It has to be that buying a ticket only gives you a contract right, the violation of which is a claim for breach of contract.   Airlines cancel flights all the time, sometimes even after boarding- you can't claim that once you board somehow you own your spot.   If the airline decides to kick you or others or everyone off on what legal right do you refuse?  Is there some carriage right somewhere someone can point to?

And why are people surprised when the result of disobeying a police order is the use of force?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:38:36 PM by East River Guide »

MidWestLove

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
"property owners generally retain the right to ask people to leave their property"

within limits -usually protecting both parties. you may own the apartment you are renting but you cant just make your renter get out immediately because you sister needs a place to sleep tonight and call cops to kick them out unless there is an actual crime involved. being property owner does not give one unlimited rights...

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
I've been voluntarily bumped a few times - love the benefits!  I have also stayed back a few times due to circumstances, but I have never known anyone to be involuntarily bumped since they usually up the ante until someone bites. 

This forcible removal of a passenger should haunt United for years, but people's memories are short.

I had someone involuntarily bumped from a red eye from Fresno. They offered up to $300, but no one took. I thought about it, but it was a $300 credit that expired in 1 year and I honestly don't fly much outside of work (which is paid for).

When no one offered, they had their computer randomly select someone (who I assume was still offered the same credit). The lady who was bumped was crying and saying that she was going to visit her sister who was expected to die in the next day or so. Someone then offered to take the $300.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
What United did to this passenger was atrocious and inexcusable (and I hope it costs them dearly).

If I was not under a time constraint, I would volunteer for 2-400 plus accommodation and meal(s). I only fly three or four times per year, though, and the "opportunity" has never arisen (probably also because I don't generally fly United).

I totally disagree.  Having been involuntarily bumped myself, it is the passenger here that is acting atrociously.  When I was bumped, I checked in, got to the gate at the last minute.  Was about to enter the plane and they stopped me.  Said Unfortunately I was being bumped because Northwest had to move a crewmember and I was the last one checked in.  They apologized, gave me a voucher and re-booked me to a later flight.  I did not throw a tantrum about how I was an important person etc. and I didn't refuse to leave.  I was pissed, but oh well.  This passenger got bumped.  It sucks but its the airline's right to do it.  It is decidedly NOT okay for him to refuse to comply with crew instructions and become belligerent.  If you fail go comply with crew instructions, what do you THINK is going to happen?  Police/TSA is what's going to happen.  So while I think the overbooking BS the airlines use is poor customer service, I do not blame united for removing a passenger that is acting like a tool.
My own personal opinion is that there's a BIG difference between "denied boarding because you were the last checked in and we gave your seat away" and "already sitting in a seat and being forced off".

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »
What United did to this passenger was atrocious and inexcusable (and I hope it costs them dearly).

If I was not under a time constraint, I would volunteer for 2-400 plus accommodation and meal(s). I only fly three or four times per year, though, and the "opportunity" has never arisen (probably also because I don't generally fly United).

I totally disagree.  Having been involuntarily bumped myself, it is the passenger here that is acting atrociously.  When I was bumped, I checked in, got to the gate at the last minute.  Was about to enter the plane and they stopped me.  Said Unfortunately I was being bumped because Northwest had to move a crewmember and I was the last one checked in.  They apologized, gave me a voucher and re-booked me to a later flight.  I did not throw a tantrum about how I was an important person etc. and I didn't refuse to leave.  I was pissed, but oh well.  This passenger got bumped.  It sucks but its the airline's right to do it.  It is decidedly NOT okay for him to refuse to comply with crew instructions and become belligerent.  If you fail go comply with crew instructions, what do you THINK is going to happen?  Police/TSA is what's going to happen.  So while I think the overbooking BS the airlines use is poor customer service, I do not blame united for removing a passenger that is acting like a tool.
My own personal opinion is that there's a BIG difference between "denied boarding because you were the last checked in and we gave your seat away" and "already sitting in a seat and being forced off".

Even "last checked in", I mean if I meet the deadline where I have to check into my flight at least an hour ahead of time for my trip I booked way back when, who are they to say "oops, yeah, we said be here an hour ahead, but really we meant 3 hours ahead or we can give away your seat."  No.  I paid for a ticket, I expect to get on that plane as long as I check in by the specified time and show up to the gate before the door to the plane is closed.  They sure as hell charged me for the ticket.

I pulled one recently where (long story short) my wife and daughter and I had three round trip tickets and my wife had to come home early.  United wanted way more to change her ticket ($500 or so) than a one-way ticket cost ($300) so we just bought the extra one way ticket and left her original round trip ticket.  When my daughter and I showed up to our flight, you can bet your ass I checked my wife in too.  And then I scanned three boarding passes getting on the plane, for 2 people.  Gate attendant started to protest and I said "are you going to refund me for the extra seat?  No?  Then guess what, we're using the three seats we paid for."  And we did.  Screw them. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
I've volunteered maybe once and didn't get chosen. I don't want to be bumped in general. If I am heading out on a vacation I have limited time, plans and reservations for arrival, or a connecting flight. I don't want to lose one of my vacation days to sitting at the airport.  If heading home I generally need to get back to work, kids back to school, etc. $800 wouldn't be worth the high degree of Inconvenience.

Aside from vacation - business travelers are usually on a tight turn around. Traveling for events - like a funeral, wedding, etc are usually also on a tighter timeline that can't cope with a day delay.

I can understand why no one took the $800 or so offer to be delayed nearlY 24 hours, into a workday, to be bumped.

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »
Few years ago, we booked a round trip international flight for our family of 4.  On our way back, when I called to confirm our seats, CSR told me our seats were overbooked. They offered to upgrade us to business.  It was great.  We could lie down and sleep for that long flight. 

The dollar value was probably > $2000 dollars since business is at least double the price for economy on that international flight.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:39:36 PM by fh2000 »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2017, 09:58:59 PM »
I just saw thread with the value of your time calculator - given that number, I'd need $2k for a 24 hour delay.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2017, 06:00:50 AM »
Chris22 love your spirit!   I'm almost ashamed of the amount of corporate suck-asses posting on this thread.  Pussification of the masses bowing to corporations is as unMustacian as it gets.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2017, 07:19:08 AM »
Plain and simple United violated their contract with this man, and the government stepped in and enthusiastically used the only tool in their bag, violence, to enforce United's violation of the contract. This man should be set for life after the lawsuit.

The contract states an action "deny boarding", the flight was already completely boarded.
The contract states a condition "oversold", the flight was not oversold.
The contract also states a priority or ranking (fare class, elite status, etc.) for which individuals will be chosen to "deny boarding" (note, not remove from aircraft). This man seems to have been chosen at random.

The only legal option United had was to keep sweetening their offer for volunteers until they had their 4 seats for crew... Or seek alternative transportation for their crew, or find an alternate crew for the next flight so they could get their employees where they needed to be on their own aircraft.

As for my price... I only travel commercial air for work as I will not have my rights violated and be sexually assaulted for a vacation. So typically if I'm outbound I need to be at my destination to work, small delays I can work with but not being on site the first day could make the trip a waste. Maybe $3k and getting bumped to the top elite status for a year with lounge access included, or $5k without the perks, and even then only assuming I could make it work to not be on site at my originally planned time which is sometimes the case but not always. For a return flight (typically much more flexible the next few days), $1k and some perks or $2k with no perks.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
Plain and simple United violated their contract with this man, and the government stepped in and enthusiastically used the only tool in their bag, violence, to enforce United's violation of the contract. This man should be set for life after the lawsuit.

The contract states an action "deny boarding", the flight was already completely boarded.
The contract also states a priority or ranking (fare class, elite status, etc.) for which individuals will be chosen to "deny boarding" (note, not remove from aircraft). This man seems to have been chosen at random.

The only legal option United had was to keep sweetening their offer for volunteers until they had their 4 seats for crew... Or seek alternative transportation for their crew, or find an alternate crew for the next flight so they could get their employees where they needed to be on their own aircraft.

As for my price... I only travel commercial air for work as I will not have my rights violated and be sexually assaulted for a vacation. So typically if I'm outbound I need to be at my destination to work, small delays I can work with but not being on site the first day could make the trip a waste. Maybe $3k and getting bumped to the top elite status for a year with lounge access included, or $5k without the perks, and even then only assuming I could make it work to not be on site at my originally planned time which is sometimes the case but not always. For a return flight (typically much more flexible the next few days), $1k and some perks or $2k with no perks.

This is an example of a position of FU.  Maybe some of you didn't see the movie.  This is true badass confidence.   This is the attitude of our founders.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2017, 08:48:50 AM »
Vouchers are worthless and expire in a year.  They could offer a $1M voucher and I wouldn't take it.

What will happen after they appoint me king is the following:  If someone is involuntarily denied boarding, the airline must pay them $5,000 in a check.  No vouchers, no wheel barrow of lollypops, cash.  Doesn't matter if the airline has another flight in 7 minutes at the next gate or not for 3 days.  $5k cash allows the passenger to go get a first class flight on any other airline he chooses. 

I would also make it a requirement that when the airlines offer incentives to get off a plane, it must be a cash incentive.  No voucher crap.  I've had plenty of vouchers from when I flew for a living....mostly because the airline screwed up and I was late getting somewhere.  Know what they were worth in the end?  Zip.  Could never use them.

shorebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »
For IDB (Involuntarily Denied Boarding) it actually is the law that the passenger can demand cash reimbursement - not just the vouchers that the airlines always want to offer instead.

Among the many problems in the United case, UA did not inform the passengers of their rights (in writing, as required by law), and also only gave a lowball offer.  Since passengers were not aware that they could demand cash, 3 of them walked away with a crappy $800 voucher, which is much less valuable than actual dollars. 

Dr. Dao opted not to accept what UA told him they'd provide in exchange for rebooking him almost 24 hours later, and he walked away with a concussion, broken nose, and two missing teeth.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:00:39 AM by shorebird »

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »

Saw Yahoo news discussion on this.  Looks like the government guideline for involuntary bump requires a written statement to the paid customer.  It appears United did not do that in this case, and may have violated the government rule.

For future overbooking cases, do you think the passengers will feel safer to wait for the bid to go higher and higher before taking the offer?  Seems that is the only lawful means for airline to bump a paid customer now.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2017, 11:39:22 AM »

Saw Yahoo news discussion on this.  Looks like the government guideline for involuntary bump requires a written statement to the paid customer.  It appears United did not do that in this case, and may have violated the government rule.

For future overbooking cases, do you think the passengers will feel safer to wait for the bid to go higher and higher before taking the offer?  Seems that is the only lawful means for airline to bump a paid customer now.

That's really the interesting part.  Good luck bumping anyone from now on for anything less than the maximum allowable by law, in cash.  Now everyone knows the maximum bid. 

shorebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2017, 12:10:59 PM »

That's really the interesting part.  Good luck bumping anyone from now on for anything less than the maximum allowable by law, in cash.  Now everyone knows the maximum bid.

And $1350 is not actually the max allowable.  It's the max airlines are REQUIRED to pay customers by law, calculated at 400% of the fare paid if the airline does not get the passenger to the destination within 2 hours of the initially scheduled arrival for domestic travel.  Airlines can still go higher if they want to avoid a FUBAR situation like United provoked at O'Hare on Sunday. 

And you can bet United is wishing they had simply sweetened their cheapskate ($800 restricted voucher for an almost 24 hour delay) offer until they got enough people to bite.  Just think of how differently this could have gone for them...

Here's the statute for those curious:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/250.5

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »
I was flying out of Dulles in DC to Portland Oregon and had time to spare so jumped at the chance for $300 offer. I had a stopover in Denver. The airline put me in a cab, drove me to Reagan where I got on a direct flight and flew first class and got home before the other flight did.

Usually I can't be flexible because I go Saturday to Sundays on vacation. Maybe when I'm retired I will take up their offers.

EmpireOfDirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »

Great summary.

As an outbound business traveler I can't imagine anyone not scheduling their flights carefully around commitments, at least domestically. Coming home, no way I'm going to delay being back with family unless there is a f***ing AWESOME deal to be had.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »

Even "last checked in", I mean if I meet the deadline where I have to check into my flight at least an hour ahead of time for my trip I booked way back when, who are they to say "oops, yeah, we said be here an hour ahead, but really we meant 3 hours ahead or we can give away your seat."  No.  I paid for a ticket, I expect to get on that plane as long as I check in by the specified time and show up to the gate before the door to the plane is closed.  They sure as hell charged me for the ticket.

I pulled one recently where (long story short) my wife and daughter and I had three round trip tickets and my wife had to come home early.  United wanted way more to change her ticket ($500 or so) than a one-way ticket cost ($300) so we just bought the extra one way ticket and left her original round trip ticket.  When my daughter and I showed up to our flight, you can bet your ass I checked my wife in too.  And then I scanned three boarding passes getting on the plane, for 2 people.  Gate attendant started to protest and I said "are you going to refund me for the extra seat?  No?  Then guess what, we're using the three seats we paid for."  And we did.  Screw them.
Well.  This was fantastic.  I would have done the same thing last summer (I delayed my trip home), except for the cost to change was $500, but the cost for the individual ticket was $800.  Blech.  (July 4 weekend)

frugalmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2017, 05:44:08 PM »
It totally depends......

A couple years ago I was in Orlando with my Mom and daughter, so 3 of us total.  They flight was over booked.  There was a large party college swim team and they all HAD to fly together.  They started offering $$ but there were not many people on the plane not in the group. 

I went and negotiated a confirmed seat for the 3 of us on the next flight.  I took $1800 in travel vouchers, plus I made them throw in a couple vouchers for airport food ($27 I think).

My daughter ran around MCO for an hour I bought her a set of action figures to entertain her and we bought lots of food that lasted throughout our day.

Sum total of our flight delay 90 minutes. 

The $1800 was enough for 3 1/2 future trips...yes all in the year, but when your not "paying" for flights a quick 3 night trip combined with hotel rewards is fun. 

The flight we were confirmed on was also overbooked.  I flew home with my daughter.  My Mom choose to take another bump--she had a good book and lots of food; and pocketed $100 cash plus $400 in vouchers.  That was a trip to visit my cousins.  They wanted to give all vouchers, but she explained she needed transportation costs when landing since I was flying. 

They only agreed to it because she had zero checked bags they needed to find.  All our checked luggage was in mine and my daughters name. 

A friend met me at the airport, we got all the luggage.  I drove home and sent a friend of my Mom's to get her.  That night everyone ate well at our house with the $100 cash. 

It was a uniquely fruitful day.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »

If I was in line with you, that would've gotten applause and a high five

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »
within 300 miles of destination: 800$ plus rental car, plus refund, plus voucher. Beyond 300 miles: 1200$ plus hotel plus upgraded seating. Assuming next flight is the next day

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2017, 06:15:59 PM »
NPR has a nice article on Game Theory relating to this situation.

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/13/523726313/how-game-theory-relates-to-airline-booking

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »

I had no idea until this fiasco that 'last checked in' was a criteria for getting bumped. I also assumed if I was there in time I was good to go. Like others have said it isn't always easy to find the time to get there hours in advance. Often for me it would involve taking an extra vacation day (instead of leaving after work). Having an entire day off to leisurely make it to the airport does not qualify as a fun vacation for me...

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
I also feel extremely sad for the couple people in this thread who were so obviously mistreated as children that they see assault in this story as an acceptable outcome.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
$1,000 cash may be OK. I had wasted vouchers twice before because I could not find a proper opportunity to use them.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »
I got $600 once plus a food voucher to get rerouted on a different airline.   It was a total of a 90 minute difference in my arrival time, it was the end of a business trip and I had flexibility to go in late the next day.  Worked great that time but generally circumstances are such that I don't have the flexibility to get in the following day.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »
I also feel extremely sad for the couple people in this thread who were so obviously mistreated as children that they see assault in this story as an acceptable outcome.

I listened to the press conference with Dao's lawyer.  Seems to be in very capable hands.  Will be watching the case attentively.  Yes, I agree that many here have a strange sense of human compassion. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!