Author Topic: What's your job title and how much do you earn?  (Read 348371 times)

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's your job title and how much do you earn?
« Reply #800 on: December 23, 2018, 10:06:10 AM »
For those who feel bad about their salary, maybe this will make you feel better.  This is my current status.

Title: Unemployed
Salary: $0 (but I can file for unemployment when my severance runs out ;)
Experience: 17 years in telecom industry
Education: BS Electrical Engineering

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #801 on: December 24, 2018, 08:04:04 PM »
For those who feel bad about their salary, maybe this will make you feel better.  This is my current status.

If you are willing to move you could be employed tomorrow (which I am sure you know.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:30:02 PM by Gronnie »

walkwalkwalk

• Stubble
« Reply #802 on: December 24, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »

If you are willing to move you could be employed tomorrow (which I am sure you know(.
There is only one Santa. and his job is taken.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: December 28, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »

If you are willing to move you could be employed tomorrow (which I am sure you know.)
Employed where?  In what job?  What company?  I think the interview process typically takes longer than a day.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #804 on: December 28, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »

Employed where?  In what job?  What company?  I think the interview process typically takes longer than a day.

I work in telecom here in MA and our company is growing at such a rate we are hiring  monthly. Would you consider relocation?

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #805 on: December 28, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »

Oh come on, I'm sure you are smart enough to realize that tomorrow was hyperbole. You are an EE with 17 years experience in the greatest time ever to be alive with those skills.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #806 on: December 28, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »

Have you considered a utility career?  My son is in the Transmission group at a large utility company in TN with a EE degree.  The people he sits next to do all the telecom work for the transmission network.  Good money, great benefits, great people.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: December 28, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »

Oh come on, I'm sure you are smart enough to realize that tomorrow was hyperbole. You are an EE with 17 years experience in the greatest time ever to be alive with those skills.
My degree may be in EE, but I haven't used my degree in the 17 years since I graduated.

M0ntana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #808 on: December 28, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »
Absolutely great thread. Happy to contribute

Title: Civil litigation attorney specialized in a narrow sub-field with little competition (Partner)
Employer: Small firm in Canadian suburban MCOL area with EWYK compensation scheme
Salary: 90-110K depending on the work I can fetch for myself (been at it for only 8 months and already seeing it grow). No benefits, insurance, nothing.
Education: B.A, J.D. from top Canadian law school
Experience: Just over 2 years post-call.

I chose a (very) unconventional path for a young lawyer, and yet I think I made the best choice possible. I set my hours, I do not have to deal with the office politics bullshit, my compensation directly correlates with the time I put in, and I (hopefully) will soon start to more freely pick my cases. This comes at the cost of compensation fluctuation, but that is the entrepreneur's dilemma.

Immey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #809 on: December 28, 2018, 05:39:09 PM »
I'm really glad I found this website! It's inspiring hearing about like minded individuals quest for FI :)

Title: Legal Research
Salary: $81000 + 15% employer mandatory contribution
Years’ experience: 7 years PQE, 6 1/2 years with same employer.
Qualification: BA, JD and Grad Dip

alpenglow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #810 on: December 28, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
Title: Case manager
Experience: 0 years and/or my entire life, depending on how you want to look at it, but less than a year on the job either way
Salary: ~41,000 currently + pension
Education: Bachelors

My husband makes about $22,000 currently + pension, with an AA, 37, less than a year on the job, but he will get more hours soon, raising it to ~$32,000 within a year or so.

Zero debt of any kind for both of us, although kind of looking to buy a house.

I'm not embarrassed about my earnings at all, but it is kind of depressing to the vast majority of people here make vastly more than that. Luckily we could almost get by on husband's salary alone (and absolutely could once his hours increase), AND we live in California, so whoopee on that at least.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #811 on: December 29, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
Title:  Regional Corporate Banker
Experience:  15 years
Salary:  $185,000, Total Compensation ~ $320,000.  (includes bonus, Restricted Stock, 401k match, Pension benefit)
Education:  Lower tier state school Bachelors

I built up the last 60k in base salary and the equity compensation by going into management and moving a couple times with the company then lateraled back into production and that has my compensation 15-30% higher than most in my field. 

ParkwayD123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #812 on: December 29, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »
Title: Military/Section Chief
Salary: $80K
Years’ experience: 13 years
Education: B.S. Occupational Safety & Health  (working on M.S in Safety Management)

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #813 on: December 29, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
Title: Corporate Training Program Manager (Nuclear)
Salary: 160k + 25% bonus
Years' experience: 30+
Education: MBA

sapphail

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #814 on: December 29, 2018, 10:39:16 PM »
Holy shiz, I need to get a better paying job.

Title: Marketing Assistant (changed careers in my early 30s, because the hospitality industry blows)
Salary: $49k base, actually earned around $53k after overtime
Years' experience: 3 (in marketing - 10 in hospo, plus a few more years of random jobs)
Education: Bachelors

MrMoneyAbsent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #815 on: December 30, 2018, 08:23:26 AM »
Technical Designer
24 years old, 4 years experience
$68k
AAS in Engineering

Grafter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #816 on: December 30, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »
chasefish - I'm curious, as so many titles are only somewhat descriptive (i.e., can have a lot of latitude to what they do), but what does a regional corporate banker do in your neck of the woods?

As for me:

Title: Senior Manager in public accounting
Salary:  Base in the low $80s, with some potential for a small bonus
Years' experience: 14ish
Education: Bachelors & Cert

PepperPotts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #817 on: December 30, 2018, 05:09:20 PM »
Title: Pediatrician, physician partner in private practice, with side-gig in telemedicine
Salary (production only): ~$235k, plus 401K match
Years' experience: 13.5 post residency (3yrs)
Education: B.S. Biology and Chemistry, M.D.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #818 on: December 30, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »
chasefish - I'm curious, as so many titles are only somewhat descriptive (i.e., can have a lot of latitude to what they do), but what does a regional corporate banker do in your neck of the woods?

Loans for larger privately held companies, typically up to half a billion in revenue.  Its an all emcompassing title, even though there's some team help for each piece of it.  Business development, putting a deal together (finding something mutually acceptable between the Bank and a client), grinding it through to closing, then managing the credit risk on an on-going basis.  We also are responsible for doing the treasury services and finding other fee based revenue opportunities for the bank. 

I built up my salary running a team doing the same thing but to companies with sales under $100mil then lateraled into this job.   Going rate is probably closer to $150k base plus equity/bonus driving it to $250k.

We get a few accountants who like providing financing better :)

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: January 04, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »

I work in telecom here in MA and our company is growing at such a rate we are hiring  monthly. Would you consider relocation?
I would consider relocation, but I'm not wild about moving somewhere cold.  I just sent you a PM.  Thanks.

ThriftyTechie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #820 on: January 05, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
Title: Software Engineer in Test
Salary: $315k base + options + insurance + 401(k) match + fringe benefits = ~$350k total comp
Experience: 12 years
Education: College drop-out (100+ units completed)
While $350k total comp is not uncommon for senior software engineers, I’ve never heard of $300k+ base. I’d love to have less of my comp tied to the company stock. Where do you work? Netflix?

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #821 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »
Salary: $315k base + options + insurance + 401(k) match + fringe benefits = ~$350k total comp
Wow that’s just plain silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is pretty standard in the Seattle area, I would say that is average for 10 years of experience. I am not sure why there is this false impression that you have to go to school and be a math genius to do software engineering. I got a few books from the library and learned for free on the internet and learned most of the skills on the job. I think I have 8th grade math skills, and if I need something math heavy I just ask someone to help. The only hard part was getting thru interviews and networking.
That is not average for 10 years experience. Salary averages in software on sites like Glassdoor or Payscale show this not to be the case. Now, this is the average if you've made it to a senior role at a FAANG or equivalent. And that means you're a top 5% engineer. But software engineering really only averages about 20% more than most other engineers. A software engineer with 10 years experience would otherwise normally be making ~120k.

Some people make rockstar money in software, but it's a false impression from all the press that Big Tech gets. If you aren't working at Google, you won't be making 250k+ as an engineer. This guy is either a very high level of engineer or works for a big name, and probably both.

I do not work at a FANG company. Glassdoor does not give accurate total compensation for my industry which is frustrating as I cannot easily comparison shop companies. I have to use anonymous apps like blind to figure out what everyone makes real world. Nearly everyone in my cohort when I got hired is making the same (or more!) then me. i feel I am just above average compared to 100s of others I work with and we have enough rapport to talk about salaries. I can tell you, most are not rock stars, they are mostly average. They are good of course, but very few are changing the world. At my company, if you do not move into a senior role in about 8 years, you usually are kicked to the curb, so there is some filtering going on. The over 300k base is high, but with bonuses and perks, you will make crazy money in the seattle area if you want to and you do not need a degree (but it does help). Networking is MUCH more valuable then a degree.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:20:36 AM by effigy98 »

Cornel_Westside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #822 on: January 07, 2019, 12:00:56 PM »
I do not work at a FANG company. Glassdoor does not give accurate total compensation for my industry which is frustrating as I cannot easily comparison shop companies. I have to use anonymous apps like blind to figure out what everyone makes real world. Nearly everyone in my cohort when I got hired is making the same (or more!) then me. i feel I am just above average compared to 100s of others I work with and we have enough rapport to talk about salaries. I can tell you, most are not rock stars, they are mostly average. They are good of course, but very few are changing the world. At my company, if you do not move into a senior role in about 8 years, you usually are kicked to the curb, so there is some filtering going on. The over 300k base is high, but with bonuses and perks, you will make crazy money in the seattle area if you want to and you do not need a degree (but it does help). Networking is MUCH more valuable then a degree.
Wow. I went on Blind and did some research. Some people there still say that Blind is a bubble of the particularly well compensated and most people there are at FB/G/Uber, etc, but you have more knowledge than me. If these salaries really are commonplace in the Seattle area for 10 YOE, that's incredible. It really makes me wish I had known the relative difference in pay now between ME and CS majors when I was in college. Back then everyone thought all programmers would be outsourced to India and China in 5 years.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:33:38 PM by Cornel_Westside »

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #823 on: January 23, 2019, 08:35:09 PM »
Job Title: Requirements Engineer at a software company
Salary: $70 K.   Company 401(k) match: 4%.  No bonuses
Weekly hours: 40-42. 17 days of vacation, no rollover from year to year; 10 company holidays
Experience: 19 years
Education: M.S. Plant Breeding and Genetics,  PMP certification,  ACS ALS credentials from Toastmasters International

I started life as a molecular biologist, followed by computer programmer, followed by a project manager, followed by a layoff.  My current position is the post-layoff position and represents 40% salary cut from my previous job; on the plus side, I was without a paycheck for only three weeks, which allowed me to invest the severance pay and accelerate FI.  I've been on my current job for 6 months.  I'm working on increasing responsibilities and probing ways to get a raise

Update! 
Job Title: IT Project Manager at a not-for-profit medical certification board
Salary: $95 K.   Company 401(k) match: 10%.  No bonuses
Weekly hours: 40-42. 15 days of vacation, year-to-year rollover allowed until 28 days; 13 company holidays

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: January 23, 2019, 08:54:20 PM »
Job Title: Barrister (Australian equivalent of trial lawyer)
Salary: no fixed salary; weekly earnings vary from $0 to $15,000 but on average about $7,000 a week; after expenses and chambers rent, about $5,500 a week; after GST and income tax etc, about $3,000 a week
Weekly hours: I work about 50 hours per week on average. In truth, weeks are either easy (35 hours) or hard (60+ hours).
Vacation: potentially unlimited
Experience: 7 years
Education: BComm. LLB (Hons)

Unfortunately, all figures given above are AUD
$100k AUD = $70k USD
in terms of buying power, given that food, cars, electricity, houses and just about everything is more expensive, I'd say in truth $100k AUD = $60k USD in purchasing power parity. (The thing is, we are much more generous on the poor, who have subsidised everything, and generous welfare. But for above-average earners, it's a lot harder to live a nice lifestyle here.)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #825 on: January 23, 2019, 09:12:43 PM »
Title: Process Engineer
Compensation:  started in 1996 at $45k, currently $195k plus bonus, 401k match, pension, great health insurance, good vacation and flexible hours, good work environment with lots of fringe benefits (details might compromise my precious internet anonymity)
Years’ experience: 23 years (already?  seems like less...)
Education: B.S. ChE

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #826 on: January 24, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
Research Associate at a uni. Pay depends on how much the lab hires you at so can range from 30-110K. 45-60 is typical for someone like me (2-3 years as a professional with at least as much time in as a tech).
Experience to get in: PhD or MS+3 yrs or BS +7 yr. Degrees must be in the field requested by the job advert. There is no experience-based pay adjustments once you get your foot in; pay is 90% about negotiation.

Update.
Still same employer and I have the same job title but moved to a different lab in order to make $10k more.
Title: Research Associate
Salary: $56k @ 40hr and $6k in free tuition (>90% untaxed). I taught a course last year and made an extra $10k. Fully paid basic health insurance.
Education: MS, PhD in the works

After the doctorate I could make $70-80k if I move up my job series or as a post-doc (side bar: My supervisor is trying to get me in to post-doc at a national lab where I could make $110k). Not looking for tenure-track but that could be $110k-ish to start.
 My main emphasis in my doctoral studies is to improve my programming skills.  At this point, I could put those to work in the private sector and make $70-80k today. Many of the jobs prefer working local however and tend to be in places like San Fran.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:22:53 AM by JZinCO »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #827 on: January 24, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »

That is pretty standard in the Seattle area, I would say that is average for 10 years of experience. I am not sure why there is this false impression that you have to go to school and be a math genius to do software engineering. I got a few books from the library and learned for free on the internet and learned most of the skills on the job. I think I have 8th grade math skills, and if I need something math heavy I just ask someone to help. The only hard part was getting thru interviews and networking.
That is not average for 10 years experience. Salary averages in software on sites like Glassdoor or Payscale show this not to be the case. Now, this is the average if you've made it to a senior role at a FAANG or equivalent. And that means you're a top 5% engineer. But software engineering really only averages about 20% more than most other engineers. A software engineer with 10 years experience would otherwise normally be making ~120k.

Some people make rockstar money in software, but it's a false impression from all the press that Big Tech gets. If you aren't working at Google, you won't be making 250k+ as an engineer. This guy is either a very high level of engineer or works for a big name, and probably both.

Is that specifically in software dev?  I am an infrastructure guy making 1/3 of that right outside of Manhattan..

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #828 on: January 24, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
Title: Data Analyst
Salary: $56k
Experience: ~3 years
Education: B.A. in Economics

Steveray7071

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #829 on: January 24, 2019, 12:14:13 PM »
Title: Program Manager
Salary: $136K plus bonus (7-12% @ end of year, performance-based) & 10% 401K match = ~165K
Years’ experience: 12 years
Education: B.S. Manufacturing Engineering, PMP Cert

roscoeman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
Title: Technical Writer
Salary: $121K plus OT (averaging 14-18K per year) and a performance based bonus (5-10%)
Years’ experience: 12 years
Education: B.S. Aeronautics

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #831 on: February 10, 2019, 09:27:21 AM »
Job Title: Requirements Engineer at a software company
Salary: $70 K.   Company 401(k) match: 4%.  No bonuses
Weekly hours: 40-42. 17 days of vacation, no rollover from year to year; 10 company holidays
Experience: 19 years
Education: M.S. Plant Breeding and Genetics,  PMP certification,  ACS ALS credentials from Toastmasters International

I started life as a molecular biologist, followed by computer programmer, followed by a project manager, followed by a layoff.  My current position is the post-layoff position and represents 40% salary cut from my previous job; on the plus side, I was without a paycheck for only three weeks, which allowed me to invest the severance pay and accelerate FI.  I've been on my current job for 6 months.  I'm working on increasing responsibilities and probing ways to get a raise

Update! 
Job Title: IT Project Manager at a not-for-profit medical certification board
Salary: $95 K.   Company 401(k) match: 10%.  No bonuses
Weekly hours: 40-42. 15 days of vacation, year-to-year rollover allowed until 28 days; 13 company holidays

Another update!  This is an illustration of career progression that can happen to those who lost their livelihood to layoffs or "rightsizing".  Keep your chin up, people!
Job Title: Systems Operations Manager at a not-for-profit medical certification board;  Yep, a promotion announced two days ago
Salary: $103 K.   Company 401(k) match as in the last update.
Weekly hours: 40-45 including on-call rotation every 5 weeks.  Vacation and holidays as in the last update.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #832 on: February 10, 2019, 06:56:25 PM »
Title: Inside Sales Manager (Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings / aka Construction Industry)
Salary: $52k Base + $36k Commission Bonus (Been a great year) = $88k Total
Experience: 9 years in this industry, but not necessary for this job.
Education: High School Diploma Required, Cert in CAD a bonus, Associates Degree in Drafting a Bonus, Bachelors Degree (unrelated field) a bonus and not needed.  Could be done with ambition and a HS diploma only.

What I'm learning from this thread is there is no reason not to reach higher.  Only a few years ago I thought 38k a year was par for the course...  Way too many ways to make money in the US to restrict yourself to a low salary (unless you choose to do so for your own personal reasons / job fulfillment in Education or Social Services, etc).

Also don't believe the BS that employers spit out about how much you can/should/will make.  They have no incentive to pay you more-  job hop or demand more to get it. If you aren't making 10% to 25% annual raises in your (first) 5 to 10 year career window, your employer isn't keeping you up with the industry.  In almost any industry.  Period.

Great thread.

Update, Had a job offer from another company for an outside sales position.  Work found out and gave me a healthy bump.  Re-highlighted above (relevant) post...  ;)

Title: Inside Sales Manager (Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings / aka Construction Industry)
Salary: $68.5k Base + $36k Commission Bonus (Been a great year) = $104.5k Total
Experience: 9 years in this industry, but not necessary for this job.
Education: High School Diploma Required, Cert in CAD a bonus, Associates Degree in Drafting a Bonus, Bachelors Degree (unrelated field) a bonus and not needed.  Could be done with ambition and a HS diploma only.

Don't doubt jobs in the trades, peeps.  It can pay quite well.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #833 on: February 11, 2019, 02:56:27 AM »
Title: Admin (Legal)
Salary: $66k + pension + health insurance + 25 paid vacation days; 38-hr workweek
Experience: 17y (on and off, several companies)
Education: BA English, unfinished MA Translation Studies, 1yr accelerated Secretary training

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #834 on: April 11, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »
My Job Title: SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 1 year
Education: BS in Computer Science
Salary: 72k + ~10% bonus + $750 HSA contribution + 2.5% 401k match + whatever ESPP ends up being worth

Cost of living from this chart is 99.2/100, so very average cost of living area.

Started at 71k, got a raise a couple months in as a thanks for being awesome ;)

My manager says I will be getting a promotion in the next round (February) even though it typically takes 3-4 years. Should come with about a 10% raise.

The work environment is awesome. Really laid back and supportive. Take as much vacation as you want policy with no keeping track of work, sick, and vacation hours, etc. I would have to get a super big raise to consider working elsewhere.

DW Job Title: RN
Salary: ~70k + small pension + 2% 403b match
Experience: 5 years
Education: BS in Dietetics, BS in Nursing

She started out getting a degree in dietetics but that didn't work out due to requiring an internship to get certified and there not being enough to go around (something that if she had known me prior to starting the program she would have thoroughly looked into and chosen something different or studied harder). Went back after the Dietetics degree and did an accelerated BSN program and now is very happy.

Updating because I just got a promotion and a 15% raise!!!!

My Job Title: Senior SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 1.5 years
Salary: $83,000 + 10% bonus target + $750 HSA contribution + 3% 401k match + whatever ESPP ends up being worth
San Francisco Salary: $198,578 (my city is 101.4 on CoL Index)

Was a weird year. We bought out another big company, my project got cancelled and we were in flux for awhile, and then my manager quit abruptly and it took 6+ months to replace him.

Only got a 3.5% raise this year, but also was granted ~$17k in RSUs that vest over 4 years. Not sure what to think of the golden handcuffs, will have to cross that bridge if I ever think about leaving.

My Job Title: Senior SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 2.5 years
Salary: $~86,000 + 10% bonus target + $750 HSA contribution + 3% 401k match + ~$17k RSU + whatever ESPP ends up being worth

Just took a job with a new company (along with a nice promotion), and will be moving from a MCOL area with a COL score of 99.2 to a HCOL area with a COL score of 146.4 (MN to Orange County, scores from this chart).

I think I am doing pretty well, as the job is 3 promotions above entry level out of college position and I only have 3.5 years of experience. This job would normally take 8+ years of experience to reach. As a result I am pretty sure my salary is near the lower end of the band, so plenty of room for growth even if I don't get any further promotions for a few years.

My Job Title: Staff SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 3.5 years
Salary: $135000 + 10% bonus target + $4000 401k match + ~26k RSU + whatever ESPP ends up being worth (15% discount, two year lock, can put in 15% of salary) -- I would say financial compensation is ~$175,000 annually.

Just got a raise, which was nice as I was only here ~6 months when review time came and wasn't sure I would get one. Ended up getting 4% raise bringing my base salary to $140,400.

Our stock is also doing quite nicely and is up 46% since our ESPP lock so if it stays up for the next couple of years should be getting a nice return on ESPP shares.

My biggest regret about taking this job (going from flexible "unlimited" vacation policy to 3 weeks vacation policy) was also recently rectified as the new company has now also adopted flexible vacation.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:02:05 PM by Gronnie »

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #835 on: April 11, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
UPDATE

Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Salary: $125,673 + 3% 401k match.
Experience: 19 years (total, 10 in my current industry)
Education: BS in Mechanical Engineering + MBA

New job:

Salary: 135k
Bonus: 8-12%
401k match: 4%
1% match if i buy 2% in company stocks
3 weeks pto+1 week sick+ office closed between xmas and ny (previous 4 weeks pto)

volleyballer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #836 on: April 11, 2019, 09:25:57 PM »
Hello MMM forum! I am a long time lurker, and have posted a couple dozen times under a different handle. I created this new handle to be more anonymous when sharing salary data, etc.

Process Engineer
Education: BS Chemical Engineering, MBA
Experience: 13 years (10 with current company), PE License
Salary: $78,000 (just received promotion, was low 70’s). 3.5% 401k match. Company wide $250 holiday bonus (seems to go down each year…). Recent bonus for milestone anniversary.
PTO: 24 days /yr (for both sick time and vacation).

I work for a medium sized engineering firm. My work includes process design for industrial wastewater, groundwater remediation, chemical plant, and oil and gas pipeline. Great boss. Usually 40 hour workweek. Travel is < 10%, although I like some travel. The actual process engineering / technical work, which I enjoy, is fairly light. I end up coordinating the design work of other engineering disciplines for design projects, which I enjoy much less.

They say comparison is the thief of joy. I can’t help but think I am missing the boat on my career when I see the engineer salaries posted here, especially the folks in Houston. I would love to hear from the ChemE’s on the forum on their career paths!

Edit: Added PTO time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:28:36 PM by volleyballer »

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #837 on: April 12, 2019, 05:36:43 AM »
We're both at late in life new careers as we spent 14 years having fun without making much money in a resort area. 

Me - Staffing Manager for large life sciences company
$99k plus bonus (average $8-$12k), 5% 401k match, 4 weeks vacation, good benefits, work from home so very flexible but often stressful
BA Liberal Arts
8 years experience, but I'm 47

DH - Territory Manager for large CPG company
$75k plus bonus (average $8-$10k), 9% 401k match, company car, with unlimited use, 3 weeks vacation, good benefits, work from home/on the road, but very low stress
No degree
8 years experience, but he's 52

Kind of sad to see how little our bases have changed in almost two years, but neither of us wanted to change jobs so close to FIRE.  In the past, I've been willing to put up with a crap ton of nonsense because my job is flexible and I work from home.  It made such a different with kids at home and not having a chaotic home life.  For now, we're so close to FIRE that not caring if I get terminated has also been incredibly freeing. 

Me - Senior Staffing Manager for an offshore consulting company
$110k plus bonus ($10k last year, guaranteed $25k this year), 3% 401k match, 4 weeks vacation, crap benefits, work from home so very flexible but often stressful (much less stressful as I try to embrace "good enough")
BA Liberal Arts

DH - Territory Manager for large CPG company
$80k plus bonus (average $8k), 9% 401k match, ESPP match, $1k HSA funding, company car with unlimited use, 3 weeks vacation, good benefits, work from home/on the road, moderately low stress (would be even lower if he could just embrace "good enough")
No degree

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #838 on: April 12, 2019, 06:08:00 AM »
Wow, when I see the numbers you guys are posting I get a feeling of disgruntlement. Fortunately, it went away pretty fast when I realised that my location has some advantages to compensate the salary. (as in, I don't have to speak english all day :P)

Current salary: around 37k
Job: Systems administrator for a non-profit organisation (in the low-rent social housing sector, we're worth about 2bln because we own about 30k residential units and appartment complexes)
Experience: 20 years, job specific 5 years (I moved up the chain 5 years ago, after getting certification paid for by the boss)

Also a pension deposit is done with every paycheck (if I keep working here, my net salary after retiring will be as high as my current salary)
20 days per year paid leave
1st year of sickness 100% paid, 2nd year 70% (with a bump to 90% if I work at least 50% of my contractual hours as rehab)
3 months per child of unpaid leave, can be one day per week of all at once and everything in between if the boss agrees (and I have 2 kids of relevant age)
Several options to pay gross salary for net cost (like buying extra PTO, bike plan which effectively makes the bike 40% cheaper and more)
I also get 19ct per kilometer of travel, whether by car, bike or walking :P

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #839 on: April 12, 2019, 06:51:50 AM »
Title: Software Engineer/Mobile App Developer
Pay: $76k + bonus ($5k this year) + ~$2.5k annual HSA contribution + 4% 401k match
Education: BS Computer Science

I work remotely in a relatively LCOL area. My company is in the process of setting up a stock options program and I have been told that I will be receiving options, but I have no idea when or how many or what they will be worth.

I also receive about $3k/year in residual income from an app I developed on the side a few years back. I have neglected it for far too long but I hope to expand that income stream this year by releasing a significant upgrade and moving to a freemium pricing model.

Update:

I still work for the same company and live in the same LCOL area, but now I'm managing the mobile apps team. I have ~10 engineers reporting to me and spend about 50% of my time on management and 50% writing code.

Pay: $123k base + 10% target bonus + 3% 401k match (yes, the match went down)
Experience: ~7 years

I also now make about $10-15k annually from the app I mentioned previously.

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #840 on: April 12, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »
I thought it would be useful to get an idea of peoples job titles and salary.

It should provide guidance of rough salary expectations for those of us seeking new professions in order to ramp up our savings.

Me first:

Job Title: Digital Marketing Executive
Salary: £31,000/ $46,910 (Inc. £2000 performance related bonus - hit every quarter so far)
Years’ experience: 4 years (1.5yrs working for myself + 2.5 years working in-house).

Now, it’s your turn!

Sam

Curious to know how you got starting working for yourself and what you would recommend to others looking to do the same?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #841 on: April 14, 2019, 07:10:06 AM »
Title: Software Engineer/Mobile App Developer
Pay: $76k + bonus ($5k this year) + ~$2.5k annual HSA contribution + 4% 401k match
Education: BS Computer Science

I work remotely in a relatively LCOL area. My company is in the process of setting up a stock options program and I have been told that I will be receiving options, but I have no idea when or how many or what they will be worth.

I also receive about $3k/year in residual income from an app I developed on the side a few years back. I have neglected it for far too long but I hope to expand that income stream this year by releasing a significant upgrade and moving to a freemium pricing model.

Update:

I still work for the same company and live in the same LCOL area, but now I'm managing the mobile apps team. I have ~10 engineers reporting to me and spend about 50% of my time on management and 50% writing code.

Pay: $123k base + 10% target bonus + 3% 401k match (yes, the match went down)
Experience: ~7 years

I also now make about $10-15k annually from the app I mentioned previously.

Awesome update, congrats! Curious about the app you developed and pricing model, if you might be willing to share more details.

triple7stash

• Stubble
    • Pension Prologue
« Reply #842 on: April 18, 2019, 12:31:32 PM »
Job Title: Associate Governmental Program Analyst, State of California, U.S.
Salary: ~60k + Pension & Benefits
Experience: 2.5 Years (Started out at ~30k first year)
Education: Not required, but allows you to enter at a higher salary and promote based off your degree (instead of meeting time based experience requirements).

OliveFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #843 on: April 18, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Salary: $154,000 + 6% 401K match+ 10% employer contribution to a different retirement account (no employee contribution required) +  25% of base salary bonus based company performance + 35% Long Term Incentive bonus with 3 year vesting period + ESPP with 50% match on shares held for two years.
Experience: 2.5 Years (my position required 5 - 7 but I weaseled my way in )
Education: Bachelors + JD
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:32:58 PM by OliveFI »

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #844 on: April 19, 2019, 10:07:26 AM »
Title: Mechanical Engineer I
Salary: ~81k + bonus ~5k or so. Also getting $10k/year to take classes for my MBA.
Experience: 4.5 years
Education: Bachelors of Mech. Eng., MBA (In progress, started while working here)

Wife:
Title: Staff Pharmacist (retail)
Salary: ~125k + small bonus (~2k) + small stock bonus (~4k)
Education: Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) ~6 years of school

Updating:

Title: Process Engineer (switched companies, now in a mid-size biotechnology company)
Salary: 93K + ~10K Bonus + ~5-10k in stock options (not grants)
Experience ~7-8 years
Education: BS Mechanical Engineering, MBA (graduating in December)

I should probably be considered a 'Senior' Engineer at this point, but we don't really have that organizational structure defined yet, haha.

Wife:
Title: Staff Pharmacist (retail)
Salary: 134K + ~4K bonus
Experience: 6 years
Education: Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)

More updates - MBA is done and new job, Medical Device industry.

Title: Lead Engineer (~7 direct reports)
Salary: 120K + 5-10K bonus
Experience ~8 years
Education: BS Mechanical Engineering, MBA

Wife is unchanged.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #845 on: April 19, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
Salary: $154,000 + 6% 401K match+ 10% employer contribution to a different retirement account (no employee contribution required) +  25% of base salary bonus based company performance + 35% Long Term Incentive bonus with 3 year vesting period + ESPP with 50% match on shares held for two years.

Just curious how many hours on average you work per week?

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #846 on: April 19, 2019, 12:29:52 PM »
Title: Senior Consultant (Though my work is really Software Testing)
Compensation: 89K salary (6% 401k match, though it is only disbursed at the end of the year)
Experience: 7 years
Education: BBA in Computer Information Systems

been a while but thought I should update. In the same position as before, though we are doing more automated testing than manual.

Title: Senior Consultant (Though my work is really automated software development and testing)
Compensation: 102K salary (6% 401k match, though it is only disbursed at the end of the year)
Experience: 10 years
Education: BBA in Computer Information Systems
Vacation: Company gives 3 weeks PTO, 12 holidays, and hopefully using the 12 weeks of paternity leave this October!

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #847 on: April 19, 2019, 08:18:59 PM »

Is that specifically in software dev?  I am an infrastructure guy making 1/3 of that right outside of Manhattan..

Yes or a software developer in test (they mostly do automation), the funny thing is we are probably underpaid now. The FANGs have increased total compensation by a lot in my area and my company has not yet. I have a feeling we will get a big bump this year for retention. Seattle area is a very hot software developer job market right now and very unusual probably.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:21:08 PM by effigy98 »

Baboo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #848 on: April 20, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »
Administrative Specialist w/ State government
$55k salary
Health Benefits, 30 year retirement (26 of which I have in)
High School diploma
Will retire with full pension at age 49

OliveFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #849 on: April 22, 2019, 07:42:12 AM »

Just curious how many hours on average you work per week?

I work around 40 hours a week. Every once in a while it'll be around 50 + travel. My office is in the U.S. but the company is Scandinavian. So the work life balance reflects that culture.