Author Topic: What's your job title and how much do you earn?  (Read 348351 times)

texxan1

• Stubble
Re: What's your job title and how much do you earn?
« Reply #750 on: November 04, 2018, 12:26:37 AM »
Oil and Gas Professional (construction)
Base Salary $174200
Bonus 12% of gross
international Premium $95,500
3 paid travel days a month
Company paid business class flights
52k this year so far in side gigs

putting every penny into 401k (7% match) and after tax, then whats left goes into Vanguard account.

Living off my rental income from my primary residence (2800 a month) while im abroad.

ALL to chance come January lol, but it was a great gig while it lasted...

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #751 on: November 04, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
There are a lot of benefits to this thread, especially for younger readers, and I'm glad it exists. However, as a middle aged someone who didn't always make the right choice, it can be hard to read sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Just realize that:

1)  This forum, in general, is popular among the higher educated and higher salaried
2)  There is likely a response bias here where those who earn more money are happy to brag, while those who earn less keep quiet

FIRE_Buckeye

• Stubble
« Reply #752 on: November 04, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »
Figured I'd post to offer a contrasting data point to those acting like teachers make an unreasonably high amount for what they do.

Title: Senior Financial Analyst
Salary: ~75k + ~10% bonus + 6% 401k match + 4 weeks vacation
Experience: 6 years (3.5 at current employer)
Education: BA Accounting, CPA

Wife
Title: Elementary School Teacher (1st grade)
Salary: ~45k (public school in a non-unionized state)
Experience: 4 years
Education: BA, MA Early Childhood Education

Wife works more hours in a much more stressful environment for just over half of what I'm lucky enough to make, so the people claiming teachers are overpaid for what they do really just make me cringe.

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #753 on: November 04, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
Figured I'd post to offer a contrasting data point to those acting like teachers make an unreasonably high amount for what they do.

Title: Senior Financial Analyst
Salary: ~75k + ~10% bonus + 6% 401k match + 4 weeks vacation
Experience: 6 years (3.5 at current employer)
Education: BA Accounting, CPA

Wife
Title: Elementary School Teacher (1st grade)
Salary: ~45k (public school in a non-unionized state)
Experience: 4 years
Education: BA, MA Early Childhood Education

Wife works more hours in a much more stressful environment for just over half of what I'm lucky enough to make, so the people claiming teachers are overpaid for what they do really just make me cringe.
I do think that teachers are highly paid for the relative stress and crazy awesome flexibility and time off they have. I would take less pay for literally every single holiday off(even non traditional holidays)no after hours mandating, and then just random days off for no apparent reason and the whole summer off to work a side hustle or just relax. Short work days, Oh the life
 Go to millionaire educator  website and you can read how teaching can get you to FI very quickly if you are smart about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #754 on: November 04, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
Base Salary $174200
Bonus 12% of gross

putting every penny into 401k (7% match) and after tax, then whats left goes into Vanguard account.

Living off my rental income from my primary residence (2800 a month) while im abroad.

Wow way to go! I did some traveling to Texas in 13’ for work and met some oil guys that were doing really well.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #755 on: November 05, 2018, 05:37:15 AM »
Not sure whether the sample of respondants is representative of the forum population, but the average income seems to be well above the US national average... which could simply prove that mustachians are disciples of self improvement, and as a result command higher level of remuneration... or simply more college educated (hence the familiarity w finance matters in general) commanding higher wages...

Just an observation really.

Job title: Finance employee  - I work for a small company and my boss doesn't like fancy job titles
Degree: LLB
Experience: 4 years (in finance)
Salary: €34500 / fulltime before taxes with 5 weeks of paid leave and paid leave on all official holidays. No pension. Contractual bonus if the company makes an x amount of profit: €2640/fulltime before taxes

In my country, this is a pretty good salary for someone with my age, experience and degree. Average income is about €36500 with 4 weeks of paid leave, so to be able to earn that average income with only a few years experience in your field is quite good.

Job title: Payroll Administrator
Degree: LLB, going to school for LLM and payroll certification.
Experience: 5 years (in this field)
Salary: €38000/fulltime before taxes, 5 weeks paid leave, employer pays 2,5% pension, no bonus anymore. Employer pays payroll certification as well.

New job, nice step in the right direction. Pay is slightly higher but the benefits and career opportunities are much better.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #756 on: November 05, 2018, 07:34:51 AM »
Base Salary $174200
Bonus 12% of gross

What's your side gig?

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #757 on: November 05, 2018, 09:30:34 AM »
I do think that teachers are highly paid for the relative stress and crazy awesome flexibility and time off they have. I would take less pay for literally every single holiday off(even non traditional holidays)no after hours mandating, and then just random days off for no apparent reason and the whole summer off to work a side hustle or just relax. Short work days, Oh the life
 Go to millionaire educator  website and you can read how teaching can get you to FI very quickly if you are smart about it.

Why not become a teacher then?

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #758 on: November 05, 2018, 10:06:21 AM »

I know right there are so many positives! I’m trying to convince my younger brother to become a teacher. He is good with kids, patient, and really enjoys lots of extracurricular activities.
 For me it would mean going backward as it would involve going back to school when I’m already close to FI. Plus I currently love my job. It’s always an option long term.

El_Mariachi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #759 on: November 15, 2018, 12:20:40 PM »
Mechanical Engineer
Base Salary $89000
$10k company stock
unlimited PTO

experience 10 years
education BSME

wife:
part time side hustler on craigslist/online stores

we are saving maybe ~25-30% right now but trying to work that up
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:22:34 PM by El_Mariachi »

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #760 on: November 16, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »

I work part-time in a marketing position (from home - family business). Make around 20K gross with a ridiculously flexible schedule (work whenever I want). I'm 41 with two kids aged 12 and 9.

DH:
Senior Big Data Engineer
Salary 140K
7-8% profit sharing to 401k every year
5 weeks of vacation
42 years old
20 years experience
BS in MIS

gardevoir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #761 on: November 18, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
Title: Primary ICT Teacher (I'd prefer Primary Computer Science Teacher)
Experience: 1 year teaching in U.K. (10 years teaching English in Japan)
Salary: £24,859

Very new to this lifestyle. Living in rented accommodation. Predict saving 50% of my net salary. Potential savings in the near future include food budget and getting rid of my car. Longer term, perhaps buying property to live in and also rent.

Have had my head in the sand regarding personal finance and am so glad to have discovered this community.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #762 on: November 18, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
Title: Project Manager
Salary: 72,800. 3 weeks vacation.
Exp: 10+ years in construction, engineering, and architectural firms working my way up from the bottom.
Education: Associates Degree in Architectural Engineering.

Title: Flooring Installer
Compensation: $25-$30/hr. $300-$500/day
Exp: 20+ years. father owned a flooring business. Brother owns a flooring business. Grew up in the field and still take weekends gigs here and there for brother, coworkers, and friends when time allows it.

Title: PT Inventory/home theater sales at best buy
Compensation: $15/hr.
Exp: ~3 months. GF works here FT so I offered to help during holidays and until baby is due in Feb to absorb as much income as possible.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #763 on: December 03, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
Just got a raise I didn’t ask for, so figured I would update.

Industrial Construction (Management/Contractor)
Associates Degree
10 years Experience
30 years old
$850/day (day rate) / $980/wk per diem (tax free) / $500/mo travel allowance (tax free) / 5% 401k match fully vested from Day 1

Next year I’ll likely be bumping up to 6 days a week as project work picks up, and should close in on $300k at the end of the year. Beings a lot is tax free it’s goes a bit further.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:22:16 PM by use2betrix »

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #764 on: December 04, 2018, 07:16:51 PM »
Title: Receptionist for two hotels and spa all owned by the same owner
Salary: $18k aprox.
Hours: 35 to 20 a week. I was getting full time but with winter I've been at about 20hrs a week.
Education: An Associates in Graphic Design and an Associates in Visual Arts

I live in rural Michigan. I actually make decent money for someone my age in my area. I try to do Graphic Design/Art related work from home but I haven't made any money from it. I've been thinking of looking more into Upwork.

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #765 on: December 05, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »
Small Business Owner
Salary:  $500k - $700k
Education:  High School and College Dropout

Cornel_Westside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #766 on: December 05, 2018, 12:09:03 PM »
Me:
Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Salary: $105k + Quarterly Bonus (usually 2-3k each time) + 3% 401k match.
Experience: 7 years
Education: BS in Mechanical Engineering

Partner:
Title: Project Manager
Salary: $85k
Experience: 6 years
Education: BS in Cognitive Science

We have pretty good salaries for our experience levels and ages, but both of us have very good educations. Mine is from a top 10 engineering school and hers is from a top school for CogSci. She is honestly underpaid - she has a few years of Program Manager experience and she could easily find a better job but she wants to change industries.

DeadGuitarGod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #767 on: December 05, 2018, 01:16:09 PM »
Extra long-time reader/lurker...first-time poster. 

Me:
Title: Marketing Manager
Experience: 20.5 Years (at the same company...6.5 years at previous company before that)
Salary: $61,000 plus $9,000 bonus this year
Education: BA: English/Tech Writing  BA: Communications

More Info:  My job is very low-stress, working for a family-owned manufacturing company.  I started as a Tech Writer, and have held a wide variety of positions in my time here.  In the immediate future, I can see an upward path to VP level (most likely in the next few years as the old guard here continues to retire).

Wife:
Title: Secretary at State Facility
Experience: (4 years at this position - over 15 years in television/non-profit before this)
Salary: $21,000 (very low-paying state government position).
Education: BS: Psychology BS: Radio/TV/Film

More Info:  My wife was laid off in 2014 due to new leadership making an "across the board change", and has been "holding" on her current position every since, so that she can spend more time with our son (her job pays peanuts, but has zero stress and set-in-stone M-F 8am-4pm hours). 

Her previous position at the Director level in the non-profit world paid considerably more, but kept her away from home for most of the first five years of our son's life.  At this point, it is a good trade-off for such a low salary.  She plans to search for a different position (with much higher compensation) in 2019.

Summary: We live in a very low-cost of living area, and salaries here reflect this.

This is a cool thread!

BiggerFishToFI

• Stubble
« Reply #768 on: December 05, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »
Title: Electrical / Controls Engineer
Salary: ~82k base + ~8k straight time overtime + ~20-35% bonus + 5% 401k match + 2 weeks vacation + work from home / flexible hours
Experience: 7 years
Education: BSME

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #769 on: December 05, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
Salary: $122k + 3% 401k match.
Experience: 19 years (total, 10 in my current industry)
Education: BS in Mechanical Engineering + MBA

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #770 on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
Title: PhD candidate
Experience: <1 year
Salary: €32k

Made it through the first year of my PhD, so I got a raise!

Title: PhD candidate
Experience: 1 year
Salary: €37k

rob in cal

• Bristles
« Reply #771 on: December 06, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
    title: pizza delivery driver
         experience: 20 years
         Salary, after driving expenses: somewhere in the 40,000's

also, investment income from restaurant ownership, stocks, Reit etc, somewhere in the 30,000s in a typical year, counting an average historical year of stock market growth.

Overspray

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #772 on: December 07, 2018, 07:00:05 AM »
Title: Industrial Painter
Experience required: Who knows
Education: Trade School
Compensation: $23.70/hr, regular overtime (averages 56hrs/wk), 401k with match. FSA accounts, health/dental/vision covered at 100%

I have a decade of experience at this point, doing lots and lots of different jobs in the paint world.  I’m a very humble guy as far as my skill set is concerned, but even I know that I’m overqualified for this position. But with the benefits and trying to maximize everything for FI, this is a pretty decent place to hang my hat for a while.  I can’t wait to FIRE my boss though.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #773 on: December 07, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
Title: Industrial Painter
Experience required: Who knows
Education: Trade School
Compensation: $23.70/hr, regular overtime (averages 56hrs/wk), 401k with match. FSA accounts, health/dental/vision covered at 100%

I have a decade of experience at this point, doing lots and lots of different jobs in the paint world.  I’m a very humble guy as far as my skill set is concerned, but even I know that I’m overqualified for this position. But with the benefits and trying to maximize everything for FI, this is a pretty decent place to hang my hat for a while.  I can’t wait to FIRE my boss though.

Have you considered getting some NACE certifications and moving towards a career as an inspector? I know some NACE level III’s that have made nearly $1k/day as contractors in oil & gas.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #774 on: December 07, 2018, 11:55:02 AM »

I know right there are so many positives! I’m trying to convince my younger brother to become a teacher. He is good with kids, patient, and really enjoys lots of extracurricular activities.
 For me it would mean going backward as it would involve going back to school when I’m already close to FI. Plus I currently love my job. It’s always an option long term.

I used to think all this too.

My wife is also a teacher now.  Just got a raise to $40K.  She used to be a Project Manager making $90K and before that worked for Oracle as a consultant.  She works more now that she did in those other two jobs.  She has gotten into some heated arguments with people about how "easy" teaching is and how they get all this time off.  She gets calls and e-mails at night.  She still gets calls from parents on off days.  She gets call from parents all summer and work with students who need more help.  We have to buy a lot of supplies for her class to the tune of a few thousand a year because the school does not have them in the budget.

Been to several gatherings with teachers and this stuff happens in a lot of districts and my wife is in a private school (no Masters in ED yet which is required to get into public), but the public teachers stories of how things work are not making her jump at the chance to make some more without any added security or support.  At least now she has more control with the administration that she ever would in a public setting. 

So I'd do a little more research before you latch on to the sterotypes that we all have heard, and likely believed.  Not at all what it looks like from the inside.

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #775 on: December 07, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »

I used to think all this too.

My wife is also a teacher now.  Just got a raise to $40K.  She used to be a Project Manager making $90K and before that worked for Oracle as a consultant.  She works more now that she did in those other two jobs.  She has gotten into some heated arguments with people about how "easy" teaching is and how they get all this time off.  She gets calls and e-mails at night.  She still gets calls from parents on off days.  She gets call from parents all summer and work with students who need more help.  We have to buy a lot of supplies for her class to the tune of a few thousand a year because the school does not have them in the budget.

Been to several gatherings with teachers and this stuff happens in a lot of districts and my wife is in a private school (no Masters in ED yet which is required to get into public), but the public teachers stories of how things work are not making her jump at the chance to make some more without any added security or support.  At least now she has more control with the administration that she ever would in a public setting. 

So I'd do a little more research before you latch on to the sterotypes that we all have heard, and likely believed.  Not at all what it looks like from the inside.
I have multiple good friends that are teachers. They share about their job struggles and I share about mine. Many of the things I share make them cringe in horror. I like many aspects of my job but still envy the teaching gig. Compared to what I deal with I absolutely believe it would be more manageable.
 The perks are undeniable  but I also understand that there may be downsides. Then again I can go toe-to-toe with my teachers friends “horror” stories and often they walk away being grateful.

super hans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #776 on: December 08, 2018, 12:11:03 AM »
Title: Elementary teacher
Experience: 1 year of experience in US (4 years of experience in Brazil)
Education: 2 Bachelors(Chemistry & Chemistry Education) & Masters (Analytical Chemistry)
Salary: $49,000 (+ 10 % 401K)

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #777 on: December 08, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »
I'm interested to know what people consider the BEST job in terms of -
- low stress
- low BS factor
- fringe benefits
- high salary
- high satisfaction

I'm thinking it must be some sort of State government gig or maybe firefighter.   I know the local fire crews here work low basic hours, get generous overtime compensation, great pension and can retire after 20 years.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #778 on: December 08, 2018, 06:38:22 AM »
I'm interested to know what people consider the BEST job in terms of -
- low stress
- low BS factor
- fringe benefits
- high salary
- high satisfaction

I'm thinking it must be some sort of State government gig or maybe firefighter.   I know the local fire crews here work low basic hours, get generous overtime compensation, great pension and can retire after 20 years.

There can also be a lot of danger in being a firefighter, and I wouldn’t consider the pay “high.” I have never considered any state or government job high on my list because the pay doesn’t seem that high.

In many cases, I could see the right business owner having the “best” job. You can work for yourself, make an endless salary, etc.

For me - I’ve always dreamed of owning a small/medium sized gym. Just make too much right now to give up my W-2 job to take the plunge. Maybe some day.

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #779 on: December 08, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
Lots of cops and firefighters make over $100k/year and get a huge pension with relatively early retirement.  Firefighters also have a TON of time off.  I have firefighter friends and they are by far the most active and happy people I know - only work 2 days a week, with pretty high incomes.  My son put on his "what do you want to be when you grow up?" worksheet that he wants to be a firefighter and that makes me happy.  It's really one of the most lucrative jobs in America.

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #780 on: December 08, 2018, 02:40:09 PM »
Wow some serious money being paid in the US!
A lot of the jobs mentioned are 3 or 4 times UK income for same job.
COL is not hugely different.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #781 on: December 08, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »
I have a friend who is a fireman in my hometown (no college education) and his pay+benefits last year was about $220K.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #782 on: December 08, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
Title: Apprentice Plumber
Experience: 2 years
Salary: 55k
Benefits: Union pension, 401(k) - no match

With my useless liberal arts degree and general lack of interpersonal skills this was easily the best option available to me.  And, as luck would have it, I might never have been told about MMM had I not made the move since another plumber turned me onto the site.  I like the job because I can just shut up and produce and I'm considered a excellent employee for it.  My experience in college was it didn't much matter how good or how motivated or how much effort you put in, if you weren't either the absolute best or really good at schmoozing and networking nobody gave a shit.  If the white collar world is anything like that I wouldn't make it. 

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #783 on: December 17, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
UPDATE

Salary: $125,673 + 3% 401k match.
Experience: 19 years (total, 10 in my current industry)
Education: BS in Mechanical Engineering + MBA

lomic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #784 on: December 19, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »
Title: Software Engineer in Test
Salary: $315k base + options + insurance + 401(k) match + fringe benefits = ~$350k total comp
Experience: 12 years
Education: College drop-out (100+ units completed)

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #785 on: December 19, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
Salary: $315k base + options + insurance + 401(k) match + fringe benefits = ~$350k total comp
Wow that’s just plain silly

goosefraba1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #786 on: December 19, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »
31yo male
Physician Assistant in Orthopedic Surgery
Degrees- BAS in Psychology (was super easy and quick), MS in PA studies (not so easy, but only 2.5 year program)
Experience- 4 years in Surgery
130k base pay , eligible for 10% regular bonus, also get paid an RVU bonus (basically productivity) every quarter which amounts to 15-20k a quarter.
So, probably top out at 225. Every bit of my bonus is now going into Vanguard.

Granted... I am 6 years out from loan forgiveness. Currently pay $1100 a month in student loans.

Wife is an Occupational Therapy Assistant
Approximately 55k a year

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #787 on: December 19, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
Title: Supervisor, Consumer Credit & Collection
Salary: $101,500 (Insurance, 401K match, Pension)
Experience: 19 years
Education: BBA-Finance, BBA-Accounting

Cornel_Westside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #788 on: December 19, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
31yo male
Degrees- BAS in Psychology (was super easy and quick), MS in PA studies (not so easy, but only 2.5 year program)
130k base pay , eligible for 10% regular bonus, also get paid an RVU bonus (basically productivity) every quarter which amounts to 15-20k a quarter.

Granted... I am 6 years out from loan forgiveness. Currently pay $1100 a month in student loans.

Approximately 55k a year

Wow, I didn't know PAs made that much money. Do you mind my asking where you are, and how much debt you were in?

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: December 19, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »
31yo male

Approximately 55k a year

Wow, I didn't know PAs made that much money. Do you mind my asking where you are, and how much debt you were in?

PAs can make a good amount of money. Particularly if they are in a surgical specialty. I know of several PAs who started making $85-100k in family practice right out of school. I know another PA who, like goosefraba1, works in Orthopedic Surgery and he makes around $300k and has around 15 years experience.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #790 on: December 19, 2018, 05:08:52 PM »

That is pretty standard in the Seattle area, I would say that is average for 10 years of experience. I am not sure why there is this false impression that you have to go to school and be a math genius to do software engineering. I got a few books from the library and learned for free on the internet and learned most of the skills on the job. I think I have 8th grade math skills, and if I need something math heavy I just ask someone to help. The only hard part was getting thru interviews and networking.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #791 on: December 19, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
I feel somewhat embarrassed because most of you guys have above average careers.

Title: Retail non-salaried Manager
Salary: My pay base is roughly $40,000 - to this year $56,000 depending on overtime + 401K Company matched at 6%. I make more than most salary managers at my store.
Experience: Almost 20 years and a good reputation
Education: Over a hundred credit hours in college but no degree.

Note: My wife also has a similar job title and pay.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #792 on: December 19, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »
I feel somewhat embarrassed because most of you guys have above average careers.

Salary: My pay base is roughly $40,000 - to this year $56,000 depending on overtime + 401K Company matched at 6%. I make more than most salary managers at my store.

No need to feel embarrassed. Y'all are gettin er done, good job!

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
« Reply #793 on: December 20, 2018, 06:07:58 AM »

No need to feel embarrassed. Y'all are gettin er done, good job!

Second this. Heck, if your wife makes the same as you do, you guys are probably in the top 25% of household income. There's definitely a distortion effect around so many people with huge salaries (and some selection bias as to who posts in threads like these).

goosefraba1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #794 on: December 20, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
31yo male

Approximately 55k a year

It all depends on where you want to work. I work in Ortho Surgery in the middle of nowhere which happens to be my hometown. Portsmouth, Ohio. My employer is honestly great. However, my compensation is production based. The more work I crank out, the better the pay. A typical work week for me is 55 hours. Monday-Friday 7ish to between 6pm and?

I started at 90k working in Occupation Medicine (worker's compensation basically). It was terrible and made debate on my life decisions. But, it got my foot in the door.

Fortunately, I love what I do, and honestly couldn't see myself in any other specialty.

I currently owe 160k in student loans. I am paying the minimum, and the debt will be forgiven in 6 more years (as I work for a non profit hospital... in a healthcare provider shortage area).

Cornel_Westside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #795 on: December 20, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »

That is pretty standard in the Seattle area, I would say that is average for 10 years of experience. I am not sure why there is this false impression that you have to go to school and be a math genius to do software engineering. I got a few books from the library and learned for free on the internet and learned most of the skills on the job. I think I have 8th grade math skills, and if I need something math heavy I just ask someone to help. The only hard part was getting thru interviews and networking.
That is not average for 10 years experience. Salary averages in software on sites like Glassdoor or Payscale show this not to be the case. Now, this is the average if you've made it to a senior role at a FAANG or equivalent. And that means you're a top 5% engineer. But software engineering really only averages about 20% more than most other engineers. A software engineer with 10 years experience would otherwise normally be making ~120k.

Some people make rockstar money in software, but it's a false impression from all the press that Big Tech gets. If you aren't working at Google, you won't be making 250k+ as an engineer. This guy is either a very high level of engineer or works for a big name, and probably both.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #796 on: December 20, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
31yo male

Approximately 55k a year

It all depends on where you want to work. I work in Ortho Surgery in the middle of nowhere which happens to be my hometown. Portsmouth, Ohio. My employer is honestly great. However, my compensation is production based. The more work I crank out, the better the pay. A typical work week for me is 55 hours. Monday-Friday 7ish to between 6pm and?

I started at 90k working in Occupation Medicine (worker's compensation basically). It was terrible and made debate on my life decisions. But, it got my foot in the door.

Fortunately, I love what I do, and honestly couldn't see myself in any other specialty.

I currently owe 160k in student loans. I am paying the minimum, and the debt will be forgiven in 6 more years (as I work for a non profit hospital... in a healthcare provider shortage area).

Make sure you dot your i and cross your t irt the loan forgiveness. Check now to make sure everything is being done correctly and qualifies. It's been all over the news how small of a % of forgiveness applications have been getting approved.

Kingomri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #797 on: December 20, 2018, 02:41:42 PM »
Title: Software Engineer
Salary: $106,075 plus bonus (5-10% @ end of year, performance-based)
Years’ experience: 10 years
Education: B.S. Mathematics
Location: I think this is important - a Silicon Valley salary isn't the same as a salary in the midwest. I'm in a mid-sized midwestern city with low cost of living.

978rl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #798 on: December 20, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
Title: Manufacturing Manager
Salary: $178k (includes base pay and bonus)
Experience: 19 years
Education: High School diploma

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #799 on: December 20, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
Title: Inside Sales Manager (Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings / aka Construction Industry)
Salary: $52k Base + $36k Commission Bonus (Been a great year) = $88k Total
Experience: 9 years in this industry, but not necessary for this job.
Education: High School Diploma Required, Cert in CAD a bonus, Associates Degree in Drafting a Bonus, Bachelors Degree (unrelated field) a bonus and not needed.  Could be done with ambition and a HS diploma only.

What I'm learning from this thread is there is no reason not to reach higher.  Only a few years ago I thought 38k a year was par for the course...  Way too many ways to make money in the US to restrict yourself to a low salary (unless you choose to do so for your own personal reasons / job fulfillment in Education or Social Services, etc).

Also don't believe the BS that employers spit out about how much you can/should/will make.  They have no incentive to pay you more-  job hop or demand more to get it.  If you aren't making 10% to 25% annual raises in your 5 to 10 year career window, your employer isn't keeping you up with the industry.  In almost any industry.  Period.

Great thread.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:29:02 PM by TexasRunner »