Author Topic: What's your FI motivation?  (Read 19220 times)

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What's your FI motivation?
« on: November 01, 2018, 03:44:39 PM »
May be obvious for many/most of us, but I'm curious what your specific motivation for FI is?

Mine used to be out of hatred for my job and office politics in general. Since then, I've had kids. One of whom turns out to have special needs, and may require lifetime assistance. That turned a tepid interest in RE to a full-on FI fever.

So, what motivates you?

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
Re: What's your FI motivation?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 03:45:34 PM »
Freedom of choice.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
Never carrying a pager again = complete freedom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 04:00:55 PM »
Freedom of choice.

+1

It's not so much that I dislike every aspect of my job. I just dislike the requirement that I HAVE to spend 40 hours a week doing it. There are SO many other things I would rather do with my time.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
For a “job” I am pretty dang fortunate. I don’t love it, or often even like it, but many people would be very very happy with it.

My biggest problem is having a schedule and no freedom to travel like I want, or energy for my own hobbies. My wife and I exercise a lot, and have some fun, but I’m prohibited from just leaving for months to camp, travel, explore, except for between jobs.

If I owned a gym or had a fab shop, I think I would be far happier with “work,” however those just aren’t a possibility right now, and a huge risk.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
I may be unusual here, but I miss my wife when I am working.  We spend almost every moment outside of work together, and I resent work for keeping us apart.  Married for 25 years, and she's still my best friend and love of my life.

FI will let us spend much more time together, whenever we want.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »
Pure laziness.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
I may be unusual here, but I miss my wife when I am working.  We spend almost every moment outside of work together, and I resent work for keeping us apart.  Married for 25 years, and she's still my best friend and love of my life.

That is awesome, so jealous. 

My job is one most people would at a minimum tolerate and many would deem great for a job, but I want freedom to hike/camp/travel for months at a time.   I want to be able to ride my bike for hours and just read at the lake for the 6 months of the year when it's nice out.  Also be nice to not have to deal with some of the asshole clients and my new micromanaging boss.   

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »

This is a great point as well. My wife is a SAHW, and we’re together 24/7 enjoying hobbies together when I’m not work. I took two, 4 month sabbaticals in 2016/2017 and we did extended trips to Asia, Baja, and throughout the US and spent basically every moment together, and it was truly perfect.

Glad you have pointed this out, I don’t think all couples are always as fortunate!

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »
"Freedom" I guess. But freedom isn't free. Humans aren't meant to be happy all the time and without the bitter there is no sweet. The sabbaticals wouldn't be as amazing if it weren't for the fact that you were looking extremely forward to and you had put in the sweat in order to get there.

If everyday was a vacation then it would be nice but also boring really quick if you didn't constantly challenge yourself to grow.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 10:51:27 PM »

This is a great point as well. My wife is a SAHW, and we’re together 24/7 enjoying hobbies together when I’m not work. I took two, 4 month sabbaticals in 2016/2017 and we did extended trips to Asia, Baja, and throughout the US and spent basically every moment together, and it was truly perfect.

Glad you have pointed this out, I don’t think all couples are always as fortunate!
This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I miss this state. Between work and two little kids my husband and I barely get any time together. I miss him and really look forward to time again with him. After I get a little time to myself, because I don’t get any of that either.

Are we there yet? How about now? ??

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 01:12:52 AM »
I was diagnosed with a chronic illness as a teen that might at some point in my life prevent me from working. I want to be prepared if/when that time comes instead of depending on the government to provide me with some income (who knows what kind of disability benefits exist then).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 01:33:13 AM »
Freedom of choice.

Me too.  I like my job and my coworkers but I want to have the option available to do whatever I want.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 05:00:03 AM »
Freedom of choice.

+1

It's not so much that I dislike every aspect of my job. I just dislike the requirement that I HAVE to spend 40 hours a week doing it. There are SO many other things I would rather do with my time.

+2 Freedom to have more choices in the world. Travel and adventure. Less day to day worry.

To touch briefly on that last point, I know what it is like to loose a job you really liked and standing in the unemployment line (many years ago) sucked!
 Also experienced my father being laid-off years ago when I was young and how hard my parents worked and that probably had a profound impact on me.
 FI today.

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 05:10:51 AM »
Yep, freedom of choice.

We were not placed on this earth to work, pay bills and die. I am not a slave to wages, and I do not want to owe my time to anyone outside of my own free will. This is no way to live.

Also, committing 40 hours a week to anything really kills your joy of it.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 05:43:32 AM »
Honestly, it's uncertainty about the future.

The formative years of my professional life were 2008-2010, at the height of the Great Recession.  I am crystal clear on the fact that jobs can evaporate out from under anyone, at any time, for reasons well outside their control.  My husband works in a high tech field and worries that it will become so complex over the coming decades that he'll have a hard time keeping up.  I'm in a great situation right now, but all it would take would be a change of leadership in my company to someone who says, "Meh.  We don't need that group.  The other functions can absorb that work."

As long as you're reliant on your wages to live, you have to accept that you're in a precarious position that could change at any time.  No one is indispensable. There is no such thing as loyalty in a company.  If someone decides you're not worth the line you take up on a spreadsheet, you could be out tomorrow.

And in the long term, I worry about the impact of climate change on just about everything.

Right now, we're in a position to 1) build a giant pile of money that can support us for the rest of our lives, 2) buy a second property outside our coastal, HCOL city where we can further indulge our gardening habit, and 3) learn skills and habits that make frugality automatic and joyful.  In a few years, we'll have enough that it won't matter whether we ever work again. 

That security--that we're good no matter what--is very motivating. 

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 06:00:05 AM »
Pure laziness.
Haha thanks for your honesty!

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 06:02:23 AM »
For me the uncertainty of the future having barely kept employment 2008-2013.
Also to have the freedom to be bolder at work, to have the ability to start a new career at some point, to have time to do stuff with my kids when they are middle school aged.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 06:46:49 AM »
FREEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

That's basically it.

In more detail: I have a ridiculously large number of things that interest me, and I rarely manage to stick to focusing on the same one for more than a couple of weeks. But during the between-half-a-day-and-couple-of-weeks that I'm interested in something, I often want to do that thing ALL THE TIME (for those few days).  So what I want is to be able to wake up and look into whatever's caught my eye that day, without worrying about whether it's "useful", and without having to drag myself away from it for hours to go do boring work.

Plus, when I've been unemployed or only employed with a very low number of hours, I generally did a lot more exercise, ate healthier, and even had time to do chores without resenting them.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 06:47:15 AM »

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I miss this state. Between work and two little kids my husband and I barely get any time together. I miss him and really look forward to time again with him. After I get a little time to myself, because I don’t get any of that either.

Are we there yet? How about now? ??

While I can’t personally relate, I do understand. I’m 30, wife is 24, and we plan to have a kid(s) in the next couple years. I’m sure I will miss how spoiled I’ve been with just my wife and I the last 6-7 years!

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 06:59:44 AM »
We were self employed for 18 years.
Hours were 10 hours a day 363 days a
year, split between the two of us, but
on busy days we both worked. However
there was more work after closing hours.
 The work was easy, but I was always on call
for one thing or another, the business was our life.
  I cut back a year and a half ago, my wife took
up the slack and was working over 70 hours a week.
About 1-1/2 years of that and she came around to 
the idea of retiring. We started putting out the
word that our business was for sale.
 Micheal put a quick end to our business and my wife
has no bad feelings after three weeks. Her carpel tunnel
symptoms have disappeared and her mindset of business, business,
business is already gone. I say this with the caveat that,
we have had so much to do with all the damage she hasn't
had any down time to think about it. I'll be watching for
any changes when things finally get back to normal.
 Conclusion, I just got tired of my life being the business.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 07:11:54 AM »
Pure laziness.

Same here.  And the desire to live somewhere where I can scuba dive 365 days a year without a drysuit. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 07:15:10 AM »
Pure laziness.

Same here.  And the desire to live somewhere where I can scuba dive 365 days a year without a drysuit.

ohh that would be nice...I love diving, but have absolutely zero interest in drysuits.

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »
Hanging out with my kids as they get older. Enough time to wake up and putter around with coffee, books, or video games every day before getting productive.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 07:22:56 AM »
Pure laziness.

ohh that would be nice...I love diving, but have absolutely zero interest in drysuits.

I mean, I'm lucky enough that there is a quarry nearby so I'm not completely landlocked.  That at least keeps my gills from drying out.  And 6 months out of the year it's okay with a 3mm full suit as long as you don't get much deeper than about 40-50 ft because it's got a hell of a thermocline at that depth.  Like a 20 degree drop from one foot to the next.  I've debated buying a semi-dry to extend my season and depth a bit, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money.  Plus the owner just announced the quarry is up for sale so until that's settled I won't be making any moves.   

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
I am crystal clear on the fact that jobs can evaporate out from under anyone, at any time, for reasons well outside their control.

As long as you're reliant on your wages to live, you have to accept that you're in a precarious position that could change at any time.  No one is indispensable. There is no such thing as loyalty in a company.  If someone decides you're not worth the line you take up on a spreadsheet, you could be out tomorrow.
This is a big one for me.  I don't like the insecurity that comes with knowing that all it would take is one VP deciding my services are no longer needed for me to be unemployed.  I also want the freedom to make my own decisions about how to spend my time.  The idea that a company "owns" my time really grates on me.  It seems absolutely ridiculous that I had more freedom as an 18-22 year old college student than I do as a 39 year old.  I got shit done on my own time in college, but I can't be trusted to get shit done on my own time now.  Fuck that.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:06 AM »
Stress reduction. Since childhood I've had some medical conditions that can flare without warning and upend my life (and occasionally threaten it) and the lives of people around me (my parents and siblings then, my wife now). The physical limitations that can be imposed on you by illness are bad enough. The additional demands placed on your time and money are sometimes worse. I want options. When healthy or reasonably healthy, I want to go places and do things. I want to not be tethered to a sub-optimal job forever simply for the health insurance.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 07:57:15 AM »
Yep, freedom of choice.

We were not placed on this earth to work, pay bills and die. I am not a slave to wages, and I do not want to owe my time to anyone outside of my own free will. This is no way to live.

I could commit a solid 80 hours a week to sleeping

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 08:14:30 AM »
Yep, freedom of choice.

I could commit a solid 80 hours a week to sleeping

Okay, I confess. This is the exception!

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 08:19:12 AM »
Like Aelias said, the 2008 recession had a major impact on me. I was 30 and making decent money. I saw 50 somethings being let go because of a merger my company was going through at the time, and they COULD NOT find other work. My husband and I had already been good at saving, but that is when we decided that we would make decisions on spending and saving with the goal to not need any employment by the time we were 50. We hit the target at 40.
I also saw (and still see) so many older people in the office that look like they are so unhappy, so tired, some are dealing with major health issues. I don't ever want to be in that position.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
Freedom of choice

Really bored at work

Lazy!!!   : 0 )

I had a life threatening illness which could recur and I'd rather have more fun/play now while I'm healthy

I'm already at "my number" just working a few more months for padding an emergency fund - it's a wonderful feeling. Just took two mental health days this week because I can! Feels good!

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 08:29:08 AM »

Great post!  My list is very long and many of my top reasons have been covered, but this is a reason that after you pointed it out is a very strong pull for me as well even though I don't think I've ever explicitly articulated it.  My partner and I spend most of our free time together, and I think some people think it's odd that after almost 30 years we still enjoy being around each other so much.

Now that I'm in my 40s I am very aware that every day I wake up I'm the youngest and therefore potentially the healthiest, strongest, and most full of energy I will ever be.  I'm aware that my fitness and eating play a role in that, but there's no getting around the fact that every day we live is one day closer to the end and that gradual decline is on the agenda for all of us.  I eat well and exercise to stave off the worst of it as long as I can but the trend is inevitable.  That sounds morbid but I don't mean it to.  It really is just very powerful motivator for me to stay dedicated to a lifestyle that will allow me to make the most of the years that I have left on this earth with an emphasis on getting there quickly so the the years of freedom and choice that I have coincide with the best years I have remaining.  At the same time, I'm not so focused on getting there quickly that I neglect to make the most of each day and I ensure that my work doesn't bleed into my personal time.  But with over 50 hours each week taken up with work, commuting, and work-related tasks it's impossible to squeeze in everything I want to do to live a fulfilling life.  FIRE will give me an opportunity to find and live my version of a fulfilling life, and I'm looking forward to the challenge that that presents. 

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »
Fresh air.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
FI enables RE, which in turn affords more time/opportunities to pursue other interests.  That's not incorrect, and it's the answer I've most often provided when someone asks.  But for me it's a little too neat and tidy -- a pithy catchphrase on a FIRE pamphlet.

It's probably more accurate to say that my upbringing (frugal parents who instilled the value and habit of saving) and personality type (innate focus on long-term goals) made FI an obvious and inevitable outcome.  I can't point to any extrinsic events like job loss, having a miserable job, market crash, etc., that motivated me to achieve FI.

The motivation at the beginning was simply to embark on an exciting journey of accumulating and growing wealth.  After that I was just along for the ride.  Frugal habits and the stock market dragged me through the middle part of the journey, almost without conscious effort on my part.  I've drifted through the last part of the journey with similar compulsion, and the S&P500 did the heavy lifting.  Now that we've +/- reached FI, I'm realizing that RE was just a phantom goalpost to give the journey some kind of endpoint.

I've read books like this before.  The journeys always seem to end the same way: 90% completion and an uneasy feeling of "now what?"

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
My motivation is twofold. Firstly I find the corporate world suffocating to some extent. I suffer from anxiety and struggle with the meetings, pressure and political nonsense. I’m also very aware that both my employment and day to day working environment is completely determined by the whims of people above that don’t know me. I am nothing to them. I can’t wait to break free from that set up.

Secondly I want to be able to help my parents who are older relative to my age than the average. I’m keen to help them stay independent and have no need to go into a home (medical issues permitting).

All of the boards on this forum talk about money but I think the biggest win is actually not having to think of it anymore. That problem/part of life is over and it will be time to focus on more fun stuff.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »
We live in an area heavily dependent on a single industry that we are both part of.  Compensation is amazing and cost of living is relatively low but I fear how bad it could become in the lean times.

Plus the preparations for the lean times is frequently "buyouts" for employees that voluntarily leave.  If I am already FI and they offer me a year of salary to leave I want to be prepared to sign on the dotted line with no concerns.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 09:55:20 AM »
Brutally honest: PTSD. Makes work a frickin' minefield that explodes on a regular basis.

Being FI means never having to enter that minefield again. I still might, someday, on my own terms -- but I will never have to stay with bombs exploding all around me.

It's been a strong FI motivator for decades, from before "FI" was even a thing.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »
For me the uncertainty of the future having barely kept employment 2008-2013.

Next to my illness the Great Recession was also a big motivation. I turned 18 in 2008, graduated from high school and basically saw all the jobs disappear right in front of me. Due to personal circumstances, I had no family to rely on - on the contrary, they relied on me. My parents had to sell their home for a really low price to prevent foreclosure.

The next 5 years I worked a variety of temp jobs, I worked very hard with little security and for low pay. I had saved up some money in high school and that money saved my life do many times. I studied parttime when I had time and energy for it.

I worked my first job in my current field in 2012 and even though it was a horrible company and only a 9 month temp job, I knew I'd found my calling. I know I'm good at what I do. I did some temp work until I found a steady entry level position in 2016 and I got my current, medior role last month. It was difficult but a very valuable experience.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
So these past few weeks I've been talked to (ominously) by the higher ups for issues with documentation and now they're micromanaging me, taking accounts away from me, etc.  I'm FI right now at 3.5% and was planning to GTFO in April 2019.  I'm thankful I've been on the FI path since even before college.   

I didn't like hearing the criticisms of course, but instead of stressing out over finances in case I get canned like the masses would, I'm hoping they lay me off LOL.  I've long thought of engineering my own layoff, but I guess I've subconsciously been doing it the last year or two.   

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »

Sleep more/live longer - If you sleep more, you have not only higher quality of life, but higher quantity as well.  I want to throw my alarm clock into the trash permanently!!! 

Weird projects - I'm the type that gets really into things until I'm to the point where I'm "pretty good" at it, then I like to get into something else.  There are SO MANY things I want to do, I'd love more available hours to play:)

Travel - My wife is fluent in spanish, my kids are in a spanish immersion program.  My goal is to become somewhat fluent in the next 5-7 years, and do some extended trips to spanish speaking countries during summers (I'm a teacher).  When fully retired my wife and I hope to spend time in many places throughout the world.

Family Time - I hit a home run when I married my wife.  My kids are amazing.  More time with them wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit. 

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »
I am similar to Bird In Hand, but I've also developed medical conditions that are exacerbated by stress.

So I think I'm just type A and it makes me stressy.

I am very interested in seeing what a life of non-stressful goals looks like (and if it is possible for someone with my particular personality quirks).

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
+1 for the freedom of choice response.

Ever since I can remember, I was never into the your-job-is-your-life-and-identity idea like so many other Americans are. I wanted to have a job to pay for a middle-class lifestyle, sure. Those feelings were confirmed when I graduated and entered the work world; I decided that other things in life are much more important than work. I'm still way more into the goal of FI than RE, but maybe that will change with age. As many others have mentioned, my job is good as far as jobs go and I get paid plenty. However, I sure as hell wouldn't do it for free. I want the freedom to quit if work sucks, take a sabbatical to help with a baby, take big vacays.

A good example: sis was told she'd be let go in several months. She immediately started looking for work and accepted a job in the very middle of Dallas and she lives way out in the suburbs in her McMansion. Has to wake up at 5 to deal with the baby and then drive an hour to work in stupid traffic. I asked her about this (BIL has a nice job and salary)...she said they had built a lifestyle that required two jobs, and if they had only one, they'd have to significantly cut down.

I want the freedom to encourage my wife to just ride out until the severance, take your time finding a nice job, and you don't have to work for several months or a year if you want to. The freedom to do this comes from the magical secret formula of LBYM ON ONLY ONE INCOME, NOT TWO. Gasp!

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
1) I work in a volatile industry. Things are great now, but pay cuts and furloughs happen. I want to be ready for those just in case.

2) My career is dependent on maintaining my medical certificate. I could wake up tomorrow with some disease like Type 1 Diabetes and it would be game over. I have disability and loss of medical insurance, but that is intended more for getting by until finding a new career.

3) Freedom. Both freedom of schedule and freedom of response. Work as much or as little as I want, and be able to say FU to anyone with no fear of financial ruin.

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
Lots of good responses here.

I'm seeing some themes, beginning with the premise Money=Freedom. Whether it's free from worry, free to be lazy, free to spend time with loved ones, etc.

This is great, keep em coming!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
1. I have been unemployed three different times in my career.  I do not, ever again, want to worry about that “what if” scenario.

2. I am really tired and think a few weeks of naps could help.  I cannot do that at work, so I guess I will just have to get rich enough to avoid work.

3. THere is so much I want to do in life and 50 hours a week at someone else’s beck and call (other than my wife, daughter, and dog) is uncondusive to this desire.

4. I do not really find life fulfillment through what I do at work.  Some aspects are fun, but others are total BS (instituted by clients or corporate for some reasons).  Either way, my job is not who I am and not what I want my life to be.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
Being able to say NO at work (especially devops). Work on projects I want to work on. Slack when I want to slack. Have a sense of security that others cannot take away from me easily.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »
FU$ to have peace of mind about basic survival

FI to have the freedom of choice, will take a sabbatical for 9-12 months and reassess what future work would look like

RE to have complete control over my time and spend it on things that do not have to generate an income and would otherwise be impossible even with a remote/PT job

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
Spent more of my married/parental life away from my family than with them.  Once the Army and I part ways, I'm never leaving my family again.  If I decide to keep working/work again, it'll be entirely on my terms.

singpolyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2018, 02:39:00 PM »
So much to do, so little time! Also, every job I've had requires me to do unethical things, and while I try to optimise for "least bad" it will be nice to know I don't have to help big corporations hurt people and society anymore just so my daughter can eat.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »
Laziness/desire to sleep odd hours.

I’m lucky to currently have a job where I don’t always have to be accounted for.  This means most days I can stroll in at 9:30am or later and no one notices and certainly no one cares.  I always heard that as we get older we naturally get up earlier.  I’m 38 and if I had my choice I’d sleep from midnight until 9am everyday.  Occasionally staying up until 1 or 2am.

This Friday I had the relatively unusual expectation to be at work for an 8am breakfast.  It was pure hell.  I had to get up at 6:30am to get ready, drive 15 minutes to work and be there extra early to make sure I wasn’t late (I work in higher ed and was meeting an important donor).  I was tired all day on Friday.  I realize this sounds like a huge entitlement First World problem, but the answer to your question is laziness.  I’ll still teach when I FIRE but I’ll adjunct and teach afternoon classes. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!