Author Topic: Teddy Roosevelt National Park / Vacation  (Read 1859 times)

Mrs. Green

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Teddy Roosevelt National Park / Vacation
« on: January 29, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »
After reading all the raves about the TR National Park we would like to visit there this summer.  We will be coming up from Kansas with pre-teen kids. Any suggested stops on the way to TRNP? 

We did Mount Rushmore last year as well as Crazy Horse (highly recommend), Deadwood, and Wounded Knee Memorial.

Thank you in advance!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Teddy Roosevelt National Park / Vacation
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »
+1 for TR Park!  Much mellower than the Yellowstone area.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
I have no help for stops on the way there, but if you can do try to hit the north unit. The Upper Caprock Coulee Trail was my favorite of the trip! It's about 5 miles (if I remember correctly!) in the loop. While at the south unit, we also went out and did the full Petrified forest loop which was great! That's where did unexpectedly surprised a bison laying hidden behind a rise. As we came over the rise to where we could see him he was only about ten feet away. That's when I learned bison are much, much bigger than I ever realized from seeing them at an appropriate distance and can stand up much, much quicker than something that size should be able too. Luckily he wasn't too concerned about us!

Best meal we had was in Beaver Creek Brewery in Wibaux, MT. They have a small restaurant that I believe is family friendly attached with super great food! We did an airBNB and made most of our breakfasts and lunches, but get food before you get to Medora!

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 06:40:55 PM »
What? You say you didn't stop at Wall Drug?

Check out Badlands National Park on the way there if you haven't seen it. Also the North Unit of TR is even less busy than the already not so busy South Unit.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 07:07:18 PM »
Alongside Badlands is the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site.

Other attractions in the Black Hills area include Custer State Park (nice herd of bison there), Wind Cave, and Jewel Cave.  Hot Springs, SD has the Mammoth Site & Museum and a wild horse sanctuary.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »
If you like kitschy stuff, there's a bunch of things to see along I-94 in ND - world's largest metal sculptures (the "Enchanted Highway", cow, sandhill crane, buffalo.    You can get your picture taken with the woodchipper from "Fargo" in Fargo...  https://thehotflashpacker.com/north-dakota/

As others mentioned, the Black Hills and Badlands have loads of things to do at any budget.  Mount Rushmore is a must.  I also recommend Wind Cave (and lots of great wildlife in Wind Cave NP above the land, I skipped Custer State Park that was a little expensive).      https://thehotflashpacker.com/south-dakota/

If you're into camping, there are some great places to camp for free or very cheap in the Dakotas.  I especially liked camping at some of the state fishing areas.  Off season, there was almost no one around and it was free!  Amazing sunsets and sunrises.   I also camped for free less than a mile from Mount Rushmore  (possible in car, van, or tent but not RV).

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »
If you're into camping, there are some great places to camp for free or very cheap in the Dakotas.

+1. Especially the "Primitive Camp Sites" meaning there's a place to poop, and perhaps a campfire spot or grate, but BYO Water. Most are less than $20 per night, some were like $11-$14 per night. I like them especially if we're only driving through a place, or arrive really late, so we don't have to spend $90-150 for one night of sleeping.

Bierbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Giddy Up, Giddy On Up
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
Dickinson, which is about 30 miles east of Medora has a smallish dinosaur museum. It's good for a couple hour visit. Also, some useless information,  Amidon ND is the smallest county seat in the nation. You'll probably go through it on the way north to Medora. I second the others about seeing the North unit. Also, since your at the North Unit, you're in the middle of the Bakken oil field. Neat to check out.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
Also, since your at the North Unit, you're in the middle of the Bakken oil field. Neat to check out.

It actually makes me sad that the land has been used for oil wells. The state is now in the bust part of the cycle after the oil discovery. Look at the satellite picture on google maps and every little white orange square along the roads is an oil well.

Roinsborg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 10:00:53 AM »
Medora is the town right outside the South Unit of the park.  It's a tourist trap, but it's worth walking around grabbing lunch or an ice cream cone and seeing the sights.  You might also consider staying the night there.  Depending on the time of year it can get very busy and finding a room might be difficult.  This can be true for some of the camp sites too.
 If you know your timeline, I'd book reservations ahead of time.  Throughout the summer there are several different events going on in the town of Medora itself.  Hot air balloon festival, rodeo, covert rally, etc.  These can add another thing to do, but also tend to draw an even bigger crowd. 

Outside the park itself, the Medora Musical is the main touristy attraction.  It's worth seeing once.  They usually bring in some other "acts" to break up the show and provide a little variety.  Prior to the musical, they also do a "Pitchfork Fondue".  It's a buffet style dinner where the gimmick is they skewer steaks onto a pitchfork and then dip it into a large vat of boiling oil.  It's a little overpriced for the quality of the meal, but you're really paying for the experience.  Tickets for the Fondue are sold separately from the Musical and you can attend either without attending the other, but they are billed as complementary experiences.

There are tons of trails for hiking, biking, or horse riding.  I believe there are couple spots in Medora that you can rent bikes and the like if you don't want to bring your own.  There is also guided horse tours of a couple different areas of the park that you can sign up and pay for if that interests you. 

If you're family enjoy's golfing Bully Pulpit is considered one of the most beautiful (and challenging) courses in the region.  It's pretty expensive and will likely require you to book a tee time in advance if it's something you want to do.  Be prepared to fight the wind though.

I'd also endorse the North Unit of the park.  It's about another 1.5 North of Medora, but it's usually less crowded.  I personally think it has better trails for hiking.  I also find the park rangers to be a little more relaxed and willing to talk.
 They generally keep track of the different animals and if you ask they'll point you in the right direction to try to see them.
 You're pretty much guaranteed to see at least a couple bison (although probably not a large herd like in the South Unit), and it's the only part of the park that I've been able to catch a glimpse of a bighorn sheep.

If you do decide to go up to the North Unit consider going a littler further to Watford City to Stonehome Brewing.  It has a nice selection of beers and pretty decent food.

You'll also be near Lake Sakakawea (ND's largest lake, albeit man made) which is the resulting reservoir from the Garrison Dam on the Missouri River.  Garrison Dam is neat, but probably only to fill a couple hours.  They do a tour, but you'd want to check times and possibly book ahead.  I don't believe they let people just wander through unattended anymore due to the potential security risks.

If you're willing to travel East to ND's capital Bismarck, there are a couple other things you could consider checking out.

Others have mentioned the Enchanted Highway.  Yes, the large metal sculptures/displays are impressive to see in person.  However, after about the 3rd one it starts to lose it's novelty rather quick.

Fort Lincoln State Park just outside of Mandan on the other side of the river from Bismark.  Overlooking the Missouri River, a lot of the Fort is still in good condition and they have employees dressed for the era giving tours and acting as if you're back in the time when the fort was active.  I highly recommend timing your visit to participate in a guided tour.  The "actors" are great and really know a lot of facts and stories about the Fort.  Once the formal tour is complete, you can explore or revisit at your leisure.  Consider packing a lunch and having a picnic as the food and beverage options are very limited within the park itself.  Honestly, since you seem to like the National parks this would probably be my top recommendation, as it's a very similar vein to some of the other attractions you listed.

I'd also recommend stopping by the capital building.  I believe you can schedule a tour of the capital building itself, but there is now also an attached museum that has some pretty neat exhibits and really does a good job of explaining some of the more important history of the state.