Poll

What's your CURRENT % of your Target Passive Income as of EOY 2017?

< 0%: I'm Bleeding money
2 (0.6%)
0 to 5%
21 (6.5%)
5.01 to 10%
14 (4.3%)
10.01 to 20%
28 (8.7%)
20.01 to 30%
43 (13.4%)
30.01 to 40%
33 (10.2%)
40.01 to 50%
30 (9.3%)
50.01 to 60%
28 (8.7%)
60.01 to 70%
24 (7.5%)
70.01 to 80%
16 (5%)
80.01 to 90% and FIREd
2 (0.6%)
80.01 to 90% and NOT FIREd
14 (4.3%)
90.01 to 100% and FIREd
1 (0.3%)
90.01 to 100% and NOT FIREd
14 (4.3%)
100.01 to 110% and FIREd
2 (0.6%)
100.01 to 110% and NOT FIREd
10 (3.1%)
110.01% and up, and FIREd
17 (5.3%)
110.01% and up, and NOT FIREd
20 (6.2%)
FIREd, other %
3 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Voting closed: February 05, 2018, 08:11:44 AM

Author Topic: What's your CURRENT EOY 2017 % of your Target Passive Income?  (Read 23707 times)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's your CURRENT EOY 2017 % of your Target Passive Income?
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »
We're at 70.3% of a somewhat arbitrary $74k passive income goal.

At the end of last year we were at 59.5%.

Wow!  Almost 11% of the way to your goal in just one year.  Way to rock that plan!

Thanks!  I don't expect a repeat performance in 2018, but we'll keep the savings rate as high as we can afford to and hope for the best.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:55 PM »
We’re at 20-25% after 3 years. Should get there in 10 years if we continue on course!

Way to go!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »
I also selected 110%+ and FIREd but it's tricky. I have expenses at the moment that will go away in time. My spending last year includes some daycare (which is done, for the next little while, but we'll probably start doing 1-2 days a week at some point this year... depends how stingy I'm feeling vs how much I want some actual alone time), and a car loan (which will probably be paid off shortly... it's at 3%... so I'm not sure I should bother but eh.. cash flow!).

The biggie is that we really should move, but if we can stick it out here another year or two we'll basically have paid the current mortgage off. It all becomes so... theoretical? when you have some liquid assets. I could do this, or I could keep the debt.

So based on last year's spending I'm pretty much at 100% using 4%. Going forward - short term, no moving, car loan gone and no daycare - I'm at 130%. Then drop the mortgage I'd be at closer to 170%. Add back in a larger mortgage and I'm at I-don't-know.

Sounds like you'll be fine regardless!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2018, 10:13:26 AM »
I also selected 110%+ and FIREd but it's tricky. I have expenses at the moment that will go away in time. My spending last year includes some daycare (which is done, for the next little while, but we'll probably start doing 1-2 days a week at some point this year... depends how stingy I'm feeling vs how much I want some actual alone time), and a car loan (which will probably be paid off shortly... it's at 3%... so I'm not sure I should bother but eh.. cash flow!).

The biggie is that we really should move, but if we can stick it out here another year or two we'll basically have paid the current mortgage off. It all becomes so... theoretical? when you have some liquid assets. I could do this, or I could keep the debt.

So based on last year's spending I'm pretty much at 100% using 4%. Going forward - short term, no moving, car loan gone and no daycare - I'm at 130%. Then drop the mortgage I'd be at closer to 170%. Add back in a larger mortgage and I'm at I-don't-know.

Sounds like you'll be fine regardless!

The issue is going from our current house to probably something twice as expensive. It's a quandry, especially as we are all over the map in terms of lifestyle (country -> chickens and bees, vs condo -> no yard work at all, and renting -> everything is Somebody Else's Problem which is *really* appealing after spending the last few days re caulking the bath mediocrely).

I agree we'll be fine; we're in a position that few outside the FIRE communities could comprehend on what have been fairly modest incomes.

It just hits me every so often - with 'large' (vs living expenses) amounts of money comes great responsibility. Nobody is holding my hand with this; if I want to liquidate my shares tomorrow there is nothing outside myself stopping me. I'm at the top; I was working til the middle-end of last year, and earned roughly what I spent last year. This year I will be living on investments alone (and a bit of child benefit, which goes into the children's investments, mostly). And we are 9? years into a very strong bull market. I "lost" money in 2008-2009 but it was all tied up in a single house, so it wasn't really visible to me. I mean, I *knew* - I did try and sell the house at one point - but what can you do? I didn't want to sell at a 20% loss, so I didn't.

It's been 'the plan' for ages but expecting no money to come except from dividends and selling stuff... for the next 30 years til the government pension kicks in? That's a lot longer than I've been working!

Eh. I mean, my wife's still working. In fact she's early in her trajectory, most likely, though who knows.

It is - mentally - so different from "my salary is $X per month, my expenses $Y, so I'll save $Z" (not that I've had a fixed salary for 9 years now...).

Anyway. I'm very lucky (frugal/etc) to be where I am.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »
19.5% have hit their FIRE number, according to the poll so far.

That's pretty awesome.   

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2018, 05:30:43 PM »
It is - mentally - so different from "my salary is $X per month, my expenses $Y, so I'll save $Z"

We have monthly money coming in from social security and rental properties.   

We also have minimum distributions from 401Ks and IRAs we have to take.  We don't have to spend them, but the tax hit is there regardless.  We also know what they are on the 1st of January.   Divide by 12 and it becomes monthly income.

We have seasonal farm income and dividend income.     That's like an annual bonus that's fairly predictable.  If we take the prior year's farm and dividend income and divide by 12, it also becomes monthly income.

So, in a way, nothing's changed...  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:47:04 PM by SwordGuy »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
Based on current spending the calculator says we're at 72% of our FIRE target ($861k/$1.2million); however, I'm padding that number to include possible futures taxes we don't currently pay plus vacation spending so on the conservative side we're at 61% ($861k/$1.4million).  I'll probably revise this as we get closer to FIRE and figure out where we'll actually retire, but I consider the latter number to definitely be on the top of the scale.  It comes out to somewhere between 3-5 years until FIRE depending on market performance.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
Based on current spending the calculator says we're at 72% of our FIRE target ($861k/$1.2million); however, I'm padding that number to include possible futures taxes we don't currently pay plus vacation spending so on the conservative side we're at 61% ($861k/$1.4million).  I'll probably revise this as we get closer to FIRE and figure out where we'll actually retire, but I consider the latter number to definitely be on the top of the scale.  It comes out to somewhere between 3-5 years until FIRE depending on market performance.

When you're passively bringing in 60-70% of the income you need to never have to work again, you know you're making real progress!  3-5 years will go by really quickly!   (Well, maybe not that last one.  And if you fall prey to OMY, definitely not the last one!)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
My net worth is about 1 year of spending right now, so I guess that would put me at 4%? Still got a ways to go.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
84.5% to FI
73.4% to RE goal

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »
My net worth is about 1 year of spending right now, so I guess that would put me at 4%? Still got a ways to go.

A lot of people would be thrilled to be where you are:  a positive net worth of a year's spending and a plan they believed in to move forward!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »
84.5% to FI
73.4% to RE goal

That's some serious progress towards your goal!  Shouldn't take long now since the investments start growing on their own at this point!

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »
That's some serious progress towards your goal!  Shouldn't take long now since the investments start growing on their own at this point!

ha we passed the threshold where daily market movements cause more positive or negative fluctuations than our paychecks. It's had a detrimental affect on my will to work.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »

ha we passed the threshold where daily market movements cause more positive or negative fluctuations than our paychecks. It's had a detrimental affect on my will to work.

I didn't realize it until I posted the numbers in the "Net worth/Badass" thread, but this year our market returns were more than we put into it from our paychecks.  It's an emotional event.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »
from 18 up to 26% in the past year.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »

I didn't realize it until I posted the numbers in the "Net worth/Badass" thread, but this year our market returns were more than we put into it from our paychecks.  It's an emotional event.

No kidding!!    Our market returns were almost more than our gross salaries.   Toss in the rental home and farm profits and they were!

Would love another 5 to 10 years of this kind of returns!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2018, 09:18:16 PM »
from 18 up to 26% in the past year.

8% closer in just one year!  That's awesome!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2018, 09:31:03 PM »
Last year, 10.8% of the 501 respondents had either reached 100% of their FIRE target or had FIREd anyway.

I wonder what our percentage will end up in that category this year?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2018, 04:45:17 AM »
Id be interested to see if it's shifting upward across the board.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 06:52:31 AM »
Id be interested to see if it's shifting upward across the board.

Me too!   That's why I started last year's poll and this years!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 07:48:03 AM »

Hah -- wouldn't we all?  I'd settle for 2 more years of these returns in a row (specifically, 2018 and 2019).  That would push us over 100% of our target @ 4% SWR.  While I'm maxing out my 401k and hoping it will happen, I'll bet you $18.5k it won't!  :D

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 12:50:12 PM »

Hah -- wouldn't we all?  I'd settle for 2 more years of these returns in a row (specifically, 2018 and 2019).  That would push us over 100% of our target @ 4% SWR.  While I'm maxing out my 401k and hoping it will happen, I'll bet you $18.5k it won't!  :D

Two years would be great.  It would be the first 2 years of FIRE for us, so that would reduce our sequence of returns risk.   It would also provide plenty of capital gains to cash out to turn into rental properties.   Those rental properties would reduce our need to draw from our stock holdings to zero in a normal year.  That pretty much solves the sequence of returns risk from then on out.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »
Almost half the number of folks who answered this poll last year have responded so far.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:50:24 PM by SwordGuy »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »
Don't be shy!    Pop your status into the poll!   Enquiring minds want to know!  :)

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2018, 03:38:44 PM »
I've been shooting for a 5% SWR (I feel comfortable with that given in 15 years I'll start receiving SS to make up for any shortfall in case returns are poor).  I have payments due to my business in the next couple months from a large project that will not only move us past 100% at that 5%, but closer to 100% at a 4.5 SWR which is definitely better.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2018, 06:08:04 PM »
I've been shooting for a 5% SWR (I feel comfortable with that given in 15 years I'll start receiving SS to make up for any shortfall in case returns are poor).  I have payments due to my business in the next couple months from a large project that will not only move us past 100% at that 5%, but closer to 100% at a 4.5 SWR which is definitely better.

That sounds great!

So, you're at the 90+% mark now?   Or getting some really big payments?  :)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »
this will be really cool to do annually b/c if you go back to the older one you can start to see a wave forming thats moving up - my guess is in 5-10 years this is a very top heavy graph and would be really cool to do a timelapse and watch that wave move to FIRE.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »
this will be really cool to do annually b/c if you go back to the older one you can start to see a wave forming thats moving up - my guess is in 5-10 years this is a very top heavy graph and would be really cool to do a timelapse and watch that wave move to FIRE.

Well, if you don't see me put up this poll next year at the end of the year, have at it! ;)

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »
Including returns plus new money, the egg grew by 4-5 times estimated expenses last year. I was hoping for 2x, so I made serious progress. I lived the RE budget all last year, and it worked for the most part. I want to add some cushion to the 4% SWR to account for a crash sooner than later or to use on luxuries while the boom time lasts. It is easier to tighten your belt from excess to enough than from enough down to frugal.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
Thanks for reviving this! We moved from the 10-20% category into the 20-30% category, and it is very exciting!

BrokenBiscuits

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
I don’t even remember voting last year but glad I did... I can now see i’ve Moved up a category and so can see the real progress.

Moved up into the 20-30% group.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:04 AM »
Including returns plus new money, the egg grew by 4-5 times estimated expenses last year. I was hoping for 2x, so I made serious progress. I lived the RE budget all last year, and it worked for the most part. I want to add some cushion to the 4% SWR to account for a crash sooner than later or to use on luxuries while the boom time lasts. It is easier to tighten your belt from excess to enough than from enough down to frugal.

Awesome!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 03:10:49 PM »
Thanks for reviving this! We moved from the 10-20% category into the 20-30% category, and it is very exciting!

Whoopee!    You've got the hard part behind you!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »
I don’t even remember voting last year but glad I did... I can now see i’ve Moved up a category and so can see the real progress.

Moved up into the 20-30% group.

Solid progress!!!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2018, 10:10:21 PM »

So, for next year, should we change all the FIRED options to 'Fired with mortgage' and 'Fired, paid mortgage', and 'Fired, renting'?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
If this stock market keeps on a roll for the rest of the year, next year's poll will need some 120%+ options.  ;)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
So far, 18.0% of the folks have FIRED or hit their FIRE number.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2018, 01:13:19 PM »

That sounds great!

Yes and Yes ;-), I'm a little over 90%+ now at 5%SWR and getting (what to me) is some really big payments that will drive it to 110%+, and thus get me to more of a 4.5%swr.  Definitely my most successful 5 months by far and it takes me about that long till the payments start making it in per my agreements with client.

I'm currently negotiating a way for this client to now take me over...would remove all risk from me and give me a 1k hour/year job helping them integrate the business versus the 3k hrs I've been doing as owner.  I like the work, have pride in the business and feel responsible for the workers, but the hours were just killing me and the last couple of very profitable years quickly getting me to FI did away with the financial need that keeps most of us going even when we know its unhealthy.... 

So, knock on wood, ....all of the sudden everything seems to be falling into place.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »

That sounds great!

Yes and Yes ;-), I'm a little over 90%+ now at 5%SWR and getting (what to me) is some really big payments that will drive it to 110%+, and thus get me to more of a 4.5%swr.  Definitely my most successful 5 months by far and it takes me about that long till the payments start making it in per my agreements with client.

I'm currently negotiating a way for this client to now take me over...would remove all risk from me and give me a 1k hour/year job helping them integrate the business versus the 3k hrs I've been doing as owner.  I like the work, have pride in the business and feel responsible for the workers, but the hours were just killing me and the last couple of very profitable years quickly getting me to FI did away with the financial need that keeps most of us going even when we know its unhealthy.... 

So, knock on wood, ....all of the sudden everything seems to be falling into place.

Awesome!    (And especially because you feel responsible for the people who work for you!  Way to go!)

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »
Anywhere from 50% to 100%+ depending of my mood of the day, and how much I want to spend... Answered 65%, going up fast.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2018, 05:08:56 PM »
Anywhere from 50% to 100%+ depending of my mood of the day, and how much I want to spend... Answered 65%, going up fast.

So...

You're saying your 100% on your FU fund, and 65% on our FI fund!   Good job!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »
Don't be shy, all you lurkers!    Let us know how you're doing!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
It's MLK day!  Time to enter your Financial Independence %!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2018, 06:48:00 AM »

We're at 110+% and FIRE in May.

We have 4 different income streams.

Social Security and disability for my wife and daughter.
Rental house income.
Rental farm income.
Stock/Bond portfolio.

I like having totally different income streams.  That way, if something goes wrong in one of them, the others are there to take up the slack.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »
Four snow days and a huge stock market run up so far this year.  Woot!

264 folks have answered the poll so far.  Don't be shy!   You'll be glad next year when you compare what you answered this year with your progress.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2018, 10:51:40 PM »
25% to an investment goal with a 4% SWR. Also two properties, but the 3-5 year plan is to sell both and buy something larger in a lower cost of living area for a family. Depending on how that goes/where we decide to move and what happens with our crazy real estate market, we'll either end up with a small mortgage, no mortgage, or a few hundred thousand extra in the bank - which would make a huge difference to our FI.

I am new to active consideration of FIRE, so happy with where we're at (though a generous gift/market gains/real estate appreciation has certainly helped), but there are so many unknowns in the next few years (invested and equities in a fast-growth start up with an exit strategy, husband just went through a career change and went back to work, trying to have a baby) that my plan is just to save as much as possible, manage my spending as much as possible, and see what happens!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2018, 02:28:06 PM »
25% to an investment goal with a 4% SWR. Also two properties, but the 3-5 year plan is to sell both and buy something larger in a lower cost of living area for a family. Depending on how that goes/where we decide to move and what happens with our crazy real estate market, we'll either end up with a small mortgage, no mortgage, or a few hundred thousand extra in the bank - which would make a huge difference to our FI.

I am new to active consideration of FIRE, so happy with where we're at (though a generous gift/market gains/real estate appreciation has certainly helped), but there are so many unknowns in the next few years (invested and equities in a fast-growth start up with an exit strategy, husband just went through a career change and went back to work, trying to have a baby) that my plan is just to save as much as possible, manage my spending as much as possible, and see what happens!

25% of the way to FI is serious progress!   Your ability to roll with life's punches has been immeasurably improved by getting that far!

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
Thanks @SwordGuy. Love your enthusiasm, and the general positivity of these forums. MMM is a far cry from the rave/techno/party forums I spent most of my teenage years in.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2018, 06:04:52 PM »
16.3% of folks in the poll have either FIRED or reached their FIRE number.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
I suppose 30% or so, but frankly there are so many variables in the next 10 years to know whether that's 30%, 15%, or 60% (ok probably not that much higher :D).