Poll

What's your CURRENT % of your Target Passive Income as of EOY 2017?

< 0%: I'm Bleeding money
2 (0.6%)
0 to 5%
21 (6.5%)
5.01 to 10%
14 (4.3%)
10.01 to 20%
28 (8.7%)
20.01 to 30%
43 (13.4%)
30.01 to 40%
33 (10.2%)
40.01 to 50%
30 (9.3%)
50.01 to 60%
28 (8.7%)
60.01 to 70%
24 (7.5%)
70.01 to 80%
16 (5%)
80.01 to 90% and FIREd
2 (0.6%)
80.01 to 90% and NOT FIREd
14 (4.3%)
90.01 to 100% and FIREd
1 (0.3%)
90.01 to 100% and NOT FIREd
14 (4.3%)
100.01 to 110% and FIREd
2 (0.6%)
100.01 to 110% and NOT FIREd
10 (3.1%)
110.01% and up, and FIREd
17 (5.3%)
110.01% and up, and NOT FIREd
20 (6.2%)
FIREd, other %
3 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Voting closed: February 05, 2018, 08:11:44 AM

Author Topic: What's your CURRENT EOY 2017 % of your Target Passive Income?  (Read 23708 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
What's your CURRENT EOY 2017 % of your Target Passive Income?
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »
Last year, there was a poll that asked what people's net worth is. 

That's useful info to know, but it didn't tell us how well their plan is working. 

If you're aiming for a given amount of passive income, via whatever plan you're using, how close are you?

For example, if you're aiming for a passive income of $40,000 using a 4% SWR via a 100% stocks and bonds portfolio, and you're portfolio is now worth $500,000, you're at 50%.

If you're planning on $20,000 in rental profits and $20,000 in stock/bond profits at a 5% withdrawal rate, then if your current rental profits are $12,000 and your stock/bond portfolio is $160,000, you're at 50%, too.

If you're going to sell your $500,000 paid for house with a realtor and buy a $200,000 house and invest the rest at in stocks and bonds with a 4% SWR, then you can count the equity as $300,000 * .094 (less realtor costs) as $282,000, which would shed off $11280.   Technically you have zero passive income, from this source, but, heck, the purpose is to figure out how close you are, and you're a lot closer than someone who doesn't have $300,000 in house equity that they can (and will) convert to stocks!

Oh, if you've got a $500,000 paid for house but you're not going to sell it when you FIRE, it counts as $0 towards your target income.

I'm curious!  Enquiring minds want to know!  :)

You can see last year's poll here if you're interested in comparing results:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/how-close-to-fi-are-you-what's-your-current-of-your-target-passive-income/msg1531197/#msg1531197

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's your CURRENT EOY 2017 % of your Target Passive Income?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »
Last poll was in April and I know I'll have extra funds by then that could push me up closer to the 50-60. But I wen with today numbers.

We're up from the 30-40 to 40-50
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:49:50 AM by boarder42 »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
Also, it would be great if you mention whether you're in the same bracket as last year, or have advanced or regressed.  If you're new to the poll, add some comments to flesh out your situation for the rest of us.

Thanks!

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
We're really close to hitting the 50% mark in investable assets based on the target we set for ourselves to FIRE. We're targeting a large FI number by MMM standards because we want to travel and enjoy a lot of hobbies in retirement. And my husband is convinced we'll end up in the poor house if we FIRE too early :)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:48:49 AM »
We're really close to hitting the 50% mark in investable assets based on the target we set for ourselves to FIRE. We're targeting a large FI number by MMM standards because we want to travel and enjoy a lot of hobbies in retirement. And my husband is convinced we'll end up in the poor house if we FIRE too early :)

We're FIREing in May, but also went for a larger FI number than many.   We have a handicapped child that will need assistance after we're gone, so the extra safety net was triply important to us.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
First I'm only a few years from FRA, time has a huge advantage.
 I haven't really picked a target passive income. Don't need to,
we won't spend all we can generate.
I can't get my wife to stop working.

I have a property I sold, that generates $12,000 a year in interest.
I have 6 or 7 REITs that generate about $27,000 a year in Dividends. (preferreds)
Another fund that generates over          $20,000 a year in dividends.
 So without trying to generate income, it is happening.
A family member wanted to borrow money to buy a property, I told wife if she wants to do it she needs her name on the deed. After purchase the property was sold on a contract. After a few years the family member wanted out. We happily got a little discount and started collecting all the interest, $12,000. Started at 11%, I renewed it at 8%.
 As the market rose, I looked at REIT preferreds as a bit of a bond proxy, a little diversification
from VTSAX. So now I have the $27,000 in dividends.
 Kinda fell into those, the REIT account was my play account and then it got serious.
 The last fund is mostly tax deffered accounts.
 I'm in a low tax bracket so no taxes on the dividends or interest.
3-1/2 years I'll get $20,000 in SS, a few more years and the wife will gets another $16,000.
So you see why I haven't picked a target passive income, we will never spend the money
that will be generated.
 And, I still can't get my wife to stop working.
I have two college kids, we're making sure they work enough so we can max fund their Roth IRAs.
Putting them through college and and getting them a good start in retirement funding is priority now.
 I suspect I'll be a loser on the tax bill, so I may sell all the REITs and move them in to my tax deferred accounts where they probably should be for many people. I've had an extremely low
tax bill, so having them in taxable accounts hasn't hurt me, buy next year may be different.
  After looking this over, I'm going to put 110% and up not fired.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »

Nice setup on the finances!   We're at 110% and not FIREd, too.   But only until May.  Then we'll be 110% and FIREd. :)

It took us a couple of years to psychologically accept that that's where we are.   The math is one thing and the emotions are another.   It took us a bit to catch up on the emotion side of the equation, plus we had a number of debts we wanted to pay off without touching the stash.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »

Nice setup on the finances!   We're at 110% and not FIREd, too.   But only until May.  Then we'll be 110% and FIREd. :)

It took us a couple of years to psychologically accept that that's where we are.   The math is one thing and the emotions are another.   It took us a bit to catch up on the emotion side of the equation, plus we had a number of debts we wanted to pay off without touching the stash.

With only investments I'd be working still in your shoes too. The market is at high valuations  And while I can't time it with my investing I can work a few extra months for some padding.  Probably would be fine with 4% but what's a few extra months when you've won.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 06:35:38 PM »
We are just over 80% of our way to our FIRE number.
I think.
We’ll see if we are brave enough to pull the trigger once we get there. :)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »
We are just over 80% of our way to our FIRE number.
I think.
We’ll see if we are brave enough to pull the trigger once we get there. :)

I understand that!   We waited a couple of years to improve the safety margins.  4 months and a couple of days to go for us!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
I chose 100%+ and not FIRED.  I'm not sure what I want to spend in the future.   We've been spending less than what 4% of our stash would provide right now.  Maybe we'll want to spend more later in life.  We're so busy working right now that we don't have time to spend much money.  Once retired we'll likely spend more because we want to travel more.  Padding the stash for another year or two.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 07:34:53 AM »

We're FIREing in May, but also went for a larger FI number than many.   We have a handicapped child that will need assistance after we're gone, so the extra safety net was triply important to us.

Same here Swordguy.  We have an adult cancer survivor child.   With such an uncertainty with health care in the future were padding the stash while we have good paying jobs.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »
This is a tough question when you have a vested pension, but have to work more to get it right away versus waiting to 65 to get payments.  I have 5 years to get my pension, but don't have enough in my other accounts to go forever without a pension, but its close.  I'm putting 100% / not FIREd, but its really subjective. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
This is a tough question when you have a vested pension, but have to work more to get it right away versus waiting to 65 to get payments.  I have 5 years to get my pension, but don't have enough in my other accounts to go forever without a pension, but its close.  I'm putting 100% / not FIREd, but its really subjective.

Yeah, pensions and non-vested items are problematic to me, too.

In one view, if you can't get $x out of it NOW, it's worth $0 NOW.     You might be 29 years, 6 months from getting a 30 year pension, but if you lose your job tomorrow, that pension might be worth $0.   In that case, from my perspective, it's worth $0 now.

However, in a different way of looking at it, if that pension would be enough, you're 29.5/30th of the way there.

I guess it's wise to look at it both ways at the same time. :)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 11:57:33 AM »
^ That's where I'm at. Pension will cover about 90% of my pre-retirement expenses, and I'm 16 mos. away.  My goal was to have $800k stashed in my own 401k (not including wife's or joint taxable accounts/IRAs/savings) -- I'm at $716k now, so 87.5% of the way.  Though in truth, I don't NEED $800k to FIRE; I just need the pension + $10k-$12k additional, so I'm already there with $716k (it'd be a 1.4% - 1.7% draw), but I WANT the extra cushion, and since I've got to stick around for the next 16 months anyway, there's no OMY thing going on, and I can't see any good reason to stop saving shitloads even though technically I don't have to. Hopefully, I'll leave behind a ton of money when I die that can be put to good use. So in reality, I'm 100%, not FIREd (but I voted 80-90%, not FIRED).*

* assuming, of course, that I don't value a not-yet collected pension as zero!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:02:56 PM by dude »

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
^ That's where I'm at. Pension will cover about 90% of my pre-retirement expenses, and I'm 16 mos. away.  My goal was to have $800k stashed in my own 401k (not including wife's or joint taxable accounts/IRAs/savings) -- I'm at $716k now, so 87.5% of the way.  Though in truth, I don't NEED $800k to FIRE; I just need the pension + $10k-$12k additional, so I'm already there with $716k (it'd be a 1.4% - 1.7% draw), but I WANT the extra cushion, and since I've got to stick around for the next 16 months anyway, there's no OMY thing going on, and I can't see any good reason to stop saving shitloads even though technically I don't have to. Hopefully, I'll leave behind a ton of money when I die that can be put to good use. So in reality, I'm 100%, not FIREd (but I voted 80-90%, not FIRED).*

No doubt it's worth that amount of time.  Maybe they can cut you lose a bit more, flex hours, maybe some unpaid leave, spot ya some vacation to ease the ride.  Good luck and well done.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 07:08:42 PM »
Aiming tentatively for 1 million (2017) dollars and a paid off house (or, more likely, equivalent $$$ above and beyond 1 million dollars). Currently 265,000 invested and renting, so put 20-30.

I'm also so far away that I have no idea what my actual spend will look like as I expect a number of significant life changes over the next 7-12 years. Spending averages in the low 20s including rent the past 3-4 years.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »
I am tentatively accepting that, at age 55 and living entirely off of rental income (minimal pay from my little part-time job has all been funneled directly into my Vanguard IRA), I am already FIREd with an annual income of about $50,000. Weird that it only just occurred to me this year, since my rental property has been paying 100% of my bills for at least 5 years. I still feel vulnerable because I know my portfolio is not diversified enough. So I'm working on beefing up the non-real estate portion, gradually shifting profits from RE to equities/bonds, but it's only about $250,000 right now. Assuming SS is preserved, I won't get much, but even a low amount like $900 a month will be a welcome additional income stream.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »

No doubt it's worth that amount of time.  Maybe they can cut you lose a bit more, flex hours, maybe some unpaid leave, spot ya some vacation to ease the ride.  Good luck and well done.

haha! thanks man! yeah, i'll definitely be winding down towards the end of the coming year, and more or less be absent for much of the last 4 months of my career. time to make way for some new blood.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
Aiming tentatively for 1 million (2017) dollars and a paid off house (or, more likely, equivalent $$$ above and beyond 1 million dollars). Currently 265,000 invested and renting, so put 20-30.

I'm also so far away that I have no idea what my actual spend will look like as I expect a number of significant life changes over the next 7-12 years. Spending averages in the low 20s including rent the past 3-4 years.

You're on a really good trajectory!  Congrats!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
~60% of baseline FI ($24k/yr)

Up from ~42% last year.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »
Based on current spending I need about $1 million. That's a way off though and could change by then, especially since we plan to buy a house and pay it off as soon as we can. Not having rent or a mortgage payment would drop FIRE to around $700k. At this point I'm still in the 5-10% category which probably won't change a whole lot in the next few years as were going to be putting all of our spare cash towards replacing our vehicles with slightly newer ones (17 and 8 years old, respectively) then saving up for a down payment on a house. I'll still be setting aside enough to get my full 401k match but with a big family and a single income it's pretty hard to save more than about $10k a year right now. Another seven years in the National Guard and I'll qualify for a pension but I won't be able to start collecting it until age 60 and at that time I anticipate it will be around $10k/year in future dollars which will have a present value of maybe another 50k.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
~60% of baseline FI ($24k/yr)

Up from ~42% last year.

That's awesome!   You're kicking butt!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 01:33:32 PM »
Based on current spending I need about $1 million. That's a way off though and could change by then, especially since we plan to buy a house and pay it off as soon as we can. Not having rent or a mortgage payment would drop FIRE to around $700k. At this point I'm still in the 5-10% category which probably won't change a whole lot in the next few years as were going to be putting all of our spare cash towards replacing our vehicles with slightly newer ones (17 and 8 years old, respectively) then saving up for a down payment on a house. I'll still be setting aside enough to get my full 401k match but with a big family and a single income it's pretty hard to save more than about $10k a year right now. Another seven years in the National Guard and I'll qualify for a pension but I won't be able to start collecting it until age 60 and at that time I anticipate it will be around $10k/year in future dollars which will have a present value of maybe another 50k.

You're making solid progress and that's what's important!     

Having lots of kids or a special needs child definitely puts a damper on the FI speed of achievement.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »

Having lots of kids or a special needs child definitely puts a damper on the FI speed of achievement.

Yes. Even if my income went up 50% FIRE would still be a decade or more away. With a single-earner and the need to have a larger house, car, food, etc. it would be very difficult to save anything like the 30%-50% that some people are able to, especially if they're single or DINK.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »

Yes. Even if my income went up 50% FIRE would still be a decade or more away. With a single-earner and the need to have a larger house, car, food, etc. it would be very difficult to save anything like the 30%-50% that some people are able to, especially if they're single or DINK.

But the really important thing about this whole FI thing is that it sets you up to live a good quality life and provide for the ones you love when things are bad.   And that's just what you're doing.   Plus after a few years (assuming no more kids), your spouse will be able to work part time once the kids are all in school, which will really help out.  Also, assuming, of course, that's what you both want to have happen.

Melf

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »
I voted 110% and up, FIRE'd.  My investments are $880K+ with $75K in cash for a total NW of just over $950K.  My annual spend/budget for the last couple years has been in the low $20K's so I think I'm in good shape.  I didn't vote in the previous poll but was still above 110% a year ago.

palerider1858

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »
14% currently and up from 6% in 2016. Just getting started and have a long way to go.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
14% currently and up from 6% in 2016. Just getting started and have a long way to go.

8% of the way to your goal in just one year!  That's awesome!

Once those investments start compounding progress just goes faster and faster!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 04:20:26 PM »
Fire'd, currently at 127% of net worth not including payed off house of predetermined needed amount for SWR of 4% which I have being taken for first 3 years. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 08:47:09 PM »
Fire'd, currently at 127% of net worth not including payed off house of predetermined needed amount for SWR of 4% which I have being taken for first 3 years.

I'm not sure I follow you.   Could you rephrase that a bit for clarity?  My brain's still foggy from the anti-histamines!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 06:20:04 AM »
I voted 110% and up, FIRE'd.  My investments are $880K+ with $75K in cash for a total NW of just over $950K.  My annual spend/budget for the last couple years has been in the low $20K's so I think I'm in good shape.  I didn't vote in the previous poll but was still above 110% a year ago.

With an annual spend in the low $20Ks and that much in investments, I agree with you!  Definitely in good shape!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »
Almost 20% of respondents so far have hit their FIRE number.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
Went up 5% last year, 6% this year, and will add between 8-20% in 2018. Pretty excited. I think it's at about the 3-year mark you can finally see the cart start to pull itself.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
I'm the below zero vote.

Negative gearing FTW! Lose a few thousand cash on 2 rental properties, gain back a hundred thousand on capital appreciation.

Next year I'll be in the black on a cash basis, as index fund dividends start to climb.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »
I'm the below zero vote.

Negative gearing FTW! Lose a few thousand cash on 2 rental properties, gain back a hundred thousand on capital appreciation.

Next year I'll be in the black on a cash basis, as index fund dividends start to climb.

Sounds like a winning plan!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 03:41:36 PM »
Cracked the 50% funding point back in October.  That was a long time coming...15 years, in fact.  But I expect much faster progress in the next ~5 years...hopefully to the 100% point or beyond.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
Cracked the 50% funding point back in October.  That was a long time coming...15 years, in fact.  But I expect much faster progress in the next ~5 years...hopefully to the 100% point or beyond.

Very true!

Well, except when the market tanks and we all feel we're going backwards instead of making progress.  But if stay the course and continue to invest, progress will accelerate even faster when it recovers.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 06:14:41 PM »
Good words Swordguy.  This stuff goes backwards even faster than forward.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »
We crushed it this year, going from 85% at the end of 2016 to well over 100% at the end of 2017.

Still working, though, in an attempt to buffer future charitable giving.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »
71% @ 4%WR & 89% @ 5%WR. I'm not working past 4% so the pin will get pulled somewhere between 4% & 5%.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2018, 04:50:46 AM »

I'm not sure I follow you.   Could you rephrase that a bit for clarity?  My brain's still foggy from the anti-histamines!

When I Fire'd I set my withdrawl to be 4% of the amount invested at that time . I am currently 127% beyond that amount when I fired which puts me at about 33x's my fire'd amount. No debt, and does not include my paid for house which is currently worth conservatively 300k. Hope that helps and I understood question /poll right to answer it right! :-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »

When I Fire'd I set my withdrawl to be 4% of the amount invested at that time . I am currently 127% beyond that amount when I fired which puts me at about 33x's my fire'd amount. No debt, and does not include my paid for house which is currently worth conservatively 300k. Hope that helps and I understood question /poll right to answer it right! :-)

Thanks, it makes sense to me now.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:31:48 AM by SwordGuy »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »

Very true!

Well, except when the market tanks and we all feel we're going backwards instead of making progress.  But if stay the course and continue to invest, progress will accelerate even faster when it recovers.

Yup.  That's why I added the "~" LOL.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2018, 08:36:30 AM »
We're at 70.3% of a somewhat arbitrary $74k passive income goal.

At the end of last year we were at 59.5%.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 11:23:13 AM »
This time I'm barely into the "110.01% and up" group.

I don't think I could properly articulate why, but the phrase "barely into" in this context made me snort with laughter.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
I also selected 110%+ and FIREd but it's tricky. I have expenses at the moment that will go away in time. My spending last year includes some daycare (which is done, for the next little while, but we'll probably start doing 1-2 days a week at some point this year... depends how stingy I'm feeling vs how much I want some actual alone time), and a car loan (which will probably be paid off shortly... it's at 3%... so I'm not sure I should bother but eh.. cash flow!).

The biggie is that we really should move, but if we can stick it out here another year or two we'll basically have paid the current mortgage off. It all becomes so... theoretical? when you have some liquid assets. I could do this, or I could keep the debt.

So based on last year's spending I'm pretty much at 100% using 4%. Going forward - short term, no moving, car loan gone and no daycare - I'm at 130%. Then drop the mortgage I'd be at closer to 170%. Add back in a larger mortgage and I'm at I-don't-know.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »
We crushed it this year, going from 85% at the end of 2016 to well over 100% at the end of 2017.

Still working, though, in an attempt to buffer future charitable giving.

Now that's a *good* plan in both senses of the word.  Good for you!  We want to be able to do the same thing.

My wife said the only reason she would like to be really rich would be to set up a charitable foundation.   Me too.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »
We're at 70.3% of a somewhat arbitrary $74k passive income goal.

At the end of last year we were at 59.5%.

Wow!  Almost 11% of the way to your goal in just one year.  Way to rock that plan!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
We’re at 20-25% after 3 years. Should get there in 10 years if we continue on course!