Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1296789 times)

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2950 on: December 22, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »
Well did it, ordered. 2021 Acura NSX.  Gotta wait til March to get it though. Gonna be a long winter.

Awesome! I just sold my 570s and miss it already! Don’t miss the attention or strangers following me to my house, but I do really miss the car! Enjoy it!

The McLaren is a gorgeous car, they were on my list but ultimately since it's going to be my daily driver I decided to go Honda instead. It doesn't help that the nearest McLaren dealer is several hours from me.  Hopefully the NSX is stealth enough that creepers aren't following me around 🤨. The McLaren is definitely more exotic looking. 

broketriathlete

• Stubble
  • Mustachian Student
« Reply #2951 on: December 22, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »
Well did it, ordered. 2021 Acura NSX.  Gotta wait til March to get it though. Gonna be a long winter.

Awesome! I just sold my 570s and miss it already! Don’t miss the attention or strangers following me to my house, but I do really miss the car! Enjoy it!

The McLaren is a gorgeous car, they were on my list but ultimately since it's going to be my daily driver I decided to go Honda instead. It doesn't help that the nearest McLaren dealer is several hours from me.  Hopefully the NSX is stealth enough that creepers aren't following me around 🤨. The McLaren is definitely more exotic looking.

You picked an awesome car. I looked closely at that. Fortunately, my Mclaren dealer is only 20 minutes away so really lucked out there.

Enjoy your car. Post pics once it’s acquired

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2952 on: December 22, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »
I'm lusting after a Class B RV.  I've been watching a lot of van conversion videos.  I would love to be able to travel freely.  The thing is I hate driving big vehicles.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2953 on: December 24, 2020, 01:29:14 PM »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2954 on: March 29, 2021, 05:44:53 AM »
I don't know if I ever mentioned it here, but I've had my eye on one of those ridiculously expensive countertop ice makers that makes nugget ice (otherwise known as Sonic ice).  I finally pulled the plug and ordered it this morning after saving up some gift cards and Discover points.  I didn't get the GE model, but went with one that you can actually plumb directly into the water supply.   

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2955 on: March 29, 2021, 06:13:41 AM »
I don't know if I ever mentioned it here, but I've had my eye on one of those ridiculously expensive countertop ice makers that makes nugget ice (otherwise known as Sonic ice).  I finally pulled the plug and ordered it this morning after saving up some gift cards and Discover points.  I didn't get the GE model, but went with one that you can actually plumb directly into the water supply.   
Link????

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2956 on: March 29, 2021, 06:21:54 AM »

I looked up the machine but my question is why don't you get an icemaker for your freezer. My icemaker makes a ton of ice every day. More than we can ever use and we are big ice users. Plus, to me, counter space is like gold and one more thing on mine would make me nuts. Maybe it could be useful in another room other than the kitchen like a familly room or an enclosed deck.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2957 on: March 29, 2021, 06:28:49 AM »
Link????

This is the one I ordered. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MWKNPCL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2958 on: March 29, 2021, 06:31:43 AM »

I looked up the machine but my question is why don't you get an icemaker for your freezer. My icemaker makes a ton of ice every day. More than we can ever use and we are big ice users. Plus, to me, counter space is like gold and one more thing on mine would make me nuts. Maybe it could be useful in another room other than the kitchen like a familly room or an enclosed deck.

Because I haven't found a built-in ice maker that makes nugget ice. 

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2959 on: March 29, 2021, 07:02:56 AM »

You picked an awesome car. I looked closely at that. Fortunately, my Mclaren dealer is only 20 minutes away so really lucked out there.

Finally got my order date for the new NSX, should come off the assembly line in min May.  The semiconductor shortage gas really impacted builds.  According to Acura they are only expecting to make 80-99 NSX all year this year. 

Oh yeah we also just bought a 2018 AMG G63 G Wagon, my wife has wanted one forever and decided since I was getting a new car she would too.  I love the G, it's so fun to drive around in.  Already plotting on some off-road excursions.  Did I mention it's a blast to drive?

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2960 on: March 29, 2021, 10:45:17 AM »
Link????

This is the one I ordered. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MWKNPCL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My DH bought me a countertop ice crusher model for last year's birthday. It meant we perfected our Mai Tai recipe. ;)

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2961 on: March 30, 2021, 01:59:50 AM »

Finally got my order date for the new NSX, should come off the assembly line in min May.  The semiconductor shortage gas really impacted builds.  According to Acura they are only expecting to make 80-99 NSX all year this year. 

Oh yeah we also just bought a 2018 AMG G63 G Wagon, my wife has wanted one forever and decided since I was getting a new car she would too.  I love the G, it's so fun to drive around in.  Already plotting on some off-road excursions.  Did I mention it's a blast to drive?

Exciting. That's not very far at all.

The Chevy Corvette finally is launching in Australia with a list price of $145,000. Although that sounds like "a lot", it's not much, because everything nice in Australia is ridiculously expensive - $145,000 is how much a C63 or M3 costs here to buy. So getting a Corvette for M3 money sounds like a fantastically good deal to me. I'll have to check it out.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #2962 on: March 31, 2021, 02:18:34 PM »
A Poop emoji winter hat, the pajama set, and the giant stuffed version. I love the poop emoji.

We have a winner.  Maybe we can all chip in as a prize
I disagree. Poop emoji items sound reasonable compared to the actual shit cars and motorcycles people are admitting to buying and owning in this thread.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2963 on: March 31, 2021, 05:49:27 PM »
A Poop emoji winter hat, the pajama set, and the giant stuffed version. I love the poop emoji.

I disagree. Poop emoji items sound reasonable compared to the actual shit cars and motorcycles people are admitting to buying and owning in this thread.

Unless you have driven a NSX, a sports bike or a McLaren, I don't think you can comment on the value their owners get out of them. As long as it fits within their financial goals and it is gotten at a reasonable price for what it is, I don't judge others' hedonistic spending.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #2964 on: March 31, 2021, 06:23:20 PM »

Unless you have driven a NSX, a sports bike or a McLaren, I don't think you can comment on the value their owners get out of them. As long as it fits within their financial goals and it is gotten at a reasonable price for what it is, I don't judge others' hedonistic spending.

In my opinion, cars are death machines that are good for killing ourselves, other random people, our cities and our planet. In some cases they might be a necessary evil, but still evil. I am a driver myself, and I don’t feel I’m being especially judgmental or saying that anyone here is a bad person. But, man, there’s a lot of stupid shit here.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2965 on: March 31, 2021, 06:59:57 PM »
Well, that's nice. A car pollutes a lot less than, say, a child. Especially when only driven for recreational purposes (the car, not the child). I don't usually go around berating people for having children though.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2966 on: April 01, 2021, 04:18:33 AM »

In my opinion, cars are death machines that are good for killing ourselves, other random people, our cities and our planet. In some cases they might be a necessary evil, but still evil. I am a driver myself, and I don’t feel I’m being especially judgmental or saying that anyone here is a bad person. But, man, there’s a lot of stupid shit here.

Lol don't you have like three kids?  That's something like 100x the carbon impact of my car and no kid lifestyle.  Go put that poop hat on and sit in the corner. 

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #2967 on: April 01, 2021, 05:35:16 AM »
My wife and I were gifted a beautiful baby grand piano, and for only about 5k I can install a module and convert it to a full-blown player piano. Mozart piano concerto in the living room, anyone? How about a little Strauss before bedtime? I may actually do this one day but not in the near future.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2968 on: April 01, 2021, 06:04:27 AM »

The Chevy Corvette finally is launching in Australia with a list price of $145,000. Although that sounds like "a lot", it's not much, because everything nice in Australia is ridiculously expensive - $145,000 is how much a C63 or M3 costs here to buy. So getting a Corvette for M3 money sounds like a fantastically good deal to me. I'll have to check it out.

Dang $145k for a C8 is a lot, but I guess that's the overseas market for you.  Heck I recently saw they stopped selling the NSX in Australia so at least you'll be able to check the corvette out.  I find the C8 stingray a little too "American" looking - in person it just seems like they're trying a bit too hard with the various pieces of body flare, almost like they want it to look like a transformer.  And the back end looks like a fat person sat in the middle of the trunk and smooshed it.  But there's no denying the performance for the price point (at least in the US).  I just find the NSX a more elegant looking design.  Clearly the C8 will sell better though.

knot12gossip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2969 on: April 01, 2021, 06:44:37 AM »
I recently bought a new car and have been obsessed with the black exterior, black interior theme. I would like to "purchase" black rims/wheels for the already "new" car, I think I'm going crazy

If I get the manufacturers OEM stock black rims a set will cost $1400,  not including installation and tax.
There are other brands that cost more and cost less out on the market.  I need to get the windows tinted before  anything else but, I'm craving those black rims.

ohio4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2970 on: April 01, 2021, 08:28:13 AM »
I want a new to me Miata. I can't seem to find a decent one under about $12k. Hard to justify when my primary vehicle is rarely driven and is worth $7k.

I want an electric bike, but I don't have a good space to store it. If I have to commute to work everyday in the near future this would be my daily driver. I already have a bike and can take the bus or even walk. Also hard to justify the expense when I have so many free or nearly free transportation options.

I've also considered building a PC, but I am not even sure why. Just the hobby/project aspect appeals to me, I guess.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2971 on: April 01, 2021, 10:32:42 AM »

Dang $145k for a C8 is a lot, but I guess that's the overseas market for you.  Heck I recently saw they stopped selling the NSX in Australia so at least you'll be able to check the corvette out.  I find the C8 stingray a little too "American" looking - in person it just seems like they're trying a bit too hard with the various pieces of body flare, almost like they want it to look like a transformer.  And the back end looks like a fat person sat in the middle of the trunk and smooshed it.  But there's no denying the performance for the price point (at least in the US).  I just find the NSX a more elegant looking design.  Clearly the C8 will sell better though.

To give you some sense of scale, a NSX in Australia is $400k!

The C8 looks great from some angles in photos, and from other angles it looks like a somewhat stretched, less good looking McLaren. I'll have to reserve judgment for when I see it in person :)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2972 on: April 02, 2021, 05:47:40 AM »
I gotta say that if I'm spending that much on a Corvette then this is the one I'm after:

http://www.vinceconncorvette.com/for-sale/?galleryID=273

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2973 on: April 02, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »
Well, this seems to have turned into a clown-car lust thread, but...

I'm lusting after all sorts of new furnishings and decor.  We've made do for decades with hand-me-downs we never especially liked and Ikea crap and stuff the many sets of movers have battered and broken.  I just feel so DONE and I want nice shit.  Super comfy chairs.  Area rugs (large!) Pretty lamps.  Even throw pillows! 

And those last two?  Shockingly expensive!  I didn't expect lamps to be something at frequently cost well over $100, and ofter over $200.  And there are throw pillows that cost $100+, and these are not silk or hand-embroidered, or anything else I can determine that would push up costs. 

Once I'm fully vaxxed, I'm planning trips to Home Goods and thrift stores and I assume that with some patience I will be able to score a lot of these types of items there or on FB Marketplace.  Perhaps not-so-much the furniture, but somehow paying $300 for a chair seems more palatable than paying $175 for a lamp or $85 for a throw pillow. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2974 on: April 02, 2021, 11:13:30 AM »
@Villanelle, I've been struggling with the rug thing too.  There are a couple of places in my house that could really use a rug.  But the only one I've found that I really like has some suspect reviews online.  It's not terribly expensive, but I don't want to buy something that's going to fall apart in 2 years.  I did that with a couch and learned my lesson.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2975 on: April 02, 2021, 11:36:05 AM »
i still want a tri-motor Tesla cyber truck or a yoked out diesel truck, maybe in 3-4 years
i think a ranch/farm property would be a great family legacy type investment, stupid as i live in the city, but a far off dream

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2976 on: April 02, 2021, 11:48:05 AM »
My stupid lusting item is now a deep fryer. Not an air fryer, or even a kitchen grade one. No, I'm looking at commercial grade deep fryers that hold 20-40 pounds of oil in them to help me in my Covid-induced quest to make the perfect french fry at home.

While it's easy to spend well over $1,000, I'm limiting myself to a couple hundred and am now waiting for a used one to become available nearby.

If I was closer to San Francisco, this one would be mine:
https://ebay.us/UYMBAv
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:51:02 AM by YttriumNitrate »

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2977 on: April 02, 2021, 11:52:52 AM »

Lol don't you have like three kids?  That's something like 100x the carbon impact of my car and no kid lifestyle.  Go put that poop hat on and sit in the corner.

In a forum thread titled "What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?" attached to a environmental/personal finance blog that advocates for face punching we can't even call buying 6 figure cars stupid?

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2978 on: April 02, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
Definitely face punch worthy, but really, is a limited-run, hand-built super expensive car any more resource intensive than a mass-built assembly line car?

(Looking forward to the counter/argument. I can think of many...)

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2979 on: April 02, 2021, 03:16:43 PM »
Been staring nonstop at fancy Japanese hot spring ryokans with cypress baths, fancy twelve course meals, and lakeside balconies for the last week or so.  The cheapest ones are $325+ per person per night, and the ones I'm REALLY lusting after are upward of $800 per person per night.  Good thing travel bans are still in effect, lol.  After over a year of lockdown and obviously no travel, my inner monkey brain is ready to chuck the whole wallet out the window if it means a change in scenery and a chance to relax.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2980 on: April 02, 2021, 03:25:18 PM »
To get layed off so I can enjoy the rent free, utility free, student loan forgiveness free, everything FUCKING FREE for doing nothing.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2981 on: April 02, 2021, 03:36:51 PM »
To get layed off so I can enjoy the rent free, utility free, student loan forgiveness free, everything FUCKING FREE for doing nothing.

Sounds more like you're bitter that there's a safety net for those impacted by the pandemic, but perhaps that's just my perception.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2982 on: April 02, 2021, 04:08:38 PM »
WOW, please tell me all about this wonderful program available for those who are laid off.  I know people heavily impacted by the pandemic who could really use it.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2983 on: April 02, 2021, 04:15:44 PM »
I'd invite you to sprawling tent villages in my local city parks, but it looks like all the good spots are already taken.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2984 on: April 02, 2021, 05:48:48 PM »

In a forum thread titled "What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?" attached to a environmental/personal finance blog that advocates for face punching we can't even call buying 6 figure cars stupid?

No, the entire point of this thread is to be a safe space to talk about ridiculous things we are lusting after.  If I posted a thread complaining about being tight on cash but I also had a line item for a $170k car in there then yeah, face punch away.  As it is, the NSX is less than a month's household salary so it's actually pretty damn mustachian, and a lot more environmentally friendly than a kid.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2985 on: April 02, 2021, 05:59:10 PM »

To give you some sense of scale, a NSX in Australia is $400k!

The C8 looks great from some angles in photos, and from other angles it looks like a somewhat stretched, less good looking McLaren. I'll have to reserve judgment for when I see it in person :)

Oof, 400k!?  I'll take an F8 Tribute for that price thank you very much.  NSX ain't that cool...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2986 on: April 03, 2021, 10:36:27 AM »
I am waivering between punching myself in the face or buying a new Ford Bronco. I have already picked out the colour and the trim package... it will wind up costing about $48,000...
I am over 50, i have never spent more than $35,000 a year  on annual living expenses, never owned anything even close to a new car, tnw $2.4 M and will likely have an income in excess of $200,000 for at least several more years...(I have a great side gig/business).
I do need a reliable offroad capable vehicle large enough to sleep in, and I have been unsuccessful at finding any alternative vehicle that both meets my needs and actually interests me, other than this new ridiculous clown car Bronco. I am looking for either external validation or a viable alternative or face punching intervention.
All responses welcome!

Rivian R1S.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2987 on: April 03, 2021, 11:53:41 AM »
Patio furniture.

If I can find some thing used for under $500, I might indulge myself.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2988 on: April 03, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »
Well, this seems to have turned into a clown-car lust thread, but...

I'm lusting after all sorts of new furnishings and decor.  We've made do for decades with hand-me-downs we never especially liked and Ikea crap and stuff the many sets of movers have battered and broken.  I just feel so DONE and I want nice shit.  Super comfy chairs.  Area rugs (large!) Pretty lamps.  Even throw pillows! 

And those last two?  Shockingly expensive!  I didn't expect lamps to be something at frequently cost well over $100, and ofter over $200.  And there are throw pillows that cost $100+, and these are not silk or hand-embroidered, or anything else I can determine that would push up costs. 

Once I'm fully vaxxed, I'm planning trips to Home Goods and thrift stores and I assume that with some patience I will be able to score a lot of these types of items there or on FB Marketplace.  Perhaps not-so-much the furniture, but somehow paying $300 for a chair seems more palatable than paying $175 for a lamp or $85 for a throw pillow.

We've found that one of the best deals at the consignment home decor stores around here has been for lamps.  New lamps can be ridiculously expensive, and discount stores like Home Goods & Ikea sell really cheap looking ones.  We've found really nice lamps for $20-50 each.  It's much harder to find matching pairs, but after we eventually scored on a pair of exquisite bronze lamps with fancy pleated shades for about $100.  They look like they probably retailed for $500 each new. 

We'd been wanting a Persian rug for the living room & a friend recommended looking on eBay.  When I looked there I found a huge selection, but didn't like the idea of ordering something without seeing it in person. So, I set the location filter to see which sellers were nearby.  We found a local store that was owned by an Iranian family who really knew a lot about their rugs and helped us select just the right one.  It was a much better shopping experience than when we'd shopped at the rug and furniture outlets.  The only negative aspect about our rug purchase is that it was easy to "upsell myself" and choose a fancier rug than I might have if I hadn't seen the better ones.  (The higher "knot count" per inch increases the level of detail.)  I think the one we chose has a 250 kpsi.  They had one with a 500 kpsi which I felt was too nice to walk on, and would probably wall mount if I ever buy one. 

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2989 on: April 04, 2021, 02:59:49 PM »
I am waivering between punching myself in the face or buying a new Ford Bronco. I have already picked out the colour and the trim package... it will wind up costing about $48,000...
I am over 50, i have never spent more than $35,000 a year  on annual living expenses, never owned anything even close to a new car, tnw $2.4 M and will likely have an income in excess of $200,000 for at least several more years...(I have a great side gig/business).
I do need a reliable offroad capable vehicle large enough to sleep in, and I have been unsuccessful at finding any alternative vehicle that both meets my needs and actually interests me, other than this new ridiculous clown car Bronco. I am looking for either external validation or a viable alternative or face punching intervention.
All responses welcome!

Rivian R1S.

Get a clean pickup truck with a 6 foot box and put a canopy over the bed.   It's very comfortable for 1 person and a lot more utilitarian than a bronco.   Probably a bit cheaper, too.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2990 on: April 04, 2021, 07:40:49 PM »
I'm not really a materialistic person, and I'd never spend the money or the maintenance costs, but sometimes I think if I had a few billion dollars I'd buy a G700 and just live my life in the air all the time, like a cruising hotel. Probably not very environmentally friendly though.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #2991 on: April 05, 2021, 12:07:57 AM »
I'm not really a materialistic person, and I'd never spend the money or the maintenance costs, but sometimes I think if I had a few billion dollars I'd buy a G700 and just live my life in the air all the time, like a cruising hotel. Probably not very environmentally friendly though.

The mustachian choice would be a Grumman Albatross.  You'd be buying used, so it would cost about 1% of the cost of the Gulfstream.  Fuel and maintenance costs would be a fraction of the jet.  You could land pretty much anywhere in the world, not just at mile-long runways.  You could leave the interior bare bones, pay an outrageous amount to install a luxurious cabin, or take the mustachian path of installing an interior yourself. 

Money aside, IMHO there would be no comparison in coolness factor, but ymmv.   

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2992 on: April 05, 2021, 08:39:44 AM »

The mustachian choice would be a Grumman Albatross.  You'd be buying used, so it would cost about 1% of the cost of the Gulfstream.  Fuel and maintenance costs would be a fraction of the jet.  You could land pretty much anywhere in the world, not just at mile-long runways.  You could leave the interior bare bones, pay an outrageous amount to install a luxurious cabin, or take the mustachian path of installing an interior yourself. 

That would be ridiculously cool. Not sure about maintenance costs though as it can be pretty spendy keeping an old (~1950s era) plane running. Some basic calculations show fuel costs are probably about 40% less than the G700. Also, if you want to fly across the ocean you'll need to get creative due to the relatively limited range (e.g. New York -> Reykjavik -> [Europe]).

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2993 on: April 05, 2021, 08:45:39 AM »

That would be ridiculously cool. Not sure about maintenance costs though as it can be pretty spendy keeping an old (~1950s era) plane running. Some basic calculations show fuel costs are probably about 40% less than the G700. Also, if you want to fly across the ocean you'll need to get creative due to the relatively limited range (e.g. New York -> Reykjavik -> [Europe]).

If you want a real life example, read Jimmy Buffet's book A Pirate looks at Fifty

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #2994 on: April 05, 2021, 08:48:52 AM »

Coolness factor would be through the roof.  Why go to Europe when you can island hop through the Caribbean?  Private beaches until you need a grocery run.  Fresh seafood daily.  Head to Brazil for hurricane season.  I see a lot of advantages here.

You'd definitely need to learn to fix your own engine.  AAA probably wouldn't make service calls.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2995 on: April 05, 2021, 08:55:02 AM »

If you want a real life example, read Jimmy Buffet's book A Pirate looks at Fifty

Ah, interesting. I didn't know about that. Those planes are about 50% older now though (~70 years vs ~45 years) than when the book was written.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2996 on: April 05, 2021, 10:04:09 AM »
A covered patio.

I really want a nice hard-surface area out of the weather to sit outside and grill, WFH, relax, read, whatever. There's currently a thunderstorm brewing in the distance and I would love to move my laptop outside to work so I can enjoy the rumbling of the thunder.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #2997 on: April 05, 2021, 11:33:27 AM »

Ah, interesting. I didn't know about that. Those planes are about 50% older now though (~70 years vs ~45 years) than when the book was written.

I had read "A Pirate Look at Fifty" but my brother sent me a video he had taken some years back of a guy landing a flying boat that he was using as a flying RV for his family. 

I suppose the maintenance and operating costs of a 70-year-old radial engined aircraft would be somewhere between nose-bleedingly high and astronomical, but I suspect that it would be peanuts compared to buying and operating a 70 million dollar gulfstream.  That said, there are plenty of DC3s and C47s flying today that are older than Albatrosses.  Many have been upgraded with modern turboprop engines and can be expected to keep flying for a long time. 

When I see a private jet land, I yawn and wonder what kind of jerk is going to get out.  If I saw a flying boat coming in, I'd stop what I was doing, watch it land and wonder what kind of adventurer was going to get out.  I suppose I'd be vaguely disappointed if he/she didn't have an eyepatch. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2998 on: April 06, 2021, 12:14:30 PM »
I was at target today and they still had those little house on the prairie dresses. I was tempted but I'm not sure if I would keep wearing it after the fad goes away. They look comfy though.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2999 on: April 06, 2021, 02:33:46 PM »
I was at target today and they still had those little house on the prairie dresses. I was tempted but I'm not sure if I would keep wearing it after the fad goes away. They look comfy though.
Don't worry, they'll turn up in the Op Shops in about 2 months...