Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288356 times)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2850 on: November 19, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »
(it's a lot more costly and maintenance-intensive than you think, and less convenient than you hope), but still it persists :)

Yup, that's one of the reasons I'm interested in experimental: you are allowed to do your own maintenance. But, it's still really expensive. Those planes listed use about 10 gallons of 100LL per hour, which is about $50/hr just in fuel. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere it just isn't a realistic goal. I mean, I could OMY a couple of years and afford it, but I think I'd rather do something else with my life because I don't actually want to live in a rural community.

I've been thinking of getting a private license and IF i really enjoy flying, then making it into a sort of barista FIRE sort of job. Probably as a CFI since flying around this area is absolutely stunning and someone else would pay for the fuel... If I don't enjoy it as much as I hope, I'll have to find something else to do like build a house with a view...

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2851 on: November 19, 2020, 11:12:25 AM »
Alternatepriorities,

I've actually had similar thoughts around becoming a helicopter pilot and taking some random helicopter jobs (inspecting power lines, flying to oil platforms, etc). But at this point I'm leaning more towards vagabonding for a few years and then maybe finding a flat in a cheap European city.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2852 on: November 19, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »
Alternatepriorities,

I've actually had similar thoughts around becoming a helicopter pilot and taking some random helicopter jobs (inspecting power lines, flying to oil platforms, etc). But at this point I'm leaning more towards vagabonding for a few years and then maybe finding a flat in a cheap European city.

Yeah, If DW was ready to be done, I think there is a pretty good chance we would start with Vagabonding. She will probably work for a few more years though so I'm looking for something to do that I enjoy more than making money...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2853 on: November 19, 2020, 01:45:41 PM »
(it's a lot more costly and maintenance-intensive than you think, and less convenient than you hope), but still it persists :)

Yup, that's one of the reasons I'm interested in experimental: you are allowed to do your own maintenance. But, it's still really expensive. Those planes listed use about 10 gallons of 100LL per hour, which is about $50/hr just in fuel. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere it just isn't a realistic goal. I mean, I could OMY a couple of years and afford it, but I think I'd rather do something else with my life because I don't actually want to live in a rural community.
Doing your own maintenance (beyond simple things like changing the oil) only applies to an airplane you built yourself, so even if you bought an E-AB aircraft from someone else, you still have to take it to an A&P.  That said, depending on the plane, engine, and speed, burning <5GPH is very doable.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2854 on: November 19, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »

Doing your own maintenance (beyond simple things like changing the oil) only applies to an airplane you built yourself, so even if you bought an E-AB aircraft from someone else, you still have to take it to an A&P.  That said, depending on the plane, engine, and speed, burning <5GPH is very doable.

Fortunately my BIL is an A&P who wants to get his pilots license... so if I did really get into flying, became a CFI, and bought a plane we could probably work something out.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2855 on: November 19, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »

Yup, the Waiex comes to mind, and it will run automobile fuel with most or all of the engine options. But at that point you aircraft isn't all the utilitarian.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:00:42 PM by PDXTabs »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2856 on: November 22, 2020, 11:07:06 PM »
I've been wanting a new TV for the best part of a year...I reckon I'll probably cave if the Black Friday sales are any good.

I've recently started looking at getting a pressure washer. I was going to borrow my dad's yesterday to clean the concrete here, but it broke. It wouldn't go to waste, I could use it to wash my car.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:29:34 PM by alsoknownasDean »

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2857 on: November 23, 2020, 12:09:53 AM »
A new cutting board. Unsure what type of wood/bamboo. Something natural material. Suggestions welcome.
Recently bought some good Victorinox Fibrox knives and realized my el cheapo Walmart board might be ruining the knives.

Do your homework on the bamboo boards before buying.  Some are as hard as plastic for the knives. 

End grain regular wood is what you want. I got mine made out of oak and ash from a local wood working shop.  Maybe not the cheapest option but it'll last a lifetime and I like it.  On top of that I supported a semi-local small business owner and craftsman. :)

If you want something that can be run through a dishwasher, there are also some "softer" synthetic boards these days where the cutting surface is made by some sort of silicone or something like that.  I have no experience with those.

A look through the recommendations at https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/ might help for specific US-based sellers.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:41:45 AM by lemanfan »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2858 on: November 23, 2020, 07:53:37 AM »
a coffee table that converts to a dining table.  The attractive ones are ghastly expensive.

Carnivore_Plant_Mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2859 on: November 23, 2020, 08:56:20 AM »
One of the new AMD graphics cards. I really wanted an upgrade, but now I'm hoping the stock will be low so I won't be tempted.

It's nice to see AMD finally competitive with Nvidia again. AMD has really been knocking it out of the park recently. I may be upgrading my wife's workstation with the Ryzen 5000 series soon so she can do contracting work with it (very CPU intensive).

Yes it is nice to see more competition in the GPU space. I hope to upgrade from my Ryzen 3000 series in a couple years, hopefully the Ryzen 5000x CPUs will also be cheaper once they become prior gen.

Carnivore_Plant_Mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2860 on: November 23, 2020, 08:58:38 AM »
An Aerogarden.  I can't keep my herbs alive in my windowsill, but somehow I think a countertop hydroponic setup will magically turn my thumb not-brown.

Check marketplace or craigslist, I see Aerogardens posted occasionally.

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #2861 on: November 23, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »
I've been lusting after the LIT Motors C1 vehicle for years.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it is every going to be built.  Seems like the perfect vehicle to me, also makes riding a motorcycle a lot safer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B432iLNXkQ8

Seems like the only vehicles I like that are concept never get built.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2862 on: November 23, 2020, 11:20:12 AM »
An Aerogarden.  I can't keep my herbs alive in my windowsill, but somehow I think a countertop hydroponic setup will magically turn my thumb not-brown.

Check marketplace or craigslist, I see Aerogardens posted occasionally.

There are a few listed in the <$100 range, but none extremely close by.  Maybe after xmas there will be more options.  Thanks for the tip!

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #2863 on: November 23, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »
Good one!!! I want one of those too!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2864 on: November 23, 2020, 10:14:29 PM »
A retaining wall.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2865 on: November 24, 2020, 06:33:55 AM »
A retaining wall.

I 10000% get this. We were looking at having one put in earlier this year and I got the worst sticker shock.  Even just buying the materials costs a ton. 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2866 on: November 24, 2020, 11:11:34 AM »
A tummy tuck and brachioplasty.  I've lost 130+ lbs and have a healthy BMI now.  The loose skin from my heavy days makes my pants fit tightly in the gut.  I had a quote from a plastic surgeon in Mexico but going to Mexico for elective surgery in the current pandemic crisis would be crazy.  Maybe after I get a COVID vaccine.  All you wise mustachians may already know this, but plastic surgery does not quality for HSA use, sadly.  I'd have to be ready to shell out like $14K for everything I would get done all at one time. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2867 on: November 24, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »
A retaining wall.

I 10000% get this. We were looking at having one put in earlier this year and I got the worst sticker shock.  Even just buying the materials costs a ton.

Sticker shock for sure.  We recently got the retaining wall quoted plus a secondary wall plus a sidewalk and slab. It would solve a number of problems and finish an area that is muddy and difficult to use right now. Since I’ve been lusting after it for five years and the desire is only growing, we will probably do it.

As far as things go, the bigger the price tag, the longer I force myself to long for it before pulling the trigger. Some desires go away.  Some eventually get purchased.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #2868 on: November 24, 2020, 01:43:52 PM »
Its probably not stupid but I feel like I'm lusting because I cannot stop thinking about it. I want to install a small solar system. I got a few quotes and decided if I go through with it that I want to pay cash and not get into a lease. I'm trying to convince my DW that we will recoup our costs in about 4.5 years given the tax credits we will also receive.

I want, I want, I want!!!

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #2869 on: November 24, 2020, 02:15:26 PM »
Its probably not stupid but I feel like I'm lusting because I cannot stop thinking about it. I want to install a small solar system. I got a few quotes and decided if I go through with it that I want to pay cash and not get into a lease. I'm trying to convince my DW that we will recoup our costs in about 4.5 years given the tax credits we will also receive.

I want solar too, but I live in Canada, don't think the payback would be the same as it is in Arizona or some southern state.  Also aside from Telsa, they are kind of ugly and the wife won't stand for that.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2870 on: November 24, 2020, 04:32:33 PM »
A tummy tuck and brachioplasty.  I've lost 130+ lbs and have a healthy BMI now.  The loose skin from my heavy days makes my pants fit tightly in the gut.  I had a quote from a plastic surgeon in Mexico but going to Mexico for elective surgery in the current pandemic crisis would be crazy.  Maybe after I get a COVID vaccine.  All you wise mustachians may already know this, but plastic surgery does not quality for HSA use, sadly.  I'd have to be ready to shell out like $14K for everything I would get done all at one time.

Please watch a couple episodes of Botched for those patients who went to other countries for plastic surgery.  It is absolutely horrifying, not to say it doesn't happen in the US but the regulations/qualifications are not equal.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #2871 on: November 24, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »

I do have to agree with you on that. They certainly aren't attractive on a roof and the thought of poking holes in my 5 year old roof makes me a little uneasy. I would never do this installation myself although it would save me probably 50% or more of the costs. But with high electric rates here its a "no brainer". 

I want solar too, but I live in Canada, don't think the payback would be the same as it is in Arizona or some southern state.  Also aside from Telsa, they are kind of ugly and the wife won't stand for that.

bill1827

• Stubble
« Reply #2872 on: November 25, 2020, 01:53:14 AM »
I want to install a small solar system.

I read that and wondered where you're going to put a sun and 9  (or so) planets!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2873 on: November 25, 2020, 06:54:42 AM »

Please watch a couple episodes of Botched for those patients who went to other countries for plastic surgery.  It is absolutely horrifying, not to say it doesn't happen in the US but the regulations/qualifications are not equal.

It very, very much depends on where you have the surgery (source: I have two friends who had this surgery and both did thorough research). There are certainly countries where medical procedures are not up to the same standard but there are also countries where that's not an issue at all. The only issue is that if you go abroad to these countries, you're supposed to stay there for a while to get check-ups and heal. So you'd need to find an apartment and someone who wants to go there with you for a couple of weeks.

When I read on this forum how expensive all types of medical care are in the US, I'm always surprised not more people go abroad. For example, I'm pretty sure that for extensive dental treatment it would be cheaper to fly to Europe, for example. Our dentists are not cheaper because their care is worse but because they don't have 6 figures of student loans to pay off.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2874 on: November 25, 2020, 12:53:17 PM »
A Peloton Tread.  I've wanted one since they came out in 2018 but they are stupid expensive.  They're coming out with a slightly less clown version so I might put the pennies together for that one when they come out in the spring.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2875 on: November 26, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »

As a medical professional, I would never, ever, ever engage in medical tourism, especially not for major, high risk surgery.

Not only are the regulations and qualifications not the same in other countries, the recourse options for things going wrong are not there.

Also, there's a huge difference between getting medical care in Mexico vs getting medical care from a Mexican medical tourism clinic. Those are different industries, and my friends in Mexico wouldn't go to those places, but are well served by their own doctors

I've attended a number of lectures by PhDs who do their research on medical and dental tourism in Mexico and they can't even get access to information about their standards of care, it's so opaque that no one can. They have, however, been able to talk to a number of doctors working for these companies who complain about the standards. They are good quality professionals who want to do good work, but they don't own the clinics, so they don't actually have control over the standard of care.

I'm in Canada where we're regulated up to our eyeballs, and even then, when my mom needed a breast reduction, I was ruthless in my assessment of surgeons and wouldn't let her see anyone except for the very, very best breast guy in the city.

So much can go wrong with plastic surgery, ESPECIALLY post-weightloss surgery. This is one of the most demanding areas of expertise with the largest risk of poor outcomes and complications.

I know a number of high quality Canadian plastic surgeons who won't even do it because they're not willing to take on the risks of bad outcomes. The standard wisdom here is that if the surgeon hasn't done at least a hundred of these procedures, to proceed with extreme caution.

I would never, ever get this kind of procedure done in a jurisdiction where I have absolutely no recourse for poor outcomes or major complications.

Do whatever is right for you, but please don't assume that there's some kind of surgical equivalency between all of your options. The range of outcomes can be ENORMOUS.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2876 on: November 28, 2020, 06:56:36 PM »
Alternatepriorities,

Those jobs go to people with lots and lots of hours.  Getting a private helicopter pilot's license is very unlikely to get you any of the types of job you list.  Many of our Navy helicopter pilot friends struggle to get those jobs, especially the better ones, because they go to army helo guys with thousands of rotary wing hours. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2877 on: November 28, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »
Alternatepriorities,

Those jobs go to people with lots and lots of hours.  Getting a private helicopter pilot's license is very unlikely to get you any of the types of job you list.  Many of our Navy helicopter pilot friends struggle to get those jobs, especially the better ones, because they go to army helo guys with thousands of rotary wing hours.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but that's always been the case for all aircraft jobs. That is, once upon a time (especially right after the Vietnam war ended) everyone working for any outfit was ex-military. Getting enough hours to compete with ex-military folks is always a challenge if you are civilian, fixed wing or otherwise.

But, point taken as there are less opportunities in the rotor-craft world to build up your hours.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 07:04:36 PM by PDXTabs »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2878 on: November 28, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »
Alternatepriorities,

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but that's always been the case for all aircraft jobs. That is, once upon a time (especially right after the Vietnam war ended) everyone working for any outfit was ex-military. Getting enough hours to compete with ex-military folks is always a challenge if you are civilian, fixed wing or otherwise.

But, point taken.

Oh, most definitely.  Helo jobs tend to go army because their helo pilots get more hours, but on the fixed wing side, it's still hard for anyone to compete with the hours of a military pilot. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2879 on: November 28, 2020, 07:05:35 PM »
I'm lusting over homes.

We are likely moving soon, and will rent.  We don't yet know for sure where we are going, but have a good idea of the most likely outcome, so I've been stalking rental sites.  I want space, and I want nice finishes.  This would be in a location that isn't super great for me (the suburbs, unless we are willing to commit to a very long commute).  I think knowing that I wont' be in the middle of a vibrant, walkable community is making me want a big (~2400sqft) fancy house.  I'm looking at photos of garages like they are porn. 

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #2880 on: November 28, 2020, 07:05:43 PM »
I really want to get a Big Green Egg.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2881 on: November 28, 2020, 07:06:18 PM »
When I read on this forum how expensive all types of medical care are in the US, I'm always surprised not more people go abroad. For example, I'm pretty sure that for extensive dental treatment it would be cheaper to fly to Europe, for example. Our dentists are not cheaper because their care is worse but because they don't have 6 figures of student loans to pay off.

Yup, my mom flew to Thailand to get a bone graft (in her jaw, for an implant). She had a local friend that vetted the surgeon and had a very good experience.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2882 on: November 29, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »

Yup, my mom flew to Thailand to get a bone graft (in her jaw, for an implant). She had a local friend that vetted the surgeon and had a very good experience.

Just FTR, the cost of dental care has absolutely nothing to do with the fees paid for schools. The two aren't connected.

The fees in dentistry are high because of the astronomical costs of equipment, supplies, rent, and staff. Assistants and hygienists where I live make A LOT more than they do in Europe.

I know dentists working all over the world. Their debt has no impact on what the market will bear for their services. The same with law, or any other form of education.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2883 on: November 29, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »
I know dentists working all over the world. Their debt has no impact on what the market will bear for their services. The same with law, or any other form of education.

My Canadian lawyer flatmate (licenced to practice law in Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia - where salaries vary wildly in part because the Canadian lawyers take on less debt) would beg to differ. Because it's supply and demand, right? If the market for your services can't support your rent+debt servicing, why would you do it? Why not go do something else less unprofitable, or move to a different location? When enough people do that it changes the supply/demand quotient by restricting supply.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2884 on: November 29, 2020, 07:00:41 PM »

I have one, and it is wonderful!  However, if I were to have to replace it, I would look at some other brands.  They cook just as well, but cost less.

You can use it in the summer as an oven and not have to heat up your house, it can slow smoke or fast sear.  I will say that I used it more when I had a covered patio than I do now.  It was so nice no caring what the weather was doing.

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #2885 on: November 30, 2020, 09:17:28 AM »

I have one, and it is wonderful!  However, if I were to have to replace it, I would look at some other brands.  They cook just as well, but cost less.

You can use it in the summer as an oven and not have to heat up your house, it can slow smoke or fast sear.  I will say that I used it more when I had a covered patio than I do now.  It was so nice no caring what the weather was doing.

I should have rephrased...I want to a personal BGE. I work for an upscale RCAC, and we have 2 XL's here at work that I use regularly for the residents. I know others are cheaper, but the customer service and warranty on the BGE is really priceless.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2886 on: November 30, 2020, 01:06:04 PM »

My Canadian lawyer flatmate (licenced to practice law in Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia - where salaries vary wildly in part because the Canadian lawyers take on less debt) would beg to differ. Because it's supply and demand, right? If the market for your services can't support your rent+debt servicing, why would you do it? Why not go do something else less unprofitable, or move to a different location? When enough people do that it changes the supply/demand quotient by restricting supply.

Lol, good fucking question. As someone who has advised MANY medical professionals on their personal finances, I can say with absolute certainty that that's not really how it works.

No, the supply side here is absolutely not slowing down. Tuitions are still rising, and incomes are plummeting due to oversupply and the rise of corporate dentistry, but still, kids are killing themselves to get into dental school. It's more competitive now than it was decades ago when the incomes were much higher.

I'm shocked a lawyer would say otherwise, because the same thing has happened with law in tons of regions. Same with A LOT of other professions.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2887 on: November 30, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »

Just FTR, the cost of dental care has absolutely nothing to do with the fees paid for schools. The two aren't connected.

The fees in dentistry are high because of the astronomical costs of equipment, supplies, rent, and staff. Assistants and hygienists where I live make A LOT more than they do in Europe.

I know next to nothing about dentistry, but I figured that since the student debts are the only major difference in costs between a dentist in the US and one in HCOL Europe, I thought that must be it. Rents are probably similar if not higher here, and equipment is probably expensive everywhere. I just googled what staff wages are in here and it seems they range from €30k for a junior assistent to about €50k for a senior assistent. That's considered a good living for someone with a trade school background (and generally no student loans because of that). It's similar to what a nurse would make. But in the US wages are of course generally higher.

I'm about to undergo my first serious dental procedure (a root canal) and I was quoted €400-500 for that. My dentist is one of the fanciest dentists in town with all the new equipment and well-trained staff, in a nice monumental building. And he still seems to make a good living, judging by the cars and holidays (which is of course a very bad way to judge how well someone is doing financially). I wouldn't mind a no-frills dentist but I am going there especially because all his staff are trained to deal with dental anxiety. Even though I'm not at all scared of the dentist, I have a domestic violence background and hate being pinned down in a chair unable to speak. They are the first practice that have been completely understanding. I'll happily take the unnecessary luxury for granted.

Also, as someone with a law degree (but not practising law) I am convinced the low entry level wages in law here have to do with oversupply, which in turn has to do with low cost for a degree. Unfortunately low tuition doesn't mean that working class kids can easily become lawyers, it means law school is full of rich kids whose daddies can supplement their income until they make partner and many working class law students (like me) don't end up practicing law but choose to work in policy, law enforcement and other related fields where the pay is better. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2888 on: November 30, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »

Lol, good fucking question. As someone who has advised MANY medical professionals on their personal finances, I can say with absolute certainty that that's not really how it works.

No, the supply side here is absolutely not slowing down. Tuitions are still rising, and incomes are plummeting due to oversupply and the rise of corporate dentistry, but still, kids are killing themselves to get into dental school. It's more competitive now than it was decades ago when the incomes were much higher.

I'm shocked a lawyer would say otherwise, because the same thing has happened with law in tons of regions. Same with A LOT of other professions.

I think that lawyers figured out during the great recession that the demand isn't keeping up with supply. I would imagine that some medical professionals will follow suit. But that AMA very carefully controls supply for MDs in the USA, right?

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2889 on: November 30, 2020, 01:44:23 PM »

We bought an XLarge one 8 years ago, and use it a lot. It's been a fantastic "hobby" that means we eat in more often. Seriously, we haven't been to the fancy steak house in several years, since we can cook filet mignons at home for us both, with wine and side dishes, for $30.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2890 on: November 30, 2020, 01:57:48 PM »

I think that lawyers figured out during the great recession that the demand isn't keeping up with supply. I would imagine that some medical professionals will follow suit. But that AMA very carefully controls supply for MDs in the USA, right?

I have no idea in the US, I'm in Canada.

No one controls the supply for dentists here. No one.

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #2891 on: November 30, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »

We bought an XLarge one 8 years ago, and use it a lot. It's been a fantastic "hobby" that means we eat in more often. Seriously, we haven't been to the fancy steak house in several years, since we can cook filet mignons at home for us both, with wine and side dishes, for $30.

Along a similar line, getting a sous vide for Christmas has totally ruined steak houses for me. Not only is it much cheaper but I've learned to make better steaks than most of them too ha. The only steak I've enjoyed more than mine in the last several years was a Wagyu filet I got at the Biltmore Estate.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2892 on: November 30, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »

I have extended family who are dentists and talk about the golden age of dentistry having passed (in the USA).

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2893 on: December 01, 2020, 09:07:49 AM »

I have extended family who are dentists and talk about the golden age of dentistry having passed (in the USA).
I feel like we're entering a similar phase with software developers and engineers.  There's been such a huuuuuuge push over the last decade or so to get more kids involved in STEM.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2894 on: December 01, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »
Building a gaming PC.

I want a powerful PC to game with, but also to do other things. It would be nice to have for larger software needs like making music, editing video, learning 3D printing and everything else a PC can do.

Better use of money that buying a PS5, that can only ever play playstation games (movies too I suppose)?

FWIW 3D printing is a low power operation. I'm running multiple slicer programs on a T1600 Dell Precision. That's about a ten year old computer with a low spec video card. Running Mint Linux KDE. I also do a little 3D CAD with it. Plenty of horsepower as long as my design assemblies don't get too big. 2D CAD doesn't require much power.

Currently have two browsers open, streaming music, about 75 tabs and a 150+ page LibreOffice Writer document open. If anything it would benefit from more RAM. I currently have 8GB. CPU shows about 8% utilization right now.

My youngest child (teen) edits music, video, etc on our home computer - Dell desktop XPS 8900 with 16GB RAM and an $150 Nvidia (?) video card. Also games alot. It dual boots Win10 and Mint Linux KDE. Scoots right along.

Do whatever you want of course. In case you are not a tech person, just wanted you to know that your computer needs may not be as expensive as you first though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 11:19:21 AM by Just Joe »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2895 on: December 01, 2020, 11:15:07 AM »
Jukeboxes and pinball machines...

We already have a 1950s jukebox we really like. Want a particular 1940s jukebox too. Won't do anything about it any time soon.
Electro-mechanical pinball machine. Have my eye on one. Fair prices.

Best thing about these is they last forever with a little maintenance I can do myself.
And are likely to be worth the same or more in the future so it is ultimately a low cost distraction.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2896 on: December 01, 2020, 04:12:17 PM »
Jukeboxes and pinball machines...

We already have a 1950s jukebox we really like. Want a particular 1940s jukebox too. Won't do anything about it any time soon.
Electro-mechanical pinball machine. Have my eye on one. Fair prices.

Best thing about these is they last forever with a little maintenance I can do myself.
And are likely to be worth the same or more in the future so it is ultimately a low cost distraction.

Pinball machines are great.  :)

My dad bought 3 of them when I was a kid.  Wish we still had them.  We just set up a foosball table that we'd had in storage.  I really enjoy foosball, but it requires other players.   

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2897 on: December 01, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »
Old tech toys: lots to geek out on here. So complex. I'm studying my way through the jukebox repair manual so I can check out the preventative maintenance requirements. A dab of grease here, a drop of oil there and a tweak with a screwdriver. Noticed two of the turntable chassis support springs were not in place tonight. Prob the long bumpy ride home jarred them out of place. Repaired in 5 minutes. Seller did not lock the chassis down and I didn't know better. No damage done.   

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2898 on: December 01, 2020, 06:48:34 PM »

I feel like we're entering a similar phase with software developers and engineers.  There's been such a huuuuuuge push over the last decade or so to get more kids involved in STEM.

I don't think so. Developed western countries are still importing STEM grads from developing countries.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2899 on: December 02, 2020, 06:17:01 AM »

I don't think so. Developed western countries are still importing STEM grads from developing countries.

We're importing dentists too.