Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287961 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2700 on: September 04, 2020, 07:18:32 PM »
@Kris link? They sound just my jam

https://www.freebirdstores.com/products/bristol-womens-exclusive-leather-heeled-loafer?variant=32569811501161

As I said, ridiculously expensive... but there’s a 20% promo code on the site (see the banner) and free shipping in the US/free returns.
Well, they *are* cute but since the site keeps automatically dumping me to google, they clearly don't want my filthy Australian money. Probably just as well, I've spent entirely too much on Duckfeet shoes this year.

Yeah, I was guessing they might not like you filthy Ozzies. I’m sure they aren’t the end-all be-all. We’ll see.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #2701 on: September 05, 2020, 11:40:35 AM »
A travel trailer that costs as much as we spend in a year. Luckily, the wait time to get one means even if we ordered one now we couldn't really use it until the summer of 2022, and that's long enough to convince the rational part of my brain not to do it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2702 on: September 05, 2020, 04:01:28 PM »
Gordon Murray's new T.50 supercar is looking awesome. It has the best engine response (measured by how quickly the engine can spin through rev ranges) in the world, which will help immeasurably in the "sound and fury" stakes. It revs to over 12,000rpm which is pretty amazing for a V12.

I think one of the best sensations in the world is having a free revving flat 6/V8/V10/V12 under your right foot that you can spin up again and again. These cars are getting rarer and rarer due to emissions regulations. Most of the naturally aspirated engines have already been abandoned. It's good to see a car company embracing a big atmo engine. The four and six cylinder turbo engines in newer performance cars nowadays are just pure shite in comparison.

I don't think I'll ever be rich enough to afford the T.50, since it's over 2 million pounds.

It is looking to be the perfect driver's car. There is nothing else like it for any price and probably never will be again. Pretty much certain to be a good investment. Too bad I don't have a few million bucks to spare.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2703 on: September 05, 2020, 04:36:41 PM »
A small airplane.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2704 on: September 05, 2020, 05:35:50 PM »

https://www.freebirdstores.com/products/bristol-womens-exclusive-leather-heeled-loafer?variant=32569811501161

As I said, ridiculously expensive... but there’s a 20% promo code on the site (see the banner) and free shipping in the US/free returns.

If I were 40 years younger . . . But I can't wear that high a heel anymore.  And I have to try shoes on, super fussy feet.  But gorgeous shoes.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2705 on: September 05, 2020, 06:17:55 PM »

If I were 40 years younger . . . But I can't wear that high a heel anymore.  And I have to try shoes on, super fussy feet.  But gorgeous shoes.

Well, I’m 53, so we’ll see how I do. :)

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2706 on: September 05, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »
Gordon Murray's new T.50 supercar is looking awesome. It has the best engine response (measured by how quickly the engine can spin through rev ranges) in the world, which will help immeasurably in the "sound and fury" stakes. It revs to over 12,000rpm which is pretty amazing for a V12.

I think one of the best sensations in the world is having a free revving flat 6/V8/V10/V12 under your right foot that you can spin up again and again. These cars are getting rarer and rarer due to emissions regulations. Most of the naturally aspirated engines have already been abandoned. It's good to see a car company embracing a big atmo engine. The four and six cylinder turbo engines in newer performance cars nowadays are just pure shite in comparison.

I don't think I'll ever be rich enough to afford the T.50, since it's over 2 million pounds.

It is looking to be the perfect driver's car. There is nothing else like it for any price and probably never will be again. Pretty much certain to be a good investment. Too bad I don't have a few million bucks to spare.

And even if we did have the money, the run is sold out anyway.

If it's anything like Murray's previous supercar, the F1, it will be a great investment; the F1 had a retail price of $1m 25 years ago, and now routinely sells for over $10m.

Who says cars are a bad investment?!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2707 on: September 06, 2020, 04:42:57 AM »
Well I caved and the Deck I posted about wanting in the middle of August has begun. I tore the old one off the house and the patio as well. Its was even worse than I thought and I found an area with Carpenter ants so had that treated so I guess in someways though I have a big project now to get done that I started it. So my next lust Item would be a dock down on the water. Not a pier but more sideways along the shoreline to add a larger area for swimming off of and table etc.. That I could build reasonable cheap but see where this deck leads me first.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2708 on: September 06, 2020, 07:26:01 AM »
Well I caved and the Deck I posted about wanting in the middle of August has begun. I tore the old one off the house and the patio as well. Its was even worse than I thought and I found an area with Carpenter ants so had that treated so I guess in someways though I have a big project now to get done that I started it. So my next lust Item would be a dock down on the water. Not a pier but more sideways along the shoreline to add a larger area for swimming off of and table etc.. That I could build reasonable cheap but see where this deck leads me first.

There are a few homes around here with those.  I don't know what they're called, but I call them boardwalks.  Most of them seem to create a wooden sidewalk along the shore, covering the riprap (large rock) that protects the shore from erosion.  They look classy & expensive. 

Another thing that I've seen that's really impressive is the use of stacked boulders to make the seawall.  I'm sure it costs a small fortune to have done, and is way beyond a DIY job, requiring heavy equipment & precision skills to place the large rocks.  You just can't beat stonework for looking classy, and lasting forever. 

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2709 on: September 10, 2020, 08:46:43 PM »
A travel trailer that costs as much as we spend in a year. Luckily, the wait time to get one means even if we ordered one now we couldn't really use it until the summer of 2022, and that's long enough to convince the rational part of my brain not to do it.

We’ve been talking about a trailer for 2 years. This week we came very close to putting money down to order a small trailer. Cost was about 4-5 months of expenses. We could have paid cash, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

So instead we are going to gut our 2010 Subaru Outback and turn it into a small sleeping space. I think we can do a lavish modification for a little money. Most expenses will go to some car repairs (needed anyway), a rooftop storage box and a bear proof hitch box.  Might be able to buy those storage boxes used but even if we buy new the cost will be much lower than a trailer.  It will also mean cheaper gas on trips, not needing to find a place to store the trailer, etc.

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #2710 on: September 10, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »
The Roomba that can empty itself every time it runs. It's $1100.

I'm not against manual labor (but I don't have anything resmbling a Mustachian passion for it), but I am definitely against repetitive, menial labor that can be automated away so my time can be spent on more interesting/meaningful things.

Naturally, that means I already own a robot vacuum, but it really isn't very good. My dog has really long hair and sheds excessively, regardless of grooming or season, so even though the robot vacuum runs once a day on a schedule, it still can't keep up. It also isn't a "smart" robot, so it just randomly bounces around and misses a lot of spots.

These new Roombas though... They are really incredible. They map your entire house and clean in every nook and cranny perfectly. And they empty themselves so you only have to empty the canister once every week or two!

I currently spend about 3 minutes per day cleaning/emptying (or hunting for) the crappy robot vacuum (hair tangled everywhere, emptying bin, cleaning filters), which is better than spending 10 minutes a day vacuuming, but at my self-billing rate of $75/hour, a new Roomba would not justify itself until it runs more than 300 times, which seems silly.

But then again... I do have to vacuum daily.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #2711 on: September 10, 2020, 11:36:43 PM »

We’ve been talking about a trailer for 2 years. This week we came very close to putting money down to order a small trailer. Cost was about 4-5 months of expenses. We could have paid cash, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

So instead we are going to gut our 2010 Subaru Outback and turn it into a small sleeping space. I think we can do a lavish modification for a little money. Most expenses will go to some car repairs (needed anyway), a rooftop storage box and a bear proof hitch box.  Might be able to buy those storage boxes used but even if we buy new the cost will be much lower than a trailer.  It will also mean cheaper gas on trips, not needing to find a place to store the trailer, etc.

Nice! I used to dream of converting an old van, but then the kid came along, and fitting everyone inside safely to both drive and sleep started to seem tricky.

This trailer is magical and shrinks down to fit inside the second spot in our way-too-big-for-our-one-car garage, which I suppose is part of why it costs such a ridiculous sum.

Now I can't stop looking at used ones, which don't seem to depreciate at all, and sell within hours of being listed. Trying not to let myself conclude that makes it ok...

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2712 on: September 11, 2020, 08:27:42 PM »

Nice! I used to dream of converting an old van, but then the kid came along, and fitting everyone inside safely to both drive and sleep started to seem tricky.

This trailer is magical and shrinks down to fit inside the second spot in our way-too-big-for-our-one-car garage, which I suppose is part of why it costs such a ridiculous sum.

Now I can't stop looking at used ones, which don't seem to depreciate at all, and sell within hours of being listed. Trying not to let myself conclude that makes it ok...

No kids here. That would tip the balance. Good luck finding a used one. I’ve looked at used trailers and they disappear as soon as they are posted.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2713 on: September 12, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »
2 things at the moment...

I really want to buy a sword.  :-)  Fortunately for me the one I want has been out of stock for a couple months.  Maybe by the time they actually have more of them I will be over it.

A car.  I really want a C8 Corvette.  The worst part is that I can partially justify it.  As I'm still working, I do need transportation and both of the cars I drive now (30 and 26 years old) are rusting quite bad and probably only have another 2-3 years of serviceable life left before they become unsafe...  Never been a Corvette fan, but since they went mid-engine, well, if you've ever driven a mid-engine car you'll never want to go back to front engine again!  :-)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2714 on: September 14, 2020, 01:21:45 PM »

I'm not against manual labor (but I don't have anything resmbling a Mustachian passion for it), but I am definitely against repetitive, menial labor that can be automated away so my time can be spent on more interesting/meaningful things.

Naturally, that means I already own a robot vacuum, but it really isn't very good. My dog has really long hair and sheds excessively, regardless of grooming or season, so even though the robot vacuum runs once a day on a schedule, it still can't keep up. It also isn't a "smart" robot, so it just randomly bounces around and misses a lot of spots.

These new Roombas though... They are really incredible. They map your entire house and clean in every nook and cranny perfectly. And they empty themselves so you only have to empty the canister once every week or two!

I currently spend about 3 minutes per day cleaning/emptying (or hunting for) the crappy robot vacuum (hair tangled everywhere, emptying bin, cleaning filters), which is better than spending 10 minutes a day vacuuming, but at my self-billing rate of $75/hour, a new Roomba would not justify itself until it runs more than 300 times, which seems silly.

But then again... I do have to vacuum daily.

This is on my list too right now.  There is a bundle on Amazon that has this Roomba plus one that mops.  But, it's damn near the cost of that Rainbow that my brother suckered me into sitting through a presentation on.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #2715 on: September 15, 2020, 07:34:13 AM »
Peri-peri cashew nuts. My secret addiction.

The good ones are usually brought to Johannesburg from neighbouring country Mozambique. I guess covid restrictions have hindered supply lines. Locally available nuts just not the same!

WTF is this? Is there a spice mix added to roasted cashews when hot?

I have to settle for Nando's sauces from my local supermarket, and they have only 3 flavors. Arrrgh!

Yes, I believe the spices are added to the nuts immediately after roasting. We can get from local suppliers, but the best come from Moz.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2716 on: September 15, 2020, 07:37:47 AM »
I'm really wanting the new Freedom Flex card from Chase to add the the ones I already have from them.  I didn't get automatically approved and it hurt my feelings.

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #2717 on: September 15, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »

Gee, thanks, I didn't even know I wanted ones of these until I saw this post, now I want one. This thread was supposed to help us resist spending money, right?

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2718 on: September 15, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »

Gee, thanks, I didn't even know I wanted ones of these until I saw this post, now I want one. This thread was supposed to help us resist spending money, right?

Costco has this for $699.99
https://www.costco.com/irobot-roomba-i8+-wi-fi-connected-robot-with-automatic-dirt-disposal.product.100600738.html

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2719 on: September 16, 2020, 09:15:40 AM »
My stupid lusting has oddly taken a turn for the biblical, and I am now literally coveting my neighbor's house. They haven't paid their property taxes in a few years and the house is going to the tax sale auction.

On the plus side, this should keep my stupid lusting in check for at least a few months as I try to learn everything I can on the subject. The available information about tax sales tends to be ridiculously sleazy in addition to being state / county specific, so the learning process has been quite slow.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:22:40 AM by YttriumNitrate »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2720 on: September 16, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
A roomba that empties itself?  Amazing. Though, unless it cleans the dog hair out of the brushes, that doesn't really help me.

I want a camper van.  Luckily, they are so expensive I don't have to worry about impulse purchase.  The cost per use will NEVER be worth it. I'd be better off in 5* hotels.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2721 on: September 17, 2020, 06:20:45 AM »
A big box of king crab from Costco that is about $300.

That is insanity! Hahahaha

Do it!  Well worth it! :)

We bought a box of lobsters from Costco a couple months ago and we still have a few lobsters left.  In some way it is frugal since we do not go to a restaurant for lobsters.  After we finish them we will buy a box of king crab next.

I finally bought the box of king crab! It was $239.90 BEAUTIFUL size legs! Have not eaten any yet!

What kind of lobsters did you buy? Were they tails or whole lobsters? Cooked or raw? I am going back to Costco in a few days and will look for them.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #2722 on: September 17, 2020, 07:45:43 AM »
A new chicken coop.  We have a serviceable one, but I am tired of struggling to open the big heavy door.  Plus its ceiling is very low, so it's a pain to get in and out of there. 

Also, I now want a fancy Roomba, thanks to @Home Stretch.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2723 on: September 17, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
I had been lusting over buying a nice seat of rubberized hex dumbbells to do strength training.  My building's gym is still closed due to COVID, and I don't belong to any other gyms.

So I broke down today and bought a set.  Pretty damn expensive, but it'll be worth it I think.  It costs less than 2 years worth of a normal gym membership in my area.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #2724 on: September 18, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »
The next gen consoles - both having a digital version- "only" $ 299 for the new xbox series s seems like a deal, then you factor in the monthly subscription service which is about $ 650 / yr. Meh...

Also i barely play any videogames now as it is. What with all this adult life getting in the way...

New ford ranger - need to repl my 07 ranger eventually. It's a single cab - can't take myself,wife and doggo comfortably. Not great off road with it being only rwd. I live in colorado - enjoy going on off road trails, camping, exploring, hiking, biking, etc. Ranger is just starting to wear on me.

New ford ranger - right now has 0% apr for 60 months with $ 1000 cash back.

Is much bigger inside, more powerful engine that will actually be able to tow stuff (if i ever need to tow things)....

right around 24.5k for a brand new truck = hard to beat in my eyes.

I keep seeing them everywhere...possibly a fleet company bought a bunch ? Dunno but it doesn't help my lust !

Do i need a brand new vehcile ? heck to no - especially during a pandemic where i'm working from home.

Do i even need a pickemup truck still ? Maybe ? It is convenient with owning a house and all the crap we are constantly putting in the bed for yard projects, donating stuff or picking up stuff, furniture, etc.

Hmmm - neighbor is buying a tesla truck. Maybe i can just borrow his when needed haha

DesertRatNomad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2725 on: September 18, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »
I’m lusting after a new 4wd truck or large SUV...or a Quigley converted van.   Basically anything with real 4wd capability and enough space for me and my wife to comfortably(ish) sleep inside/live out of in the backcountry of lots of national parks for a few months at a time. 

I could technically afford to buy one but I’m trying to remind myself that my 02 Grand Cherokee I paid 4k for might be old, a little rusty, and a snug fit for sleeping+gear but it’s not the level of FI self-sabotage that a $35k-$70k vehicle would be for someone like me on a teacher salary.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2726 on: September 18, 2020, 11:05:44 PM »
I’m lusting after a new 4wd truck or large SUV...or a Quigley converted van.   Basically anything with real 4wd capability and enough space for me and my wife to comfortably(ish) sleep inside/live out of in the backcountry of lots of national parks for a few months at a time. 

I could technically afford to buy one but I’m trying to remind myself that my 02 Grand Cherokee I paid 4k for might be old, a little rusty, and a snug fit for sleeping+gear but it’s not the level of FI self-sabotage that a $35k-$70k vehicle would be for someone like me on a teacher salary.

We bought a used Ford E-350 van, about 2 years old, 2009. We bought it for $17k cash, and spent ~ $6k adding a Fiberine top, insulation, window shades, pop-out windows, backup camera, interior panels and a cushy floor. It's tall enough to handle most backroads, no need for a Quigley or Sportsmobile setup.

Check out the Sportsmobile forums; they have a great DIY subforum, with floorplans, advice, pics, instructions, etc. There are totally ways to do this for under $25k if you're good with DIY and willing to put in the sweat equity.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2727 on: September 19, 2020, 10:59:23 AM »
We cleaned out the RV driveway and now there is all this space behind where I park my trailer.  I really want a shed there.  TuffShed has a cool online shed configurator, and I love the idea of just paying to have a shed installed.  But it really doesn't need to be fully floored/enclosed, so I could build a simple pole building myself.  Then I remind myself that I could just replace the clear panels on the lean-to greenhouse with roof and siding (some of them are starting to warp and break), and store my horse stuff in there.  Or if we got rid of the big riding mower in our shop, I could just clean that out and have enough storage.  Around and around I go...

I'm also lusting after new carpet for the basement, since that's been my telework space since March.  It's 42 years old and dark brown, and was patched back together because we had to rip part of it out when our old water heater failed a few years ago.  It was easy to ignore when I didn't spend 40+ hours a week down there.  I know if I replace the carpet, then I'll want to also replace the dark brown Formica, and the upholstery on the built-in couch (1970's people...), the bathroom vanity and probably other things.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2728 on: September 19, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
I told my FA, who is also a dear friend and the one who introduced me to MMM that I think I want to buy a plane, and now she also wants to get her license and buy a plane, so we could do that together and cut the cost in half.

She was wildly amused that two people who connected over frugality are now talking about buying a plane.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2729 on: September 19, 2020, 08:25:26 PM »
I told my FA, who is also a dear friend and the one who introduced me to MMM that I think I want to buy a plane, and now she also wants to get her license and buy a plane, so we could do that together and cut the cost in half.

She was wildly amused that two people who connected over frugality are now talking about buying a plane.

Just so long as it's a frugal plane...

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2730 on: September 19, 2020, 08:52:03 PM »

I've been wanting to fly lately too.  Browsing [size=78%]https://www.trade-a-plane.com/[/size]  and watching YouTube flying vids a lot.  I stopped by a local grass airfield a week or two ago and chatted with the owner & a new member for a while.  The new guy was a retired commercial pilot that's owned a lot of different planes & currently has an old Piper J-3 that was restored by a group of guys at the little airport.  He bought it and got a hanger with it.  Seemed like a smart way to get a hanger space, since there are no vacancies there.  He said that he bought the J-3 because he has nowhere to go, so it's an economical simple slow plane that gets him in the air to just putt around.   

I doubt I'll actually start flying because of the cost & time commitment, but I'd be a lot more likely if I had a friend to share the plane with & to learn with.  I'm not sure, but after each of you solo you might be able to build hours together, one as pilot and the other as copilot (I guess that what it would be called?)   

It would be great if you & your FA start flying.  Keep us posted if you do.  :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2731 on: September 19, 2020, 10:22:49 PM »

I've been wanting to fly lately too.  Browsing [size=78%]https://www.trade-a-plane.com/[/size]  and watching YouTube flying vids a lot.  I stopped by a local grass airfield a week or two ago and chatted with the owner & a new member for a while.  The new guy was a retired commercial pilot that's owned a lot of different planes & currently has an old Piper J-3 that was restored by a group of guys at the little airport.  He bought it and got a hanger with it.  Seemed like a smart way to get a hanger space, since there are no vacancies there.  He said that he bought the J-3 because he has nowhere to go, so it's an economical simple slow plane that gets him in the air to just putt around.   

I doubt I'll actually start flying because of the cost & time commitment, but I'd be a lot more likely if I had a friend to share the plane with & to learn with.  I'm not sure, but after each of you solo you might be able to build hours together, one as pilot and the other as copilot (I guess that what it would be called?)   

It would be great if you & your FA start flying.  Keep us posted if you do.  :)

It's a long term plan. Neither of us have sufficient time to really dedicate to flying right now, but I'm at least getting the ball rolling. I booked a flight for a few weeks from now, have all my books, my medical is scheduled, and I'm good to start chipping away at it.

I live right near a small, really nice airport as well where I can train, so that's convenient. I'm hoping to start next summer.
I've decided I'm done with any more graduate degrees, so I need a new expensive learning-based hobby to keep me out of trouble.

I've never considered flying before despite coming from a family with a number of pilots, because I thought it was way too expensive, but it's A LOT cheaper than I expected to maintain a small plane, especially when split with a partner/partners.

I just took on a huge project that could result in significant extra money beyond what we need. I really have no interest in upgrading my core lifestyle at all, but did want some way to significantly and tangibly change my quality of life if it does work out.

So yeah, a plane made the most logical sense, especially since I really want to travel more within Canada, which is shockingly expensive by air and prohibitively time consuming and tedious by car, which is why so few Canadians do it.

I have no idea how serious FA is, but I'm sure if actually do it she'll lose her mind if she doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:10:02 AM by Malcat »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2732 on: September 19, 2020, 10:56:11 PM »

Just so long as it's a frugal plane...
Paging @Exflyboy...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2733 on: September 20, 2020, 08:54:53 AM »
If you're perusing used plane listings, don't forget controller.com and barnstormers.com ...

I don't know how the various ratings and plane types in Canada compare to the US, but you could build a lot of time very cheaply in an ultralight or a technically-an-LSA-but-basically-a-two-seat-ultralight.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2734 on: September 20, 2020, 11:37:53 AM »
There is nothing frugal about a plane.

Well there is, its just even if you are frugal its still a boat load of money.

I estimated my fixed costs for operating my instrument equipped RV-7 (lets face is not a beginners airplane by any stretch of the imagination) was about $5 to 6k. Thats just to leave it sitting in the hangar.

Note to get to that point required me building the airplane myself so (in the US at least) you can do all your own repairs and maintenance. If you buy a certified airplane you then have to have a certified mechanic to work on it (at $65/hr) or persuade said mechanic to sign off on your work... I.e he/she signs name to say your work is good. I can't imagine every mechanic (with inspection authority is keen to do this from a liability perspective.

My insurance rates were low because I had a lot of hours. For a newby pilot I would expect to add say $1000/year to the above numbers. Hangar rent in my area was cheap ($140/month) but just 50 miles down the road they were paying nearer $300.

This is all in my area in the USA.

I spent about $90k building the airplane and got almost all of that back when I sold it.

The thing was a maintenance hog and after 25 years or so I was pretty much done with flying. I had some cool experiences, flew a lot of aerobatics, flew across country a few times. Probably the most intense times was flying on instruments. Flying at 200mph and you literally can't see out of the window is wild and creepy..:)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2735 on: September 20, 2020, 01:52:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I have a pretty good sense of the cost from locals who own planes here, as I mentioned, I live near a small private airport/flying club. The prices here are higher, and I'm not particularly mechanically talented, so I'm guessing my costs would be a lot higher than yours.

Of course it isn't frugal, but as I said before, it's still much less than I expected it to be.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2736 on: September 20, 2020, 02:41:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I have a pretty good sense of the cost from locals who own planes here, as I mentioned, I live near a small private airport/flying club. The prices here are higher, and I'm not particularly mechanically talented, so I'm guessing my costs would be a lot higher than yours.

Of course it isn't frugal, but as I said before, it's still much less than I expected it to be.

The costs were less than it was to keep my Wife's horse..:)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2737 on: September 20, 2020, 03:08:05 PM »
Thanks for the info.

The costs were less than it was to keep my Wife's horse..:)

Yeah, when I first heard the cost I was like "hell, I know women who spend more than that per month on their beauty regimen"

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2738 on: September 21, 2020, 07:31:35 AM »
I would love to have a Kolb MKIII. A used one can be had for around $20k, fuel burn around 4 gallon per hour, and the wings fold up so you can store it in a trailer.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2739 on: September 21, 2020, 07:50:49 AM »
I would love to have a Kolb MKIII. A used one can be had for around $20k, fuel burn around 4 gallon per hour, and the wings fold up so you can store it in a trailer.

I'd never heard of them before, so Googled it.  Seems there's one in TX with only 75 hours & a spare engine for $10.5K  (wonder how much you could sell the spare engine for?)

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1567731-Kolb-MkIII-Airplane,-2-seater.html?catid=18868

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2740 on: September 25, 2020, 06:22:42 PM »
I'm currently lusting after a rackmount file server with a RAID 5 of 4 TB SSDs and 10 gigabit LAN connection. Probably would cost $3k and change but would be a big improvement for how we manage our storage.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2741 on: September 26, 2020, 04:16:12 AM »
Kinda want a Gulfstream G650 but it would screw up all my fire plans

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2742 on: September 26, 2020, 07:10:25 AM »
I'm lusting after a lot of things I don't usually think about - thanks COVID!

First up is an actual sense of fashion.  Not like, I want to dress in the latest fashions, but I want to have a distinctive personal fashion that is recognizable.  I'm sick of wearing jeans and t-shirts all the time.  After doing a bunch of research, I concluded that I want a dozen fairly difficult sewing projects with expensive fabric, and several pairs of shoes from these folks: https://www.americanduchess.com/.  Fortunately the particular pairs I wanted are sold out in my size, so I couldn't impulse buy them.

I want a fully-stocked pantry of home-canned jams, fruits, sauces, and salsas.  This is impractical because my garden didn't produce nearly enough to be canning, so almost everything is can is from bought produce, plus I honestly don't have the time between all the house projects we're busy with.  I'm limiting myself to farmer's market seconds so far, which mostly keeps me in check.

I've been toying with getting a smart phone.  I currently have only a basic 'feature' phone, but it's been acting up recently in ways that make texting annoying, plus my gps in my car went missing, plus my work is using an app to register who is on site and I'm having to do a ridiculous run-around to make up for not having a phone that can display my on-site approval.  But I was doing fine without it pre-COVID, so I'm worried I'll regret it post-COVID.

Lusting after the renovations and repairs to be done, but that's not stupid :P

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #2743 on: September 26, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
Yamaha VMax. I'd actually buy one if it wasn't likely to render me deceased.

knot12gossip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2744 on: September 26, 2020, 04:47:03 PM »
For me I'm been hovering over a new camera off & on for about 2 years. I just want something updated. The camera I have now is fine but I've always wanted one that can upload the pictures via wifi. I think this is going to be the year that I actually do it .

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #2745 on: September 26, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »
I want a new iPhone. Waiting to see what they release in Oct/Nov before I buy. My current phone is 4 years old and is ready to be the trainer/house phone for our preteen. I will likely buy the cheapest/smallest of the new releases or look for a deal on the smallest/cheapest of last year’s models.

Feels so crazy because they are so expensive but I use this phone more than I use our laptop. It really makes my life so much easier having everything in one tech item.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2746 on: September 26, 2020, 07:49:12 PM »
I really want a square body Chevy, in red.  Manual transmission if possible.  however, I don't want to deal with rust.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2747 on: September 26, 2020, 07:49:58 PM »
I bought a new camera with WiFi last year. The old one still works fine, but the new one is fantastic. (And my kids can use the old one while I use the new one.)  The WiFi is very convenient when traveling and you want to share photos. A couple of other huge differences were the speed when taking action photos and the low light capabilities of the larger FX sensor in the new camera. I had to readjust my anticipation for action shots - basically stop anticipating and press the button when I want the photo. It’s instant.

My lust at the moment is for a larger chainsaw. My Stihl 280 has been reliable, but I basically went to its limit today. I wish I had spent the $100 on the more powerful 260 fifteen years ago. Even after sharpening the chain, I was bogging down in a 16” log. More to cut tomorrow, but fortunately the Stihl dealer isn’t open until Monday. By then I’ll be done, and I can forget about it.

knot12gossip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2748 on: September 26, 2020, 09:16:34 PM »
I bought a new camera with WiFi last year. The old one still works fine, but the new one is fantastic. (And my kids can use the old one while I use the new one.)  The WiFi is very convenient when traveling and you want to share photos. A couple of other huge differences were the speed when taking action photos and the low light capabilities of the larger FX sensor in the new camera. I had to readjust my anticipation for action shots - basically stop anticipating and press the button when I want the photo. It’s instant.

My lust at the moment is for a larger chainsaw. My Stihl 280 has been reliable, but I basically went to its limit today. I wish I had spent the $100 on the more powerful 260 fifteen years ago. Even after sharpening the chain, I was bogging down in a 16” log. More to cut tomorrow, but fortunately the Stihl dealer isn’t open until Monday. By then I’ll be done, and I can forget about it.
Thank you for your post especially the part regarding the camera. I've been wanting one jzut haven't done it.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2749 on: September 27, 2020, 05:08:15 AM »
I have recently been lusting after a Concept2 D rowing machine.  I'm on the waiting list but they estimate 9-10weeks until I'd be able to order because Covid  shut them down for several weeks and there has been an increase in demand.  I've been trying to get in shape with walking/running the past 5 years or so but I keep getting injured.  Between the injuries and our shitty winters, I need something low impact and indoors if I want to exercise with any consistency.  Im still debating if it's worth the money.  I have no doubt I'll use it daily.  Im pretty good with daily routines once I get started but spending almost $1000 for an exercise machine just seems silly. I guess I have a couple months to make up my mind.