Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1287955 times)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2650 on: August 27, 2020, 07:51:19 AM »

Does this count?  Especially since I can't drive a manual transmission car?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2651 on: August 27, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
Doesn't qualify as stupid, IMO.

Started work on the Dicey approve driveway upgrade. I still feel some hesitation about dropping the money on it, but so far the work is looking really nice. This may be the first time in my life I've done a construction project that didn't involve my own sweat... It feels a little odd.
Is it done yet?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2652 on: August 27, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »

YES! do it!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2653 on: August 27, 2020, 09:17:34 AM »

Started work on the Dicey approve driveway upgrade. I still feel some hesitation about dropping the money on it, but so far the work is looking really nice. This may be the first time in my life I've done a construction project that didn't involve my own sweat... It feels a little odd.
Is it done yet?

They are supposed to pave it today. There was a much long waiting period between gravel work and pavement than I anticipated. At least some of that was weather related because they can’t pave in the rain. Another surprise. I can’t park on it for 5 days after they finish. Fortunately I think we have a work around figured out.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2654 on: August 27, 2020, 11:12:42 AM »
Spoiler: show

YES! do it!

Honestly, if I were in the market for a Corvette, there's a 1976 model that's in better shape for like $500 more.  Nearly the same color.  And I could actually drive it.  But I also know I'm not exactly a fan of the way the Stingrays ride.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2655 on: August 27, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »
Especially since I can't drive a manual transmission car?

Can't like you don't know how, or there is some physical disability? As far as learning that's one weekend.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2656 on: August 27, 2020, 11:37:41 AM »

Can't like you don't know how, or there is some physical disability? As far as learning that's one weekend.

I've tried to learn several times from several different people.  You grind a couple of gears and no one want to let you drive their car anymore.... 

Actually, I can sorta, kinda drive my husband's VW bus.  He tells me that if I can drive it, I can drive anything.  But so far, it's been the only one that doesn't stall out or make a horrible noise when I attempt to drive it.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2657 on: August 27, 2020, 01:13:53 PM »

Is it done yet?

They are supposed to pave it today. There was a much long waiting period between gravel work and pavement than I anticipated. At least some of that was weather related because they can’t pave in the rain. Another surprise. I can’t park on it for 5 days after they finish. Fortunately I think we have a work around figured out.

It is happening! Also fall has started...

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2658 on: August 27, 2020, 01:19:32 PM »

I've tried to learn several times from several different people.  You grind a couple of gears and no one want to let you drive their car anymore.... 

Actually, I can sorta, kinda drive my husband's VW bus.  He tells me that if I can drive it, I can drive anything.  But so far, it's been the only one that doesn't stall out or make a horrible noise when I attempt to drive it.

Out of curiosity, were the other peoples' cars that you learned on also V8s like the Vette? I currently have a newer one with a manual but learned on a car with a very low-powered 4-banger and the Vette is much simpler to drive by comparison. The added low-end torque and heavy flywheel covers over a lot of newbie mistakes.

I taught a friend's wife to drive a manual using my Vette and she picked it up quickly. After a few driveway exercises to get a feel for how the clutch works we were off and driving. It took some time to get a feel for when to up/downshift but that just comes with experience. She had also tried a few times with others to learn but it didn't work out.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2659 on: August 27, 2020, 01:33:40 PM »
I really want a covered patio in the back yard. My house forms an L shape that would be perfect to fill with either a concrete slab or pavers as a base and extend the roof over it for shade - about the area of a 1-car garage. Maybe use some kind of transparent roofing with shades so I can control the light/heat. Wire in an outdoor ceiling fan and some lights. With all the WFH and Covid lockdown stuff I would really like to spend more time outside. I could also easily extend my Wifi network out there and work when the weather is nice. Unfortunately, it's a bit over my head to DIY it so I'd have to find some contractor willing to take a small job and that seems tough these days.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2660 on: August 27, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »

In that case I'd say just keep at it. Maybe drive the bus everywhere for a couple of weeks? My ex-wife always thought that she couldn't drive stick until she was forced to. One weekend and she was passable. One fortnight and she was a pro.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2661 on: August 27, 2020, 01:48:56 PM »

Out of curiosity, were the other peoples' cars that you learned on also V8s like the Vette? I currently have a newer one with a manual but learned on a car with a very low-powered 4-banger and the Vette is much simpler to drive by comparison. The added low-end torque and heavy flywheel covers over a lot of newbie mistakes.

I taught a friend's wife to drive a manual using my Vette and she picked it up quickly. After a few driveway exercises to get a feel for how the clutch works we were off and driving. It took some time to get a feel for when to up/downshift but that just comes with experience. She had also tried a few times with others to learn but it didn't work out.

Umm...there was a early to mid 90s Isuzu Trooper, a 1969 VW Beetle, and a Ranger.  Plus the bus. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2662 on: August 27, 2020, 01:49:44 PM »

In that case I'd say just keep at it. Maybe drive the bus everywhere for a couple of weeks? My ex-wife always thought that she couldn't drive stick until she was forced to. One weekend and she was passable. One fortnight and she was a pro.

Sadly, her poptop was ripped off by a tornado a few years back and we've only recently found a replacement for it.  She's in the shop until she has a roof.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2663 on: August 27, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »

Umm...there was a early to mid 90s Isuzu Trooper, a 1969 VW Beetle, and a Ranger.  Plus the bus.

Dealing with the clutch in the Vette will be a very different experience, then. An 89 Ford Ranger with a worn out 4-cyl was my first. If you can get the bus moving around fairly well, the Vette would be a piece of cake.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2664 on: August 27, 2020, 02:07:37 PM »
The hardest part of learning to drive a manual is getting out of your own head.  Once past that, anyone with two working legs can do it. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2665 on: August 27, 2020, 11:19:08 PM »
The hardest part of learning to drive a manual is getting out of your own head.  Once past that, anyone with two working legs can do it.
I learned to drive a stick on a BMW 2002tii. Many years later, I bought a Honda CRXsi. Both were a ton of fun to drive. I became so adept at shifting that I could drive through town while chowing down on a fast food meal, including fries with ketchup (mmm...In-N-Out...yum). Memories!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2666 on: August 27, 2020, 11:48:53 PM »

Is it done yet?

The finished product:

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2667 on: August 29, 2020, 06:46:20 AM »
I want another upright freezer for the garage. It isn't the price that is holding me back but no room in the garage for it. The Hub has the garage pretty filled up riding mowers, weed whackers, snow blower, oil tank, water tank, boiler, work bench tool boxes rubbermaid cabinets and I have an upright freezer, refrigerator and shelves filled with food and supplies while we are in pandemic. My freezer is filled up and I have no room for sale items like turkeys, rib roasts, chickens, etc.

We could probably jockey stuff around but then I think I must be nuts! Just the two of us in the house and we have one upright (giant) freezer filled up and two refrigerator freezers filled up. But we do cook at home and always have even before the pandemic. Nothing goes to waste.

If I could put it on my deck, that would be super ideal because my kitchen is right there but no can do. It isn't enclosed and the elements and mice and who know what would make a home in the underneath of the appliance.

Maybe I need a new house instead of a new freezer!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2668 on: August 29, 2020, 11:41:37 AM »
What if you ate up the stuff in the current freezer first to make room for more deals?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2669 on: August 29, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »
It would take too long to eat down the freezer! It is filled with so much variety, lots of burgers, salmon burgers, ground meat, steaks, 3 types of fish, sausage, a roast beef, roasting chicken, regular chicken, chicken wings, 12 lbs of butter, tons of frozen veggies, pizzas, pot pies, vegetable lasagnas. I have 12 lbs. of ground meat coming next week. There is more stuff in the freezers but can't think of what. The Hub has done a pretty good job organizing it.

I used to work at a company that had many walk in refrigerators and freezers that were as big as tractor trailer trucks and I really lust after that!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2670 on: August 30, 2020, 10:14:14 AM »
Between the additional food that will end up freezer burned
?$$ before you eat it and the additional monthly running cost for electricity $5/mo and the opportunity cost of not investing the cost of the freezer $3/mo? I would bet that an additional freezer will cost more than you save in sale items

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2671 on: August 31, 2020, 04:11:45 AM »
Can't say I get much, if any, freezer burn because I vacuum pack all my stuff. If it is too big for vac sealer bags it gets wrapped in layers of foil.

I am working on a plan to eat down one shelf to give me space for a couple of turkeys and rib roasts when they go on sale. We shall see how that goes.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2672 on: August 31, 2020, 07:42:25 AM »
I really want my car windows tinting in a dark smoke/limo from the B pillar backwards. It's an estate and ,based on others doing the same, it looks fantastic.

But it's hard to justify spending £200 for something that:

a) Adds no resale value
b) Is purely for cosmetic purposes (on a vehicle nonetheless! How anti-mustachian)

Just don't do it from the A pillar like many do (illegally) here.  I hadn't realized why it could be such a big deal until I started riding my bike everywhere (or even just when walking my kids around) - sooo dangerous when you cannot make eye contact with drivers to get a clue what they're thinking or noticing. 

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2673 on: August 31, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »
I really want my car windows tinting in a dark smoke/limo from the B pillar backwards. It's an estate and ,based on others doing the same, it looks fantastic.

a) Adds no resale value
b) Is purely for cosmetic purposes (on a vehicle nonetheless! How anti-mustachian)

Just don't do it from the A pillar like many do (illegally) here.  I hadn't realized why it could be such a big deal until I started riding my bike everywhere (or even just when walking my kids around) - sooo dangerous when you cannot make eye contact with drivers to get a clue what they're thinking or noticing.

Don't pretend to know that you can tell if a driver can see you, even if it appears that their face may be turned toward your general direction.  The could have their eyes turned or focused on something else entirely.  Having a "clue" is not good enough.  Just assume they do NOT see you.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2674 on: August 31, 2020, 10:08:03 AM »

a) Adds no resale value

Don't pretend to know that you can tell if a driver can see you, even if it appears that their face may be turned toward your general direction.  The could have their eyes turned or focused on something else entirely.  Having a "clue" is not good enough.  Just assume they do NOT see you.

No idea why you would say that.  Of course I assume they don't see me in general, but who said anything about assuming that their face turned in my direction guides my decisions?  When I'm getting ready to walk my kids across the street, I wait until I make eye contact with the driver and they gesture to indicate that they see me and we can proceed.  Can't do that when people have tinted front windows. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2675 on: August 31, 2020, 10:23:56 PM »
I have the eye contact (plus) rule, too. I was almost hit once on college. Five or six of us were riding up a gentle residential hill. A driver came from the right to a stop sign. She looked right at us (through us, as it were), and then she began to pull out. I yelled and slapped her hood as we rode across her front bumper. She stopped abruptly. I left only a handprint and a slightly embarrassed driver.

Eye contact plus head nod or hand wave are my rule now.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2676 on: August 31, 2020, 10:27:42 PM »
A 2021 Ford Bronco.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2677 on: August 31, 2020, 10:54:40 PM »
A 2021 Ford Bronco.

They are pretty damn neat looking!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2678 on: September 01, 2020, 06:08:14 AM »
Raspberry Pi 4 - I've just bought a Pi Zero for a pi-hole project, but I want to get a big Pi as well to mess around.

Another TV that's 55" and 4K instead of my old 32" TV with 3" bezels and a tuner that barely picks up most channels. Probably not worthwhile for now since my Android TV box imbues my shitty old TV with the modern smart features.

A soundbar (this might actually happen).

An e-bike - I've wanted one of those for ages, but baulked at the price. With the current situation and having moved outside of comfortable bike range from work, it's not as necessary. I've got a substantial onboard energy source for my current bike, I should use some of that up first riding locally.

Induction cooktop - The old gas unit that came with this place works just fine, but I kinda want to remove all internal gas appliances (removed the heater in June). I'd need plenty of electrical and plumbing work for this to happen, and because my kitchen is light coloured, I'd want white, and there aren't many white induction cooktops around (and those that are cost far more).

A bunch of tools for the garage (floor jack, etc). My car's having issues, and whilst it's time to get rid, the used car market is terrible at the moment. Part of me wants to fix the biggest issue for now and keep driving it a while longer, but I'll need some additional tools to do the job. Probably better off just putting the money into another car.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2679 on: September 01, 2020, 08:26:07 AM »
A bunch of tools for the garage (floor jack, etc). My car's having issues, and whilst it's time to get rid, the used car market is terrible at the moment. Part of me wants to fix the biggest issue for now and keep driving it a while longer, but I'll need some additional tools to do the job. Probably better off just putting the money into another car.
The bolded part is almost certainly false, despite being commonly used to justify the purchase of a new car.  Even when I've bought a new, specialty tool for a particular job, it has still been way cheaper than paying a mechanic, and certainly cheaper than even a single month's car payment.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2680 on: September 01, 2020, 03:33:58 PM »
Raspberry Pi 4 - I've just bought a Pi Zero for a pi-hole project, but I want to get a big Pi as well to mess around.

This post is coming at you from a Raspberry Pi 4. I had a big gaming desktop computer that broke ~1 year ago (motherboard or processor broke, I haven't isolated which yet). Instead of spending $Hundreds on new parts, I just bought a new Pi 4 + metal/fan case (under $100), and have been using that as my primary computer ever since. Sure, I can't use it to play any modern computer games, but it actually works well for a daily driver and does play a lot of neat retro/vintage games (Pingus, Super Tux, or Pioneers anyone? :-D)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2681 on: September 02, 2020, 01:16:06 AM »

This post is coming at you from a Raspberry Pi 4. I had a big gaming desktop computer that broke ~1 year ago (motherboard or processor broke, I haven't isolated which yet). Instead of spending $Hundreds on new parts, I just bought a new Pi 4 + metal/fan case (under $100), and have been using that as my primary computer ever since. Sure, I can't use it to play any modern computer games, but it actually works well for a daily driver and does play a lot of neat retro/vintage games (Pingus, Super Tux, or Pioneers anyone? :-D)

This is true, but I already have a perfectly decent Windows laptop that's not very old.

The bolded part is almost certainly false, despite being commonly used to justify the purchase of a new car.  Even when I've bought a new, specialty tool for a particular job, it has still been way cheaper than paying a mechanic, and certainly cheaper than even a single month's car payment.

What's swinging it for me is that the used market is overpriced as hell at the moment. Spending $500 to sort out the current car and driving it for another 6-12 months might mean that what I want to buy is down to pre-pandemic prices by then, rather than paying over the odds now.

StacheDash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2682 on: September 02, 2020, 04:36:29 AM »
I want a commercial size coffee roaster. I have dreams of starting a roasting company, but I don’t think that is in my near future.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2683 on: September 02, 2020, 05:29:39 AM »
I want 20+ acres in a particular location so I can quit my job and start a cut-your-own Christmas tree farm.  And I'd use the long parking lot in the offseason as my own personal airstrip.  Because I want my own airplane too!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2684 on: September 02, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »

There's also RetroPie (https://retropie.org.uk/)

I don't have time and patience for video games but I do have a RasPi 3 for Pi-hole and RasPi 4 as my older kid's home computer and for self-learning programming and for CodeAcademy courses.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2685 on: September 02, 2020, 12:51:51 PM »
truly madly deeply want to take a flight to go hiking in Colorado or Western North Carolina. Or a vacation overseas and also meet relatives (UK/Dubai/Kenya). And drinking local beer/ales/porter/stout in UK. Nightly visits to curry houses and pub rounds. Day hikes in rural England and Wales.
None of these will happen; man can still dream.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #2686 on: September 03, 2020, 06:38:31 AM »
A tablet with TCLs NXTPAPER screen (https://pocketnow.com/tcl-debuts-two-tablets-with-its-nxtpaper-technology).

I am waiting for something like this since the first news about PixelQi and the OLPC project.

Just a little bit longer...

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2687 on: September 03, 2020, 10:20:43 AM »
I’d like a yacht and DD thinks it would be really cool to buy a winery.  DW is a lot more practical, and is content as long as there’s plenty of cold beer in the fridge for the afternoon. 🍻

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2688 on: September 03, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »
Not lusting after... went from zero to "purchased" in the span of a few hours:

I used to have this amazing pair of stack-heeled loafers in the late 1990s that I wore all the freakin' time, and somewhere along the line I guess I re-heeled them enough times that I must have decided they were finally too worn out to keep. Anyway, a couple years ago, I remembered those things and started feeling really nostalgic for them, to the point that I looked all over online for the same pair or a pair close enough like them, but I couldn't find anything.

This morning I saw an ad for a pair of stack-heeled loafers that are almost exactly like the ones I used to have! Downside: they are ridiculously expensive (for me, anyway) and I don't really need them, especially not on lockdown where I basically never go anywhere.

Well, it took me about six hours of going back and looking at them online, talking myself out of them, looking at them again, reading the reviews, and then finally saying fuck it, I can return them for free if I have second thoughts, plus I have the money.

I better wear these damn things all the time. Ugh. Stupid me.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2689 on: September 03, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »

I used to have this amazing pair of stack-heeled loafers in the late 1990s that I wore all the freakin' time, and somewhere along the line I guess I re-heeled them enough times that I must have decided they were finally too worn out to keep. Anyway, a couple years ago, I remembered those things and started feeling really nostalgic for them, to the point that I looked all over online for the same pair or a pair close enough like them, but I couldn't find anything.

This morning I saw an ad for a pair of stack-heeled loafers that are almost exactly like the ones I used to have! Downside: they are ridiculously expensive (for me, anyway) and I don't really need them, especially not on lockdown where I basically never go anywhere.

Well, it took me about six hours of going back and looking at them online, talking myself out of them, looking at them again, reading the reviews, and then finally saying fuck it, I can return them for free if I have second thoughts, plus I have the money.

I had a pair of those in I think 1970.  Only shoes with heels my feet were ever happy in.   Be happy wearing them.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2690 on: September 03, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »

I had a pair of those in I think 1970.  Only shoes with heels my feet were ever happy in.   Be happy wearing them.

I hope I will. One upside: they seem like amazing quality. Like, on the order of Frye Boots quality, which means if I like them enough to keep them, I’ll be wearing them often, and for the rest of my life.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2691 on: September 03, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »
@Kris link? They sound just my jam

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #2692 on: September 04, 2020, 04:07:41 AM »
Peri-peri cashew nuts. My secret addiction.

The good ones are usually brought to Johannesburg from neighbouring country Mozambique. I guess covid restrictions have hindered supply lines. Locally available nuts just not the same!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2693 on: September 04, 2020, 05:51:00 AM »

I don't wear formal shoes anymore (or maybe once a year at company party).
But these guys are doing some amazing shoe repair: https://youtu.be/qP74T9CwbBg
Satisfies my lust of watching old shoes given a second life.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2694 on: September 04, 2020, 05:52:58 AM »
Peri-peri cashew nuts. My secret addiction.

The good ones are usually brought to Johannesburg from neighbouring country Mozambique. I guess covid restrictions have hindered supply lines. Locally available nuts just not the same!

WTF is this? Is there a spice mix added to roasted cashews when hot?

I have to settle for Nando's sauces from my local supermarket, and they have only 3 flavors. Arrrgh!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2695 on: September 04, 2020, 06:31:51 AM »

https://www.freebirdstores.com/products/bristol-womens-exclusive-leather-heeled-loafer?variant=32569811501161

As I said, ridiculously expensive... but there’s a 20% promo code on the site (see the banner) and free shipping in the US/free returns.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2696 on: September 04, 2020, 08:32:52 AM »

https://www.freebirdstores.com/products/bristol-womens-exclusive-leather-heeled-loafer?variant=32569811501161

As I said, ridiculously expensive... but there’s a 20% promo code on the site (see the banner) and free shipping in the US/free returns.

funny, i clicked on that link just to see what kind of shoes your talking about and now they pop up on all over the place.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2697 on: September 04, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
Gordon Murray's new T.50 supercar is looking awesome. It has the best engine response (measured by how quickly the engine can spin through rev ranges) in the world, which will help immeasurably in the "sound and fury" stakes. It revs to over 12,000rpm which is pretty amazing for a V12.

I think one of the best sensations in the world is having a free revving flat 6/V8/V10/V12 under your right foot that you can spin up again and again. These cars are getting rarer and rarer due to emissions regulations. Most of the naturally aspirated engines have already been abandoned. It's good to see a car company embracing a big atmo engine. The four and six cylinder turbo engines in newer performance cars nowadays are just pure shite in comparison.

I don't think I'll ever be rich enough to afford the T.50, since it's over 2 million pounds.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:27:39 PM by Bloop Bloop »

NotBadForADad

• Stubble
« Reply #2698 on: September 04, 2020, 06:31:12 PM »
drums, cymbals, houses with more property, patios, European cars.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2699 on: September 04, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »

Well, they *are* cute but since the site keeps automatically dumping me to google, they clearly don't want my filthy Australian money. Probably just as well, I've spent entirely too much on Duckfeet shoes this year.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!