Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1295190 times)

Master of None

• Bristles
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2600 on: August 06, 2020, 09:51:16 AM »
Anywhere from 30-50 acres of hunting land with creek access that has a decent swimming hole on it. I would also want it within a 1-2 hour drive so I could spend lots of time there. No need for a house/water/electric as of now. Would just love a place of my own to camp and hunt during the season. Overtime I could see building a few small cabins and adding amenities and then renting it out a few weeks during hunting season for some extra money.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2601 on: August 06, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »
Tons of crafting supplies.  I'm going to try a couple of crafts as a new hobby, which I fairly desperately need, but my inclination is to go way overboard on supplies.  I don't even know if I'll like it yet and I want a fully stocked craft room!  Which, incidentally, we have absolutely no room for.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2602 on: August 07, 2020, 06:40:07 AM »
Anywhere from 30-50 acres of hunting land with creek access that has a decent swimming hole on it. I would also want it within a 1-2 hour drive so I could spend lots of time there. No need for a house/water/electric as of now. Would just love a place of my own to camp and hunt during the season. Overtime I could see building a few small cabins and adding amenities and then renting it out a few weeks during hunting season for some extra money.

Good luck on this idea, I've got a couple such places.
Spend a little more and include some farm ground and you can get some annual income out of the place.

Master of None

• Bristles
« Reply #2603 on: August 07, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »

Good luck on this idea, I've got a couple such places.
Spend a little more and include some farm ground and you can get some annual income out of the place.

Any specific advise or starting points you could point me towards? Feel free to send a DM. I have some extended family that farms, but I would be looking more at leasing the land for farming. I need to spend some more time researching this. Got the itch!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2604 on: August 09, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »
Any specific advise or starting points you could point me towards? Feel free to send a DM. I have some extended family that farms, but I would be looking more at leasing the land for farming. I need to spend some more time researching this. Got the itch!

What state are you looking at?

Our ground is in both IN & IL about five hours apart, so not too bad of a drive, deer hunting is my focus, but also fish, small game hunt, mushroom hunt, etc.   We live on our IN land and can hunt and fish right out the back door.   Spend much of my spare time doing habitat work and improving the place for wildlife.   IN only allows one buck per year, so I didn't see any advantage to adding a bunch more ground here.

For years I had been hunting over in IL every fall also, leasing hunting properties, hunting with outfitters, etc.   Got to liking a particular area so well I bought a farm, built a cabin, and locked in a long term deal on the leased ground also.   We get enough income from the IL cash rent to cover all the costs of the cabin on that property, taxes, utilities, etc.

There are still some pretty reasonable deals on land where you can have a combination of some rough ground and crop land at a reasonable price per acre.   

Lostcomm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2605 on: August 09, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »
I have a 2008 Pontiac Solstice. It's a fun little daily driver for South Florida. I've got some mods I'd like to install: vertical doors, a luggage rack, different stereo with a navigation system, dashcam, cup holder (OEM commonly fails on this model), a new arm rest, remote start, wind blocker, seat covers, and ceramic coating. Maybe a couple of other things... but I figure 5,000 out the door for all of this is pretty realistic I think. The doors at 1500 are the biggest cost.

It's a fun little car, and while I'm not driving much right now, it makes the worst part of my day better. Funny thing is I spend waay less than 10k for the car, and have only put another thousand into it for a new computer. So with the cost of the car in mind, the mods are going to cost more than half what I paid, which seems a little dumb, except I've resigned myself to keeping the car and enjoying it while I can still get in and out of it without trouble.

Skewer away Mustacians!

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2606 on: August 09, 2020, 01:05:25 PM »
I have a 2008 Pontiac Solstice. It's a fun little daily driver for South Florida. I've got some mods I'd like to install: vertical doors, a luggage rack, different stereo with a navigation system, dashcam, cup holder (OEM commonly fails on this model), a new arm rest, remote start, wind blocker, seat covers, and ceramic coating. Maybe a couple of other things... but I figure 5,000 out the door for all of this is pretty realistic I think. The doors at 1500 are the biggest cost.

It's a fun little car, and while I'm not driving much right now, it makes the worst part of my day better. Funny thing is I spend waay less than 10k for the car, and have only put another thousand into it for a new computer. So with the cost of the car in mind, the mods are going to cost more than half what I paid, which seems a little dumb, except I've resigned myself to keeping the car and enjoying it while I can still get in and out of it without trouble.

Skewer away Mustacians!

Other than the cup holders and the wind blocker, none of those will make it more enjoyable, they're just shiny trinkets. Only do the things that will make it more fun.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2607 on: August 09, 2020, 09:03:51 PM »
The Pontiac Solstice is the best looking car of its class and period.That is true hands down, take it from  from someone who has looked at mid to lower priced  two-seater convertibleS for a decade.

When it came time for me to buy one,last year after years of drooling over the two-seater convertibles, I lookEd at a Solstice and had to give up because of trunk size. The trunk size was ridiculously small. But they still turn my head when they drive byl

I ended up buying a Fiat Spider 124, decent size trunk, all things considered.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:00:07 PM by iris lily »

Lostcomm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2608 on: August 10, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »
That's a fact - the trunk has just enough room for a change of mind! The Fiat looks like fun, too though!

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2609 on: August 10, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »

It seems like anything that I have any lust for is mostly for stuff that I don't want to deal with until after I FIRE, since that could be less than a year off.  And most of those things aren't really stupid, but they're not really necessary, either.  E-bike, home improvements like remodeling the kitchen, new cell phone, upgraded indoor exercise equipment, larger HDTV, Sony noise reduction headphones, and a truck or trailer.

As for anything I currently feel a more ongoing lust for while still working full time, I would say a large country estate with plenty of privacy, no airports, railroad tracks, businesses, busy roads, or neighbors near-by.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2610 on: August 10, 2020, 08:59:04 PM »
I've got some mods I'd like to install: vertical doors [...] The doors at 1500 are the biggest cost.
Vertical doors add weight and are super tacky. You're really better off without them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2611 on: August 11, 2020, 07:03:18 AM »
I really want a set of POSCA paint pens.

luminajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2612 on: August 12, 2020, 04:40:34 AM »
A minivan.  The Thule bike rack on my camry hybrid is built to carry 4 bikes and i can never get all 4 on there,  they sit too close together.  I have it in my head to get a toyota sienna so i can put 3 on the rack and the 4th IN the van.  Plus the van offers more cargo space for camping trips and seating for the rare occasion my 3 daughters and i want to haul a guest.  But i don't want to give  up the hybrid 35 mpg.
But we love to go biking in other towns!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2613 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »
A minivan.  The Thule bike rack on my camry hybrid is built to carry 4 bikes and i can never get all 4 on there,  they sit too close together.  I have it in my head to get a toyota sienna so i can put 3 on the rack and the 4th IN the van.  Plus the van offers more cargo space for camping trips and seating for the rare occasion my 3 daughters and i want to haul a guest.  But i don't want to give  up the hybrid 35 mpg.

DO IT! i love mine. the mileage is ok if you don't drive it very much. it's a nice ride, plush and quiet.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2614 on: August 12, 2020, 03:19:13 PM »
A Stromer e-bike. I finally got to ride one and I can definitely see this becoming an obsession.

luminajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2615 on: August 12, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »

DO IT! i love mine. the mileage is ok if you don't drive it very much. it's a nice ride, plush and quiet.
It will cost me about an extra $80/month in gas and probably 5k to get the model i want :/
We do lots of road trips and camping so I know I would love the increase in cargo space and room. If i could pay cash ai probably would.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2616 on: August 13, 2020, 05:42:33 PM »

Can you do a roof rack and a hitch mounted rack? That would let you carry lots of bikes and not give up your MPGs.

nobody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2617 on: August 13, 2020, 08:39:58 PM »
Condo.

I’m lusting after a condo. I’ve been trying to talk myself out of this for  nearly 2 years. I think buying a condo is stupid because

1) they are poor investments in the Midwest

and 2) Being part of a group, a condo association, that makes group maintenance decisions about an old building gives me the skeevies.

People are generally quite stupid about saving money to maintain old buildings.

As for the other issues with a condo building and governing board, I don’t mind that there are rules, the rules are enforced,  and a bunch of old ladies my age live there and keep an eye on things. I like that atmosphere.

But I will probably buy one when the right one comes on the market because it’s a very small percentage of our net worth.

I'm also lusting over a condo.  Currently, all housing expenses, utilities, internet, taxes, insurance, etc, (no mortgage) is about $5800/year.  The condo I'm lusting over would probably be about $4500/year.  Plus, if I sell my house for it, I would pocket about 25k in equity.  But, also think it's stupid for the same reasons.

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2618 on: August 13, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »
My dream is to convert all my forced air heating into hydroponic baseboard heat. I had that as a kid and it was so much more cozy. It was quiet with just the sound of the "think tink" as the warm water circulated.  Alas, we don't have natural gas here so it would need to be propane and the installation would be a nightmare in an existing build.  I hate forced air heat pump heat. It's like the McDonald's of heating.

Can you do a wood stove? I find wood heat to be the very coziest and it's very Mustachian. When I build my own house I plan to do a wood stove with hydronic as the back up.

I have a wood stove in my finished basement we LOVE.   I could put another one on the main floor but I just turned 40yo this year and wood stoves are a lot of work and a lot of mess.  See above post about me spending $7k on a Muck Truck.... Mostly just to move firewood.   Surprisingly the wood stove does a decent job at keeping the rest of the house livable even though it's in the basement.

Basement is definitely better than only having one upstairs... I'd really like to know what the person who designed my house was thinking... I've actually given some thought to building a small hydronic system on the stove to send some heat down stairs. I think I could cut my heating bill enough to justify it. MY first attempt was adding a duct and fan to force warm air down, and over to the other side of the house, but it does not move enough heat.

I'm pushing 40 as well but hope the wood cutting will keep me feeling young long term even if it makes me feel old in the short term...

I had to look up muck trucks, that does look like a handy tool.
Pushing 60 this year and still into cutting, splitting, stacking. Will do as long as we can.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2619 on: August 14, 2020, 12:25:21 AM »
My dream is to convert all my forced air heating into hydroponic baseboard heat. I had that as a kid and it was so much more cozy. It was quiet with just the sound of the "think tink" as the warm water circulated.  Alas, we don't have natural gas here so it would need to be propane and the installation would be a nightmare in an existing build.  I hate forced air heat pump heat. It's like the McDonald's of heating.

Can you do a wood stove? I find wood heat to be the very coziest and it's very Mustachian. When I build my own house I plan to do a wood stove with hydronic as the back up.

I have a wood stove in my finished basement we LOVE.   I could put another one on the main floor but I just turned 40yo this year and wood stoves are a lot of work and a lot of mess.  See above post about me spending $7k on a Muck Truck.... Mostly just to move firewood.   Surprisingly the wood stove does a decent job at keeping the rest of the house livable even though it's in the basement.

Basement is definitely better than only having one upstairs... I'd really like to know what the person who designed my house was thinking... I've actually given some thought to building a small hydronic system on the stove to send some heat down stairs. I think I could cut my heating bill enough to justify it. MY first attempt was adding a duct and fan to force warm air down, and over to the other side of the house, but it does not move enough heat.

I'm pushing 40 as well but hope the wood cutting will keep me feeling young long term even if it makes me feel old in the short term...

Pushing 60 this year and still into cutting, splitting, stacking. Will do as long as we can.

That's encouraging to hear. My father is 71 this year and he finally decided the vibration of the Husky he's been using since before I was born was too much... so he bought and Dewalt 60v saw. It's a whole lot lighter and has way less vibration. Yesterday he over did it and strained his low back cutting wood on the ground.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2620 on: August 14, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »

Are you mounting 2 pointing forwards and 2 pointing backwards? Also, check out mounts where you take off the front wheel and mount via the quick release. 2 of them and 2 normal will be less wide

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2621 on: August 14, 2020, 02:22:22 PM »
Doesn't qualify as stupid, IMO.

Started work on the Dicey approve driveway upgrade. I still feel some hesitation about dropping the money on it, but so far the work is looking really nice. This may be the first time in my life I've done a construction project that didn't involve my own sweat... It feels a little odd.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2622 on: August 14, 2020, 05:55:29 PM »
Salsa warbird gravel bike... one for myself, one for my wife...

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2623 on: August 14, 2020, 11:59:42 PM »
I have a 2008 Pontiac Solstice....

Skewer away Mustachians!

My DH bought his new in 2005 - it was one of the First 1000 built.

He just sold it to someone across the country, and she had it picked up and trailered to her in NH.

He loved his 15 years with the car. Cheers!

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2624 on: August 15, 2020, 12:26:20 AM »
Salsa warbird gravel bike... one for myself, one for my wife...
Why is this stupid?  N+1 for life!

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2625 on: August 17, 2020, 03:45:47 AM »

Are you mounting 2 pointing forwards and 2 pointing backwards? Also, check out mounts where you take off the front wheel and mount via the quick release. 2 of them and 2 normal will be less wide

Yeah, seems like @luminajd isn’t doing something right. I used to have no problem putting 4 bikes on my Volvo S70 in college. My gas mileage went to absolute shit and the handling was a bit worse, but it worked.

I also second the idea of a hitch mount rack, they make 4 bike models. I made the switch in ~2014, it’s been a game changer. It’s so much easier to load a bike onto the hitch and it doesn’t mess with my mileage.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #2626 on: August 17, 2020, 09:39:19 AM »
One project I’ve been kicking around mentally for a few years is building a car from a certain subcompact hatchback. The concept (and especially the name) is inspired by a web/TV show called Roadkill, but it would probably end up a lot more polished and (hopefully) reliable.

Either custom build or modify a chassis. V-8 engine (probably with turbo or supercharger). Convert to rear wheel drive (modify/remove dash and redo center console area to allow room for back end of engine, transmission, and drive shaft). Upgrade brakes, suspension, tires, etc. Drop the car body on top. Probably should have a roll cage in there somewhere.

The project body would be a Honda Fit, and it would henceforth be known as the F-it.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #2627 on: August 17, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »
Microsoft Surface Duo. 1400$ for a v1, and it's not even sold here...

But it has a pen and folds like a book!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2628 on: August 17, 2020, 11:15:33 AM »

That's encouraging to hear. My father is 71 this year and he finally decided the vibration of the Husky he's been using since before I was born was too much... so he bought and Dewalt 60v saw. It's a whole lot lighter and has way less vibration. Yesterday he over did it and strained his low back cutting wood on the ground.

DH is 65 years  old and single-handedly took down a small grove of trees, at least 30 of them, the tallest was 40 feet tall. I’m not exaggerating, we measured it. It made me crazy he was doing that and I didn’t want to be at our we can place the day he was taking down that 40 foot tree. Jesus god that was crazy. But everything ended well and now we have no grove of scrubby half dead trees,  things look good.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2629 on: August 17, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
DH is 65 years  old and single-handedly took down a small grove of trees, at least 30 of them, the tallest was 40 feet tall. I’m not exaggerating, we measured it. It made me crazy he was doing that and I didn’t want to be at our we can place the day he was taking down that 40 foot tree. Jesus god that was crazy. But everything ended well and now we have no grove of scrubby half dead trees,  things look good.

Glad it turned out well. We took down a 50 foot spruce tree (big for the area) at my fathers house on Saturday. It's been leaning pretty hard at the top for a long time and he was finally ready to have it down for fear of a wind storm dropping it on the house. Used a come a long to ensure it dropped where I wanted it too and was really thank full i did. It tried to twist, but the rope held and it landed right where I wanted it. Unfortunately I found a screw 10 feet up the tree from an old dog pen (late 90s) and pretty much ruined a nearly new chain.

Decided I really like the battery powered saw for cutting branches and small wood, but I'm not ready to give up the Husky for cutting logs...

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2630 on: August 18, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »
One project I’ve been kicking around mentally for a few years is building a car from a certain subcompact hatchback. The concept (and especially the name) is inspired by a web/TV show called Roadkill, but it would probably end up a lot more polished and (hopefully) reliable.

Either custom build or modify a chassis. V-8 engine (probably with turbo or supercharger). Convert to rear wheel drive (modify/remove dash and redo center console area to allow room for back end of engine, transmission, and drive shaft). Upgrade brakes, suspension, tires, etc. Drop the car body on top. Probably should have a roll cage in there somewhere.

The project body would be a Honda Fit, and it would henceforth be known as the F-it.

Wow.  Err.  You have some reading to do. 

luminajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2631 on: August 19, 2020, 05:36:24 AM »

Yeah, seems like @luminajd isn’t doing something right. I used to have no problem putting 4 bikes on my Volvo S70 in college. My gas mileage went to absolute shit and the handling was a bit worse, but it worked.

I also second the idea of a hitch mount rack, they make 4 bike models. I made the switch in ~2014, it’s been a game changer. It’s so much easier to load a bike onto the hitch and it doesn’t mess with my mileage.
I have had the hitch mount rack for 2 summers and it was always a fight to get all 4 on there. I was convinced it wasnt going to happen (one of the bikes is for my 9 year old and 2 others are also step through frame, which seems like it makes it harder without the straight bar but I didnt want to buy an adapter)
Well I managed to get them loaded twice successfully in the last few days! I had been doing 2 pointing opposite directions, I learned I need to do 3 one way and the 4th the opposite. I had tried doing the whole remove a tire thing and that didnt help and added in me having to figure out how to mount the tire back on.
Im optimistic I figured out how to always mount them!

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #2632 on: August 19, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »

Strangely enough, I understand exactly where Boll Weevil is coming from. 

The rational thing would be to start with a cheap old corvette or mustang or GM F-body ponycar.  That's what the vast majority of people will do.  A few will do it the hard way and sink time, effort, and money into comprehensively modifying a fundamentally inappropriate vehicle (like a Honda Fit).  There's no way to explain why you would choose to do it the second way, but a lot of gearheads will understand and will appreciate the effort involved (especially if it is successful). 

I have a perverse respect for people who insist on doing things the hard way for their own reasons; guys like John Suter, who dedicated years of his life to raising and training poodles as sled dogs to run the Iditarod.  Sure, he could have raised and trained Huskies like everyone else, but where would the fun be in that?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2633 on: August 19, 2020, 01:24:09 PM »
I have a perverse respect for people who insist on doing things the hard way for their own reasons; guys like John Suter, who dedicated years of his life to raising and training poodles as sled dogs to run the Iditarod.  Sure, he could have raised and trained Huskies like everyone else, but where would the fun be in that?

Thank you. I live near the start of the Idiarod now and lived on the trail two years but had not heard of John Suter. That is hilarious, and I salute his efforts.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #2634 on: August 19, 2020, 01:49:56 PM »
Not that stupid, but I want to replace my current bike with a folding bike.

Would be a lot more convenient since I can put it in a car and my apartment easily.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2635 on: August 20, 2020, 06:29:50 AM »

Strangely enough, I understand exactly where Boll Weevil is coming from. 

The rational thing would be to start with a cheap old corvette or mustang or GM F-body ponycar.  That's what the vast majority of people will do.  A few will do it the hard way and sink time, effort, and money into comprehensively modifying a fundamentally inappropriate vehicle (like a Honda Fit).  There's no way to explain why you would choose to do it the second way, but a lot of gearheads will understand and will appreciate the effort involved (especially if it is successful). 

Right, I have no inherent issue with modifying a Honda fit, but what he's suggesting is essentially removing everything that makes a Honda Fit a Honda Fit except for the outer shell, and then plopping it down onto a tube frame chassis.  Aside from that being a little silly, but acceptable, building a tube frame is freaking hard.  Do it wrong, and your car will handle like a 1979 F100 pickup, or worse.

Basically, he's not proposing raising poodles to run the iditarod, he's proposing finding some bears and teaching them to pull sleds.  That's why I mentioned he should do some reading. 

pharmmm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2636 on: August 20, 2020, 07:37:07 AM »
-Mountain bike shoes and pedals (120) - regular shoes work fine and don't ride enough to justify
-Foam mattress (300) - current one works fine
-Raised garden beds (700) - have ground
-Gaming PC (1.5k) - don't even play the games to justify it but watch so many youtube videos on cool setups
-Battlestation for said gaming PC (500) - I'm 33, not 16, but damn they look cool
-Frameless glass shower enclosure (2k) - current one is fine but it gets mold in the steel creases and tracks you have to clean and feel like I would recoup costs when selling

Feels good to get it all out there! Been putting off all these purchases for at least a year.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2637 on: August 20, 2020, 10:15:04 AM »
-Frameless glass shower enclosure (2k) - current one is fine but it gets mold in the steel creases and tracks you have to clean and feel like I would recoup costs when selling
If it helps you feel any better, I'm coveting a doorless, walk-in shower.  No curtain, no doors, no glass, and no worries about mold or water spots.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2638 on: August 20, 2020, 10:19:47 AM »
If it helps you feel any better, I'm coveting a doorless, walk-in shower.  No curtain, no doors, no glass, and no worries about mold or water spots.

I’ve used a number of those outside of the US and I’ve yet to use one that doesn’t get water all over the floor of the bathroom. Even at the super fancy hotel in Santiago after walking the Camino the door free shower resulted it water on the floor. That’s not a trade I’m willing to make.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2639 on: August 21, 2020, 02:10:13 AM »
-Mountain bike shoes and pedals (120) - regular shoes work fine and don't ride enough to justify

SPD shoes and pedals are a cycling essential in my book.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #2640 on: August 21, 2020, 05:20:53 AM »

I’ve used a number of those outside of the US and I’ve yet to use one that doesn’t get water all over the floor of the bathroom. Even at the super fancy hotel in Santiago after walking the Camino the door free shower resulted it water on the floor. That’s not a trade I’m willing to make.

You need a larger shower area to make the doorless/no panel setup up work. We have this in our main bathroom. Shower is in a corner and the shower floor is 6 ft X 6 ft. A rain shower head works best, ie the water drops straight down, no sideways trajectory at all.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2641 on: August 21, 2020, 07:10:24 AM »
A new deck for the back of the house. We currently have a two level deck that because of its shape makes no sense to set up a table or furniture. Its getting so old its collapsing in areas and it just looks awful. The problem is the price of green treated lumber if you can even get it is through the roof and Decking materials are two months out. I have thought of ways to just pretty it up but that loses the functionality of it. I have got several bids and ideas from contractors and because of the lumber situation they put disclaimers that if they can get the materials that once materials come in they have to have lumber reprices so could go up more. Really need to do it. Really would love a new deck right now. Waiting might be the best way to go but some of the posts are literally rotted just beneath the ground. So lusting to get this done and working to figure out how to do this that makes the most sense.!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2642 on: August 21, 2020, 10:20:10 AM »
85 f1.4. No one to shoot for now, but lens are forever :)

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2643 on: August 21, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. And a new PC capable of handling it. And some realistic flight controls.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2645 on: August 23, 2020, 01:22:07 AM »

You'll not be able to tell the difference between f/1.8, but your wallet will :)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2646 on: August 23, 2020, 06:34:52 AM »
I've been lusting for a Lathe, to do it right, I'd probably need to spend about $2,500,
after accesssories and shipping. I keep telling myself after I clean up my shop and make room.
Still lusting after the lathe, I have put in some work cleaning the shop, but that is so I can move in a milling machine I have stored at the neighbors. :-) I need to do some rearranging of the shelving, so it goes, little by little.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2647 on: August 23, 2020, 08:56:07 AM »

Glad it turned out well. We took down a 50 foot spruce tree (big for the area) at my fathers house on Saturday. It's been leaning pretty hard at the top for a long time and he was finally ready to have it down for fear of a wind storm dropping it on the house. Used a come a long to ensure it dropped where I wanted it too and was really thank full i did. It tried to twist, but the rope held and it landed right where I wanted it. Unfortunately I found a screw 10 feet up the tree from an old dog pen (late 90s) and pretty much ruined a nearly new chain.

Decided I really like the battery powered saw for cutting branches and small wood, but I'm not ready to give up the Husky for cutting logs...

A few years ago I bought a battery powered pole saw.  It's been great for all kinds of chainsaw work when I don't need a real saw.  It reaches up high in the air, it reaches down low without me needing to bend over.  It's also quiet and runs a lot longer on a charge than you'd expect. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2648 on: August 23, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »
I've been lusting for a Lathe, to do it right, I'd probably need to spend about $2,500,
after accesssories and shipping. I keep telling myself after I clean up my shop and make room.
Still lusting after the lathe, I have put in some work cleaning the shop, but that is so I can move in a milling machine I have stored at the neighbors. :-) I need to do some rearranging of the shelving, so it goes, little by little.

I'm still just lusting after a shop!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2649 on: August 23, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »

You'll not be able to tell the difference between f/1.8, but your wallet will :)
That's fair; but I am knee deep in the Pentax system so no f1.8 for me. I did find an excellent used 85/1.4 for a little over $700, which is a decent price for f1.4.

I have been stuck indoors for half a year now, so I guess I have been treating myself to trinkets - like I bought 2 copies of Zeiss 35/2 just because.