Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288348 times)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #2500 on: June 27, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »
A new camera.  The something from the Fujifilm GFX line with the 50mm and the 110 mm lenses.  .... 'spensive.  Will not.  But want to.

Not quite as grand, but I've been browsing for an upgrade to me Eos M with a cracked screen, and a nice tripod for video. After much deliberation, I made do with a <£10 ebay special tripod, and made myself a beanbag out of an old neoprene case from a telephone headset and some dried beans.

I approve.  I have enough cameras.  The equipment is not the limitation for me.  But sometimes I still want to... . but no.  Not at the current stage in life. :)

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2501 on: June 27, 2020, 10:51:03 AM »
A new camera.  The something from the Fujifilm GFX line with the 50mm and the 110 mm lenses.  .... 'spensive.  Will not.  But want to.

Not quite as grand, but I've been browsing for an upgrade to me Eos M with a cracked screen, and a nice tripod for video. After much deliberation, I made do with a <£10 ebay special tripod, and made myself a beanbag out of an old neoprene case from a telephone headset and some dried beans.

I approve.  I have enough cameras.  The equipment is not the limitation for me.  But sometimes I still want to... . but no.  Not at the current stage in life. :)

It's more difficult to justify when the quality of an iphone camera is significantly better than 'good enough' for 90% of situations. A camera is sufficiently impractical a purchase that it would need to be on the  'I've wanted this for 3 months now'  list before I went and bought one

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2502 on: June 27, 2020, 10:52:12 AM »
It's more difficult to justify when the quality of an iphone camera is significantly better than 'good enough' for 90% of situations. A camera is sufficiently impractical a purchase that it would need to be on the  'I've wanted this for 3 months now'  list before I went and bought one

On the positive note, I've never purchased a phone with a good camera.  :)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2503 on: June 27, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
SRAM Force 1 AXS Power Meter.

So I’ve been looking at getting crank based power too, what is it about the AXS that makes it better?  For me, I keep wobbling between the Power2Max NGEco, the quarq dzero dub and “you suck at cycling anyways, stop looking at power meters”.

Well, I don't have an existing crank that will work with any of the (top rated) Quarq solutions, so it would just be easy for me. Obviously, SRAM purchased Quarq year ago.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2504 on: June 29, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »
Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer, Classic Plus or Artisan series. Factory-refurb will do.

Been making bread weekly for last 4 years in a bread maker. Want to use a stand mixer to make multiple breads and shapes since kids are growing and eat more and they want variety. Plus motivation to make breads seen in baking shows.

The current $50 bread maker works very well, no need to get rid of, hence can't really justify spend a couple of hundred on a new machine. Plus have to find a storage space since it is 14.5 inches tall in the tilt position.

#FirstWorldProblemsBeingMarriedToFrugalCPAWife
You might have a use case - I certainly don't and I think my cost-per-use for the stand mixer (in crystal blue) is down to $70. Plus it's half a centimetre too tall to fit in any of our shelves or cupboards (non-adjustable) and eats up a spectacular amount of bench space. Oh and weighs 10kg.

I have a professional 5+ and love it.  I use it at a couple of times a week, almost always for kneading bread dough.  I make bread far more often than I would if I had to knead by hand.  I would choose the mixer over a bread machine without hesitation because it gives you a lot more flexibility, but the choice might be more difficult if I already had a bread machine. 

By the way, Kitchenaids seem to be built to last.  By coincidence, mine "walked" its way off the counter and fell about three feet to a ceramic tile floor.  It dented the head a bit, but did absolutely no other damage and it still works perfectly.  I've heard that the older ones were built better than newer ones (mines relatively new), but I'm impressed with the current build quality.  BTW, I'm told that the artisan series has some plastic gears and internals and that the upper level ones use metal.  I'd look into it if I were buying one.

I've had mine for about 8 months now (the professional model) and it's absolutely worth taking up 1/3 of my total counter space. I'm pretty sure mine weighs more than 10 kg but I still move it for cleaning once a week.

I have been trying to use it to knead bread dough and that's about the only thing I haven't completely figured out yet. Any tips and tricks?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2505 on: June 29, 2020, 12:19:19 PM »
Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer, Classic Plus or Artisan series. Factory-refurb will do.

Been making bread weekly for last 4 years in a bread maker. Want to use a stand mixer to make multiple breads and shapes since kids are growing and eat more and they want variety. Plus motivation to make breads seen in baking shows.

The current $50 bread maker works very well, no need to get rid of, hence can't really justify spend a couple of hundred on a new machine. Plus have to find a storage space since it is 14.5 inches tall in the tilt position.

You might have a use case - I certainly don't and I think my cost-per-use for the stand mixer (in crystal blue) is down to $70. Plus it's half a centimetre too tall to fit in any of our shelves or cupboards (non-adjustable) and eats up a spectacular amount of bench space. Oh and weighs 10kg.

I have a professional 5+ and love it.  I use it at a couple of times a week, almost always for kneading bread dough.  I make bread far more often than I would if I had to knead by hand.  I would choose the mixer over a bread machine without hesitation because it gives you a lot more flexibility, but the choice might be more difficult if I already had a bread machine. 

By the way, Kitchenaids seem to be built to last.  By coincidence, mine "walked" its way off the counter and fell about three feet to a ceramic tile floor.  It dented the head a bit, but did absolutely no other damage and it still works perfectly.  I've heard that the older ones were built better than newer ones (mines relatively new), but I'm impressed with the current build quality.  BTW, I'm told that the artisan series has some plastic gears and internals and that the upper level ones use metal.  I'd look into it if I were buying one.

I've had mine for about 8 months now (the professional model) and it's absolutely worth taking up 1/3 of my total counter space. I'm pretty sure mine weighs more than 10 kg but I still move it for cleaning once a week.

I have been trying to use it to knead bread dough and that's about the only thing I haven't completely figured out yet. Any tips and tricks?

When I had my kitchen redone last year, I had a cabinet set aside specifically for my KA.  It has an appliance lift and an outlet inside the cabinet.  I don't even care about losing an entire cabinet to it. 

My experience with bread dough has been that it's somewhat easier to get all the ingredients mixed together with the paddle before changing to the dough hook.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #2506 on: June 29, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »

When I had my kitchen redone last year, I had a cabinet set aside specifically for my KA.  It has an appliance lift and an outlet inside the cabinet.  I don't even care about losing an entire cabinet to it. 

My experience with bread dough has been that it's somewhat easier to get all the ingredients mixed together with the paddle before changing to the dough hook.

I agree that using the paddle to start can be helpful, but with most doughs I find that I can start with the dough hook on the lowest "mix" speed to get things started and then increase the speed once the ingredients have mixed for a minute or so.  The paddle might make things go a little faster, but that would be one more thing to wash... 

I do find that the Kitchenaid recommendation of kneading for just a couple of minutes on level 3 is usually too short.  I usually do about 12 minutes, mostly at level 3, but occasionally at substantially higher levels if the gluten doesn't start developing.  I'm usually making about four pounds of dough, though. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2507 on: June 29, 2020, 02:43:23 PM »
an air fryer
An air fryer is actually a convection oven. So if your oven has a convection feature, you don’t need an air fryer! I ended up getting a $60 toaster oven with convection and love it - it has a much larger capacity, and doubles as a dehydrator, toaster, etc. it’s well worth not having to heat my whole house with the oven most nights as it handles dinner for 2 quite easily and in less time.
My husband just got me an air fryer for my birthday.  So far, I love it.  Our toaster oven is just a regular toaster variety. Our actual stove/ oven does not have convection.  It's also sort of busted.  We could have replaced it first, then not gotten an air fryer. As it is, we can probably make do with the existing stove/oven combo for years now...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2508 on: June 29, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »
summer camp for my kids

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2509 on: June 29, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »
an air fryer
An air fryer is actually a convection oven. So if your oven has a convection feature, you don’t need an air fryer! I ended up getting a $60 toaster oven with convection and love it - it has a much larger capacity, and doubles as a dehydrator, toaster, etc. it’s well worth not having to heat my whole house with the oven most nights as it handles dinner for 2 quite easily and in less time.
My husband just got me an air fryer for my birthday.  So far, I love it.  Our toaster oven is just a regular toaster variety. Our actual stove/ oven does not have convection.  It's also sort of busted.  We could have replaced it first, then not gotten an air fryer. As it is, we can probably make do with the existing stove/oven combo for years now...

i just bought one. i got a nice bonus at work so i'm banking most of it and getting an appliance.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #2510 on: June 29, 2020, 04:09:42 PM »
With all of the baking I am doing, I am lusting after a stand mixer, probably kitchen aide. I have put that on my Christmas list for Mr. Z this year...a nice aqua color if possible! I am making do with a cheapie hand mixer from Walmart...that I bought to replace my last cheapie hand mixer that we got from our wedding...that lasted 45 years! Contrary to Mr. Z's opinion...I am NOT a high-maintenance woman.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2511 on: June 29, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »
an air fryer

i just bought one. i got a nice bonus at work so i'm banking most of it and getting an appliance.
Nice! Which one did you end up getting?

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2512 on: June 29, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »

A kegerator.  The romantic notion of having cider on tap at home whenever I want it......Oh Yeah!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2513 on: June 30, 2020, 04:33:11 AM »
an air fryer

the gowise usa model. it was recommended on america's test kitchen.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2514 on: June 30, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »

I agree that using the paddle to start can be helpful, but with most doughs I find that I can start with the dough hook on the lowest "mix" speed to get things started and then increase the speed once the ingredients have mixed for a minute or so.  The paddle might make things go a little faster, but that would be one more thing to wash... 

I do find that the Kitchenaid recommendation of kneading for just a couple of minutes on level 3 is usually too short.  I usually do about 12 minutes, mostly at level 3, but occasionally at substantially higher levels if the gluten doesn't start developing.  I'm usually making about four pounds of dough, though.
Friend's mum was at bigboxmembershipclub and picked up the last Pro 600 series unit, box had been opened - doesn't matter if everything is in there. Plus friend is willing to return it if we don't like it.
Won't stay on counter though, found a storage cabinet space for it.
found out that the Artisan series' gears are made from Kevlar fiber filled nylon material referred to as “Nylatron", while the Pro 600 has steel gears.
Can't wait to get it and make bread.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2515 on: July 04, 2020, 07:03:30 AM »
an air fryer

the gowise usa model. it was recommended on america's test kitchen.

got it the other day. i was going to try some fries in it last night but it smelled like burned plastic. i let it run on high for an hour but the smell never went away. i'm sending it back today. oh well.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2516 on: July 04, 2020, 12:25:25 PM »
That Americans would stop whining about the loss of their imaginary freedoms because they have to wear facemasks.

Looks like a bunch of 2 year olds throwing their toys out of the pram!

Guess what? You don't have any more "freedom" than anyone else has in a modern Western democracy.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2517 on: July 04, 2020, 01:39:43 PM »
Travel.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2518 on: July 06, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »
a mazda miata. i'm 6'-5" so i probably wouldn't fit but it doesn't matter. i saw one the other day with a vanity plate CRP8DM

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2519 on: July 06, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »
a mazda miata. i'm 6'-5" so i probably wouldn't fit but it doesn't matter. i saw one the other day with a vanity plate CRP8DM

The Koenigseggs are made so that long persons fit.  Slightly pricier than a Miata tho...

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2520 on: July 06, 2020, 08:57:31 AM »

The Koenigseggs are made so that long persons fit.  Slightly pricier than a Miata tho...

ha! i might have to test drive one.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2521 on: July 06, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
My husband is 6'3 and his first car was an MGB.  He looked like a bear riding a tricycle when he drove it.

texxan1

• Stubble
« Reply #2522 on: July 06, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »
T@b teardrop camper.... its my retirement present to myself and it will get used.. if i ever buy it lol.. .STICKER SHOCK is a real things....... but the mustachian in my just says to build my own teardrop camper with my own hands and a save 15k lol

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2523 on: July 06, 2020, 01:40:29 PM »
Aftermarket seats and/or bolting the seat directly to the floor instead of on the slides can help accommodate taller drivers. I have seen a few drivers your size on Miata forums. But yeah, without modifications 6' is about the maximum to be comfortable in an NA/NB Miata. I can't speak for later models.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2524 on: July 06, 2020, 02:15:12 PM »
I'm currently listing after a Foodcycler to do kitchen composting for me and also a Muck Truck E truck to replace my wheelbarrow. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2525 on: July 06, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »
Aftermarket seats and/or bolting the seat directly to the floor instead of on the slides can help accommodate taller drivers. I have seen a few drivers your size on Miata forums. But yeah, without modifications 6' is about the maximum to be comfortable in an NA/NB Miata. I can't speak for later models.
i did drive one once, a newer model. i fit pretty well but it was just a quick trip around the neighborhood. sitting in it for a few hours is another story. i drive a toyota van which is at the other end of the 'chick magnet' spectrum but it is a really nice vehicle to drive and it's set up for camping and it carries my bikes.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2526 on: July 07, 2020, 04:39:08 AM »
New wheels for my pedal bike.

I ride with a club, and most people run tubeless tyres which are much more resistant to punctures. Last night I hit a pothole on a gravel trail and popped the front tube.

Its £400 for a pair of hope wheels, almost as much as the £500 I paid for the bike. Then another £50 for tyres and £50 for the tubless fitting kit. The wheels will end up the same as the rest of the bike

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2527 on: July 07, 2020, 06:43:28 AM »
New wheels for my pedal bike.

I ride with a club, and most people run tubeless tyres which are much more resistant to punctures. Last night I hit a pothole on a gravel trail and popped the front tube.

Its £400 for a pair of hope wheels, almost as much as the £500 I paid for the bike. Then another £50 for tyres and £50 for the tubless fitting kit. The wheels will end up the same as the rest of the bike

that's not a lust item, that's a necessity.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2528 on: July 14, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »
2021 FORD BRONCO!!!!

you and me both....

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2529 on: July 14, 2020, 08:28:05 PM »
A paved driveway. I even have a quote for getting it done. They streets in my neighborhood were paved last year and it seems like a really nice upgrade, but I'm struggling with the Mustachianism of paving my driveway when rock is reasonably serviceable. The driveway is sloped enough to have notable erosion after a heavy rain and requires shoveling ~6 months a year, but it pavement really the answer?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2530 on: July 14, 2020, 08:47:47 PM »
I am no longer lusting for a replacement vehicle.. I have officially purchased what I’ve been lusting after for years and sold my old one..

Do the failures of containing the lust get posted here, or is there a support group somewhere for that?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2531 on: July 14, 2020, 08:50:22 PM »
I am no longer lusting for a replacement vehicle.. I have officially purchased what I’ve been lusting after for years and sold my old one..

Do the failures of containing the lust get posted here, or is there a support group somewhere for that?

My journal is sorta a support group for automotive indulgences. Or maybe it's an enabling group, heh...
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/pursuing-rear-wheel-drive/

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2532 on: July 14, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »

My journal is sorta a support group for automotive indulgences. Or maybe it's an enabling group, heh...
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/pursuing-rear-wheel-drive/

Your journal is great! And hey, everyone needs an indulgence.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2533 on: July 14, 2020, 09:04:02 PM »
@Bloop Bloop / @RWD

It has been posted, let the face punches ensue!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2534 on: July 14, 2020, 11:00:02 PM »

I think you post the failures here so that we can see how quickly the high of spending money fades (or not...unless you stop posting about your new lusts), and use that to buttress our willpower as you begin lusting for something else.

Manchester

• Bristles
« Reply #2535 on: July 15, 2020, 03:41:50 AM »
The stupidest thing I'm lusting after right now is a Tesla.  There's absolutely no good reason why I should get one, yet I find myself coveting them as they drive on by. 

Damn you Elon.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2536 on: July 15, 2020, 04:47:12 AM »
I feel you on the Tesla lust. My leaf only has an 80 mile range. Even though it would make very little difference to me. I really want a 250mile+ ev. 

Engineer93

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2537 on: July 15, 2020, 05:20:30 AM »
The new 2021 Ford Bronco

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2538 on: July 15, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »
The new 2021 Ford Bronco

You and DW.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #2539 on: July 15, 2020, 11:01:53 AM »
The new Ford Bronco.  Really like the 2 door version.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2540 on: July 15, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
The new Ford Bronco.  Really like the 2 door version.

I am equally obsessed with the new Bronco - been taking in all of the renderings and spy photos until the official release this week.  I wish they made an EV version but I like the 4 door. 

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2541 on: July 15, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
I want a patio umbrella

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2542 on: July 15, 2020, 01:03:13 PM »
A vacation.  Specifically the vacation I just booked for next summer.  I wanna leave yesterday, dammit.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2543 on: July 15, 2020, 10:33:49 PM »

I think you post the failures here so that we can see how quickly the high of spending money fades (or not...unless you stop posting about your new lusts), and use that to buttress our willpower as you begin lusting for something else.

My dream car (McLaren 540C/570S) has steadily dropped in value. A year ago the used listings were for $270-$300k, now down to $230-250k for a 2-year-old model. (New value $380-400k) Once it drops down to say $180k-$200k in a further 12-18 months and I can wrangle a $120k swap-over with my present car, I'll pull the trigger and let you know how I fare in terms of dollars v happiness.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2544 on: July 15, 2020, 10:49:43 PM »

I bought a Model 3 four months ago and it's still as glorious as it was on day 1...of course, I ended up picking it up on the day that my company announced work from home so I don't have a commute now x.x

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2545 on: July 16, 2020, 08:33:51 AM »
You guys, Santa Cruz just dropped the 2021 colors for their bicycle range.  This is really stupid (since I have a pretty decent gravel bike already), but I really really want this forest green Santa Cruz Stigmata:

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2546 on: July 16, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »
You guys, Santa Cruz just dropped the 2021 colors for their bicycle range.  This is really stupid (since I have a pretty decent gravel bike already), but I really really want this forest green Santa Cruz Stigmata:

bike porn! nice!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2547 on: July 16, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »
I'm lusting after a different kind of bike porn...

I sold my last motorcycle to get out of the last of my debt back in 2015, and I'm going to get another one when I reach $1 million net worth.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2548 on: July 16, 2020, 12:07:22 PM »
add me to the 2021 Ford Bronco lust-list. 2 door, manual transmission. The base model will suffice.
Can I claim midlife crisis since I'm in my early 40s?
Buying one for cash won't significantly affect my net-worth.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2549 on: July 17, 2020, 05:54:46 AM »
I've been lusting for a Lathe, to do it right, I'd probably need to spend about $2,500,
after accesssories and shipping. I keep telling myself after I clean up my shop and make room.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!